Dan & Phil Part 46: Some kind of a gay backstory

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie
Pronouns: she/her

Image Image
gif credit

And in case you need a recap, here's what you missed on phan...
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Yay, new video!
SquishPhan
capita£ester

I liked it, but was definitely hoping that Phil would get angry because I would have loved to see it.
Still seeing them work together is always fun for me.
thephandommenace
procrastinator
Pronouns: they/them

So this was super cute

I'd love to be a fly on the wall to witness AngryPhil playing this game...
A-ragingPhil...
I'll work on it

Bit of an emphasis on 'friendship' and 'best friends' in this video
Ilovethemohyesido
living flop

A little off topic but that's actually a great game!
lost686girl
living flop

"if you did it with a friend................that you know casually" nice add-on dan
000dia000
emo goose

You just got the new thread up before the video was put up I'm very impressed
I'm not sure what I think of the video, it wasn't as entertaining as their last Bomb-Disposal video, but I'm not that picky and a video's a video and it was "okay" as far as their content goes.

It was interesting to see how they're breaking down the "softer" aspect of Phil and showcasing his hostile side when it comes to gaming. In the past Dan received a lot of criticism as people felt that he was being mean-spirited towards him, but them expressing how angry and aggressive Phil gets (despite the fact he was on best behavior) really shows that. Furthermore, how they say that casual friends and acquaintances are quite civil in games, while they are family best friends have no problem bickering. Hopefully they are rounding out the shticks they've done in the past (Phil the underdog, all or nothing, etc) and make it more realistic-if Phil is a sore-loser and honestly just not as on-par, skill wise as Dan is with gaming, then I would personally like to see it.

It's interesting to see how they seem to zig-zag between nearly seeming like a "couple", both on their youtuber channel(s) and real life, and yet they come out with a video like this. Test of Friendship. Friendship. Best Friends. Even in the title. We get it, Jesus. I'm not starting anything, especially not trying to incite any hysterics, but just something I noted. It's their usual two steps forward, one step back act.
:cactus:
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

000dia000 wrote:It's interesting to see how they seem to zig-zag between nearly seeming like a "couple", both on their youtuber channel(s) and real life, and yet they come out with a video like this. Test of Friendship. Friendship. Best Friends. Even in the title. We get it, Jesus. I'm not starting anything, especially not trying to incite any hysterics, but just something I noted. It's their usual two steps forward, one step back act.
I think to me it just drives home that they're in a comfortable glass closet now. They will do what they want, say what they want, be as cute as they want, post all the pics and travel together all they want... but in terms of what they are prepared to be held publicly accountable for? Friendship. That's it. They even seem more or less okay with their audience knowing that there's more beyond that - just in the general lack of denials, direct or indirect. But they're only giving us access to whatever lies past that on their terms and this feels almost like it's meant to remind us of that.

So I guess to me it's less of a zig-zag and more of them being comfortable and confident with their boundaries? Mostly just because I feel no insecurity or resentment behind it in this current 2017 era we're living in. It just feels like they've made decisions and they're happy with them.

(Also, obligatory note that best friends/friends + more are not mutually exclusive.)
howadorableright
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

000dia000 wrote:
It's interesting to see how they seem to zig-zag between nearly seeming like a "couple", both on their youtuber channel(s) and real life, and yet they come out with a video like this. Test of Friendship. Friendship. Best Friends. Even in the title. We get it, Jesus. I'm not starting anything, especially not trying to incite any hysterics, but just something I noted. It's their usual two steps forward, one step back act.
Dan said "friend" too many times to count in this video, which seems pretty ironic considering the past week was so "couple-y"
I think as they become more and more comfortable they'll start to slip in different labels here and there like husband. What those labels are, I have no idea, but lately "family" has been coming up a bit so it could be related to that ;)

