Dan & Phil Part 49: Don't curl, quiff

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
Phantasy
woodland creature

sapienveneficus wrote:
Phantasy wrote:[offtopic]Am I kind of a dick for secretly wishing Phil (and Dan) would get their teeth straightened? I don't know if it's the new room lighting, new camera (or plethora of zoom-effects in the last gaming video), but my eyes keep focusing on Phil's teeth especially. Earlier in the thread when the topic was on Phil's hair, my though was I think his hair suits him well enough, it's just out dated and time for a change up—my eyes however keep lingering on their teeth (again maybe the better lighting/camera). I mean, they must have invisalign or something similar in the U.K. that's unobtrusive and not fixed into place unlike braces? Or maybe I'm being to vain and if they don't care why should I? [/offtopic]
You're not alone. Are you an American? Because I am, and I find that crooked teeth always stand out to me because they're so rare here in the states. They're a real anomaly. I don't think Phil's teeth are particularly bad, but they are noticeable.

[offtopic]What really drives me up a wall is when I see an American who's roughly my age (late 20s/early 30s) with crooked teeth. There's this YouTuber (I think her name is Lindsay Doe) who has this channel called Sexplanations. Anyhow, I watched a few of her videos back when her channel first launched, and I remember being so distracted by her teeth that I couldn't even process what she was saying. Scrolling down in the comments of those early videos, I was somewhat comforted to see that I wasn't alone. It wasn't that her teeth looked bad, I mean they REALLY did, but what set my brain off was how she could have teeth like that in the first place. Because when I heard her American accent and saw her teeth, that disconnect prompted me to do some research. I found out that she was born in the US, was a member of my generation, and that her parents have worked in higher education her whole life. Which means, there would have been no barriers standing in the way of her seeing an orthodontist and certainly her dentist would have recommended a visit. I should probably explain that, here in the states, braces are ridiculously common. The only kids who don't get them either live in abject poverty (and even then there are charities that provide orthodontic procedures for families who can't afford them) or are those lucky few born with perfect teeth. Therefore, there was no reason why this YouTuber wouldn't have had braces growing up. She hadn't spent her formative years in Russia, or living on a commune in the desert, and she made no mention in those few videos I saw of being abducted by aliens from the ages of 11-18. I couldn't get my head around it. When things don't make sense, it drives me crazy. And an American woman in her 30s having been raised in a middle class family would have had braces growing up; full stop.

UPDATE - She has since gotten invisaligns but has made no mention, as far as I'm aware, of why she never had braces growing up. So the mystery lives on. My money's on the aliens.[/offtopic]

Back to Dan and Phil. I do notice Phil's teeth, and while I think it'd be nice if he got them fixed, his teeth don't particularly bother me. Now, if Phil were an American, the anomaly of his crooked teeth would drive me nuts, and I wouldn't be able to watch his videos without wondering why he hadn't had braces growing up.
I am American too, and as other in the forum have pointed out it's probably my American-centric world view of cosmetic standards that draws my eyes to anything that isn't a magazine-ready Hollywood perfect smile. I would point out, it's also a YouTuber thing too, just look at Joey Graceffa, Tyler Oakley, Connor Franta, etc that all have these glamorous smiles—then switch over to D&P and there's a noticeable difference (which is fine! just noticeable.). I had braces and know the plight, but I know there are other less intrusive options such as Invisalign which is basically a clear resin retainer that can pop out anytime and gradually straightens teeth. I'm sure it's expensive as hell, but we are talking D&P here.

I totally agree with most here too that not having perfect teeth isn't at all a "problem" and can and does add character (take Louise for example, her teeth are relatively straight, but she's got a gap that I think totally adds to her charm). I totally get too that it can be an unhealthy and vain pursuit, and I've even seen some recent examples of social media stars (under 18 even!) get veneers and caps purely for cosmetics, which to me is bonkers. But in the US, braces are so routine I would not at all put it in the same category as a nose job or other cosmetic surgeries as some have implied.

