Dan & Phil Part 46: Some kind of a gay backstory

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
aleanna
glabella

I'm still pretty new to watching the livestreams on younow, so I just wanted to ask... do Deppy usually comment on people's profiles to thank them for watching?
Check out my YouTube channel where I post badly edited vlog-things: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4MzLr ... nRQQMRpp6A
llion
living flop
Pronouns: she/her

aleanna wrote:I'm still pretty new to watching the livestreams on younow, so I just wanted to ask... do Deppy usually comment on people's profiles to thank them for watching?
pretty much! i personally don't get the appeal of getting a shoutout, but some people do i guess. i think it's cute enough when they do anyway, cause they keep it to a minimum most of the time. it's still weird to me recognizing the top fan's names though. has anyone ever asked them to shoutout IDB like they do group chats sometimes? that would thoroughly freak me out haha
art credit: koreinkorein (thank you!)
SquishPhan
capita£ester

I find it really interesting that Phil finds the whole noise thing fascinating. It are things like these that make me understand why Phil studied linguistics.
llion wrote:
aleanna wrote:I'm still pretty new to watching the livestreams on younow, so I just wanted to ask... do Deppy usually comment on people's profiles to thank them for watching?
pretty much! i personally don't get the appeal of getting a shoutout, but some people do i guess. i think it's cute enough when they do anyway, cause they keep it to a minimum most of the time. it's still weird to me recognizing the top fan's names though. has anyone ever asked them to shoutout IDB like they do group chats sometimes? that would thoroughly freak me out haha
There has been a shoutout to IDB in the past.
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

Dan's been asked to "waddup to In Depth Bants" a few times and has done, but hasn't sounded like he's heard of it.

It was a nice liveshow, I was disappointed he seemed to leave so early, but I'd forgotten he does them shorter than Dan. He'd covered everything, pretty zippy really, and was sweet, smiley and bouncy. It's a shame about his mug, not sure you can trust checked luggage with breakable things or if you can safely hold hot drinks in a mug with a glued handle, my dad told me it would be too heavy anyway. If that's all he bought as souvenirs from a nearly three week trip, he was pretty restrained. It was sweet that he complimented the art they were given, they used to have time to react to each piece so it's nice to hear what they think at all sometimes.

The linguistics part was interesting. He's got enough of a userbase that he could actually do a study, there's apparently a lot of variety in the noises little kids make.

Looking forward to seeing which plushie photos won the prizes. I entered for the lols, I'd stuck them in my jeans pockets so I could carry something upstairs and realised it looked funny so snapped a quick photo, and then another when I got upstairs and realised Phil had nearly fallen out, but was still hanging on by his foot.

Ooh, plushie winners have been announced. Some were clearly a lot of effort, cute and funny too. Someone made Phil's bed out of Jenga pieces, that's creativity
Moon
spork

let's discuss the room structure based on the reflection in the mug
That's the plan.
aleanna
glabella

llion wrote:

Yeah, I don't really get the appeal of shoutouts, but I was startled when I looked at my phone about an hour after the livestream and I had a notification that said "Phil Lester left a comment on your younow profile." lol
Check out my YouTube channel where I post badly edited vlog-things: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4MzLr ... nRQQMRpp6A
saffarinda
truth bomb

Ah, lil linguistics Phil coming back with the "umm"'s and "oooh"'s - it is quite interesting, I'd love to know if there is any reason behind it, or if it's just passed on via. other people/the media.

I'm wondering how much earlier Dan went back though, and what the reason behind it was. I'd have guessed that his new video was filmed in Florida, it doesn't seem sunny or large enough to be their duplex but who knows - the general furniture doesn't scream dnp to me though.

Also, Phil made me laugh quite a bit in that liveshow - theres a specific element to his humour where he brings in the mild self-depricating manner that's hilarious to me (also, I found it v sweet how he liked the fact that him being locked outside brightened the paper boys round/day).
25/04/2017 - #blessed
onetruetrash
blobfish

flarequake wrote:Dan's been asked to "waddup to In Depth Bants" a few times and has done, but hasn't sounded like he's heard of it.
What do you mean? Deppy have heard of IDB.
The_Blonde
living flop

Moon wrote:let's discuss the room structure based on the reflection in the mug
literally just waiting for this, as soon as he did it I was like "well, that's a series of screencaps waiting to happen

Lovely liveshow as always, but I did forget how much quicker his seem to be compared to Dan's. As someone who has broken many mugs in luggage over the years (always the handle, why?) I feel his pain.

(I'm Welsh and in my school we used to say "ummmmm-a" with like a hard a sound on the end so who knows what that means. All very interesting though!)
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

onetruetrash wrote:
flarequake wrote:Dan's been asked to "waddup to In Depth Bants" a few times and has done, but hasn't sounded like he's heard of it.
Really? I don't know how we'd know tbh, though they can find it if they look. All I've seen is those liveshows and when Dan answered those messages he sounded the same as shouting out any group chat, like it was the first he'd heard of the name.
lurker
janice from the shop
Pronouns: they/them

could someone who knows what noise phil was referring to explain to me what he was talking about? did he mean that the kids in class would all do that simultaneously...? when someone would answer incorrectly to a teacher's question...? because that sounds really uncanny (and intimidating tbh) to me, but i'm not sure if i got it right. i'm interested in what it means now though.

re: dan and phil vs idb, i found idb by googling something related to one of their videos when i was still a pretty casual viewer, so i'm always assuming they must have stumbled upon it at some point. doesn't mean they lurk though and same as flarequake i don't think there's been any evidence suggesting that?
thank's you were great
The_Blonde
living flop

lurker wrote:could someone who knows what noise phil was referring to explain to me what he was talking about? did he mean that the kids in class would all do that simultaneously...? when someone would answer incorrectly to a teacher's question...? because that sounds really uncanny (and intimidating tbh) to me, but i'm not sure if i got it right. i'm interested in what it means now though.
It does sound pretty uncanny and Children of the Corn-ish! I can only speak from my Welsh school experience, but it wasn't so much when someone answered incorrectly but more when someone did something outright naughty or that was gonna get them a detention or something. Like signalling the teacher that something bad had happened. (I did work experience in a primary school [so ages 4-11] as a teen and remember a class doing it when one kid poured paint all over another kid's work). If that makes sense! It never was a thing past primary school though.
lurker
janice from the shop

The_Blonde wrote:
lurker wrote:could someone who knows what noise phil was referring to explain to me what he was talking about? did he mean that the kids in class would all do that simultaneously...? when someone would answer incorrectly to a teacher's question...? because that sounds really uncanny (and intimidating tbh) to me, but i'm not sure if i got it right. i'm interested in what it means now though.
It does sound pretty uncanny and Children of the Corn-ish! I can only speak from my Welsh school experience, but it wasn't so much when someone answered incorrectly but more when someone did something outright naughty or that was gonna get them a detention or something. Like signalling the teacher that something bad had happened. (I did work experience in a primary school [so ages 4-11] as a teen and remember a class doing it when one kid poured paint all over another kid's work). If that makes sense! It never was a thing past primary school though.
thanks for the explanation! that definitely wasn't a thing in my schools -- i guess there was more of an atmosphere where it'd be really looked down on anyone bringing the teacher's attention to it. so it still sounds really unfamiliar to me. huh. interesting though indeed, i'd like to see that study on where children make that noise and what it sounds like. maybe a map with audio data.
first the bowling rails and bumpers and now this, thanks idb for educating me on this weekend.
Last edited by lurker on Sun May 28, 2017 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thank's you were great
pilotlight
#relatable
Pronouns: he/him

I really enjoyed him talking about The Noise. It's so interesting how the sound is differently apparently from place to place.
When I was in elementary school, it was definitely more of a collective "oouuuuu!" when someone got in trouble or got called down to the director's office.
karma_yeah
philussy

I enjoyed the ls and seeing the things Phil brought back. Feel bad for him about the mug, and of course he'll share Dan's, I would expect nothing less

He seemed very happy (and just a little jet lag). Oh, and "Altitude makes you cry" (at around 19 minutes.) That's a long plane ride to be without Dan Daniel. His description of the "booth things" on the plane was interesting.

Glad he enjoyed Miami. Seeing baby gators on their airboat ride--Phil and his animals (he even went to the scene of the squirrel crime). I enjoyed hearing his thoughts on the ASMR.

The part about pranking Dan with the banana cracked me up. He was so proud of himself :D . Dan will probably be hearing about that for years. I don't think I've ever heard him mention Martyn so much. It sounds like they have a nice relationship. He mentioned nanalew (or whatever her name is) was an "old friend". Tbh, after reading everyone's comments, I don't think I'll be watching it, primarily because I don't want to support her with the "click", as I disagree strongly with her political leanings.

As cherrybomb3 mentioned earlier, for those of you fortunate enough to live in a democratic country where you have a voice in your government: Please learn from the travesty that was the most recent US election. There was significant outside influence from a country run by an autocrat and the person who "won" in the US (he lost the popular vote and is NOT my president) is doing all he can to do the same thing to our country. It's terrifying, embarrassing, and who knows how long it will take to repair the damage he is doing, if we are able to get him out. So please: vote, and vote wisely.
What goes around, comes around Image
phanofcats
delia smith

karma_yeah wrote: That's a long plane ride to be without Dan Daniel. His description of the "booth things" on the plane was interesting.
I thought so too. They are really close together and for "friends." We've seen deppy in those seats before, and I'm pretty sure someone looked it up and saw it was a special thing for couples?
Moon wrote:let's discuss the room structure based on the reflection in the mug
Hoping to see this on here in the morning
pearshaped34
morning quiff

As a non-communicative fan (i.e I make no attempts to communicate with Deppy on any social platform and have no desire to ever do so) I do weirdly find I only really want to watch liveshows when I'm able to watch them actually live.

I didn't get plans today until around 6pm UK time and before that I was actually looking forward to Phil's LS and now I'm home after plans I have no desire to watch it back even though before I went out I was practically counting down to it.

I've been the same with Dan's too. I have no idea why it being live makes such a difference to my enjoyment as I don't want to communicate with them (or even follow the chat) but weirdly it does.
adequate duck
cheeky #spon
Pronouns: she/they

pearshaped34 wrote:I've been the same with Dan's too. I have no idea why it being live makes such a difference to my enjoyment as I don't want to communicate with them (or even follow the chat) but weirdly it does.
for me it's that i'm curious about what they're up to and interested to see their states of mind (at least what they'll show to us) and i find that if i miss a live show, then hearing other people's reactions and seeing timestamps here and gifs on tumblr pretty much fulfills that need for me and i'm no longer necessarily eager to watch the show myself
"don't respect any ducks" - phil lester
uglyamerican
woodland creature

Phillip was nice and bubbly for this ls - it was a relief to see that their internet was able to support a decent stream. I was worried since his last ls before leaving for Florida was a lagfest. Anyway, +1 on Miami Beach - it's my fav in Florida. And +1 on the KSC tour - it's a pretty fascinating place, especially the Atlantis shuttle suspended from the ceiling with the bays open. Impressive - it's bigger than you think it is.
cherrybomb3
cheeky #spon

karma_yeah wrote: So please: vote, and vote wisely.
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

lurker wrote:
The_Blonde wrote:
thanks for the explanation! that definitely wasn't a thing in my schools -- i guess there was more of an atmosphere where it'd be really looked down on anyone bringing the teacher's attention to it. so it still sounds really unfamiliar to me. huh. interesting though indeed, i'd like to see that study on where children make that noise and what it sounds like. maybe a map with audio data.
first the bowling rails and bumpers and now this, thanks idb for educating me on this weekend.
It sounds uncomfortable to me as well. In my school in most cases you'd get punished alongside whoever did something 'bad' because you snitched lol. I think culturally for me it's seen as sign of having a bad personality or something. Well, at least for children anyway... adults snitch all the time.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
VengefulBlue
rainbow nerd

for us (in northeast of the usa) the "ooooooh" noise was for when the grown up (teacher/mum/dad/etc) was already telling someone off, like
kid: *breaks rule*
grown up: *call them out on it*
rest of the kids: ooooooh, you're in trouble
loonyradish
living flop

adequate duck wrote:
pearshaped34 wrote:I've been the same with Dan's too. I have no idea why it being live makes such a difference to my enjoyment as I don't want to communicate with them (or even follow the chat) but weirdly it does.
for me it's that i'm curious about what they're up to and interested to see their states of mind (at least what they'll show to us) and i find that if i miss a live show, then hearing other people's reactions and seeing timestamps here and gifs on tumblr pretty much fulfills that need for me and i'm no longer necessarily eager to watch the show myself

Just wanted to say that I experienced quite the same - I was so excited to watch the ls, but I was with a friend at the time and couldn't convince him of watching it with me, even if I tried in a subtle way. When I came home, I watched barely the first five minutes before I got bored. I'd explain it with what adequate duck said; reading all of your responses tells me everything I wanted to know.
It could also be because a livestream is something transient, and therefore creates more of an urge to watch than the already fully uploaded video? When I think of watching the original ls, I get the feeling that I have to watch it right now, or otherwise I'll miss it. But when I think of the fully uploaded ls-video, it's more of "ah, I can still watch that later/tomorrow", especially because it's so long.
onetruetrash
blobfish

flarequake wrote:
onetruetrash wrote:
Really? I don't know how we'd know tbh, though they can find it if they look. All I've seen is those liveshows and when Dan answered those messages he sounded the same as shouting out any group chat, like it was the first he'd heard of the name.
IDB did an April Fools prank and they pretended to make T-shirts for the site and I think Dan and Phil put the fake T-shirts up on their merch site as a prank. I've heard they mentioned the site before, but I don't know where. Dan and Phil also know the Phandom way better than they say, so I'm sure they'd be aware of a whole website dedicated to them.
capybantsa
glabella

