Daniel & Phil Part 44: This isn't a forever home

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
000dia000
emo goose

palomeheart wrote: There's also his recent semi-public/semi-private relationship/breakup/whatever with Dodie, so maybe he's interested in how not to have people obsess over it?
Sorry, but is there any proof of them being together or is it just wishful thinking?
awkwardly wrote:
didn't manage to reply before the previous section was closed
papierklemmen wrote:
i do believe that the true level of how "obsessed" some fans are would show if they moved separately - now that's where you'd see a portion of people crying how it affected their life and they're suffering and dying (see: the sherlock fandom & various wtf moments like signed petitions for bbc to change the ending to canon johnlock, 5 stages of grief, suicide threats, cyberbulling of creators etc.). but yeah, it's not that kind of a situation.
I have to say, I find your post extremely condescending. You probably can not imagine people who have nothing and no one and live daily in pain (physical or psychological) how important fantasy is for them. At any age. I personally have been affected by a fandom - not in flat sense of way but in lgbtq+ representation and couple that with what is happening live to lgbtq+ people in the country I live in, the way the show creators were talking, same as you, condescending about it - because how could it possibly affect people, lol it's not real - it was very extremely hurtful and it affected me, deeply. So yes, I do not think moving of d&p is in any way the same as lgbtq+ portrayal, but you can not know how anything will affect anyone. And making fun of potentially triggering suicide feelings in anyone is really honestly just awful. I do not know what happened in Sherlock fandom as I was not part of it, because honestly after my experience with other showrunners why would I ever get myself into watching something written by such sexist asshole as Moffat. But I really find it condescending how little you consider the feelings of other and how funny it seems to you when people who have probably nothing are robbed even of the last at least fictional hope.
I don't find papierklemmen's post insensitive. While people have a right to have strong feelings about subjects (like Sherlock) it's very separate from the matter. They were only making an example of how some fans can take things to an extreme. This is something deppy are probably quite conscious of. They do have a lot of people say "you've saved my life" etc. I see a lot of posts like that, and there are a lot of people who are quite dependent on them. If you don't want to think of Sherlock, there are plenty of other examples: when famous celebrity couples split up or a famous actor gets a haircut. Papierklemmen's not being condescending or insensitive to those who have been hurt, they're just making an observation that people do react in this manner, and deppy are mindful of that.

Getting a dog: while the phandom are leaving the references everywhere, and being pushy, it was deppy who initially insinuating it, and continually to reference it. If they were not comfortable with the idea, then they wouldn't address the idea and just ghost it. If you were to take Dan's comment about "hinting" about getting a house as fact, then they are certainly hinting at the prospect of getting a dog. While the phandom do have trends and do spam hashtags for them to see, they are still grown men who can make their own decisions and aren't being bullied. There is of course a certain amount of pressuring that phandom members themselves find uncomfortable, and some that do cross the line, I don't think trending a hashtag #DanandPhilGetaDog makes them lose sleep at night. It's in their power what they control.
:cactus:
llion
living flop
Pronouns: she/her

i wrote a little thing in reply, but i appreciate the civil decision to end the topic. we're all here because we love dan and phil (to some extent or another) and that's what matters
but i'm in love with the foot pouf tbh, it looks super comfy and soft.
art credit: koreinkorein (thank you!)
palomeheart
dank meme

000dia000 wrote:
palomeheart wrote: There's also his recent semi-public/semi-private relationship/breakup/whatever with Dodie, so maybe he's interested in how not to have people obsess over it?
Sorry, but is there any proof of them being together or is it just wishful thinking?
No sorry, I guess I just kinda assumed it was accepted knowledge with those that follow them more closely, but my assumptions were based solely off of watching some of Dodie's videos and then their complimentary love/breakup song thing. I thought she had acknowledged there being something between them at the very least, but them not wanting the same thing? But it's entirely possible I'm making that up or she just said it vaguely and I assumed she was referring to Jon with no real basis. I really don't follow either of them all that closely.

