Dan & Phil Part 51: Master of Erotic Massages

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
Ablissa
pastel persona
Pronouns: she/her

I'm way late for bed, so I won't say much, just a quick post.

Excited for joint ls next week. More about That Week In March?

The new video - I loved it so much. So many iconic things said from both of them. They seemed relaxed and both seemed into it without screaming too much. 10/10

Mark of Oxin #2 - how can it be so low on views?! :( Poor, poor Phil. I loved that game and their genuine enthusiasm about it. I'm going to watch it a few more times this weekend just to give them views.
Last edited by Ablissa on Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ArtyJim
glabella

alittledizzy wrote:
(Also pour one out for poor Mark of Oxin #2, their worst performing video. Right now it's second only to the Layton mysteries for lowest view count but I'm sure Layton will surpass it soon since that one's still fairly new.)
which is really unfortunate because of all the praise dan pours out for phil in that one. it's such a feel good video imo lol.
sparkle
blobfish

snokoplasmic wrote:
alittledizzy wrote:(Also pour one out for poor Mark of Oxin #2, their worst performing video. Right now it's second only to the Layton mysteries for lowest view count but I'm sure Layton will surpass it soon since that one's still fairly new.)
:( this is the saddest sentence i've ever read. the mark of oxin deserves better!!!
is it worth watching? I've tried to watch the first one at least 3 times and fallen asleep every single time

(sorry Phil, nothing to do with you just sometimes videos knock me out. There was a time I couldn't make it through an Ashens or a NerdCubed video without being asleep)
Last edited by sparkle on Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:sparkle: dan howell gives me life :sparkle:
don't waste your time
or time will waste you
:sparkle:
tyhane
delia smith

It's interesting that people are saying that they didn't seem into it, weren't enjoying the game, etc. I didn't really get that impression when I was watching it. Although it also didn't have the feel of being a game that they genuinely loved playing, like Crash Bandicoot/Mario Kart videos of course. I found myself laughing a lot but looking back it was more due to jokes in the actual game, not their commentary (I'm nearly completely unspoiled, I've only watched probably like a minute of gameplay before). Perhaps I was paying so much attention to the actual game that I wasn't even really processing their reactions to it, lol. But overall I hadn't felt like they were taking the piss out of it or genuinely mocking it or anything. Any of the sarcastic quips and such I had just taken as fitting in with the humor of the game. (I'd certainly hope they weren't, since although it's funny, it's still intended as a legitimate dating simulator as opposed to a complete joke game like Horse Prince, as far as I'm aware?)

I felt like the mother/father choice was way too smooth/quick to be a completely unspoiled/first reaction, I'm guessing they knew it was coming and had discussed what their choice was going to be beforehand. Like, when I had first seen the choice myself, my reaction had been to wonder if it actually changed anything in the story or if it was just going to swap words/pronouns in the lines. Not that I necessarily expected them to stop and have a long deep discussion about it, it just felt a little unnatural. I mean it's hardly a big deal I guess, it's just something that crossed my mind.
blackdenim
procrastinator

I know it's an obvious pun but I had a dream once that Dan Beyonce'd a marriage and pregnancy with some girl and made a video announcing it all and the title was just 'dadisnotonfire' so seeing that as his name on the end card really shook me
SquishPhan
capita£ester

snokoplasmic wrote:
alittledizzy wrote:(Also pour one out for poor Mark of Oxin #2, their worst performing video. Right now it's second only to the Layton mysteries for lowest view count but I'm sure Layton will surpass it soon since that one's still fairly new.)
:( this is the saddest sentence i've ever read. the mark of oxin deserves better!!!
Agreed, it is actually one of my fave gaming vids from this year so it's sad to see that it didn't do better views wise.

I am now hoping for a joint live show soon.
pilotlight
#relatable
Pronouns: he/him

I was realllllly not expecting to like the video because I've thought the game sounded dumb and I usually get kind of bored of dialogue-heavy games. I almost noped out entirely when I saw it was >40 minutes long.

But I actually really enjoyed it?? I'm glad they were snappy with the dialogue because even though the writing was better than I expect, there was sooo much to get through. The "copacetic" thing killed me (dw Dan, I can't fucking pronounce it either lmao). My s/o and me have different first languages and that could basically be us correcting each other. I didn't really get the impression that either of them didn't liked it but I did found that Phil seemed to be a bit poker-faced at times, maybe because they're wary of how their choices/reactions in the game will be dissected by their audience.

I know nothing about the game other than the premise so I don't really know what to expect, but I'm with Phil, I liked the coffee shop dude. Blonde guy being a youth minister + his comment about Dilddy looking young (unless I misheard that? I kinda hope so) was a bit too . Also, his dead-eyed children of the corn, no thank you.
gnostic
stress mushroom

ArtyJim wrote:
alittledizzy wrote:
(Also pour one out for poor Mark of Oxin #2, their worst performing video. Right now it's second only to the Layton mysteries for lowest view count but I'm sure Layton will surpass it soon since that one's still fairly new.)
which is really unfortunate because of all the praise dan pours out for phil in that one. it's such a feel good video imo lol.
Mark of Oxin being so low in views is an actual CRIME I will go and rewatch it right now
Just here for the marketing skills
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

If you've got any dreamy and/or daddy-related thread names to suggest, go leave them now! I'll be making the poll soon. :)
bookfiend
spork
Pronouns: She/her

Phil: It needs the owl slide to improve it.

Plot Twist!
The reason for the week in March is because the builders working on the forever home are still trying to work out how to attach an owl slide to the roof without the whole thing collapsing.
snokoplasmic
procrastinator

malday wrote:?
......can anyone translate? (for real, i actually cannot tell what he's trying to say)
twix
butt chair

sparkle wrote:
snokoplasmic wrote:
is it worth watching? I've tried to watch the first one at least 3 times and fallen asleep every single time

(sorry Phil, nothing to do with you just sometimes videos knock me out. There was a time I couldn't make it through an Ashens or a NerdCubed video without being asleep)
it is worth watching if only for the moment when dan gets trolled by 14 year old phil so hard he is momentarily rendered speechless.
tyhane
delia smith

Err... I'm feeling really silly because I seriously can't understand what Dan's saying here. I've reread it several times and I'm just confused. I guess is he saying that Phil's endcard being like that was actually a mistake but he ran with it?
plath
sofa crease

alittledizzy wrote:
plath wrote:I feel like Dan's been making comments recently about making stuff entertaining - isn't that the excuse he uses for not playing longer, more involved games? Which is really bizarre to me considering I'm p sure a large portion of their audience would much rather watch them play a real game than take a flash quiz for the millionth time. It's okay to have 40 minute videos, it's perfectly fine. Don't do our attention spans wrong like that lmao. Tea and cookies and 40 mins of Dan & Phil is a great way to end a day.
Assuming they judge based on what gets the most views - they're not wrong to assume a long series of 40 minute videos are not going to have the retention they want. If you sort their gaming channel by most to least popular, the last few rows - videos that struggled and took ages to hit a million (or in a few cases, still haven't) - are full of the later Undertale eps, the second and third of the bomb series, the Horse Prince episodes, and some of the spon games they did. So flash quizzes for the millionth time... by the metric that's most immediate for them to go by, actual views... sadly do a lot better. And I'd guess if they're trying to hurry through this game it's to avoid the steep decline that their series have hit once they've passed three or four episodes.

omg noooo I love Mark of Oxin!! It's literally on my favourites playlist for when I get sad!!!! It's so sweet and pure. That's so sad. In that case I guess I can see why they'd be feeling the pressure to make things shorter or more entertaining. I guess it sucks for the folks who like longer videos, but I guess that just reflects Youtube audience. I hope the guys know that there's an appetite out there for other things, and just because some videos aren't as popular as others doesn't mean that there aren't people out there who love and appreciate them!
nope.
somethingsketchy
janice from the shop

bookfiend wrote:Phil: It needs the owl slide to improve it.

Plot Twist!
The reason for the week in March is because the builders working on the forever home are still trying to work out how to attach an owl slide to the roof without the whole thing collapsing.
This is a good one, but I still think the best plot twist in this video was Amanda possibly having written My Horse Prince...
sunshinias
spork

snokoplasmic wrote:
......can anyone translate? (for real, i actually cannot tell what he's trying to say)
I think he means that he accidentally put in the normal end card for phil without a joke or something? Idk why dan would then just put "amazingphil" though
:sunshine: ~let in a little sunshine~ :sunshine:
sparkle
blobfish

twix wrote:
sparkle wrote:
snokoplasmic wrote:

it is worth watching if only for the moment when dan gets trolled by 14 year old phil so hard he is momentarily rendered speechless.
I'm gonna drink a shit ton of coffee and actually stay awake for it this time!! Dan speechless is something I need in my life
:sparkle: dan howell gives me life :sparkle:
don't waste your time
or time will waste you
:sparkle:
pilotlight
#relatable
Pronouns: he/him

I thought he meant that instead of putting Phil's URL in his bubble on the endcard, he just put the text twice (like "amazingdad" instead of http://youtube...etc). So it was like a dead link or something.
But now I'm not sure I understood it at all. :wtf:
Appa
dank meme

confusedpanda wrote:
Katka wrote:
Edit: so are we not getting a dan live show on Tuesday??
for once in my life i actually hope so as i was honestly debating not going to a party on tuesday because of a joint liveshow and all the hype about that week in march which speaks volumes about my life
hello9217
flower crown

I'm sorry but can we talk about how Phil said Mat, the coffee shop guy, is his favorite. Like Mat is basically Dan- he likes music and puns and is socially awkward.
citizen_erased
truth bomb

sunshinias wrote:
snokoplasmic wrote:
I think he means that he accidentally put in the normal end card for phil without a joke or something? Idk why dan would then just put "amazingphil" though
the way I understood it was that on the endscreen of a different video dan accidentally put the joke name where the actual link to phil's channel was supposed to go, phil didn't appreciate it, and now dan's too scared of putting another joke there just in case he messes up again.

I don't know if this made more sense but I do think I understand what he's saying? or at least I thought I did.
sunshinias
spork

I also find Dan's comment about the bro brunches interesting:
somethingsketchy wrote:This is a good one, but I still think the best plot twist in this video was Amanda possibly having written My Horse Prince...

hello9217 wrote:I'm sorry but can we talk about how Phil said Mat, the coffee shop guy, is his favorite. Like Mat is basically Dan- he likes music and puns and is socially awkward.
Well yes but out of the options of I'm-better-than-you Irish guy, creepy perfect robot blonde, and BRO TIME weirdo roomate, kind-of-awkward-nerdy-guy-who-makes-sweets seems to be a no-brainer.

Edit:
citizen_erased wrote:the way I understood it was that on the endscreen of a different video dan accidentally put the joke name where the actual link to phil's channel was supposed to go, phil didn't appreciate it, and now dan's too scared of putting another joke there just in case he messes up again.

I don't know if this made more sense but I do think I understand what he's saying? or at least I thought I did.
Yeah, that makes more sense
:sunshine: ~let in a little sunshine~ :sunshine:
annabanana
sofa crease

citizen_erased wrote:
sunshinias wrote:
snokoplasmic wrote:
the way I understood it was that on the endscreen of a different video dan accidentally put the joke name where the actual link to phil's channel was supposed to go, phil didn't appreciate it, and now dan's too scared of putting another joke there just in case he messes up again.

why was my first thought that he made a typo on "link" and it was meant to say "kink" made complete sense to me
lishachi
eclipse shirt

I hope they continue with this game, it's pretty slow at first to kind of set the scene and give some backstory, but it's really fun and cute all around. Thoughts about who they'll choose (spoilers to endings) but basically I kind of hope they choose Robert or maybe Damien.
If they choose Craig, then it'll be bro central the whole damn time. It'll be a flashback to when Dan and Phil had that phase when they called each other bro and mate, but literally in game format. I'm pretty sure the Dad you play as and Craig call each other bro before things get kinda serious and they end up making out. So that'll be fun. That's if they choose to go on 3 dates with him. It is cute, maybe I'm not as much for him as I've seen other endings and don't like his much.
Roberts storyline is the most interesting to me and i like his backstory, he has a lot of depth to him. I really enjoyed his ending too. Also, he's bloody beautiful.
Damien would just be hilarious because I want Phil to voice him. But he voices Dilddy. Fack.
Well, Dan better get ready to do his best posh dracula voice and I'm certainly here for it.
Also, I fucking lost my shit when Dan tried to say copacetic. He tried 3 times and by the end I had lost it. Did he say cock-a-septic at one point?? Cope-a-septic?? I cannot deal with him. Articulate as always. ;) (I'm joking, but it did really make me laugh at his reactions to himself)
Dan, Phil, if you read here or lurk here or whatever, please, PLEASE play this game again. Just try a few dad dates. It gets really funny and good and there's at least 3 more dads you haven't met. Part 2 I beg of youuuuu. (Or Golf With Friends y'know,, I'm not picky,, dads or golf I'm happy with either)
:biflag: :blackheart:
Sinister Shipper
drama llama

[quote="sunshinias"]I also find Dan's comment about the bro brunches interesting: I was just about to post this, I kinda find his explanation of bro brunch sorta weird.

Glad I'm not the only one who saw that tweet.