Dan & Phil Part 50: Should we kiss now?

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
MaggieW
glabella
Pronouns: she/her

autumnhearth wrote:
Vanderlyle wrote: i think dan just wants his sexuality to be as common as his tea preference.
Now I just really want to know Dan's tea preferences. I'm partial to roasted oolongs and shu pu'er myself, but I love so many other varieties. (I used to work in a tea store, the got really into samples and tastings. My only other forum experiences before IDB were Steepster and Backyard Chickens). Actually I might be disappointed in his tea selection. I'm guessing some herbal, maybe green (Oh! I forgot! We finally tried green tea Kit-Kats!) and your standard English Breakfast. But I would still love a mention in like a "things that keep me grounded" side channel video.
Now I just want a video of Dan talking about tea and scented candles pls make that happen
adequate duck
cheeky #spon
Pronouns: she/they

Phantasy wrote:Ultimately, I didn't find the video to be all that revelatory, because he's been laying the sexuality breadcrumbs for years now, but I do think he is in full blown glass-closet mode now... not just a quick male attraction mention that could have been interpreted as joke, but a full dating spon video where the majority of matches were with guys.

And since the majority were males, I wonder if that's a subtle way of telling the audience where on the Kinsey Scale he lands...
I mean, not full blown Babadook, but definitely on that side...
(I'm aware the Kinsey Scale is outdated—just for the lolz)
[offtopic]so apparently my level of sexuality is grumpy dude in flip flops? yeah, i can see that[/offtopic]
"don't respect any ducks" - phil lester
neetbuzzer
delia smith
Pronouns: he/him/tired

in one of my "so u think u can gay" school club activity event... things... (there were free snacks, don't judge me) we had to do this "imagine straight wasn't the default" exercise and I was 15 and it blew my mind.

and then one day on the bus I was feeling mopey so I just imaginedTM that everyone around me was Very Queer and I instantly felt both safer and happier, which was a real fucking surprise.

basically what I'm saying is: why assume someone is straight until proven homo? when, y'know. you could not do that

p.s. the term "sexuality breadcrumbs" should be a band name, and I refuse to align myself with whatever mess is happening with the 3 model of that spectrum. my hair would never.
ImageImage
no one would talk to you on fur affinity
droopy
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

Phantasy wrote:Ultimately, I didn't find the video to be all that revelatory, because he's been laying the sexuality breadcrumbs for years now, but I do think he is in full blown glass-closet mode now... not just a quick male attraction mention that could have been interpreted as joke, but a full dating spon video where the majority of matches were with guys.

And since the majority were males, I wonder if that's a subtle way of telling the audience where on the Kinsey Scale he lands...
Is he really in a glass closet? I've seen people on here use this term a lot for deppy, and maybe I'm misunderstanding what people mean when they use it, so sorry if I am, but to me Dan isn't in any sort of closet when it comes to his sexuality. When I hear "glass closet," it makes me think that the person in the closet is trying to hide something and doing a terrible job. But I don't think Dan is trying to hide anything, as far as his sexuality goes. He just hasn't done a "formal" coming out to his audience, which doesn't necessarily mean he's closeted. This isn't meant to target you, your comment just happened to be the one that got me thinking!
The Babadook doesn't even scare me anymore. I mean, just look at him in his snazzy hat,
chilling with his lgbt bros, that toothy, self-accepting smile...
papierklemmen
flower crown

his pick up lines and those conversations were funny. the way he presented them in the video was not. reading them out and commenting? meh. reminded me of his meme vids where he just sits there and reacts to something he'd already seen. as much as i hate tinder trollings videos i think these jokey conversations are funnier when you see them happen in real time.
morbit
phillion/danosaur <//3

This is the first Dan video that I've really enjoyed in a while! It was funny even though I cringe at his #relatable branding.
nøx
spork
Pronouns: they/them

I can't believe this video was uploaded approx. 10 minutes after the gf and I finally went to bed after a Dan and Phil "oh god we can't be arsed to do anything productive today, lets just chill and blast some of Kath's faves on the chromecast"-fricking marathon (my phone tells me I used it for 10 hours yesterday, whoops.) What a missed opportunity!

