Dan & Phil Part 49: Don't curl, quiff

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie
Pronouns: she/her

eevee wrote:Honestly, it's time for the black to go, if you ask me. It just makes him look odd in this day and age, especially with the shorter haircut sorry. It also kinda hides/distracts from his face. I want to see the face!!
We're gonna have to fight on this one. I'll be really sad if he ditches the black, I think it's way more striking than his natural color, and I don't think black hair in itself is inherently dated. Dark brown would be fine but imo the black is flattering and makes him stand out. It's just the long, flat fringe I have an issue with. But Phil wouldn't be Phil if he decided to change looks based on what's currently in style. (If he did that, he'd be Dan.)

(Though tbh I feel like one of the main points he wanted to make with the curling video is that he likes his hair so it isn't going anywhere, no matter how much people want him to change it. And you know... what Phil wants, Phil gets.)
eevee
emo goose

I was going to just get a pic of Martyn and say "consider:" but martyn literally always wears a hat EXCUSE ME, I WANT TO SEE THE HAIR,,

I'm not saying he should change himself based on what's in style, I agree he wouldn't do that! But people grow and evolve and grow out of things etc, and I wouldn't be surprised if he felt the black fringe chapter was over.

I'd accept black hair if maybe it looked a little more natural instead of like box dye blue-black :)
Phil looks like he went to sleep at 6 AM and is dying inside, Dan glows like he spent the night having orgasms - Ticia
autumnhearth
senpai

captainspacecoat wrote:Wow that article re: BBC Radio 1 was so interesting, Ben Cooper sounded genuinely salty about dnp leaving the radio to tour with TATINOF.

re: Phil's hair- (obvs deep down I'm team Phil-can-do-what-he-wants-with-his-hair-so-long-as-he's-happy, but damn I really do think he'd benefit from a bit of a change. Although like others have said, he really doesn't seem to like change. The fact he's had the same bedsheets since he was in uni - at least ten years ago!! - astounds me).
Agreed. While I'm team quiff, I don't think he has to let go of the fringe completely. How he styles his hair could be flexible (not taking the time to curl it obvs), but just push it back, have his stylist (what is his name? I'm such a fake fan. Fabrice!) give him some tips and products for volume and what not and then do another beauty vlogging section in a ls (a joint one please so Dan can run his fingers through Phil's hair some more). And throw some glasses in there for variety.

Re: color, I would love to see more natural/ginger Phil one day, but black does suit him (yes, it's striking) and I don't see him letting it go until a major change in job/lifestyle (aka AmazingPhil "retiring") at which point he'll probably want to dye his hair for different reasons.
danklester
smol bean

Hmm.. I'm on the fence about Phils hair, on one hand I think he looks great with his flippy 2008 emo black hair (even if it's a little lego-y at times ) but I can totally picture him being a total hunk all ginger quiffed up I think the black hair gives him confidence, he's totally roleplaying as Phil Striker, Cool Mysterious Dude tbh, maybe he's not ready to let that alterego go just yet

I was rewatching some AP videos the other night, including Dyeing My Hair Blue and you get a pretty good look at what could be when he first lifts up his fringe (1:38) I would attach a screenshot but I'm on mobile and a total noob when it comes to this lol
Am I the only one who would probably kill (probably joking) to see him cut his hair like it was in highschool? I love short hair, playboy Phil!!
droopy
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

danklester wrote: Am I the only one who would probably kill (probably joking) to see him cut his hair like it was in highschool? I love short hair, playboy Phil!!
No, no you are not.
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

malday wrote:Now that this has been chosen as the thread title, i'm going to commit blasphemy and say: the fringe suits him more than an actual quiff.
A side swept fringe looks best on his face shape, he just needs to abandon the straighteners and give it some volume.
(and maybe let his shaved sides go his natural color)

Keeping the fringe has the added bonus of being able to play different characters in skits just by pushing it back.
While I'm #TeamQuiff all the way, I do agree that this would look great on him as well. My intense growing hatred of the fringe is definitely mostly because of the way Phil styles it. It could look decent if he didn't straightened it to death to make it look like he glued his damn hair to his forehead. It's genuinely Lego puppet hair. He actually used to have some more volume in his hair when it was longer (pre-2013), but over the years as it got shorter and shorter his hair is nothing but flat. And the way it looks from the side is so bad. I also think it'd look good if he made his eyebrows a tiny bit darker to match the intense black hair a little more.

But Phil is Phil and he's stubborn as hell + hates change and 'growing up'. Peter Pan Syndrome theory lives another day.

About the BBC stuff. Damn would Ben Cooper like some chips with all that salt?

First up, I have to laugh at how they were apparently really looking for the new generation of jocks in the YouTube sphere, because they handled it terribly. They kicked D&P into a studio after minimal training and as someone who grew up with a radio fanatic as father I think they never really got very good, even by the end of it. I'm not super familiar with R1 so maybe this is how all their shows are, but it all seemed very stiff as if they'd get an axe to the neck if they strayed from the format a bit. There was very little spontaneous about the show and it was sometimes a bit irritating to listen to. Possibly because they just had no idea how to let go a bit without letting the show turn into complete chaos.. due to that lack of training and experience. And also just lack of passion and talent for that particular medium. You're literally bringing people who make visual content for a living to a non visual medium. No matter how many cameras you point at them, it will always be a non visual medium. And you wanted them to become your ~next generation~?? Bruh. I'd leave too if that were expected of me if all I got was a few weeks of basic training on what the buttons do and a timeslot to do whatever with. Are y'all amateurs or just lazy?

I still think it's the fact that D&P produced the flop we know and love as The Internet Takeover was the prime reason for the BBC x D&P love affair taking a fall. Unlike the Sunday show which held on to it's original intended format of being a request show, Internet Takeover was their own format and it never really got off the ground. The phandom hype around the radio show died down because D&P were only on once a month (and in the weeks they were on I kept seeing posts from people who forgot they were on that week). And no other fandom is able to hard carry a show like that in the way we did. I rarely saw other fandoms hyping the radio show their fave was on, nobody cared. The phandom is special. We're not even the biggest fanbase around, but we are one of the most loyal. Other YouTubers are annoyed by us.. but they also secretly wish they had us. And the BBC wished they had even more of us so they gave the thumbs up to D&P's scheme to get some time away from the BBC and start DAPG, write a book and go on tour because they figured all online fanbases are the same.

I also think that it was the intention (from both sides) that they'd come back after the US tour but that something went wrong in the summer. Perhaps their contracts were up for negotiation and D&P were asking too much for what they were bringing to the table. They brought a lot of young listeners to the station initially but with the Internet Takeover not being a success and possibly very little of those listeners tuning in during other times of the week, they weren't all that valuable after all. Or maybe the BBC got surprised by the Australia and Europe tour dates and got fed up. Either way, whatever happened sure turned them off vloggers because at the time Jack & Dean seemed to be rising within R1 as well and they got kicked onto the streets as well.

I still miss the radio show tho :wahh: :wahh: :wahh:
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
blackdenim
procrastinator

With the BBC article, I didn't think it was that salty? The BBC probably wasn't paying them a pittance or treating the boys like they were doing them a favour, but it can't pay top dollar as it's publicly funded, that's a fact.

Lots of people in all jobs and every walk of life want to go where the money is more than they want to work for the BBC (which puts restrictions on your career anyway because it's a public broadcaster), that's another fact. That's why big UK TV stars like Parkinson or Morecambe and Wise, and big TV shows like The Voice (EDIT: OR BAKE OFF I can't believe I forgot Bake Off) eventually move over to ITV or another privately owned channel. Hell, that's why I (and probably some of you) work for private sector companies that pay well, rather than earning less in the public sector.

I know I'm going to get jumped on but sometimes I feel like people here are far too defensive of D&P, and see every article, etc that mentions them as a diss and/or a way to grab the Phandom's attention. The reality is that article literally just states that the BBC couldn't compete with the money (and experience) the boys were gonna get doing TATINOF. Millions of similar business decisions are made every single day, I'm sure no one was particularly surprised or had any hard feelings. Both parties are and will continue to be hugely successful without each other, this is simply a relevant - and very short/probably meaningless - anecdote in a story about Radio 1 looking for new DJs.
opendoor
rainbow nerd

I think Phil really suits black hair tbh, I'd miss it if he went back to his natural colour, whatever that is. (I'm convinced he's more ginger than he lets on. Martyn's kinda strawberry blond so it makes sense). His eyebrows would have to be dyed with a light hand. If he overdid it, it'd look as if they were drawn on with a sharpie. Imo his eyebrows are fine as is. The black hair just would look more natural if he did.

