Dan & Phil Part 49: Don't curl, quiff

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
weirdforces
smol bean

I just can't get over how their fashion choices tell so much about them. Dan looks so futuristic and stylish in his co-ordinated outfit while Phil looks very next door British guy (except for the slightly outdated hair). It was fascinating to see them interact more naturally and to get a glimpse of their full body language.
missemma
#teamshavedsides
#teamshavedsides
Pronouns: she/her

Side eyeing Cat for zooming in just after she asks Dan to kiss the puppy. Hiis lips move and she moves the puppy in and BAM ZOOM. That's something I want to see now.
:prideheart: :gayaf: :prideheart:
LurkingTrash
woodland creature
Pronouns: She/Her

Didn't even watch cat's video yet but mario kart was lovely, also how they were at some point (most of the video lbr) so squished together and you could see all this extra screen space on Dan's side... makes me happy.
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

So much great content today. The gaming video could not have been more perfect. It's exactly, exactly what I want from the gaming channel. Casual, mildly competitive fun, playing a game they actually care about. If they made Mario Kart a series, I would not be sad. In fact... How do I start a petition?

Obviously, not Cat's biggest fan, but the girl knows what she's doing and like....

source.

rip me.
Ablissa
pastel persona

Just coming in to say that I'm a huge, huge dog lover and still spent the whole video staring at deppy instead of the cute puppy. What is wrong with me
Not a fan of Cat at all, but she knows how to get views haha, I've already seen the video three times.
sapienveneficus
rainbow nerd

There really has been a flood of content today. I loved the Mario Kart video for all the reasons already stated above. Dan really does have a pronounced fascination with butt stuff.

Ditto the puppy video with one minor caveat. I had a hard time getting past just how ugly that dog was. I can't stand pit bulls.
"Someone, somewhere is into that." Daniel Howell
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

I can't must up enough interest in Cat to even have strong feelings about her, but damn - she knows what a puppy does for youtube views. Puppy plus deppy? She must be riding a complete high right now. (And one she probably won't reach again unless she celebrates getting her fourth puppy circa vidcon 2018.)

Her comment about what their dog will be like just cements my belief that house-and-puppy are in the immediate vicinity for Dan and Phil, and that it's probably something they do casually talk about with trusted friends. I'd give them a year in their current place tops.
SneakyLizard
butt chair

The gaming video was perfect, I love it so much. That same easy, relaxed feeling and they definitely enjoy that game :) I'm still smiling hours later.

Also loving the puppy interactions. I adore pitbulls, they are such intelligent, gentle companions and this one's a beauty. I think my favorite thing though was what Phil's voice is doing. I don't think I've ever heard that tone from him, not even with the Koala. I keep re-playing 1:01 to 1:04 "I love him" and that soft "Dan, Dan, Dan' when he hands the puppy off. I'm deceased. And the other thing I keep going back to watch is how gentle Dan is. Noticed it in the hair curling video (but as has been noted by others, he is always gentle with Phil) but he's so big, and his hands are freakin enormous and yet so delicate with that tiny dog and it's beautiful.
we walk among you
lilMango
morning quiff

alittledizzy wrote: Her comment about what their dog will be like just cements my belief that house-and-puppy are in the immediate vicinity for Dan and Phil, and that it's probably something they do casually talk about with trusted friends. I'd give them a year in their current place tops.
Oh lord this idea gets me excited, and ever since they moved, anything seems possible! I loved when she said that too, it made me feel all warm and fuzzy (and forgiving towards Cat lol)
SneakyLizard wrote:Also loving the puppy interactions. I adore pitbulls, they are such intelligent, gentle companions and this one's a beauty. I think my favorite thing though was what Phil's voice is doing. I don't think I've ever heard that tone from him, not even with the Koala. I keep re-playing 1:01 to 1:04 "I love him" and that soft "Dan, Dan, Dan' when he hands the puppy off. I'm deceased. And the other thing I keep going back to watch is how gentle Dan is. Noticed it in the hair curling video (but as has been noted by others, he is always gentle with Phil) but he's so big, and his hands are freakin enormous and yet so delicate with that tiny dog and it's beautiful.
THIS. his voice, his gentle hands... This video will go down in depp history *sigh*
Phil Lester wrote:"I'll rub myself in a mango before I eat a mango."
"Make no judgements where you have no compassion." -Anne McCaffrey
confusedpanda
ar·tic·u·late
Pronouns: Her/she

