Dan & Phil Part 49: Don't curl, quiff

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
eevee
emo goose

fancybum wrote:how was it daring though
Youtubers usually stay away from that stuff with a ten foot pole, shane is really the only one who's gone there and he faced backlash, am i wrong?
Phil looks like he went to sleep at 6 AM and is dying inside, Dan glows like he spent the night having orgasms - Ticia
fancybum
senpai

eevee wrote:
fancybum wrote:how was it daring though
Youtubers usually stay away from that stuff with a ten foot pole, shane is really the only one who's gone there and he faced backlash, am i wrong?
No, you're correct. I think these people faced a (tiny, compared to Shane) bit of backlash for it too, though. But I took you calling it daring as it being a good thing ('have to hand it to them') which I don't really see, but my reading comprehension is low today so nevermind.
Thanks and have a great day! Oil me
DatCog
blobfish
Pronouns: she/her

Just been wondering about what's next for our two favourite guys! They've done Australia, Playlist and Vidcon and I'm not aware of anything else on the horizon for the remainder of the year.

Perhaps, after the post-Vidcon collabs, we'll just settle into a regular routine of individual live shows each week, frequent gaming vids and regular, if less frequent DH and AP vids

I dunno, I kinda want them to announce some new and exciting project!

Any predictions?

Whatever happens, I don't think I'll be losing interest any time soon
000dia000
emo goose

this is very boring
:cactus:
lishachi
eclipse shirt

DatCog wrote:Just been wondering about what's next for our two favourite guys! They've done Australia, Playlist and Vidcon and I'm not aware of anything else on the horizon for the remainder of the year.

Perhaps, after the post-Vidcon collabs, we'll just settle into a regular routine of individual live shows each week, frequent gaming vids and regular, if less frequent DH and AP vids

Any predictions?

Long ramble on interest in deppy:

I never ever thought I'd lose interest in them. And in some ways I haven't, because I still check here and lurk every day (which is just a habit now) but I don't know. Compared to last year when the drought was happening I remember rewatching old vids again and again because I was never sure when they'd upload. Now I'm comfortable knowing that there's vids basically every week, sometimes twice, I'm not as worried anymore. I don't go and rewatch vids unless I have nothing else to do because I know that new content is always coming. Also they are so much more comfortable now that really nothing they do (to me anyway) surprises me much anymore, like what they comment on, guy mentions, sexual comments, anything that would of been 'out of character' a year ago. I guess things have definitely died down since the tour but obviously not to the point where they are irrelevant, considering on Tumblr alone they are still one of the most searched influencers/internet people.

I also used to 'ship' them pretty hard last year and still to the beginning of this year, I don't know if it's age or something (I'm 20) but I realised I don't really care much for it anymore. Clearly they love each other, I'm really not fussed if it's platonic, romantic or sexual. I just admire their friendship more than anything. One thing that is making me super happy is the gaming vids, even if their choices are not my cup of tea sometimes most of the time it's really nice to watch. And I also prefer the gaming channel over their main channels, I would watch the gaming channel only and be completely satisfied, but I like gaming vids and their joint commentary on them, just my preference.

Don't know how others feel about this, is anyone losing interest? Gaining more interest? :D
:biflag: :blackheart:
onetruetrash
blobfish

lishachi wrote:
DatCog wrote:Just been wondering about what's next for our two favourite guys! They've done Australia, Playlist and Vidcon and I'm not aware of anything else on the horizon for the remainder of the year.

Any predictions?

I never ever thought I'd lose interest in them. And in some ways I haven't, because I still check here and lurk every day (which is just a habit now) but I don't know. Compared to last year when the drought was happening I remember rewatching old vids again and again because I was never sure when they'd upload. Now I'm comfortable knowing that there's vids basically every week, sometimes twice, I'm not as worried anymore. I don't go and rewatch vids unless I have nothing else to do because I know that new content is always coming. Also they are so much more comfortable now that really nothing they do (to me anyway) surprises me much anymore, like what they comment on, guy mentions, sexual comments, anything that would of been 'out of character' a year ago. I guess things have definitely died down since the tour but obviously not to the point where they are irrelevant, considering on Tumblr alone they are still one of the most searched influencers/internet people.

