Dan & Phil Part 46: Some kind of a gay backstory

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
Diyes_Celine
truth bomb

DatCog wrote:
SquishPhan wrote: This is unexpected. Anyone know who she is?
Aww I enjoyed that and the lighting was so nice...Phil's eyes looked amazing! I'm looking forward to seeing the other video they did together.
I really enjoyed that video. First, they looked so goood. Phil's eyes . But I would kill for a better thumbnail. Phil, you are ruining your beautiful face. Ugh. Second, it was very chill and comfortable. Phil really is loyal friend. He will work with his fellow og youtubers. Last, I really love seeing Phil with women. He looked more relax with them. He looked very sweet and caring with them.

NOW, WHERE IS JENNA AND PHIL COLLAB?
malday
emo goose

SquishPhan wrote: This is unexpected. Anyone know who she is?
Nice to see he's doing more colabs. hope they'll do more colabs with other og youtubers too, maybe at vidcon.

p.s. she was on this panel:
xaephan
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

Re: Phil's collab with Shawna
It's always nice to see a Phil who's comfortable and open in a collab! Quite a few of his are...well, not forced or awkward or anything that severe, but a bit stiff? At least the ones I've seen, which actually isn't all that many but all of the ones on Phil's channel at least. It's also really interesting to see him interacting with someone who isn't as larger-than-life as Dan (by which I mean on DAPG and when they collab on their individual channels, Dan usually takes the lead and talks more, moves around more, etc.) but who he still obviously is quite close with. The personal space bubble is very apparent though, and both of them kind of made an effort to not touch each other. Lots of reasons for that, but it's interesting to note.

Other than the behaviour, I didn't really find the video all that enjoyable. I was heavily into manga/anime for a good while, but quite a few years ago at this point. So although I'm familiar with about half the stuff they talked about, I'm very out of date about a few of the series. They also gave pretty much no context to anything, so I couldn't even go "oh, that's a cutesy school-life shoujo series" for a bit of understanding.

I will say that it's very jarring to me to see two adults talking about anime and stuff so openly. This was 10+ years ago so I'm sure it's very different now, but when I was into it, anime was seen as this childish and extremely geeky thing that was looked down on by a lot of people. If you were a teen and liked it, you got made fun of for it--at least where I lived. Interesting to see how it's all changed!

Re: the REEEE thing
I frequent Reddit and I used to go on 9gag every so often years ago, so I knew about the "autistic screeching" and "normies" bullshit 'edgelords' label everything with, but I never really saw a specific sound effect for it. I've only ever seen it as "[insert autistic screeching]" or something similar, so I didn't make the connection until I saw about it here.

I think that Dan didn't mean anything bad by it and that he probably didn't know about the implication. However, it doesn't excuse the fact that there IS a connection between this sound and making fun of mental illnesses, and people who are upset by it are perfectly within their rights. I just hope that Dan knows about it now and will avoid it in the future.
Last edited by xaephan on Sat May 27, 2017 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
if my heart was a compass you'd be north
previously myllakka
fancybum
senpai

Ooh I can't watch yet but a collab that might not be cringe? Excite. This might jog memories or just some recognition if you don't know who that girl is:

Or not, who knows. She's Canadian (woot) but I stopped paying as much attention to her once I realized she was a bit religious lmao. Her and Tessa Violet, no thanks, but they like seem nice enough people if you're into that.

And sims was cute and boring as usual, it was a pleasant ~20 mins, but looking forward to some new post-Florida content.
Thanks and have a great day! Oil me
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

Uhf, this collab was a lovely surprise. He is more himself without acting, it's great to see, and they have good chemistry. His voice sounded good, whoever said it was deeper in this might be right, also his arms looked freckly They have similar colouring too, it's funny to see how they look a little alike. I don't know why I can't find their previous collab, though. I'm not sure whose channel it was on, but it involved sweets, I think, including drinking out of a tiny plastic toilet.
autumnhearth
senpai
Pronouns: she/her

thestigdrivesamini wrote:I LOVED Phil in the anime video. He seemed so comfortable and natural. Not forced or persona filled ( I hate that word too. Sorry). Did anyone else notice how he was a bit hesitant with the physical contact. I guess that's only reserved for SOME people
I've never heard of the girl, but I get good vibes from her. She seems cool.
A-freaking-dorable! They are both gorgeous pale ethereal beings. I absolutely agree with the comfort and less persona heaviness and I love it! It felt like catching up with an old friend. I particularly liked Phil considering which heroine he would be and the moment right after when she asked if he had heard of an anime and he said "Nooo..." in this particular way. It was just really cute. Really looking forward to the video on his channel. This was a breath of fresh air on a very heavily congested day (both physically with my allergies and emotionally with the current discussion. So waking up from a nap to see this was great.). I did enjoy the Sims video, especially the beginning and the anecdotes, but really have nothing to add.
Last edited by autumnhearth on Sat May 27, 2017 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
saffarinda
truth bomb

I've never seen Shawna before but she seems so sweet (also so pretty I'm jealous and attracted). He did seem so much more relaxed and natural, I think after creating a brand with Dan the two of them tend to stick to it in their videos - they have the perfect balance. With someone else, that Phil's closer to in comparison to other collab peeps such as Jim Chapman, he can relax a bit more.

I do wonder if his personality will be different to the video on Phil's channel though - back to the usual AmazingPhil brand?

Also their sarcasm at the end with him being a smaller, new youtuber is hilarious to me - I love jokes like that on yt idk why

Although I do always wonder if it ever makes friendships awkward when your friend is suddenly way more successful than you, seeing them get further for doing the same thing may be a bit ehyhghh - I think the same when dnp get more screams or shouts on a panel at a youtube events, do they ever feel uncomfortable afterwards or the other youtubers feel under appreciated (like at that 2015 panel when the host kept referring to Dan's looks and saying how one of the crowd could marry Dan some day I'm just??? no?? joke around n all but don't do that it's so cringe worthy)
25/04/2017 - #blessed
jaej
moon room
Pronouns: he/they/idm

shawna ~disagrees~ with gay marriage ("you can do it and i dont hate you but i still think its wrong and not right" kind of disagreeing) so i'll be surprised if she becomes a new phandom fave. source is her ask.fm if anyone wants to look it up faster than i can post a link
my name is jaejmine masters and i have something to say. dan and phil have fucked up japan :japhan:
phil lester threw the first brick at stonewall, we love a queer icon :biflag:
impalamedean
smol bean

flarequake wrote:Uhf, this collab was a lovely surprise. He is more himself without acting, it's great to see, and they have good chemistry. His voice sounded good, whoever said it was deeper in this might be right, also his arms looked freckly They have similar colouring too, it's funny to see how they look a little alike. I don't know why I can't find their previous collab, though. I'm not sure whose channel it was on, but it involved sweets, I think, including drinking out of a tiny plastic toilet.
That video wasn't with Shawna. It was with Meghan, Strawburry17.

It always interests me to see how well Phil still gets on with the old school youtube crowd. I can barely keep friends/acquaintances from my previous workplace.
malday
emo goose

edit: nevermind, impalamedean replied faster
awkwardly
living flop

SquishPhan wrote:
awkwardly wrote:
SquishPhan wrote:
IckleMissMayhem wrote:Hey Team Outrage - untwist your knickers and watch these:

and read this
Yes to all of this.

I honestly can't believe some people actually think Dan used a meme that is used to make fun of autistic people.

Especially since clearly the top definition on Urban Dictionary has nothing to do with that. And I think it is quite clear that Dan, and I'm assuming most people, use it with that definition in mind.
but no one is actually outraged here. (at least not at Dan). And at least I wasn't till I saw these posts. I'm sorry, but you are doing exactly the sort of problematic shit - rolling your eyes on people who are potentially upset because you can't grasp the concept of being upset and that is so WEIRD to you!
People were just calmly discussing the meaning and I think it's interesting that it was brought up since I didn't know about it. But you needed to put your 2 cents in that no one asked about putting down people. congrats to you.
(Now I'm going to be quietly outraged somewhere you can't see me. Pardon me for existing.
I rolled my eyes at people who actually believed that Dan would do such a thing on purpose. If you are not one of those people, then I fail to see why you would be outraged by my comment since it wasn't meant for you or really anyone here.
Also yes, no one asked for my opinion, but since this is a forum that I frequent I am going to give it anyway.
well the conversation started with "Hey Team Outrage - untwist your knickers and watch these" and since there were actual autistic people here discussing the problematic of people who make jokes about autistic meltdowns I found it highly insulting. It's making fun of people being potentially angry about Dan's potential meaning. And yes, your rolling eyes then add to it, as if he couldn't possibly do such a thing. I repeat, and as others already mentioned too, no one was actually angry at Dan, but we were discussing a potential problematic issue. So no need to roll eyes at anyone - especially people trying to clarify something. (also maybe I should have bolded the first message since I was replying to both of you to make it clearer.)

---------

re new video:
I'm really pleased to see that Phil can make a collab with someone else than Dan and be so relaxed. It was really nice to watch (though I have no idea what they were talking about :D and need to rewatch it and pause and google the actual animes). (I saw Shawna only in the Sail video and never watch her channel, omg she looks so so much like my past crush here, I am a little bit about that.)
~but the golden age is over
onetruetrash
blobfish

jaej wrote:shawna ~disagrees~ with gay marriage ("you can do it and i dont hate you but i still think its wrong and not right" kind of disagreeing) so i'll be surprised if she becomes a new phandom fave. source is her ask.fm if anyone wants to look it up faster than i can post a link
Really? Yikes
llion
living flop

i'm finaly caught up yay

re: sims. i liked the video, but i always like the mindless nature of the sims videos. i would also love the next one to be focused on someone besides dil, but i get that he's technically the "star" so they'll pay more attention to him most episodes. their casual banter was my favorite part, particularly the synchronized "OOOOO". so funny! i'll be pretty happy if dil is pregnant, but probably not disappointed if he's not. i agree it may derail the tragectory, but a little alien baby would be cute.

re: ...REEEE (lol). from what i've gathered reading what i see here, the actual definition is extremely loose and hard to pin down. i've seen at least 3 solid points that come from different places, but honestly? if i was dan, and i saw it used (in a similar way to asdfghjkl or hhhhhhh) i would probably just take it at face value and assume it was just another way to express an emotion passionately on the internet.

i'm not sure we will ever know the true origin, but the fact that it's not always used harmlessly might not be a well known fact. i've seen a lot of people mention that they had no idea (like myself) of the horrible connotation to ableism. i think it's a fair assumtion that dan is at least innocent in his intentions, based on the fact that the offensive part is only one side of the coin.

re: NEW SURPRISE COLLAB!! i was so excited when i got the notification. i love seeing them do things with other youtubers besides each other, and to see their dynamics with other people. i agree with everyone else that he seemed especially natural, i particularly noticed in his voice. might also have something to do with a foreign setting, without the surroundings to gear him up for however he usually acts. i loved it, can't wait for the part 2!

i noticed he seemed really fresh faced and cute, and i love that shirt. and although i just said he seemed extra comfortable and natural, i also noticed him thinking, as you do with someone you're not really used to being around. he would kind of say something and then check to make sure whatever it was was what he should say, which was really adorable but makes me appreciate the bond he has with dan even more. they're so used to each other the flow is extra easy to watch.
jaej wrote:shawna ~disagrees~ with gay marriage ("you can do it and i dont hate you but i still think its wrong and not right" kind of disagreeing) so i'll be surprised if she becomes a new phandom fave. source is her ask.fm if anyone wants to look it up faster than i can post a link
that's disappointing, i really liked her in the video. :? people who say they disagree but "you can do whatever you want" bother me.
art credit: koreinkorein (thank you!)
thephandommenace
procrastinator
Pronouns: they/them

https://ask.fm/ShawnaHowson/answers/130101288568
I didn't know that so I looked it up. I'll give her the benefit of the doubt because a) the question was answered over a year ago and she may have changed her stance (or not if she's hard-core religious), b) she preached tolerance and acceptance, and support for equality. I don't agree with her 100% (I'm a queer atheist lol) but she doesn't seem like a terrible person.
moaninglisa
drama llama

:sideeye:

I hope demons don't use this as an excuse to attack her, but that's kinda shitty.
She could have changed her mind, though, or at least I want to believe that.
saffarinda
truth bomb

moaninglisa wrote:

I hope demons don't use this as an excuse to attack her, but that's kinda shitty.
well she seemed nice but nvm lol, guess i won't b watching her
25/04/2017 - #blessed
awkwardly
living flop

moaninglisa wrote:

wow, I didn't know, thnx for the info! I would have never guessed that. That really makes me sad that there are young people who are visible on the internet who still think like this. :(
~but the golden age is over
llion
living flop

yikes, those links just make me sick. don't think i'll even curiously skim though her content now. :sideeye: thanks for the heads up!
art credit: koreinkorein (thank you!)
onetruetrash
blobfish

saffarinda wrote:
moaninglisa wrote:

well she seemed nice but nvm lol, guess i won't b watching her
I was gonna say the same thing. I usually don't watch Dan and/or Phil's collabs on other channels and I wasn't gonna watch this one either since it sounded like they would just be talking about anime, which I know nothing about. Then everyone was talking about how nice she seemed and I actually considered it. Definitely not giving her my view now.
lishachi
eclipse shirt

fancybum wrote:Ooh I can't watch yet but a collab that might not be cringe? Excite. This might jog memories or just some recognition if you don't know who that girl is:

Or not, who knows. She's Canadian (woot) but I stopped paying as much attention to her once I realized she was a bit religious lmao. Her and Tessa Violet, no thanks, but they like seem nice enough people if you're into that.

And sims was cute and boring as usual, it was a pleasant ~20 mins, but looking forward to some new post-Florida content.
Wow I didn't realise this was her! That's crazy, and 200 million views for an unofficial video. With ads on, how does that work? (Genuinely curious!)
flarequake wrote:Uhf, this collab was a lovely surprise. He is more himself without acting, it's great to see, and they have good chemistry. His voice sounded good, whoever said it was deeper in this might be right, also his arms looked freckly They have similar colouring too, it's funny to see how they look a little alike. I don't know why I can't find their previous collab, though. I'm not sure whose channel it was on, but it involved sweets, I think, including drinking out of a tiny plastic toilet.
Agree with bolded part for sure. Also it was me who said his voice seems deeper :thumb: He seems more relaxed here, I just hope that the vid on his channel isn't 'persona' crazy.
:biflag: :blackheart:
xaephan
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

moaninglisa wrote:

I skimmed her videos list and didn't really see anything I'd be interested in, but now I'm extra not-interested. I don't actually know very much about Phil's old-school social groups (particularly on YT) except some stuff people have summarized on this forum, but it seems like Phil had a lot of non-straight friends in the early days. Shawna seems like she wouldn't have been a part of that group, so it's interesting that they're still so close.
if my heart was a compass you'd be north
previously myllakka
lost686girl
living flop

Ideas and opinions can change over time, bringing up old tweets in order to judge someone really irks me. If she tweeted that yesterday than sure, judge away. 2015 was two years ago and she may have evolved.
jaej
moon room
Pronouns: he/they/idm

lost686girl wrote:Ideas and opinions can change over time, bringing up old tweets in order to judge someone really irks me. If she tweeted that yesterday than sure, judge away. 2015 was two years ago and she may have evolved.
the ask.fm stuff is only about a year ago. that's really not that long ago tbh
my name is jaejmine masters and i have something to say. dan and phil have fucked up japan :japhan:
phil lester threw the first brick at stonewall, we love a queer icon :biflag:
onetruetrash
blobfish

lost686girl wrote:Ideas and opinions can change over time, bringing up old tweets in order to judge someone really irks me. If she tweeted that yesterday than sure, judge away. 2015 was two years ago and she may have evolved.
If she has evolved, no one has brought it up yet or she hasn't said it publicly. I'm not gonna take the risk.
fancybum
senpai

Unless she evolved out of her religious ideals then probs not. She and people like her don't think 'disagreeing' with gay marriage (or, you know, gayness overall) is hateful because god says so, so unless she woke up one day and realized god is a dick and then shared that realization, holding her to her words seems fair. Maybe I'm just being intolerant though, I guess we can all find out in the afterlife which is apparently the only place where it really matters how we treat people. Earth is a wash.
Thanks and have a great day! Oil me