The puppy video was so cute!! cat did well with this video idea. I give her so many props for doing this! Truly giving the audience what they want. Deppy with a house and a dog 2k18 please!!!!!
Also deppy's Mario kart video was great too. I did like how at the end they mentioned possibly playing against the fans aka the phan prix yet again. A part of me wishes they would do a live steaming of it on the gaming channel, it would be a fun experience for all of us.
We're here, we're queer, we're filled with existential fear!
gif cred: pseudophan on tumblr
SneakyLizard
butt chair

confusedpanda wrote:The puppy video was so cute!! cat did well with this video idea. I give her so many props for doing this! Truly giving the audience what they want. Deppy with a house and a dog 2k18 please!!!!!
Also deppy's Mario kart video was great too. I did like how at the end they mentioned possibly playing against the fans aka the phan prix yet again. A part of me wishes they would do a live steaming of it on the gaming channel, it would be a fun experience for all of us.
I would call in sick to work to watch it live. Not even kidding.
we walk among you
tactigdsve
tol bean

the idea of cat owning a pit bull worries me a little. even well-trained, well-disciplined pits who have been raised in a loving home need a lot of time devoted to them, and are statistically more likely to attack than most other breeds. and considering cat's track record of irresponsible pet ownership, i worry that this dog might get a bit out of hand or even become a real danger. i just hope she's changed her ways so this dog doesn't end up in a shelter like so many pits already do.....

(just want to add that i don't hate pit bulls; i've listened to both sides of the debate and made my personal conclusion that, while pit bulls CAN be (and often are!) amazing and affectionate pets, they also pose a higher risk than most other breeds, and i just can't trust them. and i'm sure even pit bull lovers agree that they are NOT the right pet for everyone, and owners need to be extremely dedicated to the training and discipline of the dog as well as understanding the risks involved in owning such a breed.)

less dog-ownership rants, more video-related talk:
puppy video was ok? i love puppies but i don't really find it as interesting to watch other people play with them. that being said, i did smile massively at phil's first reaction to the puppy -- his excitement about animals is contagious! :^)

mario kart video was good! i feel like i'm in the minority in that i'm almost always rooting for dan in any competitive situation, maybe because i too am a competitive shithead, and i want my fellow competitive shitheads to have more opportunities to bask in the glory of winning. heh. but yeah, good vid. i have nothing of substance to say today.
blackdenim
procrastinator

What did Cat do to her previous dogs to make everyone so sceptical? I don't really know anything about her!
droopy
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

blackdenim wrote:What did Cat do to her previous dogs to make everyone so sceptical? I don't really know anything about her!
I'm not sure if I've heard everything (since I don't really follow her content, like, at all) but the main "story" is that one of her dogs, as a puppy, swallowed a sock she had left on the ground, and became so sick that part of the sock that couldn't digest had to be surgically removed (I think?). She apparently didn't have the funds to pay the vet bills, so she asked her audience for donations. And then there was another story of one puppy being accidentally underfed, and then one time she left one of the dogs outside for so long that her landlord had to enter her apartment and give the dog a cold bath? Or something? That's what I remember reading (I was trying to figure out why the phandom seemed to collectively shun her), so I'm sure if you Google it you'll be able to find the full answers.
opendoor
rainbow nerd

At 4:00, when Dan caught Phil sneaking the puppy a treat even though it didn't do the trick and he was like "I couldn't help it" Also when the puppy crossed the "bridge", that was the cutest shit.
I miss Dan Howell's stupid face.
tactigdsve
tol bean

droopy wrote:
blackdenim wrote:What did Cat do to her previous dogs to make everyone so sceptical? I don't really know anything about her!
I'm not sure if I've heard everything (since I don't really follow her content, like, at all) but the main "story" is that one of her dogs, as a puppy, swallowed a sock she had left on the ground, and became so sick that part of the sock that couldn't digest had to be surgically removed (I think?). She apparently didn't have the funds to pay the vet bills, so she asked her audience for donations. And then there was another story of one puppy being accidentally underfed, and then one time she left one of the dogs outside for so long that her landlord had to enter her apartment and give the dog a cold bath? Or something? That's what I remember reading (I was trying to figure out why the phandom seemed to collectively shun her), so I'm sure if you Google it you'll be able to find the full answers.
wrt to the landlord story, there's slightly more than that: it wasn't just one day where she left the dogs outside, she would leave them on the balcony whenever she wasn't home. but besides that i think your summary is pretty much accurate (as far as i know, anyway).

the sock story doesn't really contribute to my opinions of her dog ownership -- while she should have done a better job at puppy-proofing the environment, accidents happen. puppies get themselves into all kinds of situations, and i don't really place the blame on cat for that one. and i have nothing against asking for donations to help with surgery for a pet, although it is good to have some funds saved up for such situations. & the bit about accidentally underfeeding her puppy shows a lack of research on her part, which is troublesome.

