Dan & Phil Part 47: Do it with Dan!

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
nephilimcat
woodland creature
Pronouns: she/her

saffarinda wrote:But on the topic, when you started watching Dan and Phil did you think friendship or relationship first? What was it that made your opinion change to relationship if you initally thought friendship (or what makes you still think friendship, as opposed to relationship)?
I was introduced to them by a shipper, so I was a bit biased. I didn't take it seriously though and thought they were just ordinary friends people ship, as that happens a lot. I did become phanagnostic very fast when I found out more about them. When they announced their move the way they did and Dan made that comment about Phil wanting a corgi, I started to believe that whatever they label their relationship, they're a thing for life and I'd be shocked if something else was revealed. And that's how I think about them now.
onetruetrash wrote:
iihappydays wrote:Im relatively new to all this, and had no idea Tyler did this. It makes me wonder though what you all think Shane is hearing or seeing that would lead him to think they're going to come out or something? I didn't think much about this but since Tyler has done it, clearly this behavior has a precedent. Has Dan and Phil's behavior changed dramatically enough recently for it to seem like this is actually on the horizon? I'm asking because I don't have much to compare it to.
Their behavior has changed drastically over the last 7 or 8 months. We're living in what Dan, and therefore us, calls the post-baking universe. Basically, ever since their most recent Halloween baking video, Dan and Phil have been much more open and commonly make sexual jokes, far more than before the baking video. And now that they've moved in together for a third time, and YouTube might not last them much longer, it seems like it's becoming more and more likely that they'll come out. Except people like Shane are probably part of the reason they are hesitant to.
While I agree that their behaviour has changed, I don't think any of this indicates a coming out. I do understand how it may seem that way though, especially if you aren't really aware of how Dan and Phil usually handle things.
I don't believe they will ever have some sort of traditional coming out or phan confirmation or whatever. I wouldn't even call them closeted, especially Dan is pretty open about his male attractions. They will keep it lowkey and somewhat ambiguous until it's impossible to do so and even then they probably won't make an announcement. The way they go about it seems more like "look, we are inseparable and men are hot but we won't tell you more because it's private". And honestly, I admire their approach and try to mimic it a bit, although I need a bit more confidence for that. Which I think is obvious they have these days when it comes to their sexualities and their behaviour around each other. I don't think they really care what people think anymore.
pulvis et umbra sumus
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

onetruetrash wrote:Yeah, they can still survive on their little ad revenue and merch, but not forever and if you're gonna go out, may as well go out with a bang.
In terms of popularity, yeah, no one can predict the future a few years out. In terms of finance and revenue, they're situating themselves so that they have a constant stream of income through IRL Store through other youtubers and they seem to be steadily expanding. Plus even when we talk about ad revenue dropping - make no mistake, they're bringing in a fuckload of cash per video.

Random tangent about money and youtube under the spoiler.
In vlog he did last week, Philip DeFranco casually threw out that particular vlog would probably make around $600 - as of right now it has about 300k views. I wonder how accurately that translates to Dan and Phil videos? Because based on that figure, they make somewhere in the ballpark of $2400/£1900 per gaming video that reaches around a million views - which is most of them.
But I also don't think that their status on youtube will really dictate whether they come out or not. I see it more as them gradually finding where a comfortable line is for them and sticking with it. We might even be at that line now; they're honest about traveling together, socializing together, stories are generally inclusive about both of them, but we're not exactly getting the bedroom tour.
onetruetrash
blobfish

nephilimcat wrote:
onetruetrash wrote:
iihappydays wrote:Im relatively new to all this, and had no idea Tyler did this. It makes me wonder though what you all think Shane is hearing or seeing that would lead him to think they're going to come out or something? I didn't think much about this but since Tyler has done it, clearly this behavior has a precedent. Has Dan and Phil's behavior changed dramatically enough recently for it to seem like this is actually on the horizon? I'm asking because I don't have much to compare it to.
Their behavior has changed drastically over the last 7 or 8 months. We're living in what Dan, and therefore us, calls the post-baking universe. Basically, ever since their most recent Halloween baking video, Dan and Phil have been much more open and commonly make sexual jokes, far more than before the baking video. And now that they've moved in together for a third time, and YouTube might not last them much longer, it seems like it's becoming more and more likely that they'll come out. Except people like Shane are probably part of the reason they are hesitant to.
While I agree that their behaviour has changed, I don't think any of this indicates a coming out. I do understand how it may seem that way though, especially if you aren't really aware of how Dan and Phil usually handle things.
I don't believe they will ever have some sort of traditional coming out or phan confirmation or whatever. I wouldn't even call them closeted, especially Dan is pretty open about his male attractions. They will keep it lowkey and somewhat ambiguous until it's impossible to do so and even then they probably won't make an announcement. The way they go about it seems more like "look, we are inseparable and men are hot but we won't tell you more because it's private". And honestly, I admire their approach and try to mimic it a bit, although I need a bit more confidence for that. Which I think is obvious they have these days when it comes to their sexualities and their behaviour around each other. I don't think they really care what people think anymore.
I totally agree, I just mean that if a traditional coming out were to happen, it would be on the horizon.
onetruetrash
blobfish

Sorry to double post, but what is with DanHowellLimited's networked users? There's literally someone on there with 5 subscribers.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

onetruetrash wrote:Sorry to double post, but what is with DanHowellLimited's networked users? There's literally someone on there with 5 subscribers.
Those channels claimed by DanielHowellLimited posted videos with content already copyrighted by Dan. It basically just means that Dan gets the money from that video.
saffarinda
truth bomb

onetruetrash wrote:
nephilimcat wrote:
onetruetrash wrote:
I totally agree, I just mean that if a traditional coming out were to happen, it would be on the horizon.
What's quite smart is that they often only express make attraction in liveshows, where their dedicated audience is, or if it's expressed on main channels (all I can think about is Dan's diss track) then if the audience wants too, they can view it as a joke. It prevents them from possibly pushing away some of their audience.

We all know they've viewed men as attractive, I personally can't see them ever doing coming out videos - it draws way too much attention and is pretty unnecessary. I don't think either of them would even want to make formal announcements. I don't feel that either of them would consider it necessary, they'd just let the audience pick up on the implications of any of their actions.
25/04/2017 - #blessed
onetruetrash
blobfish

alittledizzy wrote:
onetruetrash wrote:Sorry to double post, but what is with DanHowellLimited's networked users? There's literally someone on there with 5 subscribers.
Those channels claimed by DanielHowellLimited posted videos with content already copyrighted by Dan. It basically just means that Dan gets the money from that video.
Oh okay, I thought it was weird sorry for the pointless post
iihappydaysii
glabella

alittledizzy wrote:
onetruetrash wrote:Yeah, they can still survive on their little ad revenue and merch, but not forever and if you're gonna go out, may as well go out with a bang.
In terms of popularity, yeah, no one can predict the future a few years out. In terms of finance and revenue, they're situating themselves so that they have a constant stream of income through IRL Store through other youtubers and they seem to be steadily expanding. Plus even when we talk about ad revenue dropping - make no mistake, they're bringing in a fuckload of cash per video.

In vlog he did last week, Philip DeFranco casually threw out that particular vlog would probably make around $600 - as of right now it has about 300k views. I wonder how accurately that translates to Dan and Phil videos? Because based on that figure, they make somewhere in the ballpark of $2400/£1900 per gaming video that reaches around a million views - which is most of them.
But I also don't think that their status on youtube will really dictate whether they come out or not. I see it more as them gradually finding where a comfortable line is for them and sticking with it. We might even be at that line now; they're honest about traveling together, socializing together, stories are generally inclusive about both of them, but we're not exactly getting the bedroom tour.
This makes me feel better in terms of them continuing to make videos which I just enjoying watching them so, good news.

I agree in terms of them not coming out. I mean I haven't been around long, but the general impression seems to be that they are both private and not prone to spectacle, certainly regarding their private lives. I see it more as they will stop actively covering things up, rather than announcing anything. If I were in their shoes I would want to strike a balance between exposing my relationship to public scrutiny and having to actively cover up and deny the realities of my life.
Birdie
blobfish
Pronouns: they/them

saffarinda wrote:But on the topic, when you started watching Dan and Phil did you think friendship or relationship first? What was it that made your opinion change to relationship if you initally thought friendship (or what makes you still think friendship, as opposed to relationship)?
My initial thought was friendship when I started watching sometime in 2012 or so, not because of the phan denials which I wasn't aware of at that time, just from watching their videos. Then I kind of got sucked into the phandom and saw all the "proof" and had some doubts. I think I nearly shipped them sometime in 2014 or maybe I even did for a while but then I realised that a lot of "proof" wasn't proof at all and that a lot of timelines had false information on them (like Phil's "Phil kissed a boy" tweet. It's usually on there as proof when in fact it was a prank tweet from one of his fans, which is something I never knew until it was brought up here a few weeks ago).

That's why I don't really have an opinion on this anymore. I think a lot of people really want them to be together for many different reasons and I think a lot of shippers base their believe that they're together on false proof or inconsistent timelines they might have seen - or just on their interpretation of their behaviour towards each other. At this point I think anything is possible. They might be together. Or they might be really close friends that don't give a fuck about what society thinks male friends can and cannot do, thus looking couply. I don't know and I probably won't find out because they're not going to tell us so I'll just take them at face value these days. I don't have an opinion on phan anymore and I've kind of stopped caring about phan too.

One thing I've noticed ever since 2012 is that every few months the phandom thinks they're about to come out - and it never happens. We're in that kind of phase again where a lot of people think they will come out soon but I've seen this in 2013, 2014 and 2016 and it just never happened.
lishachi
eclipse shirt

This isn't really relevant to any of the conversations but there was 'fandometrics' that came out on tumblr today and i was looking through them and found some stuff interesting.

( These being from June 5th, most recently) Dan and Phil are 8th most popular (and maintained this) on the 'Ships' list

They are also 3rd and 4th on the 'Web Stuff' list, Dan being 3rd and Phil being 4th most popular I guess searched for/popular tags etc on Tumblr.

Whereas for 29th May, they were 8th in the 'Ships' and had gone down by 3, with other fandoms including Overwatch, Supergirl and YOI taking over the top spots.

In 'Web Stuff' Dan was 1st and Phil was 4th. Did anything happen around that time where Dan would of got a lot of popularity/searches/attention? That would correlate with this?

For May 22nd, in 'Ships' they were 5th and for 'Web Stuff' Phil was 2nd and Dan was 4th. Was this around the time the collabs came out on Phils channel?

Curious if these Fandometrics actually line up with events/photos/videos that cause them to have a sudden boost, If you get what I mean.
:biflag: :blackheart:
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

alittledizzy wrote:

Seconding essentially all of this.

I think sometimes folks underestimate just how much money D&P are making and that this isn't something that will just die out when YouTube hits a low. Videos, as mentioned, naturally aren't everything, but they're a nice chunk and they're making good money off of that alone as alittledizzy mentioned. In addition to that, they've got: merch sales (that I'd go so far as to say might be the biggest piece of the pie, esp during tour), brand deals, their books, YouNow brings in $2-3K a pop, and God knows how else their other projects (secret are not) have and are funded.

Right now, in 2017 (or ever tbh), there is no need for them to pull publicity stunts or go out with a bang or any of that. And I also don't perceive them as the kind that would out themselves in the name of monetary desperation. They care about themselves and their private life too much and honestly? That's part of what I love about them??? There's a whole world of stunts they can pull that will make them more money without ever having to risk their privacy. (A podcast is the first thing that comes to mind. But maybe that's because I've been fantasizing about a D&P podcast for months.)

On a completely unrelated note... I've been thinking that I kind of wish they would make a small side channel video about how much money the shirts have raised. And maybe promote it a bit more. It would be nice to hear more about the Phandom-effect in a quantified way, as opposed to us just generally knowing.
iihappydaysii
glabella

I've been dreaming of a podcast as well. I wonder what it would be like. I could see it doing welll along the lines of what John and Hank do, but I'm not sure. Anyone have any thoughts on what they'd like a potential podcast to look like? Or why they wouldn't want them to do a podcast?
ananas
crusty sponge

Katka wrote:
My initial thought was friendship when I started watching sometime in 2012 or so, not because of the phan denials which I wasn't aware of at that time, just from watching their videos. Then I kind of got sucked into the phandom and saw all the "proof" and had some doubts. I think I nearly shipped them sometime in 2014 or maybe I even did for a while but then I realised that a lot of "proof" wasn't proof at all and that a lot of timelines had false information on them (like Phil's "Phil kissed a boy" tweet. It's usually on there as proof when in fact it was a prank tweet from one of his fans, which is something I never knew until it was brought up here a few weeks ago).

That's why I don't really have an opinion on this anymore. I think a lot of people really want them to be together for many different reasons and I think a lot of shippers base their believe that they're together on false proof or inconsistent timelines they might have seen - or just on their interpretation of their behaviour towards each other. At this point I think anything is possible. They might be together. Or they might be really close friends that don't give a fuck about what society thinks male friends can and cannot do, thus looking couply. I don't know and I probably won't find out because they're not going to tell us so I'll just take them at face value these days. I don't have an opinion on phan anymore and I've kind of stopped caring about phan too.

One thing I've noticed ever since 2012 is that every few months the phandom thinks they're about to come out - and it never happens. We're in that kind of phase again where a lot of people think they will come out soon but I've seen this in 2013, 2014 and 2016 and it just never happened.
This sums up my feelings on them as well :thumb:
pilotlight
#relatable
Pronouns: he/him

The first videos I watched were on the gaming channel, and initially I didn't assumed they were anything other than friends. But then the more I watched, the more they reminded me of a couple. I can't put a finger on what exactly (or really, I don't know how to put it in words), it was just a general impression from the way they interacted with each other. After becoming curious and lots of googling and spending time lurking GG and then here, I still wasn't totally on the "they're together" side of the fence, but it definitely seemed totally plausible. Their recent move, though... But sometimes I wonder if my interpretation is biased because some aspects of their relationship remind me of my relationship with my husband.
onetruetrash
blobfish

rizzo wrote:
alittledizzy wrote:

Seconding essentially all of this.

I think sometimes folks underestimate just how much money D&P are making and that this isn't something that will just die out when YouTube hits a low. Videos, as mentioned, naturally aren't everything, but they're a nice chunk and they're making good money off of that alone as alittledizzy mentioned. In addition to that, they've got: merch sales (that I'd go so far as to say might be the biggest piece of the pie, esp during tour), brand deals, their books, YouNow brings in $2-3K a pop, and God knows how else their other projects (secret are not) have and are funded.

Right now, in 2017 (or ever tbh), there is no need for them to pull publicity stunts or go out with a bang or any of that. And I also don't perceive them as the kind that would out themselves in the name of monetary desperation. They care about themselves and their private life too much and honestly? That's part of what I love about them??? There's a whole world of stunts they can pull that will make them more money without ever having to risk their privacy. (A podcast is the first thing that comes to mind. But maybe that's because I've been fantasizing about a D&P podcast for months.)

On a completely unrelated note... I've been thinking that I kind of wish they would make a small side channel video about how much money the shirts have raised. And maybe promote it a bit more. It would be nice to hear more about the Phandom-effect in a quantified way, as opposed to us just generally knowing.
You both make very good points! I'm not necessarily underestimating how much they make and more overestimating the ADpocalypse.

You're definitely right about the going out with a bang. I think I was just thinking about what I would do. But yeah, Dan and Phil are not those kinds of people.
DatCog
blobfish

Oh gosh, a podcast would be a dream! I'd love to listen to them on my drive to and from work. Really hope they do one sometime, I'd subscribe straight away. Reminds me that I should load up the TABINOF audiobook on to my phone for an upcoming long trip.
saffarinda wrote:
But on the topic, when you started watching Dan and Phil did you think friendship or relationship first? What was it that made your opinion change to relationship if you initally thought friendship (or what makes you still think friendship, as opposed to relationship)?
I started watching D&P in late 2015 and happily went along with the idea that they were just good friends because that's what they said they were and didn't feel the need to question it. After being shown voldy by my daughter a short while later, the possibility of them being something more started to grow in my mind but it took Halloween Baking 2016, the Boncas and Gamingmas to really bring me around. I'm now completely in the trash, thank you 2017!
adequate duck
cheeky #spon
Pronouns: she/they

lishachi wrote:
Curious if these Fandometrics actually line up with events/photos/videos that cause them to have a sudden boost, If you get what I mean.
usually the opposite iirc. deppy are using right up there in the top 5 of ships and often 1st and 2nd web celebrities/youtubers, but if something big happens with a different ship or youtuber they might drop down a few places if there's a lot of discussion about said thing.
"don't respect any ducks" - phil lester
plath
sofa crease

Katka wrote:

^ totally agree with all of this
nope.
iihappydaysii
glabella

[quote]saffarinda wrote:
But on the topic, when you started watching Dan and Phil did you think friendship or relationship first? What was it that made your opinion change to relationship if you initally thought friendship (or what makes you still think friendship, as opposed to relationship)?[/

I didn't pass judgement friends or otherwise at first. Assuming someone is straight is something I actively try not to do so I was just sort of like "I don't know". But I did know that people shipped them somewhat quickly. I heard about voldy but in the context of it being a prank, which seemed in particularly poor taste so I was curious about why they'd do this. I looked it up, thinking it would be hard to find. It wasn't. It came right up when I googled it, so I watched it. (At this point, I'm under the impression it was a prank as I was taking them at their word and didn't fully understand the content of the video). I just remember shutting my laptop with a sick feeling in my stomach and a single thought which was "wow, I was never meant to see that". The more I thought about the vid and spiraled down the spiral, the more I felt I was making more illogical leaps to conclude they werent together than I was to conclude they were. In short, it wasn't their dynamic that made me see them as likely a romantic couple, but the evidence (I hesitate to use that word) that made me end up seeing their actions through a romantic lens. Like friends /can/ do these things, but so can romantic partners and one isn't inherently more likely than the other. In Dan and Phil's case, from my own pov, I came to see the romantic option as the more likely and the more supported by what I'd looked at online.
lurker
janice from the shop
Pronouns: they/them

i 100% thought friendship when i started watching and didn't even know at first that people shipped them. i first encountered "phan proof" through some yt comments (the tone and invasiveness of which bothered me. would still, probably, if i still looked at them -- the implication seemed to be that there are certain things a person can't do without making it obvious that they're not straight. things being phrased in a "we know already, you can't hide it" kind of way). but apart from that, i thought the things being brought up were mostly coming from a very heteronormative point of view combined with a somewhat narrow understanding of what friendship can entail. to me, none of the "observables" that are sometimes weighed into this discussion have much substance due to my own personal experience where i have a platonic best friend with whom i can check all the boxes from family holidays over photos that look like love eyes to future house and pet talk as well. i understand that it's not a universal argument to be made, but because of that, the variables of their lives being brought up as proof don't "prove" anything in my point of view. when i first got into watching deppy, i thought it was so nice to see two guys being unabashed about being close best friends who share their lives together, and put the shipping in around the same category as my friends' parents making a joke of me and my friend getting married some day. my perception of their relationship only changed when i started to follow deppy on social media, watch their liveshows, etc. i think it results from something like the mixture of learing about their history, the level of commitment to each other which they seem to have, comparing them further to me and my friend and vaguely getting the impression that there might be something "more", and, weirdly enough, some gaming video moments where they talk about significant others which gave me the impression that someone is speaking whose partner and best friend are the same person. i can't 100% explain, though. it's not something i think about a lot. i'd be upset if deppy turned out to be actors who secretly hated each other or sad if they parted ways, but, like, apart from that, i guess i'm not invested in the nature of their relationship.
captainspacecoat wrote:Shane seemed pretty apologetic on twitter (not gonna link all the tweets as there are heaps) which I give him credit for I guess, but oh god I hope he doesn't actually do this:
That's just gonna keep the drama going and bring even more attention to the matter, and I feel like that's the last thing dnp would want. I understand why people tweeted him directly (and am fully on their side in terms of moral stance) but I feel like this is just unnecessary and would have been better off left alone. Dan and Phil don't need their battles fought for them and ahhh I don't know why this makes me cringe but it does, I wish Shane would just drop it.

edit: ah god sorry this dramatic-ass post is top of the page :/
i don't really want to bring shane up again but i need to get out of my system that his reply to the initial video in this thread shows that he fundamentally fails to see the problem anyone might have. op literally says that they're upset about his comments due to having been outed themselves and he's like "okay but i didn't mean any harm". like??? shane should be able to acknowledge that publicly speculating about someone's orientation might be upsetting to parts of his own audience on their own behalf, e.g. if they're closeted themselves.

on an unrelated (and edited) note, i wanted to add that i enjoyed to read the discussion about their view counts. alittledizzy's very informative posts come to mind -- thank you!
thank's you were great
onetruetrash
blobfish

This has absolutely nothing to do with anything being discussed, but something has been really bugging me lately. Whenever people asked what caused the chaos that was 2012, the go-to answer is always voldy, but the timelines don't seem to match up. The original leak happened on September 17 2011 and everyone says that some people noticed, but it wasn't a big, big deal. People usually credit the second leak as the cause of 2012. But that can't be true! The second leak happened on October 31 2012. There were only two months left in the year, so how does that explain the other 10 months? Maybe the first leak did cause 2012, but if that's true, why does everyone tend to agree no one really cared about the first one that much? And there were still 4 months of 2011. Is there anyone here who was there during the first and second leak who may be able to clear this confusion up?
MythicalPinkTrashCan
phabergé

iihappydaysii wrote:I've been dreaming of a podcast as well. I wonder what it would be like. I could see it doing welll along the lines of what John and Hank do, but I'm not sure. Anyone have any thoughts on what they'd like a potential podcast to look like? Or why they wouldn't want them to do a podcast?
I'd be willing to do a lot if it meant we got a podcast from them. My current dream is just an Ear Biscuit (Rhett & Link's podcast) or a Not Too Deep With Grace Helbig episode, but if they start 'casting on a regular basis.... I'd be drooling. I love podcasts tho, so I might be a bit biased.
sapienveneficus
rainbow nerd

MythicalPinkTrashCan wrote:
iihappydaysii wrote:I've been dreaming of a podcast as well. I wonder what it would be like. I could see it doing welll along the lines of what John and Hank do, but I'm not sure. Anyone have any thoughts on what they'd like a potential podcast to look like? Or why they wouldn't want them to do a podcast?
I'd be willing to do a lot if it meant we got a podcast from them. My current dream is just an Ear Biscuit (Rhett & Link's podcast) or a Not Too Deep With Grace Helbig episode, but if they start 'casting on a regular basis.... I'd be drooling. I love podcasts tho, so I might be a bit biased.
The two of them on Ear Biscuits is my dream as well. My absolute favorite episode of Ear Biscuits is their interview with Hannah Hart. Rhett and Link must have a way about them because she opened up on that podcast more than I've ever heard a YouTuber open up before. And the guys in turn shared a great deal about themselves with her (That story about Rhett getting spanked at 14 is hilarious; I also love the poster story at the very beginning). Anyhow, I know (logically) that they would never share too much on a podcast. But if I could have my perfect, fantasy episode of Ear Biscuits, it would be Dan and Phil talking about their relationship and how it went from friendship to something more and how they've carefully navigated that dynamic, in light of their careers, over the years.

Now, of course, that would never happen. But I do still want Dan and Phil to appear on the podcast. Rhett and Link are great conversationalists, and I think they'd have a great conversation with regardless of the topic. It'd also be fun to see them on an episode of GMM.
"Someone, somewhere is into that." Daniel Howell
idkwhattowrite
crusty sponge

I've wanted them to do a podcast for a while! I feel like it has potential to be a place for content that isn't as structured and planned out as their main channel videos, but also gives them more room to expand on topics than the live shows tend to. Don't get me wrong, I love the live shows, but I sometimes feel like they start to talk about something interesting and then get side tracked by someone in the comments, and I'm left feeling slightly disappointed that I didn't get to hear the whole story. I also think it could be a good way for Dan to put time and effort into structuring his opinions and stories for a format that he doesn't hold to the same quality threshold as his main channel, much like the gaming videos. I would love to hear more of both his and Phil's opinion on the films they watch, music they listen to, and just world and life stuff.

I'm not sure they'll ever do it, since they already have a pretty regular update schedule across several channels + live shows (and potentially other projects) but I would subscribe first thing if they ever decided to.!!
MythicalPinkTrashCan
phabergé

Is there going to be a phil liveshow today? For some reason, i thought yesterday we were gonna get one?

Nevermind, I read "thursday" as "tomorrow" and can't brain.