Daniel & Phil Part 44: This isn't a forever home

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
malday
emo goose

livestream
Ashling Rae
*editing tips*
Pronouns: she/her

malday wrote:
Ashling Rae wrote:Susanisnotafish and Grey had amazing points of view, imo.

I think for me, personally, to be convinced 100% of their relationship I would need exactly that, a sit-down, no jokes, heart-to-heart of sorts. This goes either way. I mean, I'm like 99% convinced they are together on most days, but I will never say 100% until they tell me.

It makes me feel bad to say that I'd believe them today when I don't believe their past selves, but I feel like so much has changed.

Tbh, even though I say I believe they're together, I guess I don't really mean that. I think there is a high chance that they don't follow what we would typically consider a romantic LT relationship. I don't necessarily believe they share a bedroom, for example. What I am convinced of is that they are very fond of each other, very committed to each other and their life together, and love each other very deeply. I'm not sure how much I care about the rest of the details.
This has been said a thousand times, but, if they were a heterosexual couple, would anyone still think the same way?
I'm a little confused by your question, tbh. I may be interpreting it wrong, so feel free to correct me, but this sounded like you are somewhat offended that would require them to tell me what they are to each other for me to be sure, or because I think their relationship may be somewhat unconventional, and that may be based on the fact that they are both men. Either way I say, while I don't pretend to be completely free of bias, I don't think I would think any differently if they were opposite sexes. Mainly I feel like, if they are in a relationship, it may not be exactly what we think of relationships because 1. they have separate bedrooms, which most adult co-habitating couples do not, and 2. they've very bluntly denied being in a relationship in the past, which may be covering it up, or (again, this is predicated on the assumption that there is something romantic between them) it could be because they weren't really sure if they were technically a couple. I've known people in opposite-sex relationships who really struggled to define what they were to each other, or didn't feel the need to define it, and that's okay. Basically, I'm just saying that I try to keep my mind open with these two. And I mean, it's also very possible that they just keep an extra bedroom to hide a relationship, and that they denied phan for the same reason. I'm just open to more than one interpretation of their relationship.
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

awsugar wrote:

dan has his earrings back in??
Dan trying to get me back into his lane I see.

It's funny how Phil still isn't all that comfortable with a mic after all these years. He has a death grip on that thing.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual

Catallena wrote:
awsugar wrote:

It's funny how Phil still isn't all that comfortable with a mic after all these years. He has a death grip on that thing.
Wow, the earrings. Guess he found them in the move.

And Dan let the "other" side of his face be photographed. I like them posed like that.
"If you're left-handed, ask a friend."
"Why am I left-handed?"
"Everybody makes mistakes."
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

I don't have much to say on the topic of speculating about them not being together. It's how closeted people act when they aren't ready to be out, and there are many reasons for people to not ready to be out. Dan's behavior, alone, was that of someone who was defensive of his sexuality and not ready to be out to his audience. Look at him now; no one (dear lord, I hope) is arguing that he's straight. Dan and Phil's behavior, together, was that of people who were defensive of their relationship and not ready to be out. And... look at them now. :)

Onto happier things - Playlist clips. (If you have sensitive ears, turn your volume down. Most of these clips are 90% shrieking.)

Dan saying that Phil should change his name to Philip, or "Big P" -
Dan saying Phil is secretly evil - "You think he's an angel, but he eats kittens when he's not on youtube."/it's dangerous for Phil to be where it's so hungry/Phil's pancake trauma this morning:
Pigeon (new pet) mention/domestic cereal #bants:
Dan with a mouthguard (??) in, saying 'danisnotonfire':
malday
emo goose

Ashling Rae wrote:
malday wrote:

I think for me, personally, to be convinced 100% of their relationship I would need exactly that, a sit-down, no jokes, heart-to-heart of sorts. This goes either way. I mean, I'm like 99% convinced they are together on most days, but I will never say 100% until they tell me.

It makes me feel bad to say that I'd believe them today when I don't believe their past selves, but I feel like so much has changed.