I also used to 'ship' them pretty hard last year and still to the beginning of this year, I don't know if it's age or something (I'm 20) but I realised I don't really care much for it anymore. Clearly they love each other, I'm really not fussed if it's platonic, romantic or sexual. I just admire their friendship more than anything. One thing that is making me super happy is the gaming vids, even if their choices are not my cup of tea sometimes most of the time it's really nice to watch. And I also prefer the gaming channel over their main channels, I would watch the gaming channel only and be completely satisfied, but I like gaming vids and their joint commentary on them, just my preference.

Don't know how others feel about this, is anyone losing interest? Gaining more interest? :D
I've talked about this before, but I haven't lost interest, but it just feels like nothing is happening. I'm pretty sure what happened in February was some sort of secret project, so I hope that's exciting. Dan and Phil seem happier and more open than ever and that's great, but it also makes things rather boring. Not that that's a bad thing, but I hope y'all get what I'm saying. I'd rather them be happy and the Phandom be boring than them feeling any negative emotion.

I don't think it's age either sincd I'm their target audience and I feel this way too.
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

Seems appropriate that Phil's butt has settled into the sofa, having a rest after all its adventures. I need to collate them sometime. It got bitten by an ant, pierced by one of Dan's earrings, bruised af when he fell off the stage. There are probably more, it must be a safe thing to joke about, he mentions it so often ;)
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

I've never been more into Dan and Phil, I thrive on them in this happy era of regular good content. So have some puppy gifs. :D

ImageImage
gif credit psuedophan

gif credit danstellations

gif credit danisnotonffice

Image Image
gif credit heckdan
Blue Girl
phillion/danosaur <//3

DatCog wrote:Just been wondering about what's next for our two favourite guys! They've done Australia, Playlist and Vidcon and I'm not aware of anything else on the horizon for the remainder of the year...

Any predictions?
Didn't they mention they were skipping Summer in the City because it conflicted with something else? Not sure if I'm remembering that correctly. If so, maybe they are working on a project later this summer, even if we may not be seeing it until further down the road?
kalli
butt chair

When you're so passionate about teeth that you miss the discussion lol but oh well:

I feel like this teeth discussion requires a friendly reminder that there's no shame in anyone choosing to look however they feel best, whether that is in or out of line with society's standards, all that matters is that the person themselves likes it. Whether you want purple eyebrows, a nose job, straight teeth or beard extensions, do ya thang

Teeth are so interesting to me and if I had the patience, dedication and money to make it through the 10+ years of university to become an orthodontist (or odontologist), I totally would have. Everyone's teeth are difference sizes, shapes, colours and have various levels of gumminess, so aligning your teeth definitely doesn't take away all character. Correcting your bite alleviates stress from your teeth and makes them easier to keep clean, which reduces your risk of premature wear, pain in the mouth, jaw, ears and/or headaches, and gum disease among many potential problems. Maybe it's not always necessary to intervene, but these standards were definitely formed to optimize dental health, and if possible, it's not a bad idea to do it as a protective measure against more painful and costly issues.

I vaguely recall Dan saying in a liveshow a few years ago that he was told he should get braces, but turned it down after he was told it would take roughly 4 years. I assume Phil would have been recommended braces as well, but was told they weren't a necessity and turned them down as well. That's where I imagine the cultural differences taking effect, some people would deny because it isn't the norm, and others would gladly accept because it is the norm. I don't know anyone who was forced to get braces or decided against it if they could afford them, and associating straight teeth with the "hollywood smile" is so bizarre to me. Straightening your teeth and removing any impacted wisdom teeth are simply a normal part of your teen years in my experience, everybody goes through brace face and chipmunk face together

tldr; Straightening your teeth could be purely an aesthetic choice and that's fine, but it's most likely at least in combination with health reasons and that being the norm for certain places in the world.

floss, brush and use mouthwash twice per day or the tooth fairy's evil twin will show up while you sleep
onetruetrash wrote:
lishachi wrote:

Any predictions?

