Dan & Phil Part 50: Should we kiss now?

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual
Pronouns: she/her

Susannah wrote:
LeftHandedism wrote:Re the mysterious merch: the picture (tweet?) seems to have disappeared. Could someone describe what the item is (or relink)?
Thanks! I agree it's cool but the writing is at best unnecessary.

EDIT: I don't usually complain about being at the top of the page, but this was truly banal.
Last edited by lefthandedism on Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
"If you're left-handed, ask a friend."
"Why am I left-handed?"
"Everybody makes mistakes."
iwishiwasacasual
glabella

fancybum wrote:
fondsmiles wrote:
fancybum wrote:
iwishiwasacasual wrote:
what i really wanted to ask you all about all of this is, would you be okay with it?

i mean i'm sure your gut reaction is to say 'yes, i want this more than i currently want oxygen'. but really think about whether you'd be okay with dnp all but confirming their relationship in a documentary you have to pay for. when tatinof and the story of tatinof came out i think their was some discussion about whether it would ethical for them to essentially come out in a video you have to pay for and i was just wondering what is your take on it now?
I personally think they wouldn't be into it because it amounts to literally selling their relationship, and they've always seemed to value a certain level of privacy over money. But as to whether it would be ethical? I know a lot of people weren't impressed with Joey Graceffa coming out in his book and with a music video and all of that because it was all so commercialized or whatever. But it's also his life and he can make money with it in whatever way he wants. If people are interested in something (for whatever reasons) and you can use that to improve your own life in some way (even if other people just perceive it as hardcore selling out), who can really say if it's ethical or not? (Well, clearly lots of people, but that doesn't necessarily make them correct). Self-exploitation in a system built to work against you can be ~empowering (sorry, I can't always take that word seriously), but there will always be backlash to consider. Depending on the person, the backlash, and from within your own community, not even just from outside of it, along with any loss of perceived integrity, will be worth the gain (financial or otherwise). I don't think D&P are people that would value the gain over the backlash (if their joint """coming out'"" was done behind an intentional paywall), especially with all Dan's talk of self-acceptance and being your true self to be happy etc etc., like I don't think he would ever add 'and to get a hefty payday' at the end of any of that. So I don't think it's because coming out for pay in some way is inherently unethical that D&P wouldn't do it, just that it's not their particular style as people. If any of that made sense.
this is an interesting question, iwishiwascasual, and fancybum, you raised some really good points.

I can see that they might not want to first share their relationship in a way where people have to pay for it. and yes, they are probably aware that it would cause backlash and that's not something you specifically seek out.

But, I can also see why it would be something someone would choose.
For deppy, their relationship has been discussed probably since before they met, over and over again. There's speculation everywhere, we on here have threads and compilations and screenshots too, and it comes up again and again in the main thread, and everyone has their assumptions and interpretations.

With a background like that, maybe if you decided you wanted to share a relationship, you would want to do it in a way that does it justice. Meaning, you would want to carefully choose what to show, maybe you would want to explain how everything came about and share the entire journey to make everyone understand why you did things the way you did.

Because, imagine this: They might have been together since 2009, and they told that now, just randomly in a video or whatever way you can think of. There would be backlash too, a lot of it, probably. "You have lied to us" "but what about 2012" "you said [grandma comparison]", people would dig it all up and accuse them of things. Maybe, if you had decided you wanted to share that, you would also like to tell it piece by piece so maybe more people understand why you're only sharing now.

Or maybe, it would just feel like such an important thing after so long that you want to display it in a high quality and beautiful way, because you're excited to share it properly.

Those are just some reasons I could imagine why someone would want to do a bigger production than a simple YouTube video.

And why shouldn't that be paid? There goes a lot of work into such a thing; of course there needs to be something that comes out at the end of it for those who created it. And, they get paid for YouTube videos too, it's just not our specific decision to give them money and you can watch it even without paying.

I just want to provide justification for deciding to share big things like this in a way where people have to pay. You might want it to be yours only, you might want to do it properly, and of course you'll need your efforts to be weighed up.

And I don't think they have an obligation to make their relationship the easiest thing accessible, even if they choose to share it. A fandom still doesn't have the "right" to have free and open access to it; that's not something you can expect from a creator, in my opinion.
Especially since the information will obviously be shared in the fandom and they would probably address it on their own if it was prefaced by a big coming out event. You got the info, if you want the high quality stuff that a lot of work went into, you'll have to pay for that high quality stuff.