Also I don't remember Dan saying to ask about March in August, can anyone give any background info?
back back back back again
lost686girl
living flop

makes me wonder if dan and phil think about romance and friendship as two very separate things that must be maintained in a relationship. like romance: cuddling, sexy times, flirting, big life decisions. but friendship: talking things out, spending time together, sharing interests

but it was odd to hear dan talk about playing with family members because the only family he would play with is his brother (right??), and he never brings him up. very interesting
Birdie
blobfish

000dia000 wrote:It's interesting to see how they seem to zig-zag between nearly seeming like a "couple", both on their youtuber channel(s) and real life, and yet they come out with a video like this. Test of Friendship. Friendship. Best Friends. Even in the title. We get it, Jesus. I'm not starting anything, especially not trying to incite any hysterics, but just something I noted. It's their usual two steps forward, one step back act.
Just to add a different interpretation: What if there really isn't more? I still think there's a possibilty that they're "just" really close friends. I put the just in quote thingies because friendships can be way stronger and more personal than romantic relationships for some people. I said something along those lines in the non-shipper-thread earlier already but I feel weird assuming they're definitely together based on them acting "couply" because that's so vague and means different things for different people. I don't have any real opinion on this, I'm just trying to offer a different explanation than "two steps forward, one step back". Maybe this is just their reality. Really really close friends. Maybe the people who think their relationship is queerplatonic are right. Maybe they're together, what do I know. Just saying, this doesn't have to mean what we think it means at all.

I know I'm pretty much alone with this theory these days but I do think it's still a possibilty and I hate to see it dismissed like the "friend talk" is just an act or something. I do think they consider each other family but I also think that doesn't have to be a romantic thing. It might be though. I literally have no idea anymore whilst most of you seem really sure.
Last edited by Birdie on Thu May 18, 2017 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
onetruetrash
blobfish

mesmericphilip wrote:Also I don't remember Dan saying to ask about March in August, can anyone give any background info?
In one of his liveshows in April, he said to the audience to "ask about that one week in March" in August. He also said in his most recent liveshow that he was really stressed in March.
howadorableright
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

onetruetrash wrote:
mesmericphilip wrote:Also I don't remember Dan saying to ask about March in August, can anyone give any background info?
In one of his liveshows in April, he said to the audience to "ask about that one week in March" in August. He also said in his most recent liveshow that he was really stressed in March.
I wonder if he specifically meant August or if he was just saying it as a random time in the future
back back back back again
malday
emo goose

000dia000 wrote: It's interesting to see how they seem to zig-zag between nearly seeming like a "couple", both on their youtuber channel(s) and real life, and yet they come out with a video like this. Test of Friendship. Friendship. Best Friends. Even in the title. We get it, Jesus. I'm not starting anything, especially not trying to incite any hysterics, but just something I noted. It's their usual two steps forward, one step back act.
I think they consider their youtube audience and the people who follow them on twitter/instagram and watch their liveshows differently.
They probably assume the people who follow them outside of youtube are more invested and know more about their personal lives, so they present things more truthfully? (Dan didn't even mention whose house it was Phil got locked out of, it's understood that the stans know).

While the youtube audience has more casuals that probably don't care as much and for which they maintain the friendship branding.
Ilovethemohyesido
living flop

Though they mention that you can only play with a best friend or family without caring saying mean tuings, and they didn't mention boyfriend/girlfriend he and Phil think it's perfectly ok to bant, mock, etc your significant other. I remember a Sim episode where they made Tabitha boo Dil and Dan said «if you can't banter with your boyfriend» or something to that idea. I mention this because while they brought up the friendship thing quite a lot, they probably didn't mention another kind of relationship to not make the video's comments about Dan or Phil mentioning «boyfriend»
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

Leave it to Phan to bless us with all kinds of cute newlywed-esque shit in Florida and then post a video where they repeat the word friendship more than in My Little Pony.

That was a cute video though. Like I've said before, seeing Dan and Phil work together to solve things is my shit. It's fascinating to see. Though a little more when a game doesn't make Phil want to throw controllers around the room. I'm a little bit disappointed we didn't get to see rage!Phil because Dan sounded shook and that after all these years. I'm intrigued.

Back to the Florida chronicles: I remember a tweet from Dan about him looking after Phil's Manchester flat (so before they lived together) in 2011 while he was in Florida and now it's 2017 and we're living in a time where Dan is holidaying it up on the annual Lester Florida trip before he returns with Phil to the UK to go to their new shared home. A bitch is crying on the bottom of the trashcan and it's me.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
loonyradish
living flop

I liked the new video; however, it was much less "couple-y" (stealing that term from you, mesmeric :D ) than the bomb one, which was kinda confusing for me, but as dia said, it's probably just their "two steps forward, one step back"-behaviour.
Funnily I found this game much more stressful to watch than the one before, every time the egg broke I got so annoyed (totally can relate to Phil getting angry at this game).
Oh, and it has been said before, but I also liked Dan mentioning Phil getting furious sometimes. I feel like Dan tells us much more about himself, while all we see of Phil is the perfect sunshine surface he wants us to see. Maybe it's time to share some more "negative" aspects, too? I can only speak for myself, but I would only like him more, I guess. This always-nice-and-needs-to-be-protected-stuff is a bit implausible, I mean, everyone has good and less good characteristics, and that's what makes us human:3 Not meant to be rude or anything, I hope it didn't sound that way!
Now that I think about it, that might be why I liked Dan's videos more in the beginning - he was more open about himself, while Phil talks a lot about more impersonal stuff and shows less of his feelings.
Birdie
blobfish

(I can spell possibility even though I fucked it up twice in my other post, just saying)

I loved the video. I did really want to see rage-Phil but since they just unlocked the new mini games maybe they'll return to the game and we get to see Phil throw a controller in Dan's general direction after all! There were quite a few great exclamations in the video too that will probably sound amazing when you quote them out of context. Can't wait for the time stamps. :D Also the faces on those characters are really disturbing. Why do they look so mean?
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

I think I'm already at peak level of exhausted on the 'saying they're friends is a step backward' argument so here are a few other things I liked about the video:

- Dan giving us more insight into Phil than Phil himself does; definitely true. But I also kind of get it. Phil seems hard wired to want to be liked by everyone, to do nothing but make other people's days better (via video/youtube personality), to be non-threatening and pleasant. Dan gets some kind of catharsis out of being open and being validated for his emotional states; I don't believe that Phil does. I think the idea of talking more openly just makes Phil more anxious, instead of giving him some kind of relief. But I do think that if Dan is giving us this kind of insight then he's doing so with Phil's permission, both the casual comments about games making Phil angry and even going back a couple months him talking more and more about Phil's own type of anxiety.

- Cooperative gameplay. Dan acknowledging that Phil isn't as good as he is at some things, and mocking Phil incessantly for it, but on the same note relying on Phil's input, encouraging Phil and praising Phil when he does get something right.

- Dan coming off as super proud about their cooperative gameplay. He just seems happy to be able to report back to us how Phil is when Phil plays games, relaying to us how Phil reacted to things before with crinkly-eyed laughter/fondness.

- Us seeing Phil genuinely try, even if he doesn't actually play super well. I'd rather take this over Phil commentating while Dan solely controls a game any day.

- Innuendo without either of them batting an eyelash. You can see the occasional laugh or snicker if one of them says something that catches the other off guard, but they're not overly exaggerating any responses to anything. They've desensitized us but I think they've desensitized themselves as well, which means a more natural humor dynamic can peek out.
lurker
janice from the shop

my prayers for another co-op game have been answered...dan and phil if you're reading this...keep up the good work...

i actually don't think i can judge this one objectively because i'm literally so weak for anything that has them working together. TEACH ME DAD -- dan and phil play: we open tin cans together for 45 minutes i'll still say that it was a good one, though. i thought the gameplay itself was really satisfying to watch and the #bants about phil's gaming rage was funny.

i'd have to rewatch for timestamps, but does anyone know from the back of their minds what dan was mouthing at the camera after phil said not to paint him in such a bad light? i couldn't catch it.

without wanting to dismiss anyone's opinions on the friends mentions: apart from any other speculation on deppy's relationship, we know that they are best friends, so it's just...a true statement i don't really get the impression that they intentionally use it to convey any message to us, it seems just to be what they're comfortable to address each other on screen?

besides that, i thought dan's quick glance at phil after "...or family" was cute. it was probably unintentional, but...cute in the light of the holiday photos, especially.
thank's you were great
malday
emo goose

what rage, there was no rage. ragebaiting!
loonyradish
living flop

lurker wrote::stan:
my prayers for another co-op game have been answered...dan and phil if you're reading this...keep up the good work...

i actually don't think i can judge this one objectively because i'm literally so weak for anything that has them working together. TEACH ME DAD -- dan and phil play: we open tin cans together for 45 minutes i'll still say that it was a good one, though. i thought the gameplay itself was really satisfying to watch and the #bants about phil's gaming rage was funny.

i'd have to rewatch for timestamps, but does anyone know from the back of their minds what dan was mouthing at the camera after phil said not to paint him in such a bad light? i couldn't catch it.

without wanting to dismiss anyone's opinions on the friends mentions: apart from any other speculation on deppy's relationship, we know that they are best friends, so it's just...a true statement i don't really get the impression that they intentionally use it to convey any message to us, it seems just to be what they're comfortable to address each other on screen?

besides that, i thought dan's quick glance at phil after "...or family" was cute. it was probably unintentional, but...cute in the light of the holiday photos, especially
Same! Both the "best friend" and the "family" matches them, I think. And maybe that's how they feel about each other? Because of course they are best friends, whether in a romantic relationship or not. But if you live with someone for 8 years and be as close as D&P are, aren't you also family? Isn't that what defines "family" - always being there for each other, no matter what, over a really long period of time, and planning the future together?
Philena
blobfish

lurker, pretty sure Dan just mouthed, "It's true."

They have been throwing around the family label a bit lately

Loved the video! I was actually kind of shocked that he exposed Phil's rage like that... wish it could have come out to play for real.

I also was kind of shocked that they were both spotted in FL again (and in that cat monstrosity, no less). They look great. And happy. And great. I don't even feel the need to read phanfic anymore. Okay, so that's a lie, but ykwim.

So cute!
Last edited by Philena on Thu May 18, 2017 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
saffarinda
truth bomb

phils true anger is revealed. always love team working videos, i kinda wish it was a tad longer but i'm still happy with it.

they could have just been bringing in groceries for phil's family who may still be staying there - but i'm pretty sure dans cat t-shirt pic wasn't taken today. just something is telling me it's not idk. a video is a good distraction to avoid airport fans though, good idea lads

edit: oops posted this before the florida selfie with the fan.

i agree completely about dan's videos and emotions being much more open, whilst phil just portrays happiness and a more neutral outlook all of the time. i think we see much more genuine phil in dapg videos compared to main channel vids, and probably the most genuine phil in the backgrounds of vlogs when he doesn't realise he's being filmed (is it just me that notices how phil always seems to gaze over the whole room a lot in other youtubers vlogs. i find it interesting that he's just constantly observing, don't fancy psychoanalysing that though aha)
Last edited by saffarinda on Thu May 18, 2017 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
25/04/2017 - #blessed
VengefulBlue
rainbow nerd

so happy i saved the video for after i finished my reading: it's great and made me feel better!

it looks like a genuinely fun game and i like phil participating instead of just commentating. i would love if they played more coops, it's so nice.

rage!Phil: maybe he reacts more strongly to negative emotions, and he doesn't want to be scary to people. it would explain both the 'no don't make me look bad' kind of thing, and how his funny/happy stories sometimes feel fake, like he's exaggerating his reactions. obviously overreacting is a part of yt though, so . i would like more open phil, but he seems to like presenting only his best parts, and i'm cool with that too.

"friends": "or family members" /glances at phil/