Dan & Phil Part 47: Do it with Dan!

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
nephilimcat
woodland creature
Pronouns: she/her

Great, I just wrote something and my laptop crashed :sideeye:

I love that they do something for charity again. They keep reminding me that I stan the right people I actually ordered a shirt! I have never ordered any merch before because I'm stingy and don't make my own money atm. But ffs this is for charity and looks good as well (it's sweet that Dan designed it and the silhouettes are from the Manchester ditl, I think Manchester really means a lot to them ). I will probably wear it at home only, I'm not a t-shirt person.
pulvis et umbra sumus
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

FYI
plath
sofa crease

I think this is such a lovely idea. I'm proud of the guys for raising money for charity
nope.
kay
phabergé

such a great gesture from them. it makes perfect sense their silhouettes are on there, not only do they have a connection to the city but their fans are more likely to buy something that alludes to them in a way. increased sales = increased donation to the cause. daniel howell, the newest phanartist, using that magic lasso and gradient tool to the fullest.

it's not on either of their channels, but one cringey video of theirs that i can never watch is the wheel of confessions thing for bbcr1 from 2013. it's supposed to be this light hearted lolz thing and it just felt like strained and really awkward couples therapy. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4OL-irwf38) but then what's funny is you compare it to something like the hollywire interviews (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0ogvym6GjM) which yeah the topics are different but it still has the possibility to veer off into cringe and it's really cute and bant-y.
phoenixfeather
dank meme

De-lurking to say wow... I love that they're finding a way to rally their fans behind the cause. It's obviously a city close to their hearts: that's where they met for the first time, Phil grew up nearby and Dan went to school there (and the tin-hatter in me will always believe he wanted to go originally so he could be close to his new boyfriend). And if Voldy is believed, they had their first kiss on that wheel so prominently displayed on the design despite the fact it's gone now.

My best friend was at the concert and I in no way want to make it about me but I've been distraught the last couple weeks knowing how close I was to losing her. Since it's a cause so near to my heart I am SO FOR literally any support. If they have to put a slight Phan-y spin on a design to help the cause, I say even if it turns out they're just shipbaiting here, I fully support it. Especially the effort Dan put into it--and he's not even the half of the duo that was raised there. TBH I'd find it a bit weird if they just took a basic Manchester shirt and threw it up on their merch site, yknow? And that wouldn't really sell in the same capacity this design would. Or even if they promoed the OLM shirts, it wouldn't inspire the Phandom to give money to the cause the same way this would. It's just enough of a Deppy twist to make it FOR their fans, but so subtle that it just promotes the city, not themselves. The silhouette isn't even recognizable unless you literally have all their thumbnails memorized, so... yeah, tl;dr just a really classy way to go about it, I think. Just a nice little confirmation they deserve all the time and energy i've put into stanning them these past couple years

edit: aaand achika comes in with the more eloquent way to say the same thing while I was typing. Guess there was no point in delurking now lol
achika wrote:such a great gesture from them. it makes perfect sense their silhouettes are on there, not only do they have a connection to the city but their fans are more likely to buy something that alludes to them in a way. increased sales = increased donation to the cause.
Last edited by phoenixfeather on Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fancy_nancy
phabergé

This is so so sweet of them, I want one those shirts!!
Grey
lady door

Re shirts: my first thought was also why did they stick their giant heads on a t-shirt for this cause, but my second thought was, as others have said, that's actually a smart way to raise money. Nice idea. I like.

Change of topic: What is Shane's deal with Dan and Phil lately? He apparently talked about if they're together or not on his podcast (I haven't listened and I'm not planning to so I don't know what they say/conclude). It makes me wonder if they had a falling out behind the scenes and he's amping up his phan mentions to spite them. Is that too conspiracy-theory-y? Lol. He's been mentioning them in almost every video lately. Unless I'm experiencing Baader-Meinhof from writing about this a few weeks ago. Hmm.
I'm having a stress.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Grey wrote:Change of topic: What is Shane's deal with Dan and Phil lately? He apparently talked about if they're together or not on his podcast (I haven't listened and I'm not planning to so I don't know what they say/conclude). It makes me wonder if they had a falling out behind the scenes and he's amping up his phan mentions to spite them. Is that too conspiracy-theory-y? Lol. He's been mentioning them in almost every video lately. Unless I'm experiencing Baader-Meinhof from writing about this a few weeks ago. Hmm.
The podcast that came out today on soundcloud is actually the one that came out on Fullscreen a few weeks ago. It was already talked about briefly here but with suddenly it being public for everyone to listen to it's getting a lot more exposure with the phandom.

Shane tweeted, naturally playing innocent.
malday
emo goose

Grey wrote: Change of topic: What is Shane's deal with Dan and Phil lately? He apparently talked about if they're together or not on his podcast (I haven't listened and I'm not planning to so I don't know what they say/conclude). It makes me wonder if they had a falling out behind the scenes and he's amping up his phan mentions to spite them. Is that too conspiracy-theory-y? Lol. He's been mentioning them in almost every video lately. Unless I'm experiencing Baader-Meinhof from writing about this a few weeks ago. Hmm.
I would make sense if they didn't want to be on the psychic twins channel and he's bitter about it.
ArtyJim
glabella

alittledizzy wrote:
Grey wrote:Change of topic: What is Shane's deal with Dan and Phil lately? He apparently talked about if they're together or not on his podcast (I haven't listened and I'm not planning to so I don't know what they say/conclude). It makes me wonder if they had a falling out behind the scenes and he's amping up his phan mentions to spite them. Is that too conspiracy-theory-y? Lol. He's been mentioning them in almost every video lately. Unless I'm experiencing Baader-Meinhof from writing about this a few weeks ago. Hmm.
The podcast that came out today on soundcloud is actually the one that came out on Fullscreen a few weeks ago. It was already talked about briefly here but with suddenly it being public for everyone to listen to it's getting a lot more exposure with the phandom.

i always wonder how dnp feel about this because it's not like other people speculating or talking about shipping. this is apparently psychics saying yes dan and phil have been together and still are together. you know? it feels different to me. it feels really invasive because these twins claim to have this 'gift' and they claim to have accurately predicted a bunch of stuff. so what it comes down to is that they're basically outing 2 people who have made it clear they don't want to be out rn (or ever and that's their right). i know dan's a skeptic but i still wonder if he finds it at all invasive? or maybe i'm just overthinking it. idk these twins just creep me tf out.
squishydanny
crusty sponge

I want a bitch to go off about Shane sometime soon...and by a bitch, I mean Dan... and by sometime soon, I mean the liveshow tomorrow because I mean, come on, the mentions are getting to be ridiculous at this point. I love a good Petty Dan™. Give me that aggressively polite Onision-esque drag on Shane. How about a simple "I unfollowed you for a reason lol".
llion
living flop

alittledizzy wrote:

now that he's tweeted, it really bothers me. why even acknowledge it without an apology? i'd accept "my intentions were in good fun but admittedly in poor taste" or something like that. denial is childish and annoying and i'm having none of it. no more casual views from me. :gg:

i love how he says they joke about it themselves, when that's not at all what he's doing. he frames it as genuine speculation. i don't care how silly or dumb it is, the whole point of the series is that everything is presented in such a serious light. it's hilarious when you're talking about lizard people, not potential relationships. when deppy (barely) acknowledged it it's always been in their control. an outside source without explicit consent is no longer funny or cool.
art credit: koreinkorein (thank you!)
jesuisunèléve
phabergé

squishydanny wrote:I want a bitch to go off about Shane sometime soon...and by a bitch, I mean Dan... and by sometime soon, I mean the liveshow tomorrow because I mean, come on, the mentions are getting to be ridiculous at this point. I love a good Petty Dan™. Give me that aggressively polite Onision-esque drag on Shane. How about a simple "I unfollowed you for a reason lol".
You made me laugh so hard I choked on my own spit. I, too, would love for a bitch (er, Dan) to go off on Shane because Dan...I have this feeling there's this bitchy princess inside of him just waiting to come out. and I wanna watch him read Shane to filth.

Oh and for Shane? "Good fun" = page views.
onetruetrash
blobfish

Ooh so much to talk about!

Re: Shane - Really? Who does he think he's kidding? He talked about a rather invasive tweet in a conspiracy video and now talked about their sexualities and relationships more in depth and it's honestly disrespectful at this point. I bet he wouldn't have liked people saying things like that before he came out. (BTW I made a thread for Shane coincidentally earlier today so maybe this would be suited well there.)

Re: Manchester shirts - This is a sweet gesture! They have an audience in the same age range as Ariana and lived in the city, so I'm glad they did this. (Also someone mentioned that it's weird that they had the Manchester Eye on the shirt since it's not up anymore and is known in the Phandom for all the wrong reasons. I don't want to make this all about them, but it is a strange choice.)

Re: Cringe videos - The only video I can't watch is Stalker Prank Call. I just feel extremely uncomfortable and I don't know why. I also feel weird watching the pabloislove videos. It's just a very surreal feeling.
iihappydaysii
glabella

(hi I'm new, been lurking for awhile.)

I saw the Shane/Psychic Twins thing a few weeks ago and have been expecting to eventually become a thing. My first thought when I heard them say that was "wow cool in the same breath that y'all said you don't out people and were complaining about them not agreeing to be on their show".

I'm assuming Shane is doing it for the views, not sure of another motivation that would make sense under the circumstances. I don't think he thinks they're actually together--which is what he has said--this isn't me excusing him at all, just saying I don't think he's coming at this from the idea that he's outing them. (Not that he's above that. I honestly don't know. I hope so).

Regardless, it's icky to do this to your peers.

-- --

I've been loving all the domestic stuff. I'm easy to please in that regard. Like yes Phil just talk about barbecue and yes Dan water your plants. I live for this stuff. More please. Lol
onetruetrash
blobfish

iihappydaysii wrote:(hi I'm new, been lurking for awhile.)

I saw the Shane/Psychic Twins thing a few weeks ago and have been expecting to eventually become a thing. My first thought when I heard them say that was "wow cool in the same breath that y'all said you don't out people and were complaining about them not agreeing to be on their show".

I'm assuming Shane is doing it for the views, not sure of another motivation that would make sense under the circumstances. I don't think he thinks they're actually together--which is what he has said--this isn't me excusing him at all, just saying I don't think he's coming at this from the idea that he's outing them. (Not that he's above that. I honestly don't know. I hope so).

Welcome!

You bring up a good point about his motives. What exactly does he want from this? Views? I mean, that seems like the obvious answer, but he is doing fine in terms of views and gets just as much as deppy do. And using depot for views only works for a small amount of views. People like CrankThatFrank, LazyJamie, and RobertIDK are not extremely popular Youtubers and the extra views could be useful to them. But in terms of Shane's views, the amount is too small to make an impact. So why?
autumnhearth
senpai

Re: The Manchester Eye. It was part of the city when they lived there and did DITL. I doubt that Dan chose to include it as either fan-service or ship-baiting (though if it is, I'm eating it right up), but rather because he liked the art and it reflected their Manchester and memories.

Also the husband took pity on me this weekend and told me we could get DAPGO (after I kept visiting it at various stores. Bored at Target? Go hang out with D&P for a bit).

:welcome: new folks!

I hope one of them talks about the floorbecue incident in their liveshows.
captainspacecoat
stress mushroom

phoenixfeather I'm so glad your friend is okay, I can't imagine how terrifying that must have been, sending you lots of love You articulated exactly how I feel about the shirts, I think it's such a lovely, heartfelt gesture and I'm very proud of them for doing it. I think it's clear Manchester is a city that means a lot to the both of them for many reasons (Phil grew up there, they met there and lived together there for a while etc) so it makes sense that they would want to help in some way as I'm sure the attacks really did hit close to home for them. For that reason, I don't think it's inappropriate for them to have their images on the shirt as they aren't trying to capitalise off the attacks. Rather, they want to encourage their audience to raise money for a cause that is meaningful to them. They are good eggs

re: Shane - ugh. That's all I can be bothered to say about him, I feel like I already expressed my opinions the first time round - he's not innocent here and he should apologise for being so invasive/accusatory.

re: cringe videos - I have such bad secondhand embarrassment so there's a lot I can't rewatch. I can't rewatch a lot of pre-2014 Dan videos - especially all the fandom related ones (even though they were the ones that led me to him back in 2012 and I thought they were so hilarious/relatable at the time, go figure) and as others have said, any that are excessively rape-jokey/"Mexican"-jokey etc. I don't actually find Phil's videos post-2011 that cringey for the most part, and I'm probably more likely to rewatch them than I am Dan's. I'm not a huge fan of a lot of the 2015 gaming videos as they felt a bit empty or forced or something compared to the more recent ones (I do love the 2014 ones though, I think those are classics). Also can't watch pinof4 due to perceived awkwardness (and maybe an unpopular opinion but I find 5-7 a bit excessively screamy if I'm honest) or any of the Tumblr Tags (I really hope they never do another one, I can't make it through them ever). Whoever mentioned 'What Not To Do At The Cinema' though - that video still holds up! It's always been one of my favourites, I think it's still very watchable.
Ilovethemohyesido
living flop

I've always thought the best way to deal about Shane is to ignore him completely. Create discussions about what he says is what he wants, at the end he wants people listening to the podcast and/or watch his video, wether it is to support or attack him, he really couldn't care less. That tweet he did, I bet everybody will tweet Dan tomorrow about it, and that is what he wants. I say,let's ignore him.
Grey
lady door

Oh sorry! Should have checked to make sure it was actually new first!

About that tweet: Is he actually equating D&P reacting to/creating fan FICTION about themselves to him gossiping about other people's relationship with two supposed-psychics?! Whaaat.

Extremely off-topic about psychics:
I mentioned a while ago that I had gone to a psychic fair for fun. I asked the psychic I saw a specific question: "will I get into grad school?" She said quite confidently that I would. She even said I'd get my acceptance in August. Guess who did NOT get into grad school? Yep me! And I found out like a week after I saw her - she couldn't even see a week into my future. Hahaha.
I'm having a stress.
iihappydaysii
glabella

onetruetrash wrote:

Welcome!

You bring up a good point about his motives. What exactly does he want from this? Views? I mean, that seems like the obvious answer, but he is doing fine in terms of views and gets just as much as deppy do. And using depot for views only works for a small amount of views. People like CrankThatFrank, LazyJamie, and RobertIDK are not extremely popular Youtubers and the extra views could be useful to them. Bus in terms of Shane's views, the amount is too small to make an impact. So why?

I hope I didn't mess up the quoting thing but who knows??

You're right about Shane's views. He's doing well, especially considering he posts most days. When I try to think of motivations I just end up in a spiral of my own conspiracy theories. Tbh I've seen pretty much every video of Shane's for about two years. I don't remember many or any references to phan-- and now there's been quite a bit. Could it be an unseen feud? Could Shane be legitimately curious? Does he want the drama, not the views? If they come out, does he want to be able to say it was predicted on his show? See what I mean about a spiral. I get fascinated by stuff like this. It's an issue.
onetruetrash
blobfish

iihappydaysii wrote:
onetruetrash wrote:

Welcome!

You bring up a good point about his motives. What exactly does he want from this? Views? I mean, that seems like the obvious answer, but he is doing fine in terms of views and gets just as much as deppy do. And using depot for views only works for a small amount of views. People like CrankThatFrank, LazyJamie, and RobertIDK are not extremely popular Youtubers and the extra views could be useful to them. Bus in terms of Shane's views, the amount is too small to make an impact. So why?

I hope I didn't mess up the quoting thing but who knows??