Tbh, even though I say I believe they're together, I guess I don't really mean that. I think there is a high chance that they don't follow what we would typically consider a romantic LT relationship. I don't necessarily believe they share a bedroom, for example. What I am convinced of is that they are very fond of each other, very committed to each other and their life together, and love each other very deeply. I'm not sure how much I care about the rest of the details.
This has been said a thousand times, but, if they were a heterosexual couple, would anyone still think the same way?
I'm a little confused by your question, tbh. I may be interpreting it wrong, so feel free to correct me, but this sounded like you are somewhat offended that would require them to tell me what they are to each other for me to be sure, or because I think their relationship may be somewhat unconventional, and that may be based on the fact that they are both men. Either way I say, while I don't pretend to be completely free of bias, I don't think I would think any differently if they were opposite sexes. Mainly I feel like, if they are in a relationship, it may not be exactly what we think of relationships because 1. they have separate bedrooms, which most adult co-habitating couples do not, and 2. they've very bluntly denied being in a relationship in the past, which may be covering it up, or (again, this is predicated on the assumption that there is something romantic between them) it could be because they weren't really sure if they were technically a couple. I've known people in opposite-sex relationships who really struggled to define what they were to each other, or didn't feel the need to define it, and that's okay. Basically, I'm just saying that I try to keep my mind open with these two. And I mean, it's also very possible that they just keep an extra bedroom to hide a relationship, and that they denied phan for the same reason. I'm just open to more than one interpretation of their relationship.
Not offended at all. Just pointing out that that bias often plays a role in how people perceive the nature of their relationship.
pearshaped34
morning quiff

malday wrote:

I think if they were a man and the woman I'd go the other way and be more likely to believe they weren't together.

D&P have repeatedly denied being in a relationship. And it's not just a thing of the past, even if the denials aren't quite as loud as they were in 2012 they still happen. For example Dan put into his roast rap a line about people shipping him with his friend. They made a big deal of how they don't share beds in both the Aus DITL and their tour documentary. These are essentially denials of their relationship.
They might not be saying the words with quite as much bark as they did in the days when Dan compared giving Phil a blowjob as being as a repulsive idea to him as performing oral sex on your grandmother but the message they are sending is clear.

And personally I think (and this might be my own bias showing here) if they were a man and a woman after this length of time I think I'd probably accept they weren't together. I'd find it harder to justify why a heterosexual couple would be living in a closet for seven years.
Last edited by pearshaped34 on Sat May 06, 2017 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
xaephan
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

A lot sure happened today, wowza.

Not much to say about the Sims episode, except that I found the gameplay mostly boring (I find the Sims boring in general though), but the bits where they were excited dads were cute!

Dan's look for Playlist is nice, and now that I've seen that shirt while he's moving around, it's not as bad as I thought it was in Australia. Earrings, too!

The livestream I've been using is this one, which has bits of lag but isn't as full of screaming as some others.
if my heart was a compass you'd be north
previously myllakka
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Phil asking Dan if he'd rather have "Dan Is Not On Fire" tattooed onto his head, or turn into a llama:
Dan asking Phil if he'd rather give up cereal for life, or give up pancakes for life:
Ilovethemohyesido
living flop

Adorable Phil actually thought this through. «Can I take it back?,»
captainspacecoat
stress mushroom

I didn't find that sims video boring at all, it was one of my favs they've uploaded in a while! I think I just really enjoy the more domestic sims videos where they're gushing over a virtual child, compared to the ones that are more based on exploring gameplay (I think I've just spent so many years of my life playing sims at this point that I'm most entertained by gameplay that is specific to dnp, rather than features of the game that I can explore in my own time, but that comes down to personal taste really). They both seemed to be in a really good mood (Dan especially) and their interactions with each other were really pleasant (not that they aren't usually, but they seemed to genuinely just be having a great time together). 8.5/10 from me!

re: what would it take for me to believe they are/aren't together - Right now, I'm about 99% sure they are in a relationship, and that skyrocketed from about 70% sure in the last week or so. For me, Dan's comments in the liveshow the other day about adopting a dog with Phil one day cemented for me the idea that, at the very least, they plan to spend longer than the foreseeable future together and to me that suggests that they are in a relationship. I personally can't interpret those comments any other way.

For that 99% belief to be pushed to 100% they'd have to explicitly say something like "we are in a relationship" or do something that really can't be interpreted as anything but romantic. In order for me to believe they aren't together, they would have to move apart, reveal other partners or explicitly and seriously say that they are not in a relationship (of their own volition, not in response to being asked by a fan).

re: playlist - 1. I love that Dan's earrings have returned, he really suits them! 2. It weirds me out that youtubers who don't actually have any sort of relationship with dnp think they are entitled to take creep shots of them, even more so than it does when viewers take creep shots 3. I wish I could watch those videos of dnp's performance but I can't handle the screaming, it gives me such bad secondhand embarrassment. Also I hope anyone at playlist has a great time!
Susanisnotafish
flower crown
Pronouns: She/her

For some reason I really preferred this performance to the one in Australia. Just seemed more natural maybe, less scripted, probs bc shorter segments and not having to do it twice. Love the earrings! Love Phil's sassiness. Hope they go out and have some cocktails tonight and show up in a vlog or two. Is Cat there? What about Louise?
"Rub those freckles all over me!" --Daniel Howell
pilotlight
#relatable
Pronouns: he/him

I loved the Sims video but I'm forever a sucker for just watching them decorate and coo over Dab so it's not like the bar was set very high. I don't find their Sims videos exciting but they're like visual comfort food, just fluffy empty calorie, and exactly what I was happy to watch after a long-ass day.
Them being excited over his bunny slippers was adorable and I'm glad they age up Evan so he has a friend. I wonder if they might be a bit bored of Dil and I'm sure a lot of their audience is too, so the kid sims might be a nice way to change things up a bit. I am curious if they have any kind of end goal in mind. Do they have a general idea of how much longer they want to keep playing or what life events they want to check off for Dil, or will it just depend on views?
Ashling Rae
*editing tips*

malday wrote:
Ashling Rae wrote:
malday wrote:

Not offended at all. Just pointing out that that bias often plays a role in how people perceive the nature of their relationship.
Yes, I definitely think there is something to be said about that. I don't think anyone can completely remove their biases, so I find it very important to keep them in check and actually think about how they affect our thoughts and actions. So it is a good reminder!

Re: Playlist- Thank you all for these links, oh my god.
pastelspectre
stress mushroom
Pronouns: he/him

i couldn't watch all the playlist videos bc the buffering omg and the screaming gives me second hand embarrassment

but the sims video was good! it was v cute and enjoyable. i found myself giggling at a lot of their jokes and bants. i'm glad they aged up dab and evan. not much else i can say tho other than that.
:transheart:
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Sims #39 timestamps:

:07 - "think of the children. we're not." - misspeak? for a second i thought he realized it sounded like he was talking about them thinking of having children but he immediately relates it to audience = children and clarifying they aren't, so maybe he just didn't want to seem insensitive towards a young audience?
:14 - "don't talk about the words, the words they just come, they mean nothing" - Phil trying to move him along forcefully
:21 - Phil seems uncomfortable until he gets back on track with the video intro.
1:14 - "you pick up on everything, don't you?" "you see it all" - self-awareness
1:50 - "get your hand down that u-bend stat" - "and other things i'm not particularly comfortable with you saying"
2:04 - Phil jokes about Dab being dead in the bed. Grim.
2:22 - Sandbox anecdote
2:39 - "Even though we were 300 miles and a couple years apart" - cute how dan remembers the exact distance so well
2:58 - "Fill the bath with fruit loops." another Phil fantasy?
3:20 - Phil think Dil's outfit indicates he's ready to party for the weekend.
3:42 - "Party Miami Dad with Abs." Phil points out the shorts being like Dan's ripped jeans. Dan says he'll wear them when he has abs.
4:08 - Phil says he hates the outfit. They both get excited over Dil's abs.
4:41 - Clappy Phil wanting to do the transformation of the day.
5:13 - Draw Phil Naked music.
5:41 - Singalong to System of a Down.
6:09 - Phil leans in, Dan glances over covertly like he thinks Phil is going to whisper/say something to him. (ty to the anon on tumblr who tipped me off about that moment)
7:38 - Phil thinks Dil needs a youtube channel.
9:16 - "a ray of sunshine running through everyone's lives" - I feel like he wanted to make a Phil joke there but didn't.
10:20 - "genes with a g" joke
10:32 - They're so excited about bunny slippers.
11:37 - "I'm gonna punch. And I'm gonna punch you, Phil."
11:50 - Dil flamboyant as he "implishly pesters."
12:46 - Phil 'space themed bedding' anecdote.
13:31 - Dan saying "Are we gonna have to move?" about not being able to expand Dab's room.
14:14 - Phil wants Dab to be the most creative child possible.
14:47 - Phil: "I mean, if he's a child does he need to be connected to the internet?" Dan: "You're gonna not give someone at school access to youtube? How can they make it through life without minecraft youtubers?" Another valuable insight into their future parenting dynamic.
15:42 - Who's gonna be sacrificed to Satan? Followed by some more DAPC references.
16:05 - They applaud Dab's first drawing and Dan says how proud they are of him.
16:31 - "Bob is having a steamy dump." Dan, that is not the commentary I'm here for.
16:42 - Orange shape on the screen; Dan thinks of trapeziums, Phil thinks of cheese.
16:45 - Dan: "Think about what you fear, I suppose."
16:58 - Phil: "Get Deliveroo cake. Can you do that? I don't know." Dan: "You can. And we're going to."
17:15 - Dan: "What a MILF. Am I allowed to say that?" Phil: "No."
18:21 - Dab is the happy arty kid, Evan is less social but still his friend. Dan providing the AU format.
18:33 - Dan says tumblr will go nuts because they have matching track pants.
18:47 - Dan thinks Eliza is mum goals - wearing sunglasses inside eating a microwave dinner. Also insight into what kind of parent Dan will be?
20:12 - Dan indicates that Dab and Evan are the next chapter of the Howlter family life.
autumnhearth
senpai

The Sims was fine. Some cute dads moments (thanks for sharing your time stamps alittledizzy) I think they really need a rug in the gaming room, the sound was quite canny. Looking forward to watching those Playlist clips tomorrow. Thanks!
Kathrynxjane
janice from the shop
Pronouns: She/Her

The Sims video : I really like the Sims series so they video was good to me. Starting watching the video and I can't remember watching the episode before! Had no idea why all the my sims trophies were outside and how they had so many?
It was definitely a filler episode. Excited to see how they interact with Dab and excited to see the new bowling expansion pack.
Not much to say about it tbh.

New picture Dan with curly hair. YES. Dan with curly hair and earrings. OH MY LIFE. floored by the photo when I woke up this morning. Phil is looking great in it too.

Also I can't believe it has been a year since the start of the US tour. Where has the time gone?!
"You can't just pull it out and put it in without a plan." Dan Howell 2015
jesuisunèléve
phabergé

LeftHandedism wrote:
Catallena wrote:
awsugar wrote:

Wow, the earrings. Guess he found them in the move.

And Dan let the "other" side of his face be photographed. I like them posed like that.
That shirt makes Daniel look like a Cholo Wanna-Be gang banger. Does he have to wear it buttoned all the way up???

I am a bit concerned because Florida. The shirt wasn't that big a deal in OZ but I still thought he looked like a wanna-be gang banger.

I wanna ask Phil what did that mic ever do to him because he's trying to strangle it.

Yay for the left side of Daniel's face!
gnostic
stress mushroom

SquishPhan wrote:
awsugar wrote:
Wow does look like it. Didn't think we were going to see those again.
This pleases me
Just here for the marketing skills
fondsmiles
phabergé

alittledizzy wrote:Sims #39 timestamps:

11:50 - Dil flamboyant as he "implishly pesters."
I am on mobile so sorry for no links, but I swear after this there was a moment where dan said “I found that offensive, personally“ and Phil swiftly brushed over it, which I attributed to flamboyant Dil. could be that I'm just imagining it though, I only watched it once!
[x]
[x]
DatCog
blobfish

The earrings are back! Gracious me that was a nice surprise to wake up to this morning How long has it been since he last wore them...well over a year? I'm not usually a fan but they really suit him
SquishPhan
capita£ester

Nice seeing Dan and Phil present something again.

Phil teasing Dan about his rebrand and being sassy in general was great.
nephilimcat
woodland creature

fondsmiles wrote:awww I loved the video :) I am honestly so excited about the sims series, the videos are always so fun and calm and make me just really happy. I am so excited about dab and evan's friendship and how they plan on doing so much with that!
I do actually hope for them romancing each other once they're teens, because that makes for some exciting content, but let's let them be kids first for a while
My thoughts exactly! I just wanna see Dab and Evan as best friends that eventually fall in love when they're older. That would be so cute

Generally an average Sims video, which means I loved it. I don't think I ever didn't enjoy one of their Sims videos, they're just nice entertainment on the side.
awsugar wrote:

I've always been a fan of Dan with earrings, therefore I think it's great to see him wearing them again. I'd love it if he wore them more often. Phil is so cute in that photo, the way he clenches the mic is just adorable

Re: What would confirm them being together (or not) for me:
Honestly, I think at this point I'd believe them if they made an actual statement, which I don't think will happen. And I don't mean calling each other friends (they definitely are best friends after all), I mean if they outright denied/confirmed being in a relationship in a situation where they weren't pressured to give an answer and seem comfortable talking about it. I would never believe whatever they say during a meet & greet for example.

I am 99% convinced they are together and the 1% are only there because they haven't outright confirmed it and I generally think that every relationship needs to be confirmed before I'll ever accept it as the truth. I don't like to believe in things, I need facts. But I would be more shocked if they said they weren't together than I'd be if they said they were.

They don't have to start making out on camera to confirm a relationship, but I don't think them living together is a relationship confirmation. It confirms that they love each other and like each other's company, which I don't think anyone doubted before.
If they got a dog and bought a house together, it would confirm that they don't intend to have separate families because nobody gets a dog together who intends to separate. Which would be a relationship confirmation, even though I wouldn't put it past them that they have a very unconventional relationship that is neither romantic nor platonic. But in that situation, they'd still be life partners without a doubt.
pulvis et umbra sumus
fondsmiles
phabergé

nephilimcat wrote:
Re: What would confirm them being together (or not) for me:
Honestly, I think at this point I'd believe them if they made an actual statement, which I don't think will happen. And I don't mean calling each other friends (they definitely are best friends after all), I mean if they outright denied/confirmed being in a relationship in a situation where they weren't pressured to give an answer and seem comfortable talking about it. I would never believe whatever they say during a meet & greet for example.

I am 99% convinced they are together and the 1% are only there because they haven't outright confirmed it and I generally think that every relationship needs to be confirmed before I'll ever accept it as the truth. I don't like to believe in things, I need facts. But I would be more shocked if they said they weren't together than I'd be if they said they were.

They don't have to start making out on camera to confirm a relationship, but I don't think them living together is a relationship confirmation. It confirms that they love each other and like each other's company, which I don't think anyone doubted before.
If they got a dog and bought a house together, it would confirm that they don't intend to have separate families because nobody gets a dog together who intends to separate. Which would be a relationship confirmation, even though I wouldn't put it past them that they have a very unconventional relationship that is neither romantic nor platonic. But in that situation, they'd still be life partners without a doubt.
I agree so much on this! being in a relationship is a label you put on for yourself. it's quite similar to how I perceive dan's sexuality, actually. he's stating quite clearly that he's attracted to guys, and has stated equally clearly that he's attracted to girls. I won't label him because I don't know which one he chooses. some labels seem more likely than others, like, I more think of him as bi or pan than straight, but in the end, you'd only know it once he says so.
them living together means they enjoy each other's company, them planning on a house and a dog together seems to mean they don't plan on leaving each other's sides anytime soon. the way they interact with each other speaks of great care and love (whatever kind of love it is). those things become increasingly clear with time, but saying that something's proof for a romantic relationship is not possible in my opinion, because that is just a label people can use to sum up their actions, and we won't know that it is their preferred label for each other if they don't tell us so.
but i will enjoy their openly displayed affection with great happiness regardless of what label it has
[x]
[x]