Daniel & Phil Part 44: This isn't a forever home

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
fancy_nancy
phabergé
Pronouns: she/her

I already miss the old danny fire branding :( jk, I'm happy he finally did it but it's just so iconic it's weird. Daniel Howell does sound like a cool person tho haha
I don't get why people are saying this might be "temporary", could someone explain to me please?
sugar
eclipse shirt
Pronouns: they/them

fancy_nancy wrote:I already miss the old danny fire branding :( jk, I'm happy he finally did it but it's just so iconic it's weird. Daniel Howell does sound like a cool person tho haha
I don't get why people are saying this might be "temporary", could someone explain to me please?
i'm not sure if this is what everyone else means, but i kind of doubt that anyone is going to start actually calling him daniel. like i assume phil (and his other friends) will continue to call him dan, their branding revolves around the phrase 'dan and phil', etc. so he might decide that while daniel howell sounds cool, it's not Really who he is. just my thoughts.
llion
living flop

tactigdsve wrote:Daniel Howell! that's so.... dorky. makes me think of a little boy with his cotton shirt tucked into his grey school shorts. white socks up to his knees. lil polished oxfords. freshly combed locks. he loves his dog, he loves the playground. and he loves.... justice. coming to a cinema near you this summer. no, i kid (and so is he, apparently!)
thank you so much for this visual.
art credit: koreinkorein (thank you!)
bluewho
truth bomb

fɪl lɛstɚ/ thank you!!1!1!/!!! xD
awsugar wrote:
fancy_nancy wrote:I already miss the old danny fire branding :( jk, I'm happy he finally did it but it's just so iconic it's weird. Daniel Howell does sound like a cool person tho haha
i'm not sure if this is what everyone else means, but i kind of doubt that anyone is going to start actually calling him daniel. like i assume phil (and his other friends) will continue to call him dan, their branding revolves around the phrase 'dan and phil', etc. so he might decide that while daniel howell sounds cool, it's not Really who he is. just my thoughts.
The problem being of course, that it might be too much hassle to change back if he doesn't like it. I think even if he doesn't like it he'll just stick with it and bitch and moan about how cringey it is for the next eight years.
allsaintshowell
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

tactigdsve wrote:Daniel Howell! that's so.... dorky. makes me think of a little boy with his cotton shirt tucked into his grey school shorts. white socks up to his knees. lil polished oxfords. freshly combed locks. he loves his dog, he loves the playground. and he loves.... justice. coming to a cinema near you this summer. no, i kid (and so is he, apparently!).
daniel howell to me is the art heaux in your intro to media lecture who lives in a loft in brooklyn and carries around a moleskin journal filled with random poetry and character designs for a video game, who lined up for the nintendo switch and then went to some obscure band's show in a brooklyn warehouse. can you tell i go to a school where this stuff is common

i don't think this is something temporary. maybe a year from now he'll realise he doesn't really like the "daniel howell" branding that much, but he's definitely given this thought and considered it all, otherwise he just would've stayed danisnotonfire and really made a big effort to push the lolrandom XD branding away. i wonder if he'll still refer to things as "dinof" (ex: "new dinof video," "the dinof desk," etc.) or if he'll just say main channel (saying "new daniel howell video" would sound weird tbh).
Image Image
daichii
rainbow nerd
Pronouns: she | her

if Phil doesn't start calling him Daniel just to annoy him i'm unsubscribing
a lot of fuss for the change but I guess it's best if it is from his side than from the phandom, I haven't seen people freaking out about it which goes to show how much overdue this was
chunchun
phillion/danosaur <//3

daichii wrote:if Phil doesn't start calling him Daniel just to annoy him i'm unsubscribing
a lot of fuss for the change but I guess it's best if it is from his side than from the phandom, I haven't seen people freaking out about it which goes to show how much overdue this was
I agree! When he started alluding to it earlier this year during liveshows and a bit last year it just kinda made me want the name change more. It really has been a long time coming. I thought it would just be Dan though, but Daniel is also fine with me, and I think it suits where he's at right now. I don't think it'll disrupt the Dan and Phil brand at all, either. Also, we don't completely ever lose the username on youtube either so like he said, it'll always be there.

It's kind of weird seeing the thread name changes on here though haha, but I'll get used to it.

Anyway yes, I also need to see Phil calling him Daniel just to be annoying haha~
llion wrote:
i'm actually pretty irritated with #notmydan, some of it is funny but i'd rather show him support in this instance. outside of that, however, i'm enjoying twitter. for example:
i yelled.
this is the best omg.
karma_yeah
philussy

malday wrote:
fancybum wrote:
Also, look, some peer support:
and some friend support:
I was a little surprised by this. She certainly has a right to feeling that way, but I wish she'd been more supportive publicly or not said anything at all.