All of that being said, I don't think that's a thing deppy would do, because fancybum really pointed out great reasons why they probably wouldn't want to. I just personally find it justifiable if they would want to after all.
I agree with and appreciate all of this in the abstract sense, in a hypothetical scenario where they did decide one day, for whatever reason, they wanted to 'share' their relationship (and its history) in full with their audience. Like yeah, get that production value/cash if it's something they feel that strongly about. But I just never see that day becoming a reality (which I know you weren't saying! I don't know why I want to disagree with a hypothetical, but I just want to). Even if we get to the point where it is Known they're together (either through intentional or unintentional inarguable confirmation), I really can't see them wanting to, or feeling the need to, explain themselves or anything they had done up to that point. They're just so private, if they actually did that one day, I would have to start believing in the Mandela effect because we would have had to travel to a parallel universe to another Dan & Phil that wanted to willingly invite millions of strangers into their personal romantic relationship and all of its details. I mean I'd be first in line for that train, but it's just not happening omg now I'm just thinking about Fringe and Alternate Dan/Phil. Phauxl has a non-died fringe and Danielternate runs a clothing line. This got off-track.. Anyway it's definitely interesting to think about though!
I thought people starting calling specifically shippers 'phannies' (as an insult..? because of how the word sounds to Brit ears..?) but they just embraced it because it was funny and it's just become a thing now? I don't know, that's one ill-informed idea.
obviously very high on the list of things that are never going to happen but its still fun to think about the lives of danielternate and phauxl (that really made me giggle and i'm not sure why). and i don't know why but even though i completely understand what you're saying fondsmiles (and part of me even agrees) there's just something about the idea of them charging for something like that that just feels so wrong to me, i can't really explain it but
droopy
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

LeftHandedism wrote:
Susannah wrote:
LeftHandedism wrote:Re the mysterious merch: the picture (tweet?) seems to have disappeared. Could someone describe what the item is (or relink)?
Thanks! I agree it's cool but the writing is at best unnecessary.

EDIT: I don't usually complain about being at the top of the top of the page, but this was truly banal.
I'm not normally into dark aesthetics, but that bag is gorgeous. It would also be a great excuse to buy some of those patches that have been sitting in my Etsy favorites list for a while. Honestly, I like the way the small white lettering looks, but a word or phrase in English would have sufficed. Something star or space related, maybe. I guess it's kind of pointless to bring up seeing as the bags are out of the design phase; just saying, there were other options.

Also, I'm sorry to hear what happened, RachelPhan, and I hope you're feeling better. I had also forgotten how policing the phandom can get outside of this little forum. (I hope that doesn't sound elitist, I just really like and appreciate this place, okay?)
BuffyFiona
sofa crease

Loafer wrote: Popping in to say that I think the term originated in the Larry fandom. Larry shippers adopted the name Larries, and there were like varying degrees, so Chill Larrie to Dark Larrie and up to Demon Larrie, depending on how much you shipped them/believed they were together. Demon and Dark started of course as insults but the shippers adopted the name anyway. (For those confused, Larry is the ship name for One Direction band mates Harry Styles and Louis Tomlinson and the fandom is a true disaster zone, please stay safe in deppy land ) so that's where Demon comes from I'm P sure, and Phannie maybe derived because it sounded closer to Demon Larrie than say, demon Phans or something? Also it just sounds funny. Interesting how fandom things like that never stay within the originating fandom, like how "smol" originated in the Johnlock fandom.
Oh my god, thank you SO MUCH!!!! This makes so much sense, and I totally never would have found this out because I've never even looked into the 1D fandom at all, but it seems like there's a lot of exchange and overlap between the phandom and 1Ders, though I'm not really in that demographic (though I totally get it, when I was a tween/teen I spent a lot of time obsessing over the Beatles, Kinks, Clash, Hollies, Herman's Hermits, etc. etc. so I do get the appeal of cute young British boy bands lol). Yeah it's cool how fandoms are all connected because people who participate in fandom are very likely to move between different ones.
pastelspectre
stress mushroom
Pronouns: he/him

hello my deppy friends i am back and alive and am back from spending about a week with my best friend (and am now sad i had to leave sigh)

just wanted to say that backpack looks gorgeous, i am screaming over the wimbledon (thats how its spelled right?) selfies, the collab that phil did with anthony and dan is amazing and i cackled so many times at that video and im just happy to be caught up now. it took me an hour to get caught up with the pages
:transheart:
onetruetrash
blobfish

http://snokoplasm.com/5-worryingly-conv ... -theories/

This isn't really relevant to the conversation, but I found this article and I thought it was really interesting. I've actually never heard of the phillester391 thing before.
Moonbeamsonthepath
living flop
Pronouns: she

onetruetrash wrote:http://snokoplasm.com/5-worryingly-conv ... -theories/

This isn't really relevant to the conversation, but I found this article and I thought it was really interesting. I've actually never heard of the phillester391 thing before.
I love that article!

1. is probably true
I think I saw someone debunk 2. somewhere-apparently Tabitha is a real Sims character. But I wish it was true!
3. is really interesting, but if Phil really wanted to have a secret side account, why would he have named it phillester?
I like to think that the question in 4. was relationship-related.
onetruetrash
blobfish

Moonbeamsonthepath wrote:

I love that article!

1. is probably true
I think I saw someone debunk 2. somewhere-apparently Tabitha is a real Sims character. But I wish it was true!
3. is really interesting, but if Phil really wanted to have a secret side account, why would he have named it phillester?
I assume 1 is true because people have said before that Dan does that. Does anyone have any other examples?
blu
squish

apparently the black glitter backpack (as well as a sky blue version) is on danandphilshop.com, though only on the u.s. shop for some reason.

https://us.danandphilshop.com/collectio ... ck-glitter

https://us.danandphilshop.com/collectio ... -blue-marl

also the pastel poster (this is new right???)

https://us.danandphilshop.com/collectio ... tic-poster
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

blu wrote:apparently the black glitter backpack (as well as a sky blue version) is on danandphilshop.com, though only on the u.s. shop for some reason.

Whoa, you're right. That's so weird.
droopy

alittledizzy wrote:
blu wrote:apparently the black glitter backpack (as well as a sky blue version) is on danandphilshop.com, though only on the u.s. shop for some reason.

The plot thickens.

Didn't IRL Store send RachelPhan a DM though? I assumed it had to do with the merch being currently unreleased, or did I misunderstand and it was more along the lines of, "Sorry we got your order wrong"? Also, weird that it's been put on the site without an official announcement from D&P.

Either way, both bag designs are really nice and now I'm torn on which one I'm going to hypothetically buy with my hypothetical money.
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

I went to bed early so missed what happened after the initial tweet about the black backpack. I saw tweets this morning about the blue one and the pastel poster and guessed the site had just been updated with them quickly to make it official The shop has replied to me fast enough when I emailed them a few times btw, they're not so bad. I like the design, though it's plainer than the colourful ones that's also part of its appeal.

Phil's angry DMs are so polite and friendly, I wonder how he puts things if the initial nice one isn't listened to.

Interesting discussion about his business savvy and comparisons to Dan. I'd agree, though also there'll have been management involved. Phil said he used to travel from Manchester each week (?) for meetings and for all the big youtubers it sounded like the new talent agents got in there fast noticing them and snapping them up as they created their new agencies. Though Phil, and perhaps his parents at the time, will have needed to know what they were getting into letting someone come in on the business side. Heck, they'd have needed that without an agent's help too, hence the benefit of an agent, of course. Don't mind me going round in a small circle here

Really interesting mention of other youtubers commenting that Phil holds Dan back. That's an awful thought and really, they've both mentioned Phil pushing Dan to do things, he encouraged him at the start, told him to make that Dan-quizzes video even to be on camera at the start like his dad making him doing it, that may have been part of the joke especially when he's still in earshot and Dan tells him to f off. I don't know, seems the opposite to me unless they really know something we don't.
blu
squish

droopy wrote:
alittledizzy wrote:

The plot thickens.

Didn't IRL Store send RachelPhan a DM though? I assumed it had to do with the merch being currently unreleased, or did I misunderstand and it was more along the lines of, "Sorry we got your order wrong"? Also, weird that it's been put on the site without an official announcement from D&P.

Either way, both bag designs are really nice and now I'm torn on which one I'm going to hypothetically buy with my hypothetical money.
oh btw if anyone wanted to know, the bags and poster were under "new" and at the end of the first page. so, i'm assuming they usually put merch on the website before announcing, and then when they DO announce it they put it under "featured"
MaggieW
glabella

Yesss conspiracy theories
I never heard about the second one. You can change aspirations in sims 4? If so it would make sense since dil and tabitha had the same aspiration.

Oh, and about the merch, i love it! I want one of the backpacks but I can decide which one. The pastel blue one is gorgeous but the black one would fit more outfits...
LtrllySusan
lava lamp

onetruetrash wrote:
Moonbeamsonthepath wrote:

I love that article!

1. is probably true
I assume 1 is true because people have said before that Dan does that. Does anyone have any other examples?
I totally believe 1 (Dan making up chat questions) is true. Some LSs ago I ctrl+f'd keywords from the questions he seemed to read in chat (keywords instead of the exact phrasing in case he paraphrased) and I never found anything. I also searched for the conveniently average first names that seem to ask all these invisible questions and also didn't find anything. But honestly, who is surprised? Just look at the user names here, apart from those of us who represent the Susan™ brand there's barely any actual names on here - why would it be any different on YouNow? There's too many Toms and Stevens and Georges and not enough RanDoMpHaNtRaSh1910 asking questions.
danphilflipmypancake
smol bean

Hello friends. Been lurking for awhile to see what I missed in the year I didn't follow Deppy, slowly reading my way through the threads (Still on Part 15 I need to pick up the pace you people are fast).

Anyhoo, I love the new black glitter backpack minus the Japanese writing like a few of you other peeps so I looked up the brand they're partnered with and found the black glitter backpack without the Dan and Phil branding. Not sure if it's the exact one though it looks pretty damn close to me.

I found it on the US asos store in case anyone is interested. (Can't post a link because this is my first post but it's easy enough to google)

Okay back to reading. Take care guys.
kalli
butt chair

Can't dip and dot just design a logo or something for their merch? The main reason they're using the Japanese writing seems to be so people can rep them ~discreetly~ but a logo would do a much better job of that in my opinion
Kathrynxjane
janice from the shop
Pronouns: She/Her

droopy wrote:
alittledizzy wrote:

The plot thickens.

Well the Dm was more down the line of we need to look into it and don't panic because she was really upset about it. It must have been ready to come out soon if the backpacks were already packed and ready to ship.

At least my sister can stop worrying now about the phandom now. Thank you all for your kinds words last night they really helped. We didn't think it would get that big. You forget the phandom outside of our little bubble on here.

I must say seeing the backpack in rl. It looks like it could get dirty quickly as the glitter is really rough and I do not like the writing at all.

Off the go send the shop an email, hopefully getting the backpack we want and apologising for making them release it today
"You can't just pull it out and put it in without a plan." Dan Howell 2015
droopy

Kathrynxjane wrote:
droopy wrote:
alittledizzy wrote:

The plot thickens.

Well the Dm was more down the line of we need to look into it and don't panic because she was really upset about it. It must have been ready to come out soon if the backpacks were already packed and ready to ship.

At least my sister can stop worrying now about the phandom now. Thank you all for your kinds words last night they really helped. We didn't think it would get that big. You forget the phandom outside of our little bubble on here.

I must say seeing the backpack in rl. It looks like it could get dirty quickly as the glitter is really rough and I do not like the writing at all.

Off the go send the shop an email, hopefully getting the backpack we want and apologising for making them release it today
Ah, I see. Thanks for answering! Hope you get everything figured out, and I hope she's feeling better. (Also, I will be taking those notes on the backpack into consideration. )
somethingsketchy
janice from the shop

Yay, Phil reached 5 million Twitter followers today!
somethingsketchy
janice from the shop

Aaand here's Phil tweeting about it. (Sorry for double-posting, the tweet wasn't up yet when I made the previous post.)
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

So it looks like the backpacks actually got taken down off the site now. Weirdness all around, they must be scrambling behind the scenes.
chiccola
sofa crease

Tomska posted this Some of the replies are pretty funny, some are cringe as expected.

and my personal fave
obscureDnPreference
procrastinator
Pronouns: she/her/hers

chiccola wrote:Tomska posted this Some of the replies are pretty funny, some are cringe as expected.

and my personal fave
Dan looks SO OVER it in that photo. I can't wait for this sketch.
"This is not children's television. I'm 26, I'm depressed, and I need edgy jokes to cope with my anxiety."
Daniel Howell, 10/30/17
onetruetrash
blobfish