Dan & Phil Part 47: Do it with Dan!

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
fancybum
senpai

Phil and Misc Watch 2017
”Daniel” = Deep Dark and DANK (June 6, 2017)

Prompted Phil Mention
24:12 (chat) Are you clumsy but nice, like Phil said in-
“Oh yeah, Phil’s anime video with Shawna, amazing. Shawna is the only person that’s more anime trash than us that we actually know. Yeah, that’s definitely me"

48:08 (chat) Where’s Phil?
“Downstairs"
Unprompted Phil Mention
28:45 “Tell ya what’s nerdy: Phil and I - are you happy - and some pals decided to play Dungeons & Dragons for the first time"
“My character is a rogue elf prince who’s run away from home because he doesn’t like the way that his dad is strictly governing the elf kingdom”
“He’s sneaky, intelligent and well-educated, but he's never had any real-world experience and also he has a crippled right hand and always wears a glove”
“Phil was like, ‘I wanna be magical’, so he decided he was gonna be a mage or whatever, and then chose halfling because he thought it was cool, and decided to call his character Shazeem (sp?), so Phil, engaging in his role-play fantasy, decided he’d be a magical hobbit called Shazeem who has one eye and black hair and has a phobia of beaks, so that’s Phil’s character”
-beaks? bees? beads?!

31:05 “We’re supposed to be playing this game where our characters are ready to go through any adventure, and I was like, ‘My character has one hand’ and then Phil’s character’s like, 'I have one eye’ so then our friend was just like banging her head against the table, because apparently that’s not how you’re supposed to play D&D"

-I don’t know shit about D&D so turned to my old friend google:
Halfling:
Halflings are an affable and cheerful people. They cherish the bonds of family and friendship as well as the comforts of hearth and home, harboring few dreams of gold or glory. Even adventurers among them usually venture into the world for reasons of community, friendship, wanderlust, or curiosity. They love discovering new things, even simple things, such as an exotic food or an unfamiliar style of clothing.
Though some halflings live out their days in remote agricultural communities, others form nomadic bands that travel constantly, lured by the open road and the wide horizon to discover the wonders of new lands and peoples. But even these wanderers love peace, food, hearth, and home, though home might be a wagon jostling along an old dirt road.

Halflings usually set out on the adventurer’s path to defend their communities, support their friends, or explore a wide and wonder-filled world. For them, adventuring is less a career than an opportunity or sometimes a necessity.
Elf:
Elves live in places of ethereal beauty, in the midst of ancient forests or in silvery spires glittering with faerie light, where soft music drifts through the air and gentle fragrances waft on the breeze. Elves love nature and magic, art and artistry, music and poetry, and the good things of the world.
They are more often amused than excited, and more likely to be curious than greedy. They tend to remain aloof and unfazed by petty happenstance. When pursuing a goal, however, whether adventuring on a mission or learning a new skill or art, elves can be focused and relentless. They are slow to make friends and enemies, and even slower to forget them. They reply to petty insults with disdain and to serious insults with vengeance.

Elves take up adventuring out of wanderlust. Since they are so long-lived, they can enjoy centuries of exploration and discovery. They dislike the pace of human society, which is both regimented from day to day but constantly changes over decades, so they find careers that let them travel freely and set their own pace. Elves also enjoy exercising their martial prowess or gaining greater magical power, and adventuring allows them to do so. Some might join with rebels fighting against oppression, and others might become champions of just causes.
-that’s just some cute and apt shit is all

31:32 (chat) When was the last time you exercised?
“Phil went away for a couple days last week, and I woke up and I was just like ‘I’m bored, you know what I’m going to do? I’m going to spontaneously go to the gym’”

48:10 (chat) How many succs have you got so far?
(counts) “10 personal succulents, and they’re all alive, just saying, #Philindirecting, coming for him to be honest. Yeah, I went there, I absolutely went there."
Neutral Phil Mention
11:30 “As I’m sure most of you have seen, me and Phil have decided to put a shirt on danandphilshop and all the funds raised from it are going to go to Red Cross- ‘Phil and I’, honestly I’m talking about charity right now and you’re correcting my grammar?”
Should change his channel name from danisnotinteresting to pHiL aND i a la spongebob meme “whilst that’s still relevant"
-or he could just ignore this neverending excuse for an inside joke and everyone can stfu

13:35 “There was an idea for a t-shirt that we had a while ago, which was to make a Manchester-themed t-shirt because obviously you know, it’s the city where the origin of Dan and Phil was, it’s where Phil grew up, it’s where I went to university. And it’s one of the reasons why it affected me quite emotionally when what happened happened”
It's available until next Sunday, at which point that design will be “chucked into the fire”

14:55 “There were some misunderstandings” “Just to clarify: a couple of people were like- they obviously didn’t know mine and Phil’s connection to Manchester” and in response to the tweet/image, were like “that’s a bit inappropriate, putting a silhouette of yourself behind the city, like inserting yourself into the situation. And I see why you might think that, but like obviously not, like this is something that would’ve been a nice idea for a 'Dan and Phil’-themed something anyway, because like I said, Manchester is like the Dan and Phil origin city, it’s where we used to live, so it could’ve been a cool piece of Dan and Phil merch anyway. Why not turn it into a charity thing? But I hope you do think it’s a cool Dan and Phil themed shirt, ‘cause I do.”
-well I liked it enough to be okay with being gouged on the shipping cost so there’s that I guess

16:55 Lovely words about the Red Cross/charity that I’m too lazy to type

18:07 “There were some people that were like, ‘Dan and Phil are only doing this to look good’ and it’s like, come on. You can’t be that cynical, obviously not.”

20:28 (chat) When is the next DanAndPhilGAMES video
“We’ll get to that"

42:35 (chat) What is the gaming video tomorrow
A new Switch game with motion controls, “So there was a real risk of me and Phil, Phil and I, punching each other and/or the screen”
-the ‘correction’ wasn’t even correct quick somebody stab me in the eye
Miscellaneous
6:30 “I have an idea for a danisnotonfire video”
(chat) danisnotonfire is dead
“It’ll always be the name of the YT channel, guys”
11:00 "I’ll do a dinof video pending me discovering what font represents my personality and also what state the world is in emotionally"
-and once those are settled, maybe check the phases of the moon and organize all the DVDs in the flat by genre and by lead actor and then of course go through all of Phil’s videos to update any old dinof social media links and then and then and then. bless his heart.

18:20 “Altruism as a concept is pretty rubbish”
“The idea that you shouldn’t feel good about being nice is rubbish, it’s one of those things that puts too much pressure on people’s mental health. If you do nice things for your [friends/family, are a friendly person, help out charities], then you should feel happy and proud of that. People generally in society, we’re way too harsh on ourselves, people are really hostile to each other, people are always trying to bring each other down and find anything to be- whatever.”
“Don’t let anybody say ‘don’t feel good about that bake sale that you did for whatever reason’"

21:10 “It made me realize there’s 3 kinds of people on the internet: there’s crazy conspiracy theorists, people that are secretly violent, and insecure nerds looking for self-esteem”
(reading chat) “A lot of insecure nerds. Ok yep, Mikey. Hanna K said all 3, so did Ben. ‘I am all of them’ okay, Ben, you’re all of them at the same time. What’s that like? That sounds intense."

28ish(on tumblr) (chat) How’s the new apartment?
“It’s good, it’s pretty snazzy. I feel like I very carefully turned this whole apartment into something that I think is quite aesthetically pleasing, and then the background [for] YT that I showed is just like a bit ugly with random trinkets. So I have to try- I’m trying to- Maybe I should just film videos in different locations around the house. That kind of defeats the point. Who knows, I’ll try. Dan’s Aesthetic Quest.”
-just give in to the urge to create a home reno channel, I personally wouldn't trust Phil with a hammer but think of the gore- I mean, think of the views. #DanAndPhilRENO

26:00 "‘What’d you get up to over the weekend?’ thanks for asking Johnny. My grandparents came to visit.”
-yeah thanks Johnny

34:50 (the first Harry Potter book came out when he was 6) “Well there you go, that’s why I read it with my mum. Oh my god, Harry Potter’s been such a big part of my life for so long, that’s crazy."

35:38 "I don’t believe in ghosts. I don’t believe in many things that aren’t proven by science."
36:55 "I do believe in aliens because I think that in an infinite universe, it’s silly to think we are the only life."

37:45 “The re-brand into Daniel doesn’t mean super wholesome and colourful. No, I still wear black, I don’t like colour. If anything, I should be more gloomy. I feel like if anything is ‘my thing’, it’s the whole existential crisis aspect that is my entire universe, so if anything, that should be something that with my content, I should try to reflect more of."

38:30 Existentialism vs Nihilism. We’ve done this so many times before.

42:35 (chat) You should wear a dress
“Who knows. Nothing against it in theory, but what are these ingrained social norms that we all have within us? Little bits of hypnotism, isn’t it."

44:00 [Fucking Vote On Thursday Because The World Is Unrelenting Garbage And It Doesn’t Fucking Have To Be]

45:23 “Us young people, which we are, and I am, despite it being my birthday, we’re the people that need to stand up for ourselves."
"Society is shaped so that young people have less of a good time, they get saddled with student debt, things like mental health funding, if you have national health care, is not prioritized. We probably have friendlier opinions about how the world should be as a global community”
“If all the young people in the world voted as much as the old people in the world, the world would be a completely different place. It would probably be much nicer, to be honest."

49:10 "I am going out to eat on Sunday, so it’ll be fun. Yeah, it’s my birthday, one step closer to death."

49:25 Dan demonstrates a startling lack of understanding of how the thumbs on younow work and greatly miscalculates how many individual people are actually watching at that moment and I can't, I'm out
Phinal Tally: said ‘Phil’ 25 times
~25/54.5mins = 0.45 per min

I'm only here for George; there was no George this week. I want a refund.
Thanks and have a great day! Oil me
cringemonkey
drama llama
Pronouns: she/her

Oh god. Dan's thumbnail for this liveshow, what a dork. We see right through you Daniel.
Ngl - when I saw that thumbnail (that he most likely spent ~2 hours making after his liveshow...) I simultaneously rolled my eyes and breathed loudly through my nose. Oh Daniel

P.S. - I feel so lame rn lmao but can someone explain to me how to quote someone so that their name shows up i.e. _____ wrote:
VengefulBlue
rainbow nerd
Pronouns: they/them

cringemonkey wrote:
Oh god. Dan's thumbnail for this liveshow, what a dork. We see right through you Daniel.
Ngl - when I saw that thumbnail (that he most likely spent ~2 hours making after his liveshow...) I simultaneously rolled my eyes and breathed loudly through my nose. Oh Daniel

P.S. - I feel so lame rn lmao but can someone explain to me how to quote someone so that their name shows up i.e. _____ wrote:
the first bit should look like
cringemonkey wrote: and the end bit is same as usual also great username lol

on the liveshow: all these (from what i've seen) teen girls telling him to wear a dress & freaking out bc his nails are painted again also they think his neck blotch is a hickey ngl that's a cute idea but he probably just itched his neck and it stayed red
cringemonkey
drama llama

Thanks ! @VengefulBlue great username as well
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

fancybum wrote:I'm only here for George; there was no George this week. I want a refund.
Yes, but there was a Stephen, a Stevie, and a Stusan. So did we really lose?

On a less ridiculous note, I really love your posts fancybum and just wanted to let you know I appreciate them.

I hate to use a word that's been abused by the phandom, but today's LS was just very soft and I truly enjoyed it. He covered a lot of important topics in a very eloquent way and also let us in on some fun goings-on in his life. Good. Shit.

Having read out his description of the D&D characters... Damn, they really didn't stray far from themselves, did they? We don't even need to dig deep. Dan's character has a crippled right hand and ran away from home? Phil's has black hair and eye problems? Wild.
alittledizzy wrote:The commitment remark pleased me so much. I made a post on tumblr in response to someone asking me about it, and I try to not do this too often but tbh I wish I'd shared my thoughts here first anyway.
I loved that comment because it fully sounded like someone who has been in a long term relationship and understands exactly how terrifying it can be sometimes. Because it can, you know? There’s this person and you love this person and you know this person and your life revolves around this person. There’s even an extra layer to Dan because his career is entwined with this person and they live together and quite literally nothing would be the same in his life if it weren’t for Phil and the existence of Phil and Phil’s willingness to wake up every morning and keep standing beside him, keeping wanting the things that Dan wants.

And the terrifying part is just that you can never fully know someone else, you can never fully be sure that what you have in this moment will be what you have tomorrow. The world can change, people can change, you can change. Commitment isn’t a decision you make once, it’s a decision you make over and over again. If you love the other person enough then staying committed to them means that you’re reaffirming every day that they are, that this is worth the fear and the hesitation and the insecurity and what you have is worth knowing that if you lose this you have to rebuild your life.

Commitment (and all that goes with it) is definitely a topic I think Dan knows a lot about so seeing him acknowledge that even in a small way is such an insight into him.
Thisthisthis. I wish I had anything else to add. But this.

When he ended the whole thing with a thoughful moment before saying "It can be terrifying sometimes." And like... that's something only someone/knee-deep in commitment says. And it seemed like he considered, for a brief moment, just how far he wanted to jump into that and ended up letting it die there. I'm a wreck tbh.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

rizzo wrote:
fancybum wrote:I'm only here for George; there was no George this week. I want a refund.
Dan saw the timestamps last week, he caught on. Stephen is the new George.
fancybum wrote:13:35 “There was an idea for a t-shirt that we had a while ago, which was to make a Manchester-themed t-shirt because obviously you know, it’s the city where the origin of Dan and Phil was, it’s where Phil grew up, it’s where I went to university. And it’s one of the reasons why it affected me quite emotionally when what happened happened”
It's available until next Sunday, at which point that design will be “chucked into the fire”

14:55 “There were some misunderstandings” “Just to clarify: a couple of people were like- they obviously didn’t know mine and Phil’s connection to Manchester” and in response to the tweet/image, were like “that’s a bit inappropriate, putting a silhouette of yourself behind the city, like inserting yourself into the situation. And I see why you might think that, but like obviously not, like this is something that would’ve been a nice idea for a 'Dan and Phil’-themed something anyway, because like I said, Manchester is like the Dan and Phil origin city, it’s where we used to live, so it could’ve been a cool piece of Dan and Phil merch anyway. Why not turn it into a charity thing? But I hope you do think it’s a cool Dan and Phil themed shirt, ‘cause I do.”
I never really expect Dan to address critique that he gets, so the fact that he full on addressed this kind of pleased me. He came across as very confident in both the concept (charity donation) and the design (of his own making) and he managed to explain his perspective on why the shirt has them on it pretty well.
eel
dank meme

I saw a conversation about what you thought deppy's relationship status was at first and I decided to add my opinion. I started watching them in 2015. Their videos kept on getting recommended to me and I had heard people talk about them at school. When I first watched them I thought they were dating. They just seemed more than friends. I started looking around their channels to find like a boyfriend tag or a video where they confirmed their relationship and obviously had no success. I then found out about the drug deal and stuff like that. I wouldn't necessarily call myself a shipper. I don't think omg they would be so cute together. I just think based on the way they act their is something more than friendship going on between them. My best friends are amazing and I love them to death, but if I was rich and successful I would not want to live with them for years.
Just a fish who loves watching Dan and Phil.
eel
dank meme

I saw a conversation about what you thought deppy's relationship status was at first and I decided to add my opinion. I started watching them in 2015. Their videos kept on getting recommended to me and I had heard people talk about them at school. When I first watched them I thought they were dating. They just seemed more than friends. I started looking around their channels to find like a boyfriend tag or a video where they confirmed their relationship and obviously had no success. I then found out about the drug deal and stuff like that. I wouldn't necessarily call myself a shipper. I don't think omg they would be so cute together. I just think based on the way they act their is something more than friendship going on between them. My best friends are amazing and I love them to death, but if I was rich and successful I would not want to live with them for years.
Just a fish who loves watching Dan and Phil.
pastelspectre
stress mushroom
Pronouns: he/him

so i caught up on dan's liveshows, the one from last week and from today and..goodness. i appreciate this man so much. he had so much discussion about good things and i really appreciate him using the big audience he has to spread more awareness about voting and stuff. he was in such a good mood this liveshow, and i really liked his one from last week as well. a bit laggy but good nonetheless.

i just really appreciate both dan and phil and i'm glad i got back into them
:transheart:
secretagentphan
procrastinator

eel wrote:I saw a conversation about what you thought deppy's relationship status was at first and I decided to add my opinion. I started watching them in 2015. Their videos kept on getting recommended to me and I had heard people talk about them at school. When I first watched them I thought they were dating. They just seemed more than friends. I started looking around their channels to find like a boyfriend tag or a video where they confirmed their relationship and obviously had no success. I then found out about the drug deal and stuff like that. I wouldn't necessarily call myself a shipper. I don't think omg they would be so cute together. I just think based on the way they act their is something more than friendship going on between them. My best friends are amazing and I love them to death, but if I was rich and successful I would not want to live with them for years.
Figured I'd add my thoughts because why not! The first video I saw was in my recommended and it was Dan's shipping video so needless to say right off the bat my impression was "oh this guy gets shipped by crazy Internet people with his friend." Because of all the crazy phan comments that said stuff like them looking at each other was proof they were together, I only further believed there wasn't anything more going on than a friendship. I think my friends and I laughed that they totally banged at least once because of how flirty they used to be in 2009 (as in watching PINOF) but it was never anything I seriously thought was happening. I knew Dan was bi and Phil didn't like to label himself but this still didn't change my view on phan. Because of all the phan edits I didn't think any of the infamous tweets I saw were real even though many of them were.

All of that changed in 2015. I stopped watching them for a few years but gained interest again once I found their gaming channel. I saw a thread of comments yelling at someone for mentioning THE VIDEO and my first thought was "wtf is the video?" Another commenter explained that there is an infamous video that accidentally got released where Phil expressed his love for Dan on valentine's day and it got leaked so they covered it up. I thought that was way too crazy to be real but I looked it up and it was real! After watching it i saw everything differently and thought that a video that intimate feeling had to be real. I found GG to get some more perspective and was SHOCKED to see this thing I used to find so silly had so much proof. Now I'm a demon phannie because of one comment lmao.
Susanisnotafish
flower crown
Pronouns: She/her

Since voldy has been mentioned I'll just add that it and their explanation that it was an April Fool's prank that they decided not to do are the main reasons I believe Phan is real. I find it hard to believe they thought ahead enough to make that video on valentine's day to upload in April when they supposedly came up with the Dan and Phil Crafts idea on April 1.
"Rub those freckles all over me!" --Daniel Howell
fancybum
senpai

alittledizzy wrote:
rizzo wrote:
Dan saw the timestamps last week, he caught on. Stephen is the new George.
I think I'm rooting for Ben to be the new George, I felt more of a connection with him than with Stephen, but first impressions are hard so I'll see how it goes next week when everyone is a little more comfortable with each other.
But deep down I know it's George4Lyfe
alittledizzy wrote:I never really expect Dan to address critique that he gets, so the fact that he full on addressed this kind of pleased me. He came across as very confident in both the concept (charity donation) and the design (of his own making) and he managed to explain his perspective on why the shirt has them on it pretty well.
assertive!Dan rise, or should I say assertive!Daniel because if not completely ignoring every whiff of drama/controversy is part of the rebrand, sign me up even harder.

So hey I took a bullet and watched a Ryland/Shane liveshow tonight (Ryland's looking into starting younow so they were figuring it out) and I have nothing to report. Time well spent, go me..
Actually they asked if any YTers did younow and were told Dan and Phil did it weekly/Dan was on earlier today, and Shane (Ryland too) had a very obvious 'just smile and don't react to anything' face when they were being talked about. So he was making an effort to stay the fuck away from the topic, soo.. maybe that bodes well for the future? Hopefully that's his strategy going forward and we never hear about them from him again. Wishful thinking? I hope not. Let it die.
Thanks and have a great day! Oil me
droopy
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

eel wrote:I saw a conversation about what you thought deppy's relationship status was at first and I decided to add my opinion.
I really enjoyed reading everyone else's "initial relationship opinions" a few pages back, and since it's been brought up again I thought I'd share my thoughts, since they're a little different than what others have said so far.

(It got a bit lengthy, so under the cut it goes.)
Long and short of it, Dan and Phil remind me of me and my sister. Especially late 2016/current 2017 Dan and Phil. The way they interact, for the most part, gives me serious familial vibes. My sister and I are 3 years apart, but we're very close, and don't have that sibling-hatred a lot of our peers had growing up. We loved (and still love) spending time together, being silly, playing video games and talking about life. We understand each other's quirks and thought processes really well. We've lived under the same roof for years and years, so we're very comfortable with each other. We're on each other's team, always. We're protective of each other and we've seen the worst sides of each other. We've seen each other grow and change and mature.

Now, I'm not going to deny that there's some... uh, things Dan and Phil have said/done that I would not say/do to or with my sister (it feels weird to even type that out, but you get what I mean, right?), mostly stuff from the early years. I'm not going to go into all that, because honestly, stuff from 2009/10 is a hot mess that conflicts so heavily with the polished Dan and Phil we see today, so I can't even begin to draw any conclusions from any of it.

But, what I'm trying to say is, the current Dan and Phil seem like family to me. To me, it's more than friendship (even "best friendship") but also not quite romantic/sexual. However, it's also something more than family, because they aren't tied to each other by familial obligation - they got to choose, and they chose each other.

So, yeah. I didn't think they were brothers when I first started watching them (like 2 months ago lol), I was vaguely aware of their existence due to FineBros and stuff, but didn't think their content was for me. When I finally did get around to watching them, I saw them purely as friends; I think, because I somehow knew that they were shipped so much by their fanbase, I was determined not to view them in that light as well. Then I saw that clip from the radio show where Phil gets teary-eyed when he skypes Dan while he's on holiday in Florida, and my heart melted and I felt like there had to be some pretty intense feelings going on. It's the little moments like that one from which I usually draw my vibes (or non-vibes).

But yeah, to me it seems like they got to choose their family, and they chose each other, and that's pretty neat.
somethingsketchy
janice from the shop

droopy wrote:When I finally did get around to watching them, I saw them purely as friends; I think, because I somehow knew that they were shipped so much by their fanbase, I was determined not to view them in that light as well.
This is exactly what I thought at first! I first became aware of on Tumblr as two British guys that made Youtube videos, had a radio show and were heavily shipped together. As everyone knows, shipping in 2013 went along the lines of "THEY LOOKED DIRECTLY AT EACH OTHER, IT MUST BE REAL LOVE" and since real person shipping in general had a bad reputation (*cough*larry*cough*), the shipping aspect may have been the main reason why I didn't start watching them until late 2014/early 2015. At the time, I saw them as best friends and didn't really even want to consider they might be romantically involved because of all the shipping.

It took me two years of casual watching to become invested enough (=disturbed enough by all the fandom references to 2012 and whatnot) to read about how much history they actually have with each other. I can't remember what exactly convinced me, but now I am happy shipper trash.
flarequake
not an airport stalker

I loved the liveshow and it went so quickly, he was so sweet and beautiful, his eyes were just stunning. His brown eyes and brown hair just make me melt sometimes. Also his smile. And his fluffy curly hair. Damn, boy

He was so sweet talking about the charity tshirt and how that person was right, Western people don't often know or make a big deal out of horrible things happening elsewhere in the world.

I loved hearing about their DnD game and the characters they've created. They both surprised me (and I'm still curious which Guild Wars 2 class Phil chose when he made a Sylvari that time, my guess is Ranger for the pet, Elementalist or maybe Necromancer for the magic). I feel for their headdesking friend who's probably the Game Master wondering what she's got herself into with these two, and also probably wondering why she's surprised (totally speculating, obviously).

So many random English boys' names. I kept glancing at the chat to see if I could spot them, but either they'd gone past already or, of course, don't actually exist.

Loved the font talk, Pearl saying Wingdings was funny, and all the stuff about existentialism. He's used the term nihilism enough that I wasn't sure if he identifies with one over the other or was using them interchangeably.
coffeepenguin
rainbow nerd

Loved the ls, full of interesting stuff, the Manchester t-shirt and the charity thing, of course, and then politics and the importance of voting (even if I'm not that convinced that all the young people are necessarily so much better and less prejudiced than "old" people, depends, really). I found it especially interesting that they were thinking about making a Manchester themed t-shirt even before, it's such a complete change of attitude about everything phan and their origin story (I don't want to be a demon about the Wheel of Manchester, but I can't help myself, sorry). It also makes me think that their Japan mearch, even if you can question their use of graphics and the justification they came up with ("you can be subtle about your love of Dan & Phil, nobody understands it"), came from a place of a genuine excitement about sharing something they've wanted for so long, together, with their fans who have supported them through all this time (am I overthinking it? most probably). And it's already been said how gracefully Dan dealt with all the critique about them making the tragedy about themselves

What also really got my attention was the commitment comment, for a second, honestly, it felt like Dan just came out about phan (precision: I'm not waiting for them to do it, I'd be happy for them if they did, but I'm not expecting them to, that's why it felt so sudden for me), I have a very hard time imagining someone who's not in a relationship right now or at least has been in a long term relationship recently saying that. That smile after "are you finding it fun?" is everything

Other stuff:
- Pride month, yay! If after that there are still people who believe he's straight that's commitment
- The barbecue was totally for when Dan's grandparents came to visit (until Phil says otherwise on Thursday and ruins all my fun)
- About Phil's absence and him maybe working on a secret project, I've rewatched Dan's liveshows that he did in February (because I think we can all agree it's a waste of time trying to rewatch Phil's for clues) and I was concentrating very hard, but sadly detected no mention of any potential project whatsoever, he's talked about rebranding, but that's all
- Y'all said it already, but Dan's D&D character sounds so much like a projection, I'm honestly I'd like Phil to be a game master though, he should be great and I think he'll want to talk about it
- I don't care about the names Dan mention and the gender they're associated with, whatever makes him happy
I fell asleep with my clothes on and the lights and everything yesterday rewatching Dan's ls for the commitment comment because no one had posted the timestamps yet and only woke up at 5 a.m., this kind of thing happens to me on a weekly basis, sometimes twice, and that's what prevents me from posting more frequently, ily all, I'm just so exhausted all the time :(
Dan wants to be understood. Phil just wants to make the viewer smile and sell some backpacks (c) fancybum
flarequake
not an airport stalker

On Phil's trip somewhere, my guess was he was visiting the person whose cat sat on his lap and flared up his allergy, but idk.
onetruetrash
blobfish

Susanisnotafish wrote:Since voldy has been mentioned I'll just add that it and their explanation that it was an April Fool's prank that they decided not to do are the main reasons I believe Phan is real. I find it hard to believe they thought ahead enough to make that video on valentine's day to upload in April when they supposedly came up with the Dan and Phil Crafts idea on April 1.
Since voldy is being unmentioned I'm gonna bring up a question I asked earlier because I'm annoying

This has absolutely nothing to do with anything being discussed, but something has been really bugging me lately. Whenever people asked what caused the chaos that was 2012, the go-to answer is always voldy, but the timelines don't seem to match up. The original leak happened on September 17 2011 and everyone says that some people noticed, but it wasn't a big, big deal. People usually credit the second leak as the cause of 2012. But that can't be true! The second leak happened on October 31 2012. There were only two months left in the year, so how does that explain the other 10 months? Maybe the first leak did cause 2012, but if that's true, why does everyone tend to agree no one really cared about the first one that much? And there were still 4 months of 2011. Is there anyone here who was there during the first and second leak who may be able to clear this confusion up?
coffeepenguin
rainbow nerd

onetruetrash wrote:This has absolutely nothing to do with anything being discussed, but something has been really bugging me lately. Whenever people asked what caused the chaos that was 2012, the go-to answer is always voldy, but the timelines don't seem to match up. The original leak happened on September 17 2011 and everyone says that some people noticed, but it wasn't a big, big deal. People usually credit the second leak as the cause of 2012. But that can't be true! The second leak happened on October 31 2012. There were only two months left in the year, so how does that explain the other 10 months? Maybe the first leak did cause 2012, but if that's true, why does everyone tend to agree no one really cared about the first one that much? And there were still 4 months of 2011. Is there anyone here who was there during the first and second leak who may be able to clear this confusion up?
I'm afraid you have to be more specific about what you're referring to as the "chaos that was 2012", I wasn't in the phandom at the time but I'm under the impression that people tend to generalize a lot and expect there to be a strict linear progression of cause to effect while people's reactions to events and reasons for changing attitudes are usually more complicated. I suggest you check out this great topic in the FAQ section: http://indepthbants.com/topic571.html, there's also a ls rewatch thread where many early ls have been covered (note that Phil started doing his in May 2012 and Dan in July) http://indepthbants.com/topic431.html

I'll also quote dizzy who, in my opinion, summed it up pretty well recently
alittledizzy wrote:In my mind, the actions they took in late 2011 through 2013 were because they were closeted, not to a comfortable point of financial or professional stability and afraid of how being outed would impact their career, and most likely just plain not ready for that pressure of being publicly out.
Dan wants to be understood. Phil just wants to make the viewer smile and sell some backpacks (c) fancybum
onetruetrash
blobfish

coffeepenguin wrote:
onetruetrash wrote:This has absolutely nothing to do with anything being discussed, but something has been really bugging me lately. Whenever people asked what caused the chaos that was 2012, the go-to answer is always voldy, but the timelines don't seem to match up. The original leak happened on September 17 2011 and everyone says that some people noticed, but it wasn't a big, big deal. People usually credit the second leak as the cause of 2012. But that can't be true! The second leak happened on October 31 2012. There were only two months left in the year, so how does that explain the other 10 months? Maybe the first leak did cause 2012, but if that's true, why does everyone tend to agree no one really cared about the first one that much? And there were still 4 months of 2011. Is there anyone here who was there during the first and second leak who may be able to clear this confusion up?
I'm afraid you have to be more specific about what you're referring to as the "chaos that was 2012", I wasn't in the phandom at the time but I'm under the impression that people tend to generalize a lot and expect there to be a strict linear progression of cause to effect while people's reactions to events and reasons for changing attitudes are usually more complicated. I suggest you check out this great topic in the FAQ section: http://indepthbants.com/topic571.html, there's also a ls rewatch thread where many early ls have been covered (note that Phil started doing his in May 2012 and Dan in July) http://indepthbants.com/topic431.html

I'll also quote dizzy who, in my opinion, summed it up pretty well recently
alittledizzy wrote:In my mind, the actions they took in late 2011 through 2013 were because they were closeted, not to a comfortable point of financial or professional stability and afraid of how being outed would impact their career, and most likely just plain not ready for that pressure of being publicly out.
The choas that was 2012 was just supposed to refer to Dan's "No Homo Howell" stage.

Asf fas as dizzy's comment, they were already out about their sexualities publicly and seemed to have no problem before. I know their fanbase was smaller, but they didn't show any signs of insecurity.

Edit: Also I loved Dan's response to someone mentioning the cake scene.
adequate duck
cheeky #spon
Pronouns: she/they

onetruetrash wrote:Asf fas as dizzy's comment, they were already out about their sexualities publicly and seemed to have no problem before. I know their fanbase was smaller, but they didn't show any signs of insecurity.
but they weren't risking a move to london and a career on youtube/at the BBC when they made any comments in 2009 or earlier. they were just two boys hanging on the internet chatting amongst "friends". they'd have, what?, thousands of subscribers at the most? did anyone even know in 2009 that making a living as a youtuber could be a thing? or that they'd get a chance on BBC radio? deciding to make a career like they did must have been a big risk, emotionally, financially, personally...

i mean sure, none of this is "proof", but so far as their professional lives depending public support and scrutiny there was a big difference between mid 2009 and 2012.
"don't respect any ducks" - phil lester
onetruetrash
blobfish

adequate duck wrote:
onetruetrash wrote:Asf fas as dizzy's comment, they were already out about their sexualities publicly and seemed to have no problem before. I know their fanbase was smaller, but they didn't show any signs of insecurity.
but they weren't risking a move to london and a career on youtube/at the BBC when they made any comments in 2009 or earlier. they were just two boys hanging on the internet chatting amongst "friends". they'd have, what?, thousands of subscribers at the most? did anyone even know in 2009 that making a living as a youtuber could be a thing? or that they'd get a chance on BBC radio? deciding to make a career like they did must have been a big risk, emotionally, financially, personally...

i mean sure, none of this is "proof", but so far as their professional lives depending public support and scrutiny there was a big difference between mid 2009 and 2012.
Yeah, you're right. Especially risky if you're working with a big company like BBC.
captainspacecoat
stress mushroom

I finally got time to watch Dan's liveshow (my procrastination was taken to a whole new level and I left a 2500 word essay until the day it's due, so I've had no time smh) and omg, I loved it He was in my favourite Dan mood - patient, kind, seemed to genuinely be having a nice time etc. Everyone's mostly mentioned all the best bits, so sorry if this is repetitive/everyone's moved on:

- I loved what he had to say about Manchester, it seemed very genuine and heartfelt.
- His little spiel on altruism was genuinely one of my favourite things he's ever said - it's something I've never thought of before but he's right, there's nothing wrong with feeling good about doing something kind.
- He also responded really well to messages of thanks/appreciation, whereas sometimes he can be kind of sarcastic about them. He seemed to genuinely appreciate the kind words, which was nice.
- Dan and I have opposite Harry Potter opinions - Order of the Phoenix is my fave book and least fave movie.
- His grandma story was really cute, I think it's sweet that he has such a good relationship with his grandparents and I laughed a lot at Oréo.
- I relate so hard to his exercise fail, I recently exercised for the first time in like years and couldn't walk for three days afterward, not fun.
- I know nothing about Dungeons and Dragons but the way he talked about his and Phil's characters was really sweet, and damn whoever said they were projecting, too real.
- Telling everyone to vote and chatting about how young people are the key to a more "friendly" world, and wishing everyone a happy Pride, and actually answering "Where's Phil?" and his little 'commitment can be tricky' grin etc etc etc idk i just feel really fond of him, he's a sweetpea

re: what really caused 2012 - I can't say for sure as I found dnp in December 2012 so right at the tail end, but I do think their rapidly growing subscriber base and their newfound connections with the BBC were probably the main contributors. A lot of the behaviour that gets attributed to 2012 was still occurring in 2013 from what I remember, and I'd say it was a combination of them being young, and suddenly thrust into the spotlight, and all the pressure that put on their public image in order to make their careers work. Voldy didn't just leak twice and then disappear, it was constantly cycling around and constantly being met with copyright claims, and I'm sure it felt like not only a violation of their privacy but also a huge threat to their public image, which exacerbated their "no-homoing" or whatever you want to call it (not a huge fan of that term but my brain is absolute mush after writing so much essay today that I can not do words).
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

adequate duck wrote:

Seconding everything duck said. And it's also just easier to feel brave when you're younger and the consequences are less real world, especially when you're basically just saying it to the internet. The older you get the more perspective on the world you get and the more you realize that sometimes honesty with yourself, about your life, can have far reaching negative impact.

But I also do think that "2012" as a bad time is just hugely, hugely generalized. There were lots of really cute things they did in 2012, like going to Vegas for Dan's birthday and moving to London together and vlogging at Universal and the Manchester DITL and this liveshow bit of them playing the piano together and this whole adorable Toxic part where Phil is sick and The Wardrobe and I could go on, my point is that a lot of cute moments still happened that year. Even beyond picking out small moments, in the grand scheme of them Dan and Phil made a pretty huge leap of commitment with each other that year.

Yeah, it was definitely a time with a lot of tension suddenly made visible to/directed at us - specifically the customer service blog - but all that says to me is the bigger the stakes, the more stressful something is. For Dan, the stakes were pretty high: he dropped out of university a year before, he was barely 21, he was moving to a new city to try for a new job, and on top of those things that are very stressful by themselves he had to deal with a massive upswing in audience - and along with that comes a massive upswing in both praise and hate, neither of which he handled that well. The video leaking and a closeted relationship are just pieces of the overall puzzle of their lives that year, to me. And, as captainspacecoat said, a lot of what gets labeled '2012' in large foreboding letters in people's mind was actually more into 2013 - which makes sense considering that's when they were in the make or break position with BBC determining if their show was worth keeping.
saffarinda
truth bomb

Agree with everything about 2012. I feel like people over exaggerate it a bit. Plus, I don't think Dan and Phil's relationship was weakened or strained (like many people + fanfic seem to believe), it's just that their relationship in front of their audience, and how they responded to questions regarding their relationship was tense. Dan was annoyed with his audience, not Phil (as far as I'm aware). Plus, they moved to London together in 2012 - that's a pretty big step to take if they weren't friendly with one another at the time imo.

[offtopic]I just wanna say ty for all the replies regarding what your inital impressions of dnp's relationship was when you first watched! I usually have so many questions I want to ask people who watch dnp and I've never really had the opportunity to before, this probs sounds p lame but seriously tysm everyone [/offtopic]
25/04/2017 - #blessed