I frankly thought it's been a good and illuminating topic to debate! (Which probably just goes to show we're so thirsty for content!)
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie
Pronouns: she/her

sapienveneficus wrote:
alittledizzy wrote:
You don't have live in 'abject poverty' to not be able to afford braces. Orthodontics is really fucking expensive, and not covered under CHIPS/children's medicaid. You can just be regular kinda-poor or have parents who do basically okay but still have a budget and put their limited money towards more immediate concerns. Charities who provide orthodontic procedures do so on a priority basis, and people who just want them for vanity purposes generally don't quality. As an adult, I don't have dental insurance and don't have a spare five thousand bucks to cover dentist bills for vanity purposes.

Signed, an millennial with poor parents and teeth that it sounds like you'd definitely judge.[/offtopic]
[offtopic]I wasn't sure if I should respond since the tone of what you posted was pretty pointed, but I thought I might as well try.

I'm not sure where you got the impression that I'd judge your teeth because you haven't had braces. What I was trying to explain in my post is a) what's common here in the states and b) how my brain processes anomalies. An American millennial with crooked teeth is an anomaly. Now, if there's an explanation, than that's the end of the story as far as I'm concerned. It's the lack of an explanation, the unsolved mystery if you will, that my brain can't get past. That's why I was so distracted by the Sexplanations host's teeth. Because something didn't add up. Does that make sense?[/offtopic]
[offtopic]An American millennial with crooked teeth is not an anomaly to me, I would say less than half of the people in my school who had them, and my school ranged from kids actually in poverty to kids from middle class families. Either way - hearing that you require a reason or someone must affirm their poverty to you before you decide to withhold judgement on crooked teeth doesn't actually feel any less judgmental, you know? But this entire topic just makes me feel kind of weird and bad and like I'm back in high school being made fun of by someone more well off so I'm gonna step off now.[/offtopic]

Anyway, here are some more puppy gifs:
Image Image
gif credit wokephil
sapienveneficus
rainbow nerd

Phantasy wrote:
I am American too, and as other in the forum have pointed out it's probably my American-centric world view of cosmetic standards that draws my eyes to anything that isn't a magazine-ready Hollywood perfect smile. I would point out, it's also a YouTuber thing too, just look at Joey Graceffa, Tyler Oakley, Connor Franta, etc that all have these glamorous smiles—then switch over to D&P and there's a noticeable difference (which is fine! just noticeable.). I had braces and know the plight, but I know there are other less intrusive options such as Invisalign which is basically a clear resin retainer that can pop out anytime and gradually straightens teeth. I'm sure it's expensive as hell, but we are talking D&P here.

I totally agree with most here too that not having perfect teeth isn't at all a "problem" and can and does add character (take Louise for example, her teeth are relatively straight, but she's got a gap that I think totally adds to her charm). I totally get too that it can be an unhealthy and vain pursuit, and I've even seen some recent examples of social media stars (under 18 even!) get veneers and caps purely for cosmetics, which to me is bonkers. But in the US, braces are so routine I would not at all put it in the same category as a nose job or other cosmetic surgeries as some have implied.

I frankly thought it's been a good and illuminating topic to debate! (Which probably just goes to show we're so thirsty for content!)
[offtopic]Yeah, we Americans do have a bit of a thing about teeth. Do you know the comedian Craig Ferguson? He used to host the late late show on CBS (RIP Geoff, the gay skeleton robot). Anyhow, Craig is Scottish and loved to tell stories on the show about his first trip to America as a teenager. He could do a solid 5 minutes just on teeth. Teenage Craig thought that all Americans did was chew gum and show off their teeth. His comedy was where I first encountered an outsider's perspective on Americans and their teeth. It's made me a little curious to know where our culture around perfect teeth comes from. Were the Puritans particularly fussed about their teeth?[/offtopic]
"Someone, somewhere is into that." Daniel Howell
ArtyJim
glabella

alittledizzy wrote:
sapienveneficus wrote:
alittledizzy wrote:
You don't have live in 'abject poverty' to not be able to afford braces. Orthodontics is really fucking expensive, and not covered under CHIPS/children's medicaid. You can just be regular kinda-poor or have parents who do basically okay but still have a budget and put their limited money towards more immediate concerns. Charities who provide orthodontic procedures do so on a priority basis, and people who just want them for vanity purposes generally don't quality. As an adult, I don't have dental insurance and don't have a spare five thousand bucks to cover dentist bills for vanity purposes.

Signed, an millennial with poor parents and teeth that it sounds like you'd definitely judge.[/offtopic]
[offtopic]I wasn't sure if I should respond since the tone of what you posted was pretty pointed, but I thought I might as well try.

I'm not sure where you got the impression that I'd judge your teeth because you haven't had braces. What I was trying to explain in my post is a) what's common here in the states and b) how my brain processes anomalies. An American millennial with crooked teeth is an anomaly. Now, if there's an explanation, than that's the end of the story as far as I'm concerned. It's the lack of an explanation, the unsolved mystery if you will, that my brain can't get past. That's why I was so distracted by the Sexplanations host's teeth. Because something didn't add up. Does that make sense?[/offtopic]
[offtopic]An American millennial with crooked teeth is not an anomaly to me, I would say less than half of the people in my school who had them, and my school ranged from kids actually in poverty to kids from middle class families. Either way - hearing that you require a reason or someone must affirm their poverty to you before you decide to withhold judgement on crooked teeth doesn't actually feel any less judgmental, you know? But this entire topic just makes me feel kind of weird and bad and like I'm back in high school being made fun of by someone more well off so I'm gonna step off now.[/offtopic]

Anyway, here are some more puppy gifs:
Image Image
gif credit wokephil
honestly I'm with you here. i wonder if it's maybe a regional thing because i'm on the west coast and it's not at all an anomaly to have less than perfect teeth. even though people keep bringing up ~hollywood. (hollywood is super fake lol).
apathy
sad dimple

sapienveneficus wrote:[offtopic]What really drives me up a wall is when I see an American who's roughly my age (late 20s/early 30s) with crooked teeth.[/offtopic]
Wow. Yikes. I'm American, not too far from your age, and I didn't have braces growing up, because I didn't want them and they weren't necessary, so why would I suffer through that? Plus even then, I thought it was stupid for anyone to think less of me just because of something ridiculous like that, when it isn't even a problem. What a CRAZY mystery.

But you win, of course, because I'm sure you have lots of perfect-toothed friends, while I sit alone in my cave of permanent self-hatred because society has successfully taught me that I'm a failure at life, since only appearance matters and therefore I'm worthless and unwanted because I'm ugly. So don't worry - I have no confidence to approach you in person, and you wouldn't dare speak to someone that looks like me, so I won't have to personally mystify you with my slight overbite, which is one of the least horrifying on the list of things wrong with me.
sapienveneficus wrote: I'm not sure where you got the impression that I'd judge your teeth because you haven't had braces.
You literally said you were "so distracted by her teeth that I couldn't even process what she was saying" and you were "comforted" that other people said the same in the comments - as in publicly and in front of her face telling her that her appearance is a problem ("REALLY" bad as you said) and she's not even watchable as she is. Personally I'd classify that under judging, in a very harmful and humiliating way. Not only for her, but anyone else reading stuff like that who can't afford to "fix" it.

Sorry, but as someone who has experienced random strangers irl giving me unsolicited "helpful advice" about how to fix my appearance, this really hits home for me in lots of bad ways.
That's my socializing quota for the month up.
argo
crusty sponge

[offtopic]Just adding to the orthodontics conversation - my parents had decent jobs but orthodontics were just a bit out of budget while I was a child. Also I went to the orthodontist when I was 15 and he told me I couldn't have braces until I got my jaw cut in half and moved forward with metal bars (my lower jaw is underdeveloped). Insurance won't cover that procedure because it's considered cosmetic (even though I have breathing problems and jaw pain).[/offtopic]
fancybum
senpai

[offtopic]Not to add to any kind of pile-on, sapienveneficus, but that was one of the strangest comments I've read in awhile. I went to that person's channel half-expecting her teeth to be growing out of her forehead from the way you were talking about her (like she belonged in some kind of old timey sideshow), and she looks like a normal pretty person, equally so before and after any noticeable teeth adjustments. I know you were just sharing your particular thought process and didn't consider it to be judgemental, but it's exactly that kind of thinking I expected from other people that made me so self-conscious about my teeth before having braces. I didn't necessarily feel better about myself afterward so much as I felt less potential for negative judgement by others. People love to say it's what's on the inside that matters blah blah blah, imperfections are beautiful, but nope everybody's looking at what doesn't align, what isn't symmetrical or perfect and your comment just really drove that home (like 'oh yes, I should have been covering my mouth when I smiled and I should have been hyper-aware of where people were looking, good, I've been trained well by society to dislike parts of myself that could be even slightly unappealing to others, gold star for me'). It comes off as such an unkind thought to share. And yeah, not that the internet is all about being kind, but ouch. Nobody should have to feel the need to justify, explain or 'excuse' their teeth (or anything) because somebody else isn't zazzed about how they look. [/offtopic]
Thanks and have a great day! Oil me
onetruetrash
blobfish

