Dan & Phil Part 47: Do it with Dan!

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
fondsmiles
phabergé
Pronouns: she/her

autumnhearth wrote: -Fave HP film Order of the Phoenix (least fave book) fave book HBP
(CC. Dan they had a complete cast change...) fondsmiles they saw it in January, see "I have hobbit hair" liveshow
oh thanks i actually remember, i got it confused with hamilton for a second bc i am waiting on opinions on that one

edit: since this wonderful post got top of the page lemme just also say:
pls go vote wherever you are in whatever election you can and also be kind to ppl and be kind to someone today actively, and also drink water. thank you for your attention and goodbye
[x]
[x]
saffarinda
truth bomb

sparklemug wrote:GUYS, he read out my premium today!! But I think it may have been cut for the youtube upload as I can't seem to find it :( It was early on in the show, I was the one who went "it's my birthday! i'm 27 lol" and he said something to the effect of "that's good, someone older than me" and now I'm sad that I don't have this immortalised forever. Does anyone at all have a recording of the bit that was cut?!

Still amazing to be noticed though!
ayyy I heard that!! Wait for the re-upload later, I'm fairly certain it'll be included :D
25/04/2017 - #blessed
autumnhearth
senpai

[offtopic]
somethingsketchy wrote:
lurker wrote:
autumnhearth wrote:Fave HP film Order of the Phoenix (least fave book)
alright i gotta unstan now goodbye everyone it was fun while it lasted
I felt the same when he said his favourite HP book is HBP. No, just, no.
Aww. I like the Umbridge and Weasley Twin musical montages in OotP and when we watch it I find I like it more than I remember, but it's not tops. I like both HBP book and film (he has said before he doesn't like the film) even though they missed a lot of details, it's a visual work of art. At least GoF didn't come up.[/offtopic]
fondsmiles wrote:
autumnhearth wrote: -Fave HP film Order of the Phoenix (least fave book) fave book HBP
(CC. Dan they had a complete cast change...) fondsmiles they saw it in January, see "I have hobbit hair" liveshow
oh thanks i actually remember, i got it confused with hamilton for a second bc i am waiting on opinions on that one

edit: since this wonderful post got top of the page lemme just also say:
pls go vote wherever you are in whatever election you can and also be kind to ppl and be kind to someone today actively, and also drink water. thank you for your attention and goodbye
No prob. They are constantly asked about Hamilton. They have tickets for when it comes to London, but it's not there yet :)
sparklemug wrote:GUYS, he read out my premium today!! But I think it may have been cut for the youtube upload as I can't seem to find it :( It was early on in the show, I was the one who went "it's my birthday! i'm 27 lol" and he said something to the effect of "that's good, someone older than me" and now I'm sad that I don't have this immortalised forever. Does anyone at all have a recording of the bit that was cut?!

I heard him say that! Hopefully it will come through when it's officially uploaded.
Congrats and !!!
onetruetrash
blobfish

saffarina wrote:At the end of the livestream when he was asked whether he'd leave youtube dramatically... was it one of you sneaky weasels asking him ;)
I swear it wasn't me. Very coincidental though. Also I forgot the answer whoops

And congrats about the birthday shoutout sparklemug! I heard that too!
malday
emo goose

it's at @ 5:39 on the youtube recording.

lost686girl
living flop

the commitment comment was interesting. that sneaky smile was great
somethingsketchy
janice from the shop

lost686girl wrote:the commitment comment was interesting. that sneaky smile was great
It was apparently cut out of the YT video, though, which is kind of weird... (and suspicious )

edit: I checked this and it wasn't cut. Never trust strangers on Tumblr.
Last edited by somethingsketchy on Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cringemonkey
drama llama

I desperately want a BBQ with Dan's grandparents fic now...

BTW: Hello everyone! Brianna here and it's my first post and idk what to say now so
onetruetrash
blobfish

somethingsketchy wrote:
lost686girl wrote:the commitment comment was interesting. that sneaky smile was great
It was apparently cut out of the YT video, though, which is kind of weird... (and suspicious )
I was gonna say the same thing

:welcome: cringemonkey!
iihappydaysii
glabella

onetruetrash wrote:
somethingsketchy wrote:

Things get purposely cut out of the YT liveshows? I thought it was just like an accident in the upload?
somethingsketchy
janice from the shop

iihappydaysii wrote:
onetruetrash wrote:
somethingsketchy wrote:

Things get purposely cut out of the YT liveshows? I thought it was just like an accident in the upload?
I replayed the clip and it actually wasn't cut out!
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

The commitment remark pleased me so much. I made a post on tumblr in response to someone asking me about it, and I try to not do this too often but tbh I wish I'd shared my thoughts here first anyway.
I loved that comment because it fully sounded like someone who has been in a long term relationship and understands exactly how terrifying it can be sometimes. Because it can, you know? There’s this person and you love this person and you know this person and your life revolves around this person. There’s even an extra layer to Dan because his career is entwined with this person and they live together and quite literally nothing would be the same in his life if it weren’t for Phil and the existence of Phil and Phil’s willingness to wake up every morning and keep standing beside him, keeping wanting the things that Dan wants.

And the terrifying part is just that you can never fully know someone else, you can never fully be sure that what you have in this moment will be what you have tomorrow. The world can change, people can change, you can change. Commitment isn’t a decision you make once, it’s a decision you make over and over again. If you love the other person enough then staying committed to them means that you’re reaffirming every day that they are, that this is worth the fear and the hesitation and the insecurity and what you have is worth knowing that if you lose this you have to rebuild your life.

Commitment (and all that goes with it) is definitely a topic I think Dan knows a lot about so seeing him acknowledge that even in a small way is such an insight into him.
sparklemug
smol bean

malday wrote:

it's at @ 5:39 on the youtube recording.
Ahhhhhh thankyou for that!!! I thought it was a bit later for some reason haha. :thumb:
aleanna
glabella

alittledizzy wrote:The commitment remark pleased me so much. I made a post on tumblr in response to someone asking me about it, and I try to not do this too often but tbh I wish I'd shared my thoughts here first anyway.
I loved that comment because it fully sounded like someone who has been in a long term relationship and understands exactly how terrifying it can be sometimes. Because it can, you know? There’s this person and you love this person and you know this person and your life revolves around this person. There’s even an extra layer to Dan because his career is entwined with this person and they live together and quite literally nothing would be the same in his life if it weren’t for Phil and the existence of Phil and Phil’s willingness to wake up every morning and keep standing beside him, keeping wanting the things that Dan wants.

And the terrifying part is just that you can never fully know someone else, you can never fully be sure that what you have in this moment will be what you have tomorrow. The world can change, people can change, you can change. Commitment isn’t a decision you make once, it’s a decision you make over and over again. If you love the other person enough then staying committed to them means that you’re reaffirming every day that they are, that this is worth the fear and the hesitation and the insecurity and what you have is worth knowing that if you lose this you have to rebuild your life.

Commitment (and all that goes with it) is definitely a topic I think Dan knows a lot about so seeing him acknowledge that even in a small way is such an insight into him.
I love this so much! I found the commitment remark very interesting, and I'm surprised more people haven't been talking about it here.
Check out my YouTube channel where I post badly edited vlog-things: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4MzLr ... nRQQMRpp6A
iihappydaysii
glabella

Do we have an exact quote for the commitment thing? I haven't been able to watch most of it yet.
SquishPhan
capita£ester

alittledizzy wrote:The commitment remark pleased me so much. I made a post on tumblr in response to someone asking me about it, and I try to not do this too often but tbh I wish I'd shared my thoughts here first anyway.

I too right away thought that he was talking as someone who is in a long term relationship when he talked about how commitment can be scary.

Also sparklemug.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

I personally hope that Dan and Phil both give us weekly updates on their dnd playing because damn I need that in my life so much.

I also love how their stories are different, and they each kind of have a personalized touch, and yet at the same time - weirdly match? I wonder how much backstory fleshing out they did together, just sat in their new silvery lounge bouncing ideas off of each other.
autumnhearth
senpai

iihappydaysii wrote:Do we have an exact quote for the commitment thing? I haven't been able to watch most of it yet.
From alittledizzy's Tumblr:

"Commitment. How’s that going for you? Is it scary or is it fun? It can be terrifying sometimes.”

So glad that you posted it both places, beautiful observations, as always
I was watching on YouTube and the stream froze right after Dan said girlfriend, lol, though I could tell he was responding to someone. I've gone back and rewatched that part now.
cringemonkey wrote:I desperately want a BBQ with Dan's grandparents fic now...

BTW: Hello everyone! Brianna here and it's my first post and idk what to say now so
:welcome: and goodness, me too! I guess I can't blame Dan for not including the floorbecue incident, given the family context, but I really hope Phil talks about it on Thursday.

Oh god. Dan's thumbnail for this liveshow, what a dork. We see right through you Daniel.
dontpanic
#relatable

That was a really pleasant liveshow, it might be one of my favorites for some reason?

I have nothing constructive to add except that Dan said he has pastel pajamas and I find that adorable
droopy
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

alittledizzy wrote:I personally hope that Dan and Phil both give us weekly updates on their dnd playing because damn I need that in my life so much.

I also love how their stories are different, and they each kind of have a personalized touch, and yet at the same time - weirdly match? I wonder how much backstory fleshing out they did together, just sat in their new silvery lounge bouncing ideas off of each other.
From my experience, usually all of the character planning goes on at the beginning of the game, while you're filling out the sheets as a group, although I suppose different people create characters differently. And I'm assuming they're playing somewhere outside the flat, such as the Dungeon Master's house. But yeah, I thought it was funny how their characters paralleled in certain ways, especially with the dramatic handicaps (missing an eye, missing a functioning hand). And how well-suited their characters are for their personalities. I think someone already mentioned this, but Dan's character seems to be a projection, just a wee bit. Meanwhile, Phil's character (which I hope he'll talk about more in his liveshow) is just, "I wanna do magic and I wanna be small."

(Also I know a halfling is different from a dwarf, but I'm getting serious "Legolas and Gimli" vibes from their duo. )

Anyway! Enough nerding from me.

(Hi, by the way, I'm droopy. Nice to meet y'all!)
scientia
phabergé

saffarinda wrote:The oreo story was so funny ohmygod Dan said Phil went away last week, so I'm wondering if he was there whilst Dan's Grandma visited (also, was it just me that picked up on the "When you're living alone"... Phil's clearly back together with Janice again :illuminati
Yeah I definitely noticed the 'living alone' bit as well, I guess he could mean "when you're not living with your parents" but the phrasing was an interesting choice. I really hope Phil talks about where he was! Are we thinking he was away while Dan's grandparents came over?
xaephan
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

scientia wrote:
saffarinda wrote:The oreo story was so funny ohmygod Dan said Phil went away last week, so I'm wondering if he was there whilst Dan's Grandma visited (also, was it just me that picked up on the "When you're living alone"... Phil's clearly back together with Janice again :illuminati
Yeah I definitely noticed the 'living alone' bit as well, I guess he could mean "when you're not living with your parents" but the phrasing was an interesting choice. I really hope Phil talks about where he was! Are we thinking he was away while Dan's grandparents came over?
A few people have touched on this on tumblr (dizzy for sure, I can't remember who else), but Phil was photographed at the train station on Tuesday, so if he was away for a couple of days, it would've been Tuesday/Wednesday, whereas the bbq was over the weekend. It's pretty safe to say Phil was there for it and that's what his tweet about the floorbeque was about.

I also think it's a bit strange how Dan worded it, but his definition of alone is really 'alone with Phil' anyway
if my heart was a compass you'd be north
previously myllakka
iihappydaysii
glabella

scientia wrote:
I do think Dan tends to assume he's talking to younger people most of the time. I've gotten that impression from the live shows I've gone back and watched. I called living without my parents living on my own, despite having always lived with another person (best friend, then husband). Though I guess he said "alone" not "on my own". Regardless, the comment only makes sense in the context of "not with my parents" bc having a roommate or being married etc. wouldn't make it so you didn't have to clean your house your family is visiting. If they weren't living together, leaving the last apt would have been the best time to break that to the audience.
willowgarden
squish

Phil may have been there (a very sweet dessert may have been just brought for engineering the joy of her grandson's friend). Phil may have been away for a few day in order for the grandparents to visit and allow Dan to feel comfortable showing them around the new flat sans tension.

We know virtually nothing about the Howell or Lester family dynamics. Other than Dan apparently has a grandmother to whom he dotes on, and by whom he is doted upon, as has been mentioned multiple times, and Martyn is a trusted business Web designer, as is evidenced by the business IRL YouTube shops expansion.
I don’t know anybody or anything. Please don’t ever talk to me again. Tell everybody to stop talking to me. ~ Kurt Vonnegut
iihappydaysii
glabella

willowgarden wrote:Phil may have been there (a very sweet dessert may have been just brought for engineering the joy of her grandson's friend). Phil may have been away for a few day in order for the grandparents to visit and allow Dan to feel comfortable showing them around the new flat sans tension..
Wasnt Phil gone last week and Dan's grandparents there over the weekend? And Phil's barbecue mess was Sunday. So there was at least some overlap between the grandparents and Phil.