Dan & Phil Part 46: Some kind of a gay backstory

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie
Pronouns: she/her

Timestamps for Phil's ls today.

:50 - Phil sees Liam Payne's face.
1:11 - Jetlag where it's hard to sleep at night, hard to get up in the morning.
1:46 - He's been waking up dehydrated. Withered cactus Phil.
2:28 - Misspeak (frolicking, not flourishing) - he'd be worried if his houseplants were frolicking.
3:00 - Lays out the Florida trip: Playlist first
3:26 - He was anxious about falling off the stage since he did that once before.
3:41 - Phil butt-shaped dent in the floor.
4:12 - Playlist hotel didn't have room service pancakes or waffles. "It was a whole thing. I had the shakes. I had the pancake shakes."
4:45 - Phil likes a good bit of cinnamon. "In the right context." Then grins. Phil, what body part of Dan's was sacrificed for you to come to conclusions about what the wrong context was?
5:14 - Talks about Dan's Bahamas video.
5:20 - Misspeaks again, blames the jetlag.
5:46 - Confirms that Dan made him go first at immigration.
6:15 - He seems very proud about making the immigration agent snort laugh.
6:43 - "I can just see this sweating, pale Dan getting - it looked like he was getting shouted at by this border security person."
7:06 - Squeaky voice when he imitates Dan saying, "She didn't let me stay."
7:33 - He had a pleasant day. Filmed a collab. Pleasantly (something?) around Potter world, while Dan was not enjoying the sun in the Bahamas.
8:00 - Says "I was trying to think of the light at the end of the tunnel." It sounds like the tactic he used to calm/comfort Dan was to tell him that it would make a good video.
8:07 - "Life experiences lead you to have stories."
8:20 - Phil's heat wave dance. ("Why did I do that?")
8:55 - Phil is a twenty three degrees kinda guy.
9:11 - Freckles. Frecks. His frecks are out.
9:35 - Googles what a freckle is.
10:05 - Phil wonders why he keeps talking about birth.
10:16 - He had freckles on his face and forehead as a kid. If you blurred your eyes, he was orange.
10:50 - Muse "Dig Down" opinion.
11:33 - They almost went to see Muse in Orlando.
13:30 - He did GCSE art but it's all gone now.
13:37 - His dad is an artist, he just didn't pass it down to Phil.
14:00 - Chat froze.
14:12 - Florida souvenir haul.
14:28 - "Dan bought so much Kennedy merch."
14:35 - Space ship bottle opener.
14:50 - Patch. He loves the graphic design.
15:08 - He got an awesome mug. The awesome mug is broken.
15:40 - He will just share Dan's. Naturally.
16:31 - Sweet Baby Ray's bbq sauce.
16:41 - Expedition to Bath and Body Works. Phil is one step closer to beauty/lifestyle vlogging. Give in to the urge, Phil. It's what the people want.
17:58 - He watched Split on the plane, didn't fully enjoy it. Watched The Accountant, fell asleep watching it. Passengers, maybe on this flight, maybe not. He was very sleepy.
18:47 - Altitude made him cry during Lion.
19:06 - He flew back on his own, almost got put in the "friends" booth with a strange French woman.
20:30 - He would not liked his arm touching the French woman's arm while watching movies.
20:50 - Miami. He stayed by the beach. Very beachy and neon, he liked the vibe.
21:13 - "Clean us daddy."
21:36 - Went on an airboat ride.
22:24 - Returned to the place the squirrel attacked him.
22:51 - I'm personally offended and disturbed by Phil giving the squirrel a creepy southern accent.
23:03 - I Am Bread is on the list in his brain.
23:18 - He'd say it's a good day, but he's feeling spacey.
23:30 - ASMR
23:50 - Deep thoughts about color blindness and what do other people see when they look at the color red.
24:10 - Story about Phil being locked outside and Dan not letting him back in. Paperboy laughed at him.
25:04 - Phil is getting sweat head. "At least I'm honest."
25:24 - Predicting Dan's future video. Phil is very proud of pulling off a prank on Dan.
26:26 - He hasn't watched Voltron. He's watching Attack on Titan, new Steven Universe.
27:01 - Mentions collab with Shawna/nanalew. The one on his channel will probably go up Wednesday. Also anime themed, different kind of video.
27:40 - Talks about the newest Sims video.
28:08 - "I think we've got enough with one child at the moment." Then laughs.
28:14 - He geeked out at NASA. ("Headline: I love space.") Intensive tour of the launch pads, he loved every minute. Got to see the space ship Atlantis. Martyn had a little cry.
29:20 - Superman ice cream led to google odyssey.
29:50 - Kayaking story. from when he was younger, explaining why he doesn't trust his brother in a kayak. 'Whenever you get my brother behind any kind of vehicle where he's in charge of what's happening to me, he turns into such a troll. He was driving into other people's kayaks, driving into the wall. We ended up both falling into a lake."
30:50 - He is hyped to go to Vidcon and see some of his American pals.
31:47 - Percy Pigs.
32:06 - Reading something on his laptop; claims his laptop is being weird, then immediately jumps into random topic about a conversation he was having with Dan yesterday.
32:18 - Asks about what noise people's primary school classmates made when someone got in trouble. Linguistics nerd Phil rise?
32:55 - "Thoughts of miles north... probably more like three hundred." Cute reference to distance between where he's from and where Dan's from.
35:09 - Eurovision, forced family to watch it. Phil also made everyone vote on the winning act. He loves setting up game type things with groups, doesn't he?
37:11 - He could not handle himself in a prank war.
37:17 - "I got - he got - I got pranked straight back again." wait what
37:28 - Snake story.
37:49 - Mums watch Dil. "It's a thing to watch with other people who watch us."
38:50 - Riverdale opinions.
39:15 - He was not into Archie playing music.
39:40 - He is going to go back into his burrow and eat snacks.
40:00 - Might have more Sunday liveshows. His month next month is weird, he's doing things most Thursdays. Does not promise regular liveshows. Loose.
40:31 - Guides people to subscribe for the newsletter. That smooth, sweet #spon.
42:14 - More jumbled words. He is rivaling Dan with the misspeaking in this liveshow.
echinodon
smol bean

capybantsa wrote: Being well informed means knowing the what and why from all sides directly from them, not sheltering yourself from certain views.

Couldn't agree more
adequate duck
cheeky #spon
Pronouns: she/they

echinodon wrote:
capybantsa wrote: Being well informed means knowing the what and why from all sides directly from them, not sheltering yourself from certain views.

Couldn't agree more
on the other hand, when one side is well thought out arguments and facts, and the other is frothing conspiracy theorists, i don't have time to give each side equal consideration. and to be honest, up until now, 98% of the anti-sjw videos/articles i've seen are far more the latter than the former. don't confuse them with conservatives, because although there is some overlap, anti-sjws just seem to be mostly concerned that they can't be bigoted assholes without getting called out and getting their feelings hurt, rather than well thought out points about why we should lower taxes, ban same-gender marriage, and cut minimum-wage (i'm still not buying the actual conservative points, to me it seems it's just so rich people can get richer and nobody has to explain "the gays" to their kids, but at least it seems to be their own agenda, rather than reacting to something else)
"don't respect any ducks" - phil lester
fancy_nancy
phabergé

onetruetrash wrote:
flarequake wrote:
onetruetrash wrote:
flarequake wrote:Dan's been asked to "waddup to In Depth Bants" a few times and has done, but hasn't sounded like he's heard of it.
What do you mean? Deppy have heard of IDB.
Really? I don't know how we'd know tbh, though they can find it if they look. All I've seen is those liveshows and when Dan answered those messages he sounded the same as shouting out any group chat, like it was the first he'd heard of the name.
IDB did an April Fools prank and they pretended to make T-shirts for the site and I think Dan and Phil put the fake T-shirts up on their merch site as a prank. I've heard they mentioned the site before, but I don't know where. Dan and Phil also know the Phandom way better than they say, so I'm sure they'd be aware of a whole website dedicated to them.
Really? I don't remember any of this happening but I might be out of the loop hahah can someone provide proof they've mentioned IDB other than Dan reading a shout out in his liveshow?
capybantsa
glabella
Pronouns: he/him

I really appreciate those timestamps
adequate duck wrote:
echinodon wrote:

Couldn't agree more
on the other hand, when one side is well thought out arguments and facts, and the other is frothing conspiracy theorists, i don't have time to give each side equal consideration. and to be honest, up until now, 98% of the anti-sjw videos/articles i've seen are far more the latter than the former. don't confuse them with conservatives, because although there is some overlap, anti-sjws just seem to be mostly concerned that they can't be bigoted assholes without getting called out and getting their feelings hurt, rather than well thought out points about why we should lower taxes, ban same-gender marriage, and cut minimum-wage (i'm still not buying the actual conservative points, to me it seems it's just so rich people can get richer and nobody has to explain "the gays" to their kids, but at least it seems to be their own agenda, rather than reacting to something else)
Most of the popular anti-SJWs I can find seem to be centrist or liberal/progressive, but even if some of them are the way you describe, I still think it's important to try to understand why they think what they think without assuming the reasons. Bigots exist on both sides of the political spectrum, and none of them are born in a vacuum.
captainspacecoat
stress mushroom

fancy_nancy wrote:
onetruetrash wrote:
IDB did an April Fools prank and they pretended to make T-shirts for the site and I think Dan and Phil put the fake T-shirts up on their merch site as a prank. I've heard they mentioned the site before, but I don't know where. Dan and Phil also know the Phandom way better than they say, so I'm sure they'd be aware of a whole website dedicated to them.
Really? I don't remember any of this happening but I might be out of the loop hahah can someone provide proof they've mentioned IDB other than Dan reading a shout out in his liveshow?
I think there might have been a bit of a misunderstanding - as far as I'm aware Dan and Phil never put the fake T-shirts up on their merch site, or even were aware of them. IDB did have a banner up for April Fools pretending to sell merch, but I think that's as far as the prank went - Dan and Phil never acknowledged it. I'm pretty sure that the only time either of them has ever mentioned IDB was once or twice in live shows when people have sent in premium messages asking them to "say howdy to indepthbants" etc. I may be wrong though, maybe I just blanked out April Fools Day this year and that actually did happen!

Also thanks dizzy for the timestamps, not sure when I'll have time to watch so they were very helpful!
jesuisunèléve
phabergé

alittledizzy wrote:Timestamps for Phil's ls today.

:50 - Phil sees Liam Payne's face.
1:11 - Jetlag where it's hard to sleep at night, hard to get up in the morning.
1:46 - He's been waking up dehydrated. Withered cactus Phil.
2:28 - Misspeak (frolicking, not flourishing) - he'd be worried if his houseplants were frolicking.
3:00 - Lays out the Florida trip: Playlist first
3:26 - He was anxious about falling off the stage since he did that once before.
3:41 - Phil butt-shaped dent in the floor.
4:12 - Playlist hotel didn't have room service pancakes or waffles. "It was a whole thing. I had the shakes. I had the pancake shakes."
4:45 - Phil likes a good bit of cinnamon. "In the right context." Then grins. Phil, what body part of Dan's was sacrificed for you to come to conclusions about what the wrong context was?
5:14 - Talks about Dan's Bahamas video.
5:20 - Misspeaks again, blames the jetlag.
5:46 - Confirms that Dan made him go first at immigration.
6:15 - He seems very proud about making the immigration agent snort laugh.
6:43 - "I can just see this sweating, pale Dan getting - it looked like he was getting shouted at by this border security person."
7:06 - Squeaky voice when he imitates Dan saying, "She didn't let me stay."
7:33 - He had a pleasant day. Filmed a collab. Pleasantly (something?) around Potter world, while Dan was not enjoying the sun in the Bahamas.
8:00 - Says "I was trying to think of the light at the end of the tunnel." It sounds like the tactic he used to calm/comfort Dan was to tell him that it would make a good video.
8:07 - "Life experiences lead you to have stories."
8:20 - Phil's heat wave dance. ("Why did I do that?")
8:55 - Phil is a twenty three degrees kinda guy.
9:11 - Freckles. Frecks. His frecks are out.
9:35 - Googles what a freckle is.
10:05 - Phil wonders why he keeps talking about birth.
10:16 - He had freckles on his face and forehead as a kid. If you blurred your eyes, he was orange.
10:50 - Muse "Dig Down" opinion.
11:33 - They almost went to see Muse in Orlando.
13:30 - He did GCSE art but it's all gone now.
13:37 - His dad is an artist, he just didn't pass it down to Phil.
14:00 - Chat froze.
14:12 - Florida souvenir haul.
14:28 - "Dan bought so much Kennedy merch."
14:35 - Space ship bottle opener.
14:50 - Patch. He loves the graphic design.
15:08 - He got an awesome mug. The awesome mug is broken.
15:40 - He will just share Dan's. Naturally.
16:31 - Sweet Baby Ray's bbq sauce.
16:41 - Expedition to Bath and Body Works. Phil is one step closer to beauty/lifestyle vlogging. Give in to the urge, Phil. It's what the people want.
17:58 - He watched Split on the plane, didn't fully enjoy it. Watched The Accountant, fell asleep watching it. Passengers, maybe on this flight, maybe not. He was very sleepy.
18:47 - Altitude made him cry during Lion.
19:06 - He flew back on his own, almost got put in the "friends" booth with a strange French woman.
20:30 - He would not liked his arm touching the French woman's arm while watching movies.
20:50 - Miami. He stayed by the beach. Very beachy and neon, he liked the vibe.
21:13 - "Clean us daddy."
21:36 - Went on an airboat ride.
22:24 - Returned to the place the squirrel attacked him.
22:51 - I'm personally offended and disturbed by Phil giving the squirrel a creepy southern accent.
23:03 - I Am Bread is on the list in his brain.
23:18 - He'd say it's a good day, but he's feeling spacey.
23:30 - ASMR
23:50 - Deep thoughts about color blindness and what do other people see when they look at the color red.
24:10 - Story about Phil being locked outside and Dan not letting him back in. Paperboy laughed at him.
25:04 - Phil is getting sweat head. "At least I'm honest."
25:24 - Predicting Dan's future video. Phil is very proud of pulling off a prank on Dan.
26:26 - He hasn't watched Voltron. He's watching Attack on Titan, new Steven Universe.
27:01 - Mentions collab with Shawna/nanalew. The one on his channel will probably go up Wednesday. Also anime themed, different kind of video.
27:40 - Talks about the newest Sims video.
28:08 - "I think we've got enough with one child at the moment." Then laughs.
28:14 - He geeked out at NASA. ("Headline: I love space.") Intensive tour of the launch pads, he loved every minute. Got to see the space ship Atlantis. Martyn had a little cry.
29:20 - Superman ice cream led to google odyssey.
29:50 - Kayaking story. from when he was younger, explaining why he doesn't trust his brother in a kayak. 'Whenever you get my brother behind any kind of vehicle where he's in charge of what's happening to me, he turns into such a troll. He was driving into other people's kayaks, driving into the wall. We ended up both falling into a lake."
30:50 - He is hyped to go to Vidcon and see some of his American pals.
31:47 - Percy Pigs.
32:06 - Reading something on his laptop; claims his laptop is being weird, then immediately jumps into random topic about a conversation he was having with Dan yesterday.
32:18 - Asks about what noise people's primary school classmates made when someone got in trouble. Linguistics nerd Phil rise?
32:55 - "Thoughts of miles north... probably more like three hundred." Cute reference to distance between where he's from and where Dan's from.
35:09 - Eurovision, forced family to watch it. Phil also made everyone vote on the winning act. He loves setting up game type things with groups, doesn't he?
37:11 - He could not handle himself in a prank war.
37:17 - "I got - he got - I got pranked straight back again." wait what
37:28 - Snake story.
37:49 - Mums watch Dil. "It's a thing to watch with other people who watch us."
38:50 - Riverdale opinions.
39:15 - He was not into Archie playing music.
39:40 - He is going to go back into his burrow and eat snacks.
40:00 - Might have more Sunday liveshows. His month next month is weird, he's doing things most Thursdays. Does not promise regular liveshows. Loose.
40:31 - Guides people to subscribe for the newsletter. That smooth, sweet #spon.
42:14 - More jumbled words. He is rivaling Dan with the misspeaking in this liveshow.
I am still waiting for the day when they release their own palette and join in with all the beauty bloggers and the drama that surrounds some of them. The don't have to go big to start out with, maybe a contour palette? Or a space-themed eye shadow palette? Pancake flavored lip balm?
squishydanny
crusty sponge

so for some reason when i try to put the images directly on here using the Img button, it is showing up as a broken photo. idk if im doing it wrong or the formatting changed but could someone fix that for me if im just being dumb lol. anyway, here's all i could tell from the reflection off the mug. not much you can see- i took a few screenshots but for the most part the light reflecting off the mug made the surroundings pretty much indecipherable. thought i'd give it a go anyway. as you can see the set up is pretty similar to the old london apartment, seeing as the couch is against the wall that the doorway is also located. definitely not the best sleuth on here so maybe someone else could try and figure more out..just thought i'd post what i found seeing that no one has posted screenshots yet! :)
Last edited by jesp on Mon May 29, 2017 5:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: embedded images
jesp
why bother

squishydanny wrote:so for some reason when i try to put the images directly on here using the Img button, it is showing up as a broken photo. idk if im doing it wrong or the formatting changed but could someone fix that for me if im just being dumb lol.
You need the direct link to the image. For your imgur links, you can just put .jpg at the end of the url. If you're having problems in the future, you can report the post and ask for it to be fixed, too.
fancybum
senpai

Dan and Misc Watch 2017
JETLAG (May 28, 2017)

Prompted Dan Mention
5:10 (chat) Talk about Dan’s Bahamas
“Oh yes, so that was a thing. Have you seen Dan’s video?”
“From my side of the fence, I had quite a nice time going through immigration.”
"[“mum-looking” lady and intimidating bald man awaited them] and Dan was like, ‘Phil you go first’"
Phil just charmed the intimidating bald man who knew all about YT: “we were properly banting about it. I made him actually snort-laugh at one point”
6:40 “So I just breezed through. I look over and I can just see this sweating, pale Dan getting- it looked like he was being shouted at by this border security person”
7:35 “So I had a pleasant day, filmed a collab video, pleasantly pootled around Potter World, while Dan [was in the Bahamas]”
-ah so he wasn’t lurking offscreen for the Nanalew collab then

19:04 (reads from chat) “Did you fly back with D—“ “No, I didn’t, I flew back on my own”
-idk if he actually cut off, or if it was just lag, but we’ll give it a .5

24:10 (chat) Dan locked you outside
“He did! Well, no, he didn’t lock me outside. I was outside, he just didn’t let me back in again. Locked myself out.”
Paperboy laughed at him.
(chat) You should’ve thrown the newspaper back at him
“He wasn’t delivering one to us, otherwise I would.”

35:20 RE: forcing his family to watch Eurovision
(chat) What about Dan?
“Well I didn’t force Dan to watch it, he loves Eurovision, so I just forced my family to watch it."

35:30 (chat) You and Dan inspire me
“Thanks, that’s good to hear."
Unprompted Dan Mention
14:10 NASA Haul
“Dan bought so much Kennedy [Space Center] merch, I don’t know if he’s gonna show you that at some point”
-cliffhanger for Tues sooo I think he DOES KNOW Dan’s going to show us at some point, we’re onto your game here

15:40 (showing off his broken NASA mug) “Dan got one too, so I’m gonna have to share his I guess, if his is still alive”
-I mean… they have lots of mugs (some might say: too many), not sure they have to resort to sharing that one, but ok

32:15 “I was talking to Dan- today? or was it yesterday?- [about school noises idk]”
-I barely understand what he’s talking about as I’ve successfully repressed about 99% of all school memories so I don’t know if that was a thing here or not, all I do know is that I don't care
Neutral Dan Mention
3:10 “[at Playlist], me and Dan did an extravaganza kickoff show”
-wow bad grammar and everybody just let it happen and moved on, can this happen in Dan’s shows too thx

25:20 (chat) I loved the Predicting Future video
“I know! I did a prank! I’m so bad at pranking. Did you like my banana prank? I tried so hard. I actually thought of that just about 10 minutes before I filmed the video.”
“Then I just looked at a banana and this evil scheme came into my head, I don’t know where it came from, I just started scheming and I was thinking, 'I could totally prank Dan with this banana’. The hardest thing was keeping a straight face, ‘cause I’m so bad at not laughing, so I was just not even thinking about it”
-I’m also not thinking about anything, and neither are you. Nobody is thinking about it.

37:00 “Melody liked my banana prank on Dan, thank you very much. I don’t think he’s gonna start a prank war, because I don’t think I’d be able to handle myself in a prank war. But it was a good early prank, you know. It was an innocent little prank. I got pranked straight back again [with the ‘locked outside’ thing]”
-these mad pranksters. I’m still not thinking about it, nobody is thinking about it.

40:35 danandphilshop newsletter coming soon to announce plushie contest winners. Go sign up to get newsletters “written by Dan and I”
-bad grammar strikes again, but oh god why am I pointing it out, I am become death
Miscellaneous
01:00 Jetlagged so he “may go off on some tangents, I’m feeling a little bit spacey”, "the kind of jetlag where it’s really hard to sleep at night and then in the morning you feel like you’re being ripped out of the womb”

8:20-25 *does a little heat wave dance* “Why did I do that?"
"So it’s hot and a bit sweaty in the evenings”
-noice. but wait, uh, use the air conditioning? that they now have? in this apt? yes?

9:20 freckle talk. “Where do freckles go? Are they always under the skin in the same places forever? Or do they like birth out of your arm when they go under the sun?” *googles*
-2 birthing references not even 10 minutes in. wyd.

11:30 “We were quite close to going to see Muse, actually. We were planning on maybe going to the Orlando show, but it didn’t work out unfortunately. We could’ve seen Matt Bellamy again. But it was an outdoor arena show; we wanted to see the Drones tour and all of the effects, but then we watched an interview with Matt Bellamy [and no effects were going to happen], and I was like, ‘That’s not the same, that’s not what I wanted to see’ so in the end, we didn’t do it.”
-why is this the cutest shit, fuck off

13:20 got “loads of amazing art” at Playlist. “It was some good art, so talented. Unlike me. I did GCSE Art, so I like to think I can do a bit of art, but then when I try it’s like, ‘nope, this is all gone now’. Though my dad is an artist, he just didn’t pass it down to me, sadly, not as much” or maybe in a different sense that isn’t drawing. “When it comes to drawing people, I’m terrible"
-I’m sorry, since when is his dad an artist? Is this a thing I’ve not absorbed over the years? I want him to say more?

16:40 builds up a candle haul from Bath & Body Works. does not deliver a candle haul. candletease. :sideeye:

19:08 flying back home alone, he got sat in a booth thing “which is only good for 2 people that know each other, like if you’re friends or something. But I got sat in this middle booth, which is meant for friends, and I was sat next to a French lady [who didn’t want to sit next to him either]” and awkwardness ensued until they switched seats around. Phil no parlo French.

20:50 (chat) Talk about Miami
“Yes, I went to Miami, and that was fun. I stayed by the beach.”
(chat) What else did you do in Florida?
21:35 “I went on an airboat ride again"
“This time, we got to see some little baby hatchling gators"

21:12 (chat) Clean us daddy
"This cannot be a thing! ‘Clean us daddy’. It cannot. I don’t have the wipes.” *uses shopping bag as a wipe instead* “There you go, you’re nice and clean now. Yeah? That’s good."
-this looks disgusting in print but I laugh every time. This can be a thing.

23:38 (about ASMR vid) “I found the whole thing very enlightening. I think it’s weird, but I’m also really interested in how it affects people because it’s just one of those things I don’t have."

27:00 “I made a video collab with Shawna aka Nanalew, my old friend. It’s on her channel.”
“I made one with her that [might go up Wednesday on AP], it’s also anime-themed, but it’s a different kind of video”
-I’m going to guess he created a game around anime plots or something like the states video with Hazel. But I stg if he titles it British Boy and Canadian Girl [Do Something] I’ll… sigh a little. And I'll mean it.

28:35 “My brother had a little cry when he saw Atlantis [at the space centre], ‘cause that’s the one, if you google Atlantis, that’s like the spaceship of my childhood, that’s the one I used to draw. So to see it in real life was really special.”
-some more of the SWEETEST SHIT FUCK OFF

29:50 “I went kayaking with my brother [when they were younger], and whenever you get my brother behind some kind of vehicle where he’s in charge of what’s happening to me, he turns into such a troll. He was driving into other peoples’ kayaks, driving into the wall, and we ended up both falling into a lake.” “I will not trust my brother in a kayak again.”

30:36 (chat) You look so beautiful today
“Stop it! Don’t be so kind.”

38:10 “Why is everybody getting dogs? I swear 3 people on my FB got dogs yesterday. Was it National Get A Dog Yesterday Day?”
-#CongratsOnLeavingFloridaPhilNowGetADog
Phinal Tally: said ‘Dan’ 17.5 times
~17.5/44mins = 0.39 per min

I'm finally caught up: I watched the Anime collab and I honestly found it really relaxing. I think I can count the number of animes I’ve watched on one hand so the subject matter isn’t entirely #relatable to me but I love this Phil. He’s relaxed and talking about something he’s interested in with somebody who isn’t Dan (and like, I love him doing the same thing with Dan, but Dan talks over him so much that he tends to get cut off and overshadowed)- it’s just NICE to see a calmer dynamic with a different person without the ‘we don’t know each other well and this is slightly awkward’ tension of other collabs, it was just pleasant and chill and at no point did I want to claw my face off. I won’t be sitting the next two out, I'll be enjoying Phil being lovely while another person is also on screen. Kind of like how I watch every video he's in with Cat, the most aggressively boring person alive who is not my cup of tea.

All that said though, I’d like to see this exact video but with him and PJ instead (and maybe talking about video games or something). Is PJ going to Vidcon? They’re all overdue for doing things together for my viewing consumption.
Thanks and have a great day! Oil me
bantstrash
delia smith

Aw at Martyn for crying. I also spontaneously cried when I saw Atlantis so I'm glad I'm not the only one who cried there
missemma
#teamshavedsides
#teamshavedsides

onetruetrash wrote:
flarequake wrote:
onetruetrash wrote:
flarequake wrote:Dan's been asked to "waddup to In Depth Bants" a few times and has done, but hasn't sounded like he's heard of it.
Really? I don't know how we'd know tbh, though they can find it if they look. All I've seen is those liveshows and when Dan answered those messages he sounded the same as shouting out any group chat, like it was the first he'd heard of the name.
Dan and Phil didn't put the tshirts on their site as a prank - I just love photoshop
The only time IDB has ever had a shout out is when Human sent a premium message to Dan in a liveshow, he read the premium and gave the shout out!
:prideheart: :gayaf: :prideheart:
saffarinda
truth bomb

Catallena wrote:
lurker wrote:
The_Blonde wrote:
lurker wrote:could someone who knows what noise phil was referring to explain to me what he was talking about? did he mean that the kids in class would all do that simultaneously...? when someone would answer incorrectly to a teacher's question...? because that sounds really uncanny (and intimidating tbh) to me, but i'm not sure if i got it right. i'm interested in what it means now though.
It does sound pretty uncanny and Children of the Corn-ish! I can only speak from my Welsh school experience, but it wasn't so much when someone answered incorrectly but more when someone did something outright naughty or that was gonna get them a detention or something. Like signalling the teacher that something bad had happened. (I did work experience in a primary school [so ages 4-11] as a teen and remember a class doing it when one kid poured paint all over another kid's work). If that makes sense! It never was a thing past primary school though.
thanks for the explanation! that definitely wasn't a thing in my schools -- i guess there was more of an atmosphere where it'd be really looked down on anyone bringing the teacher's attention to it. so it still sounds really unfamiliar to me. huh. interesting though indeed, i'd like to see that study on where children make that noise and what it sounds like. maybe a map with audio data.
first the bowling rails and bumpers and now this, thanks idb for educating me on this weekend.
It sounds uncomfortable to me as well. In my school in most cases you'd get punished alongside whoever did something 'bad' because you snitched lol. I think culturally for me it's seen as sign of having a bad personality or something. Well, at least for children anyway... adults snitch all the time.
It's not snitching on people! It was more if the teacher found someone doing something wrong everyone would collectively make the noise, to sort of shame them along with the teacher. I bet there's some interesting psychology behind it, with kids wanting to gain the approval of the teacher so they shame whomever the teacher is telling off, or perhaps they just want to place focus upon them and see the consequences of the other persons actions.

Anyway, it would often result in the teacher telling the class to be quiet and get back to their work. The teachers definitely didn't encourage it.
25/04/2017 - #blessed
BSV
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

So nice to have a liveshow! Phil mentioning 'the noise' definitely brought back childhood memories haha! Im from Bristol UK and the same age as Phil, the noise at our primary school (from between the ages of 4-7ish) was 'Ummumumummmmmmmm' and from what i remember it was when someone did something naughty, but like an 'Ummumumummmmmm, im telling on you' kind of thing haha god how lame we were
lurker
janice from the shop
Pronouns: they/them

saffarinda wrote:
Catallena wrote:
lurker wrote:
The_Blonde wrote:
lurker wrote:could someone who knows what noise phil was referring to explain to me what he was talking about? did he mean that the kids in class would all do that simultaneously...? when someone would answer incorrectly to a teacher's question...? because that sounds really uncanny (and intimidating tbh) to me, but i'm not sure if i got it right. i'm interested in what it means now though.
It does sound pretty uncanny and Children of the Corn-ish! I can only speak from my Welsh school experience, but it wasn't so much when someone answered incorrectly but more when someone did something outright naughty or that was gonna get them a detention or something. Like signalling the teacher that something bad had happened. (I did work experience in a primary school [so ages 4-11] as a teen and remember a class doing it when one kid poured paint all over another kid's work). If that makes sense! It never was a thing past primary school though.
thanks for the explanation! that definitely wasn't a thing in my schools -- i guess there was more of an atmosphere where it'd be really looked down on anyone bringing the teacher's attention to it. so it still sounds really unfamiliar to me. huh. interesting though indeed, i'd like to see that study on where children make that noise and what it sounds like. maybe a map with audio data.
first the bowling rails and bumpers and now this, thanks idb for educating me on this weekend.
It sounds uncomfortable to me as well. In my school in most cases you'd get punished alongside whoever did something 'bad' because you snitched lol. I think culturally for me it's seen as sign of having a bad personality or something. Well, at least for children anyway... adults snitch all the time.
It's not snitching on people! It was more if the teacher found someone doing something wrong everyone would collectively make the noise, to sort of shame them along with the teacher. I bet there's some interesting psychology behind it, with kids wanting to gain the approval of the teacher so they shame whomever the teacher is telling off, or perhaps they just want to place focus upon them and see the consequences of the other persons actions.

Anyway, it would often result in the teacher telling the class to be quiet and get back to their work. The teachers definitely didn't encourage it.
ahh thanks for explaining that more, i think i understand it better now. my experience must have been similar to Catallena's -- when the teacher was telling a student off, it would have been considered "bad character" to do anything other than keep quiet or try to defend them and qualify whatever they'd done, even if the student in question was already definitely in trouble. just adding to explain why it sounded so unfamiliar to me!
thank's you were great
onetruetrash
blobfish

missemma wrote:
onetruetrash wrote:
flarequake wrote:
onetruetrash wrote:
Dan and Phil didn't put the tshirts on their site as a prank - I just love photoshop
The only time IDB has ever had a shout out is when Human sent a premium message to Dan in a liveshow, he read the premium and gave the shout out!
Yeah, I wasn't sure if that happened or not. Thanks for clearing it up!
plath
sofa crease

Anyone else wondering why nanalew implied that Dan was around for the collab video when we know now that he was actually sprinting around Bahamas airport...?
nope.
loonyradish
living flop

plath wrote:Anyone else wondering why nanalew implied that Dan was around for the collab video when we know now that he was actually sprinting around Bahamas airport...?
I mean, she didn't really claim that, it was more like an "or was he? ;) " to mess around with the phans, I think. Is "to mess around" the correct term for that? Now that I've wrote that, I'm actually not so sure
saffarinda
truth bomb

loonyradish wrote:
plath wrote:Anyone else wondering why nanalew implied that Dan was around for the collab video when we know now that he was actually sprinting around Bahamas airport...?
I mean, she didn't really claim that, it was more like an "or was he? ;) " to mess around with the phans, I think. Is "to mess around" the correct term for that? Now that I've wrote that, I'm actually not so sure
yeah that's the correct term :) intentionally misleading, as many people would assume that means he WAS there.
25/04/2017 - #blessed
plath
sofa crease

I know she didn't claim it outright - hence why I said 'implied' :) I was just curious about what her motives were.
nope.
autumnhearth
senpai

Hi. I didn't get to catch the ls live as we were with family, celebrating Memorial Day a day early. I was so tired and all I wanted to do was listen to Phil ramble at me. However once we got home and caught up on Doctor Who, my husband and son watch the ls with me which was nice. I enjoyed jet lagged Phil, my son laughed at his word fumbles and goofiness, while the husband wanted him to get it together

Thank you for the stampy stamps alittledizzy and fancybum!

"Pancake shakes" lol. I took the cinnamon in the right context to refer to
Phil's cinnamon challenge (spoon fed to him by Dan) after he lost the Jelly Challenge.

I enjoyed hearing Phil's side of the #bahamadrama and his imitation of distraught Dan. So he filmed the collab while Dan was gone (perhaps nanalew was implying that Dan was in Phil's heart mind, as in Phil might have been talking about him before and after the video and perhaps even during but she edited it out. No idea.)

I noticed Phil breezed right through Miami: it was nice, he'd go back there but that was private couples vacation time that he's not sharing the details of and doesn't have to because they didn't give away anything on social media.

Loved hearing about NASA (R.I.P. ) and Gatorland (kiddo asked what an airboat is, we've been on one silly and have held baby gators) No mentions of mini golf. I am sad.

“Well I didn’t force Dan to watch it, he loves Eurovision, so I just forced my family to watch it." Yeah, I called that. Dan was not implied in the "forced family". (Though of course he is family.)

Did the pranking right back refer to being locked out of the house? That's not "right back". Phil agrees he deserves it because of his :D pajamas. Lol paperboy.

Phil flys alone... hmm. I wonder how much earlier Dan went back? How many of those tweets and Instagram photos were posted days later? Perhaps we'll find out on Tuesday. Couples plane seats are definitely not the same without Dan. He didn't want to rub arms with you either French lady.

School children definitely say "oooOOoo" in mine and my husband's parts of the Midwest. I bet you could find some clips of American family shows with that in it. Though now I'm curious to hear the umms and other cultures sounds, as I can't clearly imagine them.

Husband asked if I had signed up for the newsletter yet. Should I? I guess I should.

(I had a dream last night that I posted here but there were so many typos it was illegible and I was way past the time frame to edit it. Also right before waking up I had a dream that Dan was presenting with someone else, a blonde guy, and they had been a duo for years, everyone loved their chemistry and I was said "Nooo! What about Phil?' I got flashes of them meeting and doing some early stuff, but it was definitely in the past. Horrible.)
Last edited by autumnhearth on Mon May 29, 2017 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
onetruetrash
blobfish

I was commenting on the Nanalew collab and was talking about how she was homophobic and all that. I just looked at my notifications and I saw Nanalew loved my comment. I clicked on the notification and I couldn't find which comment she loved, so maybe she loved it by mistake and unloved it? Maybe she meant to dislike it? I don't know, just thought it was weird.
parallel
phabergé

adequate duck wrote:
echinodon wrote:

Couldn't agree more
I may be slightly biased here, but honestly? Most of the anti-SJWs I see call themselves "classical liberals." They agree with same-sex marriage, increasing taxes, general human rights etc., just don't like "third wave feminism." Sure, the loudest voices might be "triggerers" like Milo Yiannopoulos, but I don't think that they're the majority, simply the most outrageous and therefore the most well-known.

I think that it's worth listening to YouTubers like TL;DR and occasionally Sargon of Akkad. I, personally, watch both sides. I don't like associating myself with either because a lot of it is just two poles of the same stick and a lot of going round in circles. We're always going to think that our side is the most rational and see people opposing us as overreacting and silly, but it's good to look at things from an objective, non-personal standpoint.
[offtopic]Is it just me or are Deppy not doing anything? Maybe I'm just losing interest personally,
but it seems like they're just stagnant right now. Imo, their recent videos have become robotic, slow, and generic. I hope it's because they're busy with "life things" and not because they're losing interest. Honestly? I'd lose interest too if I was making the same videos with the same formula over and over again.[/offtopic]
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

fancybum wrote:I'm finally caught up: I watched the Anime collab and I honestly found it really relaxing. I think I can count the number of animes I’ve watched on one hand so the subject matter isn’t entirely #relatable to me but I love this Phil. He’s relaxed and talking about something he’s interested in with somebody who isn’t Dan (and like, I love him doing the same thing with Dan, but Dan talks over him so much that he tends to get cut off and overshadowed)- it’s just NICE to see a calmer dynamic with a different person without the ‘we don’t know each other well and this is slightly awkward’ tension of other collabs, it was just pleasant and chill and at no point did I want to claw my face off. I won’t be sitting the next two out, I'll be enjoying Phil being lovely while another person is also on screen. Kind of like how I watch every video he's in with Cat, the most aggressively boring person alive who is not my cup of tea.
First: ahhhhh your timestamps. That's the good shit right there, ty. I know exactly what happened in the liveshow already yet I'm somehow still hanging on every word when I read them.

Second: I've thought so much about Phil and collabs since that video with Shawna came out. Opinions on her as a person aside, it was a good video. He was good with her, and comfortable in a way I don't think he was with Hazel, or even going back further Caspar or Jim Chapman. Even his collab with Tyler was not quite so smooth, even though Tyler definitely brings a sense of comfort to almost every collaboration that he's in.

Is it that Phil is more comfortable with people he's friends with? Is it that he's more comfortable with men that women? Or is this collab with Shawna more of an example of Phil acting on camera more the way he would off-camera, as we've seen in his behavior shifts with Dan in the past 6-9 months. I suppose the real test will be how "AmazingPhil" he is in the one that actually goes up on his channel.

Third, and not really related to anything in your post, but I keep seeing people say that this is Phil's charity collab/it's nice of him to collab with smaller youtubers/etc. It's a funny how perspective can shift with who is a smaller youtuber just based on who they've actually heard of.

Hazel is by far the smallest youtuber that Phil has recently collaborated with - she's got less than 250k subscribers but I don't remember hearing a lot of talk of that being a charity one, because I think most people in phandom are familiar with Hazel and she doesn't seem like a non-entity to them. Strawburry17 has over a million subscribers, Shawna and Cat both have just over 700k subscribers - though in terms of view count Shawna's got her 260 million view video that blows the curve for the small youtuber status ranking by views. (Obviously one very popular viral video does not make a famous youtubers, but it's still - something.) If you only watch Gleamers and Tyler Oakley then all but the 1% of youtubers must seem small. If you tend to subscribe to a lot of up and coming channels then 700k is pretty far past the metric of success on youtube, that's into 'I can support myself with this as my career' territory with some savvy sponsor work.

I guess my point is that small youtuber seems relative, none of the people Phil has collaborated with are actually small channels - they're just small compared to Phil himself, who happens to have accelerated far above his at one point chosen peer group. Phil is the outlier there, not everyone else. Not to get too mushy about Phil, but I'm glad that he still sees those people as his peers and doesn't seem to have the same elevated opinion of himself that fans have. It'd be a damn shame if Phil were one of those people only willing to collaborate in what essentially amount to cross-promotional management company arranged playdates.
emerald wrote:[offtopic]Is it just me or are Deppy not doing anything? Maybe I'm just losing interest personally,
but it seems like they're just stagnant right now. Imo, their recent videos have become robotic, slow, and generic. I hope it's because they're busy with "life things" and not because they're losing interest. Honestly? I'd lose interest too if I was making the same videos with the same formula over and over again.[/offtopic]
We just had a month of pre-filmed videos. While I wouldn't call them robotic or generic, chances are everything we saw in May are videos deppy filmed in a period of 2-3 days sitting and doing them back to back. That combined with no liveshows to give us little insights into the filming process behind each video or to make each video stand out a little more makes it slightly harder to connect, but I don't think that's a sign of Dan and Phil losing interest so much as the fact that they prefilmed so much so quickly.
saffarinda
truth bomb

emerald wrote:
adequate duck wrote:
echinodon wrote:

Couldn't agree more
I may be slightly biased here, but honestly? Most of the anti-SJWs I see call themselves "classical liberals." They agree with same-sex marriage, increasing taxes, general human rights etc., just don't like "third wave feminism." Sure, the loudest voices might be "triggerers" like Milo Yiannopoulos, but I don't think that they're the majority, simply the most outrageous and therefore the most well-known.

I think that it's worth listening to YouTubers like TL;DR and occasionally Sargon of Akkad. I, personally, watch both sides. I don't like associating myself with either because a lot of it is just two poles of the same stick and a lot of going round in circles. We're always going to think that our side is the most rational and see people opposing us as overreacting and silly, but it's good to look at things from an objective, non-personal standpoint.
[offtopic]Is it just me or are Deppy not doing anything? Maybe I'm just losing interest personally,
I find your comment about them not doing anything really interesting, because a few years ago they weren't doing NEARLY as much as they are now, especially before the gaming channel. Even with the gaming channel, they didn't upload that frequently. I got more interested in other fandoms due to the sheer lack of content, and whilst I still bought merch, watched all their vids I wasn't active in the phandom becuase nothing was keeping me there - I felt as though I'd read all the fanfiction I was interested in, I was never close to people online because I'm terrible at making friends lmao, and there was nothing really keeping me active.

In comparison to now when we've gotten two videos per week, gamingmas which was INCREDIBLE and just (in my opinion) a somewhat closer relationship than a few years ago - however I have a feeling that the lack of radio show could make some people feel as though not much is occuring, I used to watch the radio show every sunday and two hours does feel like a lot (I'm guessing thats why they quit, so they could work on their youtube aspects - videos, book, tour etc).

also i feel as though this forum is keeping me active, before there was never a place where i could communicate and theorise with people other than random messages on tumblr and twitter, it's defo keeing me active to talk to y'all
25/04/2017 - #blessed