I've talked about this before, but I haven't lost interest, but it just feels like nothing is happening. I'm pretty sure what happened in February was some sort of secret project, so I hope that's exciting. Dan and Phil seem happier and more open than ever and that's great, but it also makes things rather boring. Not that that's a bad thing, but I hope y'all get what I'm saying. I'd rather them be happy and the Phandom be boring than them feeling any negative emotion.

I don't think it's age either since I'm their target audience and I feel this way too.
Truthfully, I'm bored with them right now as well. I'm not sure why because we definitely have more to content than ever, but nothing is as exciting recently as it was in the past. I've been a fan for 5 years and I've experienced some dull times with Deppy and the phandom, but I feel even less entertained now than during last year's content drought. It's strange, I can tell I haven't lost interest completely but I'm definitely in need of something to replenish it. Come through, secret project.
onetruetrash
blobfish

Blue Girl wrote:
DatCog wrote:Just been wondering about what's next for our two favourite guys! They've done Australia, Playlist and Vidcon and I'm not aware of anything else on the horizon for the remainder of the year...

Any predictions?
Didn't they mention they were skipping Summer in the City because it conflicted with something else? Not sure if I'm remembering that correctly. If so, maybe they are working on a project later this summer, even if we may not be seeing it until further down the road?
Yeah, Dan did say that. I wonder what the project is.
lishachi
eclipse shirt

onetruetrash wrote:
lishachi wrote:

Any predictions?

I don't think it's age either sincd I'm their target audience and I feel this way too.
I thought about it more and I think it's because there is more content. With other youtubers for example jacksepticeye (he's the one I watch most frequently and have done for 2 years) he uploads every day, twice. And I know that he does. And because it's almost guaranteed that you'll have new content, it's comforting. With Dan and Phil, for me, I was more intrigued by them when they had next to no content at all because I was waiting to see what would happen next. It was exciting and each video kind of felt like a really big thing, when all it was in reality was a sims or undertale video once a month. But it was like an event. And because there was hardly any content, when there was I think the phandom ate it up, whatever it was. Because at least it was content. There was always something to look forward too. Big things were happening for them and it was exciting! Now it's kind of... just boring. And not totally, like I still love them and the content is always there. Still, I like where things are with them and how comfortable they are with each other and it's so wonderful to see in videos. They are still interesting people to me, just not as much as they used to be. Looking forward to a potential project maybe soon.
:biflag: :blackheart:
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

I do think it's important to remember that when there was a drought every video was an exciting event... and in the weeks between videos people did nothing but complain. The dominant conversations were about what bad youtubers Dan and Phil were, how their audience was Definitely Totally Declining because they were so bad at uploading, how they took advantage of having loyal viewers to be lazier youtubers, etc etc.

This is definitely a 'grass is always greener' situation.
lurker
janice from the shop
Pronouns: they/them

i'm personally really happy that we get a pretty much regular upload schedule and all the information we get apart from that can be condensed to "dan and phil value each other immensely and have just spent even more time together, wow". i really wouldn't mind some collabs or some creative project *cough* to happen, but i prefer them to just dump that on me when the time is there. there isn't much to theorize at the moment, but i think it's nice to just enjoy enjoying their content. i'm curious to find out about that week in march though.

i feel like i've mentioned deppy house files, spooky sightings, phil's horror movie and the jenna marbles collab one too many times but i'd be curious to hear what everyone else's dream fantasy projects would be, so please consider sharing your ideas. i want to add dan writing a young adult novel, them becoming dog vloggers with an account for their dog on every social media platform, and...actually i want to stick with phil's horror movie.
thank's you were great
000dia000
emo goose

I think in my case, I like exactly what they're doing now, but I just wish for something different? When they continue to do A,B, and C as a pattern, they might do it a bit differently and be "cuter", "lol random" in one, and "totally gay" in the next...but this gets repetitive and loses its touch when there's no change. I just anticipate them doing videos outside their comfort zone/usual content (that they have! and I enjoyed) and for them to try bigger projects.

I think it's been established how close they are as a duo, and while this seems to be the opposite of what people want, a bit of distance between them might be good. Just think about it: how much difference is there between a Phil project, a Dan project, and a Dan+Phil project? There's a lot. There are so many opportunities for them to expand and try new things individually, and I'd like to see them continue moving forward both as sole creators and as a duo, if that is possible. What these "projects" are-who knows? Dan's Esports documentary comes to mind. Phil being the next Tarantino as he dreamed in his uni days, is another. I like where we are, but I don't want to stop right here, with deppy playing shitty flash games into their fifties and we all giggle at it but it's never anything more.

Also alittledizzy is right, everyone was absolutely miserable during the drought. People always romanticize horrible things for some reason What kept the energy and optimism alive was 1. Anticipating the tour ending, 2.What Deppy planned for after the tour, 3. Scheduled content, and 4. Deppy's personal life (ie. moving out). Every single goal was met, and now we've reached a period of rest. So, what's next?
EDIT:
lurker wrote: i feel like i've mentioned deppy house files, spooky sightings, phil's horror movie and the jenna marbles collab one too many times but i'd be curious to hear what everyone else's dream fantasy projects would be, so please consider sharing your ideas. i want to add dan writing a young adult novel, them becoming dog vloggers with an account for their dog on every social media platform, and...actually i want to stick with phil's horror movie.
Oh yes. I like the idea of them doing a podcast, similar to the Super Amazing Project, but not just limited to spooky happenings, so a cross between that and the radio show. I would like to see Phil and PJ collab on a movie, where they do a fantasy world/horror story. I like the idea of Phil doing a horror movie, but Phil has had little to no professional experience so has to start somewhere small. I too am for a Jenna and Phil collab. For Dan, I want him to collab with Nathan Zedd. While Tomska only really projected interest in having Dan as a main part for a sketch again, I would really enjoy seeing Phil in a role like that for once, particularly a character very unlike him. For their gaming channel, I would like to see them do more competitive gaming, and for them to play people online like in the Mario Cart video. Basically interact with audience, that would be fun. I really miss their "Day in the Life" vlogs, so I would love for an excuse just for him to film themselves walking around places, I don't ask for much. I like the kind of "meme philosophy" videos Dan is doing at the moment, and I hope he continues them. Sue me.
:cactus:
droopy
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

lurker wrote:i'm personally really happy that we get a pretty much regular upload schedule and all the information we get apart from that can be condensed to "dan and phil value each other immensely and have just spent even more time together, wow". i really wouldn't mind some collabs or some creative project *cough* to happen, but i prefer them to just dump that on me when the time is there. there isn't much to theorize at the moment, but i think it's nice to just enjoy enjoying their content. i'm curious to find out about that week in march though.

i feel like i've mentioned deppy house files, spooky sightings, phil's horror movie and the jenna marbles collab one too many times but i'd be curious to hear what everyone else's dream fantasy projects would be, so please consider sharing your ideas. i want to add dan writing a young adult novel, them becoming dog vloggers with an account for their dog on every social media platform, and...actually i want to stick with phil's horror movie.
I think my dream is also a Phil Horror Movie, or a Phil Space Movie, or anything from the weird side of Phil's brain, honestly. What drew me into his stuff to begin with was his aesthetic and the fact that, despite having content (sometimes, not always) that in concept is similar to what other YouTubers do, his mind always goes to these really bizarre, almost alternate-dimension-y places in a really offhanded manner. Like, it's not even him being deliberately creative, he just says stuff because his brain connects completely unrelated things together and then it's weird and I love it.