[offtopic]That comment was really uncalled for. Her teeth aren't that bad and neither are Dan and Phil's. I'm also American and it's not that strange to see someone with an overbite, slightly crooked teeth, etc. Some people are born with a Hollywood smile, others, like me, are not. Phil doesn't need to get his teeth fixed, his teeth are fine. Dan doesn't seem to have anything "wrong" with his teeth. Maybe instead of them "fixing" their teeth, maybe you can fix your attitude about people with crooked teeth and realize that just because doesn't have perfectly straight teeth, it's not because they're poor, but maybe because they don't feel the need to adjust to a ridiculous beauty standard.[/offtopic]
eevee
emo goose

onetruetrash wrote:For me, it's not the amount of videos they upload, but the fact that nothing is really happening. Like I said, once their secret project is revealed, my excitement will probably be renewed.
What do you mean by nothing is happening? We're getting lots of youtube videos of and by them. That's what youtubers do, they make youtube videos about their lives. Usually their lives are generally uneventful in the grand scheme of things, but that's the charm. People like to watch real people, not actors, living their real, normal lives. It's the reality show appeal with less crazy drama. That's what's happening.

The fact that you want a project of some sort caught me off-guard. Maybe it's because I've been a dedicated youtube viewer since 2007ish before they were stars with other things to pursue. But right now, I'm extremely happy that Dan and Phil aren't doing a project. I like watching youtubers be youtubers: normal people who live and/or recount their lives on camera. I don't watch youtubers to read their books and go to their shows.

It all feels very calm and blissful right now in deppy world. I'm on cloud nine.
Phil looks like he went to sleep at 6 AM and is dying inside, Dan glows like he spent the night having orgasms - Ticia
captainspacecoat
stress mushroom

SneakyLizard wrote:I get really excited when they're happy, and they look so flipping happy right now. I think it's cause, kind of opposite to captainspacecoat, I find I'm more deeply into every video and event and interaction when I'm not *not* in a good place mentally. Kind of like some kind of vicarious happiness. I've been struggling a bit since March and Dan and Phil have given me something positive to look forward to after work every day. It's also so encouraging to see the strong partnership and genuine affection between them because it makes me think I could maybe have that too someday. It's nice. They're nice.
Interesting! I actually know what you mean - last year was objectively just a pretty awful year for me, and Dan and Phil were such a wonderful distraction from everything going on with my life. That still stands actually, and they continue to be a bright light/mood-booster when everything is crumbling around me. I do think though that when I'm in a particularly negative headspace I tend to fall into negative thought patterns, so what happened a few weeks ago is that I started to view dnp in a negative light. As such, I lost interest in them and started to view them in a kind of hopeless way (I started to second-guess their intentions, found their videos lacklustre, questioned the nature of their relationship etc), which soured my mood even further. That's 100% on me though, and now that I'm feeling much better I view them super positively again, and am genuinely basking in all the wonderful things they've done this year.

re: teeth - I guess I just really don't understand how someone else's crooked teeth could bother someone in any way? As someone who had to get braces in order for my wisdom teeth to have room to come through (and whose parents scraped together every last penny to afford them, as it was that or have my wisdom teeth removed, both of which are expensive procedures) it makes me so uncomfortable to think that anyone would find another person's mildly crooked or 'imperfect' teeth so bothersome that they'd need to comment on them. Don't really get how it impacts your life in any way, and there are a million reasons someone may choose not to get braces despite 'needing' them (expense, pain, or even just because they don't regard it as necessary and that's their choice).
eevee wrote: Maybe it's because I've been a dedicated youtube viewer since 2007ish before they were stars with other things to pursue. But right now, I'm extremely happy that Dan and Phil aren't doing a project. I like watching youtubers be youtubers: normal people who live and/or recount their lives on camera. I don't watch youtubers to read their books and go to their shows.

It all feels very calm and blissful right now in deppy world. I'm on cloud nine.
God me too! While I support dnp in all their endeavours, I must admit that I'd be quite happy if there were no secret projects on the cards. I wasn't super into tab/tinof personally, so the amount of time they spent on that didn't entice or excite me at all (I actually stopped watching them at the time that all began, and only returned last year). That's just me being selfish, and I'm glad they did the book and tour as it was fulfilling for them and also for a lot of viewers, but what I personally love best is the quiet and the calm and the domesticity, and I'm 100% mostly here for their youtube channels (the gaming channel in particular). Having said that, I have no doubt that there is a secret project on the cards, and I'm both intrigued and trepidatious about what that is haha
onetruetrash
blobfish

eevee wrote:
onetruetrash wrote:For me, it's not the amount of videos they upload, but the fact that nothing is really happening. Like I said, once their secret project is revealed, my excitement will probably be renewed.
What do you mean by nothing is happening? We're getting lots of youtube videos of and by them. That's what youtubers do, they make youtube videos about their lives. Usually their lives are generally uneventful in the grand scheme of things, but that's the charm. People like to watch real people, not actors, living their real, normal lives. It's the reality show appeal with less crazy drama. That's what's happening.

The fact that you want a project of some sort caught me off-guard. Maybe it's because I've been a dedicated youtube viewer since 2007ish before they were stars with other things to pursue. But right now, I'm extremely happy that Dan and Phil aren't doing a project. I like watching youtubers be youtubers: normal people who live and/or recount their lives on camera. I don't watch youtubers to read their books and go to their shows.

Yeah, they're uploading, but they're videos are just all kinda the same. I know, I know, I'm expecting too much, but I don't know how else to describe it. Yes, they're uploading, but nothing new or different is happening.
eevee
emo goose

onetruetrash wrote:Yeah, they're uploading, but they're videos are just all kinda the same. I know, I know, I'm expecting too much, but I don't know how else to describe it. Yes, they're uploading, but nothing new or different is happening.
Do you watch any other youtubers? If so, what happens in their lives that is constantly different and exciting?
captainspacecoat wrote:God me too! While I support dnp in all their endeavours, I must admit that I'd be quite happy if there were no secret projects on the cards. I wasn't super into tab/tinof personally, so the amount of time they spent on that didn't entice or excite me at all (I actually stopped watching them at the time that all began, and only returned last year). That's just me being selfish, and I'm glad they did the book and tour as it was fulfilling for them and also for a lot of viewers, but what I personally love best is the quiet and the calm and the domesticity, and I'm 100% mostly here for their youtube channels (the gaming channel in particular). Having said that, I have no doubt that there is a secret project on the cards, and I'm both intrigued and trepidatious about what that is haha
Phil looks like he went to sleep at 6 AM and is dying inside, Dan glows like he spent the night having orgasms - Ticia
pastelspectre
stress mushroom
Pronouns: he/him

hello i am alive and well but i was on a bus and train to new york that took ages and was very busy in the last few days and whatnot and i have some things to say:
the mario kart video
i'm in love??? could they be even cuter together wtf. i love them so much and i would totally join the phan prix if i had a nintendo switch (which i really, /really/ want mostly for that game and sonic forces and others) and like.. goodness just. the bants and everything about that video was perfect. i was giggling so many times at their jokes.

the catrific phan dog video
fucking adorable aaa. i don't watch cat at all tbh unless deppy is in there oops (i am still subbed tho), but it was adorable as hell. it really lifted up the bad mood i was in. i was smiling the whole time!! i might rewatch it along with the mario kart video later.

teeth discussion
can we not pls. not everyone is privileged enough to get braces or things like that. i was told i could get braces but they weren't too necessary for me. my sister on the other hand, who is 12, absolutely needs braces and needs them asap. however, my mom, who is a single mom taking care of me and my little sister (taking care of me bc i do not have a job, but i am going to college soon and doing /something/ with my life finally), cannot afford to get my sister braces at this time. they're expensive as hell and the insurance my sister has does not cover them fully unfortunately. my mom is a single mom who already has other things to worry about like having enough food, washing clothes, taking care of dishes, dinner, things like that (which i help her with sometimes, mostly with dishes and clothes), and taking care of braces is a huge strain on top of those many things she already does.

maybe dan and phil could get their teeth straightened, but in the end it's their choice, and they've expressed in the past that they don't want braces or anything like that. why is this even a discussion??
:transheart:
jesuisunèléve
phabergé

apathy wrote:
sapienveneficus wrote:[offtopic]What really drives me up a wall is when I see an American who's roughly my age (late 20s/early 30s) with crooked teeth.[/offtopic]
Wow. Yikes. I'm American, not too far from your age, and I didn't have braces growing up, because I didn't want them and they weren't necessary, so why would I suffer through that? Plus even then, I thought it was stupid for anyone to think less of me just because of something ridiculous like that, when it isn't even a problem. What a CRAZY mystery.
But you win, of course, because I'm sure you have lots of perfect-toothed friends, while I sit alone in my cave of permanent self-hatred because society has successfully taught me that I'm a failure at life, since only appearance matters and therefore I'm worthless and unwanted because I'm ugly.
So don't worry - I have no confidence to approach you in person, and you wouldn't dare speak to someone that looks like me, so I won't have to personally mystify you with my slight overbite, which is one of the least horrifying on the list of things wrong with me.
sapienveneficus wrote: I'm not sure where you got the impression that I'd judge your teeth because you haven't had braces.
You literally said you were "so distracted by her teeth that I couldn't even process what she was saying" and you were "comforted" that other people said the same in the comments - as in publicly and in front of her face telling her that her appearance is a problem ("REALLY" bad as you said) and she's not even watchable as she is. Personally I'd classify that under judging, in a very harmful and humiliating way. Not only for her, but anyone else reading stuff like that who can't afford to "fix" it.

Sorry, but as someone who has experienced random strangers irl giving me unsolicited "helpful advice" about how to fix my appearance, this really hits home for me in lots of bad ways.
I laughed at the bolded part because it's trueas well as funny. It is a shallow topic to talk about, and suddenly there is body shaming for not fixing what something THINKS we should fix.

Now, maybe it is very American to have straight teeth, but braces are a pain and then there is constant maintenance for the rest of your life because your teeth will move back. In my experience, braces as a kid are more for physical reasons than aesthetic. My brother had 11 extra teeth, so they pulled those, and put him in braces so everything could grow together. My friends kid had an entire EXTRA set of upper teeth that were pulled and he got braces to push everything together. Braces aren't mandatory: they are expensive, there's tons of follow ups while you have them on, and then once they are off you can watch your teeth move back to where they were, retainers or not.
jesuisunèléve
phabergé

jesuisunèléve wrote:
apathy wrote:
But you win, of course, because I'm sure you have lots of perfect-toothed friends, while I sit alone in my cave of permanent self-hatred because society has successfully taught me that I'm a failure at life, since only appearance matters and therefore I'm worthless and unwanted because I'm ugly.
So don't worry - I have no confidence to approach you in person, and you wouldn't dare speak to someone that looks like me, so I won't have to personally mystify you with my slight overbite, which is one of the least horrifying on the list of things wrong with me.

I laughed at the bolded part because it's trueas well as funny. It is a shallow topic to talk about, and suddenly there is body shaming for not fixing what something THINKS we should fix.

Now, maybe it is very American to have straight teeth, but braces are a pain and then there is constant maintenance for the rest of your life because your teeth will move back. In my experience, braces as a kid are more for physical reasons than aesthetic. My brother had 11 extra teeth, so they pulled those, and put him in braces so everything could grow together. My friends kid had an entire EXTRA set of upper teeth that were pulled and he got braces to push everything together. Braces aren't mandatory: they are expensive, there's tons of follow ups while you have them on, and then once they are off you can watch your teeth move back to where they were, retainers or not.
Also, has anyone else noticed when there's nothing to talk about the discussions go sideways?
thephandommenace
procrastinator
Pronouns: they/them

jesuisunèléve wrote:Also, has anyone else noticed when there's nothing to talk about the discussions go sideways?

Me waking up to check the forum this morning:

When I was little I thought braces were a fashion choice rather than something used to straighten your teeth lol. I've already said my piece on teeth so moving on:

re: bored of deppy
I felt the same after the first few months of falling down the rabbit hole, when the initial infatuation wore off. My usual lifespan for a fandom is 5 months (and with deps it's now been 7-8, go figure). This is my first fandom where I've felt so committed and part of a community so it's all very new for me. I would so much rather have this regular content than the drought. I feel so lucky I wasn't present for that. It was Gamingmas that really drew me back in and I don't think I could cope with them going back to one video a month. Now that the infatuation is gone I feel like I'm settling into a long-term relationship where I'm just comfortable, and I'm still excited and in love whenever deppy do cute things like play with a puppy.

It's IDB that really keeps my interest too. Until the teeth discussion there hasn't been such a stream of posts lately which might have led to people feeling bored as well.
teamug
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

teeth (omg why, but might as well add my perspective):
I grew up a child in european countries, a pre-teen/early teen in New York and a young adult in northern europe and mid 20's in Chicago. Vague and specific enough for this tooth debate. Many many kids in New York had braces and used night time things in their mouths, and they were common topics, common sources of complaints. Before the US, my dentists in europe had never mentioned braces or anything to my parents, my lower front teeth are very noticeably wonky (tho I enjoy biting into things and leaving funky impressions). My dentists in New York immediately suggested braces but revealed that I didn't particulary need them, but it was best to put them on a kid and not an adult. I did not get braces. But the societal pressure for "good teeth" was pervasive, I remember being made to feel bad and less because I didn't have braces, that I chose (my parents chose) not to 'take care of myself'. Fortunately I had good friends and their families and other foreigners around me to keep my self-worth, but I remember a couple times I begged my parents for braces, just so I could fit in, just so I could be like everyone else. Amazing, all that emotion and stress over perfect teeth. Back to Europe and braces were never mentioned or suggested. And by the time I went back the the States (10 yrs later)(the windy city) dentists and people were far more relaxed and tbh I wasn't paying any attention to teeth.
I will just add one last thought to the US teeth standards, that i think are very inaccurately represented by Hollywood. The very bright shiney whiteness I find more disturbing than 'straightness'. It looks artificial, but this is just my personal opinion, BUT on tv and in movies, it turns into one of my pet peeves, you can't take a character seriously if it's set pre-1980's and someone had bright white teeth. come on.
to make the post deppy relevant:
are dog cafe's a thing? Actually screw deppy, I want to go to a dog cafe. All those licks, little noses and head bumps...Crap. Back to Deppy...I'd like to see more little short ditl's, or pics, and before I get accused of being a voyeur, I actually like pics of views more than people (even deppy). Here I am stuck looking at the same things everyday, if someone gets the chance to travel, I'd be happy to look at something other than the wall I am currently facing.
plath
sofa crease

The American cultural attitude about teeth really baffle me tbh. The European philosophy is generally "if it's not a medical problem, leave it alone". Why put your child through an expensive, painful procedure if it's not necessary?

I'm not familiar first-hand with Asia or other regions, but from what I know about Japanese culture this mentality also seems to be there, too. It's really only North America that are so fixated on teeth, lol.
ANYWAY, back on topic...where are the guys right now? Have they come back from Vidcon yet?
nope.
Anonymousse
flower crown
Pronouns: Any

[offtopic]I literally went through Deppys photos to see if they have crooked teeth and to be honest... I don't see it man.

But then again I'm European and people here get braces only if they actually have problems with their teeth, not to make them ultra-straight (How heteronormative).

tl;dr: I don't see it.
[/offtopic]
But who the fuck am I kidding? I'm mostly just the rotting banana peel at the bottom of the phan trash can who genuinely gets excited over the thought of them snuggling in bed. Idgaf let a bitch live
- Manged

somethingsketchy
janice from the shop

plath wrote: ANYWAY, back on topic...where are the guys right now? Have they come back from Vidcon yet?
If Phil's tweet from Thursday is to be believed, they have come home. edit: Apparently I'm *editing tips* now. Didn't see that one coming. :D
Last edited by somethingsketchy on Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
DryCereal
koi pond

000dia000 wrote: this is very boring
Add in this: and imagine a repeat of this:

not boring anymore...

[offtopic]Having had a metric fuckload of NECESSARY orthodontic work done when I was a child, (I do have straight teeth on top, not on bottom, because i was so DONE with dentists and didn't want to go through more painful treatment just to straighten them for no other reason) it's not something I would push on someone for having slightly crooked teeth. And yes, D/P, like most Europeans don't have perfectly straight teeth, whoop-de-frick. I equate it with plastic surgery. Get it if you think it will make you happy/happier, but don't judge others.[/offtopic]
IckleMissMayhem's evil fic writing alter ego. :twisted:
onetruetrash
blobfish

eevee wrote:
onetruetrash wrote:Yeah, they're uploading, but they're videos are just all kinda the same. I know, I know, I'm expecting too much, but I don't know how else to describe it. Yes, they're uploading, but nothing new or different is happening.
Do you watch any other youtubers? If so, what happens in their lives that is constantly different and exciting?
I do, but I watch other YouTubers very casually. Dan and Phil are my obsession. I was just saying how I feel.
somethingsketchy
janice from the shop

I just found this photo in the "dan and phil" tag on Tumblr. So cute.
[tumblr] <div class="tumblr-post" data-href="https://embed.tumblr.com/embed/post/nsA ... 2505828252" data-did="da39a3ee5e6b4b0d3255bfef95601890afd80709">[/tumblr]
Ablissa
pastel persona

[offtopic] teeth discussion
This is what I meant in my earlier post when I said Phil might feel bad reading opinions on things he can't change about himself (I agree with you though, dizzy, that he probably wouldn't and it's me projecting).
Having woken up and come back to read IDB, I now feel bad too, because I'm European and my teeth aren't perfect at all. In fact, I'm insecure about them and always cover my mouth when I laugh, and objectively speaking they're not that bad. Seeing such comments only makes me all the more insecure :/ I definitely can't afford an orthodontist, so it's nothing I can change about myself right now.
I really think it's a cultural thing. That youtuber you mentioned has perfectly normal teeth to me.
A lot of people my age (I'm 26) don't have perfect teeth. My friends often discuss wanting braces, but having to save up for months, and going for the cheapest possible option. Americans do often have great smiles and I envy them, but let's not push that standard on to everyone else.[/offtopic]

Deppy boredom?
I actually love the domestic happiness they've been giving us recently. I'm in a different kind of boat - I'm kind of scared of change right now. I don't want things to go back to the way they were, I love this side of D&P that we're getting to see these days. And I'm not bored at all, despite 4? active years in the fandom.
plath
sofa crease

Thanks to those who answered my question!! Good to know. I guess they're just resting up and enjoying hibernation mode after vidcon. Maaaybe we'll get a liveshow on Tuesday???
Ablissa wrote: This is what I meant in my earlier post when I said Phil might feel bad reading opinions on things he can't change about himself (I agree with you though, dizzy, that he probably wouldn't and it's me projecting).
Having woken up and come back to read IDB, I now feel bad too, because I'm European and my teeth aren't perfect at all. In fact, I'm insecure about them and always cover my mouth when I laugh, and objectively speaking they're not that bad. Seeing such comments only makes me all the more insecure :/ I definitely can't afford an orthodontist, so it's nothing I can change about myself right now.
I really think it's a cultural thing. That youtuber you mentioned has perfectly normal teeth to me.
A lot of people my age (I'm 26) don't have perfect teeth. My friends often discuss wanting braces, but having to save up for months, and going for the cheapest possible option. Americans do often have great smiles and I envy them, but let's not push that standard on to everyone else.
Oh no, please don't feel bad about your teeth! I'm the same way, my upper front teeth are a bit crooked and it never used to bother me until I started spending a lot of time online and realised that Americans find crooked teeth disgusting. It's just cultural differences - I'm sure your everyday pals and coworkers don't even notice your teeth. I once talked to a friend about my teeth and she was like ???? she hadn't even noticed there was anything "different" about them! Something that I had been obsessing over hadn't even registered with her! So please don't worry about it and try not to feel too self-conscious. People our age are struggling just to make rent every month, the last thing we need is to try finding money for unnecessary cosmetic procedures to fit in with beauty standards from the other side of the planet!
nope.