Dan & Phil Part 47: Do it with Dan!

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
plath
sofa crease

The lag was horrendous, oh my gosh.

I couldn't watch it live so I watched it back on youtube an hour later and the first 20 mins were fine but everything out of that was so out of sync, it actually made me nauseous watching it. I had to close my eyes and just listen because it was giving me motion sickness or something, idk. It was so strange, it seemed like the audio was about five minutes behind the video? So I watched Dan showing off his jacket etc. while the audio was talking about something else entirely...then finally I got the audio description of the jacket...when he was just sat there...ugh, not a great experience.

I really hope he does get a decent quality webcam. The video on his phone is much better but the audio is so terrible. It's 2k17, give me that crisp AudioVisual Experience™ Daniel Howell!!!

I was looking forward to the liveshow so much, I've missed him! It was still nice to catch up with him a bit. I agree that the liveshow seemed rushed, but I think that's just because there was so much for him to cover - Florida trip, multiple video uploads, current events, music/tv show releases...that's a lot for an hour. I think he did a good job of making time for everything.

I'm sad for you guys who wanted to go and see them at SITC. I've no interest in that sort of thing but I don't think they should neglect their UK fans just because foreign trips are more exciting and give the opportunity of travel or whatever. Like, sure the UK is boring and rainy and crap, but we deserve some attention too! lol

I hope we get a couple of regular liveshows before he heads off back on his travels again.
nope.
Birdie
blobfish
Pronouns: they/them

saffarinda wrote:Him talking about how he would have loved Shelley and Byron, like Percy Shelley okay I can 100% understand that, him and his atheism give me life - getting kicked out of Oxford for his atheist views is dedication I respect and find funny (also i like Ozymandias), but Lord Byron?? C'mon Dan u can do better, I can't deal with his promiscuous, somewhat incestuous shiz.
How can you not love Lord Bi-ron? His antics give me life. Nah, I don’t think I would have liked Byron as a person but with 200 years of history between us I think he’s amazing, really interesting. Also his poetry is wonderful. I kind of really like that Dan likes the Romantic poets, I wouldn’t have expected that. (I’m joking of course, I get why people hate Byron.)

(what a useless post, sorry)
onetruetrash
blobfish

saffarinda wrote:With regards to general philosophy and other topics akin to it - whilst I'd really love for Dan to do a main channel video regarding subjects such as those, I'm not sure what the likelihood is, simply due to the fact that his content on that channel is viewed by more than just his dedicated fanbase; I'm not sure how receptive his general audience would be.

I thought of this because I watched an Emma Blackery video (maybe it was on a side channel idk) where she looked at her stats and commented on them. I usually don't watch her (or like her, I can't deal with the drama) but I haven't seen any other youtubers open up their statistics, makings, subscriber and view counts so I felt it would be interesting. She shows a decline in her main channel with views and subscribers, and stated that posting her own music on her main channel was one of the biggest mistakes she's ever made with it (I may be paraphrasing, I watched the video a month or so ago - glance over it, it's fairly interesting).

So I'm not sure whether Dan would risk the potential general audience backlash considering other youtubers have done content that differs from their usual content and made a loss as a result

[offtopic]Youtubers lose so much through adblock ohmygod! One of the things that stuck out from Emma's video was the sheer amount they lost because of people blocking the ad's, I didn't think that many people used it wow.[/offtopic]
Yeah, I watched that too! I was surprised that she was even allowed to talk about the money she makes because in the past, people just seemed so secretive to the point where I thought it was YouTube's rules or something. (Also, yes it was on the side channel)

I'm never using AdBlock again after that video.
saffarinda
truth bomb
Pronouns: she/her

Katka wrote:
saffarinda wrote:Him talking about how he would have loved Shelley and Byron, like Percy Shelley okay I can 100% understand that, him and his atheism give me life - getting kicked out of Oxford for his atheist views is dedication I respect and find funny (also i like Ozymandias), but Lord Byron?? C'mon Dan u can do better, I can't deal with his promiscuous, somewhat incestuous shiz.
How can you not love Lord Bi-ron? His antics give me life. Nah, I don’t think I would have liked Byron as a person but with 200 years of history between us I think he’s amazing, really interesting. Also his poetry is wonderful. I kind of really like that Dan likes the Romantic poets, I wouldn’t have expected that. (I’m joking of course, I get why people hate Byron.)

(what a useless post, sorry)
I'm probably being a bit unfair to our old lad Lord Byron, Percy Shelley was p promiscuous too (his poor ex-wife n Mary's step-sister) - but I'm aite with his polygamy. It's probs more bias due to the fact that I prefer Shelley's poetry over Byron's, but the rumours about them all are so funny okay maybe im being an english nerd rn ah well

He is really interesting though, and I love the fact that Dan likes them (Dan did mention studying Frankenstein by Mary Shelley - so he probably studied the trio in English Lit at A-Level).

it's not useless to me

onetruetrash wrote:
saffarinda wrote:With regards to general philosophy and other topics akin to it - whilst I'd really love for Dan to do a main channel video regarding subjects such as those, I'm not sure what the likelihood is, simply due to the fact that his content on that channel is viewed by more than just his dedicated fanbase; I'm not sure how receptive his general audience would be.

I thought of this because I watched an Emma Blackery video (maybe it was on a side channel idk) where she looked at her stats and commented on them. I usually don't watch her (or like her, I can't deal with the drama) but I haven't seen any other youtubers open up their statistics, makings, subscriber and view counts so I felt it would be interesting. She shows a decline in her main channel with views and subscribers, and stated that posting her own music on her main channel was one of the biggest mistakes she's ever made with it (I may be paraphrasing, I watched the video a month or so ago - glance over it, it's fairly interesting).

So I'm not sure whether Dan would risk the potential general audience backlash considering other youtubers have done content that differs from their usual content and made a loss as a result

[offtopic]Youtubers lose so much through adblock ohmygod! One of the things that stuck out from Emma's video was the sheer amount they lost because of people blocking the ad's, I didn't think that many people used it wow.[/offtopic]
Yeah, I watched that too! I was surprised that she was even allowed to talk about the money she makes because in the past, people just seemed so secretive to the point where I thought it was YouTube's rules or something. (Also, yes it was on the side channel)

I think people being secretive is that it would create a gap between them and the audience if they saw the amount they were making - plus, people may be more hesitant to purchase merchandise if they can see how much they're already making. I know a fair few people that just consider it rude to ask people how much they make, some of my friends don't even know their parents wages which I personally find slightly odd but I like to know everything that's occurring (plus when the credit crunch was occurring it made me so much more hesitant to ask for anything from my parents so I like to know what's going on monetary-wise)

I've never used ad-block, whilst I've considered it in the past out of sheer annoyance from mid-vid ads, I've always thought about how you get 2-3 minutes+ of ads when watching a 25-30 minutes TV programme, so skipping through some 5 second ads, or enduring a 30 second one is nothing in comparison to it - but the amount of potential money she couldn't gain is pretty shocking. Her wage is less than I would have anticipated, in all honesty.
25/04/2017 - #blessed
onetruetrash
blobfish

saffarinda wrote:
onetruetrash wrote:

I think people being secretive is that it would create a gap between them and the audience if they saw the amount they were making - plus, people may be more hesitant to purchase merchandise if they can see how much they're already making. I know a fair few people that just consider it rude to ask people how much they make, some of my friends don't even know their parents wages which I personally find slightly odd but I like to know everything that's occurring (plus when the credit crunch was occurring it made me so much more hesitant to ask for anything from my parents so I like to know what's going on monetary-wise)

I've never used ad-block, whilst I've considered it in the past out of sheer annoyance from mid-vid ads, I've always thought about how you get 2-3 minutes+ of ads when watching a 25-30 minutes TV programme, so skipping through some 5 second ads, or enduring a 30 second one is nothing in comparison to it - but the amount of potential money she couldn't gain is pretty shocking. Her wage is less than I would have anticipated, in all honesty.
Yeah, I converted the amount of mount she makes to USD and she made about $78000 in roughly two years. Not really that much, not much more than the average person, and that's coming from someone who lives in one of nor even the poorest state in America. Of course, it makes it easier to handle when you're the only person you're buying for.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

fancybum wrote::dildo: George and Misc Watch 2017
Where In The World Is Daniel Howell? (May 30, 2017)

Unprompted George Mention
31:37 (chat) Phil pranked you with the banana
“Yes, George. Phil pranked me with the banana"
Miscellaneous
:lion: Phil and Misc Watch 2017
Where In The World Is Daniel Howell? (May 30, 2017)

Prompted Phil Mention
31:37 (chat) Phil pranked you with the banana
“Yes, George. Phil pranked me with the banana. So who saw the AmazingPhil video where Phil Lester predicted my future?”
“Phil, who wants to” lag
“The first one that Phil did was an 8-ball, the second one Phil [lag] tarot card readings”
“But when Phil read out these tarot cards, I don’t even know, it was disturbing. The Dan inside me would just say ‘it’s just a coincidence’ [..]"
“But then Phil [became a banana troll]”
“So when Phil said 'judging the future by patterns on a banana skin', I didn’t question that”
33:57 “Turns out Phil was just pranking me, he put a banana skin on my back and then shoved it down my shirt, which was the most violating thing I’ve ever experienced because it was a freezing cold banana that was incredibly wet”
“I give it to Phil, he got me good"

35:30 “Phil broke his [NASA mug], yes, as you’re saying"

56:27 (chat) Start a prank war with Phil
“I think that’s already happening, Melody, with the creep shots. As you’ll have seen on my twitter, Phil locked himself outside of the house, which was very funny."
Unprompted Phil Mention
37:12 “Speaking of freckles, I never thought I was a freckly person but I went outside for like 2 hours, and my skin got invaded by a billion dots and it was really weird. Not like Phil, who’s like ‘I’m white, I look like Voldemort, I’m white, but have brown spots everywhere like a leopard’, I just got little dots, scary. But I love freckles.”
“Let me just say for the record: freckles are beautiful.”

42:00 “Holy shat, [Line of Duty]’s like the best thing I’ve ever watched in my entire life. Me and Phil, Phil and I, have watched basically every crime drama ever, and other than like The Wire, I think it’s one of the best crime dramas ever made. It’s so gritty and dark and depressing, it’s horrible” etc. “I recommend you watch it if you’re into some heavy shit."

43:05 “Phil and I have caught up on all the new episodes of Steven Universe”
Neutral Phil Mention
06:50 “A lot of people were asking ‘what is Phil’s version of events’ [of the Bahamas story]”
“Phil’s version of events was the 10 seconds where he was in front of me in a queue, went up to a guy [and had no issues whatsoever]”
“Phil and this border agent were just like giggling for like 20 seconds and then Phil goes straight through”
“And on the other side, Phil was like ‘wow that took long, what happened’ and I was like ‘yeah I have to leave the country in 3 days’”
“So Phil’s version events was going ‘wow.. okay well that sucks’” which to be fair, Phil, a lot of things happen to him. I’m not gonna complain that much."

10:45 “We have #danandphilplushies on danandphilshop.com” “If you go to Phil’s twitter” “Go look at the Moments on Phil’s twitter”

14:05 Bahamas tweet chat/explanation
14:15 “The US border control lady with her infinite power over me was just having a bad day and for no reason decided at her discretion to just send me on a trip to the Bahamas when she could’ve just let me through like Phil"
15:50 “The thing is, if people go absolutely mental trying to work out why the hell I was in the Bamahas— ‘is he in the the country? how could that be possible? are Dan and Phil there? are they on holiday? [etc]’, that’s all fun. If it got to the point where anyone was upset, then you just need to walk away from the internet."

20:45 “On DanAndPhilGAMES, of which there’s still videos, and they’re all objectively entertaining, if you like Dan and Phil, then go watch DAPG for some funny, lighthearted content. Sometimes it’s just nice to make some things that are just there to make you laugh.”
(about the chances of Dil having an alien bun in the oven) “It’s not a guaranteed thing, like if me and Phil had vague plans for where the story of Dil’s life was going in this series, ‘abducted and male alien baby’ wasn’t part of the plan.”

27:50 (chat) Are you going to SITC?
“Me and Phil will probably not be going to SITC this year I’m afraid, we have other commitments, probably. But that’s okay; we’ve been many other years. We did a whole tour. Did you see Tom[ska having some travel stress on twitter because he tried to back out of Vidcon (because:exhaustion) but then had to back out of backing out whoops], I kind of relate to that because I was like, ‘2017: it’s the year that I sort my life out. 'Daniel Howell' let’s do it’. [Then went to Australia and Florida, and yes they were fun but], my god. The travel. My god it’s so intense. Jetlag is horrifying."

38:27 “I think me and Phil are saying hi to everybody on the stage as well [at Vidcon]"

40:40 (about changing all old YT video links to new social media etc) “I was supposed to be doing that last week, but after the trauma and we were very— the Florida, there was a lot of businessy, busy crap that we did, so I thought, ‘Should I go back and try to sort out all of this crap by myself while Phil’s on holiday with his family, or should I just make a video about the Bahamas, and I did"

1:00:20 “Go watch the collab on Phil’s channel. Make sure you watch the videos on DAPG ‘cause we’re making an effort to make sure that even if you’re not someone that’s into gaming, that they’re all just funny. So if you want that Dan and Phil in your life that’ll make you laugh when you need it, then do go watch DAPG, even if you don’t think you’re about that nerdy shit."
Miscellaneous
7:45 (about Bahamas situation) “Did I deserve it?”
8:05 (chat) You’re a sinner
“Ye— by many common definitions of the term, yes"

17:25 (chat) Any advice for irl troubles
“That depends what it is, but you can always pretend that irl doesn’t exist and just live on the internet, then that’s a good way of doing it. I sometimes pretend that the internet is the country that I live in”..laglaglag

18:04 (chat) Dean Dobbs is watching this
“Aw. Hi Dean, I like your t-shirts. Can I have one of the heart ones? I could probably organize that myself actually, I’ll just steal one, thank you very much.”
-that was like a weird display of dominance lmao, ‘oh hello I’m tangentially in charge of your new income source, remember?’ but also it’s a bit uncomfortable knowing you’re being watched by a peer type person (as he and other streamer people aka basically just Chris have said a few times) so at least this way everybody can be slightly uncomfortable now .. yay .. I mean he didn't even throw in some deandobbsstore.com promo, damn Dan

19:50 “The thing is with me, I have a vague ethnicity because my grandma was adopted and we have no idea where she’s from, so if I go outside for 2 days, I burn like toast. So I have to try very hard to kind of never go outside. If I ever try to actively tan, then TSA won’t let me into America anymore."

22:20 (chat) Talk about Playlist
“There’s a lot of conventions, and I’m like, sometimes I feel like— Conventions are very expensive and I wonder what is the fun that people get out of panels and performances. If you’re somebody that really cares about the community or the industry, or you’re a creator and make YT videos, then panels and Q&As and those things are really interesting. I feel like there should be more high-budget, performancey festival-y things.”
I feel like there could be more kind of, events, you know, that aren’t just the same kind of convention
- I don’t know what I’m -ing about, but just in case

26:45 (chat) Did you read the birthday card I gave you at Playlist?
“We have read all the letters and kept them and shipped it all back and, my god, we have so much storage.”
-do they actually have air conditioning now though is my only question

42:55 (chat) How was your holiday?
“It was like a half holiday, I had two days outside. I read a book called I Am Pilgrim, my mother recommended it to me, it’s very good."

47:13 “That’s what I want to do this week, I want to have some time by myself not talking to anyone, interacting with anyone, thinking about it.”
47:30 “I have to try to not be too… thinking for ages about: Who am I? What am I doing with my life? What is my personality? I’m making these YT videos, well what is a YT video? What is entertainment? What is creativity? What is the point of anything? Should I just be trying to make people laugh? Think? Feel? I don’t know, how do I do that? Do I do it by myself?” etc

51:38 “I just really, really appreciate Harry Styles as a person, who’s always been so mysterious and an enigma. ‘Cause you know me, I’m not mysterious, I know I’m probably more mysterious than some other internet personalities ‘cause I like never tweet or do anything and you’re like, ‘What is Dan doing, honestly'. But Harry Styles is just a complete mystery. So I just feel blessed to have a Harry Styles album that’s just him giving us this creativity from this personality that I like."

59:27 “I’ve realized that in a way, what I do is just publicly not have any idea what I’m doing with my life, and that kind of is the content that I create. So maybe if I ever became emotionally stable and had an idea of what my purpose in life was, maybe my appeal would be lost entirely. But then what does that mean? Is my purpose to just constantly be in a free fall? Who knows, it’s all fun."
Phinal Tally: said ‘Phil’ 40 times
~40/62mins = 0.64 per min
Phinal Tally: said ‘George’ not enough times
(not enough) + 1(Phil)/62mins = ∞
George, the real hero of the show here.
fancybum wrote:37:12 “Speaking of freckles, I never thought I was a freckly person but I went outside for like 2 hours, and my skin got invaded by a billion dots and it was really weird. Not like Phil, who’s like ‘I’m white, I look like Voldemort, I’m white, but have brown spots everywhere like a leopard’, I just got little dots, scary. But I love freckles.”
“Let me just say for the record: freckles are beautiful.”
#danisnotsubtle
fancybum wrote:“Aw. Hi Dean, I like your t-shirts. Can I have one of the heart ones? I could probably organize that myself actually, I’ll just steal one, thank you very much.”
-that was like a weird display of dominance lmao, ‘oh hello I’m tangentially in charge of your new income source, remember?’ but also it’s a bit uncomfortable knowing you’re being watched by a peer type person (as he and other streamer people aka basically just Chris have said a few times) so at least this way everybody can be slightly uncomfortable now .. yay .. I mean he didn't even throw in some deandobbsstore.com promo, damn Dan
Bolded was my reaction exactly. Like it made me laugh, but damn. I can't recall either of them talking about that (even indirectly) before? And to choose to do so when Dean was watching... lmfao okay Dan.
fancybum wrote:22:20 (chat) Talk about Playlist
“There’s a lot of conventions, and I’m like, sometimes I feel like— Conventions are very expensive and I wonder what is the fun that people get out of panels and performances. If you’re somebody that really cares about the community or the industry, or you’re a creator and make YT videos, then panels and Q&As and those things are really interesting. I feel like there should be more high-budget, performancey festival-y things.”
“I feel like there could be more kind of, events, you know, that aren’t just the same kind of convention”
I don't know whether to be cautiously optimistic about the idea of Dan seeming interested in making a convention, or just really wary considering the shitfest that the Gleamer Amity thing was. Them not going to SITC might make sense, though.
fancybum wrote:42:55 (chat) How was your holiday?
“It was like a half holiday, I had two days outside. I read a book called I Am Pilgrim, my mother recommended it to me, it’s very good."
This only stands out to me because phandom has conditioned me to overanalyze any mention of Dan with his parents. I wonder if it was recommended specifically for plane/trip reading, or a general rec? The idea of Dan calling his mum to talk about the trip he's taking with Phil's family is interesting, just because the dynamic is such an unknown.
fancybum
senpai

alittledizzy wrote:
“I feel like there could be more kind of, events, you know, that aren’t just the same kind of convention”
I don't know whether to be cautiously optimistic about the idea of Dan seeming interested in making a convention, or just really wary considering the shitfest that the Gleamer Amity thing was. Them not going to SITC might make sense, though.
I have no optimism about this being a possibility because I feel like the reaction to that announcement would make the reaction to tabinof look like mild disinterest by comparison do you know what I am saying. I don't want to be anywhere near the internet to deal with that.
@ Flipside: please don't ruin my life thx, I've got that handled on my own
Thanks and have a great day! Oil me
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

fancybum wrote:
alittledizzy wrote:
I have no optimism about this being a possibility because I feel like the reaction to that announcement would make the reaction to tabinof look like mild disinterest by comparison do you know what I am saying. I don't want to be anywhere near the internet to deal with that.
@ Flipside: please don't ruin my life thx, I've got that handled on my own
Yeah, you're totally right. The only way it would actually work okay is if it doesn't rest on Dan and Phil's names alone. If it were handled kind of like the IRL Store where it's this separate thing that they're lowkey behind/involved with but not promoting as a personal mostly-them thing... then maybe?

Something that basically ends up being a festival for youtubers could be kinda cool, if done right. Less panels and meet and greets and endless lines, more stage shows that aren't dumb ten minute games that no one was prepared for. But also, I don't trust Flipside enough, and the less the emphasis is on Dan and Phil the more potential to flop anyway.
autumnhearth
senpai

cherrybomb3 wrote:
Susanisnotafish wrote: I look forward to watching it the right way round, although Dan looks just as good flipped (can't say the same for Phil). Is this because Dan has a more symmetric face, which is actually supposed to make you less attractive?
pfff imo phil looks just fine flipped you little hater
This made me snort in bed this morning. I had to explain to the husband. Who btw wanted a play by play of the ls yesterday, without actually wanting to watch it.

Thanks for the time stamps and mentions fancybum

Love reading your insights Gnosia

Re-listening to the liveshow while looking up things Dan is talking about, like the plushies contest (love the TABINOF one and Spirited Away). Also looked up when SITC is, it's at the beginning of August... I really want to know what they are doing in August and how it relates back to that week in March. Speed up time please. (No actually don't, I'm childless for a week and need a bit of summer, even if it is my least favorite season). Dan's convention/festival thoughts are interesting.
Ilovethemohyesido wrote:I was re watching Phil's predicting future video and unlike Dan's where he made him think about last year, this year and next year, Phil did it for thrre months. Do you think he got it wrong and he was supposed to do as Dan's? Because if one watch Phil's and replace the months by years, it makes a lot of sense and it's a little bit similar as Dan's.
I noticed this as well. Past, Present, Future readings are quite common, but the time period is up to the reader. As long as you specify the time before drawing, I don't think either can be "wrong". I'm re-watching the collab (because YouTube decided to play it and the Bahamas after the ls). I noticed at the beginning they did a synchronized "oooo" kinda like at the beginning of a recent gaming video and I'm not sure how I feel about that potentionally becoming a thing. It's probably just the weird energy of all the pre-filming.
secretagentphan
procrastinator

This only stands out to me because phandom has conditioned me to overanalyze any mention of Dan with his parents. I wonder if it was recommended specifically for plane/trip reading, or a general rec? The idea of Dan calling his mum to talk about the trip he's taking with Phil's family is interesting, just because the dynamic is such an unknown.
This comment was a little disappointing/intriguing to me actually. Was Dan only on the Leiter holiday to work on some sort of project if it was a half-holiday? Or was he just trying to downplay the fact that he went on the Lester vacation. Idk it was weird to me. Either way I'm happy though because tan!Dan looks great
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

secretagentphan wrote:This comment was a little disappointing/intriguing to me actually. Was Dan only on the Leiter holiday to work on some sort of project if it was a half-holiday? Or was he just trying to downplay the fact that he went on the Lester vacation. Idk it was weird to me. Either way I'm happy though because tan!Dan looks great
Between Dan not announcing beforehand to us that he was going, saying clearly beforehand that he wouldn't be active on instagram for a few weeks, being unclear about how long he planned on staying, and avoiding giving details about the trip aside from what had already been posted on social media - it all just reads to me like Dan trying to subtly but firmly reiterate that they shared as much as they were willing to share and the rest was private. I think throwing out the line about it being a work trip is just meant to discourage us from asking, because fandom doesn't (and sometimes for good reason) get the difference between 'I'm hinting at something I want you to ask about' and 'I'm being vague because I don't want you to ask.'
lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual

alittledizzy wrote:
Can this simply be a tiny part of the Post-Baking Universe? That is, being a bit more open about life things? Like the recent mention of getting his jacket from his mum, Dan might be normalizing the (certainly important) part of his life that is his family, along with normalizing the Deppy/Lester part of life, and maybe at some point we'll stop wondering at every family mention. And his mum seems like the most neutral family member to mention.
"If you're left-handed, ask a friend."
"Why am I left-handed?"
"Everybody makes mistakes."
onetruetrash
blobfish

I just noticed this, but Dan's latest video only has 1.4 million views, which is pretty bad for him. I know some of his younger audience is busy studying and such, but some of them, like me, have already gotten out of school. Is this odd to anyone else?
LtrllySusan
lava lamp

autumnhearth wrote: Re-listening to the liveshow while looking up things Dan is talking about, like the plushies contest (love the TABINOF one and Spirited Away). Also looked up when SITC is, it's at the beginning of August... I really want to know what they are doing in August and how it relates back to that week in March. Speed up time please. (No actually don't, I'm childless for a week and need a bit of summer, even if it is my least favorite season). Dan's convention/festival thoughts are interesting.
Regarding what I bolded: This might be a bit but when Dan was asked about "that week in March", he said to ask him again in five months, which... is August.

Of course it's much more likely that he just threw out a random amount of months, but... who knows
fondsmiles
phabergé

watching the liveshow yesterday (that i loved i missed him) i noticed some dan's that i like:
- dan trying to get across the kind of thoughts he's having when he's very introspective, and he closes his eyes and moves his head around and idk it's cute (47:18)
- dan being excited about something and throwing his head around as if he's headbanging or something, what is he up to, it's Good though (42:12)
i just love people and the little quirks they have and humans are great and life is good.

content related things i had thoughts on because i am not a shallow person i promise:
- the issues he has with perfection about his content and how everything needs to be just right, and feel completely right - i relate to that a lot, and yesterday it got me thinking about how i've becoming better at that recently, and how i attribute some of that to uni and the stress i am facing there. it's weighed down a lot on me and after so many semesters i am now actively trying to do things a little less perfect, and it's so freaking hard. it makes it easier because i have to, but also because i see what my peers are doing and that other students get on well without being so perfectionist too. i feel like, this might be something that makes this particular topic harder for dan. while i have tons of other students to compare myself too (in a good way), there's not that many youtubers who are in his position, and he probably doesn't discuss his working process as much with them as it's often a small talk topic between students. i wonder how his progress as a person would have changed in this regard if his profession was something totally different.
- loved that he kept quiet about most of the family holiday. yes, go you, take that privacy, have those boundaries. also while i get that people are sad they won't meet them at sitc, i am happy that they are making decisions that are good for them - because that's what i am assuming, they'd be going if it wouldn't really be a bad decision for them. no one knows what's influencing their decisions about these kind of things, but i am sure they're not taken shallowly.
- loved all of it idk maybe i am shallow after all, he made me happy that's all (no that isn't shallow it's actually really important and i value it a lot)

looking forward to more liveshows again! also gaming videos, god, they're so good to us.
[x]
[x]
secretagentphan
procrastinator

alittledizzy wrote:
secretagentphan wrote:This comment was a little disappointing/intriguing to me actually. Was Dan only on the Leiter holiday to work on some sort of project if it was a half-holiday? Or was he just trying to downplay the fact that he went on the Lester vacation. Idk it was weird to me. Either way I'm happy though because tan!Dan looks great
Between Dan not announcing beforehand to us that he was going, saying clearly beforehand that he wouldn't be active on instagram for a few weeks, being unclear about how long he planned on staying, and avoiding giving details about the trip aside from what had already been posted on social media - it all just reads to me like Dan trying to subtly but firmly reiterate that they shared as much as they were willing to share and the rest was private. I think throwing out the line about it being a work trip is just meant to discourage us from asking, because fandom doesn't (and sometimes for good reason) get the difference between 'I'm hinting at something I want you to ask about' and 'I'm being vague because I don't want you to ask.'
That's actually such a good point I didn't even think about it! Sometimes I forget that their audience has no problems being demons to their face lol.

Regarding Dan's new video not having a lot of viewa: my sister didn't want to watch it at first because it was 14 minutes and it just didn't grab her so maybe it was that. Longer videos make you more money but they can also be off putting because a lot of people who watch youtube watch it as a quick form of entertainment unlike tv. We watch most of the gaming videos which are longer but idk it's different. This video just kind of seemed like a long generic story time video judging by the thumbnail. I loved it but I could seen how it could be originally off-putting to a casual viewer.
saffarinda
truth bomb

secretagentphan wrote:
alittledizzy wrote:
That's actually such a good point I didn't even think about it! Sometimes I forget that their audience has no problems being demons to their face lol.

Regarding Dan's new video not having a lot of viewa: my sister didn't want to watch it at first because it was 14 minutes and it just didn't grab her so maybe it was that. Longer videos make you more money but they can also be off putting because a lot of people who watch youtube watch it as a quick form of entertainment unlike tv. We watch most of the gaming videos which are longer but idk it's different. This video just kind of seemed like a long generic story time video judging by the thumbnail. I loved it but I could seen how it could be originally off-putting to a casual viewer.
I thought the same about the lack of views. Plus, it is still GCSE and A-Level season here in the UK (funfunfun) and even though some of us are on our half term right now (half-term is basically just a weeks break we get in the middle of every term, between every term we get a fortnight off as well) a lot of us are still revising, I've had revision sessions at school every day so far so I haven't been re-watching much - I feel like views will increase as we enter July.

Just thought I'd do a quick check to see how popular vids over 10 mins are, so out of the top 10 most popular vids on all the channels this is how many were over 10 mins:

Daniel Howell: 1, Never Have I Ever with Tyler (10th place). How To Speak Internet is 9:51 though (2nd place).

Amazing Phil: 2, A Festive Day in the Life of Dan and Phil (9th place) and Extreme Baking - TRIPLE CHOCOLATE EASTER NESTS (10th place) all of phil's top 10 most popular have dan in, whilst only 3 of dan's have phil in - if you don't count his cameos in dan's draw my life, diss track, or how not to stay cool

DanAndPhilGAMES: 10! All 10 vids are over 10 minutes - does that say something about how long people will watch gaming vids for - perhaps people who watch them for games are comfortable with long vids whilst people who watch sketch comedians prefer shorter times. 4/10 are sims vids btw.

all of the pinofs bar 2 and 8 are in phil's top 10 most popular btw.

well that was some fun data collecting, i enjoyed procrastinating from history revision
25/04/2017 - #blessed
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Compared to 2016 their views are actually completely up, across the board, for the month of May. I've been keeping a running tally on the count but since Phil is posting a video today (probably) I'm going to wait, because that one will count too.

The simple answer is just that with them posting more regular content, people rewatch less. But that's not a bad thing. It just means we aren't so starved we gnaw at the same bone for weeks on end while waiting on another to be tossed our way. We watch a video, maybe rewatch it once or twice, and by that point there's something new to distract us. It's not a failing on Dan and Phil; it's a sign that they're better at their jobs than ever.
opendoor
rainbow nerd

saffarinda wrote: thought the same about the lack of views. Plus, it is still GCSE and A-Level season here in the UK (funfunfun) and even though some of us are on our half term right now (half-term is basically just a weeks break we get in the middle of every term, between every term we get a fortnight off as well) a lot of us are still revising, I've had revision sessions at school every day so far so I haven't been re-watching much - I feel like views will increase as we enter July.

Just thought I'd do a quick check to see how popular vids over 10 mins are, so out of the top 10 most popular vids on all the channels this is how many were over 10 mins:

Daniel Howell: 1, Never Have I Ever with Tyler (10th place). How To Speak Internet is 9:51 though (2nd place).

Amazing Phil: 2, A Festive Day in the Life of Dan and Phil (9th place) and Extreme Baking - TRIPLE CHOCOLATE EASTER NESTS (10th place) all of phil's top 10 most popular have dan in, whilst only 3 of dan's have phil in - if you don't count his cameos in dan's draw my life, diss track, or how not to stay cool

DanAndPhilGAMES: 10! All 10 vids are over 10 minutes - does that say something about how long people will watch gaming vids for - perhaps people who watch them for games are comfortable with long vids whilst people who watch sketch comedians prefer shorter times. 4/10 are sims vids btw.

all of the pinofs bar 2 and 8 are in phil's top 10 most popular btw.

well that was some fun data collecting, i enjoyed procrastinating from history revision
I'm definitely a fan of shorter videos on their main channels- not for vlog-style vids like Day In the Life, but the rest. It's the reason I like the Punk vid more than the Pastel vid, and Dan Memes of 2015 more than 2016. Not that I don't like the occasional long video, but I'd prefer that to be the exception, rather than the rule. Short vids just feel more stream-lined, like everything in there is entertaining and belongs. With long videos it just feels to me like there's stuff in there that isn't really funny or serving a purpose.

I am one hundred percent that nerd who religiously keeps track of the view-counts for their videos (I'm very sad I know), so this post was enjoyable for me.
I miss Dan Howell's stupid face.
plath
sofa crease

This conversation's made me disable my adblocker on youtube. I had no idea it meant yters didn't get revenue =/ feel bad now.
nope.
DatCog
blobfish

The second part of Shawna's anime q&a with Phil is on her channel, if anyone is interested. I'm not sure - I want to see Phil of course but don't particularly want to give her the view

I love their longer videos...the longer, the better!
xaephan
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

plath wrote:This conversation's made me disable my adblocker on youtube. I had no idea it meant yters didn't get revenue =/ feel bad now.
I knew about the adblock = no money thing, but ads just suck the enjoyment out of any vids I watch, especially how dnp places them. I sometimes watch stuff on my phone (on the YT app with no adblock), and I noticed that their ads for 10+ minutes videos are placed pretty haphazardly, sometimes even in the middle of a sentence.

I do feel a bit guilty about it, which is why I went and bought both books and both movies even though I wasn't super interested in any of it. Hopefully that gives them enough revenue to cover for the ads I don't watch on my computer

I think I'll go and skip-watch a bit of the new Shawna video with Phil, just to see what kind of stuff they're talking about. I'm not into the subject matter, so I probably wouldn't have fully watched it even if I didn't find her distasteful.
if my heart was a compass you'd be north
previously myllakka
chiccola
sofa crease

DatCog wrote:The second part of Shawna's anime q&a with Phil is on her channel, if anyone is interested. I'm not sure - I want to see Phil of course but don't particularly want to give her the view

If you don't want to give views - there you go :)
{link removed - jesp}
Last edited by jesp on Wed May 31, 2017 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed link to copyrighted content
opendoor
rainbow nerd

DatCog wrote:The second part of Shawna's anime q&a with Phil is on her channel, if anyone is interested. I'm not sure - I want to see Phil of course but don't particularly want to give her the view

Haha Phil got in there with the Free! ship when she asked him about his OTP, which I enjoyed more than I would have considering the stuff that came out about her the other day. Aside from that, Phil was sweet in it, and I might never watch it again :)

I've got Properly muddled about these videos with her- is there going to be another one on AmazingPhil, so three videos in total?
I miss Dan Howell's stupid face.
SquishPhan
capita£ester

Just like part 1 of the anime Q&A, part 2 made me smile too.
I still wished they would have gone a bit deeper with some answers, but it was still nice to watch.
I'm with Phil on the fact that there should have been a canon couple come out of Free. Also Phil's face does look a bit like Haru's (even though he tried to laugh it off), and who do we know that has a pillow of that face? How interesting. ;)