Dan & Phil Part 43: I'll touch you when I please

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
felucca
truth bomb

pearshaped34 wrote:Maybe I'm completely underestimating how invested the majority of people are here but I genuinely believe people having wishes for their new home or feeling happy or sad about it doesn't mean it's a big deal to their own personal lives. I'm not saying no one is invested to that but I personally expect it to be a small minority.
+1 to this.

The TV analogy is a good one. For me this move could be likened to my favourite tv show changing seasons and shaking things up a bit. I get invested in it and have opinions and it's fun to discuss and compare theories and laugh about - buuuut when everything's said and done it's on a pretty superficial level after all. Hardly something that follows me into my IRL life.
Katka wrote:Imagine another gas leak without a landlord around to get it fixed.
Oh god they would DIE. I hope they keep perpetually renting for the rest of their lives.
dat veniam corvis, vexat censura columbas

:dh:
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie
Pronouns: she/her

Hank Green replied to Jon Cozart:
And a fan yelled at him for the response... to which he, imo, took very well.
Personally, if he is doing this for the song, it would fully depend on the tone of the song. His Youtube Culture one made me laugh but it was generic commentary and not a specific callout, not sure I'd find a specific-youtuber-related one as amusing.
autumnhearth
senpai

Ashling Rae wrote:I'm just going to use this forum as an avenue to voice an opinion I never have before, surrounding Dan and Phil getting a dog..

It seems like so many people are pressuring them to get a dog (regardless of where they live) and they're probably doing so jokingly, but they have so many good reasons to not get a dog also. And those reasons are us, essentially. The phandom understands what goes into owning a dog, right? They're much different than a cat. It's not like they could travel and just have Martyn stop in once a day to feed it and clean a litter box. If Dan and Phil do get a dog, that would mean they would not be free to travel as much as they do now. They would have to turn down events, we'd have fewer meet and greets, fewer vacations for them to post about. If you own a dog, you can't just jet set across the world and stick around for weeks on end. Sure, it could stay with a family member or it can be kenneled for a time, but that's not something they would want to do to their pet all the time. I'm definitely in team don't-rush-to-get-a-dog-until-their-careers-slow-down.
Yes! All of this! Sign me up for that team!

I'm very curious about this potential parody. I had to search for Jon Cozart on YouTube. He's the Harry Potter in 99 seconds guy! I hope that it is done tastefully. *watches more videos*

Eta: Umm do you think that guy wearing the same colorful tiger tee as Phil was intentional?
Last edited by autumnhearth on Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
papierklemmen
flower crown

pearshaped34 wrote: That being said while I totally get that part and understand why Dan would feel like his audience is unhealthily invested in him (and Phil) I'm not sure how he (or you) got from there to thinking them moving was going to be a big traumatic upheaval in their audiences lives. Even using the TV analogy does this make sense? TV shows get rid of established sets all the time (particularly crime or action shows where they like to blow them up/burn them down) and is it typical for anyone to feel more than superficial feelings about the affect of losing that set? I honestly don't think 99.9% of people are that invested in their favourite TV shows or D&P.
well, i personally don't understand why this particular event would have been traumatic either, but dan might have his own idea of what he thinks his fans are invested in (as in, someone is attached to the apartment - and lbr someone probably is) or he's just afraid because he sees how the phandom clings to some stuff (maybe he's seen his lot of "i miss your manchester apartment" comments? idk). since this move was actually more of a step forward in the eyes of the phandom (aka they moved together and it's all good), i'm sure the majority would have been happy regardless. i do believe that the true level of how "obsessed" some fans are would show if they moved separately - now that's where you'd see a portion of people crying how it affected their life and they're suffering and dying (see: the sherlock fandom & various wtf moments like signed petitions for bbc to change the ending to canon johnlock, 5 stages of grief, suicide threats, cyberbulling of creators etc.). but yeah, it's not that kind of a situation.
Last edited by papierklemmen on Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gnostic
stress mushroom

Nvm
Last edited by gnostic on Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just here for the marketing skills
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

autumnhearth wrote:Question: When did they say Dan's filming space was the dining room? I watched the ls again last night on my tv and I didn't catch that. Also I don't think it was ever stated that Dan's bed was round. Just that the room felt like the moon and it was a white floating bed.
They didn't, they've been assumed somehow.
onetruetrash
blobfish

alittledizzy wrote:Hank Green replied to Jon Cozart:
And a fan yelled at him for the response... to which he, imo, took very well.
Personally, if he is doing this for the song, it would fully depend on the tone of the song. His Youtube Culture one made me laugh but it was generic commentary and not a specific callout, not sure I'd find a specific-youtuber-related one as amusing.
Wait, can someone explain what was going on? School WiFi won't let me see it.
autumnhearth
senpai

onetruetrash Jon Cozart (a parody singer) seems to be researching for writing a song about Phandom (which he could perform at VidCon).
SquishPhan
capita£ester

I agree with you Ashling Rae about the dog owning. While I like the idea of them owning a dog, I also don't really think that they are ready for one.

Honestly the idea that a song might be made about the phandom just makes me cringe.
onetruetrash
blobfish

autumnhearth wrote:onetruetrash Jon Cozart (a parody singer) seems to be researching for writing a song about Phandom (which he could perform at VidCon).
Thanks! God, I hope that doesn't happen.
felucca
truth bomb

papierklemmen wrote:i do believe that the true level of how "obsessed" some fans are would show if they moved separately - now that's where you'd see a portion of people crying how it affected their life and they're suffering and dying (see: the sherlock fandom & various wtf moments like signed petitions for bbc to change the ending to canon johnlock, 5 stages of grief, suicide threats, cyberbulling of creators etc.). but yeah, it's not that kind of a situation.
Part of me wants this to happen just to watch the meltdown, but I'm a bad person.
dat veniam corvis, vexat censura columbas

:dh:
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

Yeah, I'm definitely Team Cringe re: the song situation.

I didn't read Jon's tweet as wanting to write a song about the phandom, but I don't follow him, so IDK what his motives are with tweets like those anyway. That said, I'm never in support of someone who has no relation to the phandom profiting off of it. No matter the good intensions Hank thinks a song about the phandom may have, I feel like it would make Dan and Phil super uncomfortable???

Also, y'all know I stan Cornelia probs more than I should, but I didn't love her response. Mostly because I don't like giving these things attention.

My general view is: Can the phandom just be left alone? I can appreciate compliments on the phandom's dedication or even a healthy fascination and interest to dig in and learn more, but anything beyond that just makes me tired. :sideeye:
teamug
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

I'd love a tour of their house, this isn't the 'stalker cause I care about deppy' in me talking, it's the 'i love seeing floorplans and imagining how i'd put everything together'.
Buying and owning is a commitment, as much a commitment as getting a dog. Everything costs, and you have to constantly be aware of the state of things, when something is close to needing repair, when something is past due getting fixed, pay someone to fix things, get estimates for repairs, and everything costs, I might not have mentioned that. Clear gutters, roofs are a pain; keep a check on water use, is there a leaking pipe hidden in some wall. And everything costs. And selling..o m g, you do not want to be stuck with two properties, or have to forgo your 'dream future home' because you're burdened with your current domicile. And the insurance..there are no words. But you can drill holes into as many walls as you want.
Also in most metropolitan areas, (because deppy have the cash to spare) renting will get you something much nicer than buying will, unless you're prepared for renovation, which costs money.
This is not meant to dissuade anyone, or crush dreams, or patronize, but I don't think renting is a sign of immaturity, reluctance to 'prove a relationship status', or esp renting in ones' 30's a sign of a failed human being. And I know, no one said that, but I don't know what the deal is with the age 30, it's seen as some mystical benchmark. It's not.
Right then, that was both snarky and overbearing, I'd apologize but that would make my rant moot.
And why would someone make a song about the phandom? It is a large, loud, dynamic, motley bunch of peeps. The only thing these peeps have in common? Correction, there are infact two things. But if he wants make a song about being a fan of Dan and Phil, good for him.
DatCog
blobfish

flarequake wrote:
autumnhearth wrote:Question: When did they say Dan's filming space was the dining room? I watched the ls again last night on my tv and I didn't catch that. Also I don't think it was ever stated that Dan's bed was round. Just that the room felt like the moon and it was a white floating bed.
They didn't, they've been assumed somehow.
I think I said dining room in my earlier post, just because I was speculating as to the original purpose of that room and my vague theory that the snug is actually part of an open-plan kitchen area :)
onetruetrash
blobfish

rizzo wrote:Yeah, I'm definitely Team Cringe re: the song situation.

I didn't read Jon's tweet as wanting to write a song about the phandom, but I don't follow him, so IDK what his motives are with tweets like those anyway. That said, I'm never in support of someone who has no relation to the phandom profiting off of it. No matter the good intensions Hank thinks a song about the phandom may have, I feel like it would make Dan and Phil super uncomfortable???
Literally this. It reminds me of Shane Dawson. I think he's really funny and I like his videos, but I get annoyed when he mentions Dan and Phil. (Some of it comes from an irrational place but my point still stands.) I mean, it was pretty messed up when he mentioned the Uma Therman tweet. I don't think things like that are really okay to talk about outside the Phandom since they probably don't have any context.
shoe
Moderator Emeritus
Pronouns: they/them

Please continue here