Dan & Phil Part 46: Some kind of a gay backstory

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
000dia000
emo goose

I said in my post not to make a big deal about the friend thing for once I want to talk about something different than a supposed "no-homo" as people are treating it. Thankfully somebody actually responded to the idea of them breaking down Phil's innocent image, but instead people jumped in and interpreted me saying "no-homo." I need to make more disclaimers in my post. Never change IDB
:cactus:
sugar
eclipse shirt
Pronouns: they/them

about dan's eyes, i remember people making a big deal about a certain super amazing project video where phil is about to leave to go on holiday and everyone in the comments thinks dan was crying because his eyes are red. since then, i've noticed this in a lot of their gaming channel videos. i don't think it has anything to do with him crying, i think he's got eyes that naturally go a little red or they film a lot of videos when he's tired, i don't think it's any deeper than that.
LtrllySusan
lava lamp

awsugar wrote:about dan's eyes, i remember people making a big deal about a certain super amazing project video where phil is about to leave to go on holiday and everyone in the comments thinks dan was crying because his eyes are red. since then, i've noticed this in a lot of their gaming channel videos. i don't think it has anything to do with him crying, i think he's got eyes that naturally go a little red or they film a lot of videos when he's tired, i don't think it's any deeper than that.
Additionally, the lights they use are probably bright as heck (see baking video; "Aaagghh my eyeeess"). Wouldn't be surprised if that can be harsh on the eyes, especially if you're sensitive or tired anyways.
nephilimcat
woodland creature
Pronouns: she/her

Re: gaming video
I liked it. Co-op games will always be my favourite section on DAPG. It's beautiful to see them both playing at the same time while working as a team
Ever since Dan's comment that Phil gets "hangry", I really wanted to see Phil when he's angry. This video only fueled that. I know we probably won't ever see it but it's so interesting to imagine him as a whiny little shit who isn't fun to be around when he's hungry or throwing the controller through the room when he doesn't get something right. Phil is such an intriguing person because he's so guarded. Which I can relate to, I'm like that too (and I'm not even famous)

Re: calling each other friends
A lot of people said really great things already but I wanted to give my two cents as well because I literally kept thinking about this yesterday before falling asleep.

I feel like they could give us a million family and dog mentions and cute family pics but as soon as they call each other friends once, people are going to see it as a step backwards (or even no-homo or something along the lines). That just baffles me! We all see how close they are because of what they decide to share in ls and on their social media. Why does calling each other friends get so much attention? Do you really expect them to confirm a relationship? I certainly don't.

I think they will just keep living their lives. Maybe one day they'll move into their forever home and adopt a dog and keep calling each other best friends (because that's what they are) and never say "We are in a relationship". And maybe one day rings will appear on their fingers and maybe they'll have kids and still call each other best friends. I wouldn't put it past them. Because frankly, their relationship status is none of our business. And I also wouldn't really consider them in the closet (anymore). They just choose to keep some things private because they like privacy, I don't think it's out of fear (anymore). But I could very well be wrong.

They stopped hiding how close they are and denying all kinds of shit. That's why Dan is on holiday with the Lesters without giving an excuse for it. That's why they didn't give any excuses as to why they moved together. They don't say anything about how convenient living with another YouTuber is anymore. And then Dan showed Phil's arm in a reply and shared so many photos from the holiday with the Lesters. Phil indirectly called Dan family. Dan hinted at them adopting a dog together. Etc.
They are quite open about a lot of stuff while still maintaining their (well-deserved) privacy, they just don't explicitly say anything. And I don't think they will. I don't think they need to. Honestly, there probably will be people who will still say they're total platonic bros when they adopt kids together. Because of heteronormativity and homophobia. And maybe they don't even have a traditional relationship. Queerplatonic, life partners, boyfriends, best friends, family - whatever they call themselves in private, I personally imagine them sticking together and not separating or having partners whatever label they use and one day getting a dog together and maybe kids without ever saying anything else than "We're best friends". And as long as they're happy and keep being so adorable, I am so fine with this.
pulvis et umbra sumus
lurker
janice from the shop

i made some timestamps for the video under the cut
0:31 dan gets very much into listing all the games that the switch console should have come with. "stop", phil says firmly.
0:42 dan claims that phil's gaming rage was "the angriest i'd ever seen phil". phil giggles.
0:48 phil wants to explain himself, dan talks over him, phil giggles again.
1:05 phil explains that he was angry because of his difficulties to solve puzzles like the ones in the game. dan nods understandingly. i'm still confused as to what exactly phil was angry at.
1:50 "together we can make the butt" i'm 100% here for innuendos without backtracking or disclaimers and this is only the first one.
2:04 dan feels like the game is already strengthening their friendship. "yeah", phil agrees, not enthusiastic at all.
2:14 dan explains that B is the button on the left. "the left one", he adds with emphasis, then nods silently to himself. quick glimpse into their regular gaming dynamics or dan wanting to let the audience know that phil regularly confuses the buttons? you decide.
2:20 phil repeatedly cuts off dan's character and enjoys himself tremendously, tongue poke included.
2:50 "now you have to come do me" -- "i'll do you, are you ready?"
3:00 dan repeats that the game is strengthening their friendship. it seems important to him. "yeah", phil agrees, slightly more enthusiastic.
3:28 "isn't this game just calming and nice", dan says with a pointed sideways glance.
3:34 "right, get on me." -- "that was said very threateningly" -- "GET ON ME". northern!phil making an appearance?
3:55 dan claims that "phil was already frothing" when they did the tutorial the first time. [to the tune of "i want to know what love is"] i want to know what rage is...i want phil to show me
4:55 "that's the beauty of snipperclips, phil, are you feeling it?" i'm honestly not sure if it's important to dan that phil acknowledges it's a good game or if he's just relentlessly teasing him at this point.
6:02 "you were great moral support", dan says with a smile after they only succeed when phil stands back and lets dan trap the firefly. before that, however: dan giving phil advice and trying to let him do it, and a "you're so bad" delivered with a laugh. #letphildomoregameplay2k17
6:11 dan makes a clear distinction between a "friend" and a "best friend, or family member", sideways glance at phil included.
6:40 "YES, THAT WAS AMAZING", dan shouts after phil solves this one
7:14 dan steps aside to let phil try the snipping #letphildoevenmoregameplay2k17
7:28 phil regrowing instead of snipping is the funniest and most adorable thing dan has ever seen, judging by his look. phil tries again, dan is cheering him on.
7:48 "oh my god, phil", dan says in an exasperated voice, only to literally scream about phil's success a second later.
7:53 "if he wasn't behaving for the gaming channel" all this teasing is getting to much for me, i'm sueing
7:59 "...he would be throwing controllers", dan adds, trying to hide a bright smile.
10:18 "i think it's not deep enough", phil says genuinely concerned. dan snorts.
11:51 "you get, like, an orgasm of problem solving when you do that. it's excruciatingly miserable for like ten minutes as you just stare [staring in his lap] WHAT DO I DO?"
12:13 dan teasingly suggest to continue playing. "NO", phil says firmly.
12:18 phil explains that he didn't get angry because they won. "and because people were watching, so you couldn't unleash your full rage", dan adds in a fondly mocking voice.
12:26 phil wants to be on his best behaviour for us on the gaming channel, just like he would when visiting his grandparents.
12:40 the game is "very...testing for the kindness and communication skills for the person you're playing with", according to dan. "especially me", phil adds. and thus, the mystery of what happened the first time they played it, [buzzfeed unresolved voice] will remain...UNRESOLVED.
thank's you were great
morbit
phillion/danosaur <//3

So Shane Dawson is at it again. He had the Psychic Twins on his podcast and they were talking about Dan and Phil. This episode is only on fullscreen so far, so in the meantime I've transcribed what they said under the spoiler tag:
Shane: This is something people are very curious about. This is a big conspiracy right now.
This is weird for me to talk about because I feel like this is this weird "outing" thing. I don't want to do that, but their fans are convinced that Dan and Phil, youtubers Dan and Phil, are actually in a gay relationship and have been this whole time. I don't think they are, I just think they're fucking with the audience and I think they think it's funny, y'know.

