Daniel & Phil Part 44: This isn't a forever home

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

obliviongrace wrote:New pastel merch appears to be up at Danandphilshop: https://www.danandphilshop.com/collections/wearables
Was just about to post about this. I'm honestly tired of this Japanese thing that has nothing to do with them and would really love something new.
SquishPhan
capita£ester
Pronouns: she/her

obliviongrace wrote:New pastel merch appears to be up at Danandphilshop: https://www.danandphilshop.com/collections/wearables
Yeah sadly not anything that I want. I was hoping for real new sweaters not just the japhan one in different colors. I’m disappointed. And also wondering why it took them this long to release this.
obliviongrace
*editing tips*

I kind of agree that it's a shame they just re-did the Japhan design. It got lost on the last page, but I edited my original post to point out how much I enjoy Cornelia modeling the clothes:
SexyTrashCan
morning quiff

obliviongrace wrote:I kind of agree that it's a shame they just re-did the Japhan design. It got lost on the last page, but I edited my original post to point out how much I enjoy Cornelia modeling the clothes:
^^^
:D
llion
living flop

i really like the japan design so i don't mind, although it would be nice if it was alongside something actually new. cornelia looks rad af there tho ^^

edit: i was floundering but i just bought the poster help
Last edited by llion on Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
art credit: koreinkorein (thank you!)
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

The hats are not something I'd wear, but I still appreciate that they made them and they're subtle. If I were a light pink or a baby blue type of person I might actually go for one of them.

Also like that they made the cherry blossom thing into a poster. I'm similarly disinclined to buy it myself but I think it has a cool look to it. As far as merch posters go, I appreciate their style.
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

Stanning Cornelia sfm rn. It's so nice for the sizing info.

Also considering doing the very thing Phil criticized in the last live show: buying a euro tour shirt, even though I went to a US date. They're so cheap now... and they both look so good on them. :?
lishachi
eclipse shirt

Personally (this is not an attack on them or anything) I feel like they're just re-hashing a design (that is very pretty, credit to who designed it) and bringing it back at a time that has no relevance.

Obviously they can sell whatever they want, and I fully understand they still need an income. Also they've been moving which is obviously stressful and difficult. Just my opinion, wish it was a bit more original. That's all. :D (Feel free to disagree!)

Ok edit time: Cornelia looks amazing. It's so different (in a good way!) to see the merch modelled on a woman! She styles it really well. Sorry If I seem salty or something here, I'm really not, just expected something a lil different.
Last edited by lishachi on Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:biflag: :blackheart:
shoe
Moderator Emeritus
Pronouns: they/them

I don't think I will be buying any of the new merch since the designs aren't my style, but I really appreciate them now using Cornelia as an additional model. I expect seeing the clothes on her as well as on Dan/Phil will be helpful for people with boobs, and for shorter people in general. Good to know how long the size S sleeves are on someone 5"!
missemma
#teamshavedsides
#teamshavedsides

I actually love the pink they've used for the long sleeved tshirt but the japhan design is so boring, I definitely won't be buying anything. Loved seeing Cornelia on there though, she so pretty.

It's my birthday in 2 weeks and would have asked for someone to buy me a signed poster but realised they were £25, which would actually be £30 after postage. £30 for a signed piece of paper is so expensive if you ask me. Guess they have more rent to pay now!
:prideheart: :gayaf: :prideheart:
dontpanic
#relatable

okay so like, it's not the merch I want (not that I have the $$ anyway), but can we all just appreciate how good they look in those pictures ?? although phil in the blue looks like when a little kid wants to go home but has to wait because his mom's talking to someone for ""just a minute""

also seconded, Cornelia is

also I can't quite articulate it, but hasn't Dan already basically rebranded? He's nothing like the danisnotonfire when he rose to internet stardom, What would he change about his content? He doesn't exactly restrain himself to one thing, like how louise wanted to be more authentic. Felix "rebranded" in a sense but he still keeps his handles bc that's how he gets recognition--if feels like Dan's already doing/did that

although, imo dan's branding isn't danisnotonfire all too much anymore, it's more along the lines of "Dan" from "Dan & Phil."
Last edited by dontpanic on Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iero
phabergé

the only thing i like is the caps but no thanks at them just reusing the japhan design and putting it onto pastel jumpers. i was waiting for the signed posters to be sold bc i wanted one but i think £25 is pretty steep for a poster, even if it's signed. the best thing to come out of this is cornelia modelling the merch
Last edited by iero on Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
allsaintshowell
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

rlly annoyed that they're continuing to put japanese kanji on their merch. it's an actual language, not just something they can use for their "~~~ooo we're weeaboos lol~~~" image and profit off of. the caps are something i'd buy if these white men weren't doing white men stuff and they said something else. merch newsletter here.
Image Image
llion
living flop

dontpanic wrote:okay so like, it's not the merch I want (not that I have the $$ anyway), but can we all just appreciate how good they look in those pictures ?? although phil in the blue looks like when a little kid wants to go home but has to wait because his mom's talking to someone for ""just a minute""
they look great, really fresh faced and adorable imo. and phil in the blue is basically me haha.
dontpanic wrote:also I can't quite articulate it, but hasn't Dan already basically rebranded? He's nothing like the danisnotonfire when he rose to internet stardom, What would he change about his content? He doesn't exactly restrain himself to one thing, like how louise wanted to be more authentic. Felix "rebranded" in a sense but he still keeps his handles bc that's how he gets recognition--if feels like Dan's already doing/did that

although, imo dan's branding isn't danisnotonfire all too much anymore, it's more along the lines of "Dan" from "Dan & Phil."
you know i think that's what's been my hangup too. he has seemed fairly happy with his image lately to me.

and oh my god, that's so true. it's been that way for a while. they're just a package deal at this point.
art credit: koreinkorein (thank you!)
SexyTrashCan
morning quiff

allsaintshowell wrote:rlly annoyed that they're continuing to put japanese kanji on their merch. it's an actual language, not just something they can use for their "~~~ooo we're weeaboos lol~~~" image and profit off of. the caps are something i'd buy if these white men weren't doing white men stuff and they said something else. merch newsletter here.
I'm really not the best person to comment on this but it's not exactly cultural appropriation although I agree it's overused it's rather that they have a love for the country and that is not in any way a bad or racist thing but the only people who would be in a position to judge is actual Japanese people and I've never seen any hatred from them towards it. Of course, if you are actually from Japan and think it's cultural appropriation then your opinion is very valid
:D
SquishPhan
capita£ester

Add me to team being happy about Cornelia also doing some modelling. She looks good and it is nice to see the merch on a woman.
simmehchan
butt chair

Really annoyed that they have a bag sale when the bag I wanted, the dark galaxy one, is out of stock and will be for months. :sideeye:

"I think stalking someone to become their friend is rather weird" - Phil Lester, 2006
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

Gonna say it here cos I feel bad tweeting Dan (he said it in a reply) or replying to the newsletter (though I probably still will), it's complement with an e.

The many soft faces of Dan are adorable and Cornelia looks great (Phil does too, but Dan's so cute being all DanielDreamX-y).
autumnhearth
senpai

dontpanic wrote:okay so like, it's not the merch I want (not that I have the $$ anyway), but can we all just appreciate how good they look in those pictures ??
Yes. Yes, we can.

hopinglester
banned

allsaintshowell wrote:rlly annoyed that they're continuing to put japanese kanji on their merch. it's an actual language, not just something they can use for their "~~~ooo we're weeaboos lol~~~" image and profit off of. the caps are something i'd buy if these white men weren't doing white men stuff and they said something else. merch newsletter here.
Thank you for pointing that out, I was unsure of whether I was being over-critical but I see I'm not the only one with those thoughts. It makes me really uncomfortable to see white men who don't speak it using and reducing japanese, a legitimate and normal language, for the purposes of the 'aesthetic' and trying to make the hats seem more inconspicuous. It reminds me of people making tattoos of words in languages they do not understand just because they look more exotic and *pretty*. I didn't critisize the original japhan jumpers because I felt like as they had been produced in the aftermath of the trip, had a special meaning and context, but I'm really not a fan of these hats.
(100% props to nihilist-toothpaste for answering my anon ask on tumblr and agreeing with my pov and adding to it)

EDIT: For the person who pointed out that they didn't think it was cultural appropriation and that it should be a japonese person the one to judge: Personally I think that deppy appreciate japonese culture doesn't really invalidate the point that it is wrong to use the language for purposes like these, especially having in mind they don't speak it and most of the contact they have with it is through anime and etc? A person can do something wrong without meaning to, and I assuredly don't think deppy actually meant to reduce japonese culture with their merch. About the other comment, I do agree that it is better to hear directly from the people that would be directly affected by these (in this case, japonese people), but I think that, despite being white, if I spot something I find problematic and think should be changed I should talk about it even if it doesn't affect me directly. I'd love to hear more thoughts about this from you though.
Last edited by hopinglester on Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Dan dragging Phil for that alien cranium.
auri
Pronouns: they/them

autumnhearth wrote:
dontpanic wrote:okay so like, it's not the merch I want (not that I have the $$ anyway), but can we all just appreciate how good they look in those pictures ??
Yes. Yes, we can.

I am so very into the pastel looks on them and Dan suits pink so well I am in looove
pastelspectre
stress mushroom
Pronouns: he/him

am i the only one actually really liking the merch and really wanting it? as soon as i saw it sent my mom a link of the ash grey sweater asking if she could buy it for me in may.
:transheart:
daichii
rainbow nerd
Pronouns: she | her

The merch is ok. I just realized tho that idk what in heavens they could use to make a new design, they've literally used all the stuff (cat whiskers, lion, llamas, creepy masks, "being weaboos" :sideeye: ) that "represents" them. So what's new now? shibes? phil's game? or maybe the same stuff but with another type of design idk.

I don't envy whoever is in charge of making their merch designs.

Cornelia tho
allsaintshowell

SexyTrashCan wrote: I'm really not the best person to comment on this but it's not exactly cultural appropriation although I agree it's overused it's rather that they have a love for the country and that is not in any way a bad or racist thing but the only people who would be in a position to judge is actual Japanese people and I've never seen any hatred from them towards it. Of course, if you are actually from Japan and think it's cultural appropriation then your opinion is very valid
not this "japanese people haven't said anything about it so it's okay and they're just expressing their love for the culture!!!1" nonsense. this is a form of cultural appropriation, hate to break it to you, and it's not okay.
dianapml wrote:Thank you for pointing that out, I was unsure of whether I was being over-critical but I see I'm not the only one with those thoughts. It makes me really uncomfortable to see white men who don't speak it using and reducing japanese, a legitimate and normal language, for the purposes of the 'aesthetic' and trying to make the hats seem more inconspicuous. It reminds me of people making tattoos of words in languages they do not understand just because they look more exotic and *pretty*. I didn't critisize the original japhan jumpers because I felt like as they had been produced in the aftermath of the trip, had a special meaning and context, but I'm really not a fan of these hats.
(100% props to nihilist-toothpaste for answering my anon ask on tumblr and agreeing with my pov and adding to it)

EDIT: For the person who pointed out that they didn't think it was cultural appropriation and that it should be a japonese person the one to judge: Personally I think that deppy appreciate japonese culture doesn't really invalidate the point that it is wrong to use the language for purposes like these, especially having in mind they don't speak it and most of the contact they have with it is through anime and etc? A person can do something wrong without meaning to, and I assuredly don't think deppy actually meant to reduce japonese culture with their merch. About the other comment, I do agree that it is better to hear directly from the people that would be directly affected by these (in this case, japonese people), but I think that, despite being white, if I spot something I find problematic and think should be changed I should talk about it even if it doesn't affect me directly. I'd love to hear more thoughts about this from you though.
pretty much all of this. like, i've been afraid to simply speak arabic on the phone to my parents in public and there are white people using my language for the aesthetic and profiting off of it. i'm not mad at deppy, i'm just annoyed that they're pulling this shit. i wasn't a part of the fandom for the japan trip and original japhan merch launch but i always just ignored the merch even if it made me a litle uncomfortable because i knew how excited they were about the japan trip. they really could've gone a million different ways with "pastel merch" but instead they expanded upon an old design and made it more insensitive. i was excited for the pastel merch but this is a mess. i'll be saving my coins for something else.
Image Image