This kind of turned into a mini Phil appreciation rant oops. But yes, Phil horror movie please!
And like 000dia000 said, DiTL, podcast, Jenna collab, it all sounds good to me.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

000dia000 wrote:I think it's been established how close they are as a duo, and while this seems to be the opposite of what people want, a bit of distance between them might be good. Just think about it: how much difference is there between a Phil project, a Dan project, and a Dan+Phil project? There's a lot. There are so many opportunities for them to expand and try new things individually, and I'd like to see them continue moving forward both as sole creators and as a duo, if that is possible. What these "projects" are-who knows? Dan's Esports documentary comes to mind. Phil being the next Tarantino as he dreamed in his uni days, is another. I like where we are, but I don't want to stop right here, with deppy playing shitty flash games into their fifties and we all giggle at it but it's never anything more.
Oh man, I fully agree with this - I would love them to do some solo projects now. I think the only thing I'd stipulate is that I want them to be able to juggle solo projects with joint content as well. I would hate to see the gaming channel videos stall out to one a month, like before, for the sake of a one off Dan or Phil project. But assuming that they have actually, truly learned how to keep a regular schedule - sign me the hell up.

And I also agree that some distance between them would revitalize parts of the audience because they bring such different things to the table. I think Dan just making a main channel video every week would suffice for him, but for Phil it would take him showing us a new side of himself - which I think it's clear we're not going to get on youtube.

The podcast idea is amazing too, I feel like that would fill a hole that the death of the radio show left in a lot of people's hearts. We get their bants around a pointed topic - a video game - but we don't get them just casually chatting about a variety of topics for a more substantial length of time anymore.
iwishiwasacasual
glabella

i feel like i'm so boring compared to you guys, legit the only thing i want from them is more than one ditl a year because i need more of that domestic content (and a dog if that counts as a project because i'm a basic). although now that you've mentioned it a podcast would be pretty cool
(i've been lurking for weeks but i'm bored so i thought id jump in on the action)
captainspacecoat
stress mushroom

alittledizzy wrote:I do think it's important to remember that when there was a drought every video was an exciting event... and in the weeks between videos people did nothing but complain. The dominant conversations were about what bad youtubers Dan and Phil were, how their audience was Definitely Totally Declining because they were so bad at uploading, how they took advantage of having loyal viewers to be lazier youtubers, etc etc.

This is definitely a 'grass is always greener' situation.
Very much agree with this! I used to lurk here during the content drought last year, and I definitely remember that most people were extremely frustrated with the lack of content. People lamented the fact that Dan and Phil hadn't prepared better by pre-filming enough videos to upload at least weekly, and while their rare uploads/tweets etc were definitely exciting, they were often overshadowed by frustration that they didn't upload/tweet more frequently. Definitely think this is a case of romanticising the past somewhat, as all we asked of them back then was for a more frequent upload schedule.

As for whether or not I'm drifting away from them, I think I mostly agree with those who feel that everything is better than ever in the world of Dan and Phil. Personally, I find that my interest in them fluctuates somewhat with my mood. A few weeks ago I was in a bad place mentally, and found that I subsequently lost interest in them. My poor mental state clouded my view of them, and I wasn't really enjoying them as much as I had done in May and prior. Weeks later, my mental health has improved and I love them as much as I ever have. I haven't been able to stop reblogging gifs of the puppy video, and am firmly ensconced within the trashcan despite worrying that I was losing interest a few weeks ago. Has anyone else found this?
iwishiwasacasual wrote:i feel like i'm so boring compared to you guys, legit the only thing i want from them is more than one ditl a year because i need more of that domestic content (and a dog if that counts as a project because i'm a basic). although now that you've mentioned it a podcast would be pretty cool
(i've been lurking for weeks but i'm bored so i thought id jump in on the action)
Welcome! I'm with you completely haha, deep down I'm mostly just here for the domesticity
SneakyLizard
butt chair

Ugh those gifs. So sweet. I get really excited when they're happy, and they look so flipping happy right now. I think it's cause, kind of opposite to captainspacecoat, I find I'm more deeply into every video and event and interaction when I'm not *not* in a good place mentally. Kind of like some kind of vicarious happiness. I've been struggling a bit since March and Dan and Phil have given me something positive to look forward to after work every day. It's also so encouraging to see the strong partnership and genuine affection between them because it makes me think I could maybe have that too someday. It's nice. They're nice. And yes I want more of Phil's weird wonderful brainchildren. A PJ project would be awesome because I think that would give him the little bit of confidence boost/support and storytelling experience he might need to really cut loose. I'm a big fan of Tape 6 and The Basket, as disturbing and disjointed as they are. That's some strange, raw stuff, but it's honest and it makes me smile.
we walk among you
onetruetrash
blobfish

I wasn't there for the content drought, but I've had to deal with content droughts before in other fandoms and it can be frustrating, but it doesn't make me lose excitement like this. I was a huge fan of the show Gravity Falls until it ended. There were multiple hiatuses, the longest one lasting 364 and yet, I was never bored, at least not that I remember.

For me, it's not the amount of videos they upload, but the fact that nothing is really happening. Like I said, once their secret project is revealed, my excitement will probably be renewed. I don't know if anyone else can relate to what I'm saying, but I'm just throwing it out there.

Moving on, I would love to see Phil make some videos like Dreams of the Future, The Basket, Tape 6, The Silver Button, his pabloislove videos, etc. He's very creative and has a very unique mind. Chris once said that knowing Phil was like knowing someone who lives in two different worlds. I don't know, the way Phil's mind works fascinates me.
sapienveneficus
rainbow nerd

Phantasy wrote:[offtopic]Am I kind of a dick for secretly wishing Phil (and Dan) would get their teeth straightened? I don't know if it's the new room lighting, new camera (or plethora of zoom-effects in the last gaming video), but my eyes keep focusing on Phil's teeth especially. Earlier in the thread when the topic was on Phil's hair, my though was I think his hair suits him well enough, it's just out dated and time for a change up—my eyes however keep lingering on their teeth (again maybe the better lighting/camera). I mean, they must have invisalign or something similar in the U.K. that's unobtrusive and not fixed into place unlike braces? Or maybe I'm being to vain and if they don't care why should I? [/offtopic]
You're not alone. Are you an American? Because I am, and I find that crooked teeth always stand out to me because they're so rare here in the states. They're a real anomaly. I don't think Phil's teeth are particularly bad, but they are noticeable.

[offtopic]What really drives me up a wall is when I see an American who's roughly my age (late 20s/early 30s) with crooked teeth. There's this YouTuber (I think her name is Lindsay Doe) who has this channel called Sexplanations. Anyhow, I watched a few of her videos back when her channel first launched, and I remember being so distracted by her teeth that I couldn't even process what she was saying. Scrolling down in the comments of those early videos, I was somewhat comforted to see that I wasn't alone. It wasn't that her teeth looked bad, I mean they REALLY did, but what set my brain off was how she could have teeth like that in the first place. Because when I heard her American accent and saw her teeth, that disconnect prompted me to do some research. I found out that she was born in the US, was a member of my generation, and that her parents have worked in higher education her whole life. Which means, there would have been no barriers standing in the way of her seeing an orthodontist and certainly her dentist would have recommended a visit. I should probably explain that, here in the states, braces are ridiculously common. The only kids who don't get them either live in abject poverty (and even then there are charities that provide orthodontic procedures for families who can't afford them) or are those lucky few born with perfect teeth. Therefore, there was no reason why this YouTuber wouldn't have had braces growing up. She hadn't spent her formative years in Russia, or living on a commune in the desert, and she made no mention in those few videos I saw of being abducted by aliens from the ages of 11-18. I couldn't get my head around it. When things don't make sense, it drives me crazy. And an American woman in her 30s having been raised in a middle class family would have had braces growing up; full stop.

