Daniel & Phil Part 44: This isn't a forever home

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
onetruetrash
blobfish

All of this talk about what would make you believe they are together kinda got me thinking. Like, what would make you believe they weren't together? Most of the Phandom (including me) ships thems and/or believes they're together. But sometimes I wonder, what if they're not lying and they really are just friends? (I doubt it, but you get my point.) What would make their fans believe them?
starry nightworld
tol bean

pearshaped34 wrote:
I think if they were a man and the woman I'd go the other way and be more likely to believe they weren't together.

They might not be saying the words with quite as much bark as they did in the days when Dan compared giving Phil a blowjob as being as a repulsive idea to him as performing oral sex on your grandmother but the message they are sending is clear.

And personally I think (and this might be my own bias showing here) if they were a man and a woman after this length of time I think I'd probably accept they weren't together. I'd find it harder to justify why a heterosexual couple would be living in a closet for seven years.
Mmm. Plus if they were a man and a woman, I'm pretty sure that Dan's comments re his grandmother would have constituted an insult of epic proportions and would have killed any potential attraction permanently stone cold dead. In fact it's the kind of thing you'd never say about anyone who wasn't solidly in the friend zone.
starry nightworld
tol bean

onetruetrash wrote:All of this talk about what would make you believe they are together kinda got me thinking. Like, what would make you believe they weren't together? Most of the Phandom (including me) ships thems and/or believes they're together. But sometimes I wonder, what if they're not lying and they really are just friends? (I doubt it, but you get my point.) What would make their fans believe them?
lol This is actually me. I watched them for 5 years and never realised shipping them was even a thing until I got onto Tumblr.

I just have never appreciated an element of sexual or romantic attraction between the two of them. (I feel compelled to say this comment has zero relation to either of their sexual orientations because I usually get called all sorts of names when I say this).

I follow all sorts of other fandoms including figure skating (where men and women skate pairs together) so I'm very used to men and women training together 10 hours a day for years on end, performing together, travelling together, often living together to save training money etc etc and still not being romantically involved. So I'm pretty hardened to all of this lol. Obviously people ship these skaters together in a major way - but usually it results in sort of fandom devastation when they produce different boyfriends/girlfriends. Still lots of people remain convinced it's a coverup or that one person is secretly miserable with their partner and is in fact secretly in love with the other person.

At the end of the day, people ship who they gonna ship and there's not much which will convince diehards otherwise. But I do want to say that I feel who a person is dating (while interesting for the first 5 minutes) is usually not the most interesting thing about them. Certainly not when they produce excellent content like Dan and Phil do.
Last edited by starry nightworld on Sat May 06, 2017 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie
Pronouns: she/her

onetruetrash wrote:All of this talk about what would make you believe they are together kinda got me thinking. Like, what would make you believe they weren't together? Most of the Phandom (including me) ships thems and/or believes they're together. But sometimes I wonder, what if they're not lying and they really are just friends? (I doubt it, but you get my point.) What would make their fans believe them?
If they, in 2017, acknowledged again that the vday video was supposed to be a prank, that all of the 2009 flirting, sexual tweets, romantic references, etc were all just a plan from literally before they met to somehow dupe an audience, and admitted that they chose to stop denying the relationship four years ago because they realized it was furthering their career I'd believe them. I just wouldn't like them anymore. People who would do that - who would ever consider faking a gay relationship to such a vulnerable, loving note with the intent of tricking fans - to be a prank, people who would realize the conclusions fans are drawing and choose to stay quiet for the sake of success even though it was manipulating a fanbase made primarily of representation-seeking teenagers - are not people I'd like. And I don't think Dan and Phil are those types of people.

Especially not Dan, with his 2017 authenticity seeking, ISG advice giving, self-reflective, mental health acknowledging, encouraging his little ducklings, not-straight self. If I believed that he was capable of deep-seated ambiguity for the sake of deception and not for the sake of protection, then I wouldn't feel like I knew him at all.

But at the end of the day, none of this questioning makes much sense to me. To each their own, but for me personally - I don't understand striving to explain them in a way that is less than the obvious. Unless it is just that people don't want the mystery to be over so when a relationship seems more and more obvious, some people feel obligated to try even harder to find something less obvious that explains it so they can feel like they're still involved in trying to figure something out.

And if so - whatever makes you happy. This is a conversation that's been happening since the beginning of phan, and it made sense in years past or when they've done things to make people serious doubt that are not 4+ years old - but I don't get why it's a topic now when they're doing nothing but being happy and committed to living together. So I'll just be in the corner enjoying the plethora of happy, settled, domestic Dan and Phil that they're giving us. :)
autumnhearth
senpai

Wow alittledizzy that was absolutely spot on for me. If it was all faked, I too would leave, not because I subscribe to them for the shipping, but because I wouldn't be able trust or respect them. Someone had mentioned earlier they would need/want them to explain the V-Day video and the reason for lying (spiral of lies) in order believe they are together. I really don't think that's necessary and is extremely unlikely to be ever be addressed.

I often think that is one thing that might be preventing them from confirming the nature of their relationship (admitting that they lied). However, logically I know there are so many other reasons to keep it private. So I don't expect to see any kind of admission or denial re: V-Day, just a continuation of the the slow growing in comfort that we have been seeing. And I'm fine with that. Yes, keeping things ambiguous is beneficial to them, as a brand and probably as individuals, whether it is deceitful or not. Shrug.

I got to watch the Sims again this morning. Lots of cute moments, though I didn't catch the Dan pouting moment that I've seen in gifs on Tumblr. Speaking of Tumblr, I do get uncomfortable about people shipping Dab and Evan, but I think it was well put by two of you. Let them be kids, let them be friends, and when they are teens if D&P decide to have them flirt, that's great. It would be a very nice affirmation.

Watched the clips from Playlist you all provided (thanks!) So much fan service (as is to be expected) Harhar "domestic", blah. My favorite moment was "hangry" Phil and comparing him to Dab. (The mouth guard was terrifying).
Last edited by autumnhearth on Sat May 06, 2017 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lishachi
eclipse shirt

alittledizzy wrote:
If they, in 2017, acknowledged again that the vday video was supposed to be a prank, that all of the 2009 flirting, sexual tweets, romantic references, etc were all just a plan from literally before they met to somehow dupe an audience, and admitted that they chose to stop denying the relationship four years ago because they realized it was furthering their career I'd believe them. I just wouldn't like them anymore. People who would do that - who would ever consider faking a gay relationship to such a vulnerable, loving note with the intent of tricking fans - to be a prank, people who would realize the conclusions fans are drawing and choose to stay quiet for the sake of success even though it was manipulating a fanbase made primarily of representation-seeking teenagers - are not people I'd like. And I don't think Dan and Phil are those types of people.
Basically this is how I feel too. I would not like or respect them and would not follow them if they admitted everything was a plan, because that's a long ass time to trick people and it's just not a nice or respectful thing to do. I don't think they're the type of people to do that either, hopefully this never happens and I can just continue to sit with my blanket re-watching videos and waiting for content like the thirsty bitch I am.
:biflag: :blackheart:
DatCog
blobfish

Live stream of D&P's Playlist Live Panel will be here:
Seems to be some disagreement on the timing - it's either in 30 mins or 55 mins!
autumnhearth
senpai

So this happened this morning. As soon as I came downstairs the kiddo approached me with a dry erase marker and had PINOF queued up on the tv. So please excuse my hair. He said, "Make sure you draw the whiskers to the edge of the eyes".

We've read all of TABINOF that we each feel comfortable reading together. There are some parts he doesn't care about at the moment and other parts I need to read first to see if they are age appropriate, like school and University stories.

(Yes I posted this separately because I would really like to stop being Delia Smith's placenta)
autumnhearth
senpai

Okay, so the panel they are going to be on starts at 12:30 pm EST (in 40 mins). Yay! Thanks for the link. b]DatCog[/b]
corininin
not a first-time poster

MythicalPinkTrashCan
phabergé

DatCog wrote:Live stream of D&P's Playlist Live Panel will be here:
Seems to be some disagreement on the timing - it's either in 30 mins or 55 mins!
Is this a legit live stream or is it a person with a phone? And does anyone know if it's going to be saved and left up after the fact? I got stuff to do today deppy, I can't sit and watch you guys talk live again. The kids need food

edit: It's a legit stream. Clicking it answered the question. :facepalm:
bluebox-away
woodland creature