Sorry I don't have anything to say about the ls, I don't usually watch them :(
ananas wrote:
I have read the conversation here and find the politics aspect really interesting. I have recently watched a lot of anti-sjw videos, which has opened my eyes to a lot of issues. And no, I'm not conservative, I stand kinda in the middle.
I think these political conversations are really important. I enjoyed the collab and she seems nice. I even subscribed to her because I'm an anime nerd. If she is going to be homophobic in her content, maybe I'll unsubscribe then. Even if some people hold different opinions, such as homophobic views, I don't see how ignoring them and not talking with them is going to help.
I think not all conservatives and Trump-supporters are bad..Media painted a horrible picture of Trump during the election, but still he won. Clearly that tells something. Maybe people wanted change. I disagree with Trump's environmental stance 100%, but I truly hope he is going to be a good president.
The islamophobia issue is kinda controversial and difficult subject. I'm from Finland, and Finland has taken a lot of refugees in. At first I thought it was great and I didn't see the issue. But the refugees have committed rapes (Yeah, I know finnish people also rape people). Also here refugees food and accommodation are paid from our tax money. We have free health care and education, so I feel that money could be used for elderly people or education. I myself have nothing against muslims, most of them are good people. However the terrorist attacks in Sweden, Germany, Paris and Manchester do make me scared when there is going to be an attack here.
Sometimes a few rotten apples take away the benefits from the good ones.
I didn't mean to rant, but I felt like the opinions on this conversation were very one-sided. I don't mean to start fights, but maybe open a conversation. My point was, anybody too radical from left or right are bad. Also, I support the lgbt+ community!
If anybody is interested, Finland may get the first gay president in the next election. Pekka Haavisto, who I believe is married to his partner, was really close to winning the previous election. I heard he is running in the next election as well. I probably will vote for him not because he is gay, but because he belongs to the green party
I agree very much with this! My country is very centrist, and I am centrist myself. The biggest party is center-right, and the second party is center-left, so seeing people say that centrism and conservatism are somehow ignorant and uninformed makes me feel like :?

Extremism in general is quite looked down upon in Japan, and terrorism is taken very seriously here, so we understand the caution regarding immigration and refugees from certain countries. We feel bad for the refugees, but we rejected the majority of them for the same reason we don't have many garbage cans in public: We just don't want to risk it. (All the garbage cans were removed in the 90s over fear caused from a cult terror attack in the subway and they never got put back since ).

The increased crime rate from Islamic immigration and refugees can't be ignored. Maybe Trump's way isn't the right way, maybe Japan's way isn't the right way, but we have to do something to protect our own people. It's a difficult situation with no perfect solution.
cherrybomb3 wrote:
i was content to spend my guilty idb viewing session watching all of the political opinions (bc its incredibly interesting and cool and whatnot), but this sort of caught my eye
please dont take this the wrong way, but i think that watching anti-sjw videos is a rather bad way to educate yourself or just develop your understand of politics. mainly because sjws dont exist, its a term that has been invented by the right to effectively shut down progressivism in the eyes of moderates (like yourself) by framing anyone to the left of pinochet as a crazed and irrational lunatic who wants to murder all men or whatever. the few 'sjws' that do exist are either satirical in their zealotry (eg die cis scum, which reddit - god bless its soul - took literally) or a dysfunctional minority in the great rainbow that is the internet!left
I think it's a great way to educate yourself. How can you understand people if you don't listen to them? You don't have to agree just because you listen, but if you never listen then you can't really disagree either because you have no idea what you're disagreeing with! It's always best to get the opinions straight from the horse's mouth without a third party interference.

I've looked at some SJW videos and anti-SJW videos and it's very evident to me that they are not normal liberals and they are not joking. They are extremists pushing extreme views with the facade of joking or "rights". Maybe their views don't seem so extreme to you because you are very liberal yourself, but as a centrist they are very extreme to me. When I see students protesting on campuses because they want to reinstate racial segregation, that to me is "SJW" and I have a difficult time respecting it.

Being well informed means knowing the what and why from all sides directly from them, not sheltering yourself from certain views.
Sorry if this is too off topic, but many others were discussing it too, so I wanted to give my view.