Jessie (co host): Their fashion is not gay enough. I've seen their sneakers in real life and there is no way they're gay.

Shane: Right. But their audience is convinced. They have created this story in their heads that they are together. Now, our psychics, what do you see for Dan and Phil's relationship?

Linda (one of the twins): Well, we invited them on our show as you know (Shane), you were there and they still haven't taken us up on it even after we said, "what are you hiding, Dan and Phil?"
We were pretty open about wanting them to come on the show, but they avoided coming on for whatever reason.
And we know they saw it because they were going "we'll see you in the future" the next video they made.

Shane: Wait, what?

Linda: That's why we know they saw it.

Terry (second twin): They did our outro. And anyway, so this is what I think. We don't actually out people, Shane, as you know, but I think that they have a thing.

Shane: You do?

Terry: Yes.

Linda: I think they did and do. But uh, you know here we said we weren't gonna out anybody. Is this okay?

Jessie: Yeah!

Linda: Okay

Jessie: What are your thoughts?

Terry: What do you think, Drew?

Drew (musical host): I can't comment on that.

Shane: I think, personally, I think that ... I wish they did. I just have a weird feeling that they don't.

Jessie: I'm telling you. Those sneakers. I've seen them.

Shane: But I also maybe think they do and I'm afraid to say it because I don't wanna out them. You know what I mean?

Linda: Remember, what happened with Cameron in Fifth Harmony...

(they go on to list people they predicted were gay)

Shane: So for all the Dan and Phil fans, the psychic twins think they're together, so you're welcome.

So. They're still talking about it for some reason. They have been almost threatening them to come on their show ("if you have nothing to hide, then.."). It's just such a weird topic to see them talk about, and in my opinion it's really invasive to speculate about it when you're a public figure who have your own fans. Idk. Here's what they said anyway.
fancy_nancy
phabergé

morbit wrote:So Shane Dawson is at it again. He had the Psychic Twins on his podcast and they were talking about Dan and Phil. This episode is only on fullscreen so far, so in the meantime I've transcribed what they said under the spoiler tag:
Shane: This is something people are very curious about. This is a big conspiracy right now.
This is weird for me to talk about because I feel like this is this weird "outing" thing. I don't want to do that, but their fans are convinced that Dan and Phil, youtubers Dan and Phil, are actually in a gay relationship and have been this whole time. I don't think they are, I just think they're fucking with the audience and I think they think it's funny, y'know.

Jessie (co host): Their fashion is not gay enough. I've seen their sneakers in real life and there is no way they're gay.

Shane: Right. But their audience is convinced. They have created this story in their heads that they are together. Now, our psychics, what do you see for Dan and Phil's relationship?

Linda (one of the twins): Well, we invited them on our show as you know (Shane), you were there and they still haven't taken us up on it even after we said, "what are you hiding, Dan and Phil?"
We were pretty open about wanting them to come on the show, but they avoided coming on for whatever reason.
And we know they saw it because they were going "we'll see you in the future" the next video they made.

Terry (second twin): They did our outro. And anyway, so this is what I think. We don't actually out people, Shane, as you know, but I think that they have a thing.

Linda: I think they did and do. But uh, you know here we said we weren't gonna out anybody. Is this okay?

Shane: I think, personally, I think that ... I wish they did. I just have a weird feeling that they don't.

Shane: But I also maybe think they do and I'm afraid to say it because I don't wanna out them. You know what I mean?

Shane: So for all the Dan and Phil fans, the psychic twins think they're together, so you're welcome.

So. They're still talking about it for some reason. They have been almost threatening them to come on their show ("if you have nothing to hide, then.."). It's just such a weird topic to see them talk about, and in my opinion it's really invasive to speculate about it when you're a public figure who have your own fans. Idk. Here's what they said anyway.

UGGHH honestly fuck Shane and fuck these "psychic twins" (whoever they are, tbh i have no clue) this is so rude of them and Shane came out as bisexual like idk a year ago maybe, shouldn't he know better than saying things like that?! And saying if they (d&p) have nothing to hide they'll be on their show well maybe they don't want to because why would they want to collab with some assholes who have very publicly discussed their relationship huh??
Ashling Rae
*editing tips*

morbit wrote:Shane: This is something people are very curious about. This is a big conspiracy right now.
Paraphrased-
Shane: I don't want to get hate from them, so I'mma pretend I'm conflicted about talking about this publicly, but here's my opinion... Also, if I say I don't think they're together, that means no hate also, right? Okay, I don't think they're actually together, I just wish they were. Now let's discuss for the views.

I don't hate Shane, but who is he kidding, really? He's brought this up a bunch of times. He's not conflicted, and doesn't feel guilty.
autumnhearth
senpai

LtrllySusan wrote:The family-side-glance part had me a bit too.

Don't think you guys mentioned it yet, there was a cute comment in the video description: "If we play this again I (Dan) will write a secret message in morse code in the next video description which means I'm fearing for my safety around Phil and you have to rescue me, okay?"
Nice catch! I usually miss these things because I watch on the tv.

I forgot to mention that the first thing I noticed was the title "THE GAME THAT WILL DESTROY YOUR FRIENDSHIP" "your friendship" not "our friendship" because really what could destroy that?
lurker wrote:i made some timestamps for the video under the cut
0:31 dan gets very much into listing all the games that the switch console should have come with. "stop", phil says firmly.
0:42 dan claims that phil's gaming rage was "the angriest i'd ever seen phil". phil giggles.
0:48 phil wants to explain himself, dan talks over him, phil giggles again.
1:05 phil explains that he was angry because of his difficulties to solve puzzles like the ones in the game. dan nods understandingly. i'm still confused as to what exactly phil was angry at.
1:50 "together we can make the butt" i'm 100% here for innuendos without backtracking or disclaimers and this is only the first one.
2:04 dan feels like the game is already strengthening their friendship. "yeah", phil agrees, not enthusiastic at all.
2:14 dan explains that B is the button on the left. "the left one", he adds with emphasis, then nods silently to himself. quick glimpse into their regular gaming dynamics or dan wanting to let the audience know that phil regularly confuses the buttons? you decide.
2:20 phil repeatedly cuts off dan's character and enjoys himself tremendously, tongue poke included.
2:50 "now you have to come do me" -- "i'll do you, are you ready?"
3:00 dan repeats that the game is strengthening their friendship. it seems important to him. "yeah", phil agrees, slightly more enthusiastic.
3:28 "isn't this game just calming and nice", dan says with a pointed sideways glance.
3:34 "right, get on me." -- "that was said very threateningly" -- "GET ON ME". northern!phil making an appearance?
3:55 dan claims that "phil was already frothing" when they did the tutorial the first time. [to the tune of "i want to know what love is"] i want to know what rage is...i want phil to show me
4:55 "that's the beauty of snipperclips, phil, are you feeling it?" i'm honestly not sure if it's important to dan that phil acknowledges it's a good game or if he's just relentlessly teasing him at this point.
6:02 "you were great moral support", dan says with a smile after they only succeed when phil stands back and lets dan trap the firefly. before that, however: dan giving phil advice and trying to let him do it, and a "you're so bad" delivered with a laugh. #letphildomoregameplay2k17
6:11 dan makes a clear distinction between a "friend" and a "best friend, or family member", sideways glance at phil included.
6:40 "YES, THAT WAS AMAZING", dan shouts after phil solves this one
7:14 dan steps aside to let phil try the snipping #letphildoevenmoregameplay2k17
7:28 phil regrowing instead of snipping is the funniest and most adorable thing dan has ever seen, judging by his look. phil tries again, dan is cheering him on.
7:48 "oh my god, phil", dan says in an exasperated voice, only to literally scream about phil's success a second later.
7:53 "if he wasn't behaving for the gaming channel" all this teasing is getting to much for me, i'm sueing
7:59 "...he would be throwing controllers", dan adds, trying to hide a bright smile.
10:18 "i think it's not deep enough", phil says genuinely concerned. dan snorts.
11:51 "you get, like, an orgasm of problem solving when you do that. it's excruciatingly miserable for like ten minutes as you just stare [staring in his lap] WHAT DO I DO?"
12:13 dan teasingly suggest to continue playing. "NO", phil says firmly.
12:18 phil explains that he didn't get angry because they won. "and because people were watching, so you couldn't unleash your full rage", dan adds in a fondly mocking voice.
12:26 phil wants to be on his best behaviour for us on the gaming channel, just like he would when visiting his grandparents.
12:40 the game is "very...testing for the kindness and communication skills for the person you're playing with", according to dan. "especially me", phil adds. and thus, the mystery of what happened the first time they played it, [buzzfeed unresolved voice] will remain...UNRESOLVED.
Thank you so much for these! All wonderful moments. They really are too cute.

nephilimcat That was lovely and I find myself agreeing wholeheartedly whenever I read something like this, but then afterward I'm like "but..." *sigh*
secretagentphan
procrastinator

morbit wrote:So Shane Dawson is at it again. He had the Psychic Twins on his podcast and they were talking about Dan and Phil. This episode is only on fullscreen so far, so in the meantime I've transcribed what they said under the spoiler tag:

IT DELETED MY RESPONSE. but basically I'm really mad the co-host just made gay stereotypes about fashion when she's literally hosting with a bisexual man who never cared about fashion.
malday
emo goose

wow, WOW! he just won't shut up about it!

also:
The amount of reaching! stop flattering yourselves!
Ashling Rae wrote: Paraphrased-
Shane: I don't want to get hate from them, so I'mma pretend I'm conflicted about talking about this publicly, but here's my opinion... Also, if I say I don't think they're together, that means no hate also, right? Okay, I don't think they're actually together, I just wish they were. Now let's discuss for the views.
He used that d&p snippet to advertise the entire podcast!
I hope Phil unfollows him too!
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

000dia000 wrote:I said in my post not to make a big deal about the friend thing for once I want to talk about something different than a supposed "no-homo" as people are treating it. Thankfully somebody actually responded to the idea of them breaking down Phil's innocent image, but instead people jumped in and interpreted me saying "no-homo." I need to make more disclaimers in my post. Never change IDB
I think one reason that got responded to more is because that's the bit you actually bolded, which tends to make something come across as more emphatic. Also you put it at the end of the post which meant it was the last thing people read. It tends to be that it doesn't matter how many previous points you make, the last one is the one most fresh on people's minds - me included, obviously.

But to your actual point, I think I did respond to that in the second post I made. But if you want to discuss it further: yes, I totally agree that the softening of Phil's on-screen presence definitely includes (or is encouraged by) how Dan is treating him in the games. Phil basically spelled it out in this most recent game: he feels like he's on his best behavior on the gaming channel, whereas I'm not sure Dan even has a a 'best behavior' button - and especially not when in the moment he's playing something in a room alone with Phil. His awareness of the camera definitely fits in there somewhere but it doesn't make him more polite, if anything it's made him more edgy in the past. They've both definitely relaxed, just in opposing but both lovely ways.
confusedpanda
ar·tic·u·late
Pronouns: Her/she

This whole thing just makes me feel... extremely uncomfortable? Like this isn't some new big conspiracy brought on by the fans themselves Shane, this has been going on for literally 8 years now and it was all because of the way they flirted with eachother online in the beginning and the level of ambiguousness they've given everyone over the years.
Saying you're not going to out anyone but then right before that, basically blackmailing them to be on your channel by saying "you have nothing to hide" is dangerous and toxic as hell to an lgbtq+ person(s). I highly doubt deppy would even shade them by saying "see you in the future", that's just a basic sign off that they do sometimes? I mean of course they'd deny the request to do a video with them, not just because of how toxic and disgustung they are being, but also, doesn't dan not believe in stuff like branded psychic because he's so cynical?

I actually am the most uncomfortable what Jessie said regarding "they can't be gay because I saw they're shoes"... clothing does not define you're sexuality, the fact that Shane agrees with her statement makes zero sense to me. I've given up on Shane long ago, and the moment he started talking about deppy like just another shitty conspiracy, it was the icing on the farewell cake.

Also, why is Shane, someone who is bisexual, suggesting at one point in this that they "aren't gay and therefore aren't together and just fucking with they're fans for the lolz"? He's literally erasing the possiblity of any other sexuality they might be, including his own, which is just a shame.
We're here, we're queer, we're filled with existential fear!
gif cred: pseudophan on tumblr
sugar
eclipse shirt

god that shane dawson thing really pisses me off. first of all, the thing about the shoes. for one, none of the reasons i think they're in a relationship are based on stereotypes like the kind of shoes that they wear. two, she clearly doesn't even know what she's talking about if her main reasoning for them not being together is that she thinks they're straight. their relationship, while i believe pretty wholeheartedly that they're together, is still up for debate. dan's sexuality, however, is not. we don't have to label it obviously but he is certainly not straight. phil's sexuality is still kind of up in the air for me as far as having concrete reasons to believe he's attracted to men but since i believe they're together i clearly don't think he's straight. if i were them, dan especially, i'd be so pissed off that people were disregarding my sexuality based on the shoes i wear. shane, who's bisexual, should have said something.

secondly, it really bothers me that shane thinks it's all a rouse to trick us for their entertainment. i don't think they're those kind of people, but as i've made clear before, i would lose all respect for them if that were true.

and, of course, the whole 'i don't want to out them but we're going to pretty much make bold assumptions on their sexuality and relationship to a large audience anyway' thing really bothered me. if i had any respect left for shane i think it's gone. it's clear that he's trying to capitalize off of the phandom at this point.
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

Unless the actual audio says different, all I got out of this was that I love Drew Monson even more.
morbit
phillion/danosaur <//3

rizzo wrote:

Unless the actual audio says different, all I got out of this was that I love Drew Monson even more.

Yeah, and I didn't include it but they sort of made fun of him for saying that too (Jessie and the twins) which says a lot about how they're handling situations like this.
lost686girl
living flop

morbit wrote:
rizzo wrote:

Yeah, and I didn't include it but they sort of made fun of him for saying that too (Jessie and the twins) which says a lot about how they're handling situations like this.
This is absurd because we've all seen dans footwear lol

The interesting thing is that you really can't "out" dan and phil. Only they can do that. You can gossip and talk all day long but they have worked so hard on their privacy that no one can really come to any firm conclusions. Even die hard phans. We can speculate and pay witness to their actions when they first got together but it's up to them to set the narrative. This is how they want it, they've been very smart about it.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

lost686girl wrote:The interesting thing is that you really can't "out" dan and phil. Only they can do that. You can gossip and talk all day long but they have worked so hard on their privacy that no one can really come to any firm conclusions. Even die hard phans. We can speculate and pay witness to their actions when they first got together but it's up to them to set the narrative. This is how they want it, they've been very smart about it.
I would disagree, I think Shane can out them. Whether not people already familiar with Dan and Phil believe him is a different matter, but the fact that he's in a position of power in the youtuber sphere means his words would have weight. If he flat out said "I know Dan and Phil are gay/bi/whatever and together, here's why." people would listen even if what he was recounting was just second or thirdhand information - especially his own audience that might not have much knowledge of Dan and Phil and therefore wouldn't really question it. His intent in that situation is what would have more impact than whether what he's saying would be verifiable.
Afunnyworld
sofa crease

I feel the need to point out an argument my sister made last time Shane made and Dan and Phil conspiracy video:
Shane makes conspiracy videos about all types of people, youtubers and celebrities. He does not usually restrain himself from mentioning things in these videos, even if I think it's invasive and rude, he does it to everyone. So why are Dan and Phil the exception? Yes I obviously like Dan and Phil, so I get upset when Shane does something like this, but why should I expect Dan and Phil to be 'protected' from this kind of thing, what makes them different or special from anyone else who Shane analyzes?
lost686girl
living flop

alittledizzy wrote:
lost686girl wrote:The interesting thing is that you really can't "out" dan and phil. Only they can do that. You can gossip and talk all day long but they have worked so hard on their privacy that no one can really come to any firm conclusions. Even die hard phans. We can speculate and pay witness to their actions when they first got together but it's up to them to set the narrative. This is how they want it, they've been very smart about it.[/quote

I would disagree, I think Shane can out them. Whether not people already familiar with Dan and Phil believe him is a different matter, but the fact that he's in a position of power in the youtuber sphere means his words would have weight. If he flat out said "I know Dan and Phil are gay/bi/whatever and together, here's why." people would listen even if what he was recounting was just second or thirdhand information - especially his own audience that might not have much knowledge of Dan and Phil and therefore wouldn't really question it. His intent in that situation is what would have more impact than whether what he's saying would be verifiable.
But didn't he already do that in his youtuber conspiracy video? Although he said he doesn't personally believe it He presented the "evidence" and allowed his fans to come to their own conclusions.

I'm not sure why he wants to hurt whatever little relationship he has with dan and Phil. If he takes it any farther he's going to get some angry dms from a lot more people than i bet listen to his podcast
secretagentphan
procrastinator

Afunnyworld wrote:

I feel the need to point out an argument my sister made last time Shane made and Dan and Phil conspiracy video:
Shane makes conspiracy videos about all types of people, youtubers and celebrities. He does not usually restrain himself from mentioning things in these videos, even if I think it's invasive and rude, he does it to everyone. So why are Dan and Phil the exception? Yes I obviously like Dan and Phil, so I get upset when Shane does something like this, but why should I expect Dan and Phil to be 'protected' from this kind of thing, what makes them different or special from anyone else who Shane analyzes?
The thing is, that this isn't something wacky illuminati conspiracy where lady Gaga kills lou reed, this is something with a lot of background and solid speculation so it feels more like outing. I remember I was so pissed because he even gave Kanye West more respect when speculating his sexuality and it wasn't nearly as invasive. Also he knows them to some small extent and is exploiting them for views. He has the power to out them and he's making me mad. Also them being ignorant and calling them straight for shoe choices makes me the most upset.

Also I love Drew Monson.
obliviongrace
*editing tips*

Sorry, this is a quick detour from the Shane topic (For me, the line is drawn when he is speculating on any public figure's sexuality in a public way, since he was once closeted himself). I don't think anyone has already mentioned this, but I enjoy the tweets that Dan liked recently:
And
lurker
janice from the shop

Afunnyworld wrote:Yes I obviously like Dan and Phil, so I get upset when Shane does something like this, but why should I expect Dan and Phil to be 'protected' from this kind of thing, what makes them different or special from anyone else who Shane analyzes?
i agree that there are instances where people are sort of "overprotective" about dan and phil, but i don't think this applies here. none of us know to what extent they are bothered or upset about shane's content, but shane doesn't live in a bubble where he's gossiping about their sexuality and relationship to his 2 friends. even if it didn't bother dan and phil at all, it's still fair to be upset about it as it sends a signal to his own audience, and in this case, it's something along the lines of "they are either in a relationship or exploiting their audience, and also it's totally possible to determine someone's orientation by looking at their outward experience". they 100% play into the mindset here that a person's orientation is something they can't hide and will eventually show in their clothes/mannerisms/interests/look/etc., which can be terrifying to any closeted person watching.
tl;dr i don't think dan and phil need exclusive protection from shane's "analysis", but he should rather draw the line at these sorts of comments altogether
Last edited by lurker on Fri May 19, 2017 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thank's you were great
howadorableright
sad dimple

morbit wrote:

idk why but it really bugs me that the psychic twins are just so sure that dnp have watched their videos. if im remembering correctly, the outro that they did was on some sort of predicting game (honestly i really don't know, but still). the psychic twins "outro" is a pretty common saying
back back back back again
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

Uhf, Will Darbyshire is so cute and pretty, he looks just like a cuter version of one of my novel characters.

I wish Shane would shut up.