Dan & Phil Part 48: Exposing themselves via fidget spinner

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie
Pronouns: she/her

(click to read the whole thread for optimum fidget spinner exposure antics)
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

fancy_nancy wrote:giving Dan gifts that have Colins face printed on them is probably the cutest thing, it must be an inside joke with his family but it really is very sweet, I wish I had my puppers face printed on some stuff hahaha
Definitely has to be an inside joke, and I absolutely love it. I mean, what else do you get your millionaire adult son besides something obnoxious with the family dog's face on it?
VengefulBlue
rainbow nerd
Pronouns: they/them

alittledizzy wrote:what else do you get your millionaire adult son besides something obnoxious with the family dog's face on it?
oh god, i never thought of that from that perspective. it might just be getting late, but wow it just hit me that dan's parents created and physically grew a human who's now an adult, and is known worldwide, and has (probably) made more money in the past decade than they have their whole lives and wow. not trying to speculate on family details, just holy shit that's a heavy thing for any parent.
aleanna
glabella

Not Deppy related but...

Can IDB Londoners check in? I know it's just one building, but it looks scary as fuck on tv.

Stay safe, everyone!!!
Check out my YouTube channel where I post badly edited vlog-things: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4MzLr ... nRQQMRpp6A
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

VengefulBlue wrote:
alittledizzy wrote:what else do you get your millionaire adult son besides something obnoxious with the family dog's face on it?
oh god, i never thought of that from that perspective. it might just be getting late, but wow it just hit me that dan's parents created and physically grew a human who's now an adult, and is known worldwide, and has (probably) made more money in the past decade than they have their whole lives and wow. not trying to speculate on family details, just holy shit that's a heavy thing for any parent.
It really is heavy to think about from that perspective! A lot of people acted like them giving him a mug for Christmas was so offensive, but honestly. There's nothing he couldn't buy himself. (Plus, that wasn't all they gave him at Christmas, so for all we know there was another bday present, too.)
onetruetrash
blobfish

The naming of this thread is my biggest accomplishment in life and that's kind of sad, but I'm happy about it!
xaephan
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

Very belated thanks to the people who answered my question in the last thread about if Phil is the one who's away for some family stuff! Speaking of Phil, the PR agent joke actually made me giggle for ages. One of my favourite AU fics from an ooold fandom had this premises, and now I'm just thinking up a bunch of phan versions.

I finally got around to watching the LS, and I enjoyed it! I liked the little asides/anecdotes about why each gift he decided to show is interesting. I'm sure he got a ton more than what was in the vid, but those are all great. I'd totally love a bunch of different merch with the family dog's picture on it, since that means I'd have a dog haha

I like his lil' rants on politics, ww, and the attractiveness of Chrises.

I don't think I've said it here, but I kept talking about how Dan should stop trying to break his own neck in pictures just so he can show the 'good' side of his face. He ends up looking so unnatural that it doesn't even matter it was his better side (which...I don't really get? His face isn't perfectly symmetrical but I don't know why he hates showing the other side so much). It's pretty great that he not only posted that voting picture from the other angle, but chose to use it for a bunch of display pics too. Part of his ongoing self-acceptance, or because his neck started hurting?
I don't want to go into it again, but Dan continues with the Japanese, while pretending he didn't just google translate it...
if my heart was a compass you'd be north
previously myllakka
fancybum
senpai

Phil and Misc Watch 2017
a FIDGET SPINNER for my birthday (June 13, 2017)

Prompted Phil Mention
17:35 (chat) Did Phil give you the fidget spinner?
“Yes"

32:15 (chat) Where is Phil?
"Not here"
-I took that as more jokey than snarky since he’s already said that Phil’s away, so if there IS snarkiness there, it’s just because Phil’s with family (so no more details for us obvs, why ask), not because he’s actually annoyed that somebody asked about Phil

49:40 (chat) Did you survive Phil’s [try not to cringe] challenge?
“Yes, Phil uploaded a video. No, I didn’t.”
“If you don’t know, Phil made a video reading out old emails that he wrote to people when he was roleplaying”
“None of us can judge Phil, [we’ve all been there]”
(chat) Are you going to do one too?
"[noncommittal maybe (after a non-spon vid first? to believe or not to believe..)]”
Unprompted Phil Mention
51:00 “Oh, Phil texted me. I forgot this when I mentioned he was away. He’s not doing a liveshow on Thursday, there you go. Here I am, I’m just Phil’s PR agent.”
-Phil could just tweet that himself…. To veer away from sad theorizing, I’ll propose that he’s actually snuck off to the US with PJ because he’s got a secret project/is involved in PJ’s secret project and everybody in the world is healthy and well
Neutral Phil Mention
10:35 “First off, from your boy Phil Lester, Dan Howell, for his birthday, got: a fidget spinner. That’s right, Phil got me a fidget spinner.”
“So Phil basically bought me a fidget spinner ironically, as a joke, and then spent two days playing with it and didn’t let me have it. So that’s Phil Lester as a friend for you."
11:45 “This is like made out of metal, I don’t know what Phil got- this is like you could bludgeon someone to death with that.”
“Phil injured himself [with it]"
22:18 “I don’t feel better with this in my hand. It’s just something that’s there, and it’s like a big thing. I don’t like it. Phil- Phil can keep it."

12:58 “Also Phil got me this [glass filled with crystals that change depending on the weather..?]” “This is so Phil, honestly”

24:30 “If you want to just watch me internally screaming for 10 minutes whilst Phil is just providing the most insane, inappropriate commentary to possibly anything ever, [then watch their Bread vid]”
Miscellaneous
02:45 “I changed my YT banner, which has been the same thing for years"
-goes on for a few lifetimes about fonts and branding and backgrounds. nobody cares about this as much as he does, and okay, whatever makes him feel productive, but also stfu already. please.
8:20 doesn’t want to pay somebody for graphic design because if he did: “all of a sudden it’s a bit too professional and the whole point of YT is that it’s not professional and it’s kind of endearing that I do it myself and it’s shit"

9:40 “‘Did you have a good birthday?’ said Georgie."
-aw look at how close they’ve become

12:45 (chat) How do you feel about Trump leaving the Paris Agreement?
“I think it’s terrible. Of all the negative impacts Trump's administration might have on the world, the environment is one of the most irreparable."

14:25 “That would be so depressing, honestly. If [his bonsai tree] dies, I can’t have [this plastic replacement] in the background of my videos. That’d just be a testament to how all life has failed and we live in a soulless, plastic universe.”

15:40 “Don’t get offended [by his hatred of sunflowers]. You’re allowed to just have different tastes in things, okay? It’s not like having different opinions on politics and what the world should be like.”

18:55 Colin shirt from family, kind of the best thing ever

20:45 “But I hope people have actually seen The Babadook, because it’s a really good movie”
-hot take: it sucked and children are the most annoying things to be put on film. if you want to sit through an hour of a child shrieking, go nuts. and the symbolism Wasn’t That Deep. meme is more entertaining, fight me.

22:40 (chat) New video when?
“New danisnotonfire video. Yeah. Uh. Phil is away for a few days at a family thing, so I am alone which is a great time for me to be creative and stuff. I have an idea. I’m gonna try and make a video. And yeah. The only thing that’s distressing is that I still think my video background is ugly. Like there’s so many things… I dunno, I’m gonna tr— but either way, I can’t just not make a video for two months because I don’t think that the background of my video is pretty enough. So like maybe just get over it, who knows. Whatever.”
-I feel like this whole background thing is A Thing that we don’t understand yet? He mentioned it in the moving vid and like every liveshow since (actually even the liveshow before they moved? right?). I mean, originally, to begin with, it made sense to announce it will be Different (no longer his room), but I think we get the point by now...? Just add some shit or don’t, it feels like an intentional fixation he’s presenting for some reason. He’s going to turn it into a fucking voting thing..?

23:28 (“”””chat””””) Dan, last time you read out my name as Steven, it’s Susan
“I did. I saw that. I’m gonna- I have to apologise for this, because a couple of people have called me out on it. The chat moves very fast and sometimes I don’t manage to read the name and I kind of guess what the name was. So sometimes I’ll just see the first letter [and go with whatever]. So if that happens, I’m sorry. I have the best of intentions. It’s just because I’m truly reading what you’re trying to say and I appreciate it.”
-oh like how he truly just read that comment out from Stusan (said with love )

25:45 “I’m somebody that doesn’t like a lot of attention sometimes. [s]I’m in the best career[/s]. No, like the difference with that is: I like making things, and I like attention which is people discussing things that I’m interested in or have made. But I personally, me and my personality, my personal life, interacting with me physically, hate attention. I am happy to stand in the back of the room blending into the shadows.”
[which is why birthdays=meh. but all the art and nice bday wishes etc. made him happy]
“So, you know what, even somebody that’s as terrified and scared as me, I want to say thank you to everybody"

35:30 “But a film like Wonder Woman, that literally starts with a field full of women of colour brawling, that’s just- it’s something that has a much bigger impact on the world because simply by existing, no matter how good or bad it is, it’s representation for people. It was the first superhero movie with a female lead in 12 years, since a terrible movie called Elektra and that’s just crazy.”
-Dan coming for Jennifer Garner, rude

40:40 (chat) Future Islands, do you like them?
“Yes.”
-

41:07 “Can two bros in space just have a good cry about a stressful situation and letting go of their feelings and just hugging without it being a ship? Who knows.”
-who needs context

43:30 “And I’m quite happy that the YT community, which is a community that I am part of whether I like it or not, were very encouraging of young people going out and voting."
45:28 “I had a weird night, got DM’d by [Corbyn], got retweeted by Edward Snowden, so I’m definitely on a list right now. Thanks, Ed, lad.”
47:00 “Young people need to care about politics, it’s important.”
Phinal Tally: said ‘Phil’ 19 times
~19/55mins = 0.34 per min
Well I actually really liked that show? I didn’t find it/him stressful/stressed at all. I mean he’s really going hard with the 'obsessing over minute details’ thing with his branding and whatever which is kind of getting very grating, but apart from that he seemed pretty chill and lovely all around. It must be the terrariums, they've got auras enabled.
flarequake wrote:Funny how he skated over the possibility of a Tinder spon. At least he'll probably make it hella funny. Seemed possibly genuine in Haruing TomSkas Rejects script, can't totally tell tbh but he must have known about it, maybe just being low key.
I’m honestly fascinated by that and still don’t really know what I think of it. If Tinder hadn’t (allegedly) rejected that script, they would have actually put the concept ‘Dan & Phil were supposed to be on a date’ in a video? Was Phil playing himself? Why would Dan be nervous about a date with someone he lives with (which based on the last Rejects video, is canon in this little clone world)? Tom didn’t actually clarify who it was rejected by, right? But if it was D&P, would he have included it in the video? (Unless they didn’t care if people knew Tom’s idea, they just didn’t want to do it?) Does it all deserve much less thought than this because it’s just for lols? Probably.

Aaaanyway how was Rejects already over a year ago? Time doesn’t exist.
Thanks and have a great day! Oil me
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

fancybum wrote:
flarequake wrote:Funny how he skated over the possibility of a Tinder spon. At least he'll probably make it hella funny. Seemed possibly genuine in Haruing TomSkas Rejects script, can't totally tell tbh but he must have known about it, maybe just being low key.
I’m honestly fascinated by that and still don’t really know what I think of it. If Tinder hadn’t (allegedly) rejected that script, they would have actually put the concept ‘Dan & Phil were supposed to be on a date’ in a video? Was Phil playing himself? Why would Dan be nervous about a date with someone he lives with (which based on the last Rejects video, is canon in this little clone world)? Tom didn’t actually clarify who it was rejected by, right? But if it was D&P, would he have included it in the video? (Unless they didn’t care if people knew Tom’s idea, they just didn’t want to do it?) Does it all deserve much less thought than this because it’s just for lols? Probably.
So I interpreted that Rejects 2 sketch scene to be: Dan is nervous about a date, Tom has the idea to send a clone. Because Phil is established as a Dan clone already ("phan" in Rejects) that is the clone that Dan sends on the date, but then clone!Dan (who is Phil) ends up getting stood up anyway ("alone on date"), while real Dan decides to 'love himself' and has an orgy with all the other Dan clones.
fancybum
senpai

alittledizzy wrote: So I interpreted that Rejects 2 sketch scene to be: Dan is nervous about a date, Tom has the idea to send a clone. Because Phil is established as a Dan clone already ("phan" in Rejects) that is the clone that Dan sends on the date, but then clone!Dan (who is Phil) ends up getting stood up anyway ("alone on date"), while real Dan decides to 'love himself' and has an orgy with all the other Dan clones.
Ok I definitely forgot he was a clone too and just rewatched it, and he died at the end anyway. Plus he's written 'Phil', not 'Phil-clone' or 'phan'.. I think somebody needs to blackmail Tom to release the entire script and not just the confusing notes, if only so we could see what sentence he's written for Dan that ends with the word 'butt'. Who's got dirt and a hankering for blackmail?

/don't sue me, I'm joking.. mostly..
Thanks and have a great day! Oil me
autumnhearth
senpai

That fire looks terrifying. Hope you all are okay.

I'm currently rewatching the ls as there was a section that froze when I watched it the first time, starting at the first mention of Phil being away (horrible time to cut out) and including him not thinking his video background was pretty enough and talking about misreading names in the chat.

Does anyone know if he was referring to 'I Am Bread' here? At first I thought it was Phil's video and Tinder, but he hadn't got to that yet.
22:30 "'Dan, WTF is that video?' Yeah, that app, I'm sorry, honestly... need to just let things die, it's bad."

Do you think Dan knew what the person in the chat meant by "You shouldn't exist then" when he said "True"? Because I'm pretty sure they were trying to say he looks perfect like Chris Pine, which I don't disagree with, I just would expect Dan to disagree (which sucks).

Dan commenting on the appropriateness of shipping two bros hugging and sharing feelings during a stressful situation in space. Interesting.

Part of the YouTube community whether he likes it or not.

British politics is a fandom.

"Thanks Ed, lad, definitely on a watch list."

"What is the Dan that I'm putting out there on the world?"

51:30 On Tinder memes on Reddit: 'I'm about that community, Babadook, memes, ya know talking about ditties(?) It's all fun." (Does he mean songs? I'm so old.) Flash back to earlier comment about Pride: "It's a community that knows how to meme and that's all that's important to be honest." (What is my point? I don't know. I need to go to bed.)

Unlist the shit out of old channel trailer.

"Today's terrarium of the day is that one."

Ooo fancybum mentions and miscellaneous time stamps! Nice!

I just realized there are reflections to analyze in the ls video icon.

Tomorrow.
somethingsketchy
janice from the shop

I'm a bit confused about people freaking out about Phil going to visit his family. I mean, he is clearly very close with them, so why couldn't he go see them often without there needing to be an emergency. Besides, Phil mentioned in his last ls that Martyn had recently moved house and that he had given him a houseplant, so in my opinion it's plausible that his previous 'family thing' had something to do with that. Additionally, as someone already mentioned, it is Fathers' Day in the UK on Sunday.
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

How did I forget it's Father's Day, the ads have been slightly upsetting me for weeks (I'm tempted to get one anyway, some personalised date of birth history thing). So yeah, could be that, plus he likes to visit every few weeks, heck, who knows if it's even a special occasion.

I thought in Rejects that the Dan/Phil clone was credited as Phan, it stuck out to me that they used the word. Interesting take on it that Dan sends the Phil clone in his place. I can see the guys rejecting it for being too much, but then why would Tom put it on his blog, so maybe they found the notion funny even with shipping, maybe hoping we'd just laugh at the fandom shipping aspect. Tbh I wondered how the clone orgy would be done and it sounded a bit much to me. If anyone really likes clones, though, go watch Orphan Black, the final season just started.

That fire is terrible. There was a similar thing a few years ago in another part of London. That one at least affected a few floors and not the whole building. Fire is just the worst nightmare.
cringemonkey
drama llama

alittledizzy wrote: (click to read the whole thread for optimum fidget spinner exposure antics)
I can't decide if all this hilarious painstaking analysis of teeny tiny reflections is now an inside joke or completely serious - either way I love it. (idk where they're getting headboard from though it's definitely the office chair and a wall behind him which I think everyone here already agreed on)
droopy
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

Phil's triple-reflection reminds me of some celebrity, but I can't put my finger on it... maybe Benedict Cumberbatch? Except like, flattened Benny.

Also, congrats to onetruetrash for naming the thread!
jaej
moon room
Pronouns: he/they/idm

the discussion was a couple pages ago and hasn't popped up on this thread yet so i won't less this drag out, but you can be bi and only interested in dating/sleeping with a certain gender at that time, regardless of attraction! i only date men/masc people and have for a year or so, and i have a friend who always sets her tinder preferences to women though we'd both say we have an equal level of attraction between men and women.

don't think it's relevant for phil here, just a reason why it's not as simple as jumping to no-homoing immediately
my name is jaejmine masters and i have something to say. dan and phil have fucked up japan :japhan:
phil lester threw the first brick at stonewall, we love a queer icon :biflag:
captainspacecoat
stress mushroom

Finally watched the liveshow and I didn't really get negative vibes from Dan at all! I'd been avoiding watching it all day in case it made me stressed out, but it was fine. Nothing particularly extraordinary or anything, but pleasant for the most part.

I do agree that he came across a bit tense during the birthday present haul though - he seemed very self-aware to the point that he couldn't relax. I get he could come across as ungrateful as he seemed to be heavily relying on sarcasm as a way to avoid seeming too genuine/sincere, but I do think that he was mostly joking. I'm also sure those weren't the only presents he got, just the more jokey/light-hearted ones that he felt comfortable sharing.

I actually really relate to him re: birthdays and attention. I always get quite anxious around my birthday, as I can't stand the thought of arranging a day where all my friends focus on me and what I want. I'm very introverted, and indecisive, and I hate both being the centre of attention and being the one to decide what to do, so birthdays can be a struggle. I totally understood where he was coming from, and by the sounds of it his birthday celebrations were pretty chill with just a few friends.

re: Phil the Mysterious - I see no reason not to believe that Phil is genuinely at another family thing, but also even if it is an excuse and he's up to something (a secret project maybe, or just something else entirely) then that's fine, as he has no obligation to tell us exactly where he is 100% of the time. He's entitled to privacy, so he owes us no further explanation as to his whereabouts. Given it's Father's Day on Sunday in the UK, Cornelia tweeted about travelling to an island of some sort, and just that Phil heavily values time spent with family, I think it's probable he genuinely is just spending time with family and that's all there is to it!

re: fidget spinner photo
- To me it looks like Phil is sitting on the new office chair (from Dan's live shows) and leaning forward, hence the visibility of the back of the chair. I think the curved wall behind him is the wall beside the stairs that were visible in the photo Phil tweeted for Dan's birthday. Maybe? Although now I think about it, the shelves of DVDs should have then showed up in the reflection, so maybe not..
felucca
truth bomb

"Exposing themselves via fidget spinner" I gotta start coming here more often again, you guys are amazing.

I'm way behind on everything so I'm going to be super irrelevant now and talk about Shane and the Psychic Twins, putting it under a spoiler so people who aren't interested can skip it:
I finally got around to updating myself on whatever Shane Dawson and those Psychic Twins were saying about Deppy and uploaded the clip to my channel one week late ( ). And I've got a question for y'all about it.

At 0:55 the twins claim they know D&P saw their previous video with Shane (this one from 21 Dec 2016) because D&P made a reference to them in their next video, copying the twins' video ending catch-phrase "see you in the future." I'm a nitpick so I went to fact-check the twins' claim, and I can't find any videos from around that time of D&P saying "see you in the future" at the end - only "see you next time", "see you next year" etc. Am I missing a video or did the twins get the whole thing wrong?

Like I said, super irrelevant, but facts are important. :tsk:
Drug deal news:
- Added a new audiobook link since it was brought to my attention that some people had trouble viewing the existing link (but it works for others so I kept the first link too.)
- Added copy of "If Dan was a superhero.." since Dan made that video private recently.
- Added some beautiful new screenshots from Phil's lost video "The Wish", isn't he just such a stud:
A big thank you to everyone who keeps helping out, adding stuff and spotting mistakes.
dat veniam corvis, vexat censura columbas

:dh:
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

fancybum wrote:
alittledizzy wrote: So I interpreted that Rejects 2 sketch scene to be: Dan is nervous about a date, Tom has the idea to send a clone. Because Phil is established as a Dan clone already ("phan" in Rejects) that is the clone that Dan sends on the date, but then clone!Dan (who is Phil) ends up getting stood up anyway ("alone on date"), while real Dan decides to 'love himself' and has an orgy with all the other Dan clones.
Ok I definitely forgot he was a clone too and just rewatched it, and he died at the end anyway. Plus he's written 'Phil', not 'Phil-clone' or 'phan'.. I think somebody needs to blackmail Tom to release the entire script and not just the confusing notes, if only so we could see what sentence he's written for Dan that ends with the word 'butt'. Who's got dirt and a hankering for blackmail?

/don't sue me, I'm joking.. mostly..
I'd definitely forgotten that Phil the clone died. Okay now I'm willing to believe it might have actually been Tom writing Dan and Phil on a date.

I really want to see the entire script now too.
cringemonkey wrote: I can't decide if all this hilarious painstaking analysis of teeny tiny reflections is now an inside joke or completely serious - either way I love it. (idk where they're getting headboard from though it's definitely the office chair and a wall behind him which I think everyone here already agreed on)
I don't think it's an office chair. Maybe the wall, but the office chair that Dan uses doesn't have a headrest at the top that extend that far out. In fact the one behind Dan is so narrow that you can't usually see it behind his head. If the angle of the fidget spinner were warping the chair that much it would also be warping Phil's head that much. (And lbr Phil's head doesn't need any more warping.)

I do think it could be the sofa and a wall. But this is the bed that it would be, if it were a headboard - a white floating moon bed, just like Dan described.
LtrllySusan
lava lamp

You guys never fail to impress with your detective work. Has anyone found a link to purchasing said bed? Because... we are talking about two almost 2 metres tall guys that are supposed to sleep in that. Unless the diametre is way larger than that, that doesn't seem comfortable to share.
sparkle
blobfish

[offtopic]I'm home alone because my girlfriend is staying with her parents so I decided to make the monster pops from the Halloween baking video (didn't cover them in icing though because I HATE icing). Oh my god they're amazing.

I also didn't eat like half a tin of condensed milk while making them, you ate half a tin of condensed milk [/offtopic]
:sparkle: dan howell gives me life :sparkle:
don't waste your time
or time will waste you
:sparkle:
captainspacecoat
stress mushroom

Upon re-inspecting the photo I agree that it's not Dan's office chair as it doesn't have the head-rest - good observation! (Although, maybe the headrest is removable?) But I don't think that's a headboard behind him either, the one in the photo slopes at a different angle to whatever is behind Phil. Also, whatever's behind Phil doesn't look like it curves in the way the headboard does. In conclusion, I honestly have no idea what on earth is in the reflection of the fidget-spinner lmao
VengefulBlue
rainbow nerd
Pronouns: they/them

a bit of image searching says the bed shown is from the kaliedo collection of an italian company called euroform. problem is, the bed existed in 2010 and searches turn up no such company now, the site that's linked most often in articles about their round beds is shut down.
Bassoonage
drama llama

Maybe it's just because I'm from Southern California but it just looks like the headrest to a sunbathing chair to me. Especially with the neck rest. He's probably on the patio or something.

[offtopic]has anyone else seen the news about the London Fire? Truly terrible[/offtopic]
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

Oh, that screenshot of Phil is from a video called The Wish. Interesting. I found a few screenshots a while ago on Tumblr and just love the seventies dad disco vibe he has in that shirt, in those glasses and with that hair. I'm curious what on earth the wish was.

I've spent too much of today tweeting about the fire. So much dodgy crap is being exposed that's helped lead to it, it's sickening. The videos interviewing residents and the blog they set up about the risks of this just tell it all. Seems the expensive, but crap, cladding they put on the outside last year to make it look prettier would have burned fast, a lot of landlords who are also MPs voted against better building rules, it's all terrible.