MythicalPinkTrashCan wrote:
DatCog wrote:Live stream of D&P's Playlist Live Panel will be here:
Is this a legit live stream or is it a person with a phone? And does anyone know if it's going to be saved and left up after the fact? I got stuff to do today deppy, I can't sit and watch you guys talk live again. The kids need food
It's a proper live-stream on the playlist live youtube account so I expect it'll be available afterwards :) it's one massive stream for the whole session though so you'll have to find the right bit amongst several hours when you watch it back
06/04/2016 - I found The Weakest Link :ninja:
Gif credit: IckleMissMayhem
xaephan
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

It's starting! I'm loving Dan's little sweater, it's so baggy and giving him nice sweater paws.
Last edited by xaephan on Sat May 06, 2017 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
if my heart was a compass you'd be north
previously myllakka
sugar
eclipse shirt
Pronouns: they/them

first thought: i LOVE dans shirt
DatCog
blobfish

Dan in stripes is a GREAT look...earrings have gone though!
xaephan
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

Hm, is the livestream working for anyone about half way through the 'when you realized you had a community' question? Mine just stops there and nothing I do will get it to load again.

Edit: Oh, it started again...kinda. Mostly just lagging a lot.
if my heart was a compass you'd be north
previously myllakka
DatCog
blobfish

myllakka wrote:Hm, is the livestream working for anyone about half way through the 'when you realized you had a community' question? Mine just stops there and nothing I do will get it to load again.
Same :(
SquishPhan
capita£ester

myllakka wrote:Hm, is the livestream working for anyone about half way through the 'when you realized you had a community' question? Mine just stops there and nothing I do will get it to load again.
Yeah it is very laggy.

I don't think I'm a fan of Dan's shirt.
sugar
eclipse shirt
Pronouns: they/them

it's fully back for me now
/fɪl lɛstɚ/
sad dimple

I'm big on Julien & Jenna as of late so whenever I pressed play and deppy are squeezed on a couch with Julien... Wow what did I do to deserve this?
I am always on Phil Lester's side
Diyes_Celine
truth bomb

Hmmm... I remember the host from last year (i think) and I don't like him. I mean he is an ok host. But he is a bad interviewer so good luck to us.

I like that Julien and Phil are bonding over hamster. In an alternate universe, I really want Phil to marry Jenna. This is the closest that I can get. I LOVE Jenna's videos about their new hamster. I really want Phil to collab with Jenna so Phil can teach her how to breed or to take care of hamsters. I also like that Dan, Phil and Julien are sitting on one couch. While, Tom shares it with the girl. It's so unbalanced.

The topic really is something for Dan and Phil. They have a dedicated and tight-knit community. I want to hear Tom's answers though. Interviewer, come on. Engage everyone.
Last edited by Diyes_Celine on Sat May 06, 2017 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lost686girl
living flop

/fɪl lɛstɚ/ wrote:I'm big on Julien & Jenna as of late so whenever I pressed play and deppy are squeezed on a couch with Julien... Wow what did I do to deserve this?
I'm shook about this as well. 3 sweet cuties on a couch? Wowza. Also Julian and Jenna are such a YouTube couple...very interesting to compare d&p to them
bluebox-away
woodland creature

For the fashion police, Dan's imo great top is from All Saints, surprisingly
https://www.allsaints.com/men/t-shirts/ ... gory=21478
So far enjoying the panel and the stream quality is actually pretty decent I'm impressed love the idea of a foam mic to toss into the crowd that's actually really cool
06/04/2016 - I found The Weakest Link :ninja:
Gif credit: IckleMissMayhem
autumnhearth
senpai

Love the stripes. "Let's get cozy, aww." Hamster breeding. Exploding hamsters. Was lagging. Back on.

are bad for your pores. Oops.

Phil involved in Buffy fandom. Lonely teenage Dan.

Shout out to the mums and dads- Dan

Phil looks a bit tired.

Plush dice mic. "Can hamsters eat pancakes?"- Dan "Anime hamster."- Phil "All of us wish we were as beautiful as that hamster"- Dan

Phil's peak was in the 60's, harhar.

Seeing passionate people. Lag.
autumnhearth
senpai

Major lagging and nervous phangirl: "For Dan we all know what inspired him." Lol. Asking what inspired Phil to make videos and make people smile...