Dan & Phil Part 47: Do it with Dan!

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
AmazingOCD
glabella
Pronouns: she/her

Watching the One Love concert is heartwarming, Robbie and Ari were so emotional.

Love to everyone on IDB from Manchester and London. I wish the hate in the world can go away someday.

Respect to Phil for not doing his liveshow.
It's a good thing to be strange. Normalness leads to sadness - Phil Lester
onetruetrash
blobfish

I don't know if anyone brought this up yet, but besides Truth or Dare 2, Dan privated four more videos. He privated "If Dan was a superhero..." and all of the Dan Mail videos. I understand why he privated "If Dan was a superhero..." because it is pretty cringeworthy. Why the Dan Mail videos though? And why did he never make the fourth one? I don't remember him even acknowledging Dan Mail's existence after just saying that he lost the footage he filmed for the fourth one in either an unlisted or deleted video. So many questions, so little answers.

P.S. I hope all of the IDB Londoners are safe.
lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual

onetruetrash wrote:I don't know if anyone brought this up yet, but besides Truth or Dare 2, Dan privated four more videos. He privated "If Dan was a superhero..." and all of the Dan Mail videos. I understand why he privated "If Dan was a superhero..." because it is pretty cringeworthy. Why the Dan Mail videos though? And why did he never make the fourth one? I don't remember him even acknowledging Dan Mail's existence after just saying that he lost the footage he filmed for the fourth one in either an unlisted or deleted video. So many questions, so little answers.

Do you mean "A Day In The Life Of A Superhero"? That seems to not be private. Interestingly, that is the only video of Dan's not to have reached a million views--as of the last time I checked, a month or so ago. But looks as though it has recently edged over that milestone!

A Day In The Life Of A Superhero

It is a pretty cringe video, though. Very obviously an early effort.

Weren't the Dan Mail videos privated a while ago? I'm not sure.

Now, if only he'd private "Stalker Prank Call". That video is cringeworthy seven different ways. Probably the only video of Deppy's that I refuse to rewatch.
"If you're left-handed, ask a friend."
"Why am I left-handed?"
"Everybody makes mistakes."
thephandommenace
procrastinator
Pronouns: they/them

LeftHandedism wrote:Now, if only he'd private "Stalker Prank Call". That video is cringeworthy seven different ways. Probably the only video of Deppy's that I refuse to rewatch.

I totally agree. That video makes me all kinds of shades of uncomfortable.

Hope all the London IDBers are safe!
When will it end :(

Just a silly lil trashy question:
have there been any moments recently with that just made you sigh blissfully and inwardly squee "omg I love you/him/them" (aka a moment that reminds you of what makes you like them so much)?
(If it's every video and every day due to the current lovely relaxed atmosphere, good for you!) :thumb:

For me, some of those things include:
- Phil's laugh/big grin
- Dan's dimpled smile
- Dan trying to be annoyed at Phil but his expression just forms into such a fond smile
- whenever they compliment each other
- Phil making an unexpected sexual comment
- when the other reveals something embarrassing/ secret about the other
xaephan
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

onetruetrash wrote:Why the Dan Mail videos though? And why did he never make the fourth one? I don't remember him even acknowledging Dan Mail's existence after just saying that he lost the footage he filmed for the fourth one in either an unlisted or deleted video. So many questions, so little answers.
I think those vids were privated a while ago, not recently. At least when I went looking for them 2ish months ago when I saw that gif set with the butterfly temporary tattoo, they were already gone. I remember it was unlisted at first because he said he closed his PO box, so he didn't want to confuse people (or what that Phil? I honestly can't remember at this moment). Dan's got some pretty creepy/cringy stuff from people though, I'm not surprised he didn't want that kind of stuff easily accessible anymore.

I remember closing out of the stalker call vid just out of sheer discomfort. I don't really remember the superhero vid, but I don't really want to see it either, so I'll just live in confusion haha
if my heart was a compass you'd be north
previously myllakka
onetruetrash
blobfish

LeftHandedism wrote:
onetruetrash wrote:I don't know if anyone brought this up yet, but besides Truth or Dare 2, Dan privated four more videos. He privated "If Dan was a superhero..." and all of the Dan Mail videos. I understand why he privated "If Dan was a superhero..." because it is pretty cringeworthy. Why the Dan Mail videos though? And why did he never make the fourth one? I don't remember him even acknowledging Dan Mail's existence after just saying that he lost the footage he filmed for the fourth one in either an unlisted or deleted video. So many questions, so little answers.

Do you mean "A Day In The Life Of A Superhero"? That seems to not be private. Interestingly, that is the only video of Dan's not to have reached a million views--as of the last time I checked, a month or so ago. But looks as though it has recently edged over that milestone!

No, it was a different video. If you look up playlists of their unlisted and deleted videos, you'll find what was supposed to be the link to the video.

I remember watching the Dan Mail videos 2 or 3 months ago, so it was pretty recent at least by my definition.
Blue Girl
phillion/danosaur <//3

thephandommenace wrote:Just a silly lil trashy question:
have there been any moments recently with that just made you sigh blissfully and inwardly squee "omg I love you/him/them" (aka a moment that reminds you of what makes you like them so much)?
For me it was probably the banana prank. One, because a usually skeptical Dan trusted Phil in spite of himself (of course he did!). Two, because Phil was so cutely proud of himself afterwards (and props to him because I wouldn't have been able to keep a straight face ). Three, because it was damn funny (at least to me).
lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual

onetruetrash wrote:
LeftHandedism wrote:

No, it was a different video. If you look up playlists of their unlisted and deleted videos, you'll find what was supposed to be the link to the video.

I remember watching the Dan Mail videos 2 or 3 months ago, so it was pretty recent at least by my definition.
Ah, yes, this one:

If Dan was a Superhero..
danisnotinteresting
Published on Dec 21, 2011

I must have watched it, but I don't remember anything about it. Dan Mails on the other hand were indeed very cute! :(
"If you're left-handed, ask a friend."
"Why am I left-handed?"
"Everybody makes mistakes."
onetruetrash
blobfish

LeftHandedism wrote:
onetruetrash wrote:
LeftHandedism wrote:

Ah, yes, this one:

If Dan was a Superhero..
danisnotinteresting

I must have watched it, but I don't remember anything about it. Dan Mails on the other hand were indeed very cute! :(
It involved llamas taking over the world. I don't think I have to explain.
captainspacecoat
stress mushroom

LeftHandedism wrote:
Ah, yes, this one:

If Dan was a Superhero..
danisnotinteresting

I must have watched it, but I don't remember anything about it.
I could be wrong, but was it the one where he shows off his party trick (twisting his arm all the way around)? If so, that was for a competition sponsored by the film 'Chronicle', so that's probably why Dan privated it as it's no longer relevant. I'm pretty sure that's the reason, as Phil's Christmas baking vid was uploaded at the same time (December 22 2011 according to my timezone) and that was also sponsored by 'Chronicle'.
onetruetrash
blobfish

captainspacecoat wrote:
LeftHandedism wrote:
Ah, yes, this one:

If Dan was a Superhero..
danisnotinteresting

I must have watched it, but I don't remember anything about it.
I could be wrong, but was it the one where he shows off his party trick (twisting his arm all the way around)? If so, that was for a competition sponsored by the film 'Chronicle', so that's probably why Dan privated it as it's no longer relevant. I'm pretty sure that's the reason, as Phil's Christmas baking vid was uploaded at the same time (December 22 2011 according to my timezone) and that was also sponsored by 'Chronicle'.
It had been irrelevant for over 5 years by the time he privated it, so I doubt that's the reason.
pastelspectre
stress mushroom
Pronouns: he/him

just wanted to put in my opinion for fanfic community on tumblr:
seeing it die down on tumblr is upsetting to me bc i did post a few fanfics (for multiple fandoms) years ago and they got a lot of notes (for me personally) and i'm pretty sure if i posted a fanfic now, there wouldn't be that many notes. it's sad. i can understand wanting to switch from tumblr to ao3, though, ao3 can be a bit more complicated for someone whos used to forum bb code (like me), but it's not too hard to get a hang of it. i find it often has older authors on it though who have good grammar and stuff while some of the fanfic i find on tumblr is full of people who have bad grammar and can't indent/paragraph well, etc etc and yeah. i dunno.

the only way i ever see fanfic (for any fandoms) is if i actively go through the tags or if a popular fan fic writer i follow posts them, which they're bound to be seen, because yknow, they're popular.

to finish this off on a positive note, all the london idbers are in my thoughts
:transheart:
adequate duck
cheeky #spon
Pronouns: she/they

all this talk of tumblr vs ao3 makes me really miss LJ and its community where you could have conversations with friends of friends and there were so many fic communities and rec communities and kink memes. i mean i get the higher ups at lj were occasionally stupid and then it was sold to the russians and i have my own issues with dreamwidth (although i do have a seed account there), but yeah, as much as i love tumblr and ao3 and idb i miss that blog/comment combo.
"don't respect any ducks" - phil lester
scientia
phabergé

adequate duck wrote:all this talk of tumblr vs ao3 makes me really miss LJ and its community where you could have conversations with friends of friends and there were so many fic communities and rec communities and kink memes. i mean i get the higher ups at lj were occasionally stupid and then it was sold to the russians and i have my own issues with dreamwidth (although i do have a seed account there), but yeah, as much as i love tumblr and ao3 and idb i miss that blog/comment combo.
strikethrough 2007 rip lol But yes, the lj days were awesome and felt like a different kind of fandom than what tumblr and ao3 are - not 100% better, just different.
adequate duck
cheeky #spon
Pronouns: she/they

scientia wrote:
adequate duck wrote:all this talk of tumblr vs ao3 makes me really miss LJ and its community where you could have conversations with friends of friends and there were so many fic communities and rec communities and kink memes. i mean i get the higher ups at lj were occasionally stupid and then it was sold to the russians and i have my own issues with dreamwidth (although i do have a seed account there), but yeah, as much as i love tumblr and ao3 and idb i miss that blog/comment combo.
strikethrough 2007 rip lol But yes, the lj days were awesome and felt like a different kind of fandom than what tumblr and ao3 are - not 100% better, just different.
i was working on the livejournal abuse team when that happened, don't even remind me
"don't respect any ducks" - phil lester
majitzu
angel bean

(I seriously miss the times when I used to check idb every single day, but if I look to the bright side I'm getting good grades at uni and I have enough time to sneak some fanfics between study) I was without wifi for 2 weeks so I missed both ls, not that I have time to watch them live anymore tho.
I'm still totally trash
Just wanted to said Hi and I hope everyone is fine and save. And maybe when uni ends I will come back to idb again. Love ya

I started reading fanfics in 2009 and I'm a sucker for fanfiction.net I've never been part of the fics community I just go to the website, read, leave a comment and leave
autumnhearth
senpai

thephandommenace wrote:
(If it's every video and every day due to the current lovely relaxed atmosphere, good for you!) :thumb:

- Phil's laugh/big grin
- Dan's dimpled smile
- Dan trying to be annoyed at Phil but his expression just forms into such a fond smile
The beginning of the recent bomb disposal game when they are talking at the same time and being handsy with each other.

When Phil talks about loving My Horse Prince either during the series or in a liveshow.

When Dan talks about gender or sexuality during liveshows.

Phil talking about boys/men/sex

Dan talking about candles.

Both of them cooing over Dab

Dan encouraging Phil (snipper clippers)

Phil teasing Dan (rebrand)

Dan defending Phil (personal trainer)

Phil pranking Dan

Dan praising Phil

Golf bants

Pastel

Phil facts (even when they're wrong/lies)

"Look at that little curl."

Dan saying Phil wants a corgi

Matching Instagram photos and vacations

saffarinda
truth bomb

autumnhearth wrote:
thephandommenace wrote:

- Phil's laugh/big grin
- Dan's dimpled smile
The beginning of the recent bomb disposal game when they are talking at the same time and being handsy with each other.

When Phil talks about loving My Horse Prince either during the series or in a liveshow.

When Dan talks about gender or sexuality during liveshows.

Phil talking about boys/men/sex

Dan talking about candles.

Both of them cooing over Dab

Dan encouraging Phil (snipper clippers)

Phil teasing Dan (rebrand)

Dan defending Phil (personal trainer)

Phil pranking Dan

Dan praising Phil

Golf bants

Pastel

Phil facts (even when they're wrong/lies)

"Look at that little curl."

Dan saying Phil wants a corgi

Matching Instagram photos and vacations
lol i don't need to say anything else. just t h i s ^^ all of the above ty (the two of them encouraging/supporting each other is just incredible, the BONCAS moment makes me so happy - especially when you watch it in Tomska's blog and can see Dan's reaction - with the "Phil Lester, everyone!" at the end arghh)
25/04/2017 - #blessed
SquishPhan
capita£ester

The truth is out now.
loonyradish
living flop

SquishPhan wrote: The truth is out now.
Ah, that explains why "they" will never confirm Phan - it would obviously seem a bit weird to his friends and family, being together with himself
saffarinda
truth bomb

SquishPhan wrote: The truth is out now.
This reminds me of when Dan was doing that Call or Delete and he was like "Hi, it's Dan-Dan and Phil, Dan"
25/04/2017 - #blessed
plath
sofa crease

Hearing you guys talk about the fandom is really interesting to me, because it's my only view on a group I really don't associate with. I thought I might share my perspective as a somewhat atypical fan?

I've been watching Dan and Phil since spring 2012 (well...I became a fan of what was then known as the Fantastic Foursome...lol rip). I sometimes lurked occasionally in the tumblr tags, but I found the fandom generally much, much younger than me and had difficulty connecting with their perspectives or interests. That's been amplified as I've got older and their fandom's grown exponentially. Before finding IDB I've pretty much watched Dan and Phil in a complete vacuum. It's still pretty new and strange to have other people to discuss them and their videos with (but lovely, yay) - I'm still having that weird feeling of 'hey, you like this thing too??? no way!!!' every time I come on here, lol. I'm very glad I found a bunch of articulate and eloquent Dan and Phil fans to discuss things with.

Anyway, my interest in Dan and Phil has remained pretty constant throughout the years. It maybe fell off a bit when they disappeared last year touring (I have no interest in going to see them live...I feel like I'd stick out like a sore thumb and it would just overall be a bit cringe) but I think I did a good job remaining patient with no content while they took care of real life stuff. I'm glad they're doing a better job this year of balancing IRL stuff with online content. They're really growing and developing as creators and it's great to see. Personally, my interest in D+P is as high as it's ever been - possibly even more now I've found you guys to chat with and keep me informed on all their movements (NOT LIKE IN A CREEPY WAY oh wow that sounded creepy i meant like when go leave the country to cons and shit and liveshows are postponed lmaooo omg).

Anyway, the point to all this ramble is: if I'm like this, there must be a sizeable chunk of others like me out there? Perhaps there's a large amount of fairly dedicated Dan and Phil fans who don't engage whatsoever with the fandom, who just watch D+P vids/shows etc. and then peace out. So perhaps there's still a sizeable amount of viewers whose interest in D+P wouldn't be measured by fandom engagement levels.

Obviously, the vast majority of D+P fans do engage in fandom. But even a small percentage would still represent a sizeable number. It's like the demographics of the channels. For example, take Dan's channel. He has around 6.5 million subs (wow. go boy). If let's say 85% of his viewers are aged under 25, that still leaves 5525000 dan viewers who (like me) are over 25.* That's a lot of people.

My point is, when we get to huge numbers like D+P have, even the minorities within those groups are huuuuuge numbers. So the atypical fans (like me) who don't engage with fandom still represent a large number, even though they may be a tiny percentage of the fandom.

I hope this actually made sense...I've been working all day and my brain is mush. Cannot...express...a thing. Need Dan to come help me be articulate.

*wow I did actual maths for this, my dyscalculic ass is crying rn
nope.
cherrybomb3
cheeky #spon
Pronouns: he/him

plath wrote:I'm very glad I found a bunch of articulate and eloquent Dan and Phil fans to discuss things with.

me too thanks

interacting with you guys and watching you interact with each other is one of my fave things to do on the interwebs. someone (forgot who sorry) mentioned how egalitarian forums are when it comes to discussions and having your opinion or ramblings acknowledged by other people, and i think that this essential internet democracy helps to connect the individual to the wider community, which is quite a positive and rewarding and humbling experience etc

speaking of democratic participation dont forget to vote on thursday lolz
sarmstr2
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

plath wrote:Hearing you guys talk about the fandom is really interesting to me, because it's my only view on a group I really don't associate with. I thought I might share my perspective as a somewhat atypical fan?

I've been watching Dan and Phil since spring 2012 (well...I became a fan of what was then known as the Fantastic Foursome...lol rip). I sometimes lurked occasionally in the tumblr tags, but I found the fandom generally much, much younger than me and had difficulty connecting with their perspectives or interests. That's been amplified as I've got older and their fandom's grown exponentially. Before finding IDB I've pretty much watched Dan and Phil in a complete vacuum. It's still pretty new and strange to have other people to discuss them and their videos with (but lovely, yay) - I'm still having that weird feeling of 'hey, you like this thing too??? no way!!!' every time I come on here, lol. I'm very glad I found a bunch of articulate and eloquent Dan and Phil fans to discuss things with.

Anyway, my interest in Dan and Phil has remained pretty constant throughout the years. It maybe fell off a bit when they disappeared last year touring (I have no interest in going to see them live...I feel like I'd stick out like a sore thumb and it would just overall be a bit cringe) but I think I did a good job remaining patient with no content while they took care of real life stuff. I'm glad they're doing a better job this year of balancing IRL stuff with online content. They're really growing and developing as creators and it's great to see. Personally, my interest in D+P is as high as it's ever been - possibly even more now I've found you guys to chat with and keep me informed on all their movements (NOT LIKE IN A CREEPY WAY oh wow that sounded creepy i meant like when go leave the country to cons and shit and liveshows are postponed lmaooo omg).

Anyway, the point to all this ramble is: if I'm like this, there must be a sizeable chunk of others like me out there? Perhaps there's a large amount of fairly dedicated Dan and Phil fans who don't engage whatsoever with the fandom, who just watch D+P vids/shows etc. and then peace out. So perhaps there's still a sizeable amount of viewers whose interest in D+P wouldn't be measured by fandom engagement levels.

Obviously, the vast majority of D+P fans do engage in fandom. But even a small percentage would still represent a sizeable number. It's like the demographics of the channels. For example, take Dan's channel. He has around 6.5 million subs (wow. go boy). If let's say 85% of his viewers are aged under 25, that still leaves 5525000 dan viewers who (like me) are over 25.* That's a lot of people.

My point is, when we get to huge numbers like D+P have, even the minorities within those groups are huuuuuge numbers. So the atypical fans (like me) who don't engage with fandom still represent a large number, even though they may be a tiny percentage of the fandom.

I hope this actually made sense...I've been working all day and my brain is mush. Cannot...express...a thing. Need Dan to come help me be articulate.

*wow I did actual maths for this, my dyscalculic ass is crying rn
This is exactly me. I don't read fanfics, I don't go on tumblr - I only watch videos and read the occasional message board or 2. I don't consider myself part of the "PHANDOM". I discovered D&P after taking my preteen daughter to a live show a few years ago and had a great time. I thought they were adorable. So now we BOTH watch - although she watches many other YouTubers, I only watch DAPG, AP, DH and PJ. I'm definitely not in the target demographic, that's for sure.

Also, this is my first post - hello, just wanted to say hi after reading so much. :)
saffarinda
truth bomb

I was flicking through Dan and Phil's older videos, and it got me thinking - are there and Dan or Phil videos that you just don't rewatch or completely avoid? Either ones that you just didn't like because of the content within it, or found yourself cringing far too much to continue.

I never rewatch Dan's first truth or dare, that banana licking makes me cringe far too much - I can't watch his University Life where he asked the girls to kiss either, what a fuckboy oh my god
25/04/2017 - #blessed