In summary, strike that statement, I assume a lot of things.
it's a useful thing
000dia000
emo goose

palomeheart wrote:
000dia000 wrote:
No sorry, I guess I just kinda assumed it was accepted knowledge with those that follow them more closely, but my assumptions were based solely off of watching some of Dodie's videos and then their complimentary love/breakup song thing. I thought she had acknowledged there being something between them at the very least, but them not wanting the same thing? But it's entirely possible I'm making that up or she just said it vaguely and I assumed she was referring to Jon with no real basis. I really don't follow either of them all that closely.

In summary, strike that statement, I assume a lot of things.
It's no problem. Dodie tends to say really vague things that could be about past relationships, or even a new one, and with her and Jon shipped together so much, even I was a bit like (?) sometimes
:cactus:
Ilovethemohyesido
living flop

The event in Florida is like a meeting or panels?
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Ilovethemohyesido wrote:The event in Florida is like a meeting or panels?
As far as I know, it's both. :) They have a meetup (at least one, maybe more?) plus they're doing the opening event, and they'll be on at least one panel.
Ilovethemohyesido
living flop

I was rewatching the moving video and I remembered the whole «calendar in may» and Dan saying in one of his earlier liveshows to ask him about something in a «couple of months»·, was this it? The moving? Dan at that moment was lookimg at apartments with Phil and Phil maybe thought they will be moved out by May?
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

Yeah, at Playlist Live they're doing one meetup, one panel and presenting the opening night show.

The move might be what Dan meant with that "ask me about that week in March", though it might be too specific for just that week.

That photo Phil posted, I was there admiring his purple sock, but the grey furnishings and wooden floor are interesting glimpses. This trend for fluffy things like the foot floof and blankets is cute.
isabella
butt chair

in regards to jon's tweet, i think this response sums up my feelings quite adequately
pearshaped34
morning quiff

papierklemmen wrote:well, i personally don't understand why this particular event would have been traumatic either, but dan might have his own idea of what he thinks his fans are invested in (as in, someone is attached to the apartment - and lbr someone probably is) or he's just afraid because he sees how the phandom clings to some stuff (maybe he's seen his lot of "i miss your manchester apartment" comments? idk). since this move was actually more of a step forward in the eyes of the phandom (aka they moved together and it's all good), i'm sure the majority would have been happy regardless. i do believe that the true level of how "obsessed" some fans are would show if they moved separately - now that's where you'd see a portion of people crying how it affected their life and they're suffering and dying (see: the sherlock fandom & various wtf moments like signed petitions for bbc to change the ending to canon johnlock, 5 stages of grief, suicide threats, cyberbulling of creators etc.). but yeah, it's not that kind of a situation.
Again though you are talking about only an extreme minority and not the typical fan.
I have to to preface this that concerning your example (Sherlock) I have no experience in this fandom as despite attempting the show numerous times (as so many many friends recommended it) I've never been able to get into it.
So I have no personal experience with the fandom but I do have two friends who I know have Sherlock tumblrs who I can say in real life outside of what shows should I watch next conversations never feels the need to bring the show up in social situations. They are not threatening suicide or passing Johnlock petitions around the local pub.
They may very well have signed an online petition but as this would just be in their online fandom lives and have no affect on their real lives I wouldn't know.

And I'm not disagreeing however that the online reaction to D&P moving apart would be dramatic however that is going off-topic as my original statement was only about how obsessed Dan thinks we need to be to think them moving (together) will affect the fans more than them.
felucca wrote:The TV analogy is a good one. For me this move could be likened to my favourite tv show changing seasons and shaking things up a bit. I get invested in it and have opinions and it's fun to discuss and compare theories and laugh about - buuuut when everything's said and done it's on a pretty superficial level after all. Hardly something that follows me into my IRL life.
This is where I am too. I discuss them like I discuss my favourite TV shows which I accept to D&P themselves may be very disturbing and overly invested but that doesn't mean they have an emotional affect on my well-being or life. (And the same goes for any TV shows I'm watching and discussing.)
Lurktacularr
procrastinator

LADS. I couldn't resist. Its been forever but I've been catching up with kuensukki and had to pop over and say...

Well butter my arse. They finally did it. Halle-fucking-lujah.

I was sick of hearing them complain about the sodding drilling so I dread to think how they must have felt.

Loved how open they were about giving no shits, no false nostalgic pretences just 'lets get the fuck outta here bYE'

Will be eagerly awaiting snippets of the new place in my dark corner.

Now I've got that out of my system I'm off to hibernate for another 6 months (I'll be watching)
I wonder how biology can explain the physical pain you feel in your chest when all you want to do is talk shit on IDB
starsandshards
living flop

isabella wrote:in regards to jon's tweet, i think this response sums up my feelings quite adequately
this has me loling big time
pastelspectre
stress mushroom
Pronouns: he/him

isabella wrote:in regards to jon's tweet, i think this response sums up my feelings quite adequately
im dying omg. i dont understand why people cant just leave the phandom alone ://
:transheart:
cherrybomb3
cheeky #spon

Skylar wrote:
im dying omg. i dont understand why people cant just leave the phandom alone ://

gotta get those clicks somehow
Artdefines06
ar·tic·u·late
Pronouns: She/They/Nothing

*crack knuckles*

Why can't people leave the phandom alone you say?

I know it is easy to forget while we are here comfy and safe and sane in our forum, but the phandom is a wild place. It is fractal and varied, and depending on which angle you look at it from changes what it looks like. From a face on view of the crows at vidcon it is often just a screaming mass of emotions. From a box of messages people have paid to send you from your liveshow it looks like prying and judgement. From one on one meet and greets it looks like idolization or possibly maybe, real people who just get joy from your videos.

The Phandom gets more attention because they are bigger, louder, and more tied together than any other group of youtube fans. Someone like Tyler Oakley ( who is a doll and I love, but still works the system as much as he can) might actually have more fans, but they do not have the same need to label themselves and let everyone around them know constantly and fight tooth and nail for recognition.

So my question is why won't the phandom leave everyone else alone? Why do they, as a mass of people, feel the need to flood comment sections and trend on twitter and dominate tumblr and crowd into panels they have little interest in?

I think the answer is because Dan and Phil are so private and humble that they do not do much of promoting themselves anymore, so the phandom feels the need to do it for them. They want to let everyone know how amazing and sweet and interesting these two people are, especially since so much is said against them and they do so little to defend themselves.

What I don't understand is what would a timeline of the phandom look like? a track of the growth of numbers? What sections of the internet they are active in?

One of my favorite panels ever done is the becoming youtube panel from 2013. In this panel they talk about every issue that we discuss here, and this was four years ago. It encompasses privacy, branding and "fangirls" all in just the first fifteen minutes. There have been no solutions to any of these problems still lol. I highly recommend it as a watch.

karma_yeah
philussy

Artdefines06 wrote:*crack knuckles*

I know it is easy to forget while we are here comfy and safe and sane in our forum, but the phandom is a wild place. It is fractal and varied, and depending on which angle you look at it from changes what it looks like. From a face on view of the crows at vidcon it is often just a screaming mass of emotions. From a box of messages people have paid to send you from your liveshow it looks like prying and judgement. From one on one meet and greets it looks like idolization or possibly maybe, real people who just get joy from your videos.

The Phandom gets more attention because they are bigger, louder, and more tied together than any other group of youtube fans. Someone like Tyler Oakley ( who is a doll and I love, but still works the system as much as he can) might actually have more fans, but they do not have the same need to label themselves and let everyone around them know constantly and fight tooth and nail for recognition.

So my question is why won't the phandom leave everyone else alone? Why do they, as a mass of people, feel the need to flood comment sections and trend on twitter and dominate tumblr and crowd into panels they have little interest in?

I think the answer is because Dan and Phil are so private and humble that they do not do much of promoting themselves anymore, so the phandom feels the need to do it for them.
They want to let everyone know how amazing and sweet and interesting these two people are, especially since so much is said against them and they do so little to defend themselves.
I think you make some excellent points, bolded ones especially! I've seen Jon Cozart and think he's incredibly talented, and have also had a lot of respect for him as a person. I don't see him as someone who would demean or humiliate or use them as clickbait -- he said "legit question" -- but I could be wrong. I hope not.

If he's just making some light-hearted fun about the phandom itself, I hope I have enough of a sense of humor, that I'll just laugh at it.
What goes around, comes around Image
Artdefines06
ar·tic·u·late

I know it is easy to forget while we are here comfy and safe and sane in our forum, but the phandom is a wild place. It is fractal and varied, and depending on which angle you look at it from changes what it looks like. From a face on view of the crowds at vidcon it is often just a screaming mass of emotions. From a box of messages people have paid to send you from your liveshow it looks like prying and judgement. From one on one meet and greets it looks like idolization or possibly, maybe, real people who just get joy from your videos.

I think the answer is because Dan and Phil are so private and humble that they do not do much of promoting themselves anymore, so the phandom feels the need to do it for them. They want to let everyone know how amazing and sweet and interesting these two people are, especially since so much is said against them and they do so little to defend themselves.

What I don't understand is what would a timeline of the phandom look like? a track of the growth of numbers? What sections of the internet they are active in?

One of my favorite panels ever done is the becoming youtube panel from 2013. In this panel they talk about every issue that we discuss here, and this was four years ago. It encompasses privacy, branding and "fangirls" all in just the first fifteen minutes. There have been no solutions to any of these problems still lol. I highly recommend it as a watch.

isabella
butt chair

karma_yeah wrote:

I think the answer is because Dan and Phil are so private and humble that they do not do much of promoting themselves anymore, so the phandom feels the need to do it for them.
They want to let everyone know how amazing and sweet and interesting these two people are, especially since so much is said against them and they do so little to defend themselves.
I think you make some excellent points, bolded ones especially! I've seen Jon Cozart and think he's incredibly talented, and have also had a lot of respect for him as a person. I don't see him as someone who would demean or humiliate or use them as clickbait -- he said "legit question" -- but I could be wrong. I hope not.

If he's just making some light-hearted fun about the phandom itself, I hope I have enough of a sense of humor, that I'll just laugh at it.
yeah i'll agree that he doesn't seem like the type to have any personal reason to pick a fight with deppy or the phandom as a whole. i also didn't read that tweet as him doing research for a video or song purpose. it just seemed like him expressing genuine interest and commenting on the fact that the phandom is insane and everywhere on the internet haha but after watching his youtube culture song, i'll say i really hope his research wasn't for any targeted purpose because that humour will not land well with the phandom lol. tbh a few people in the replies made some really good points about why the phandom hates other youtubers prying into things so hopefully he took note and keeps things light-hearted! i just found that bo burnham response hilarious and appropriate haha
uglyamerican
woodland creature

Ilovethemohyesido wrote:The event in Florida is like a meeting or panels?
Panels for aspiring youtubers and business types; meet and greets for established youtubers; a mainstage; a performance stage; activity booths, merch stands...

It takes place in a large convention hotel, (one of the nicer pools in Orlando btw;) the place is overrun with excited, but generally well behaved young to middle aged teens.
Ashling Rae
*editing tips*

000dia000 wrote:Getting a dog: while the phandom are leaving the references everywhere, and being pushy, it was deppy who initially insinuating it, and continually to reference it. If they were not comfortable with the idea, then they wouldn't address the idea and just ghost it. If you were to take Dan's comment about "hinting" about getting a house as fact, then they are certainly hinting at the prospect of getting a dog. While the phandom do have trends and do spam hashtags for them to see, they are still grown men who can make their own decisions and aren't being bullied. There is of course a certain amount of pressuring that phandom members themselves find uncomfortable, and some that do cross the line, I don't think trending a hashtag #DanandPhilGetaDog makes them lose sleep at night. It's in their power what they control.
In case this is in reference to my comment in the old thread I'll just clarify my point. Lol. I definitely don't think it makes them lose sleep at night. Not trying to say the phandom telling them to get a dog is harassing or anything. Just as a general thing, I find it amusing that so many of us apparently want them to get a dog so badly that they will spam the shyt out of YouNow (not that any one particular person spams, but as a collective..) and make hashtags on Twitter, when to me, it seems so clear that them getting a dog would require them to interact with us less.

Like, don't get me wrong, them getting a dog would be the epitome of domestic softness and I would love it if that's what they chose to do. But they've told us time and time again they're not ready for a dog and while they won't say it- we're the reason they aren't ready! And I'm not exactly sad about them choosing their current lifestyle where they can travel anywhere they want to perform for us and give us great content and a chance to meet them personally, over a dog. Like the phandom is collectively deciding we are less important than a dog.
Artdefines06
ar·tic·u·late

Ashling Rae wrote:
Like, don't get me wrong, them getting a dog would be the epitome of domestic softness and I would love it if that's what they chose to do. But they've told us time and time again they're not ready for a dog and while they won't say it- we're the reason they aren't ready! And I'm not exactly sad about them choosing their current lifestyle where they can travel anywhere they want to perform for us and give us great content and a chance to meet them personally, over a dog. Like the phandom is collectively deciding we are less important than a dog.
Well I, for one, am definitely less important than a dog :)

To be fair though, they do know enough people in London who would probably dog sit for them for a handful of days if they had to do the occasional week long vacation thing. Maybe not a three month tour, but it's not like they live totally wild lives normally.
uglyamerican
woodland creature

Man, it took me hours to catch up....

I hope hope hope that the livestream lagfest was a (typical) YouNow issue, and not reflective of the internet service quality in their new duplex ("duplex" in the US is generally understood as a two dwelling structure that shares a common wall - I'm thinking in Dan's usage, he means 2 living levels.) That was another reason why they left their old place. Honestly, I don't understand how they put up with the noise for so long - must have been really convenient.

+1 on Phil standing firm and not buying shitty / trendy ripped knee jeans (The Gleam Team posse all wear them - I was getting blinded by their kneecaps. JS was having a huge ripped jeans fail btw, must have gotten 3 wears before having to toss them.)

+1 Dan's blow dried hair.

I want to see their kitchen. Those two need to restart cooking their own meals, and stop eating so much goddam delivery pizza (Dan.) Overall, seems like a much more contemporary apartment; the sweet A/C will be worth the move in itself.
pastelspectre
stress mushroom

i understand. to be honest, i'm sort of the same way. i..talk about deppy whenever i can, and i also go on multiple other forums where i have deppy set as my avatar and signature, and i talk about them a bunch on twitter, facebook, and tumblr. i'm not really..ashamed that i like them i guess. bc i know i'm not one of those crazy phandom members spamming them to get a dog or asking if theyre together or not. sure it'd be nice if they got a dog, but i understand they dont have the time or possibly even patience to watch over a dog, since a dog is more high maintenance than, say, a cat. i'm not saying every phandom member is like that of course, but, it seems like a majority of them are since..those are who stand out more on youtube, or tumblr or other social media, because they're more..vocal and sometimes even aggressive and..yeah.

idk. i ramble a lot..sorry. i understand why other youtubers feel the need to mention us a lot. its like what i told my sister a while ago, a few weeks ago. that deppy may not have the most subscribed channels ever, not nearly close to pewdiepie or others, but..they do have the most dedicated fanbase i've ever seen for a youtube fandom. and i guess because of that, we get more attention than most.
:transheart:
VengefulBlue
rainbow nerd
Pronouns: they/them

uglyamerican wrote:Those two need to restart cooking their own meals, and stop eating so much goddam delivery pizza (Dan.)
this! when did they stop cooking? i remember in some old liveshows (that i listen to while i sleep shhh) phil said he was good at cooking, he likes to make curries, etc. why/when did they stop making dinner and start ordering in more? i feel like they haven't mentioned making their own dinner in a while.
Ashling Rae
*editing tips*

Artdefines06 wrote: Well I, for one, am definitely less important than a dog :)

To be fair though, they do know enough people in London who would probably dog sit for them for a handful of days if they had to do the occasional week long vacation thing. Maybe not a three month tour, but it's not like they live totally wild lives normally.
Touché. But you can't deny that there is a certain freedom you miss out on when you're a pet owner. Plus it may be possible for them to still travel around a bit, but it's also not very nice to the dog. A lot of animals get really anxious when their owners leave them with other people. I just feel like that's not something they'd want to do all the time. So when they do eventually get a dog, it'll probably be when they don't plan on doing a lot of this kind of thing.

I might be wrong though. Maybe it just feels like they currently travel more often than they really do. I haven't exactly kept track and I'm still pretty new to the phandom.