A couple of people said they didn't think the re-branding warranted a video, but I beg to differ. No matter what he did, it was going to trend, but had he NOT addressed it, I think there would have been a very unhappy phandom (phanieldom?? nah, I'm sticking with phan and phandom)

That said, I personally liked the video (I must have way lower standards than daniel howell). I enjoyed it a lot, laughed out loud at parts, thought it was a good length and went at a good pace.

I don't really care what he calls himself professionally, but I'm glad there's no retroactively re-naming other things that end with -OF (PINOF, TATINOFF, TABINOFF). And he said his audience could call him whatever they like. I just didn't see the pretentiousness or condescension some others here seemed to feel. It seems to be a step towards a more chill, wholesome, confident Dan, and I'm for that!

I'll be interested in hearing Phil's thoughts on the whole thing too. He seems very, very happy lately. Loving 2017 so far (I'm not expecting a change from AmazingPhil anytime soon, but wouldn't be surprised if it happens down the road a year from now).

Loved dizzy's tumbler post too! Very insightful and well-said!
What goes around, comes around Image
skyway
not a first-time poster

karma_yeah wrote:

and some friend support: I was a little surprised by this. She certainly has a right to feeling that way, but I wish she'd been more supportive publicly or not said anything at all.
i don't think bryony was being serious here
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

skyway wrote:
karma_yeah wrote:

and some friend support: I was a little surprised by this. She certainly has a right to feeling that way, but I wish she'd been more supportive publicly or not said anything at all.
i don't think bryony was being serious here
Definitely not being serious, considering her second tweet following right after was:
And speaking of twitter responses:
onetruetrash
blobfish

anime_is_not_cool wrote:is everyone just gonna ignore the fact that cherrybomb3 is either actually Dan or doing really good job pretending to be? not even joking, i thought that was just a funny joke but i couldnt resist the urge to search his posts and some of the stuff was REALLY or is it just an accepted and ed fact here?

can you tell im bored but also hi dan
Also his description says he'll "regret making this eventually"
Reizam
butt chair

alittledizzy wrote:
Ha! I've always wondered if dinof was a reference to alexisonfire, does anyone know for sure if it is?
skyway
not a first-time poster

Reizam wrote:
alittledizzy wrote:
Ha! I've always wondered if dinof was a reference to alexisonfire, does anyone know for sure if it is?
Phantasy
woodland creature

Dan and Phil sound like generic radio presenters (go figure)... but Daniel and Phil, sound like the cute gay couple that just moved into your same building and always give you a friendly wave when they take their dog out for a walk.
llion
living flop

karma_yeah wrote:
A couple of people said they didn't think the re-branding warranted a video, but I beg to differ. No matter what he did, it was going to trend, but had he NOT addressed it, I think there would have been a very unhappy phandom (phanieldom?? nah, I'm sticking with phan and phandom)

That said, I personally liked the video (I must have way lower standards than daniel howell). I enjoyed it a lot, laughed out loud at parts, thought it was a good length and went at a good pace.

I don't really care what he calls himself professionally, but I'm glad there's no retroactively re-naming other things that end with -OF (PINOF, TATINOFF, TABINOFF). And he said his audience could call him whatever they like. I just didn't see the pretentiousness or condescension some others here seemed to feel. It seems to be a step towards a more chill, wholesome, confident Dan, and I'm for that!

I'll be interested in hearing Phil's thoughts on the whole thing too. He seems very, very happy lately. Loving 2017 so far (I'm not expecting a change from AmazingPhil anytime soon, but wouldn't be surprised if it happens down the road a year from now).

Loved dizzy's tumbler post too! Very insightful and well-said!
i agree that if he didn't address it in a video it wouldn't have been pretty. we all saw it coming to an extent cause we follow what they do very closely, all their social media, liveshows, etc. even i might not have been as sure of it happening if i hadn't seen everyone's analysis here. as someone who was fairly casual for a long time, thanks to my hatered of most social media, i would have had no clue a year ago, and would have been confused when i saw his next video without an explanation. he's gotta cover all his bases for viewers of every level. i personally appreciated the explanation in a video anyway, because he seems really happy with it and like he really needed it.

i also enjoyed the video as a whole! i don't quite understand where the "condescending dan" view comes from. he's super sarcastic, and pokes fun at everything (including himself), but i don't ever feel like he's talking down to me. i'm ready for the rise of wholesome howell! (on a side note, there should totally be wholesome howell/lighthearted lester emoticons. anywhere to suggest this?)

i think phil's gonna be teasing, but proud. i'm sure he's heard all of dan's thoughts about this for a while now. he'll probably refuse to call him anything but daniel for a video. they both do seem extra happy lately though, which i love a lot.
skyway wrote:
Reizam wrote:
alittledizzy wrote:
i hate love him.
Reizam
butt chair

skyway wrote:
Reizam wrote:
alittledizzy wrote:
Thanks skyway!
readingmama
dank meme

Alright so the move has happened and the re-brand has happened! Is that all that they have been dropping hints about?

They laid a lot of the groundwork for these things slowly over a while which leads me to think that they have some kind of a plan so I have to ask:

What's next for these two? More domestic stuff like vacations or a re-focus on producing You Tube content?Is it time for them to get back into radio or TV presenting or some other project?

I feel like this is a transition period for them and I'm very curious to see what they do next.
Ilovethemohyesido
living flop

The only thing about the Daniel change was that he has said that he doesn't feel like a Daniel.
I do wonder about Phil though, he hasn't made a comment about it, obviously he knew in advanced since, well it's Phil.

Is Phil going to call him Daniel? More than that I wonder of he will joke about the fact that since now the «curse of the D,» doesn't apply anymore, will they be Phil & Daniel now. I know he'll be joking but it would be fun if he mentioned.it.
quietphan
not a first-time poster

I don't know if anyone has mentioned it, but his personal facebook (the one linked to spotify) has always been Daniel Howell. So I suppose he's always used Daniel in some capacity, just not necessarily with us.
shhhh.
llion
living flop

quietphan wrote:I don't know if anyone has mentioned it, but his personal facebook (the one linked to spotify) has always been Daniel Howell. So I suppose he's always used Daniel in some capacity, just not necessarily with us.
interesting observation! it makes sense since a lot of people use their full names on facebook, he may have gotten the idea that he liked the look from there.
daichii
rainbow nerd
Pronouns: she | her

Reizam wrote:
alittledizzy wrote:
part of me secretly thinks that all the rebranding is just him copying anthony senpai
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

Hello y'all I have more thoughts.
bluewho wrote:fɪl lɛstɚ/ thank you!!1!1!/!!! xD
awsugar wrote:

The problem being of course, that it might be too much hassle to change back if he doesn't like it. I think even if he doesn't like it he'll just stick with it and bitch and moan about how cringey it is for the next eight years.
Thoughts that relate to this. So one of the reasons for the change to Daniel that he gave in his video is that it sounds 'softer'. He's been all about this soft trend crap lately and I wonder what will happen when the internet collectively moves on from it. Stuck with the soft Daniel name but ban all the soft colors in his closet just like how he banned the leather? Thinking about Dan and trends as well, I know everyone praises Dan for embracing his curls as him accepting himself more buuut I'm pretty sure I remember him saying that part of the reason that he is rocking his natural hair rn is that it's just a trendy thing right now and that when it isn't anymore he might straighten his hair back to death again? He seems very vulnerable to whatever is cool lately. idk despite Daniel being his actual real name I'm not sure this rebrand is in any way more timeless because of how inspired it seems to be by trends.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
Lobster
glabella
Pronouns: She/Her

I can totally understand Dan's desire to rebrand as Daniel while still being referred to as Dan generally. I go by a shortened version of my name in everyday life, its how I introduce myself. But on facebook, any official documents, when I do acting work, I always use my full name. I feel more like the shorter name, but I like having my full name on official things. I don't really know how to explain why, its just a thing. I can definitely empathise with Dan.
swofro
angel bean

My initial response when the change is happening is WHAT IS GOING ON?!!!!1! because I don't like change in general. But after watching the video and had calm down considerably, I am actually excited for this change and looking forward for what this rebranding mean in terms of productivity of his works. Will this rebrand makes him feel more peace with himself and allow him to create something without the usual hurdle of over pressuring himself? I hope so. All the best for him.

I am team Phil and Daniel, because it sounds nice. Day In The Life of Phil and Daniel.

Daniel Howell also trending in twitter UK for quite awhile last night

In other news Bonus, me trying out writing Daniel Howell
Love is forever
felucca
truth bomb

bluewho that's my favourite signature ever.

So I had an actual dream about Dan and Phil tonight. Yup. And it was very obviously triggered by Dan's rebranding because it was very Dan-focused and in the dream he kept rejecting different aspects of his personality and Phil kept trying to hand him different objects that belonged to Dan but Dan wouldn't have them.

I'm on team already missing the fuck out of the cringy 2006 branding. Llamas or not it was a good branding. But I get it, too. Dan's always seemed very preoccupied with what other people think of him and I think he needed this. Also if he was ever going to rebrand this is a good time for it - right after Tatinof (with its llamas and Maltesers...) has ended and before any new projects start.

Low-key looking forward to whatever is that next project because by now I'm very, very done with Tatinof and Dapgo and Deppy living in their own little Youtube bubble world. It's cozy, but let's get some outside influence now, shall we? :platonic:

Btw Daniel not being able to keep a straight face when referring to what he does as his "career" is the most relatable thing he's done all year lmfao. Sometimes other IRL adults make a passing mention of my "career" - without even using citation marks - and that's when I realise I've successfully fooled everyone.
dat veniam corvis, vexat censura columbas

:dh: