Daniel & Phil Part 44: This isn't a forever home

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
/fɪl lɛstɚ/
sad dimple
Pronouns: she/her

myllakka wrote:Watch as Dan's 'cheeky' idea turns out to be setting himself on fire again. It'd explain why they kept going "Dan is...NOT...on fire" so much, right?
Maybe they'll go back to the old apartment and set it on fire.
I am always on Phil Lester's side
SexyTrashCan
morning quiff

MaggieW wrote:I'm the only one that's going to miss "danisnotonfire" as a name? :( I don't see it very cringy as other stuff like the llamas or placentas lol
No you're definitely not alone! :platonic:
:D
/fɪl lɛstɚ/
sad dimple

/fɪl lɛstɚ/ wrote:
myllakka wrote:Watch as Dan's 'cheeky' idea turns out to be setting himself on fire again. It'd explain why they kept going "Dan is...NOT...on fire" so much, right?
edit: oh boy what a shit post for the top of the page

actual edit: i accidentally quoted my post instead of editing what is happening to me
I am always on Phil Lester's side
DatCog
blobfish

Some really interesting points Lefthandedism. I can only speak from the perspective of being a homeowner, having rented for just 4 months when I first got married, many years ago. I realise this makes me sound like such a smug bastard but we were incredibly lucky to be able to buy our first flat in the London suburbs before the prices went ridiculous and then we benefitted from a rising market. It enabled us to move to another part of the country where prices were much lower and get a bigger house than we could otherwise afford on our new lower salaries. I know things are very different now and that getting on the housing ladder is virtually impossible for anyone earning average wages and not having many thousands in savings :( We'd really struggle to do it now.

Home ownership is an expensive business, there's always stuff that needs doing. We've just taken out an additional mortgage to pay for a desperately needed replacement kitchen and will be paying it off for the next 15 years
xaephan
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

/fɪl lɛstɚ/ wrote:
They did say that these was a bunch of footage of them talking about how they destroyed the house that got cut out from the moving announcement, so the dinof video will obviously be that plus the housing going up in flames. Onbrand forever!

[offtopic]
I think I saw a screencap of this when I was doing a google search for something completely irrelevant, but now I can't find it again. It was a tumblr post showing Dan (and Phil? i honestly can't remember if it was the both of them or not) in the same shirt over the years and how it looks different on him. I think Dan was in his cat tshirt? Anyone have any memories of this?
[/offtopic]
if my heart was a compass you'd be north
previously myllakka
lishachi
eclipse shirt

I think if Dan had thoughts about rebranding, moving out was a perfect test to see the reactions to things that the phandom have fond memories/attachments of. danisnotonfire was a ridiculous yet hilarious name when i first saw his channel on youtube, and it was quite endearing that he hadn't changed it since the start. Now they've moved, people have had a little time to adjust to the change, albeit quickly, but the 'seeds' were 'planted' (ahem, some people here already knew about the move from screenshots dan alright) and people had an idea of them moving for a while, so while it was a big shock that they announced it, it wasn't really surprising. So if he decides to rebrand - and I can only think of it being to Dan Howell - then after the move is a pretty good time to do it.

Regarding Phil, the same applies, although has he mentioned re-branding his channel name at all? I know Dan has mentioned it in liveshows quite a bit, but can't recall Phil mentioning it. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

As much as I love both of their branding and/or channel names, they're moving up and on (and out - sorry) and a little change is good now and then. I for one think their channel names/user names are endearing and it's cute that they've kept it (kind of had to kept it going during the book/tour/merch times).

tl;dr, moving a good test for reactions, rebranding similar time might be good idea?
:biflag: :blackheart:
shoe
Moderator Emeritus
Pronouns: they/them

myllakka wrote:[offtopic]
I think I saw a screencap of this when I was doing a google search for something completely irrelevant, but now I can't find it again. It was a tumblr post showing Dan (and Phil? i honestly can't remember if it was the both of them or not) in the same shirt over the years and how it looks different on him. I think Dan was in his cat tshirt? Anyone have any memories of this?
[/offtopic]
Yes, I've seen that before, but I don't think I could find it again. I think it was just Dan, showing how he's grown, particularly how his shoulders have broadened, over the years.
DatCog
blobfish

I don't get the impression that Phil wants to rebrand, at least not at the moment, although he might change his mind after Dan does it. It's interesting that Phil's personal company is called Amazingphil Ltd whereas Dan's is just Dan Howell Ltd and has been since 2014.
auri

I'm just going to pop in just to briefly talk about this absolute gem Dan reblogged to his tumblr a while back. (It's a picture that says: "See? It's easy! All you have to do is not really care what people think.") I know over analysing Dan's tumblr posts is worthless, but I just really hope he really thinks that way. This just makes me all warm inside.

Also this one is probably just to fuck with the phandom but nevertheless, a great post ;)

Please continue with the actual discussion.
lishachi
eclipse shirt

DatCog wrote:I don't get the impression that Phil wants to rebrand, at least not at the moment, although he might change his mind after Dan does it. It's interesting that Phil's personal company is called Amazingphil Ltd whereas Dan's is just Dan Howell Ltd and has been since 2014.
I completely forgot about that! Perhaps a re-brand to Dan Howell has been thought about for a while then, he probably knew one day he'd change it? As for Phil, maybe it'd be too much hassle to change it and then change everything including his company name (I have no idea) but Dan's mentioned his dislike? annoyance? for his name times before. Maybe it's been planned all along.
:biflag: :blackheart:
shoe
Moderator Emeritus

auri wrote:I'm just going to pop in just to briefly talk about this absolute gem Dan reblogged to his tumblr a while back. (It's a picture that says: "See? It's easy! All you have to do is not really care what people think.") I know over analysing Dan's tumblr posts is worthless, but I just really hope he really thinks that way. This just makes me all warm inside.

Also this one is probably just to fuck with the phandom but nevertheless, a great post ;)

Interests me particularly because of the triangles.
Triangles were used on the uniforms of concentration camp victims to indicate the reason for their imprisonment. (more on badge codes) A pink triangle was used to indicate gay men, and has since been re-claimed as a symbol by the gay community. (source)
Does a purple or blue and white triangle have any particular minority group symbolism? Of course if it does, that doesn't mean Dan was aware of that symbolism and was trying to invoke it. I find symbols (like pride flags) developed by queer communities interesting.
throwaway
crusty sponge

you know whats awesome? That one day Phil will be moving in with his girlfriend and he might be a dad and start vlogging about his daily life.

I use to fan girl over Prince harry and look at him now! Moving in with that girl Meghan Markle! I can't wait till they have kids and stuff.

Also, do you guys like me? :?
SexyTrashCan
morning quiff

shoe wrote:
auri wrote:I'm just going to pop in just to briefly talk about this absolute gem Dan reblogged to his tumblr a while back. (It's a picture that says: "See? It's easy! All you have to do is not really care what people think.") I know over analysing Dan's tumblr posts is worthless, but I just really hope he really thinks that way. This just makes me all warm inside.

Triangles were used on the uniforms of concentration camp victims to indicate the reason for their imprisonment. (more on badge codes) A pink triangle was used to indicate gay men, and has since been re-claimed as a symbol by the gay community. (source)
Does a purple or blue and white triangle have any particular minority group symbolism? Of course if it does, that doesn't mean Dan was aware of that symbolism and was trying to invoke it. I find symbols (like pride flags) developed by queer communities interesting.
That's very interesting and I didn't think about it! I'm actually pretty sure from worshipping the game when I was little the picture is from an Animal Crossing game, hence the triangle, but still it's food for thought whether or not it's from an AC game in the first place :wtf:
SquishPhan
capita£ester

I don’t really care that much about the DINOF name, so I would be fine with him changing it.
Same goes for AP, but I also don’t think that Phil wants/feels the need to rebrand at the moment.
xaephan

shoe wrote:
myllakka wrote:[offtopic]
[/offtopic]
Yes, I've seen that before, but I don't think I could find it again. I think it was just Dan, showing how he's grown, particularly how his shoulders have broadened, over the years.
Ahh, thanks! I was able to find it by google "danisnotonfire shoulders" thanks to you comment. It's this post if anyone else was wondering.

I was trying to find it again by looking up 'danisnotonfire cat shirt', which obviously didn't work @_@

About Phil also rebranding: I don't think he's ever indicated wanting to, so I'd be pretty surprised if he did. He'd give it some time before he does it (if he does) though, I doubt they'd both do it at the same time.
if my heart was a compass you'd be north
previously myllakka
lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual

shoe wrote:

It's not exactly the same, but back in the 90s, a pink triangle overlapping with a blue triangle, forming a lavender triangle in the overlap, was a symbol for bisexual pride. So that's what I always think of when I see overlapping triangles.
"If you're left-handed, ask a friend."
"Why am I left-handed?"
"Everybody makes mistakes."
auri

shoe wrote:

Purple triangles were used by Nazis to mark Bible Students the same way pink triangles were used for homosexuals.
Also, purple is known as a LGBT color, it's probably the most used color in all the LGBTA+ flags I think. But I believe that picture is from some kind of a game? Hence the triangle is probably an arrow pointing down, not a triangle.
SexyTrashCan
morning quiff

Just checked and pretty sure the specific game it's from is Animal Crossing Wild World
000dia000
emo goose

Am I missing something? I'm kind of confused how people are analysing the post. Would Dan really make these kind of subtleties? The statement of the post is nice as it is, has it really anything to do with sexuality?
:cactus:
llion
living flop

we know he likes animal crossing, and the screenshot is from WW, so i'm pretty sure it's just... a cheeky screenshot from a game he likes. as someone who played the game i didn't even notice the triangle as "the triangle", since it's an arrow signifying you can move the conversation on by pressing a button. it happens in every interaction with a character, so you just get used to it and forget it's even there. (it's also in a lot of games, minus the color scheme.) until i saw anyone point it out, i just thought you were gonna talk on the "caring what people think" which is relevant to rebranding, but the triangle is a stretch for me.

as for my thoughts on rebranding i'm not sure how that would work from a professional standpoint. so much merch involves their actual usernames, the books, even "PINOF" would not make sense anymore if he switched to just his name. one of the charming things about them (to me) is that their content has grown while their names stayed the same. maybe i don't like change, but i do like the endearing, dorky names. (even though it's kinda like keeping your kid email for adulthood.) and although this would be a minority it's interesting to add that just a couple days ago, googling how old they are, my mother made the comment "you know i knew phil's full name but not dan's." not that their core audience would be anything like my mom, but it's important to point out that their handles are kind of a defining, recognizable trait. if he really wants it i'll get over my sadness eventually, i just can't imagine how you could successfully shake something that ingrained in everything surrounding who you are (as a youtuber).
art credit: koreinkorein (thank you!)
MythicalPinkTrashCan
phabergé

SexyTrashCan wrote:Just checked and pretty sure the specific game it's from is Animal Crossing Wild World
That is exactly where it is from. The triangle is just the "keep scrolling" indicator.

edit: late, as always. someone else said it much better.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

I think the rebranding will happen on a flexible basis. Dan will be more free to be quoted as Dan Howell and not danisnotonfire but he'll still continue to use the danisnotonfire name where it's most applicable - just like Louise now being Louise Pentland on twitter and being comfortable with her full name as a primary association, but still utilizing Sprinkle of Glitter in some of her branding.

I don't actually think this will involve more of a change in content than what we've already seen shifting. The things Dan wanted to leave behind seem to have already been left behind.
llion
living flop

alittledizzy wrote:I think the rebranding will happen on a flexible basis. Dan will be more free to be quoted as Dan Howell and not danisnotonfire but he'll still continue to use the danisnotonfire name where it's most applicable - just like Louise now being Louise Pentland on twitter and being comfortable with her full name as a primary association, but still utilizing Sprinkle of Glitter in some of her branding.

I don't actually think this will involve more of a change in content than what we've already seen shifting. The things Dan wanted to leave behind seem to have already been left behind.
this is how i feel as well!! i'm not sure i've noticed him seeming all that annoyed with the name, but maybe i just haven't been paying attention. louise is a good example, and i can totally see that.

also agreed about the content.
art credit: koreinkorein (thank you!)
shoe
Moderator Emeritus

I don't play Animal Crossing. I've never had a DS or any kind of games console (deprived childhood :( ), so I didn't immediately recognise it as a screenshot from a game, I thought of it as a single aesthetic statement with the triangles as decoration with possible symbolism. Looking at it again, it does look like a blue and white down arrow, with a purple shadow. I'm not trying to read into something that isn't there, don't worry! I just thought I had encountered a new symbol and wanted to learn about it... now I have! Turns out the symbol just meant "keep scrolling". :facepalm:
000dia000 wrote:Am I missing something? I'm kind of confused how people are analysing the post. Would Dan really make these kind of subtleties? The statement of the post is nice as it is, has it really anything to do with sexuality?
I did say
Of course if it does, that doesn't mean Dan was aware of that symbolism and was trying to invoke it.
I just find symbols made/reclaimed by queer communities interesting, I wasn't necessarily trying to relate it to Dan personally. Perhaps I should have used the Off Topic tag to indicate that more clearly.
obliviongrace
*editing tips*

New pastel merch appears to be up at Danandphilshop: https://www.danandphilshop.com/collections/wearables

Edit: I stan Cornelia being the model!
Last edited by obliviongrace on Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.