Dan & Phil Part 46: Some kind of a gay backstory

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
adequate duck
cheeky #spon
Pronouns: she/they

emerald wrote: I think that it's worth listening to YouTubers like TL;DR and occasionally Sargon of Akkad. I, personally, watch both sides. I don't like associating myself with either because a lot of it is just two poles of the same stick and a lot of going round in circles. We're always going to think that our side is the most rational and see people opposing us as overreacting and silly, but it's good to look at things from an objective, non-personal standpoint.
well thanks for the advice, i'm guessing you are just making a general observation telling us what is good, rather than suggesting that i haven't thought my stance through.

but here's my counter-point: i ain't got time for that shit. i mean maybe there are vloggers/internet personalities who claim the label "anti-sjw" and are interesting and sane, but i'm not going to search for them because i don't want to waste my time wading through sewers. i haven't yet heard a compelling argument about why any particular feminism is bad (excepting TERFs, TERFs can go die in a fire), so personally i don't find it worth my time to keep watching the same old shite in the hope that someone will make sense. if people are going to get my views they have to label themselves in a way that means i'll click. ( i mean it's like country music. i really fucking hate country music. i don't keep listening to it in the hope that there'll be that one song that i like, i just leave it to those who like that kind of thing and go on with my life.)

i'm all for listening to both sides, but you don't have to give both sides equal consideration, unless you find both sides equally compelling. i like to consider my sources and their sources and their education and who their peers are and their education etc etc, and i often find one side is much less credible (to me) than the other.
"don't respect any ducks" - phil lester
saffarinda
truth bomb
Pronouns: she/her

aww, Phil actually tweeted about the primary school noises! i'm glad he's still interested in it, bc it is v intriguing
25/04/2017 - #blessed
fancybum
senpai

alittledizzy wrote: First: ahhhhh your timestamps. That's the good shit right there, ty. I know exactly what happened in the liveshow already yet I'm somehow still hanging on every word when I read them.

To quote Phil: Stop it! Don't be so kind.
Second: I've thought so much about Phil and collabs since that video with Shawna came out. Opinions on her as a person aside, it was a good video. He was good with her, and comfortable in a way I don't think he was with Hazel, or even going back further Caspar or Jim Chapman. Even his collab with Tyler was not quite so smooth, even though Tyler definitely brings a sense of comfort to almost every collaboration that he's in.

Is it that Phil is more comfortable with people he's friends with? Is it that he's more comfortable with men that women? Or is this collab with Shawna more of an example of Phil acting on camera more the way he would off-camera, as we've seen in his behavior shifts with Dan in the past 6-9 months. I suppose the real test will be how "AmazingPhil" he is in the one that actually goes up on his channel.
I think it's a mix of him being more comfortable with people he's friends with, but also just the vibe (?sorry, only word that's coming to me) of the specific people he collabs with. Like Tyler and Caspar-type people (big successful YTers themselves) are in persona mode too, they're all "on" for the camera. Nanalew, as a smaller YTer without a strong personality-brand to project, is just more low-key (more 'authentic' if I can say that without gagging), not acting as much for the camera even though she's "on" in her own way. When you've got bigger personalities all trying to be entertaining over each other (because there's no pre-established interpersonal rhythm to get into) it comes off a little strained (like the Caspar collab for example) and.. a little try-hard? Shawna's just an arty little Canadian chick that he's known for years who likes anime, there's just a different energy and intent behind the video and interaction. (But also yeah, let's wait for the vibe on AP..)
Third, and not really related to anything in your post, but I keep seeing people say that this is Phil's charity collab/it's nice of him to collab with smaller youtubers/etc. It's a funny how perspective can shift with who is a smaller youtuber just based on who they've actually heard of.

Hazel is by far the smallest youtuber that Phil has recently collaborated with - she's got less than 250k subscribers but I don't remember hearing a lot of talk of that being a charity one, because I think most people in phandom are familiar with Hazel and she doesn't seem like a non-entity to them. Strawburry17 has over a million subscribers, Shawna and Cat both have just over 700k subscribers - though in terms of view count Shawna's got her 260 million view video that blows the curve for the small youtuber status ranking by views. (Obviously one very popular viral video does not make a famous youtubers, but it's still - something.) If you only watch Gleamers and Tyler Oakley then all but the 1% of youtubers must seem small. If you tend to subscribe to a lot of up and coming channels then 700k is pretty far past the metric of success on youtube, that's into 'I can support myself with this as my career' territory with some savvy sponsor work.

I guess my point is that small youtuber seems relative, none of the people Phil has collaborated with are actually small channels - they're just small compared to Phil himself, who happens to have accelerated far above his at one point chosen peer group. Phil is the outlier there, not everyone else. Not to get too mushy about Phil, but I'm glad that he still sees those people as his peers and doesn't seem to have the same elevated opinion of himself that fans have. It'd be a damn shame if Phil were one of those people only willing to collaborate in what essentially amount to cross-promotional management company arranged playdates.
The simple answer to that is: it's an easy insult. Look, I fully understand people not wanting to support or reward Nanalew because she has gross thoughts. I already knew who she was, and already knew her leanings, so the novelty of of 'oh she seems nice. wait.... oh" already happened for me awhile ago, I stopped watching her (but not in a boycott way, just in a 'I would prefer to spend my fun internet time on people who don't think I will end up (so: deserve to be?) in hell when that's possible. If she ends up overlapping into my fun internet Phil time (I don't know why I'm calling it that, leave me alone), then I can deal with that, but I respect that other people can't or don't want to have to deal with it themselves. Fair. But yeah, deciding 'oh actually fuck her, it's just a charity collab because I know things about her I didn't before' is the easiest insulting route to take when the facts of her actual personality/thoughts have already been run into the ground. It wouldn't be a charity collab if it was with a tiny YTer who was universally loved with no icky skeletons waiting to be dug up (um, or just casually tweeted out by themselves like nbd). But I understand the impulse. It's all a big from me. Ignoring the personalities involved though, I also like that Phil collabs with whoever (on the rare occasions that he does) without it being clearly about subscriber numbers. It's kind of funny that D&P are thought of as being snobby for being so insulated with each other when it seems more and more apparent as time goes on that basically everybody else that isn't them just sucks in one way or another anyway. Can 'bros before homophobes' be a thing?
Thanks and have a great day! Oil me
Birdie
blobfish
Pronouns: they/them

I don’t think Phil is the kind of person to do charity collabs. When he does a collab, he does so because he wants to. I guess a lot of people aren’t comfortable with Phil being friends with someone like Shawna but I guess we’ll just have to accept that. Lots of people are friends with people with fundamentally different political leanings and I can totally imagine Phil being such a person. He’s always avoided getting too political in his videos and I can see him do that when it comes to his friends too. I have him down as someone who doesn’t like to talk about politics a lot anyway (based on his videos and liveshows, he might of course be completely different in real life) so I don’t think he and Shawna would be discussing gay marriage in detail in the little time they spend together. Some people just agree to disagree and stay friends. It’s not for me but if that’s how Phil wants it, we’ll have to accept that.
capybantsa wrote:Most of the popular anti-SJWs I can find seem to be centrist or liberal/progressive, but even if some of them are the way you describe, I still think it's important to try to understand why they think what they think without assuming the reasons. Bigots exist on both sides of the political spectrum, and none of them are born in a vacuum.
To be quite honest I can’t really understand that “centrist” stuff. I’m not saying it’s wrong or that you can’t do it of course, I just don’t really understand why someone would want to listen to people who are against more lgbtq rights or women’s rights or something. The definition of “anti-SJW” I know is someone who opposes social justice activists because they don’t understand what they’re advocating for. Anti-SJWs usually come from a place of massive privilege. They’re the ones going “But you’re already equal, what do you even want!”, aren’t they? Maybe there are other definitions of the term but that’s what I know them as and I won’t waste my time listening to their side of things.

I do not believe in having to hear both sides anyway. A few days ago there was a religious event in Germany and they decided to let someone from the AfD (an ultra right party, basically Nazis) speak there. There was a lot of outrage and they justified their decision by saying they wanted to give both sides a chance to speak. The woman from the AfD then used her slot at the event (that’s meant to promote world piece or something) to spout racist garbage. So what they did was give a literal Nazi the chance to spread her ideology. And that’s where “But we have to listen to both sides!” ends for me.

If someone’s “opinion” is that feminism isn’t needed anymore or that gay marriage should be banned or whatever I will not my waste my time listening to them, no matter how interesting they are as a person or what their arguments are. Someone whose “opinion” literally limits the rights of others or shames them for wanting equal rights doesn’t deserve to be listened to. That’s dangerous, folks. That’s how Trump getting elected happened. That’s why the Nazis are on the rise again in Europe, because we’re giving them a platform to spread their ideologies in the name of “letting both sides tell their story”.

Tl;dr: If someone’s arguments, opinions or political ideologies include harming others or limiting their rights, I don’t think they deserve to be listened to. If you want to listen to both sides and understand why they believe gay marriage should be banned or whatever, you do you. But the answer is usually hatred of the other or bigotry and I don’t have to listen to these people to know that. They literally want more privilege for themselves and less rights for others. There’s no reason or argument they could come up with, no matter how compelling, that makes that okay. There’s nothing to understand there. Just hatred.
Last edited by Birdie on Mon May 29, 2017 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elemancy
butt chair

emerald wrote:
adequate duck wrote:
echinodon wrote:
capybantsa wrote: Being well informed means knowing the what and why from all sides directly from them, not sheltering yourself from certain views.

Couldn't agree more
on the other hand, when one side is well thought out arguments and facts, and the other is frothing conspiracy theorists, i don't have time to give each side equal consideration. and to be honest, up until now, 98% of the anti-sjw videos/articles i've seen are far more the latter than the former. don't confuse them with conservatives, because although there is some overlap, anti-sjws just seem to be mostly concerned that they can't be bigoted assholes without getting called out and getting their feelings hurt, rather than well thought out points about why we should lower taxes, ban same-gender marriage, and cut minimum-wage (i'm still not buying the actual conservative points, to me it seems it's just so rich people can get richer and nobody has to explain "the gays" to their kids, but at least it seems to be their own agenda, rather than reacting to something else)
I may be slightly biased here, but honestly? Most of the anti-SJWs I see call themselves "classical liberals." They agree with same-sex marriage, increasing taxes, general human rights etc., just don't like "third wave feminism." Sure, the loudest voices might be "triggerers" like Milo Yiannopoulos, but I don't think that they're the majority, simply the most outrageous and therefore the most well-known.

I think that it's worth listening to YouTubers like TL;DR and occasionally Sargon of Akkad. I, personally, watch both sides. I don't like associating myself with either because a lot of it is just two poles of the same stick and a lot of going round in circles. We're always going to think that our side is the most rational and see people opposing us as overreacting and silly, but it's good to look at things from an objective, non-personal standpoint.
I get that objective, open discussion is always the preferable stance when trying to arrive towards the end goal of progress and understanding in any conversation or to augment a body of knowledge beyond the limited purview of personal experience, but at the same time I’m not sure people who selectively choose to exclude themselves from certain discussions, topics or people, especially when speaking of more controversial matters which directly affects their identities, health or backgrounds, should be seen as depriving themselves of educational merit. It’s difficult to always have an objective stance when dealing with matters of great personal significance that tend to be trivialized in the face of arbitrary statistics presented to prove a “fundamental, irrefutable truth” about their own conditions, just like people will naturally balk against random amateur diagnoses of their mental or physiological state. Even more so when these prescribed methods of correction are brought up under the explanation as being for someone’s own good, while implying a reciprocating lack of comprehension, acceptance or tolerance –or what might be perceived as a complete disinterest in trying- indicates irrational behavior, when instead, it’s only logical for someone to reject a conversation which attempts to clinically dissect and rationalize away their personal struggles, identities and/or preferences, especially when the topic veers towards advocating for a solution to their own detriment under the guise of championing the cause for a universal good.

As one relevant example, how challenging must it be for a refugee to listen in with objective passivity on conversations about the increase in crime rates since they arrived to a country, with the only viable solution to their crisis being wholesale alienation and exile to match that which they’ve already faced from their homeland, as if implying they have a racial predisposition towards violence and therefore cannot be afforded the privilege of charity or sanctuary? And, tying into the conversation about Nanalew’s comments earlier and why people would refuse to view her content or engage with her angle, it’s much the same when topics like same-sex marriage and civil liberties turn into points of debatable concern, where homophobia becomes a perspective worthy of engagement rather than critique, to understand the reasons for why they think what they do as if it’s predicated on a root of commonality where such exclusionary thinking could ever be deemed cogent or understandable. Ellen Page’s Gaycation series already highlights the terrifying dichotomies inherent with such views and I can’t imagine everyone would so readily subject themselves to a Q&A session of that sort, be it with a low key advocate of reluctant tolerance or the extremist bigots with the loudest voices. For some people, Nanalew's past rhetoric could be seen as a point of little concern despite disagreeing with it, allowing them to enjoy her content without associating it with her political/religious views, but for others, cautiously engaging with someone's work or creative content even when not focused on such topics can prove to be a challenge of opposing interests where seeking to insulate themselves from the potential of future harm by not engaging with that person's work at all is more preferable to waiting around to see when the next shoe will fall in terms of indirectly supporting any more statements that imply a bias against certain members of the audience.

It’s an uncomfortable pill to swallow that many people aren’t willing to take in the first place and declining to hear the reasons for such arguments isn’t necessarily shunning an opportunity at “education,” it could just be refusing to sit in on another hard lesson in how the conditions and terms of someone’s existence or identity is perceived to have an overreaching negative impact that needs to be restricted or quarantined away from the rest of society for it to remain functional. Even in cases where opposing views uphold basic human rights as a preferred norm, there always tends to be a case of cherry picking exactly what constitutes human rights and who might be more deserving of the benefit of the doubt as in the current conversation with immigration laws and refugees or why same-sex relationships are okay but same-sex marriage is impractical. It’s a mine field of a conversation and a way of thinking that will always have a platform regardless of individual preference, but as stated, it’s not one everyone has to agree with and it’s also not one everyone has the ability or obligation to listen to either and I think pushing the point towards that end anyway is rather missing the point.

Gaining a balanced view of political models and behaviors shouldn't necessitate a willingness to be complicit in one's own dehumanization in the process.

and also: what adequate duck and Katka said.
:dildo:
jhamba
procrastinator

adequate duck wrote:
emerald wrote: I think that it's worth listening to YouTubers like TL;DR and occasionally Sargon of Akkad. I, personally, watch both sides. I don't like associating myself with either because a lot of it is just two poles of the same stick and a lot of going round in circles. We're always going to think that our side is the most rational and see people opposing us as overreacting and silly, but it's good to look at things from an objective, non-personal standpoint.
well thanks for the advice, i'm guessing you are just making a general observation telling us what is good, rather than suggesting that i haven't thought my stance through.

but here's my counter-point: i ain't got time for that shit. i mean maybe there are vloggers/internet personalities who claim the label "anti-sjw" and are interesting and sane, but i'm not going to search for them because i don't want to waste my time wading through sewers. i haven't yet heard a compelling argument about why any particular feminism is bad (excepting TERFs, TERFs can go die in a fire), so personally i don't find it worth my time to keep watching the same old shite in the hope that someone will make sense. if people are going to get my views they have to label themselves in a way that means i'll click. ( i mean it's like country music. i really fucking hate country music. i don't keep listening to it in the hope that there'll be that one song that i like, i just leave it to those who like that kind of thing and go on with my life.)

i'm all for listening to both sides, but you don't have to give both sides equal consideration, unless you find both sides equally compelling. i like to consider my sources and their sources and their education and who their peers are and their education etc etc, and i often find one side is much less credible (to me) than the other.
yeah, this reminds me of something I saw one which was like, "objectivity is more desirable than neutrality", which holds very true, imo. Being a centrist usually means that you're neutral to both parties, but when it comes to the US political climate (which is usually where self proclaimed centrists are from), being a centrist means somewhere between right of center, and extreme right, so being a centrist just means that you're a right winger, not somewhere between left and right.

I, like duck, personally have no time for people who are "neutral". Being neutral on things like universal healthcare and racism means that you don't really give a shit about either, usually because you are in a position to not give a shit. Being a centrist in a political circumstance like America is like being somewhere between, "we should kill babies", and "we should not kill babies" (and, no, this is not about abortion, and I have no time for people who are going to bring up abortion for this, so fuck you). Being objective means that you're on the side of, "we should definitely not kill babies, what the fuck"
Just trying to spread the Dangirl agenda
thephandommenace
procrastinator
Pronouns: they/them

jhamba wrote:
adequate duck wrote:

yeah, this reminds me of something I saw one which was like, "objectivity is more desirable than neutrality", which holds very true, imo. Being a centrist usually means that you're neutral to both parties, but when it comes to the US political climate (which is usually where self proclaimed centrists are from), being a centrist means somewhere between right of center, and extreme right, so being a centrist just means that you're a right winger, not somewhere between left and right.

I, like duck, personally have no time for people who are "neutral". Being neutral on things like universal healthcare and racism means that you don't really give a shit about either, usually because you are in a position to not give a shit. Being a centrist in a political circumstance like America is like being somewhere between, "we should kill babies", and "we should not kill babies" (and, no, this is not about abortion, and I have no time for people who are going to bring up abortion for this, so fuck you). Being objective means that you're on the side of, "we should definitely not kill babies, what the fuck"
I was just about to write the same thing

I used to throw around the libertarian label until I realised the (centrist/ libertarian/ anti-SJW) people I was listening to all came from a position of privilege, ridiculed people for actually caring about issues and I fell prey to a lot of what they said out of internal misogyny or because they said stuff like "I'm xyz minority and I don't act like this (aka I'm a cool guy who doesn't annoy you with being offended, pls love me)". By standing in the middle of an issue and not taking sides it meant they wouldn't claim responsibility if their indifference meant the right won. It's not enough to not be one of the assholes trying to take away people's rights; you have to actively fight against discrimination when you see it.

emerald I feel you about getting bored occasionally but they're giving so much more content than they used to and the stuff they've put out recently is all pre-recorded stuff. I tend to feel tired of them the most when they're away from home (even though Singapore brought us that absolutely wonderful aquarium selfie ). Also I've never stanned someone for so long so there are bound to be dry patches and points when I think to myself "why do I care so much about these two guys I've never met again?". And then they'll make a wonderful video that lifts my spirits on a down day and I'll remember.
Susanisnotafish
flower crown
Pronouns: She/her

I'm way not educated enough to get in on this discussion, but I just want to express my admiration for all your communication skills. Proud that deppy attract such an educated audience.
"Rub those freckles all over me!" --Daniel Howell
Moony
sofa crease

I hope this wasn't already mentioned but didn't anyone else think that it was weird for dan to make dil sleep on the log thingy and then get suprised by it?
I just thought I didn't see it correctly, but then I stumbled across this tumblr post:

http://kateypops.tumblr.com/post/161188 ... ime-for-me
(sorry, but embedding the tumblr post itself doesn't work for some reason?)

what do you guys think?
Personally, I understand that this is their job and they have to make it entertaining, but being lied to so obviously is just a bit meh.
Idk, if dil gets pregnant and they act all suprised I'll probably cringe a lot
(This is of course only assuming that the theory is correct.)
haha did you see eightieskids adding "all men do is lie" to that post ahahaha idk why I find it so funy
dontpanic
#relatable

Nathan Zed, aka Dan's most supportive twitter pal, was inspired by good 'ol Danny to rebrand. Now can they make a vid together finally?

I don't think I saw anyone mention this but I haven't fully caught up on the thread yet...
ArtyJim
glabella

Moony wrote:I hope this wasn't already mentioned but didn't anyone else think that it was weird for dan to make dil sleep on the log thingy and then get suprised by it?
I just thought I didn't see it correctly, but then I stumbled across this tumblr post:

what do you guys think?
Personally, I understand that this is their job and they have to make it entertaining, but being lied to so obviously is just a bit meh.
haha did you see eightieskids adding "all men do is lie" to that post ahahaha idk why I find it so funy
i thought it was pretty obvious when dan was like wait phil do you hear something? and then they started freaking out about dil getting abducted. there was nothing natural about that lol. but that's how a lot of their stuff goes and how they keep the sims series going imo. i dont take it as being lied to since it's a video game and they're progessing the storyline lmao.
000dia000
emo goose

dontpanic wrote:Nathan Zed, aka Dan's most supportive twitter pal, was inspired by good 'ol Danny to rebrand. Now can they make a vid together finally?

I don't think I saw anyone mention this but I haven't fully caught up on the thread yet...
I was just about to come here to post that, but you beat me to it. I find the comparison between Dan and Nathan quite interesting, Nathan's absences from YouTube are probably what Dan would be like if he didn't have a gaming channel and a Phil. They share very similar views and sentiments on existentialism and work ethics. They should probably collab but I wonder what they would discuss, they're too alike they can't really do the kind of collab where they cross over each others style/interests. And Dan seems to flat out actually do or discuss things he's good at it/interested in now. Dan having an in depth conversation about an intellectual subject that (possibly outside) people will scrutinize? Nope. I'm being pessimistic, maybe they'd do a great collab, I want to see it some day.

Offtopic rant on Existentialism:
Honestly it's popular to be this, so that's not terribly uncommon. I find that people like to talk about they're existentialists and talk down to other people and use it as a way of feeling intellectually superior. Maybe this is a sentiment I share because I wouldn't be the type to being it up or discuss it with people, so they think I wouldn't be the type to acknowledge it. I don't want to bring it up because it actively depresses me and makes me lie awake in bed at night, I'd rather not talk about it for someone's own personal aesthetic related to it. And yeah, aesthetic so they can reblog it on Tumblr and romanticise it. Idk why these things are so trendy now, they became less relatable and more just attention seeking. There's no original ideas. Everything's is bland and recycled commentary. If I heard something new I might be entertained a smidgen. Honestly, this is kind of a commentary I see of the treatment of it in the phandom. It had lost all meaning and has become a lol random in joke. People lying down to mimic Dan's existential crisis position, etc. I was the only person to bring this up, I'm sorry I went on a random rant about it.
:cactus:
cherrybomb3
cheeky #spon
Pronouns: he/him

dontpanic wrote:Nathan Zed, aka Dan's most supportive twitter pal, was inspired by good 'ol Danny to rebrand. Now can they make a vid together finally?

yes boi yes boi yesyesyesyesyes

king of my life
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

It might only be a few times they've pretended to be surprised by things in the Sims that they've actually manipulated, but already my reaction is a faint sigh, daft boys

I like Nathan Zed, had forgotten I was subscribed to him, good to see him pop back in.
plath
sofa crease

Moony wrote:I hope this wasn't already mentioned but didn't anyone else think that it was weird for dan to make dil sleep on the log thingy and then get suprised by it?

what do you guys think?
oh wow...

am I the only one who totally didn't pick up on that? I don't play the sims, maybe that's why, but I didn't notice Dan making Dil sleep outside on the log. That makes me a bit :( tbh like I know that they want the videos to be interesting but idk, I like things being spontaneous.

I think that's why I like the liveshows the most out of all the stuff they do (and why I had no interest in seeing TATINOF) - because that veneer of authenticity and spontaneity is why I watch youtubers. If I wanted scripted drama I could just like watch Riverdale or something. Or the Kardashians.

Now I think about it, it is kinda suspect that Dan was so chill about Dil getting abducted. This is the guy who routinely shatters glasses (and scares my cat) with his screetching. They seemed a bit low energy the whole video but I assumed that they were just shattered after travelling.

My head's doing that weird thing again where my expectations of authenticity are being confronted with the cold hard truth of reality and it's just I know this is their job to entertain us and they're strangers and we don't really know them...but I don't like being reminded of it...

God it's late and I'm so sleep deprived, I'm sure this won't seem so dramatic once I've had some sleep.
nope.
lost686girl
living flop

does that really qualify as being "lied" to? they are playing a game for fun...i assumed that they always try to make a storyline during the sims and they are gonna have to do some manipulation to make things entertaining.
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

The Sims can be a boring as hell game especially when you've been playing as long as D&P have by now. They can't keep counting on something exciting to happen every time the play so they put little things like that in to keep the audience engaged during the dull parts.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
saffarinda
truth bomb

lost686girl wrote:does that really qualify as being "lied" to? they are playing a game for fun...i assumed that they always try to make a storyline during the sims and they are gonna have to do some manipulation to make things entertaining.
i agree with that, if they just had endless videos doing normal stuff people would get bored quickly - i think they may have manifested it so it looks so random to add to the humour element. idc tho, if dil got preggers it would be hilar.

existentialism
i think over the years dans jokes regarding it, along with the internets general response to it have made it something of an irrelevant joke - however, when i was younger and first got into dnp it was the existential jokes that attracted me to their content. after lying at night crying about the inevitability of death, how pointless my achievements would be when the universe would eventually explode and nothing - not even shakespeare - would be remembered, and how it was likely i would die before my parents... well, a more humorous approach was what lightened me up slightly. dans video and his approach in general made any existential crisis much less frequent (because now i could contemplate the thoughts without crying as often!) and helped me a lot tbh.

its gotten to the point where i just find the existential crisis jokes a bit tacky without any meaning, i'm not doubting that it's reflected on at least some part of instances that have occured to dan, but when discussing them in videos the meaning behind it is just lost.

i'd rather see dan discuss his thoughts than make brief allusions to them for humour, but the humour helped me a lot when i was younger so i dont really wanna b hypocritical and shame the entire thing

and i rambled way more than i anticipated soz i have a lot of random thoughts bout this
25/04/2017 - #blessed
malday
emo goose

They read the comments on videos and manipulate the game to take the story in the direction people want.
Ilovethemohyesido
living flop

I have a question. When Dan and Phil met, was Phil still in university?
lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual

Ilovethemohyesido wrote:I have a question. When Dan and Phil met, was Phil still in university?
When they first met in person (October 2009), Phil has finished his Master's degree and moved back home. He actually moved back home (to his parents' house), in late August/early September, I believe, so when Dan and Phil first connected online, Phil was still at uni.
"If you're left-handed, ask a friend."
"Why am I left-handed?"
"Everybody makes mistakes."
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

LeftHandedism wrote:
Ilovethemohyesido wrote:I have a question. When Dan and Phil met, was Phil still in university?
When they first met in person (October 2009), Phil has finished his Master's degree and moved back home. He actually moved back home (to his parents' house), in late August/early September, I believe, so when Dan and Phil first connected online, Phil was still at uni.
Yep, all true. :D

A lot of people don't realize that Phil was still at uni. He actually had a housemate named Dan at that point, and there's a long series of tweets where that Dan tweeted from a computer that Phil left his twitter account signed into. Since it involved tweets like "I love Dan" and "Phil kissed a boy and he liked it" it tends to get incorrectly attributed to our Dan a lot. (Though, really, it just makes me wanna know why his friend was teasing him about kissing a boy and liking it...)
snokoplasmic
procrastinator

LeftHandedism wrote:
i thought he finished his masters in 2010? i could have my mental timeline mixed up, i'll have to go re-check that
000dia000
emo goose

alittledizzy wrote:
LeftHandedism wrote:
Yep, all true. :D

A lot of people don't realize that Phil was still at uni. He actually had a housemate named Dan at that point, and there's a long series of tweets where that Dan tweeted from a computer that Phil left his twitter account signed into. Since it involved tweets like "I love Dan" and "Phil kissed a boy and he liked it" it tends to get incorrectly attributed to our Dan a lot. (Though, really, it just makes me wanna know why his friend was teasing him about kissing a boy and liking it...)
Oh my God.

I read your post about five times, I thought you were being sarcastic
I'm intrigued that Phil had apparent two Dan's in his life. I'm surprised there isn't a crack theory that Phil got with our Dan to replace his heartache for old Dan. (I'm just kidding). But thanks for pointing this out
:cactus:
Ilovethemohyesido
living flop

Thanks for the answer.
What about the other way around, when they met qas Dan in his sabbatical year? Starting uni? Fonishing school?