Dan & Phil Part 49: Don't curl, quiff

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
saffarinda
truth bomb
Pronouns: she/her

Just wondering why y'all had such painful brace experiences? I had my braces removed a week or two ago, and for the time that I had them on the only pain I felt was when I first had them put on, and then some slight discomfort whenever they were tightened. All of my direct friendship group have had braces as well, with teeth much worse than mine (I just had an overbite and a crooked tooth, I only had braces on my top row) and they felt the same amount of pain (I'm from England btw).

Anyway, whilst I have noticed dnp's teeth and how they differ from the Hollywood Perfection I just... don't care. Let them do what they want with them tbh. Though I do think Phil used to feel self conscious about his teeth due to the fact that he used to cover his mouth with his hand when he laughed, and I'm just so pleased that as he got more popular he gained so much more confidence.

I'd agree, that comment about being relieved when you saw people pointing out her teeth in the comments rubbed me the wrong way. Being relieved that you saw people responding to her video soley regarding her teeth? Knowing full well that she would read these comments and probably feel self conscious as a result? That's just... wrong.

I like the domesticity, but the thrill of a new project is great at keeping the phandom hyped. It's interesting, because with other YT's I can watch without new projects for ages. I guess I'm just more invested in dnp.
25/04/2017 - #blessed
autumnhearth
senpai

I hope the boys are having fun playing their new video game. What are the chances that they would film some of that for the gaming channel? Well not that, as in their first experience with it. I'm assuming it is a long (trilogy duh) levels based game, but something? Oh nevermind it's single player. How about some side channel frustrating footage as a homage to the original? No? Joint liveshow today please? Probably not. Okay then, fingers crossed for individual liveshows and a Sims house renovation video sometime this week.

Those little shibe plushies are adorable. Yay dogs. Somehow my Tumblr has turned into nothing but puppy gifs and sunsets for three days in a row. Oops.
Lyan
tol bean

hi, just delurking to say what the fuck dan ???????????? HOW. HOW DO YOU FINISH CRASH IN TWO DAYS A 100% HOW JUST. this game is infernal. it's abysmal. i feel like crying every time i play bc crash keeps. falling. into. the. fucking holes.

and dan and phil have finished the fucking game. there's no way unless they haven't slept in like two days and there must have been so much crying and screaming. half of my twitter's timeline are ripping their hair out with this game. jesuschrist. i would kill for some footage of their playhthrough :________

anyways i'm saying nothing of the teeth thingy bc 1) i find it kinda gross? (not that you talk about it, talking about teeth in general. just... no) 2) i think it must be a country thing bc i know no-one who got braces. they are expensive and we're all poor so /shrug

/back to lurking
coffeepenguin
rainbow nerd

Re: losing interest and new projects
I haven't been in the phandom for a long time, but I don't see myself leaving anytime soon. I need my daily dose of light entertainment heavily mixed with domestic bliss and I'm not getting it from anywhere else, so as long as deppy will provide (and it looks like they're planning on continuing as long as they can), I'll happily stay in the trashcan.

Speaking of new projects, I don't exactly feel that they need to, but it might be good for them individually. I agree with dizzy and dia about solo projects. I've been in another RPS fandom for a long time with two entertainers who chose to work together (and even had to fight for it) but it's been obvious to everybody that they are if not more successful, then definitely more accomplished in their solo projects. But if we are really talking about dream projects, I would loooove to see Dan talk about his mental health (note pls that I'm not talking about any specific diagnostic, he's talked about it himself) and what's going on in his head, talk more about his creative process, like Tom does (yeah, dream on, girl...), maybe do a series on it. With his last video on memes, I can even see him actually doing it if he stumbles upon a good idea on how to spin it. Most of all, I like Dan's passion, so I'd love to see him do a project on something he's really interested in (like politics, even if I don't agree with him all the time), but as we've discussed multiples times on this forum, that might invite A: much more prying from the phandom into his private self than what he's currently prepared to, and turning it into another meme - and B: a shitstorm about his opinions. Unfortunately, I think this will continue to prevent him from doing it for the foreseeable future (I'll be happy to be proven wrong though).

With Phil, it's even more complicated, as much as I'd like to see a Phil-movie, I don't think he has enough ambition or motivation, he might need someone to push him and Dan's not the fanboy he was in the beginning nor, it seems, he's in a state right now where he's satisfied with his own content to be able to provide support to someone else, it feels more like a vice versa situation. I've been thinking for some time about Phil's comment about Attack on Titan in his last liveshow, where he regrets the lack of Levi in the second season and says "I think it's 'cause it's based on a manga, so maybe when they were drawing it, they didn't know how popular Levi was". I think it represents his mindset about providing the audience with what they want quite well (aaaand now I'm back to thinking about the terrible, horrible choice, IMO, that was the inclusion of the fanfiction segment in TATINOF and who we have to thank for it, geez). On the other hand, we know that what Phil wants, Phil gets, and if he wants to try a new thing ( ), he'll do just that (again, with TATINOF and doing magic tricks). Maybe try producing something for someone else? Idk, like I said, it's very complicated in my head.

And I don't think a podcast would work, sorry (don't kill me). It would need some other new content every time apart from just bants, I don't think guests would work because deppy are awkward with people and making fun of other people's content will make me unsubscribe faster that you can say "phan" (especially reading fanfiction, doesn't even matter if it's about them or someone else, just god, please, no, insert that Steve Carell gif). Trying new things (sorry, not intended this time), failing in it and recounting the experience might work, it's their shtick anyway, but that would need a lot of preparation and, more importantly, going outside of their comfort zone a lot, I just don't think it's realistic. Might be fun, though sorry, long post is long
Dan wants to be understood. Phil just wants to make the viewer smile and sell some backpacks (c) fancybum
Ilovethemohyesido
living flop

I do imagine it was crying and screaming for two days which is why the only tweets we had since they arrived to London were related to CB.
fancybum
senpai

Um yes please and thank
Ooh, wonder what this will be... Lol what if he has a new video out before ever talking about the last one
Thanks and have a great day! Oil me
000dia000
emo goose

Very small mention of Phil in Tomska's latest vid:
Mention is @7.45

I just liked how Tom knew enough about Phil to know he's very into Buffy, enough to associate the tv show with Phil and make this very "inside" joke that I don't even think Charlie gets.
:cactus:
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

I'm incredibly happy with the way things are now. Regular videos and domestic bliss. Actual YouTube content. And if I don't like a video it doesn't really matter because they'll be serving me something new two days later. None of all this book and tour shit anymore, I was never interested in any of it and as time went by I only grew incredibly annoyed at everything to do with it. I'm proud of what they achieved and all but ugh. I really don't want another ~secret project~ though the realistic part of me knows they probably got something up their sleeves again and that eventually their content will probably suffer from it again (unless the secret project centers on YouTube). But my obsessive honeymoon phase in the phandom ended 4 years ago. Like thephandomenace said, it has become like a comfortable long term relationship. I don't really need the grand things or be 100% into everything they do anymore and and I'm super okay with that. It allows me to be a happy multifandom hoe who can stan other things on the side. Now that I'm not annoyed at them all the time like last year, D&P has quietly settled in their spot in my heart again and they ain't leaving anytime soon. I'm usually super loyal to my fandoms anyway, I ult stan an kpop group that has been on an undisclosed indefinite hiatus for about 4 years now and am still waiting for the next chapter of a manga that has been on hold since 2009 due to illness of the author. If I survived stanning D&P in 2016 I'll survive anything.
captainspacecoat wrote:
eevee wrote: Maybe it's because I've been a dedicated youtube viewer since 2007ish before they were stars with other things to pursue. But right now, I'm extremely happy that Dan and Phil aren't doing a project. I like watching youtubers be youtubers: normal people who live and/or recount their lives on camera. I don't watch youtubers to read their books and go to their shows.

It all feels very calm and blissful right now in deppy world. I'm on cloud nine.
God me too! While I support dnp in all their endeavours, I must admit that I'd be quite happy if there were no secret projects on the cards. I wasn't super into tab/tinof personally, so the amount of time they spent on that didn't entice or excite me at all (I actually stopped watching them at the time that all began, and only returned last year). That's just me being selfish, and I'm glad they did the book and tour as it was fulfilling for them and also for a lot of viewers, but what I personally love best is the quiet and the calm and the domesticity, and I'm 100% mostly here for their youtube channels (the gaming channel in particular). Having said that, I have no doubt that there is a secret project on the cards, and I'm both intrigued and trepidatious about what that is haha
All of this basically

Domestic arguments aka happiness. :thumb:
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
lurker
janice from the shop
Pronouns: they/them

fancybum wrote:
Um yes please and thank
the mario cart video already made my soul ascend...could we actually get to see them being good at a game for a second time in this lifetime...do we really deserve this... :sobs:
fancybum wrote:
Ooh, wonder what this will be... Lol what if he has a new video out before ever talking about the last one
maybe that's exactly his intention
i'm really curious about that though -- i'd love to see him do another "topic-themed" video like the last one, because i'd like to see how it'd compare to the last one and because i like them in principle. or to try something new on his quest to find that sweet daniel howell content. maybe him and anthony should exchange experiences about the search of their true youtube selves. i'm in a "content with everything" mindset at the moment though, i wouldn't even mind him resorting to isg10 tbh (although i don't think that'd happen, it's been too short) because i'd interpret it as him taking more time while maintaining a reasonable upload schedule.

i wonder if the tinder ad is still on the table i didn't think it was after phil's video because of dan talking over the spon and saying it was "cringe", but now i realized he probably meant the content, not the idea of a tinder ad itself. conclusion: we need a ls.
thank's you were great
plath
sofa crease

coffeepenguin wrote: But if we are really talking about dream projects, I would loooove to see Dan talk about his mental health (note pls that I'm not talking about any specific diagnostic, he's talked about it himself) and what's going on in his head, talk more about his creative process, like Tom does (yeah, dream on, girl...), maybe do a series on it. With his last video on memes, I can even see him actually doing it if he stumbles upon a good idea on how to spin it. Most of all, I like Dan's passion, so I'd love to see him do a project on something he's really interested in (like politics, even if I don't agree with him all the time), but as we've discussed multiples times on this forum, that might invite A: much more prying from the phandom into his private self than what he's currently prepared to, and turning it into another meme - and B: a shitstorm about his opinions. Unfortunately, I think this will continue to prevent him from doing it for the foreseeable future (I'll be happy to be proven wrong though).
I totally agree with all of this!! I would love for Dan to speak more freely about mental health and/or politics but I understand why he might not want to. There's a lot of baggage that comes with both topics. Your comment (and podcast mention) made me have the crazy thought/dream that Dan would be a guest on Owen Jones's podcast...maybe talking about engaging younger voters/youth politics? That would be ridiculous but so great. Please, Dan, if you're reading this, make it happen!!! (Also I love your natural hair. it's good. it's a good hair)

I feel like most of the phandom wouldn't even care tbh? A lot of the wider fandom are international and only marginally aware of UK politics. The british fandom are solidly young (even "older" fandom members are mostly in their 20s or 30s) and demographically thus likely to be leftist. The main backlash I foresee coming is from outside the fandom - people who only know D+P as "youtubers". The political establishment/commentariat are solidly middle/upper class and very stuffy, I can imagine them being very "who are you young man" to a Youtuber who dared to be politically active I can see Dan getting more politically engaged once this whole youtube thing is over though, like 10-20 years in the future (assuming the Great Orange One hasn't blown us all up, obvs) when he's ready to adopt a more "serious" public persona.

I would love for Dan to also talk a it more openly about mental health. It could really help a lot of people, including myself. But there's so much stigma surrounding mental health, I can understand why he wouldn't want to deal with that. There's also this weird thing where youtubers get accused of faking stuff like that for attention (look at the backlash Lucy Moon's been getting just for being open about her stuff) and I can see him just wanting not to deal with that at all. Also, it's just a very personal thing to be sharing with the masses? Dan and Phil put so much of themselves online, but they are also deeply private people. It's reasonable if they don't want to have everything out there for everyone to see.Your idea of him doing a series would be good, but if that happens then I hope he does more research than he did for the philosophy video. Imo, Dan shines best when he's talking about his own experiences and his own opinions.
nope.
karma_yeah
philussy

IckleMissMayhem wrote:
000dia000 wrote: and imagine a repeat of this:

not boring anymore...
I would LOVE to see a video of this! for side by side comparison science.
Catallena wrote:
Domestic arguments aka happiness. :thumb:
The tweet says "friends", Dan replies "Phil and I". But THIS, I want to see. I'm sure it's adorable.

I hope comes through for us!
What goes around, comes around Image
somethingsketchy
janice from the shop

I have nothing substantial to add to the conversation (as always), but I'll leave this here since no one has mentioned it yet.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Ablissa wrote:[offtopic] teeth discussion
This is what I meant in my earlier post when I said Phil might feel bad reading opinions on things he can't change about himself (I agree with you though, dizzy, that he probably wouldn't and it's me projecting).
Just to be clear, since until right now it didn't occur to me that my post could be taken that way, I wouldn't encourage anyone to give negative opinions on things Phil can't easily change about himself; my post about Phil not taking it personally had to do with people talking about what hairstyles/color they liked on him - which are things that are pure choice and very easy to change, and that most people do change now and then.

Also fuck yeah to Crash Bandicoot 2.0 video please yes, and fuck yeah to Thomas Sanders leaving the door open for a collab.
nøx
spork

Re. being bored: I've been a pretty casual fan for a long time (I think since sometime 2013? But like I said, casual, hard to pinpoint) with occasional bursts, like right now. I'm so into everything that's happening, it's nice and fun, a steady flow of sweet content and the boys being happy, which is contagious to me ahah. I guess I don't really have much to say except that I'm absolutely not bored at all.

RE. future projects: Though I'm definitely most into what they're doing now and their regular youtube content, I'm definitely excited for whatever secret project they're working on! And hey, if it's not for me and takes up their time for a while, I'll go engage in some other fandom for a little while, that's okay. I agree that it would be cool to see them do more separate things now! I wanna see what they would come up with at this point.
Very specifically, I'd loooove a DITL. And uhm an apartment tour :D I know, understand and respect that they won't, but I really love that kinda stuff and I can't not want it but oh well.
For the gaming channel, I'd honestly love to see them play that Dream Daddy game. It might be not be suited for a gaming channel, what do I know, but... maybe it could be fun. It looks fun and I'm super curious about who they would pick to date.
Also, I recently watched the Interactive Christmas Adventure for the very first time and I absolutely loved it?? It was so fun and cute and idk? It'll probably never happen, but I would love to see something like that again tbh. Anyone else who'd be into it?
Oh well, simple desires :D
iwishiwasacasual
glabella

boredom: i spend all my time inside, by myself so a 20 minute video about dnp comparing the prices of microwaves would be pretty interesting to me, obviously i prefer some content over others but overall i feel like i'm satisfied with the content they are currently creating (it might be because im still riding the high of the puppy video and that wasn't even their video). i would like it if they did some longer lets plays on the gaming channel like undertale, i liked those videos because they were more chill (i could have done without the irritating voices though)

projects: i'm all for them doing new stuff, even thought i didn't really like tabinof/tatinof, but if i have to suffer through them making some cringy ass youtuber movie like shane dawson or smosh i will literally die. its unlikely that they'd do that because its too similar to tatinof but just the thought makes me want to scream
queerofcups
spork
Pronouns: they | them

oh man, lets see if i can sucessfully embed this tweet.
From Dan's likes today. Now that's what I call character development.
lurker
janice from the shop

queerofcups wrote:
thank's you were great
onetruetrash
blobfish

queerofcups wrote:oh man, lets see if i can sucessfully embed this tweet.
Dan liked it?! That's so sweet.
LtrllySusan
lava lamp

No LS today? Wasn't Phil back on doing Sundays, or did I miss an info tweet?
DatCog
blobfish

LtrllySusan wrote:No LS today? Wasn't Phil back on doing Sundays, or did I miss an info tweet?
I thought he was going back to Thursdays, although I did half expect him to do one today as it's been a while. He's probably knackered after constantly playing Crash Bandicoot with Dan for the past few days!
droopy
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

queerofcups wrote:oh man, lets see if i can sucessfully embed this tweet.
this is so sweet
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

LtrllySusan wrote:No LS today? Wasn't Phil back on doing Sundays, or did I miss an info tweet?
He said Sundays for June, and that he wouldn't be back until July, but I don't think he ever clarified if he'd be back on a Sunday in July or a Thursday. :/ Cmon Phil, be kind to us.
Ablissa
pastel persona

No mention of a LS, so guess not today.
DatCog
blobfish

K-Pop time:
000dia000
emo goose

DatCog wrote:K-Pop time:
Let's be honest, this isn't worth watching.
:cactus: