Dan & Phil Part 51: Master of Erotic Massages

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie
Pronouns: she/her

onetruetrash
blobfish

In regards to Katka's post, I'm a teen and I know about the whole emo era. I really started using the internet in 2012 and since the emo era really died in 2015, at least from my perspective, I didn't completely miss it, so I'm sure people my age didn't either. I'm not sure their 10-12 year old fans will completely get it though.
obscureDnPreference
procrastinator
Pronouns: she/her/hers

On the previous thread, we were talking about how some of the comments threw us off (being fired from your job, lose friends and family, etc for being emo) from an lgbtqa+ perspective. I commented that I was thrown off because that's a fact of life for out people in my state. I wasn't offended or anything, just felt off.

I think I was more reminded of how the world hates people that are different and I wasn't expecting that kind of reminder in the middle of a funny video, you know? I also work for a Senator and the last few days have been IN-FUCKING-SANE. So I think I was just tired and didn't really think about the joke.

I still loved the video, like I said in my first post afterward. It was a gift.
"This is not children's television. I'm 26, I'm depressed, and I need edgy jokes to cope with my anxiety."
Daniel Howell, 10/30/17
000dia000
emo goose

There's been a lot of subtle hints dropped by Dan and Phil, dragging Phil's "emo look" and how Phil is the last emo, still holding onto it in vain, etc. Does anybody else think they're dropping hints to prepare us for Phil's drastic hair and fashion makeover? Maybe "that week in March" was a failed haircut appointment.
:cactus:
jaej
moon room
Pronouns: he/they/idm

i thought the video, if it was making fun of anything other than them being cringey in the past, was making fun of the people who acted like they were genuinely oppressed for being emo, especially past about 2012. i got into that kind of thing in about 2009 i think, and by then the emo trinity had long since been considered way more mainstream and less of a subculture thing, especially by 2010 when danger days came out. as much as there were times when me and my friends were made fun of for wearing a lot of eyeliner and tartan jeans and creepers and got our share of physical violence and threats, we also basically outcasted ourselves with the "i'm so much better than all of these mainstream people, bet they dont even know who pete wentz is, all they care about is lady gaga and reality tv!!!" and the really weird thing is that that still happens.

"i just can't relate to the other people at school, i'm just different from them, like i like emo music like halsey and twenty one pilots... i watched yuri on ice once, like i just don't have anything in common with these people and their KARDASHIANS... wait what do you mean kim was in a fall out boy video??" the whole thing seems a bit odd when fall our boy are on a disney soundtrack and jeffrey star is a popular thing

i got into emo stuff as it was dying and scene culture was way bigger (but the uk was a couple years behind the us for that stuff imo) but it had some weird aspects with acceptance and intersectionality and things. was demonised at about 2005-2008 for encouraging self harm, but emo/scene culture did have massive issues with body issues, being very caucasian, fetishising bisexuality (lots of queer people enjoyed the welcoming community, myself included, but being hot (str8) emo boyz with tight jeans making out for likes was a thing). when people did make fun of people JUST for being in the subcultures, it could become horrific. had a lot of male friends being beat up at age about 14, and the jessi slaughter/blood on the dancefloor story shows how a CHILD into alternative culture could be treated so horribly even after a horrific thing - in and outside of the scene (not going to post it here, massive content warning for rape, pedophilia, basically most things, if you want to search for the story)
my name is jaejmine masters and i have something to say. dan and phil have fucked up japan :japhan:
phil lester threw the first brick at stonewall, we love a queer icon :biflag:
SneakyLizard
butt chair

A little late to the game today, had to wait to watch. I was pleasantly surprised! Didn't think I'd like this one as much as I did, but I laughed out loud at the "Black Parade" stair dash and the Myspace possession.

I agree with everyone who said that Phil's low-key participation really added a lot, and that it was just the right length. Good job, Dan

I want that silver mirror so much. Smashed my own big mirror last week :(

Those stairs... do you guys think they're basement/outside the actual apartment type stairs? Maybe it's just an attempt at industrial chic that wasn't quite right. The rest of the place looks so nice and the stairs look wrong in comparison. And the door by the mirror also looks unfinished/very basic. Puzzling, given the ceiling/window/pretty floor situation.
we walk among you
sparkle
blobfish

000dia000 wrote:There's been a lot of subtle hints dropped by Dan and Phil, dragging Phil's "emo look" and how Phil is the last emo, still holding onto it in vain, etc. Does anybody else think they're dropping hints to prepare us for Phil's drastic hair and fashion makeover? Maybe "that week in March" was a failed haircut appointment.
so this is an...

hang on I'm missing something

better. So this is an idea, maybe that week in March was brainstorming ideas for an AP rebrand? Or maybe a new joint channel? Could be possible that Phil is going to rebrand following another move? But his hair has come up SO MANY TIMES recently that I think we're bracing for impact. Still black, but maybe goodbye emo fringe?
:sparkle: dan howell gives me life :sparkle:
don't waste your time
or time will waste you
:sparkle:
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

Am I a bad person for seeing the gifs in the OP and thinking 'Bite the controller, I'm going in dry' while giggling to myself for a strong minute and a half? Or just incredibly childish?
cherrybomb3 wrote:also catallena (i think thats how your name is spelt too lazy to check properly) i slightly miss your tea drinking signature thing it was v clean and sophisticated
Ah yes, a truly iconic gif

I just wanted some change, but haven't decided yet whether I wanna keep this one for long or rotate several Nana gifs just for my own amusement. I have another tea sipping (less bitchy, more of a satisfied ~ah yes delicious tea~) gif of her that is begging to be used as a sig one day. I also have one of her slapping the hell out of someone's face but let's not get too aggressive for now.
000dia000 wrote:There's been a lot of subtle hints dropped by Dan and Phil, dragging Phil's "emo look" and how Phil is the last emo, still holding onto it in vain, etc. Does anybody else think they're dropping hints to prepare us for Phil's drastic hair and fashion makeover? Maybe "that week in March" was a failed haircut appointment.
It's when they told Fabrice they were gonna ditch him and he got so angry he started threatening them by sending them heads of horses and shit and that's why they moved into this flat even though their forever home is still being constructed :thumb:
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
Birdie
blobfish
Pronouns: they/them

I accept this as canon and I'll be disappointed if it's anything other than this.
SneakyLizard
butt chair

Catallena wrote: It's when they told Fabrice they were gonna ditch him and he got so angry he started threatening them by sending them heads of horses and shit and that's why they moved into this flat even though their forever home is still being constructed :thumb:
Not a bad theory, Fabrice has been far too clipper-happy of late. I like my Phils a bit overgrown and fluffy.
we walk among you
Afunnyworld
sofa crease

Does anyone know how it benefits Dan to upload his entire video to Facebook?
From what I could see, he didn't even link it to his channel. Does he think that it will get him that many more followers, who will go out of their way to search for him on youtube, that it is worth it getting over 100k unpaid views? I might have missed it but I couldn't even find a link to his youtube channel on his facebook page. I know that Facebook at some point a beta program that paid some creators, could he be part of that?
obscureDnPreference
procrastinator
Pronouns: she/her/hers

SneakyLizard wrote: Those stairs... do you guys think they're basement/outside the actual apartment type stairs? Maybe it's just an attempt at industrial chic that wasn't quite right. The rest of the place looks so nice and the stairs look wrong in comparison. And the door by the mirror also looks unfinished/very basic. Puzzling, given the ceiling/window/pretty floor situation.
The stairs are definitely inside their apartment. You can see the desk in the clip from the video and in this pic.
The glass looks good in this photo but the actual stairs from the video don't look as aesthetically pleasing as the rest of the apartment. I JUST WANT TO UNDERSTAND THIS APARTMENT.

EDIT: The glass railing of the stairs is obvious in that photo, but it the video it looks like something white is covering it? A white couch perhaps?
"This is not children's television. I'm 26, I'm depressed, and I need edgy jokes to cope with my anxiety."
Daniel Howell, 10/30/17
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

SneakyLizard wrote:
Catallena wrote: It's when they told Fabrice they were gonna ditch him and he got so angry he started threatening them by sending them heads of horses and shit and that's why they moved into this flat even though their forever home is still being constructed :thumb:
Not a bad theory, Fabrice has been far too clipper-happy of late. I like my Phils a bit overgrown and fluffy.
I'm IDB's resident Fabrice anti idk why he hates Phil but he keeps giving him awful haircuts and I need it to stop.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
Vanderlyle
spork

jaej wrote:
i got into emo stuff as it was dying and scene culture was way bigger (but the uk was a couple years behind the us for that stuff imo) but it had some weird aspects with acceptance and intersectionality and things. was demonised at about 2005-2008 for encouraging self harm, but emo/scene culture did have massive issues with body issues, being very caucasian, fetishising bisexuality (lots of queer people enjoyed the welcoming community, myself included, but being hot (str8) emo boyz with tight jeans making out for likes was a thing). when people did make fun of people JUST for being in the subcultures, it could become horrific. had a lot of male friends being beat up at age about 14, and the jessi slaughter/blood on the dancefloor story shows how a CHILD into alternative culture could be treated so horribly even after a horrific thing - in and outside of the scene (not going to post it here, massive content warning for rape, pedophilia, basically most things, if you want to search for the story)
yea i 100% had super scene/ emo friends who could not get jobs due to their hair/piercings/ style. my best friend had to move in with her grandparents bc her mom was super preppy and she was emo af.
also, i can't help but think that the people who are upset about this "making fun of lgbtq people" must not have lived through the early-aughts emo scene. the emo scene WAS the lgbtq community in many, many ways. the harassment that subculture endured was inseparable from lgbt harassment. the guys were always assumes to be gay or "girl", girls were harassed for being "bi sluts" etc, etc. Like - the negative assumptions/ harassment towards emo culture were rooted in sexuality.
biker dudes are a subculture too, but they aren't harassed largely due to the "macho man" connotations.

i don't mean to offend anyone,but you could apply that notion to almost any minority subculture or group about nearly all jokes or references. the harassment the emo subculture endured isn't less valid - bullying people for their sexuality/ things they can't change about themselves is indefensible no matter what

In other news, HERE for their apartment. it's totally my aesthetic
captainspacecoat
stress mushroom

That video didn't really do much for me personally, but I think that's probably because I somehow avoided ever having an emo/scene phase (although came very close, as my best friend did and I hung out with that group sometimes). I didn't not like the video, I'm just kind of 'eh' about it.

Vanderlyle very much agree with your post! Emo/scene kids were definitely bullied for not fitting in with the mainstream, and much of the disdain for them was rooted in their expression of gender and sexuality. I also agree with others who've said the whole video was tongue-in-cheek - they were very much taking the piss out of themselves and other ex-emos. They weren't actually trying to insinuate that emos are systemically oppressed like other minorities, or to genuinely compare their suffering to that of LGBT+ people currently, they were making fun of themselves and their teen years as emos. They were ridiculing the idea of 'emo' as 'victim' - the joke was that obviously emos are not exactly an oppressed minority, but that emo is now looked upon by most people as a pretty cringeworthy subculture (prompting them to exaggerate feelings of cringe and embarrassment when looking back on their pasts). I may be wrong, but that was my interpretation. Having said that though, it's perfectly valid I think to feel uncomfortable by the video

re: Phil liking that tweet - Good and Nice, and also I love Phil's sense of humour :')
Vanderlyle
spork

captainspacecoat wrote:
Vanderlyle very much agree with your post! Emo/scene kids were definitely bullied for not fitting in with the mainstream, and much of the disdain for them was rooted in their expression of gender and sexuality. I also agree with others who've said the whole video was tongue-in-cheek - they were very much taking the piss out of themselves and other ex-emos. They weren't actually trying to insinuate that emos are systemically oppressed like other minorities, or to genuinely compare their suffering to that of LGBT+ people currently, they were making fun of themselves and their teen years as emos. They were ridiculing the idea of 'emo' as 'victim' - the joke was that obviously emos are not exactly an oppressed minority, but that emo is now looked upon by most people as a pretty cringeworthy subculture (prompting them to exaggerate feelings of cringe and embarrassment when looking back on their pasts). I may be wrong, but that was my interpretation. Having said that though, it's perfectly valid I think to feel uncomfortable by the video
yes you said it better ha
100 points to your hogwarts house of choice
ArtyJim
glabella

i like dan's video and thought it was pretty funny even though i don't totally ~get some of references as i was never an emo and have always been an Ugly Nerd. i also don't get the 'oppressed emo' bit because growing up emo kids were the popular kids where i lived lol. but still funny to me and i love anthony. i really like all the collabs the three of them did together and how they all involved dragging each other. i like that they all felt comfortable with each other.

and now for an overly personal story i'll probably regret making
today was shit. a scary trip to the ER for my mother that resulted in a panic attack for me. and im not prone to panic attacks (thankfully) so it was a very unfamiliar experience. but anyway i literally had to excuse myself outside and i was trying to calm myself down but i felt like i was dying. and then randomly dan and phil popped into my head. just out of nowhere my brain was like hey buddy remember these nerds??? and it was like the distraction my brain needed to chill for a sec. to see that i was in fact not dying. so then i made myself listen to the internet is here right there in the parking lot and by the time it was over i was back to baseline and went back inside. the rest of the day i was like i cant believe i finally relate to all those fans i've seen talk about this sort of thing. i cant believe dan and phil got me through a panic attack lmao. i dont mean that in a condescending way either. like i've watched the documentary where fans talk about this sort of thing and i've always been like wow that's awesome that dnp makes things better for people but it's always just been like an entertainment or stress relief at the most thing for me. idk if im even making sense. it's been a day and a half. so anyway that's it. i was thankfully before but now i'm especially thankful for dan and phil.
can i also say i love the conspiracy theories so much because y'all pick up on stuff and point out stuff i would definitely miss. i love it.
Loafer
sofa crease

In honor of this threads title, I wanted to share my new pet theory / headcanon. I think there was originally a massage in the crash bandicoot video, but it didn't make the final cut. The first time I watched the video, there was a part where I remember thinking that they had just gotten back from taking a break or something, idk what it was, subtle shifts in their position or behavior idk idk and now I'm so overwhelmed by the video every time I rewatch I can't find that part again but ANYWAYS I'm betting there was a part where they both get extra frustrated and Dan ended up giving Phil a quick lil shoulder rub and Phil got kinda into it and Dan was all "this is gonna get flagged" and so later Dan was referencing that moment with his erotic massages comment. Except they decided it was a bit much and cut it out so his comment was just random without context. I think it's likely tbh?? Unless he was referencing something random that nobody picked up on.
droopy
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

Loafer wrote:In honor of this threads title, I wanted to share my new pet theory / headcanon. I think there was originally a massage in the crash bandicoot video, but it didn't make the final cut. The first time I watched the video, there was a part where I remember thinking that they had just gotten back from taking a break or something, idk what it was, subtle shifts in their position or behavior idk idk and now I'm so overwhelmed by the video every time I rewatch I can't find that part again but ANYWAYS I'm betting there was a part where they both get extra frustrated and Dan ended up giving Phil a quick lil shoulder rub and Phil got kinda into it and Dan was all "this is gonna get flagged" and so later Dan was referencing that moment with his erotic massages comment. Except they decided it was a bit much and cut it out so his comment was just random without context. I think it's likely tbh?? Unless he was referencing something random that nobody picked up on.
Okay I was thinking the exact same thing the first time I watched it. What made me do a double-take was the fact that Dan complained about his neck hurting earlier in the video, there was a convenient (but, tbf, not necessarily out of place) jump-cut, and then later on he brings up erotic massages. My initial thought was that Phil gave him a neck rub or something like that, and then since massages were in the forefront of his mind, they slipped into his stream-of-consciousness rambling while he was in The Zone. "Erotic massages" just seemed so unrelated to anything that had happened on-screen, but also wasn't weird or "out there" enough to be a comedic non sequitur (if that makes any sense lmao).

Now I feel particularly trashy for thinking about it this much, so I'll just see myself out.
pilotlight
#relatable
Pronouns: he/him

I really liked the video! I didn't have an emo phase exactly but I thought I was ~punk~ when I was a teenager and a bunch of my friends were into the emo thing, so it was still pretty relateable. I don't think being emo was stigmatized all that much where I was living though, definitely not something that would get rocks thrown at you. I mean people would make snide remarks about being depressed or "jokes" about self-harm, but it wasn't especially hostile, just really thoughtless.
Anyway, the shamecams cracked me up and I'll never complain about seeing the nice pictures of Phil again, so it was a good video for me.
dailybooth
glabella
Pronouns: She/Her

Vanderlyle wrote:
yea i 100% had super scene/ emo friends who could not get jobs due to their hair/piercings/ style. my best friend had to move in with her grandparents bc her mom was super preppy and she was emo af.
also, i can't help but think that the people who are upset about this "making fun of lgbtq people" must not have lived through the early-aughts emo scene. the emo scene WAS the lgbtq community in many, many ways. the harassment that subculture endured was inseparable from lgbt harassment. the guys were always assumes to be gay or "girl", girls were harassed for being "bi sluts" etc, etc. Like - the negative assumptions/ harassment towards emo culture were rooted in sexuality.
biker dudes are a subculture too, but they aren't harassed largely due to the "macho man" connotations.
I agree, emo and its fashion and the (mostly anonymous) online culture it harbored allowed people to express gender and sexuality how they wanted, which obviously attracted a ton of lgbt kids. So, the comment about losing jobs,friends, family caught me off guard but it really wasn't out of place IMO.

(Also, this is my first post! I hope I did it right lol )
:lion: :prideflag:
somethingsketchy
janice from the shop

sparkle wrote:
so this is an...

better. So this is an idea, maybe that week in March was brainstorming ideas for an AP rebrand? Or maybe a new joint channel? Could be possible that Phil is going to rebrand following another move? But his hair has come up SO MANY TIMES recently that I think we're bracing for impact. Still black, but maybe goodbye emo fringe?
Let me add some fuel to the flames. Did anyone else think it was a bit odd that Anthony credited Phil as just "Phil" and not "AmazingPhil" in the Philthony collab even though Dan was "Daniel Howell" in the Danthony one? The video titles are wtf am i doing (ft. Phil) and Stop saying we look alike! (ft. Daniel Howell) respectively. I'm not saying Phil is going to rebrand to "Phil", but maybe he'll start going by Phil Lester or something.
confusedpanda
ar·tic·u·late
Pronouns: Her/she

somethingsketchy wrote:
sparkle wrote:
so this is an...

Let me add some fuel to the flames. Did anyone else think it was a bit odd that Anthony credited Phil as just "Phil" and not "AmazingPhil" in the Philthony collab even though Dan was "Daniel Howell" in the Danthony one? The video titles are wtf am i doing (ft. Phil) and Stop saying we look alike! (ft. Daniel Howell) respectively. I'm not saying Phil is going to rebrand to "Phil", but maybe he'll start going by Phil Lester or something.
Can I add even more fuel to this and say he's rebranding to Phil Howell and Anthony just didn't wanna give away the rebranding yet! Once Phil totally 1000% rebrands to the last name Howell, then the video title will change!!!! (side note, I've been loving all these "theories" on here the past few days!)
Also I haven't posted in a few days but all the videos have been really good/funny. I really need to go back and rewatch the crash bandicoot video soon, that one had me in tears from laughing. Also can't wait for tomska's new video with dan!
We're here, we're queer, we're filled with existential fear!
gif cred: pseudophan on tumblr
somethingsketchy
janice from the shop

confusedpanda wrote:
somethingsketchy wrote:
sparkle wrote:
so this is an...

Can I add even more fuel to this and say he's rebranding to Phil Howell and Anthony just didn't wanna give away the rebranding yet! Once Phil totally 1000% rebrands to the last name Howell, then the video title will change!!!! (side note, I've been loving all these "theories" on here the past few days!)
Also I haven't posted in a few days but all the videos have been really good/funny. I really need to go back and rewatch the crash bandicoot video soon, that one had me in tears from laughing. Also can't wait for tomska's new video with dan!
On the other hand, how absolutely hilarious would it be if Phil rebranded to Phil? Like, how many other well-known Phils are there on YouTube? There is, of course, Philip DeFranco (who is a snek I'm going to pretend doesn't exist), but out of those two, our Phil is definitely the OG one.

Just imagine: Daniel Howell and... Phil

On a serious note, I don't know how much I actually believe in Phil drastically rebranding any time soon. D&P have quite firmly insinuated that Phil's branding and hair are not going to change even though Dan's did, and I don't know why they would bother to repeat it so many times if it weren't true. Then again, Phil has been quietly squeezing himself out of the PG box lately, so who knows what is going happen.
hopinglester
banned

obscureDnPreference wrote:
SneakyLizard wrote: Those stairs... do you guys think they're basement/outside the actual apartment type stairs? Maybe it's just an attempt at industrial chic that wasn't quite right. The rest of the place looks so nice and the stairs look wrong in comparison. And the door by the mirror also looks unfinished/very basic. Puzzling, given the ceiling/window/pretty floor situation.
The stairs are definitely inside their apartment. You can see the desk in the clip from the video and in this pic.
The glass looks good in this photo but the actual stairs from the video don't look as aesthetically pleasing as the rest of the apartment. I JUST WANT TO UNDERSTAND THIS APARTMENT.

EDIT: The glass railing of the stairs is obvious in that photo, but it the video it looks like something white is covering it? A white couch perhaps?
I didn't think the stairs were in that section of the house (though it would be logical as the clip before that is filmed in the lounge there) because the stairs in the video have metal railing and in that photo it's glass? For me it seemed like they are stairs that lead to some sort of storage place because of their honestly fairly ugly appearance and the lack of illumination from the area below. I would say they filmed there because it enabled Phil to film Dan going down the stairs in a frontal angle which would have been impossible in the stairs of the lounge. But I could be totally wrong.