Daniel & Phil Part 44: This isn't a forever home

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
SquishPhan
capita£ester
Pronouns: she/her

I'm confused.
sans
delia smith
Pronouns: him/they

im mostly scared.
cherrybomb3
cheeky #spon
Pronouns: he/him

shoe wrote:
onetruetrash wrote:Regarding the "Dan is a perfectionist", I really want Dan to see that people just want to see him. I seriously want him to read these discussions.
Sometimes I think that it would be helpful for Dan and Phil to read the discussion that happens here immediately after they upload a video, to get some form of feedback that isn't inarticulate screeching, which is all I've ever seen in dapg comments.

That said, I wouldn't want them reading idb all the time, and I definitely don't think it would be helpful for Dan to read this particular discussion. A load of total strangers discussing his issues with perfectionism, and in all probability at lest partially misinterpreting them? But also in some cases touching on things which are actual deep insecurities, and then jumping to some conclusion which is incorrect, but close enough to the truth to make him question himself? No. Not helpful in the slightest. An external perspective on your mental state can be helpful, but it needs to be sensitively given and properly informed. Therapists are great for that. Forums filled with untrained strangers are not.

(Dan, if you are lurking, I'm sorry. go away. you don't need to read this. you really don't. we're not even a representative sample of your audience. If you want to see what we say about your videos, I'm flattered, but please only stay for that. If you can't leave afterwards, and are lurking enough that you catch discussions like these, that probably isn't healthy. but I acknowledge that I don't know you, and I don't know what's best for you.)

tbf it could help to see that the audience isnt as homogenous as you might initially think. sort of humbling or whatevs, which is also true of (hopefully constructive ) criticism. that being said i still think that being mindful of your opinions potential inaccuracy is nice :)
AmazingOCD
glabella

SquishPhan wrote: I'm confused.
Maybe something about the phandom itself? Or Dan's cringe attacks over his old branding?

I'm gonna go with his branding...

'looks at youtube'

OH FUCK
Last edited by AmazingOCD on Mon May 01, 2017 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's a good thing to be strange. Normalness leads to sadness - Phil Lester
cherrybomb3
cheeky #spon
Pronouns: he/him

also hype warning again lolz
iero
phabergé

im anxious for the new video
what does this mean
dontpanic
#relatable

MaggieW wrote:I kind of understand Dans attitude towards his own videos. I don't upload videos to youtube but I like creative writing and I also tend to be harsh on myself. Like, over analyzing everything I do, and always feeling that my stories are not what I expected them to be... that lead me to procastination because I end up with so much anxiety over something that I should be enjoying. I don't know if Dan feels the same way but if he does I can totally understand his behaviour.

It's not something easy to let go, I wish it was as easy as saying "I'm just going to relax and do the best I can do" because you end up trapped in your own thoughts and judgement :(

Also, I'm starting to see a change in Dan. Like, he seems more confident with himself (dressing the way he wants, even do things that are not conventional to boys like wearing nail polish) so I really wish that he can overcome whatever is in his mind and be more comfortable with himself when it comes to his videos. I think we can all agree that he is a talented young man and we enjoy his content, and I don't think the phandom will judge him if he does more relaxed content that doesn't necessary is up to his ~standards~. Idk, if he is happy with his content I will be happy for him, so if being this judgmental is bad for him I wish he can overcome that in the future.
I definitely feel you here and agree

I see where everyone is coming from with the whole discussion and I agree, I wish he would put out more content too, but this conversation seems to come up quite often and it makes me feel squeamish, because he hasn't hidden the fact that he has anxiety over putting out content for his main channel, and I know people don't mean to come off this way but a person won't get over their anxiety just because we want them too or because we tell them we would watch their stuff even I if it's stupid like reading a phone book or making videos like the gleam vloggers.

most of dans content is very well thought out and executed, I'm pretty sure his quiz video is objectively one of the best quiz vids out there. His videos might not be your cup of tea, but they are something for him to be proud of, even if the quality doesn't seem high to u (no call out here, also sorry I'm typing on my phone so it's probably hard to understand me its so hard to type)
Last edited by dontpanic on Mon May 01, 2017 8:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Moonbeamsonthepath
living flop
Pronouns: she

Oooh, maybe he made his own quiz about the Phandom?

No idea though, I wish he'd hurry up and upload it...
sugar
eclipse shirt
Pronouns: they/them

more convinced it's a rebrand now since a lot of the quizzes were based on his old branding...the tweet makes me think he's saying that video convinced him he needed to distance himself from all of that? anyone else feel that way?
lurker
janice from the shop

the channel name is "daniel howell" now... prepare yourselves
thank's you were great
sans
delia smith
Pronouns: him/they

Welp. He changed his name on YT and Twitter.
Last edited by sans on Mon May 01, 2017 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lishachi
eclipse shirt

Daniel Howell. Nice.

...Video talking about it incoming?
Last edited by lishachi on Mon May 01, 2017 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:biflag: :blackheart:
allsaintshowell
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

HE'S REBRANDED TO DANIEL HOWELL
Image Image
SquishPhan
capita£ester

I approve of these changes.
saffarinda
truth bomb

Moonbeamsonthepath wrote:
Oooh, maybe he made his own quiz about the Phandom?

No idea though, I wish he'd hurry up and upload it...
lmao that was my first thought as well! or maybe him making his own cringey dan and phil quiz himself, using all of the old branding. i cringed so hard i literally cried at the last dinof vid but i did find it v funny tbh - i wouldn't be disappointed if it was something along the lines of that
25/04/2017 - #blessed
fondsmiles
phabergé

shoe wrote:
onetruetrash wrote:Regarding the "Dan is a perfectionist", I really want Dan to see that people just want to see him. I seriously want him to read these discussions.
Sometimes I think that it would be helpful for Dan and Phil to read the discussion that happens here immediately after they upload a video, to get some form of feedback that isn't inarticulate screeching, which is all I've ever seen in dapg comments.

That said, I wouldn't want them reading idb all the time, and I definitely don't think it would be helpful for Dan to read this particular discussion. A load of total strangers discussing his issues with perfectionism, and in all probability at lest partially misinterpreting them? But also in some cases touching on things which are actual deep insecurities, and then jumping to some conclusion which is incorrect, but close enough to the truth to make him question himself? No. Not helpful in the slightest. An external perspective on your mental state can be helpful, but it needs to be sensitively given and properly informed. Therapists are great for that. Forums filled with untrained strangers are not.

(Dan, if you are lurking, I'm sorry. go away. you don't need to read this. you really don't. we're not even a representative sample of your audience. If you want to see what we say about your videos, I'm flattered, but please only stay for that. If you can't leave afterwards, and are lurking enough that you catch discussions like these, that probably isn't healthy. but I acknowledge that I don't know you, and I don't know what's best for you.)
this is something I've thought about since I've started lurking/posting here (which isn't long at all) but didn't feel like I'd seen enough on the forum to really judge and also not be able to put it into words this articulate. thanks for this, and actually, thanks for the lowkey adression of dan because IF he does see this, this would be exactly what i'd want him to see. so, thanks
(Also. Even the opinion of a trained therapist wouldn't be helpful here at all, because that therapist on this forum still wouldn't know Dan and Dan's thoughts, that he can only share himself. I really want to be mindful of that whenever I talk about them or anyone else; that all I can do is interpret and guess, and I might be miles away from the truth which I will never know unless they tell me.)
[x]
[x]
iero
phabergé

yes omg i love that's he's rebranding to daniel rather than dan

does this mean it's now 'daniel and phil' tho
Last edited by iero on Mon May 01, 2017 8:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
000dia000
emo goose

I'm getting sick of you people predicting everything, nothing is a shock anymore. First DAPGO, SPRING 2017 and now re-branding? Burn the witch

The biggest shocker is changing it to Daniel Howell and not Dan Howell.
:cactus:
auri

Not only Dan Howell but Daniel Howell, aaah??? I am so happy!
blackdenim
procrastinator

I forgot his last vid was the quizzes one and had a moment of thinking he was going to rebrand to be an 'Internet Support Group' channel, can you imagine! :wtf:
nephilimcat
woodland creature

Since when are they so predictable? First everyone was right about them moving and now everyone was right about him changing his name on YouTube. Do I stay awake and wait for the video to be uploaded or do I watch it tomorrow. If only I knew how long it'll take. It's not late, so I don't need to sleep but I am tired.
pulvis et umbra sumus
allsaintshowell

he just changed his tumblr url to "danielhowell" is this real life is god actually this good
Image Image
malday
emo goose

so it's going to be Daniel and Phil nowl?
thephandommenace
procrastinator

HE'S DONE IT
HE'S REBRANDED TO DANIEL HOWELL
/fɪl lɛstɚ/
sad dimple

Daniel Howell.
Oh boy.
I am always on Phil Lester's side