i don't think she's a severe dog-abuser or anything like that, i have no doubt that she loves her dogs dearly, but it just seems like she's a little uneducated on proper dog care. i can't help but worry for any dog whose owner thinks/thought it was okay to leave two heatstroke-prone dogs in a small space with no method of escape on what was presumably quite a hot day. she was either unaware of the risk factor involved (uneducated), or was aware but disregarded it (neglectful).

i don't think i'd be so bothered if cat had bought another french bulldog, but a pit bull is a whole different thing -- a pit bull in the hands of an uneducated owner is a much more difficult (and possibly dangerous) situation than a frenchie in the wrong hands. but like i said in my earlier post, hopefully she's accepted her mistakes, changed her ways, and started making more effort to educate herself.
bookfiend
spork
Pronouns: She/her

Catallena you make a good point about the other Radio DJs I had forgotten. Although, I do think them being brand new to a mainstream audience, new to the BBC and financially unstable would play a big role in making any decisions in their life.

Mario Kart I really want to see them play against some of their viewers now. I'm pretty sure they've mentioned the possibility of this before?

It'd be a good way to change things up a little, and I do enjoy seeing the work as a team against other people. I'd sign a petition for them to play a game like charades against some other YouTubers so we can see how well that mind meld really works. :D

Puppy vidThe puppy video was adorable, I'm glad I wasn't the only one watching Dan and Phil's reactions more than the dog.

I'm am totally expecting to go nuts when they finally live in a place where they can own pets.

Edit: Still working out how to add vids properly :facepalm:

Basically this:
LtrllySusan
lava lamp

Highlight of the MK video: "Sniff the back of my exhaust pipe" :sideeye:

IDK why the puppy video didn't do so much for me sure, cute and all, but with the stories that people wrote here in mind, feeling a bit sorry for the poor overwhelmed puppy. Also, if this is her fourth one, what happened to the other three dogs?
JustMe
living flop
Pronouns: She/her

saffarinda wrote: We were around some other dogs last week and he went for them, and I had to be strict and give him a smack on the nose and tell him off
[offtopic]Hitting an abused dog doesn't feel right to me. Also been proven that negative reinforcement like that doesn't work (as well) as positive reinforcement. Maybe try watching some Ceasar Milan shows, where he teaches people body language tricks and explains how dogs think. As he says, it's often the owner that's doing something wrong rather than the dog. Not trying to attack you but just explaining what I know.[/offtopic]
~ I'll be bold as well as strong and use my head alongside my heart ~
missemma
#teamshavedsides
#teamshavedsides

rizzo wrote:Image
source.

rip me.
oh wow ok well, me right now:

this would be one of those avatars that I sit and watch on repeat for hours.
:prideheart: :gayaf: :prideheart:
teamug
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

JustMe wrote:
saffarinda wrote: We were around some other dogs last week and he went for them, and I had to be strict and give him a smack on the nose and tell him off
[offtopic]Hitting an abused dog doesn't feel right to me. Also been proven that negative reinforcement like that doesn't work (as well) as positive reinforcement. Maybe try watching some Ceasar Milan shows, where he teaches people body language tricks and explains how dogs think. As he says, it's often the owner that's doing something wrong rather than the dog. Not trying to attack you but just explaining what I know.[/offtopic]
NO. DO NOT TAKE ADVICE FROM CESAR MILAN. His training relies on domination and fear. And if you choose to go by his method don't be surprised when your dog bites you. No dog will respect and follow a human that needs to dominate by slamming the dogs' body to the ground. Personally I don't think a scuff on the nose is going to harm most dogs (it is an action that dogs will naturally do), but in your training you need to know your dogs limits, and what works and what will not improve your relationship.
Victoria Stilwell is a much much better trainer to follow.
(not an attack post, but the cesar comment burned my retinas.)
realiity
tol bean

god damn phil is unbearably cringy for me to watch these days. just stop trying to be ~quirky~, for the love of god. it was cutesy to start with but now it just makes him unbearable to watch.
captainspacecoat
stress mushroom

Thenk you Cat for my life :')

That was the most adorable video that has ever been uploaded to the internet, what did we do to deserve this?? They were both so gentle with the puppy (especially Dan, what a gentle giant), and Phil giving it the treat despite not doing the trick, and Dan smiling fondly at Phil holding the puppy up like Simba, and Phil's enthusiastic "DanDanDan!!!" when he handed the puppy to Dan at the beginning.. just really good content, thank you so much :")

(me watching the vid^)

(also I'm willing to give Cat the benefit of the doubt that with age and experience she's learned how to properly take care of her dogs. I hold no animosity toward her whatsoever for the sock incident as sometimes accidents like that are unavoidable and it's impossible to be constantly vigilant all the time, and while the other incidents are definitely questionable she may very well have learned her lesson and improved as a person. Cat's videos are mostly bland and boring, but I do think some people are unnecessarily harsh to her sometimes, and I don't think it's fair to accuse her of using dnp for views when they're her friends who consented to being in her video (not talking about anyone here, just wider conversation I've seen on twitter)).

Also also the Mario Kart video was great obvs, 10/10. Special shout-out to them reminiscing over Phil's enthusiasm about the thunderstorm in Florida
saffarinda
truth bomb

Post about my dog/training/abused doggo/dog trainers:
JustMe wrote:
[offtopic]Oh, no it's fine - I'll go and watch some of the shows. It's just when your dog literally goes to attack another dog in public, you need to show some kind of negative response otherwise people get angry and start questioning why you're not telling them off. It sounds so terrible, but we usually have to give him a sharp slap to the nose to grab his attention and then tell him off in a firm voice whilsf glaring at him. We usually hold eye contact for about ten seconds whilst our dog attempts to advert eye contact because he knows he's done something wrong. Then I usually say "Okay" to him and continue, making sure to pet and praise him as we continue walking. He stops looking guilty as soon as I stop glaring and gets excited as soon as I praise him again, so it seems it isn't putting any negative impact upon his mental health and wellbeing.

I think a lot of people could see it as bad from an outside perspective, but my dog has bitten people before - one of my friends actually, he should've been put down but we couldn't do it, and once went for this guys dog who threatened to call someone to get him put down. He still doesn't stop going for other dogs (although we have managed to train him to manage being around them now, but he'll still start snapping if other dogs start sniffing him for too long), however we have managed to get him better with humans - now he just follows any person in our house around to make sure they're not doing anything.

We can tell from his response to things what kind of abuse he went through. My dad is a tall man, and when we first got him he was terrifed of him and always went to attack him. He doesn't like feet at all, as he's getting older if he wakes up by our feet he starts growling and snapping at them, often getting to the point where he has his mouth around one of our feet before he realises and stops - so we assume he was kicked.

I'll definitely see if those shows can help us, but I suppose we'll just have to see how easy it is to make an old dog learn new tricks. (For reference, he's some sort of irish border collie. I can't find any pics that look similar to him because he's a cross-breed with who knows what).[/offtopic]
teamug wrote:
JustMe wrote:
NO. DO NOT TAKE ADVICE FROM CESAR MILAN. His training relies on domination and fear. And if you choose to go by his method don't be surprised when your dog bites you. No dog will respect and follow a human that needs to dominate by slamming the dogs' body to the ground. Personally I don't think a scuff on the nose is going to harm most dogs (it is an action that dogs will naturally do), but in your training you need to know your dogs limits, and what works and what will not improve your relationship.
Victoria Stilwell is a much much better trainer to follow.
(not an attack post, but the cesar comment burned my retinas.)
[offtopic]Oh god, no I definitely won't be slamming my dogs body to the ground. We have established that a short, sharp slap with a glare and telling the dog off in a firm voice works for us all as a family. We keep it consistent so he always knows when he's done something wrong (although we have to yell at him every time he barks at the TV... and printer... and us when we leave the house, especially when we leave the house with bin bags - no idea why. I can hear him barking as my parents leave the house rn aha).

Maybe I should check Victoria out instead. I much prefer telling my dog off via body langauge (if he does something wrong in the house, then instantly wants attention, I look away and fold my arms whilst he tried to shove his nose through my arm so I'll pet him).

I seriously don't want my family to sound like a bunch of dog abusers, my mums had around 10 dogs in her life time, we know how to care for dogs and give my dog was more affection than punishment. It's only in circumstances where he starts going for anyone that we have to tell him off in such a way.[/offtopic]
25/04/2017 - #blessed
000dia000
emo goose

weirdforces wrote:I just can't get over how their fashion choices tell so much about them. Dan looks so futuristic and stylish in his co-ordinated outfit while Phil looks very next door British guy (except for the slightly outdated hair). It was fascinating to see them interact more naturally and to get a glimpse of their full body language.
Lmao I'm sorry but Dan isn't futuristic looking for wearing a baggy shirt

I didn't really like the video that much, it was just a vlog and nothing really happened
:cactus: