Dan and Phil MBTI

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
Post Reply
neptunejoo
smol bean
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat May 20, 2017 1:23 am

Dan and Phil MBTI

Post by neptunejoo » Sat May 20, 2017 1:50 am

From my subjective observation I think Dan is INFj and Phil is INFp. They don't share cognitive functions but they work really well. I wonder what kind of arguments they have



weirdforces
smol bean
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat May 20, 2017 7:16 pm
Location: London

Re: Dan and Phil MBTI

Post by weirdforces » Sat May 20, 2017 8:48 pm

I've been very interested in MBTI for years, my time has come
Prepare for a wall of text. Just to make sure that we're on the same page, by using lower case final letters, are you referring to Socionics or that they are not as strong that the others?

Disclaimer:
These are just my observations, I've been watching Deppy since 2011 but just recently started to watch them again and I definitely know more about MBTI than them, so please correct me if anything is wrong :)
Let's start with Dan because he has done one of the quizzes and got INFJ as a result.
I can't link the younow video because this is my first post, but just type in 'Dan INFJ' in Youtube. He's done a quiz and I often see that people get results that don't fit because they are not honest to themselves while answering the questions or don't know themselves very well. Furthermore, it often depends on the mood you're in or whether you take them seriously. Quizzes are a good starting point though.
He definitely uses Ti and Fe. He has stated several times that he overanalyses everything and has his famous existential crises which are typical traits for Ti-users. He's skeptical, critical, and relies on his own conclusions when presented with facts (see the video Phil just uploaded: "of course it's not real" in response to Phil's question whether he believes in psychic-ness). My argument for Fe is that he readily shares his feelings and insecurities and makes fun of them (Reasons why Dan's a Fail etc). His Fe seems rather lower stack to me because he often comes across as awkward around other people when you watch collabs and he has stated that he's a rather awkward person and often can't be bothered to properly communicate with people. He definitely has the charming Fe traits but not as much as a very high stack Fe user. Fe and Ti are both in the function stack for INFJ (Ni-Fe-Ti-Se), but before I argue that he's another type, let's have a look at Phil.

Phil is not as much of an open book like Dan. He prefers to choose which side the viewer gets to see and is better at hiding his true feelings in order to give a pleasurable viewing experience on his main channel. He is secure and comfortable with his personality and doesn't mind making weird sounds during his videos and having an eccentric colourful style. This would mean that he uses Fi rather than Fe. I'd say his Ne function is very high in the stack. He is famous for his randomness, weird ideas, and inventiveness (he invented a lot of youtube tags and challenges). In contrast to Dan, he just takes in information (Ne) and then decides whether they fit his value system (Fi) rather than analyse it according to his internal logic (Ti). He's more open to believe in psychic abilities and paranormal things and doesn't judge/criticise things and opinions as readily as Dan.

Based on the arguments above, I can definitely see Dan as INFJ or INTP and Phil as ENFP or INFP. I could just leave it there and not start a massive discussion but here are a few more humble opinions on this topic:
I don't really see much Ni in Dan which is the strongest function of an INFJ. People with Ni have a strong future vision which guides them. Dan still doesn't really know who he wants to be (see the latest future predicting video) and the future gives him anxiety (+existential crises) rather than strength and he often fails at sticking to his plans for the future (going to the gym, studying law, promising certain videos). I'd argue that he uses Ne instead, which gets intensified by Phil's Ne since it is not as high. He definitely has similar random insights as Phil and an abstract sense of humour. But since he first judges his environment through Ti, his Ne doesn't come across as unfiltered as Phil's. Also, his Fe is definitely not the second highest in his stack, he's really not that much about helping other people and being social (although he tries it ironically with his internet support group). "INFJs find it easy to make connections with others, and have a talent for warm, sensitive language, speaking in human terms, rather than with pure logic and fact" doesn't remind me much of Dan (source: 16personalities website). I think he also uses Si because he cringes a lot over his past mistakes and holds grudges for quite a long time (if one youtuber has done him wrong in the past, he unfollows them on Twitter and doesn't really spend time with them again). In conclusion, I think the INTP profile fits him quite well, but I don't know him personally (or do I? ) and this is just speculation

Phil strikes me as an Ne-dominant person. And Fi could be his second function, so he would be an ENFP (Ne-Fi-Te-Si). I'm not too sure about his extrovertedness but Ne-doms are often very introverted extroverts and I think he genuinely enjoys being around people he likes and doesn't need as much recharge time as Dan. Since he's less easy to read (Fi), I'm not too sure about that. Having low Si makes sense because he's very insecure about a lot of things in his past and not a very sensory person (clumsy etc). I'm not sure about the Te though, he has stated that he has problems with maths and logic and he definitely hates conflict and wouldn't use the typical Te-bluntness to hurt others which would make sense if it's in the lower stack. But maybe someone else can interpret it better.

Yeah that's it. I hope you enjoyed this bloody wall of text

neptunejoo
smol bean
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat May 20, 2017 1:23 am

Re: Dan and Phil MBTI

Post by neptunejoo » Mon May 22, 2017 4:43 pm

Hey thank you for the reply

I think Dan can be INFj with Ennagram 5w4/6? That's why his Ti shows.

But his Fe is aux. See how he can be emotionally supporting with someone he cares about.

I read in this Forum that Criss Kendall described Phil as quiet and observing at firsr then he would say something random. I think Criss answer is honest answer. I can totally see Phil as INFp

Do you know Bo Burnham? i think he is INTp, you can compare his content with Dan. Using Ti but Dom Vs. ter

Dan follows him too, they share the same humor probably.

jhamba
phabergé
Posts: 288
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:00 pm
Pronouns: she/her

Re: Dan and Phil MBTI

Post by jhamba » Mon May 22, 2017 5:15 pm

Dan as an INFJ makes a lot of sense. I think the Fe mostly comes out in terms of his videos. He's a very Fe performer, with his expressiveness and his usage of Ti to analyse the things he sees around him. But, his analysis aren't as on point as a Ti dom's would be (like Bo's, as neptunejoo mentioned). He's much more focused on the performance aspect.

I think Dan actually does have Ni dominance, and has shown to be pretty perceptive in a weird way. His anxieties come from not knowing the future exactly, but the thing is that he doesn't really trust his instincts, the way a well adjusted Ni dom would. He still has a sense of what will happen, and his plans and ambitions always just kind of work out for him, even if he spends a lot of time worrying about it. And, I think he gets so frustrated with his internet persona because he doesn't get to let his Ni out online. That's why the internet support group videos are so soothing to him, because he can use his Ni and Fe as they're meant to be used.

I don't think that Dan is an Ne user, because his humour is just not Ne. Ne is a lot more cheesy and weird humour (Phil, or Jenna Marbles), while Dan is slightly more of an observer. His videos aren't funny videos, the best videos he makes are storytelling videos, with sketches, and videos which are basically rants. He's a performer more than a comedian.

(also, I see Phil as an Fi dom. He's a lot more reserved than a typical Ne dom, but that might just be because we see him talking to a camera, not a real person)

Also, for the arguments, I think they're mostly Phil's Si/Te against Dan's Ni/Ti. Phil wants things done in a very specific way and can be stubborn about it, while Dan's like, "no, but that doesn't make sense in this context, and doing it this way is faster/easier"
jiggly wrote:dalel is dead, phalel lives.

neptunejoo
smol bean
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat May 20, 2017 1:23 am

Re: Dan and Phil MBTI

Post by neptunejoo » Thu May 25, 2017 3:04 pm

jhamba wrote:Dan as an INFJ makes a lot of sense. I think the Fe mostly comes out in terms of his videos. He's a very Fe performer, with his expressiveness and his usage of Ti to analyse the things he sees around him. But, his analysis aren't as on point as a Ti dom's would be (like Bo's, as neptunejoo mentioned). He's much more focused on the performance aspect.

I think Dan actually does have Ni dominance, and has shown to be pretty perceptive in a weird way. His anxieties come from not knowing the future exactly, but the thing is that he doesn't really trust his instincts, the way a well adjusted Ni dom would. He still has a sense of what will happen, and his plans and ambitions always just kind of work out for him, even if he spends a lot of time worrying about it. And, I think he gets so frustrated with his internet persona because he doesn't get to let his Ni out online. That's why the internet support group videos are so soothing to him, because he can use his Ni and Fe as they're meant to be used.

I don't think that Dan is an Ne user, because his humour is just not Ne. Ne is a lot more cheesy and weird humour (Phil, or Jenna Marbles), while Dan is slightly more of an observer. His videos aren't funny videos, the best videos he makes are storytelling videos, with sketches, and videos which are basically rants. He's a performer more than a comedian.

(also, I see Phil as an Fi dom. He's a lot more reserved than a typical Ne dom, but that might just be because we see him talking to a camera, not a real person)

Also, for the arguments, I think they're mostly Phil's Si/Te against Dan's Ni/Ti. Phil wants things done in a very specific way and can be stubborn about it, while Dan's like, "no, but that doesn't make sense in this context, and doing it this way is faster/easier"
I just binge watched their Undertale videos and Dan's Ni showed really well. He has been suspicious with Alphys a lot and Phil was always like (are we mean to her?).

I witnessed Dan's Ni like he unconsciously picks up clues. Because he is Ni Dom then he processes Ni more quickly than anyone (in his case Phil).

I am always amazed to Ni Dom it's like they can predict the future or have magic filter. But I think they are great at picking clues.

User avatar
Susanisnotafish
phabergé
Posts: 289
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:39 am
Pronouns: She/her
Location: Illinois, USA

Re: Dan and Phil MBTI

Post by Susanisnotafish » Tue May 30, 2017 6:27 am

Just was watching an old ls from July 2015 where Phil said he took some type of test and was in the middle between introverted and extrovert. He thought maybe that was called being an ambivert. I love this topic but don't have any expertise in it. Does this info change what MBTI you guys think Phil is?
"Rub those freckles all over me!" --Daniel Howell

jhamba
phabergé
Posts: 288
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:00 pm
Pronouns: she/her

Re: Dan and Phil MBTI

Post by jhamba » Tue May 30, 2017 4:49 pm

Susanisnotafish wrote:Just was watching an old ls from July 2015 where Phil said he took some type of test and was in the middle between introverted and extrovert. He thought maybe that was called being an ambivert. I love this topic but don't have any expertise in it. Does this info change what MBTI you guys think Phil is?
Lol, mbti kind of doesn't work that way (with ambiverts, I mean). But, if we do want to find out and get super technical about it, we need to look at his tertiary functions (the third on the list). In this case, whether he uses introverted sensing more or extroverted thinking. The functions are technically supposed to be in the same order for each type, and the difference between the tertiary and inferior functions are usually a lot more obvious.

I think that the way he looks at his past and kind of clings to it and even somewhat romanticizes it points to introverted sensing being his tertiary function. He doesn't really seem to use his extroverted thinking very much, or if he does, he doesn't show us. His videos don't have much thinking to them, even though he does do a lot of his thinking in speech. Even then, I think his introverted sensing is a lot more obvious than his extroverted thinking is. So, in the end, I'll go with him being an INFP.

Who knows, though. Maybe he's an ISTJ who matured fast and got in touch with his extroverted intuition very early in life (unlikely, but a possibility).

I'd highly recommend looking up the cognitive functions if you are interested. It gets much easier once you figure out the trick to understanding how the cognitive functions stack on top of each other by just looking at the letters. It'll be a game changer for how you understand mbti
jiggly wrote:dalel is dead, phalel lives.

User avatar
Susanisnotafish
phabergé
Posts: 289
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:39 am
Pronouns: She/her
Location: Illinois, USA

Re: Dan and Phil MBTI

Post by Susanisnotafish » Tue May 30, 2017 11:28 pm

jhamba wrote:
Susanisnotafish wrote:Just was watching an old ls from July 2015 where Phil said he took some type of test and was in the middle between introverted and extrovert. He thought maybe that was called being an ambivert. I love this topic but don't have any expertise in it. Does this info change what MBTI you guys think Phil is?
Lol, mbti kind of doesn't work that way (with ambiverts, I mean). But, if we do want to find out and get super technical about it, we need to look at his tertiary functions (the third on the list). In this case, whether he uses introverted sensing more or extroverted thinking. The functions are technically supposed to be in the same order for each type, and the difference between the tertiary and inferior functions are usually a lot more obvious.

I think that the way he looks at his past and kind of clings to it and even somewhat romanticizes it points to introverted sensing being his tertiary function. He doesn't really seem to use his extroverted thinking very much, or if he does, he doesn't show us. His videos don't have much thinking to them, even though he does do a lot of his thinking in speech. Even then, I think his introverted sensing is a lot more obvious than his extroverted thinking is. So, in the end, I'll go with him being an INFP.

Who knows, though. Maybe he's an ISTJ who matured fast and got in touch with his extroverted intuition very early in life (unlikely, but a possibility).

I'd highly recommend looking up the cognitive functions if you are interested. It gets much easier once you figure out the trick to understanding how the cognitive functions stack on top of each other by just looking at the letters. It'll be a game changer for how you understand mbti
Thank you so much for the insight and advice!
"Rub those freckles all over me!" --Daniel Howell

User avatar
Susanisnotafish
phabergé
Posts: 289
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:39 am
Pronouns: She/her
Location: Illinois, USA

Re: Dan and Phil MBTI

Post by Susanisnotafish » Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:54 pm

neptunejoo wrote:From my subjective observation I think Dan is INFj and Phil is INFp. They don't share cognitive functions but they work really well. I wonder what kind of arguments they have
Saw this article https://truththeory.com/2017/06/03/5-re ... nderstand/ about INFJ. I see several things that seem to apply to Dan from the limited info we have about him. Even the main topic sentence about INFJs having a hard time understanding themselves. Also the part about being private or secretive and the part about their artistic side expressing their inner world, making criticism very personal, and of course the point about standing up for others (although I think Dan also stands up for himself). Just wondering what more informed MBTI people think about the points in this article and how they apply to Dan.
"Rub those freckles all over me!" --Daniel Howell

neptunejoo
smol bean
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat May 20, 2017 1:23 am

Re: Dan and Phil MBTI

Post by neptunejoo » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:56 pm

jhamba wrote:
Susanisnotafish wrote:Just was watching an old ls from July 2015 where Phil said he took some type of test and was in the middle between introverted and extrovert. He thought maybe that was called being an ambivert. I love this topic but don't have any expertise in it. Does this info change what MBTI you guys think Phil is?
Lol, mbti kind of doesn't work that way (with ambiverts, I mean). But, if we do want to find out and get super technical about it, we need to look at his tertiary functions (the third on the list). In this case, whether he uses introverted sensing more or extroverted thinking. The functions are technically supposed to be in the same order for each type, and the difference between the tertiary and inferior functions are usually a lot more obvious.

I think that the way he looks at his past and kind of clings to it and even somewhat romanticizes it points to introverted sensing being his tertiary function. He doesn't really seem to use his extroverted thinking very much, or if he does, he doesn't show us. His videos don't have much thinking to them, even though he does do a lot of his thinking in speech. Even then, I think his introverted sensing is a lot more obvious than his extroverted thinking is. So, in the end, I'll go with him being an INFP.

Who knows, though. Maybe he's an ISTJ who matured fast and got in touch with his extroverted intuition very early in life (unlikely, but a possibility).

I'd highly recommend looking up the cognitive functions if you are interested. It gets much easier once you figure out the trick to understanding how the cognitive functions stack on top of each other by just looking at the letters. It'll be a game changer for how you understand mbti
I am pretty convinced Dan's 3rd stack is Ti. He overthinks a lot, he dwells about the existence and meaning (maybe because his upbringing mother who has philosopy degree?)

silverwinter
spork
Posts: 65
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:18 pm

Re: Dan and Phil MBTI

Post by silverwinter » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:39 am

i used to think dan is an Ni-Se user too, but don't you think it's more likely that he's high Si instead? his view of the past is completely colored by his subjective impression of it, which is one of the strongest indicators of high Si use. correct me if i'm wrong because i haven't paid attention much to d&p anymore, but doesn't dan often talk about how he had no friends or romantic encounters as a teenager, when factually, he did? that's literally the clearest indicator of high Si.

if he were an infj, he would be an Se user...which doesn't make sense for him. there's no way a real infj would distort the past in such a way to fit their narrative bc Si is literally the least used function for infjs. what real evidence is there that he's an Ni user besides the fact that he got infj on a (largely incorrect) mbti test and that infjs are ALWAYS described as misunderstood, special snowflakes who are ~too deep and complex~ for ordinary people!1!!!1 so people believe dan must be one too. i don't mean for that to come off as rude, but imo, dan's intuition seems to be average at best and thinking he's an infj seems to come from the belief that infjs are the only people that can be highly sensitive and emotional yet analytical and complex at the same time

edit: i guess what i'm saying is - to people who understand mbti, do you think there's intuitive bias at play here or is dan actually an intuitive?

silverwinter
spork
Posts: 65
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:18 pm

Re: Dan and Phil MBTI

Post by silverwinter » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:20 am

Susanisnotafish wrote:
neptunejoo wrote:From my subjective observation I think Dan is INFj and Phil is INFp. They don't share cognitive functions but they work really well. I wonder what kind of arguments they have
Saw this article https://truththeory.com/2017/06/03/5-re ... nderstand/ about INFJ. I see several things that seem to apply to Dan from the limited info we have about him. Even the main topic sentence about INFJs having a hard time understanding themselves. Also the part about being private or secretive and the part about their artistic side expressing their inner world, making criticism very personal, and of course the point about standing up for others (although I think Dan also stands up for himself). Just wondering what more informed MBTI people think about the points in this article and how they apply to Dan.
sorry to double post, but this is exactly what i'm talking about. these aren't traits specific to infjs, but to the entire human experience. anyone, regardless of personality type, can relate to being private or secretive or expressing their artistic side or taking criticism personally and standing up for others. i mean, i'm certainly not an infj and i relate to these things to the extreme. it's strange to me that infjs are the rarest and supposedly most misunderstood type...yet all of their traits explained on the internet are the most common, universal experiences that people have. literally anyone that's sensitive/hsp can be an infj by these standards

*this wasn't a criticism to you neptunejoo, i apologize if it comes off that way! it's more of a criticism of the article you linked, which is why i quoted you

jhamba
phabergé
Posts: 288
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:00 pm
Pronouns: she/her

Re: Dan and Phil MBTI

Post by jhamba » Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:35 pm

silverwinter wrote:i used to think dan is an Ni-Se user too, but don't you think it's more likely that he's high Si instead? his view of the past is completely colored by his subjective impression of it, which is one of the strongest indicators of high Si use. correct me if i'm wrong because i haven't paid attention much to d&p anymore, but doesn't dan often talk about how he had no friends or romantic encounters as a teenager, when factually, he did? that's literally the clearest indicator of high Si.

if he were an infj, he would be an Se user...which doesn't make sense for him. there's no way a real infj would distort the past in such a way to fit their narrative bc Si is literally the least used function for infjs. what real evidence is there that he's an Ni user besides the fact that he got infj on a (largely incorrect) mbti test and that infjs are ALWAYS described as misunderstood, special snowflakes who are ~too deep and complex~ for ordinary people!1!!!1 so people believe dan must be one too. i don't mean for that to come off as rude, but imo, dan's intuition seems to be average at best and thinking he's an infj seems to come from the belief that infjs are the only people that can be highly sensitive and emotional yet analytical and complex at the same time

edit: i guess what i'm saying is - to people who understand mbti, do you think there's intuitive bias at play here or is dan actually an intuitive?
This is an interesting theory, but tbth, Dan definitely doesn't strike me as an Si dom/aux user. I don't know much about the way Si users distort their pasts, but I have seen ISTJs, and they're often very different from Dan. Dan has a rebellious anti authoritarian streak which Si dom/aux users don't.

And, I don't know if distorting the past is an Si thing. I think it can be an Ni thing, considering that Ni might spend more time making shit up to fit their narrative, since they have very little understanding of how their brains come to the conclusions they do. It's what makes INFJs and ENFJs pretty charismatic (along with the Fe, ofc), because they can be very convincing, and their brains come to good conclusions, even if the reasoning is flawed.

Honestly, I have no idea about Dan's intuition. I just don't think he's an Ne user (for reasons I mentioned above), and, so, I don't think that he's an Si user, either. And, I'm mostly using the process of elimination to type him. I think he might be an Se user, because we know that he enjoys things like travelling, hiking, dancing, and other physical activities which Se users often enjoy, and is often pretty good at those things. But, I don't think he's a strong Se user, because I think that might be more obvious in his videos. But, again, he could absolutely be an ISTP (because, he's an Fe user, and that's one thing I'm totally sure of).

For me, it's easier to identify the extroverted functions, and in Dan, I can see his Se (which doesn't seem that strong to me), his Fe (which seems very strong to me), and the fact that he's an introvert, which is why I think he's an INFJ, since INFJ is what fits those characteristics the best.
jiggly wrote:dalel is dead, phalel lives.

silverwinter
spork
Posts: 65
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:18 pm

Re: Dan and Phil MBTI

Post by silverwinter » Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:49 pm

jhamba wrote:
silverwinter wrote:i used to think dan is an Ni-Se user too, but don't you think it's more likely that he's high Si instead? his view of the past is completely colored by his subjective impression of it, which is one of the strongest indicators of high Si use. correct me if i'm wrong because i haven't paid attention much to d&p anymore, but doesn't dan often talk about how he had no friends or romantic encounters as a teenager, when factually, he did? that's literally the clearest indicator of high Si.

if he were an infj, he would be an Se user...which doesn't make sense for him. there's no way a real infj would distort the past in such a way to fit their narrative bc Si is literally the least used function for infjs. what real evidence is there that he's an Ni user besides the fact that he got infj on a (largely incorrect) mbti test and that infjs are ALWAYS described as misunderstood, special snowflakes who are ~too deep and complex~ for ordinary people!1!!!1 so people believe dan must be one too. i don't mean for that to come off as rude, but imo, dan's intuition seems to be average at best and thinking he's an infj seems to come from the belief that infjs are the only people that can be highly sensitive and emotional yet analytical and complex at the same time

edit: i guess what i'm saying is - to people who understand mbti, do you think there's intuitive bias at play here or is dan actually an intuitive?
This is an interesting theory, but tbth, Dan definitely doesn't strike me as an Si dom/aux user. I don't know much about the way Si users distort their pasts, but I have seen ISTJs, and they're often very different from Dan. Dan has a rebellious anti authoritarian streak which Si dom/aux users don't.

And, I don't know if distorting the past is an Si thing. I think it can be an Ni thing, considering that Ni might spend more time making shit up to fit their narrative, since they have very little understanding of how their brains come to the conclusions they do. It's what makes INFJs and ENFJs pretty charismatic (along with the Fe, ofc), because they can be very convincing, and their brains come to good conclusions, even if the reasoning is flawed.

Honestly, I have no idea about Dan's intuition. I just don't think he's an Ne user (for reasons I mentioned above), and, so, I don't think that he's an Si user, either. And, I'm mostly using the process of elimination to type him. I think he might be an Se user, because we know that he enjoys things like travelling, hiking, dancing, and other physical activities which Se users often enjoy, and is often pretty good at those things. But, I don't think he's a strong Se user, because I think that might be more obvious in his videos. But, again, he could absolutely be an ISTP (because, he's an Fe user, and that's one thing I'm totally sure of).

For me, it's easier to identify the extroverted functions, and in Dan, I can see his Se (which doesn't seem that strong to me), his Fe (which seems very strong to me), and the fact that he's an introvert, which is why I think he's an INFJ, since INFJ is what fits those characteristics the best.
i do think infjs/enfjs change things to fit their narrative too, but i think that's actually their Ti forcing reality to fit their logical framework. ofc any fj or tp type will do this as they're all Fe-Ti users, but with sfjs/ntps, they have the added Si in there that makes them change the past.
basically, what i'm saying is that all Fe-Ti past distort things to fit their narrative (Ti), but only Si-Ne types will distort the past, which is what i believe dan does.

also i don't believe dan is an istj either (more likely an esfj/isfj as i believe he uses Fe-Ti), but to your point...you can absolutely be an istj and be anti-authoritarian or rebellious. these are traits that can applied to literally any mbti type given the proper motivation. for example, an infp can be pro-authoritarian if they believe that doing so is part of their ethical framework (Fi) whereas istjs can be anti-authoritarian if they were raised in an environment where rebellion was prized - being a dom-Si user, they would want to retain that sense of familiarity as they grew older, which, in this hypothetical case, familiarity would equal rebellion bc that's all this person's ever known.

for context, i am a dom-Si user who is incredibly anti-conformity...bc i was raised by a father who is incredibly anti-conformist and, therefore, not conforming is what has always been familiar to me. being a conformist is actually scary and unfamiliar to me so i don't do it and anti-conformity is traditional to my experience

silverwinter
spork
Posts: 65
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:18 pm

Re: Dan and Phil MBTI

Post by silverwinter » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:09 pm

i tried to edit my post, but it was too late, so i apologize for the double post again.

jhamba i reread your post to see your reasonings for Ni over Ne. i don't really understand what you mean by Ne humor? again, isn't it possible for a person of any personality type to express any type of humor depending on the motivation behind it? my infp friend has a completely different sense of humor from phil, who i think we can all agree is an infp (or at least an Ne-user). tbh i think humor is a shallow reason for why dan isn't an Ne user bc it speaks nothing to the motivation behind the use of the function.

also about what you said regarding Ni...if dan doesn't seem like a well-adjusted dom Ni-user, isn't it more likely that he's not? ofc it's definitely possible that he's an unhealthy infj (tbh i think he's an unhealthy version of whatever mbti type he is lol), but if he has excessive anxieties about the future, i think that points toward low-Ne as fear about future consequences is typically a sure sign of bad intuition. (which i think makes sense next to phil who's a high intuitive user - dan expresses anxieties about the future and the universe (low N) and phil had to reign him in by reminding him of the positive outcomes of the future (high N))

neptunejoo
smol bean
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat May 20, 2017 1:23 am

Re: Dan and Phil MBTI

Post by neptunejoo » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:44 am

silverwinter wrote:
Susanisnotafish wrote:
neptunejoo wrote:From my subjective observation I think Dan is INFj and Phil is INFp. They don't share cognitive functions but they work really well. I wonder what kind of arguments they have
Saw this article https://truththeory.com/2017/06/03/5-re ... nderstand/ about INFJ. I see several things that seem to apply to Dan from the limited info we have about him. Even the main topic sentence about INFJs having a hard time understanding themselves. Also the part about being private or secretive and the part about their artistic side expressing their inner world, making criticism very personal, and of course the point about standing up for others (although I think Dan also stands up for himself). Just wondering what more informed MBTI people think about the points in this article and how they apply to Dan.
sorry to double post, but this is exactly what i'm talking about. these aren't traits specific to infjs, but to the entire human experience. anyone, regardless of personality type, can relate to being private or secretive or expressing their artistic side or taking criticism personally and standing up for others. i mean, i'm certainly not an infj and i relate to these things to the extreme. it's strange to me that infjs are the rarest and supposedly most misunderstood type...yet all of their traits explained on the internet are the most common, universal experiences that people have. literally anyone that's sensitive/hsp can be an infj by these standards

*this wasn't a criticism to you neptunejoo, i apologize if it comes off that way! it's more of a criticism of the article you linked, which is why i quoted you
It wasn't me who linked it :D

But i get your point

neptunejoo
smol bean
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat May 20, 2017 1:23 am

Re: Dan and Phil MBTI

Post by neptunejoo » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:50 am

silverwinter wrote:i tried to edit my post, but it was too late, so i apologize for the double post again.

jhamba i reread your post to see your reasonings for Ni over Ne. i don't really understand what you mean by Ne humor? again, isn't it possible for a person of any personality type to express any type of humor depending on the motivation behind it? my infp friend has a completely different sense of humor from phil, who i think we can all agree is an infp (or at least an Ne-user). tbh i think humor is a shallow reason for why dan isn't an Ne user bc it speaks nothing to the motivation behind the use of the function.

also about what you said regarding Ni...if dan doesn't seem like a well-adjusted dom Ni-user, isn't it more likely that he's not? ofc it's definitely possible that he's an unhealthy infj (tbh i think he's an unhealthy version of whatever mbti type he is lol), but if he has excessive anxieties about the future, i think that points toward low-Ne as fear about future consequences is typically a sure sign of bad intuition. (which i think makes sense next to phil who's a high intuitive user - dan expresses anxieties about the future and the universe (low N) and phil had to reign him in by reminding him of the positive outcomes of the future (high N))

For me, Dan is fairly healthy INFJ (if he is true INFJ). He can be very emotionally supportive. Because almost all INFJ males and female I encountered in rl are usually emotionally manipulative.

They can read people so well. It's like the back of their hands that's why I am suspicious with INFJs.

But Dan, if my assumption is right. He can express what he felt most of the time and encouraged people to do the same (Fe user).

:D

jhamba
phabergé
Posts: 288
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:00 pm
Pronouns: she/her

Re: Dan and Phil MBTI

Post by jhamba » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:48 am

silverwinter wrote:i tried to edit my post, but it was too late, so i apologize for the double post again.

jhamba i reread your post to see your reasonings for Ni over Ne. i don't really understand what you mean by Ne humor? again, isn't it possible for a person of any personality type to express any type of humor depending on the motivation behind it? my infp friend has a completely different sense of humor from phil, who i think we can all agree is an infp (or at least an Ne-user). tbh i think humor is a shallow reason for why dan isn't an Ne user bc it speaks nothing to the motivation behind the use of the function.

also about what you said regarding Ni...if dan doesn't seem like a well-adjusted dom Ni-user, isn't it more likely that he's not? ofc it's definitely possible that he's an unhealthy infj (tbh i think he's an unhealthy version of whatever mbti type he is lol), but if he has excessive anxieties about the future, i think that points toward low-Ne as fear about future consequences is typically a sure sign of bad intuition. (which i think makes sense next to phil who's a high intuitive user - dan expresses anxieties about the future and the universe (low N) and phil had to reign him in by reminding him of the positive outcomes of the future (high N))
Ne humour is a little more cerebral, like, it's based on puns, on observations, it's more sarcastic (not always mean sarcasm), ect. On the other hand, Se humour is a little more physical, based on the way things sound/look. Sometimes, they can work with other functions, and seem like each other (like, Ti can sound like Ne, but then, it's not funny, the way Ne is), but there's always a few differences. ofc, everyone's sense of humour is different, and, the kind of humour you enjoy is not always the kind of humour you can execute. Like, Dan clearly enjoys and tries to emulate Ne humour, but he isn't very good at it, and ends up sounding very awkward. On the other hand, he's very good with skits, with storytelling, and those are the things which makes him funny. Not his spoken jokes, but his skits. (people might point to his sarcasm, but to me, his sarcasm seems more defensive than actual humour).

And, younger people with dominant Si don't really joke that often, but when they do, it's usually through cheesy puns, or through some really well executed humorous sarcasm. They won't really go for funny faces, or funny situations, that Se users will go to when trying to make people laugh.

These are just my own personal observations, ofc. I could very well be wrong.

Dan actually does seem like a well adjusted Ni user, in terms of using Ni. He's just not always happy about what he perceives with his Ni? There are a lot of reasons for being anxious about the future if you're an Ni, even if you have a sixth sense about what is going on.

And, I appreciate the idea that Dan isn't an intuitive, but, tbh, I'm much more likely to think of him as an ISFP/ISTP than an ISTJ/ISFJ, just because I don't think he is an Si/Ne user (and, I say this as an Si/Ne user).
jiggly wrote:dalel is dead, phalel lives.

mochii0203
first-time poster
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:33 pm

Re: Dan and Phil MBTI

Post by mochii0203 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:39 pm

I think Phil is an ENFP. Most ENFP's originally think that they're introverts, or get charged or are a perfect balance of the two. I can speak from personal experience as an ENFP.

justpeachy
phillion/danosaur <//3
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:40 pm

Re: Dan and Phil MBTI

Post by justpeachy » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:13 am

weirdforces wrote:
Sat May 20, 2017 8:48 pm

I don't really see much Ni in Dan which is the strongest function of an INFJ. People with Ni have a strong future vision which guides them. Dan still doesn't really know who he wants to be (see the latest future predicting video) and the future gives him anxiety (+existential crises) rather than strength and he often fails at sticking to his plans for the future (going to the gym, studying law, promising certain videos). I'd argue that he uses Ne instead, which gets intensified by Phil's Ne since it is not as high. He definitely has similar random insights as Phil and an abstract sense of humour. But since he first judges his environment through Ti, his Ne doesn't come across as unfiltered as Phil's. Also, his Fe is definitely not the second highest in his stack, he's really not that much about helping other people and being social (although he tries it ironically with his internet support group). "INFJs find it easy to make connections with others, and have a talent for warm, sensitive language, speaking in human terms, rather than with pure logic and fact" doesn't remind me much of Dan (source: 16personalities website). I think he also uses Si because he cringes a lot over his past mistakes and holds grudges for quite a long time (if one youtuber has done him wrong in the past, he unfollows them on Twitter and doesn't really spend time with them again). In conclusion, I think the INTP profile fits him quite well, but I don't know him personally (or do I? ) and this is just speculation
heyy i know this thread is pretty old but i just wanted to throw my thoughts out there regarding this point. I'm very much an INFJ and while i do consider myself to have good intuition regarding people/situations, the enxiety re: the future you describe definitely applies to me even with a strong Ni function. For me having strong intuition or "future vision" doesn't always translate to decisiveness about my own future, particularly due to struggles with mental illness etc. Actually, i'm pretty sure that kind of indecision is characteristic of INFJs. This is super interesting though and I'm sad that I've shown up to this thread so late! :wahh:

diddydaisyyy
not a first-time poster
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:01 am

Re: Dan and Phil MBTI

Post by diddydaisyyy » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:06 am

I think phil must be isfp! That or isfj. And dan got infj which I think he doesn’t suit. Id next guess him as intj.

diddydaisyyy
not a first-time poster
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:01 am

Re: Dan and Phil MBTI

Post by diddydaisyyy » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:07 am

Ah I made a typo!! I meant dan DOES suit infj, and that phil id guess to be isfp

Post Reply