I just caught up on deppy- I picked the wrong week to be awol there was so much content to get through. Stray thoughts on the week under the cut.
The vidcon story was art. The three seconds of overblown bickering 'Isn't that the FIRST THING YOU'D THINK OF' 'WELL I DIDN'T ON THAT DAY OK!' was something I never thought I'd see. So. Married.

Those last two gaming videos were cute- though the bomb disposal one would have been more satisfying if they'd ended on a win. There were enough cute/funny bits eg. Dan's response to Phil's flop comment, and 'you're supposed to lie!!' that I'll give it a re-watch.

The Geoguessr vid was adorable, and Dan didn't even grate on me once, which is very rare. I liked the discussion here about why Dan may have thought he was being extra . 'Dan and Ben' was an amazing moment that should be treasured. Also I didn't hear the name 'Theresa May' when I first watched the video, because Dan said it so quick, so I'm indebted to y'all for pointing it out and making me go back to watch that part. It brought me great joy.
I miss Dan Howell's stupid face.
000dia000
emo goose

blackdenim wrote:
With the BBC article, I didn't think it was that salty? The BBC probably wasn't paying them a pittance or treating the boys like they were doing them a favour, but it can't pay top dollar as it's publicly funded, that's a fact.

Lots of people in all jobs and every walk of life want to go where the money is more than they want to work for the BBC (which puts restrictions on your career anyway because it's a public broadcaster), that's another fact. That's why big UK TV stars like Parkinson or Morecambe and Wise, and big TV shows like The Voice (EDIT: OR BAKE OFF I can't believe I forgot Bake Off) eventually move over to ITV or another privately owned channel. Hell, that's why I (and probably some of you) work for private sector companies that pay well, rather than earning less in the public sector.

I know I'm going to get jumped on but sometimes I feel like people here are far too defensive of D&P, and see every article, etc that mentions them as a diss and/or a way to grab the Phandom's attention. The reality is that article literally just states that the BBC couldn't compete with the money (and experience) the boys were gonna get doing TATINOF. Millions of similar business decisions are made every single day, I'm sure no one was particularly surprised or had any hard feelings. Both parties are and will continue to be hugely successful without each other, this is simply a relevant - and very short/probably meaningless - anecdote in a story about Radio 1 looking for new DJs.
I agree that there's a lot more context to consider, but literally making a statement in an article that your former co-workers are money-grabbing AND insinuating that their fanbase is to blame somehow is the pure essence of burning bridges. Spectacularly. I'm sorry but the idea of BBC being "professional" here is hilarious.
:cactus:
Birdie
blobfish
Pronouns: they/them

That article, wow. Someone’s clearly salty. I’m not that overprotective of deppy (I’m a salty mess myself and love to criticise stuff, you might have realised) but that comment was a bit of a jab, especially the way it was phrased. They make it seem like deppy left their super successful full-time job at the radio for the world tour when in fact they only did their show once a month at that point. Okay.

Hair talk: I would really like to see Phil with a more tousled natural looking look actually. My main issue with his current hairstyle is how fake and plastic it looks. The fringe is ok but the emo hairstyle that goes along with it is completely outdated and looks weird compared to modern styles. I personally like the black hair but I think a softer shade or a really dark brown would suit him better and would also look more natural. (I agree on the eyebrows by the way, it would probably looked better and more natural if he darkened them too like he used to.)
Eevee wrote:re: hair Part of Phil's issue with changing his hair could be that going from black to a lighter color is a slow, difficult, damaging process.If he wanted to do his natural sandy-ginger-ish color, he'd probably have to start with a dark brown ombre of sorts and let it grow out. Although short hair does grow quick, it'd look weird at first. But imagine! The ombre would be backwards, haha!
This is absolutely true for long hair but his hair is really short and I don't think there'd be too much damage. Even if there was it would grow out quite soon. I have really long hair and I once went from black to silver blonde all in one sitting. It damaged my hair quite a bit and I had to cut a big chunk off but it worked and after a few weeks the rest of my hair was fine. (Let’s not talk about how bad that hair colour looked on a stout small part-Asian girl, because it was not the K-Pop look I had in mind but that’s besides the point, lol.) Cat did it too. I mean, her hair wasn't black and not dyed but she still managed to go from very dark hair to almost white hair and it looked great.

What I’m saying is bleaching black hair to a dark brown or even a lighter brown isn’t that much of a hassle, especially with short hair like Phil’s. I really think it’s more likely he doesn’t like change so he sticks with the hair he’s had for over ten years now. Like I said, if he wants dark hair he could go for a softer shade of black with more brown in it, he could do that easily, you wouldn’t have to bleach it long for that. But I guess he just really likes the black.

This whole post is completely unnecessary, I just like to talk about fashion and stuff. I also agree that Phil's look is fine as long as he likes it of course, I just really like to talk about stuff like this.
missemma
#teamshavedsides
#teamshavedsides

blackdenim wrote:With the BBC article, I didn't think it was that salty? The BBC probably wasn't paying them a pittance or treating the boys like they were doing them a favour, but it can't pay top dollar as it's publicly funded, that's a fact.
I agree, I don't think the article was particularly salty either. It is fact, they did leave to do the tour, which probably (I say that because I don't know how much money they were paid for either thing) paid them very well. Thats not a negative thing against D&P at all.

The article also says
We may well see more vloggers hired to present on the station in the future, but it's likely the publicly-funded Radio 1 will struggle to compete with the money that YouTubers can make from lucrative merchandising and endorsement deals.
I'm sorry to say this, but YTers are paid too much a shit load of money to promote things. You only have to look at Zoe & Alfies new MANSION to realise that. Places like the BBC cannot compete with the amount of money that is thrown at YTers by merch deals, advertising, touring, books etc. I don't think it's a bad thing they were honest about that.
If the BBC are salty about it then fair enough, tbh I'm quite salty about YouTuber earnings personally especially after the Government cheered yesterday when people such as myself in the public sector (I work in the NHS) won't get any payrise yet again. So whilst Zoe & Alfie and D&P are sitting in their million pound accommodation I think I'm allowed to be a bit salty .
:prideheart: :gayaf: :prideheart:
sarmstr2
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

Isn't he using just a rinse? I would think he could just let the black gradually wash out and then not dye it every 2-3 weeks like he seems to be doing. Like when his sides look a little ginger-y. I doubt any bleaching is necessary.
Whommel
sofa crease
Pronouns: They/them

I'm #TeamFringe and #TeamBlack, but I do wish his hair was a little less compact looking. And he could use makeup to make his brows slightly darker, it takes seconds, I do it every morning. I'd also love if both Dan and Phil had their hair a bit longer. Give those curls free rein Dan!
iihappydaysii
glabella

This is coming from someone who doesn't really know anything about the radio situation but from what I've seen of dnp, they seem to really value control over their image and content. As long as they are working for BBC or anyone else like that, they're subject to certain rules and constraints. I just feel like they might really value that freedom and not want to contract themselves out and feel obligated to uphold a certain image.

It's a little like the Anthony Padilla/Smosh (that's not a perfect comparison by any means) but there's still the idea of wanting to maintain that creative control. Also, the freedom to do
things like the tour without having to worry about not fulfilling their obligations.

(I'm not a huge fan of the black hair, unless it's pulled back in a quiff and then I'm more than fine with it. Not a fringe person at all but hey whatever Phil likes works for me. It's his head.)
SquishPhan
capita£ester

JustMe
living flop
Pronouns: She/her

Not that relevant but I find this tweet that both Dan and Phil liked so funny:
Also cute art that Dan liked on Tumblr:
[tumblr] <div class="tumblr-post" data-href="https://embed.tumblr.com/embed/post/PSX ... 2274394720" data-did="eb0f100c0e6ee87453da77e939c41fb79ebbbc06">[/tumblr]
~ I'll be bold as well as strong and use my head alongside my heart ~
lilMango
morning quiff

I think that black hair suits Phil, but it just looks so goddamn unhealthy and lego-like. It's so bristly and flat against his head, to the point where I feel like if I poked it, it would just break off and fall to the floor. It looks so much better when it's pushed back. Please, Phil, join your friends in abandoning the emo hair. It's time.
Phil Lester wrote:"I'll rub myself in a mango before I eat a mango."
"Make no judgements where you have no compassion." -Anne McCaffrey
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

lilMango wrote:I think that black hair suits Phil, but it just looks so goddamn unhealthy and lego-like. It's so bristly and flat against his head, to the point where I feel like if I poked it, it would just break off and fall to the floor. It looks so much better when it's pushed back. Please, Phil, join your friends in abandoning the emo hair. It's time.
Oh that's interesting, I actually think Phil's hair looks super healthy! It looks soft and glossy in most pictures I see. I think the flatness is just him straightening it even when he doesn't really need to. But I've always had the impression that because he dyes his hair so regularly he understands how important conditioning is.

(I would however love to have someone with curly hair sit down with Dan and tell him what products to use.)
lilMango
morning quiff

alittledizzy wrote: Oh that's interesting, I actually think Phil's hair looks super healthy! It looks soft and glossy in most pictures I see. I think the flatness is just him straightening it even when he doesn't really need to. But I've always had the impression that because he dyes his hair so regularly he understands how important conditioning is.
It sometimes looks fine when all of the strands are somewhat pushed together, but when you see a single section of it its so brittle looking :'( pls Phil, at least stop with the straightening
bookfiend
spork
Pronouns: She/her

Hi Everybody,

This is my first time posting but I'm a long time lurker. I'm just really happy to have found a site with such fascinating and well thought out insight into one of my favourite topics
I've been a fan since about 2011, left for a while in 2013, came back around 2015 as a casual and jumped headfirst into trashcan at the end of last year (Curse monster pops in all it's glory!).
Anyway, it's nice to meet you all.
:D
My de-lurking reason is because well... I admit that their past with the BBC is something that I find really interesting and couldn't resist speaking up about.

The BBC has lost many shows because of money in the last year. (I think blackdenim mentioned earlier about the Great British Bake off moving to ITV1 and the Voice.)
But, they've also lost a lot of live sporting events Football, Formula 1, the Olympics, Golf etc. I guess a world where online streaming sites are becoming more and more popular (especially with younger audiences) and their stubborn refusal to take up ad revenue may be cutting into their finances more than people realise.

Also, I don't know if I'm completely mistaken here and this is pure speculation. But I do find it interesting how Dan and Phil are happier and less worried about showing off how close they really are now. Especially since they no longer rely on the BBC for a paycheck.....

They've been more like 2009 in terms of couple like behaviour then they have been since what 2010? 2011?

I do think it was definitely a combination money, time and lack of control over their content that caused deppy and the BBC to part ways. And I'm 100% positive that if deppy is real that the BBC don't know about it given how private they are.

But, I do find this change in branding/relationship on screen and the correlation with them no longer being hired by of one of the largest broadcasting companies in the world interesting. Perhaps it's a big factor in why they chose now after all these years?

Sorry this got a lot longer than I originally intended, but I've been thinking about this for a while. All thoughts (including counter-arguments) are welcome. :)
Birdie
blobfish

lilMango wrote:
alittledizzy wrote: Oh that's interesting, I actually think Phil's hair looks super healthy! It looks soft and glossy in most pictures I see. I think the flatness is just him straightening it even when he doesn't really need to. But I've always had the impression that because he dyes his hair so regularly he understands how important conditioning is.
It sometimes looks fine when all of the strands are somewhat pushed together, but when you see a single section of it its so brittle looking :'( pls Phil, at least stop with the straightening
Do we know why he straightens his hair in the first place? If it's straight by nature then... why Phil?
DatCog
blobfish

Mario Kart
Moonbeamsonthepath
living flop
Pronouns: she

I love how they've started calling what they do "consensual banter"
lilMango
morning quiff

That video was SO GOOD I'm still smiling! :D
They were so relaxed and it's great to see them actually trying and being themselves on camera. Especially their win together at the end. So sweet :')
That's a video I know I'm gonna re-watch later.
thephandommenace
procrastinator

Too many cute timestamps from this video that I've now come to accept will be commonplace on 's channels
life is good