Anyway, loved the vid, it was hilarious, absolutely looking forward to rewatch later today. I think it was a clever way of going about making a spon and honestly, if I was looking to date, this is probably pretty much exactly how I'd go about it to survive my own horrific awkwardness. Love a good cringelaugh about myself tbh.
I'm on SS Not Surpised About the Lads, but I'm happy to see Dan being so comfortable and non-issue about it. I know this can be difficult. I personally always "come out" very quick but the only reaction I want is a complete non-reaction (unless it's "same tho") and that's just... so far from guaranteed :D So I thought that was neat. Think my fave part of the vid was the lil skit though. I love Dan's skits.
Susanisnotafish
flower crown
Pronouns: She/her

As much as I really liked Dan's tinder vid, if he was interacting with real people, it kind of bugs me that he (already probably a millionaire) gets spon money from that vid and those people get nothing. He couldn't have done it without them. Not really a big deal, just a thought I had. Also wonder if deppy are together how they handle their finances. I've even wondered if they always split the check when eating out, or take turns paying.

AutumnHearth, Dan did mention in a ls his fave tea. Can't remember other than it had a v fancy name. The teas you mentioned didn't ring a bell.
"Rub those freckles all over me!" --Daniel Howell
vincentian
hobbit hair

I didn’t like Dan's video, but didn’t hate it either. I guess it was ok for a spon video, 7/10. The idea is frankly rehashed, but the sexy internet dating vid was popular, and so it makes sense he made a more pc 2017 version of it. If he is supposedly “good with words”, couldn’t he actually write some witty pick up lines himself, not google them and make lazy adjustments. Some of chat up lines he came up with were actually pretty funny, but only a few. Imo the good message at the end was weak, given how easily he gave up when the last girl was “nice” to the character he played. I think that final convo was the least witty and could easily be edited out. (Also good idea not to promo companies that you don't care about at all.)
Am I to understand that essentially Dan’s rebrand was in picking out and not dropping, but crystallizing things that he’s generally known for on youtube, like “sad” existential humour, memes etc. He made the lens out of all those things and seemingly wants to filter his opinions/any video subject through it. I see why he would do it, it’s nice to always have a concept, cause if he just “became himself” on his channel, there’s essentially no concept of Daniel Howell out there (and creating a new one is scary and bothersome?). Unfortunately, not only did he exhaust this before in 2013-2015, but even if he wanted to talk about some other more real, grown up subjects now, he is limited greatly by this very specific filter, which he stubbornly chooses to stick with.
jesuisunèléve
phabergé

droopy wrote:

Is he really in a glass closet? I've seen people on here use this term a lot for deppy, and maybe I'm misunderstanding what people mean when they use it, so sorry if I am, but to me Dan isn't in any sort of closet when it comes to his sexuality. When I hear "glass closet," it makes me think that the person in the closet is trying to hide something and doing a terrible job. But I don't think Dan is trying to hide anything, as far as his sexuality goes. He just hasn't done a "formal" coming out to his audience, which doesn't necessarily mean he's closeted. This isn't meant to target you, your comment just happened to be the one that got me thinking!
The Babadook doesn't even scare me anymore. I mean, just look at him in his snazzy hat,
chilling with his lgbt bros, that toothy, self-accepting smile...

IMHO, a coming out video would be a branding hell hole because there would be this expectation of him to brand full on as an out gay man. I don't think he wants to be pigeonholed that way, and I don't think he wants to limit his audience as well. He would be seen as Gay You Tuber, instead of a You Tuber who Happens to be Gay. His audience would change, some would feel alienated, some would find him irrelevant, etc. He has given us enough clues to figure him out (he's in a relationship with Phil, fight me :D ) and beyond that, what more does he need to say? He doesn't need to label himself to be comfortable with who he is, and I really, really wish some folks can just accept him for Daniel Howell.

He's Daniel Howell, Emotional Train Wreck, in my mind, and he's been silently telling everyone he's pretty much Philsexual than anything else . If I stop listening to what he says and watch what he does, that's what I come up with. When I watched the video I didn't care if he was texting a male or a female, I was more in tune with his replies coming off like lyrics from The Smiths.

(I could be wrong-Dan could have a wife and three kids, and Phil could have a harem up in Wales).

Oh, and for those commenting on the last thread about Dan looking like he was nursing black eyes? Several comments on that:
1. It's hayfever season. I wake up puffy AF and clearly look like I was in a barfight with a hooker (and lost).
2. If he had been sleeping for a while, oxygenated blood pools beneath your eyes and give you that black eye look
3. Same with a lack of sleep, which can cause the blood vessels under the skin to dilate.

I realize if we let Daniel be Daniel, we wouldn't be here (well, save for his wardrobe choices) and we wouldn't have anything to discuss (well, save for his wardrobe choices). As for his content, eventually he will give himself a break, I think that comes with age. He will come to that time in his life where he quits giving AF about what anyone says about him, and he will reach that oasis that Phil already lives in about being who he is without any apologies.
LtrllySusan
lava lamp

So... many... pages :o

I think everything has been said already, and I agree that without making an actual "Coming Out" video which would certainly have a heavy branding impact, this is the most open way to deal with sexuality. So I wouldn't say he's in a glass closet either - just because he hasn't said the magical words on camera doesn't mean he can't be out. I really like the way he is handling this; not letting his sexuality become the defining Dan Howell characteristic.

Anyways, something that hasn't been discussed (and something I am interested in) is the logistics of filming this video. I don't think he sat in front of a camera for 5 hours waiting for strangers to text back. The screenshots show that the conversations happened quite a few days ago so I think he rather spent an evening texting with strangers while Phil is sitting next to him and giving him more silly ideas and then "reacted"/re-reacted to it on camera. While that makes it a little bit fake it's nothing new to the D&P world (WOW this glowing unicorn is amazing and I definitely haven't seen it before next to the camera). Louise's text pranking video with Marcus comes to mind which was definitely a live reaction but also more chaotic and giggly and less structured which makes for less options to joke with the editing.

Enough of that ramble, wanted to say to everyone and their great and elaborate arguments.
felucca
truth bomb

Lovely thread recap dizzy

I'm on team loved the new video. I was a bit worried before watching it because lately I've been feeling weary of his self-deprecation. Not because I dislike self-deprecating humour (I love it!) but because Dan's been running in the same spot with it for a while, repeating the same old things over and over again until I felt it became tiresome.

Turns out I needen't have been worried. I really felt he went the extra mile with this video and put a new spin on the self-deprecation, keeping it both real and hilarious. Loved all the super extra "pickup lines". Overall I think the video came together very neatly and was well-balanced in a way I've missed from him. I first got into Dan because his videos were so well put-together, much more so than other similar youtubers, but with the tour and his creative crisis and everything his videos have been kind of lacking in that respect for a while now imo, so it was nice to see him actually pull off this entire concept and execute it well from start to finish, well done!

If I were Tinder I'd be very pleased with this promotion because it made the people you can meet through the app seem both funny and kind.
captainspacecoat wrote:I loved the video! I was tentative about it at first, but it exceeded all my expectations. I infinitely preferred it to his last vid, which I personally found to be nonsensical, poorly thought out and pointless. This one, however, was entertaining to watch, well-paced (I actually thought it was the perfect length), and genuinely a good advertisement for Tinder in terms of utilising the app and demonstrating how to use it.
Yes, yes, all of this. :thumb:
eevee wrote:Dan is out now. Dan was not out before. And I’m extremely happy about it.
Literally found a comment on Dan's video saying he only chatted with both genders to increase his chances of funny answers and guys are funnier than girls so that's why they were overrepresented, cheers.

On the other hand I have NEVER BEFORE seen so many men in the comments hitting on Dan and casually saying nice things about him and his looks and his sense of humour (and asking him to use Grindr instead, lmao). I've noticed a lot more of these kind of comments directed to Dan in the past few months, but this video cranked the numbers up 1000%. A bunch of the guys seemed completely new to his channel as well and must have found him through this video.

Other comment tendencies: I was surprised to find almost no comments joking about how Dan shouldn't date around because he's already with Phil. When I first started following Deppy closely in 2014 there used to be TONS of those comments, the phandom took every chance they got to make them, and they always got lots of likes and answers. This time I saw but two or three comments about phan in total and people mostly ignored them. Also, as usual a lot of people asked if he was bi, but while a comment like that in 2014 would get lots and lots of likes and start a huuuge comment chain with quotes and references to everything from old Formspring answers to the vday vid and people arguing he's straight, no gay, no bi, no pan... now people just went "idk but i don't think he likes labels" and "he doesn't like labels" and left it at that. Dan's really made an impact with that roast yourself challenge!

(Yes I scrolled the comment section for ages. Like literally an hour of reading comments. I find it really interesting how viewer perspective and viewer interaction changes over time, depending on what we're given.)
eevee wrote:kuensukki I'm not saying don't share your negative opinions, I'm more saying why continue to watch Dan if all the content disappoints you? And I'm seriously wondering what people want from him if this isn't it. It wasn't a rhetorical question. I invite everyone to answer it, I would love to know.
Challenge accepted.

I've been genrally dissatisfied and disappointed with Dan's content for a long time now. Just not enough to want to leave. Actually I've got plenty of reasons to keep up with him still:
1. I know he can do better.
2. He's been working through some stuff and been pretty clear about that, saying in liveshows he's having a creative crisis, doesn't know what videos to make, feeling uninspired... I can respect that and relate.
3. The tour. It didn't really come as a surprise to me that his quality of content might drop when he had something big like touring the world to deal with at the same time. No reason for me to up and leave while that was going on - that would be not giving him a chance to find his footing again after the tour, which I think is what he's doing now.
4. Attachment. Dan and Phil are like old friends or family members to me - we might have grown apart a bit, but I still like to keep up with them.
5. This damn forum. How could I NOT want to constantly check back here and complain bitterly about how I'm not really feeling D&P anymore?
6. Bottom line: I like Dan. And I feel like he's always putting out something that's worth my while. Sometimes it's main channel videos. But other times it's his liveshows, or gaming videos, or something completely different. At the end of the day, his main channel isn't the only draw. If I disliked everything he made or disliked him as a person I might leave, but that's never been the case.

Hooray, I made a long post, I care enough again!
dat veniam corvis, vexat censura columbas

:dh:
coffeepenguin
rainbow nerd

Aww, the thread moved so fast I couldn’t vote on the name this time, damn you Daniel, this is all your fault for uploading a video that everyone wants to discuss

So, the video. Still would’ve preferred an ISG (just saying), but it was much less cringe than I anticipated and I agree that Dan did a good job explaining how the app works. As someone who uses tinder (and doesn’t have any success on it, seriously, I spent a whole day trying to take that selfie, Dan should be very happy with the response he got), I also liked the message about people being out there who will appreciate your personality, not your looks. That said, I’m not a fan of the way he reads and comments on his interactions, Phil does it much better, imo, it went a little too fast with Dan, I think it would’ve been better it there was less people featured, but he spent a little more time on each one of them (without giving the details of their profiles, obviously). I don’t really want to comment on the humor of the I-Want-Death variety, it’s not my cup of tea personally, but I understand how it can be appealing and I don’t have any reason to doubt Dan’s authenticity when he’s talking about his low moments, having a privileged life isn’t a cure for mental health issues, it can even make them worse in some cases because you feel like you “don’t deserve it” or whatever (also, about Dan feeling much happier in recent years, I feel like in 2015 there was a huge breakthrough directly related to Deppy’s decision to come forward with the joint branding, the book and the tour and stop presenting their relationship as one of a mere convenience, but Dan’s still fundamentally the same person, so this euphoria passed and maybe nothing has really changed, but he’s trying to adjust, remember Dan talked about how 2017 should be all about life things)

Re: sexuality, I appreciate the inclusion of the male matches and the very matter of fact way Dan treated it. Now let’s see what he’ll say in his liveshow next week (and if Phil mentions anything, that’ll be interesting), but honestly, I’m very pleasantly surprised and happy about it, whatever the motives are. I agree that sexuality doesn’t need to be a big deal, I try not to make a big deal of mine, but – personal story alert – I come from a country where it’s now basically illegal to be gay in public, so when people in uni here in France asked me a couple of years ago if I liked girls or boys, I legit cried, spilled coffee all over myself and didn’t know how to react (I was 25 at the time, mind you). Accepting your sexuality can be a long journey and normalizing queer identities is very important, so I’m very grateful to Dan for doing it the way he does, even if he himself doesn’t want to become an icon or a symbol for something.

Final remark, as I’ve just rewatched the video the second time to make this post, I noticed that all the matches shown were from the July 8th, so Dan's procrastinated for a bit before he started editing (if he didn't have any other urgent things to do, of course, idk).

edit : thank you very much felucca for doing god's work and reading through youtube comments it's very interesting what it reflects
Dan wants to be understood. Phil just wants to make the viewer smile and sell some backpacks (c) fancybum
Aeryth
squish

unfortunately, I don't have time to read everything that's been said about the new vid by now (but I'll definitely will a little later), just came over to say that I absolutely loved it, watched it again first thing in the morning and it didn't let me go even when in my sleep
I was dreaming about Fantastic Foursome and some other guys filming a collab. I remember vividly that Dan and Chris were doing a sketch where they went out on a date together. all these Anthony and Danthony and Dan's vids are doing funny things to my brain
one of the things that appeared on my twitter tl today was an assumption from the person who's not really invested into Deppy and all the theories that this vid was a lowkey coming out. I think that's worth noting. another girl suggested that he simply didn't care and think about it too much, just wrote to every single person who matched with him. but knowing him (from what he shows us), I tend to disagree. being Dan :) he obviously had given a lot of consideration to it

I see this vid as a great contribution to the golden era we're living in, I'm not waiting for any clear announcement from Dan anymore and tbh I don't need one. I'm glad that he's comfortable with finally sharing it with us. and I like that it's lowkey. it doesn't feel like a big deal, but at the same time, the "secret" is out. that's my best attempt to put what I think into words

sorry if I just repeat what somebody already said :)
felucca
truth bomb

Aww.
dat veniam corvis, vexat censura columbas

:dh:
SquishPhan
capita£ester

felucca wrote: Aww.
Very cute.
I too ugly cry while watching situations like this.

Also nice thread recap at the beginning alittledizzy.
neetbuzzer
delia smith
Pronouns: he/him/tired

reading through everything I'm just really struck by how well the "set the tone" option worked for dan. he was nonchalant about the dudes in the vid, and in turn the comments, etc. were apparently p chill as well (seconding that felucca is doing the lord's work by reading them! haha )

I'm also & @ all the dudes vying for 3st place in the comment section! I know the demographics skew female for dan but I wonder if there will be a bit of a shift, now? there are dozens of us.gif

it's a marked (and delightful! yay) contrast to the dark days of . I mean I'm not saying that it's solely due to him not being all squirrelly this time around (also not saying he didn't have ample reason to Freak The Fuck Out, Y'all bc as many MANY people on here have attested, sexuality: how the fuck does it work? etc.) buuuuuut I am saying that sometimes setting an implicit example for how you want the tone around your content to be can REALLY pay off,* and I think it did here. I've seen examples of it irl too, when people have come out. it's fascinating tbh

over and newly out

*what even is grammar lmao
ImageImage
no one would talk to you on fur affinity
malday
emo goose

felucca wrote:
Other comment tendencies: I was surprised to find almost no comments joking about how Dan shouldn't date around because he's already with Phil. When I first started following Deppy closely in 2014 there used to be TONS of those comments, the phandom took every chance they got to make them, and they always got lots of likes and answers. This time I saw but two or three comments about phan in total and people mostly ignored them. Also, as usual a lot of people asked if he was bi, but while a comment like that in 2014 would get lots and lots of likes and start a huuuge comment chain with quotes and references to everything from old Formspring answers to the vday vid and people arguing he's straight, no gay, no bi, no pan... now people just went "idk but i don't think he likes labels" and "he doesn't like labels" and left it at that. Dan's really made an impact with that roast yourself challenge!
I saw a few "what about Phil" comments at the beginning and there was someone replying with "why do you think Dan tried to get rejected by everyone? Because he has Phil" and a top comment saying "stop mentioning Phil!!1". But the comments turnover too fast in the begining and people didn't have a chance to upvote them and reply.

I read lots of replies by people saying he added men and women so he could make the video, that it wasn't his choice and he did it just so he doesn't discriminate anybody.

Now there is a comment from Louise, aww.

I find it weird that the video isn't trending (yet), when Phil's trended.
sparkle
blobfish

I made an entire articulate post, coughed, accidentally screen shotted in and then somehow loaded up apple.com so I lost everything I'd typed all with one wrong swallow of some Coke Zero. Fml.

Basically - love the thread name (would have loved it to be Danyul and Phil too just in case Dan was lurking)

I'm still really happy with the video, the more I think about it the happier I am. My one requirement with D&P is that they make me laugh, anything else is a bonus. This video made my heart happy. I've already watched it again and It'll probably get a third later today.

Also can someone please ask Phil if he'd date Dan based on this video because I'm curious

Incoming ramble - unless I sneeze (yay allergies, gotta love a day with hay fever AND dermatographia) and load up fucking Netflix or something
I loved this video so much, and the biggest overwhelming feeling I have is of how far Dan has come in terms of what he is okay with sharing or even implying. Like this is like comparing 2009 Dan (attention seeking/being quite explicit sexually even if it was fake) with 2012 Dan (fyi I like vagina, I'm not gay, customer service department). Except he is neither of those things anymore, he isn't denying anything, he isn't drawing attention to anything, he's just being. He's being a lot more like Phil (who could work for MI5 or something) who has a very tight control on what he puts out, except Dan is more comfortable putting this side of him out there. I'm happy, it feels like he's just living his life and giving us enough subtext join the dots without having to make it a big deal. This feels very chill and I like it, it feels like he's keeping the part of him that is potentially bothered offline which is healthier than what he did before.
Conspiracy theory time - Phil tweeted that picture of the cocktail out of context to see if we could work out where it was from. We did, so that informed the editing of Dans video, where there are little to no hints of location even within their apartment. Maybe Dan was anxious he'd put in too much identifying information, so Phil tweeted something very cryptic in order for Dan to have an up-to-date benchmark to edit against. Which is why we didn't see anything we haven't seen before, the fridge shot is literally just a fridge, and the mention is 'London' not a specific borough like Islington or Camden. Which would narrow down the search for them SIGNIFICANTLY. (like even before I accidentally found out their old address a few weeks ago, I knew I'd been lost on their street because of photos out of the window)
:sparkle: dan howell gives me life :sparkle:
don't waste your time
or time will waste you
:sparkle:
LtrllySusan
lava lamp

After watching the video a second time and thinking about it some more, I do believe putting the names in was a very deliberate choice, for two reasons.

Firstly, I would generally expect names in this kind of context to be censored, since you are basically share a stranger's messages publicly without their consent. Of course, Tinder only shows first names but even then, some of the names in the video do stand out. The video doesn't gain any actual value from having the names in there.

My second reason might be pretty far fetched so I'd love to hear some opinions from you guys who have been around much longer than me. A few months ago, Dan privated one of his old videos (Was it 'Truth or Dare'?), the one with the gay chicken skit. I don't know how long ahead collabs are planned since there's probably a lot of back and forth with scripts and approvals and revisions (think of the Rejects 2 script) which might take some time. So, maybe there is a connection between the vid being privated and the Tinder collab being published?

With everything that has happened in the past and how the phandom generally is, Dan must be spending a lot of his video planning/making time on just thinking about possible reactions and how every detail will be analysed. Having a public video where he calls on gay people to be arrested - jokingly, obviously, but also assuming it's ok to publish such a joke - and one where he obviously 'flirts' with males would create a contradiction.

What do you think? Of course, there might not be any direct connection but as people have said, things are clearly different in the post-baking universe.
teamug
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

so... Dan got paid to intentionally flirt badly with men and women. I want that job. Tinder has had quite a few spons with ytubers lately, and Tomska (in a vlog i believe) mentioned that the scripts needed approval (which he didn't get). So the gender inclusive flirting was planned for by Dan and approved by Tinder.
I am happy for Dan, glad that he feels comfortable to be himself, flirting with who he wants to flirt with.
captainspacecoat
stress mushroom

LtrllySusan wrote:
What do you think? Of course, there might not be any direct connection but as people have said, things are clearly different in the post-baking universe.
I personally doubt his privating of that video is connected to the Tinder spon, as it was so long ago that I find it unlikely Tinder would have found it relevant. Plus, I don't think Tinder would particularly care, they're probably looking closer at the number of subscribers Dan and Phil have rather than any minute details in videos from years ago.

However, I do think it's very possible that the 'gay chicken' moment may have contributed to his reasoning behind privating it. I mean, it may mostly be because he found the video as a whole to be cringeworthy/not up to standard, but given that he's left up a lot of other poor quality videos as well as several other Truth or Dare videos (I think? Or did he delete them all? Can't be assed to check) you may well be right that he now thinks of that particular moment as being in poor taste.

Also awwww @ Phil's tweet, I love that he's the sort of person to get emotional at things like that (Dan is too, lbr). I cry at literally anything and everything, so I always feel very fondly about others who are the same :')
Birdie
blobfish
Pronouns: they/them

Someone asked how the phandom on Tumblr and Twitter reacted like a thousand pages back so I just went in the Tumblr tag (send help) and had a look around: Something I noticed in the aftermath of the video is people assuming it means he’s gay and that bothers me a lot. It’s 2017, do people really not know that straight and gay are not the only sexualities? Or are they using gay as an umbrella term? (I mean, I don’t like that either but it would be better than people assuming male attraction has to mean someone’s gay.) Another thing I’ve noticed is a lot of online screeching about “Oh my god, he likes men!” like he’s never before talked about his attraction to men, so I think there are quite a few people who thought the previous male attraction mentions might have been jokes but the ones in the video were for real.

I’m actually really glad most people accept that he doesn’t want a label. Like, Dan’s not bi or pan or anything as long as he sticks with not wanting to label his sexuality, that’s the whole point of it. But he’s made it very clear he’s not straight either and I think that’s all he’ll say on the matter. Anyways, I’m really looking forward to his next live show. I doubt he’ll explain anything regarding his sexuality and he’ll probably dodge all comments and questions in true elusive Dan fashion but I’m still kind of excited to see what he’ll say about the video in general. As far as I can tell it got a mostly positive response which hasn’t happen with a main channel video in ages.

Sexuality discussion: I also agree that sexuality doesn’t need to be a big deal but I also think it’s an important part of who we are. It probably depends on the person how important your sexuality is to you though. So I agree, it doesn’t have to be a big deal. But I totally understand why people, especially lgbtq people, want to talk about their experiences. And since we live in a world in which discrimination is still pretty prevalent, online spaces like this one where people can share their stories and their excitement about a favourite celeb representing them are very important and I hate when people try to silence that or even want to take it away all together (no one on here did that of course but it’s a common thing to happen on message boards).

I mean, of course Dan is a complex person and not defined by whether he’s lgbtq or not. But being excited about him being this comfortable with his sexuality after all this time doesn’t equate to reducing him to it, I think. The thing is I’ve been watching Dan for years now. I started watching in early 2013 or something, when he was very much trying to appear straight. So seeing how far he’s come and how comfortable he is now is just really nice, so I was super excited when the diss track came out and I was excited last night. Not really because “omg, Dan isn’t straight, I hope he becomes The Non-Straight Youtuber now and never talks about anything else again” but more because I’m happy he’s comfortable enough to do this kind of thing now. Let’s be honest, this time last year he wouldn’t have made this video. He wasn’t quite there yet. He is now and that’s awesome. (Also it just makes my little queer heart very happy how casually he approached the topic. I'm making a big deal out of him not making a big deal. :D But I can't help it, I love that.)

This is me trying to write a short post by the way. Why do I even try?
onetruetrash
blobfish

captainspacecoat wrote:
LtrllySusan wrote:
I personally doubt his privating of that video is connected to the Tinder spon, as it was so long ago that I find it unlikely Tinder would have found it relevant. Plus, I don't think Tinder would particularly care, they're probably looking closer at the number of subscribers Dan and Phil have rather than any minute details in videos from years ago.

However, I do think it's very possible that the 'gay chicken' moment may have contributed to his reasoning behind privating it. I mean, it may mostly be because he found the video as a whole to be cringeworthy/not up to standard, but given that he's left up a lot of other poor quality videos as well as several other Truth or Dare videos (I think? Or did he delete them all? Can't be assed to check) you may well be right that he now thinks of that particular moment as being in poor taste.
Unless something changed since the last time I checked, the video isn't privated, it's unlisted. And he literally gave the reason why in the description lol he said it was unlisted because of problematic humor.
000dia000
emo goose

Grey wrote:
000dia000: It never occurred to me while watching that he was making fun of gay relationships? How? He didn't make a big deal out of the person's gender he was responding to. One of them I don't even know their gender because they had a name from another culture that I don't know the associated gender. It could be a guy. But it didn't matter to the point of the video. So I don't see how he was making gay relationships the punchline of the joke at all. The men seemed to be just casually there.
I'm sorry, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, but this is definitely not what I said.
:cactus: