Dan & Phil Part 49: Don't curl, quiff

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
eevee
emo goose

Yes Phil does look really hot in this video, i agree with yall.

oh and how could i forget:

CHERRY or pina COLAta haribo dan?

Phil looks like he went to sleep at 6 AM and is dying inside, Dan glows like he spent the night having orgasms - Ticia
applesauce
not a first-time poster

pausing my lurking to shout out the cameo in today's vid of the cinematic treasure that is man on wire

seriously go watch it

+1 on the phil love forever and always

also hi
Last edited by applesauce on Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pastelspectre
stress mushroom
Pronouns: he/him

good video!! i should probably not be hyped up when dan hypes up a video lol but oh well. still a good video!! cute bants and i like how they can get into some sort of "deep" (well deep for me, sort of? idk) conversations about womens rights and stuff like that. also deppy both looked so good in this video aaaa
:transheart:
Susanisnotafish
flower crown
Pronouns: She/her

All I can think of is how did Phil become acquainted with a surfer? I need a phan fic.
"Rub those freckles all over me!" --Daniel Howell
droopy
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie
Pronouns: she/her

idk about you guys, but all I got out of this video is that both Dan and Phil think Michael Phelps is sexy, and that's good enough for me.

(Happy Pride! )
All I can think of is how did Phil become acquainted with a surfer? I need a phan fic.
edit: it's probably a buddy/flirt from his old Snowdude days if we're being realistic.
eevee
emo goose

Susanisnotafish wrote:All I can think of is how did Phil become acquainted with a surfer? I need a phan fic.
i would also love to know this. a world traveling surfer.

also sorry for the redic top of the page post guys lol!
Phil looks like he went to sleep at 6 AM and is dying inside, Dan glows like he spent the night having orgasms - Ticia
Stakhanov
haru pillow
Pronouns: he / him

I fell for the low key Dan hype again. I expected something unusual after that liveshow comment but it was yo typical D&P gaming channel vid. Reminded me of the geoguessr video, which I also enjoyed a lot. Just like Mandy and Eevee I love it when they play these type of flash "games" because they usually bant more and tell more stories.

For sure a funny video. My favorite part was the coincidence discussion and the Sam story. It's a nice demonstration of how they are complete opposites in some areas. Some great one-liners by Phil. "Apex predator" "Search your sports and your feminism" The playful Phil slaps were also very endearing, 12:43 looked especially platonic ;) Also, what is that look Dan gives Phil at 11:24. It's like he's saying 'careful, don't reveal to much here'. Are they planning a trip to Dubai or Asia (with a stop in Dubai) ?

This brings me to some other random thoughts. Dan says somewhere in the beginning of the video that he doesn't like these google games because they give indications about what they surf about. Some of the topics certainly seemed oddly specific, like it was inspired by actual or related searches they did. Adam Curtis and vaseline come to mind. Also, Tampa bay and Disneyland (both Florida). And lots of politics, which should be no surprise giving Dan's reddit habits.
So what is the red wire here between strip clubs and the many uses of vaseline? What have you been searching for exactly? Anyone have any idea how these search algorithms work?
Is this going to be that time where our collaborate research efforts into their dirty browser history laundry will coincidentally - or should i say serendipitously- lead to breakthroughs into field of A.I. and search bots ?
Finding my own inarticulate prose
Weirding out strangers and laughing at those
Jaundiced and jaded, postured and posed
Not that we’re special it’s just that we’re
Closing in on a place where we might get to be
Living real people regularly
MaggieW
glabella

I really liked the video, I enjoy these kind of videos because they end up talking about politics and stuff and I find that interesting.

Phil was specially great this time, I loved that bit about Beyoncé being the queen and whenever he tried to justify his choices in the game, it was entertaining. Dan was great too, when he said 'come to Brazil' I just snorted. I wish they would come to latin america

Also the vaseline part amazing
Moonbeamsonthepath
living flop
Pronouns: she

Stakhanov wrote:
This brings me to some other random thoughts. Dan says somewhere in the beginning of the video that he doesn't like these google games because they give indications about what they surf about. Some of the topics certainly seemed oddly specific, like it was inspired by actual or related searches they did. Adam Curtis and vaseline come to mind. Also, Tampa bay and Disneyland (both Florida). And lots of politics, which should be no surprise giving Dan's reddit habits.
So what is the red wire here between strip clubs and the many uses of vaseline? What have you been searching for exactly? Anyone have any idea how these search algorithms work?
Is this going to be that time where our collaborate research efforts into their dirty browser history laundry will coincidentally - or should i say serendipitously- lead to breakthroughs into field of A.I. and search bots ?
Interesting.

