Dan & Phil Part 47: Do it with Dan!

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
somethingsketchy
janice from the shop
Pronouns: she/her

saffarinda wrote:I was flicking through Dan and Phil's older videos, and it got me thinking - are there and Dan or Phil videos that you just don't rewatch or completely avoid? Either ones that you just didn't like because of the content within it, or found yourself cringing far too much to continue.

I never rewatch Dan's first truth or dare, that banana licking makes me cringe far too much - I can't watch his University Life where he asked the girls to kiss either, what a fuckboy oh my god
This is something I was thinking about just this morning! I generally don't like to rewatch any of Dan's pre-2012 videos because some of the jokes in them are just too questionable and often even tasteless. The most cringe-worthy video that I can recall right now is AmazingDan 2. I think there is both a rape joke and an AIDS joke in the video so I seriously hope that Dan unlists it at some point because in my opinion it's far worse than Truth or Dare 2.
snokoplasmic
procrastinator

somethingsketchy wrote:
saffarinda wrote:I was flicking through Dan and Phil's older videos, and it got me thinking - are there and Dan or Phil videos that you just don't rewatch or completely avoid? Either ones that you just didn't like because of the content within it, or found yourself cringing far too much to continue.

I never rewatch Dan's first truth or dare, that banana licking makes me cringe far too much - I can't watch his University Life where he asked the girls to kiss either, what a fuckboy oh my god
This is something I was thinking about just this morning! I generally don't like to rewatch any of Dan's pre-2012 videos because some of the jokes in them are just too questionable and often even tasteless. The most cringe-worthy video that I can recall right now is AmazingDan 2. I think there is both a rape joke and an AIDS joke in the video so I seriously hope that Dan unlists it at some point because in my opinion it's far worse than Truth or Dare 2.
ooooooh dear. honestly, i can't rewatch most of dan's videos, except for a few mid-2016-and-on ones. and i don't think i've ever seen most of his pre-2015 videos, for the same reason listed above. i know that 2013-2015 videos had nothing of the sort in them, but for some reason i just can't ever bring myself to rewatch
bluebox-away
woodland creature

After yesterday's lovely concert I was debating getting some of that merch, but very glad and proud to see that D&P have made some too! good to see them doing something for the cause. Haven't intentionally being ignoring y'all here, just too busy celebrating finishing my undergrad (and then feeling a deathly hangover the following day) and only just recovered expect more of a contribution from me with my new-found freedom :D
but not on this discussion of old-school dan videos because the cringe is too real
Last edited by bluebox-away on Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
06/04/2016 - I found The Weakest Link :ninja:
Gif credit: IckleMissMayhem
JustMe
living flop
Pronouns: She/her

bluebox-away wrote:
So good they're doing this. On the website they say Manchester is "the origin city of Dan and Phil", love that they're paying homage to it by not just saying how awful it is but by actually doing something as well!
Last edited by JustMe on Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~ I'll be bold as well as strong and use my head alongside my heart ~
SquishPhan
capita£ester

bluebox-away wrote:After yesterday's lovely concert I was debating getting some of that merch, but very glad and proud to see that D&P have made some too! good to see them doing something for the cause.
I wasn't expecting them to do anything like this, but really pleased they did.
jaej
moon room
Pronouns: he/they/idm

the idea is nice but having their faded images as the largest thing when it wasnt related to them is still.. a little... yikes... imo...
scrap their ominous shadows and its a lovely tribute that doesnt prioritise two dudes who werent there
my name is jaejmine masters and i have something to say. dan and phil have fucked up japan :japhan:
phil lester threw the first brick at stonewall, we love a queer icon :biflag:
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

jaej wrote:the idea is nice but having their faded images as the largest thing when it wasnt related to them is still.. a little... yikes... imo...
scrap their ominous shadows and its a lovely tribute that doesnt prioritise two dudes who werent there
It's a good way to get their fans to buy it, which maximizes profits that 100% go to charity.
autumnhearth
senpai

I'm with you on University Life. Someone mentioned Stalker Prank Call and I agree. Pretty much all the Truth or Dares and Would You Rather. (I did notice that all the Truth or Dares are all still on a playlist on Dan's channel). The Sexy Internet Dating videos (though the London one is funnier). I also can't handle AmazingDan 2, though I like seeing clips without audio in phan music video edits and the other things they filmed that day, like the songs. I have a bit of a hard time with PINOF 4 and 5 as well, not because of problematic humor, they just make a bit sad. Despite their love of it I have no desire to watch the Photobooth Challenge or Face Swap ever again. Erm there are probably quite a few AmazingPhil ones from 2011-2013 but they don't really stand out, except Walter. No thank you. Mostly because they are just too random.

Ohhh. I just saw the Manchester t-shirt... I have slightly mixed feelings. It's a lovely design, a great cause and I think I *might* get one. I just feel... guilty? Like I would ordering it for the wrong reasons (romanticizing that era that I just complained about). Oh. It's not in the US shop... I guess that makes sense.
anime_is_not_cool
living flop

okay wow, this was a surprise! they have done so many charity things during the past year when i first saw the design i was like wtf, that looks like something from redbubble, but now that i've imagined actually wearing it, it would be really cool oversized. loving the monochrome aesthetic (even tho in this context it reminds me of a funeral). the silhouette could be from a different photo, now dan's head is very weirdly shaped and phil's fingers just kinda stick out of him...?

such a good idea tho, hoping they sell fast. it's atm the only item in their store that i would actually wear proudly, gotta check my bank account if i have any extra money :)
confusedpanda
ar·tic·u·late
Pronouns: Her/she

anime_is_not_cool wrote:okay wow, this was a surprise! they have done so many charity things during the past year when i first saw the design i was like wtf, that looks like something from redbubble, but now that i've imagined actually wearing it, it would be really cool oversized. loving the monochrome aesthetic (even tho in this context it reminds me of a funeral). the silhouette could be from a different photo, now dan's head is very weirdly shaped and phil's fingers just kinda stick out of him...?

such a good idea tho, hoping they sell fast. it's atm the only item in their store that i would actually wear proudly, gotta check my bank account if i have any extra money :)
The photo is from the thumbnail day in the life in Manchester!
We're here, we're queer, we're filled with existential fear!
gif cred: pseudophan on tumblr
llion
living flop

JustMe wrote:
bluebox-away wrote:
So good they're doing this. On the website they say Manchester is "the origin city of Dan and Phil", love that they're paying homage to it by not just saying how awful it is but by actually doing something as well!
what a sweet way to word it aw. i love that they used the thumbnail, i knew that was some fetus fringe going on. makes it more heartfelt i think.

i don't think it's weird that their silhouettes are there, and would honestly find it weirder if they weren't. the whole point is it is something they're doing because it was an important city in their lives. if they weren't a part of it at all, why wouldn't someone just get something elsewhere? they're not capitalizing off of it, it's going to charity. (and like others have said, it's more likely their fans will buy it when they're included.) i wasn't expecting them to do this and i think it's incredibly thoughtful of them. it's also a neat design! i would get it if i wasn't saving for concert tees later in the year.
art credit: koreinkorein (thank you!)
thephandommenace
procrastinator
Pronouns: they/them

I got one! I didn't consider that it was weird for them to market it as they weren't there, but all proceeds go to charity and it's limited edition so they won't profit off it as part of their brand. I also just think it's a really nice shirt and would have bought it even without their outlines, as I'm from Manchester. The good definitely outweighs the bad, but I don't think there really is any bad worth worrying about anyway imo. Whether they were there or not, the incident was probably really close to their hearts and they felt they wanted to do something to help. :thumb:

Edit: what llion wrote.
DatCog
blobfish

alittledizzy wrote:
jaej wrote:the idea is nice but having their faded images as the largest thing when it wasnt related to them is still.. a little... yikes... imo...
It's a good way to get their fans to buy it, which maximizes profits that 100% go to charity.
I think it's a nice design, although there's something a bit odd about Phil's head...doesn't quite seem the right shape or maybe I'm just seeing it wrong! Anyway, I hope they sell loads and raise loads of money and good on them for coming up with a design and getting it on sale so quickly

Edit: ahhh it's the 2012 hair, that makes more sense ha ha!
autumnhearth
senpai

They already sold out of the two sizes I was considering. I guess that's still a good thing... Also please disregard my US store comment, anyone can order from the World Wide Store. I just realized too late.
Last edited by autumnhearth on Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
idkwhattowrite
crusty sponge

bluebox-away wrote:After yesterday's lovely concert I was debating getting some of that merch, but very glad and proud to see that D&P have made some too! good to see them doing something for the cause.
I think this is a lovely way for Dan and Phil to feel like they're doing something to help, while also providing other people with a way to feel like they're helping. It's a really nice gesture. I am not too keen on the design (although I definitely appreciate the thought behind it and the fact that it's inspired by a video that is so tied to their time in Manchester) but I did order one in support :)
DatCog
blobfish

autumnhearth wrote:They already sold out of the two sizes I was considering. I guess that's only a good thing.
The 3 larger sizes have all sold out! I'll just make a donation instead...was meaning to anyway after last night's concert
secretagentphan
procrastinator

idkwhattowrite wrote:
I think this is a lovely way for Dan and Phil to feel like they're doing something to help, while also providing other people with a way to feel like they're helping. It's a really nice gesture. I am not too keen on the design (although I definitely appreciate the thought behind it and the fact that it's inspired by a video that is so tied to their time in Manchester) but I did order one in support :)
Although for some reason my first reaction was "yikes" it's all going to charity so i think it's really sweet that they did that! I do think it's interesting that the main part of the city they chose to put on it was the Manchester Eye since it's not there anymore and there's a lot of phan connotations around it. But I don't live in the UK so that might be common to still use? Either way good for them for doing some good. Deppy used to never get involved in politics or charity a few years back out of fear of controversy so it's really nice seeing that change so much for the better.
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

[offtopic]Pssst! If you still want to donate via a merch purchase, Ari's website has a bunch of great options: https://onelovemanchestershop.com/

[/offtopic]
lishachi
eclipse shirt

Sorry I haven't been on much since my birthday, thanks for the happy birthdays :D (20 is weird, it's all very weird)
idkwhattowrite wrote:
I love this! I'm happy to see all profits go to charity. I like that they included their thumbnail from the DITL of Manchester in silhouette, that's super cute. They are good people.

I hope to all of you that live in London/Manchester that you are safe. The world can be awful sometimes it's heartbreaking.
snokoplasmic wrote:
somethingsketchy wrote:

ooooooh dear. honestly, i can't rewatch most of dan's videos, except for a few mid-2016-and-on ones. and i don't think i've ever seen most of his pre-2015 videos, for the same reason listed above. i know that 2013-2015 videos had nothing of the sort in them, but for some reason i just can't ever bring myself to rewatch
Oh god. I cannot watch anything around the 2012 time. (For Dan anyway.) I can barely make it through Phils toxic video, the only thing that gets me through is that it is quite entertaining so I just watch with a blanket half over my face

They were sooo different back then than they are now and I think that contributes to a lot of the awkward re-watching of previous content, because the way they are now and they content they put out is so vastly different. Crazy how things change. Some early gaming vids I have a hard time watching cus sometimes it felt a bit forced, around 2014/2015 time. I much prefer their content now. :D
:biflag: :blackheart:
fondsmiles
phabergé

I love the shirts. It's clever and heartfelt (Dan designed them himself apart from the silhouette he said, how wonderful) and a great way to support something important while also teaching their audience that compassion and taking action are possible and important. Such a big audience comes with responsibility, and I love that they seem to be using their voice more seriously, like with the encouragement to vote as well. (I see you Dan)

Generally my heart is pretty full of love for them recently, I rarely say anything different on here but it's just true, they do so many things that make me so happy. Someone asked that earlier, what kind of things made us go "I LOVE them" recently, and apart from the things already mentioned, it's for example the shirt (I literally said I love them out loud to myself in the living room, don't judge me), or just the fact that they constantly make such good content. I've said it before, but I am not used to that from most youtubers. Pretty much everything they do is something I enjoy, and there's so frequent gaming videos that will always, without fault make me smile, and sometimes things are a bit rough but then they make me smile through tears and that's soppy but I don't particularly care because it is also just wonderful.

I am not the most critical of commenters on here, most of you have eloquent thoughts on things that don't even cross my mind, look behind the picture and are smart at figuring stuff out, and that's not really who I am, but I still wanna pop in occasionally and state my love for what they constantly do because that too gets lost in only 140 characters.

so, yeah, Dan and Phil, thanks for doing what you do, I see your effort and I appreciate it. very much
[x]
[x]
saffarinda
truth bomb

Really proud of them for doing it - I'm quite surprised they managed to get a design made and printed so quickly! It's a great way to get people involved in donating. Whilst the silhouettes could be seen as a bit odd considering the circumstances, it's the best way to get Dan and Phil fans to buy Dan and Phil merchandise.

Dan designed it himself?! Okay I 100% agree this makes me so fond of them, it seems like that hit them hard. I'm so amazed Dan went out of his way to design it

Re. Cringe Vids: Basically agree with you on all the old ones! I rewatched the Amazing Dan's and some of the early pinofs just yesterday actually. I had to skip through the second Amazing Dan a bit (and Phil is so flirty in the first one, god), but all the pinof's were still sweet - I'd forgotten how cute they are.

I also don't re-watch the spon vids for the gaming channel. Those app type games just aren't my thing, I don't even re-watch that face one they did ("Pinch and zoom the face"). I re-watched Dan's "What Not To Do At The Cinema" though and firstly, always hilarious when he says "me and my friend" instead of "me and Phil" - really a sign of the times aha. Secondly, the acting where he plays out the dumb chavs in the cinema was honestly so hilarious. It's the sort of stuff that's still really relatable at my age (I have a girl in my class who said she wanted to go to China because she wanted to go to Tokyo... yeah, she thought Japan was in China), so I almost cry laughed at that.
25/04/2017 - #blessed
autumnhearth
senpai

DatCog wrote:
autumnhearth wrote:They already sold out of the two sizes I was considering. I guess that's only a good thing.
The 3 larger sizes have all sold out! I'll just make a donation instead...was meaning to anyway after last night's concert

They added more and I've ordered!
fondsmiles
phabergé

oops sorry i meant he designed it himself apart from the skyline, not the silhouttes, sorry
[x]
[x]
Aeryth
squish

I'm completely in love with Phil's early videos, they're so random and weird (in a good way), but I absolutely can't re-watch "Phillippa", there's something in it... way too ominous for me :)

There's no such thing with Dan - can re-watch everything, sometimes just out of curiousity because my reactions change with time as I learn more about them.

As for D&PGames, I doubt I will ever watch the Silent Hill one again, never actually watched it, just looked at Dan and Phil in the corner while covering the screen with my hands, I'm afraid of everything
Doesn't prevent me from looking forward to the spooky week, though)
malday
emo goose

secretagentphan wrote:
idkwhattowrite wrote:
Although for some reason my first reaction was "yikes" it's all going to charity so i think it's really sweet that they did that! I do think it's interesting that the main part of the city they chose to put on it was the Manchester Eye since it's not there anymore and there's a lot of phan connotations around it. But I don't live in the UK so that might be common to still use? Either way good for them for doing some good. Deppy used to never get involved in politics or charity a few years back out of fear of controversy so it's really nice seeing that change so much for the better.
I think that just shows that deep emotional attachment they have to the city, even though they didn't live there for long.

It's a really wonderful way to help out the charity. Kudos to them!