Dan & Phil Part 47: Do it with Dan!

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
kalli
butt chair

Isn't this like the 3rd or 4th video Phil has done reading out messages from his teen years with online girlfriends? This video sort of feels like old content to me, so I didn't enjoy it that much

As much as I'd appreciate a drift toward more mature content, I'm not sure a tinder soon is the best way to do it. I've never used it, but I have a couple friends who have/do and it's main use certainly isn't to just chat or set up dates. You'd have a hard time finding someone who genuinely wants something other than to hook up, and more often than not, people who claim to only want to hang out have other intentions. Definitely don't use it if you're under 18 and/or unaware of how people actually use the app. If you do use it, make sure you look out for yourself and make safe choices.
Catallena wrote:Honestly though, when I read that it was sponsored by Tinder I had horror flashbacks of the time D&P promoted a dating website back when they lived in Manchester and tried to make us believe that their asses really went on dates so this video really could've been so much worse.
The same thing crossed my mind. Even though I didn't really like the video, I'm thankful there were no fake dates in it... Although fake guinea pig dates would have been fine
papierklemmen wrote: [offtopic]speaking of sexualities, thomas sanders confirmed he's gay in his latest video. i remember he & his (bf?)friend were sometimes compared to deppy but i guess at the time everyone thought thomas was bisexual.
he says a lot of the confusion about his sexuality came from the fact that he would make vines about being bisexual & about gay and he never thought it was relevant to his comedy so he wanted to switch it around but he thinks he should have been clearer.
oops @ me, i really did think he was bi!
around 13:20-14:20
[/offtopic]
[offtopic]That video is so lovely

It's been pretty clear for a while that Thomas and Leo are a couple, so let's just take a moment to appreciate how adorable they are and how beautiful this photoshoot is
[tumblr] <div class="tumblr-post" data-href="https://embed.tumblr.com/embed/post/GDn ... 9085874943" data-did="05daf0e10d409894a580e546ce5a1f9b6cc496dc">[/tumblr]
[/offtopic]
RiriPandaHeart2
phabergé

kalli wrote: It's been pretty clear for a while that Thomas and Leo are a couple, so let's just take a moment to appreciate how adorable they are and how beautiful this photoshoot is
[offtopic]
Sorry for being offtopic and this question being not about D&P but I've always loved Leo and Thomas together and i was wondering if they're still together? Cause the last pictures they have of each other was Dec 2016 for Leo and February 17 this year for Thomas. I really hope they're still together cause they're so cute together.
[/offtopic]
P: What are you doing?

D: I'm feeding it to you.

P: Why is it so slow?
lurker
janice from the shop
Pronouns: they/them

isn't it common for spon videos to have a (negotiable) defined mention of the product and specifications what to say about it? i don't really know much about it, but i was thinking about the video again and for some reason, the "you don't have to be looking for your soulmate..." sentence sounds so much like a strapline to me that i'm inclined to think that it was something tinder insisted on/suggested. maybe that's part of why the tone of the video felt somewhat inconsitent to some? i'd have to rewatch, but i was surprised at that part so maybe that's where the shift of tone from "here's this funny story of when i was 13" to ~business mode, getting that sweet cash~ happens? and it might also be why some people here have mentioned that they felt like the spon and the topic of the video didn't quite work well together. now i'm thinking, maybe phil could have come up with a different ending/transition that tied back more to the actual content instead. of course there isn't much of an actual connection, but maybe something along the lines of "this was an example of what not to do, thankfully we've all grown up since the early 2000s" might have worked...? but it makes me wonder, too, if maybe there was something slightly more elegant or funny and tinder wanted a more direct #spon.

in other news i'm waiting for the internet to edit phil's commentary over some of his old dailybooths...cough.
thank's you were great
lavenderpetals
butt chair
Pronouns: They/Them

Long time no see idb! I found the Phil video, just ok. Sure it did give me a few laughs right here and there. But overall it felt nothing really special to me. I might do a rewatch soon so my opinion may change.

I feel like most people have said what I wanted to say in regards to the whole video as an 'ad' and it's a bit strange to advertise tinder, when I feel that a majority of his viewers are teens that can't (and shouldn't) be using an online dating service. However, I also get the fact that Phil is a thirty year old man now and probably wants to try and also appeal to an older demographic. And while like others have stated I do appretiate the move towards a more mature content variation, I have to question if tinder is really the way to go as well. Many of my friends have used the app a long time ago thinking it was a great way to start online dating and were disappointed that people just wanted to hook up instead. (I mean tinder does have that reputation now.) However, if you are younger and a teenager it may not be the best idea to sign up (i'm sure there's also an age limitation on the app). However, if you do so wish to use tinder just remember to stay safe and don't do anything risky.
fancybum
senpai

My own feelings on this spon aside, I'm not pearl-clutching over the 'maturity' of the app. None of his fans are going to be shocked or unaware about hook-up culture and based on the amount of catfishing edits (involving D&P) I've seen of these kinds of apps, a lot of them are messing around on them anyway (although those people are probably under 18, but whatever, the internet's going to internet). And the demographic thing? Soo many fans are over 18. If this was a spon for .. fidget-spinners (? I don't know what children are into these days), wouldn't everybody be saying the opposite: "wow Phil, not all of your fans are 12". Clearly he has enough older fans to make bank on sponning an 18+ app, so why not. One product won't ever appeal to 100% of his audience and so even if it's for a payday, it's cool he's acknowledging that more than just 13-17s are watching. Still can't watch it though.

Also lol @ needing to 'disclose' sexuality and relationship status to spon a shitty dating app properly.

Kind of can't wait to see what Dan says about it in the liveshow though. Set us up for his own... or make fun of it because he passed on the opportunity lol. I'm kind of in the mood for 'I-have-too-much-integrity-for-spon!Dan' (mmm pretension), but it could easily be 'have-cake-will-eat!Dan' (mmm money). Let's find out
Thanks and have a great day! Oil me
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie
Pronouns: she/her

So the Tinder spon video will eclipse his last collab with Shawna in view count very, very shortly - it's within 30k right now. Ouch. (But not really.)
fancybum wrote:If this was a spon for .. fidget-spinners (? I don't know what children are into these days), wouldn't everybody be saying the opposite: "wow Phil, not all of your fans are 12". Clearly he has enough older fans to make bank on sponning an 18+ app, so why not. One product won't ever appeal to 100% of his audience and so even if it's for a payday, it's cool he's acknowledging that more than just 13-17s are watching.
This is definitely how I feel about it. It's a lose/lose for him, as it is for both of them so often, but in this case I'm glad he went on and took the risk (however much a risk it really is, I mean he might have some fussy fans but his bank account still flourishes).
kalli wrote:Isn't this like the 3rd or 4th video Phil has done reading out messages from his teen years with online girlfriends? This video sort of feels like old content to me, so I didn't enjoy it that much
I would say a reused concept, not old content. The content itself was new; it's just a format he likes and uses every couple of years. Not that strange, I mean look at Dan with his ISG or how on the gaming channel they'll come back and play the same game multiple times. If a youtuber finds something that works decently well once and they have the chance to do it again they're probably gonna do it again.
onetruetrash
blobfish

Re: Bisexuality - Who's to say he even flirted with any guys back then? I don't recall him making mentions of male attraction up until late 2008 or early 2009, even you can even count that. He has said that he is, in fact, bisexual, but doesn't like to label himself, so I don't see why he needs to bring it up in a video. Bisexuality doesn't mean he is only should make male attraction mentions. The female ones are just as valid.

Re: Tinder spon - When I saw it was a Tinder soon, I didn't think anything of it. I mean, I just didn't find it that weird. Many YouTubers do spons for things they don't actually use. Pretty sure barely anyone who was sponsored by Best Fiends or Audible actually used the things they advertised. And there is a rather large 18+ audience or at least larger than I originally thought. I'm pretty sure most people my age know what Tinder is and probably won't use it just because Phil sponsored it.
Birdie
blobfish

Phantasy wrote:And while the non-gender specific reference to "people" is appreciated, part of me is still left with the feeling that Phil is contributing to his own form of bi-erasure. I mean if any casual viewer watches this, I'd imagine that they would be left with no indication whatsoever to believe that Phil was and is anything but a heterosexual male.
Phantasy wrote:Fair rebuttal and argument well received, but the crux of my point wasn't the fact it was a girl he corresponded with way back when and therefore by the laws of bi-identity he must balance the scale with male attraction mentions; it was given the context of the video as spon for an adult dating app, perhaps there should be a bit (just a bit) of transparency that adult Phil is, by most reckoning, in a committed relationship with his male partner of 8 years and has otherwise stated that although he doesn't like labels, he is indeed bi and has in all likelyhood never seriously used previously or have a need now for a dating app—omission outright just leaves me with a somewhat disingenuous after-taste.
Dude, what? What's he supposed to do, mention he likes boys too everytime he talks about liking a girl? How is that fair? Bisexuals don't have to walk around reminding everyone they're bi, whether they're dating a man or a woman or no one at the time. This video was about his old internet girlfriend and he has no obligation whatsoever to remind people he likes men too - especially not in the context of the video and since he's not techincally out as bi anyway. Phil has no obligation to disclose his sexuality in any way. If he was comfortable with doing that, he'd have talked about it a long time ago. But he hasn't and I don't see him doing it in the future either. And he doesn't have to. He's a real person and he deserves that kind of privacy if that's what he wants.

How is not wanting to talk about your own sexuality in detail bi-erasure? Phil is a real human being, not a character on a TV show written by straight people erasing their bisexuality or something. If he doesn't want to talk about being bi or whatever, that's his damn right. He doesn't owe us a coming out or an explanation and he sure as hell doesn't owe us any transparency when it comes to his maybe-relationship with Dan that has not been confirmed, no matter how much we want to believe. I'm sorry for bringing this up again but I just had to say my two cents, this kind of attitude that the guys owe us explanations regarding their personal lives just bugs me. They don't. And that doesn't make it bi-erasure or whatever since they're real people.
Last edited by Birdie on Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

alittledizzy wrote:So the Tinder spon video will eclipse his last collab with Shawna in view count very, very shortly - it's within 30k right now. Ouch. (But not really.)
fancybum wrote:If this was a spon for .. fidget-spinners (? I don't know what children are into these days), wouldn't everybody be saying the opposite: "wow Phil, not all of your fans are 12". Clearly he has enough older fans to make bank on sponning an 18+ app, so why not. One product won't ever appeal to 100% of his audience and so even if it's for a payday, it's cool he's acknowledging that more than just 13-17s are watching.
This is definitely how I feel about it. It's a lose/lose for him, as it is for both of them so often, but in this case I'm glad he went on and took the risk (however much a risk it really is, I mean he might have some fussy fans but his bank account still flourishes).
Re: Beating the Shawna collab. I love it. I love it.

In thinking about the audience problem here, I think I'm more bothered by the fact that this video, without the spon, seems targeted to a younger demographic. So what ends up happening is that it essentially promotes an 18+ app to people who probs shouldn't be downloading it.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not discounting all of us above 18 who will happily eat up anything Phil gives us. I just think that there's a really strange juxtaposition between content and spon here. I don't think anyone would have complained if the content of the video was a bit more mature while promoting Tinder. In fact, I think a lot of folks would be celebrating. Instead, it just feels like 2 halves of a very uncomfortable whole.
saffarinda
truth bomb

Honestly, dnp's older fanbase is there - they just remain fairly silent in comparison to the younger viewers. Perhaps because they don't have enough time? Perhaps because they don't fancy chatting to younger viewers? Who knows. Either way, Phil wouldn't have done it if he felt it could apply to nobody on his channel - he knows his demographics better than us.

Also idk why he would need to mention his sexuality in a spon? Or at all tbh. I've actually had a feeling for awhile that dnp don't want to highlight their sexualities (whatever they may be) simply because they don't want to be catagorised by then. Acceptance of sexuality has become much better, but people are still labelled and defined by them. Take Tyler Oakley for example; how many people who don't watch him probably label him as the "gay youtuber with the colourful hair". Wouldn't be surprised if Dan and Phil want their brand to be more than their sexualities, so avoid discussing it for that reason.
or maybe i'm just projecting, it's the reason i don't come out to my school.
i'm pretty sure dan will make a mocking integrity joke - which i'm fine with. one of my fave things phil has said was when he said "It's AmazingPhil, there's no integrity here" that's the self deprication i'm here for
[offtopic]offtopic but i had my final GCSE maths exam, it was shit and i cried after it so i got an uber home and i've just been exhausted watching dan and phil and occasionally revising some history. it's times like this where i srysly appreciate them tbh (oops was that too soppy? ah well, i'm tired).[/offtopic]
25/04/2017 - #blessed
DatCog
blobfish

rizzo wrote:
In thinking about the audience problem here, I think I'm more bothered by the fact that this video, without the spon, seems targeted to a younger demographic. So what ends up happening is that it essentially promotes an 18+ app to people who probs shouldn't be downloading it.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not discounting all of us above 18 who will happily eat up anything Phil gives us. I just think that there's a really strange juxtaposition between content and spon here. I don't think anyone would have complained if the content of the video was a bit more mature while promoting Tinder. In fact, I think a lot of folks would be celebrating. Instead, it just feels like 2 halves of a very uncomfortable whole.
This is how I'm feeling right now. My 11 year old daughter LOVES Phil's chat log videos and watches them time and time again. She finds the chat-speak hilarious! I know she'd love this new video but clearly is way too young for Tinder so I'm not sure at this point whether to let her watch it...tbh she probably wouldn't even register the spon bits and she's not allowed to add apps on her phone without my permission! :D
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

rizzo wrote:In thinking about the audience problem here, I think I'm more bothered by the fact that this video, without the spon, seems targeted to a younger demographic. So what ends up happening is that it essentially promotes an 18+ app to people who probs shouldn't be downloading it
To me, the video content and the app promotion were two separate things within the same video - but neither were geared at a young audience, imo. What 14 year old is out there also reminiscing about how embarrassing they were when they were 14? Being nostalgia about being stupid when you were a teenager is totally something that people in our general age demographic do, not actual teenagers.

If he'd made a video about how he catfishes young girls on Neopets or whatever website is applicable right now because it's funny to him to do now then I'd say someone call the police he was targeting the younger demographic. (Obviously this doesn't preclude younger people still enjoying the video, but just because someone enjoys it doesn't mean it's aimed at them specifically.)
onetruetrash
blobfish

SneakyLizard
butt chair

alittledizzy wrote: To me, the video content and the app promotion were two separate things within the same video - but neither were geared at a young audience, imo. What 14 year old is out there also reminiscing about how embarrassing they were when they were 14? Being nostalgia about being stupid when you were a teenager is totally something that people in our general age demographic do, not actual teenagers.
Very good point about reminiscing and intended audience. I didn't think of that before but it's absolutely true.

I really enjoyed the video, even though I am not a tinder fan. It did seem an odd spon to choose, simply because of that hookup culture that was mentioned previously in the thread not really jiving with the image he's cultivated online, but it didn't stop me from watching three times (I just love watching him laugh.)

It occurs to me that Phil, being the smart cookie he is, may be testing the waters. Undoubtedly he reads what people say about a video on comments and forums, and using something a little controversial like this app may be an interesting indicator of how his audience would receive a more mature version of AmazingPhil. It's unsubtle enough to really get people talking, expressing opinions that he can then evaluate. Just a thought
we walk among you
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

alittledizzy wrote:
rizzo wrote:In thinking about the audience problem here, I think I'm more bothered by the fact that this video, without the spon, seems targeted to a younger demographic. So what ends up happening is that it essentially promotes an 18+ app to people who probs shouldn't be downloading it
To me, the video content and the app promotion were two separate things within the same video - but neither were geared at a young audience, imo. What 14 year old is out there also reminiscing about how embarrassing they were when they were 14? Being nostalgia about being stupid when you were a teenager is totally something that people in our general age demographic do, not actual teenagers.

If he'd made a video about how he catfishes young girls on Neopets or whatever website is applicable right now because it's funny to him to do now then I'd say someone call the police he was targeting the younger demographic. (Obviously this doesn't preclude younger people still enjoying the video, but just because someone enjoys it doesn't mean it's aimed at them specifically.)
I don't think content has to be nostalgic/relatable to be geared to a specific demo. Maybe I'm reading the phandom wrong or just projecting, but I've always viewed Phil's "reading old messages"/"weird kid" content as something that was more for a younger audience. Teens can find that entertaining without ever having gone through it themselves. After all, what was the age group of people who popped up on "Why I was a Weird Kid"?

Sure, maybe people over 18 find it more relatable, but again, I don't see that as a good segue to sell Tinder. In which case, you're right, the video was 2 separate things. And that's basically what I'm saying. It's weird.
SquishPhan
capita£ester

onetruetrash wrote:
Phil worries me.

And yeah I don't see how Phil's latest vid is aimed at a young audience either.
onetruetrash
blobfish

Random, but when are y'all gonna change the banner?
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

onetruetrash wrote:Random, but when are y'all gonna change the banner?
If Phil had a birthday month, IDB can at least help Dan have a birthday week. :)
onetruetrash
blobfish

alittledizzy wrote:
onetruetrash wrote:Random, but when are y'all gonna change the banner?
If Phil had a birthday month, IDB can at least help Dan have a birthday week. :)
Well, I didn't know Phil had a birthday month.
onetruetrash
blobfish

I just realized Phil's latest video has surpassed the collab with Shawna in views. Ngl pretty happy about it.
DatCog
blobfish

Looks like Dan is keeping up with the Nintendo E3 announcements!
Am also pleased that the new Phil vid has passed the Shawna collab in views :thumb:
JustMe
living flop
Pronouns: She/her

papierklemmen wrote:i'm more confused at the idea of someone so private about their personal life doing an ad for tinder than anything. you do you, mate, but i feel like it's more genuine when it comes from youtubers who are open about dating & actually using tinder. not that i enjoyed those ads but at least they were understandable. w/e. the mesh of phil as a weird kid and tinder ad is something else.
I agree, the whole video made me uncomfortable. It wasn't that bad but I didn't really enjoy it.
~ I'll be bold as well as strong and use my head alongside my heart ~
dans left hand
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

sapienveneficus wrote: I think the only conspiracy about their new place that holds any water is the one surrounding Phil's beardroom.
beardroom

thats the best thing i have ever heard

also i do think on the other end of the "different apartments" spectrum, that phil's room is a beardroom and they now share a room

sorry if that should go in the conspiracy thread^
colickygoat
phillion/danosaur <//3

Glad to see that swanky banner still up, everytime I see Jeremy Corbyn I have a good giggle.

re Phils tinder spon : I really liked it! I almost didn't watch it as I suffer from chronic second hand embarrassment, but it wasn't that bad, watching his reactions was the most entertaining part.

It does remind me of his older content - that's probably why I enjoyed it so much.

omg thinking back to all those awkward flirtations guys had subjected me to and realizing Phil was one of those types :wtf:

bless him

When I saw "tinder" pop up in the corner of my screen I had to pause the video so that I could finish cackle laughing Not sure why - guess Phil and tinder make such an odd pairing it seems that someone in tinder's marketing department didn't quite do their research. (would love to have been a fly on the wall in that marketing meeting when they finally see Phil's final product and he manages to take money from them without actually advertising the product they hired him to advertise )

But to be fair, the main reason it feels so odd to me is because I take it as fact that Dingleberry and Peanut are a couple (which may not even be the case) so the Peanut would have absolutely no use for the app.

Tinder never struck me as "too adult" for Phil as he's a grown man. I mean technically you could use it to find platonic friendship ( a friend of mine tried this oh god the misunderstandings ) It's not like he's become the national spokesman for cherry lube or something...

Um yeah...don't see how disclosing his sexuality should be a prerequisite for telling us about this girl he used to fancy. I mean, that kind of defeats the point of being in the closet. At least this time around he didn't claim to be single or that he went on an actual date.

My friend and I snuck onto dating websites when we were 13 and tried to catfish some adults ( who were probably also teenagers trying to catfish adults) Back then the internet was still a novelty rather than an intrinsic part of everyday life. Everyone was having fun pretending to be someone else. This was before skype or facetime or any of those apps that made communicating over the internet safer and easier. Those creepy old men living in basements that D&P keep mentioning were a bit of a threat back then.

Re his video with Shawna : ah the quiet slow burn of the phandom's cold shoulder

I was scrolling through the comments on the vid the other day and I couldn't help but be curious : There didn't seem to be any comments regarding Shawna's stance on gay marriage. Now perhaps this is just us "agreeing to live and let live ", "taking the moral high ground" you know, but let's be real... Ever since Shawna had started deleting comments below her own vid, I had wondered how P would deal with the inevitable backlash in his comment section . Whether he would allow us to say whatever or whether he would perhaps go as far as disabling comments. Ok disabling comments would have drawn too much attention...but is it possible he censored the comment section ?
lurker
janice from the shop

colickygoat wrote:I was scrolling through the comments on the vid the other day and I couldn't help but be curious : There didn't seem to be any comments regarding Shawna's stance on gay marriage. Now perhaps this is just us "agreeing to live and let live ", "taking the moral high ground" you know, but let's be real... Ever since Shawna had started deleting comments below her own vid, I had wondered how P would deal with the inevitable backlash in his comment section . Whether he would allow us to say whatever or whether he would perhaps go as far as disabling comments. Ok disabling comments would have drawn too much attention...but is it possible he censored the comment section ?
i was wondering the same thing, but i have no idea how much work that'd be. or is it possible to blacklist certain words? would a user whose comment was deleted get a notification? (because if yes, i'd suspect someone would have drawn attention to it by now) does anyone happen to know more about this?

phil's video is currently #10 on trending. bless him, maybe he'll get himself a permanent contract with tinder but with some of you commenting that it might be a step on the way of some change in content or tone on his channel it sounds like a positive signal to me.
i was actually wondering whether the title + description (paid promotion for tinder) would lure in viewers due to the possible implication that he'd be talking about more recent dating activities? or the shock value that it's phil of all people who's promoting tinder? but idk if that's the case, it only occured to me to check the comment section and there seem to be mostly people finding it funny that tinder chose phil to do that, being amazed that phil was a fuckboy, commenting on funny parts, and some rare honorable jealous!dan and innocent anglebean!phil mentions.
Last edited by lurker on Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
thank's you were great