You're right about Shane's views. He's doing well, especially considering he posts most days. When I try to think of motivations I just end up in a spiral of my own conspiracy theories. Tbh I've seen pretty much every video of Shane's for about two years. I don't remember many or any references to phan-- and now there's been quite a bit. Could it be an unseen feud? Could Shane be legitimately curious? Does he want the drama, not the views? If they come out, does he want to be able to say it was predicted on his show? See what I mean about a spiral. I get fascinated by stuff like this. It's an issue.
I would've never thought of that! I mean, let's be honest, if Dan and Phil ever decide to come out as a couple, it's not far in the future, especially in YouTube's current state. I always found that Shane's conspiracy videos don't tend to tell the whole story or try to debunk things, but if he got something right, he would gain some actual credibility.

Also, if Shane was legitimately curious, he'd do a lot more to research and by the way he talks about Dan and Phil, he hasn't dug very much.
ArtyJim
glabella

iihappydaysii wrote:
if he hadn't gone on to talk about how he thinks they're just queerbaiting people i probably wouldn't be so upset about it. because i have never felt queerbaited? by them as a casual fan. i wasn't around in the early years though so idk about back them. but when i started watching them in the last 2 years i just genuinely enjoyed what i perceived as their friendship. obviously the more i watched of their stuff the more i was about what might else be going on. but at the end of the day it was still all genuine to me regardless of any label they were publicly putting on them.

(i hope none of this comes off like im attacking your opinions or anything lol. i agree with just about everything you said. im just annoyed with shane rn.)
iihappydaysii
glabella

maybe it's as simple as Shane having run out of ideas for his conspiracy theory videos and they're some of his most popular so he wants to keep them going. I guess the question is did he not dig deep or is he using some discretion in what he brings up? I mean I can imagine the disaster if he went down some certain lines of investigation, despite how compelling those lines are if your goal is to uncover the truth.

However, if this is just about the conspiracy vids, why bring it up on Shane and Friends, which has a considerably smaller audience than his videos and almost certainly an even smaller overlap with people with a vested interest in Dan and Phil's relationship status? Like Dan, I am a person of cold hard facts so psychics aren't compelling to me, as in, I don't think they have any clue of the nature of Dan and Phil's relationship. it bothered me that both Shane and the twins suggested they ignored the request for a reading rather than the fact that Dan doesn't believe in psychics

Ugh, I have no idea how to quote just small portions of things. Maybe it's because I'm on mobile. I will work on figuring it all out but anyway, ArtyJim, you're totally right. The queerbaiting thing is ridiculous, certainly since they have both actually denied it before. They are allowed to be friends and live together and be close, regardless of romance or not, without their lives being called queerbaiting. They're not fictional characters. This is just a thought but I'm wondering if he actually saw that as the safe thing to say like so he could say he wasn't actually saying they're together. He probably doesn't see it as negative since before he came out he had kissed guys and done boyfriend tags with boys that weren't his boyfriend etc. so he sees it as acceptable behavior. Again, I'm not defending him at all. Just curious about motivation.
ArtyJim
glabella

iihappydaysii wrote:
Ugh, I have no idea how to quote just small portions of things. Maybe it's because I'm on mobile. I will work on figuring it all out but anyway, ArtyJim, you're totally right. The queerbaiting thing is ridiculous, certainly since they have both actually denied it before. They are allowed to be friends and live together and be close, regardless of romance or not, without their lives being called queerbaiting. They're not fictional characters. This is just a thought but I'm wondering if he actually saw that as the safe thing to say like so he could say he wasn't actually saying they're together. He probably doesn't see it as negative since before he came out he had kissed guys and done boyfriend tags with boys that weren't his boyfriend etc. so he sees it as acceptable behavior. Again, I'm not defending him at all. Just curious about motivation.
yes thank you especially the bolded part. he's just trying to bring them down to his level because all shane does is do stuff for views. obviously dnp have struck gold with their friendship/relationship (whatever it may be) and it's definitely a part of their success but to just say it's all an act for views is so disingenuous. anyway im just gonna keep repeating myself here in a min so ill shut up now lol