Also:
Phil: I think it's DESTINY and that me and Sam are meant to team up and-
Dan: NO NONOONO
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

Another thrilling installment in the Dan Shouldn't Hype Videos saga, but it was a very enjoyable video nonetheless.

I like them talking about stuff and games like this allows that to happen by even providing topics. Like the coincidence argument, nothing sums up their personalities more and I love it. Lots of good one liners as well, mostly by Phil who was really shining in this episode. Also I can't believe Dan is standing in the way of true love smh. Phil and Sam are obviously meant to be, it's destiny!
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
000dia000
emo goose

I do not see Phil's eye concealer no matter what quality I put on the video, I'm sorry guys you'll need to actual find a good example, I'm blind I loved that video, Phil was particularly Phil and I loved thinly veiled jealous Dan (I know his behaviour could be cast as him just amping it up for entertainment, but it was still hilarious.).

I remain kind of confused by Dan's treatment of the video, he keeps calling the comparison of searches for topics "controversial" and some of the results "offensive". His tweets:
Now, obviously what Hitler is known for, believed in, and has followers for is obvious reason for why he is despised, but I'm curious how references to his book and WW2 is in any way sensitive material? They're an essential part to history, and Mein Kempf is studied as a text in history for it's propaganda purposes. So, is Dan actually offended by the content of the game? Does he believe people in his audience are sensitive enough to be, or is he using hyperbolic language to explain his annoyance of Hitler references everywhere?. I don't know what it is, but it's awfully strange, I wonder if Dan has a warped idea of what people can be offended by, I'm not sure what he knows how people feel, maybe it's a Tumblr culture thing. I know this point doesn't prompt much discussion or explanation, but it's at least an observation about Dan, idek.
:cactus:
Stakhanov
haru pillow

000dia000 wrote:I do not see Phil's eye concealer no matter what quality I put on the video, I'm sorry guys you'll need to actual find a good example, I'm blind I loved that video, Phil was particularly Phil and I loved thinly veiled jealous Dan (I know his behaviour could be cast as him just amping it up for entertainment, but it was still hilarious.).

I remain kind of confused by Dan's treatment of the video, he keeps calling the comparison of searches for topics "controversial" and some of the results "offensive". His tweets:
Now, obviously what Hitler is known for, believed in, and has followers for is obvious reason for why he is despised, but I'm curious how references to his book and WW2 is in any way sensitive material? They're an essential part to history, and Mein Kempf is studied as a text in history for it's propaganda purposes. So, is Dan actually offended by the content of the game? Does he believe people in his audience are sensitive enough to be, or is he using hyperbolic language to explain his annoyance of Hitler references everywhere?. I don't know what it is, but it's awfully strange, I wonder if Dan has a warped idea of what people can be offended by, I'm not sure what he knows how people feel, maybe it's a Tumblr culture thing. I know this point doesn't prompt much discussion or explanation, but it's at least an observation about Dan, idek.
I think it's more about the whole pewdiepie nazism drama, and the whole youtube boycot and advertisement revenue crisis that followed out of that. They probably are very keen on avoiding being flagged for racism, or god knows how exactly youtube works out what content is offensive.
And yes they both are very careful to avoid as much controversy as possible. Phil i think, mostly avoids it by avoiding talking about things like politics or other things.
Dan can't help himself, he just is a bit more problematique even if he tries very hard to be diplomatique (to use his own diss) :) I could think of a whole lot of reasons of why they might have a warped idea of what people can be offended by - and I can understand why they err on the side of caution. It's not always easy to predict what an audience will be sensitive about. I'm getting vietnam flashbacks about the Inuit monument in the Dapgo book. Even if there are some valid points raised, it's not always the things that you as a creator think about or value that end up getting the attention of the audience. So in that regard, I can understand how they act, because yes it's quite noticeable how they often try to stay 'positive' or on the surface of an issue just to avoid trouble.
somethingsketchy
janice from the shop

The video was good as a whole, but like many others, I thought Phil was more entertaining than Dan in this one. I especially liked that they seemed genuinely bothered by "women's rights" not being a more popular search term, the Michael Phelps mention and the whole coincidence discussion. There were a couple of moments when I couldn't make sense of what they were saying because they were speaking really fast on top of each other, so I'll definitely rewatch the video tomorrow with captions and might share some additional thoughts after that.
eevee wrote:
fondsmiles wrote:
saffarinda wrote:fondsmiles the implication is that it could be used as lube.
thanks, that was my immediate thought too, i just didn't know if it would work so i thought it might be something different. but, well, of course not. :D
it shouldn't be used as lube, it's for external use only! but Dan's mind is always in the gutter I guess.
In addition to being for external use only, vaseline also corrodes latex, ie. may break condoms. Don't use vaseline as lube, people!
aleanna
glabella

Phil Lester talking about strip clubs and the many uses of Vaseline is my aesthetic.
somethingsketchy wrote:The video was good as a whole, but like many others, I thought Phil was more entertaining than Dan in this one. I especially liked that they seemed genuinely bothered by "women's rights" not being a more popular search term, the Michael Phelps mention and the whole coincidence discussion. There were a couple of moments when I couldn't make sense of what they were saying because they were speaking really fast on top of each other, so I'll definitely rewatch the video tomorrow with captions and might share some additional thoughts after that.
eevee wrote:
fondsmiles wrote:
thanks, that was my immediate thought too, i just didn't know if it would work so i thought it might be something different. but, well, of course not. :D
it shouldn't be used as lube, it's for external use only! but Dan's mind is always in the gutter I guess.
In addition to being for external use only, vaseline also corrodes latex, ie. may break condoms. Don't use vaseline as lube, people!
I would say that it could be used as lube for non-penetrative sexual activities, but ymmv. Sex isn't just penetration, people!
Check out my YouTube channel where I post badly edited vlog-things: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4MzLr ... nRQQMRpp6A
vortexofphan
drama llama

dontpanic wrote:
onceinaugust wrote:
dontpanic wrote:
okay cool!?
Just a heads up that if you're listening with headphones, turn your volume waaaaay down at 8:15.
preach. tbh even if you're not using headphones u should prob still turn it down, my dog nearly had a heart attack he was so startled

I have mixed feelings about the vid (the Vaseline thing was wonderful tho ). one thing i know for sure tho...the way Phil eats sweets is the funniest/most adorable thing ever.

edit: they're playing so many Google games to suck up to their boss. They need to appease the superior overlord Google in case the ad-pocalypse takes a turn for the worst
Lol seriously. My cat leapt up and was on high alert for a bit after that screach. He'll have to control that once they get their dog

I thought the video was alright. The coincidence/Sam thing was pretty funny. But I liked the other google search games better, and am a little over google games as a whole at this point.
LtrllySusan wrote:Come to Brasil

I can't help but be a bit disappointed especially since they low-key hyped this video a bit? I find Higher or Lower videos terribly boring. I would just like the video games back ? Not browser games, actual games. Doesn't have to be Undertale or Life is Strange, just something.. proper. Apart from #pham there wasn't much interesting banter either.
Yeah, an actual game would be fun to see. Since they're posting so much more regularly, I think they could swing a longer story game. I know they tried with the horse prince, but that was so obscure. They should give it another go.
karma_yeah
philussy

I read 2 pages of comments before I watched the video and was a little reticent going into it, but I really enjoyed it. Not the game itself, but it was a nice vehicle to getting to know a little better.

I didn't hear much in terms of personas or being "on brand", and enjoyed hearing their thoughts and opinions (ok and maybe the interpersonal interactions resembling those of an old married couple). Their commentary seemed very genuine ( for standing up for women's rights!! Women's rights ARE human rights :D).

Fav moments:
- coincidence discussion - enjoyed hearing their differing perspectives. (confirmation that they are 2 separate and distinct human beings :D ).
- discussion of strip clubs: Dan's "outrage" vs. Phil's matter-of-fact attitude towards it (in my mind, they are both right).
- Michael Phelps appreciation/attraction
- "Who is Kyle Field? If you're a Texan, there's no way to not know what Kyle Field is (there was even a picture of a football field ), but I would never expect anyone outside of Texas to know the name of Texas A&M's University's football field (or care enough about it to google it!). Bless their souls! . . . maybe it's the alma mater of one of the game's creators.

For me, 7 out of 10!
(9's are reserved for baking videos and D&P Crafts; 10 is reserved for a wedding video - a girl can dream)
What goes around, comes around Image
applesauce
not a first-time poster

karma_yeah wrote:"Who is Kyle Field? If you're a Texan, there's no way to not know what Kyle Field is (there was even a picture of a football field ), but I would never expect anyone outside of Texas to know the name of Texas A&M's University's football field (or care enough about it to google it!). Bless their souls! . . . maybe it's the alma mater of one of the game's creators.
i sent the vid to my younger brother who's studying at a&m and he got a good chuckle out of that

tbh football is practically it's own persona there anyway
Sakura Selfie
rainbow nerd

Phil saying Wayne Rooney in an ultra Manc accent is my favourite thing ever.
sparkle
blobfish

I go away for 12 hours and theres like 4 pages to catch up on

(having a friend over, finally played Undertale so I could watch deppy play it. Was not expecting it to break me a little)

I'm excited to watch this video tomorrow but i'm groaning a little at it being another fucking flash game. Where is my 90 episode series of Phil playing Fallout as Nate in the Brotherhood and romancing Paladin Danse.

V. happy to see them tweeting about Pride. It made me smile so much on Twitter earlier, especially after I saw a lot of 'uhhh why isn't there are straight pride day where is my parade'. It's so validating to have two people I love with massive audiences be so undeniably in support of LGBT+ rights.
:sparkle: dan howell gives me life :sparkle:
don't waste your time
or time will waste you
:sparkle:
autumnhearth
senpai

eevee wrote: I also can't believe Dan didn't think strip club would have high searches. Does he know NO straight men?? what does he mean "who wants strip club in their google search" that was a bad attempt at a save, because strip clubs are legal and phil is right, people google to see where they are, just like any other establishment. men go to strip clubs all the time. I appreciate Dan's faith in humanity though, and it seems a little innocent how honestly he thought men wouldn't be going to the strip club often. Dan is a pure soul. Phil however is real about the world, apparently!

No. But give me more mature Phil any day!

I liked the gaming video. Though I was initially disappointed when I saw it was another Google game, I do enjoy them. Much love and appreciation for Phil. Love that shirt.

I had my husband watch the Danthony collab with me after (as he was busy with a D&D game last night). He did not laugh. His eyes just kept getting wider and wider until the end when he covered himself with his blanket and attempted to smother himself. I'm concerned. :?
pilotlight
#relatable

autumnhearth wrote:I had my husband watch the Danthony collab with me after (as he was busy with a D&D game last night). He did not laugh. His eyes just kept getting wider and wider until the end when he covered himself with his blanket and attempted to smother himself. I'm concerned. :?

Our spouse (spouses?? it sounds like the plural should be spices; one spouse, two spices) had very different reactions.
Stakhanov
haru pillow

Wait, what? I don't understand what's not to like. What's going on in your spices heads i'm intrigued.
dontpanic
#relatable

aleanna wrote:
somethingsketchy wrote:
eevee wrote:
fondsmiles wrote:
I would say that it could be used as lube for non-penetrative sexual activities, but ymmv. Sex isn't just penetration, people!
Vaseline is quite popular to use when one is...polishing the banister ;) especially for puberty-stricken boys without access to actual lube.

All the strip club talk got me thinking about my favorite tweet/picture to ever grace the face of the earth edit: I like how plushie!Dan is tipping $5 while plushie!Phil only has $1. Phil spent too much money buying the fireworks effect, now he doesn't have enough dough to give a proper tip smh
pilotlight
#relatable

Stakhanov wrote:Wait, what? I don't understand what's not to like. What's going on in your spices heads i'm intrigued.
Bad wording on my part, haha. I meant my husband had a different reaction to hers (who I thought sounded kind of traumatized? lol), mine just thought the video was hysterical.
bookfiend
spork
Pronouns: She/her

I enjoyed this vid, Phil's popeye and feminism speech had me

i hope they choose something with a bit more gameplay next though flash games can get a bit dull. I've been enjoying their Nintendo Switch let's plays and I'm holding out hope for some Crash Bandicoot.

I feel like I'm the only one who doesn't want them to play Life is Strange though

I just wouldn't work with their content. It's dialogue heavy so they'd have to be quiet for a lot of it or end up talking over the plot which won't be entertaining for non-gamers who watch purely for banter. It's fully voice acted so they can't even be inventive with their own voice overs (Undertale & Horse Prince). It's gameplay is also very stringent in where you go and when so no messing around or exploring (Yandere Simulator & Who's Your Daddy). I just don't see it working out.

I'd much prefer to see them play more Indie games like Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes and Golf With Friends.