UPDATE - She has since gotten invisaligns but has made no mention, as far as I'm aware, of why she never had braces growing up. So the mystery lives on. My money's on the aliens.[/offtopic]

Back to Dan and Phil. I do notice Phil's teeth, and while I think it'd be nice if he got them fixed, his teeth don't particularly bother me. Now, if Phil were an American, the anomaly of his crooked teeth would drive me nuts, and I wouldn't be able to watch his videos without wondering why he hadn't had braces growing up.
"Someone, somewhere is into that." Daniel Howell
ArtyJim
glabella

im american and 1. have never really noticed dan and phil's teeth?? wth haha and 2. disagree completely that every single person in america has braces unless theyre poor. just another perspective that some of us dgaf about stuff like that.

as for interest in dnp im still very excited anytime they upload and i always rewatch videos pretty regularly. im a v. happy camper with them atm.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

onetruetrash wrote:Moving on, I would love to see Phil make some videos like Dreams of the Future, The Basket, Tape 6, The Silver Button, his pabloislove videos, etc. He's very creative and has a very unique mind. Chris once said that knowing Phil was like knowing someone who lives in two different worlds. I don't know, the way Phil's mind works fascinates me.
I don't think I want to see him make videos like those, but I want to see Phil follow the same kind of inspiration now that led him to want to make those so many years ago. I can't imagine the end result would be close to the same but I think that quote about Phil living in two worlds is still pretty representative of him. Definitely fascinated by how Phil's mind works as well. :)

[offtopic]
sapienveneficus wrote:The only kids who don't get them either live in abject poverty (and even then there are charities that provide orthodontic procedures for families who can't afford them) or are those lucky few born with perfect teeth.
You don't have live in 'abject poverty' to not be able to afford braces. Orthodontics is really fucking expensive, and not covered under CHIPS/children's medicaid. You can just be regular kinda-poor or have parents who do basically okay but still have a budget and put their limited money towards more immediate concerns. Charities who provide orthodontic procedures do so on a priority basis, and people who just want them for vanity purposes generally don't quality. As an adult, I don't have dental insurance and don't have a spare five thousand bucks to cover dentist bills for vanity purposes.

Signed, an millennial with poor parents and teeth that it sounds like you'd definitely judge.[/offtopic]
sapienveneficus
rainbow nerd

alittledizzy wrote:
You don't have live in 'abject poverty' to not be able to afford braces. Orthodontics is really fucking expensive, and not covered under CHIPS/children's medicaid. You can just be regular kinda-poor or have parents who do basically okay but still have a budget and put their limited money towards more immediate concerns. Charities who provide orthodontic procedures do so on a priority basis, and people who just want them for vanity purposes generally don't quality. As an adult, I don't have dental insurance and don't have a spare five thousand bucks to cover dentist bills for vanity purposes.

Signed, an millennial with poor parents and teeth that it sounds like you'd definitely judge.[/offtopic]
[offtopic]I wasn't sure if I should respond since the tone of what you posted was pretty pointed, but I thought I might as well try.

I'm not sure where you got the impression that I'd judge your teeth because you haven't had braces. What I was trying to explain in my post is a) what's common here in the states and b) how my brain processes anomalies. An American millennial with crooked teeth is an anomaly. Now, if there's an explanation, than that's the end of the story as far as I'm concerned. It's the lack of an explanation, the unsolved mystery if you will, that my brain can't get past. That's why I was so distracted by the Sexplanations host's teeth. Because something didn't add up. Does that make sense?[/offtopic]
"Someone, somewhere is into that." Daniel Howell