Dan & Phil Part 51: Master of Erotic Massages

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
fondsmiles
phabergé
Pronouns: she/her

phanieldann wrote:Seeing phil so casually and repeatedly correct Dan's pronounciation of the word copacetic might be my favourite bit.
have i mentioned that i love phil

edit: this is truly an excellent post to be on top of the page. no shame detected
Last edited by fondsmiles on Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[x]
[x]
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

Oh, this is good. They both look pretty, I gotta dive in with that cos I kept noticing Phil's lovely freckly arms. His head tilt at the end too, so cute. I love all the acting, so much to enjoy, and Phil's deep voice and the way he kept insisting Joseph is a robot. The beginning was cute with the "one person asked us to play this". I noticed the lack of a punny endcard name for Phil too (would ADaddyPhil work?) Just hearing them say "daddy" a few times at the beginning was funny.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Some quick timestamps:

:44 - Raw/naked/bare. Phil jokes about blurring stuff out.
1:28 - "Don't do your chin like that, you're fine."
2:19 - "Phil. Everyone wants you to be dad."
3:05 - They've very excited over the character creator.
4:06 - Phil with the Thor
5:40 - Dan headcanoning the scar.
6:02 - Phil asking Dan if he'd grow a full beard. (Dan says maybe in ten years, Phil kind of wants to try it.)
6:49 - Phil extremely enthusiastic about the cat shirt.
8:23 - "That's like me with pajamas."
8:38 - Phil talking about his wizard costume.
9:10 - "Horse prince phase" - jump cut from whatever Dan is saying.
9:22 - "Please can that be the reward." ... does Phil get Dan to film gaming videos on a reward basis?
11:20 - Dan sneeze.
12:11 - Commenting on nice house, it has plants.
12:54 - Dog to person ratio is important to them.
13:13 - Dan and Phil's furry theme tune.
13:50 - Dog impressions?
14:28 - Dog adoption simulator.
15:17 - Puppy roleplay.
17:14 - Phil with his head in his hands. Cute cute.
21:07 - Horse fanfiction.
21:37 - Phil mentions chocolate coffee beans.
22:48 - Dan seems to appreciate this dad, laughs at Phil just complimenting the layering.
27:59 - Dan stumbling hard over the moving being stressful thing.
28:08 - Phil doesn't smell bad.
31:31 - Talk about Louise being upset and making everyone leave the room.
33:50 - Possessed kids.
35:20 - Dan's face at the 'we were roommates' l m f a o
36:06 - "Doing something. As roommates."
36:24 - "copacetic"
37:39 - Dan asking Phil why they never have bro brunches.
41:09 - Phil's fave is coffee shop guy or old college roommate. Dan wants confidence and someone who wants to make him happy/good attitude.

Consensus: Wow, I surprisingly loved this. I think I'd prepared myself for them to be stiff and uncomfortable and they actually... weren't, really. I didn't get the vibe that Phil wasn't enjoying it, in fact he was way more forthcoming about his opinions on things than I expected. It seemed like they were in less of the sugar high overact mode and more mellow but I think that's kind of necessary for a game that's not ten minutes long and that you don't need to coax people into feeling enthusiastic about.

Not being spoiled probably made a difference too because part of my interest was just in seeing what happened next. I think I'm gonna continue to go as spoiler free as possible.
LtrllySusan
lava lamp

gohomohowell wrote: There was something a bit off about it but I'm pretty sure Phil must've already seen a few other videos on DD (Markiplier?) considering how he knew about -------- and stuff. :
Please use spoiler tags! (I removed it in the quote cause I guess more people might be in my shoes)
I know Mark etc have posted the game already but I've stayed away so I can experience it on DnP. I'm a sad simple indeed :(
Last edited by LtrllySusan on Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
citizen_erased
truth bomb

fondsmiles wrote:THIS VIDEO SAVED 2017, I AM YELLING

- deppy talking about which guys they'd date
- phil being so much into beards AND CONSIDERING GROWING ONE (go for it, phil. go for it)
- dan stating that we all want to see phil as the dad (we do indeed)
- freaking out about dogs
- phil immediately coming forward with choosing the gay relationship backstory
- "roommates" and smirks and oh dear god
- they want bro brunches
- phil doing cute hand things literally the entire time? i can't handle it?
- probably way more shit that i can't remember anymore

that game is good, like, really good. i have heard good things about it and i really like what i've seen. it's got good jokes, i like the dads and that they're so different. i like amanda and her dad (dilddy, dear god what have they done). so i am invested in that already.
but i also love love love them playing it. yeah, it may be a lot of talking, and they seem to be really aware of that, because they've been talking so quickly. but i like it regardless! they do still provide commentary, and i live for that. i also live for how gay the game is and it just makes me fucking happy that they're comfortable playing it and discussing male-male relationships so openly and making gay jokes and generally being my queer icons. i also love domesticness and caring for their child and shared attraction for hot males. all in all, this video is pure fan services and i am very grateful.

they made it really long, i think that is a good approach too. this probably isn't a video that everyone on their channel is interested in, because it is quite different to what they usually play. but the core fandom is really into it and all for it, so making long videos that we will watch and others can skip easily is smart.
i really hope they make more videos of this. like, all of that. pls. deppy. i am broke. play that game for me. do it. come on. here's a doggo
to all of the above, I agree. Especially all those roommate jokes (bolded by me). I was just sitting here like "guys, GUYS. COME ON."

I'd personally only seen part of one of markiplier's videos of this game and some random bits and pieces around the internet so I honestly had no idea what this would be like, but I gotta say I'm intrigued. I'm invested. I want them to choose Craig, but that might be because I've read too much fanfiction and my mind instantly went to "ah yes slow burn over morning runs and college nostalgia and pining-for-more-than-20-years".

There's so much good stuff for new thread names in this video too. I could've kept track, but I didn't, so I'm going to rely on all of you for that tbh.
gnostic
stress mushroom

I hope I don't get crucified for this but... I didn't like it? Too much forced banting for me. I am not saying Dream Daddy is some great masterpiece to be appreciated in silence but this vid was off balance for me. Also the way they kept running out of time to read the text boxes gave me anxiety. Anyone else in the same boat?

DD Spoiler
good on Phil for immediately suspecting Evil!Joseph. I don't think any mainstream youtuber discovered or posted the cult ending yet
Just here for the marketing skills
chiccola
sofa crease

LtrllySusan wrote:That "Your mother/father and I..." choice went way too smooth; I'm pretty sure they were aware of that one coming
ikr, and they used the exact same reason that Markiplier did hmm~
Birdie
blobfish
Pronouns: they/them

Well, that was all over the place. I wish they’d had taken the time to read out the dialogue properly, it’s basically what makes the game but the jokes are lost because their delivery is so rushed. It’s a text-based game so I was hoping they’d give their delivery some thought like they did with Undertale but they were so hasty, they sometimes even missed the jokes themselves or just skipped over them without even reacting.

And maybe that’s just me but they seemed like they didn’t wanna play the game and only did it because so many people wanted them too. Phil especially seemed bored af, his delivery of the lines was completely uninspired, and they both tried to cover it up with so. much. sarcasm that I didn’t really appreciate. I don’t watch their gaming channel to listen to them drag a game for 40 minutes. Like, sure I enjoy it when they make fun of the games they play now and then but commenting everything with an eye roll and a snippy comment was too much. Usually, when they make fun of a game, they sound fond but this time, at least to me, they sounded more like they thought it was stupid. I mean, yes the game is cheesy and full of puns and Dad Jokes but that’s literally what it’s supposed to be like. I’m actually a bit surprised that two grown men who had so much unironic fun playing that horse prince dating game (that Phil STILL keeps bringing up…) would react to a genuinely sweet LGBT-game like that.

I mean, judging by the comments you guys posted while I was typing I’m the only one who took the video that way so maybe it’s really me this time but I really didn’t see many positive reactions to the game from them. I didn’t hate the video, I enjoyed it, some good bants in there and I loved Dan’s reaction to the Coffeeshop Discourse but I was way taken aback by the overall way they chose to present the game and I don’t think their reactions were as positive or even comfortable as people are saying. The whole video felt off to me and had quite a negative vibe.

(Also monolid eyes are not sneaky, what the fuck even was that comment, can we not go there.)
gohomohowell wrote:stupid me thought Dan would make a bisexual reference by choosing the "your mother" option, but oh well
Like??? I wasn't going to say it with everyone being so happy they chose the male option but choosing a mother wouldn't have made Dilddy straight or said anything about deppy's views or how comfortable with LGBT stuff they were because bisexuality is a thing... I mean, the game is queer from start to finish. Them choosing to play it might be groundbreaking but them choosing the male option is not, because choosing a mother would not have been less queer. That's why I'm also not cool with calling the game "gay" because it's not just gay, it has bisexual and trans characters too. The game isn't just gay fanservice, it's made by LGBT creators for LGBT players and I know no one here was trying to say that but people acting like the bisexual option would have been worse than the gay one kind of rubbed me the wrong way, sorry for ranting.
sparkle
blobfish

I really enjoyed that video - I like D&P best over longer videos because they tend to be more chill and I don't need to worry about Dan bursting my eardrums (poor headphone user I am)

The copacetic part had me honestly laughing so hard - it's nice to see Phil correcting Dan

also 'why don't we have bro brunches?' because you have actual dates Danyul
:sparkle: dan howell gives me life :sparkle:
don't waste your time
or time will waste you
:sparkle:
malday
emo goose

@30:09
*I wonder if it's too late to just move again*
"Yeah, just move! Pack up, get going again, burn this neighborhood to the ground"

I enjoyed the it. But I agree they need to not rush while reading the dialogue.
Last edited by malday on Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gnostic
stress mushroom

Katka wrote:Well, that was all over the place. I wish they’d had taken the time to read out the dialogue properly, it’s basically what makes the game but the jokes are lost because their delivery is so rushed. It’s a text-based game so I was hoping they’d give their delivery some thought like they did with Undertale but they were so hasty, they sometimes even missed the jokes themselves or just skipped over them without even reacting.

And maybe that’s just me but they seemed like they didn’t wanna play the game and only did it because so many people wanted them too. Phil especially seemed bored af, his delivery of the lines was completely uninspired, and they both tried to cover it up with so. much. sarcasm that I didn’t really appreciate. I don’t watch their gaming channel to listen to them drag a game for 40 minutes. Like, sure I enjoy it when they make fun of the games they play now and then but commenting everything with an eye roll and a snippy comment was too much. Usually, when they make fun of a game, they sound fond but this time, at least to me, they sounded more like they thought it was stupid. I mean, yes the game is cheesy and full of puns and Dad Jokes but that’s literally what it’s supposed to be like. I’m actually a bit surprised that two grown men who had so much unironic fun playing that horse prince dating game (that Phil STILL keeps bringing up…) would react to a genuinely sweet LGBT-game like that.

I mean, judging by the comments you guys posted while I was typing I’m the only one who took the video that way so maybe it’s really me this time but I really didn’t see many positive reactions to the game from them. I didn’t hate the video, I enjoyed it, some good bants in there and I loved Dan’s reaction to the Coffeeshop Discourse but I was way taken aback by the overall way they chose to present the game and I don’t think their reactions were as positive or even comfortable as people are saying. The whole video felt off to me and had quite a negative vibe.

(Also monolid eyes are not sneaky, what the fuck even was that comment, can we not go there.)
gohomohowell wrote:stupid me thought Dan would make a bisexual reference by choosing the "your mother" option, but oh well
Like??? I wasn't going to say it with everyone being so happy they chose the male option but choosing a mother wouldn't have made Dilddy straight or said anything about deppy's views or how comfortable with LGBT stuff they were because bisexuality is a thing... I mean, the game is queer from start to finish. Them choosing to play it might be groundbreaking but them choosing the male option is not, because choosing a mother would not have been less queer. That's why I'm also not cool with calling the game "gay" because it's not just gay, it has bisexual and trans characters too. The game isn't just gay fanservice, it's made by LGBT creators for LGBT players and I know no one here was trying to say that but people acting like the bisexual option would have been worse than the gay one kind of rubbed me the wrong way, sorry for ranting.
Imma just quote this whole goddamn thing because when it's right, it's right
Just here for the marketing skills
fondsmiles
phabergé

Katka wrote: (Also monolid eyes are not sneaky, what the fuck even was that comment, can we not go there.)
(agreed on the monolid comment, that was not okay imo)

speaking for myself, I use the term gay quite often more as an umbrella term, more like queer - which, idk whether it's a good or a bad thing to do, but I certainly don't only mean same gender relationship/attraction by it, and maybe that's true for others as well.
i do see your point with the bisexual option though. thanks for pointing that out!
[x]
[x]
somethingsketchy
janice from the shop

Adding images is such a work, so I'm sharing this via Tumblr. @1:20, there was an obvious place for a hydration joke, but I'm guessing D&P didn't notice the text on the bottom of the screen because they didn't go for it.
[tumblr] <div class="tumblr-post" data-href="https://embed.tumblr.com/embed/post/FX7 ... 3765508597" data-did="451161088a7d81c68b74cb5f09cf9b3ffc4ba161">[/tumblr]
I actually have to agree with Katka on that something was a bit off in the video. They definitely didn't seem to be that into the game, which is just sad.
Whommel
sofa crease
Pronouns: They/them

My thoughts about the Dream Daddy video

First things first: Dan's face at 35:20!

This was everything I ever wanted. I had only watched Markipliers first video so wasn't too spoiled and I'm happy about that. Will definitely watch Deppy's first and then I'll watch Markipliers and Jacksepticeyes afterwards.

So far I'm team Craig and Mat. Not to fond of competitive Irish Dad and the Youth minister is soooo creepy.

Loved the Die Antwoord pun in the game. And in the spirit of the game will recommend their song "Daddy". It is actually a little disturbing, but I love it so much.

Loved the length of the vid (always good with a nice and long Daddy ... video) It seemed fitting. Good place to end it too after a whole day. I hope we won't have to wait to long for the next one.

Edit: And the bro brunches ... you have 3 hour breakfasts instead ...
Last edited by Whommel on Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ArtyJim
glabella

definitely not a fave of mine. i've never had any interest in this game but was going to give it a chance when dnp played it but yeah im just not into it lol. i really hate 'daddy culture' tbh. but it's dan and phil - they could upload an hour long video of them reading a phonebook (are those even still a thing?) and i'd still watch and find a way to enjoy it haha. i preferred listening them talk about the game at the end of the video over the actual gameplay.
sparkle
blobfish

Whommel wrote:My thoughts about the Dream Daddy video

First things first: Dan's face at 35:20!

This was everything I ever wanted. I had only watched Markipliers first video so wasn't too spoiled and I'm happy about that. Will definitely watch Deppy's first and then I'll watch Markipliers and Jacksepticeyes afterwards.

So far I'm team Craig and Mat. Not to fond of competitive Irish Dad and the Youth minister is soooo creepy.

Loved the Die Antwoord pun in the game. And in the spirit of the game will recommend their song "Daddy". It is actually a little disturbing, but I love it so much.

Loved the length of the vid (always good with a nice and long Daddy ... video) It seemed fitting. Good place to end it too after a whole day. I hope we won't have to wait to long for the next one.
based on Undertale, I'm guessing they'll complete this sometime just before Dans 30th birthday?

edit: oooh i'm hobbit hair. That accurately describes my hair.
:sparkle: dan howell gives me life :sparkle:
don't waste your time
or time will waste you
:sparkle:
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Katka wrote:And maybe that’s just me but they seemed like they didn’t wanna play the game and only did it because so many people wanted them too. Phil especially seemed bored af, his delivery of the lines was completely uninspired, and they both tried to cover it up with so. much. sarcasm that I didn’t really appreciate. I don’t watch their gaming channel to listen to them drag a game for 40 minutes. Like, sure I enjoy it when they make fun of the games they play now and then but commenting everything with an eye roll and a snippy comment was too much. Usually, when they make fun of a game, they sound fond but this time, at least to me, they sounded more like they thought it was stupid.
Wow, I really did not get the same impressions you did. I didn't think Phil seemed bored at all, I just think they opted not to do constant voices that require taxing their vocal chords after seeming so frustrated with that choice in Undertale. They did silly voice delivery for My Horse Prince but them choosing normal realistic voices for these normal realistic characters in DD just made sense to me?

It's also a game with a lot of reading so yeah I think them not being super extra in their delivery is because they were taking in the game. I also didn't get the impression that they didn't like it, or that they were being overly sarcastic about it. Dan did his over the top crying reaction face a couple times during moments with some emotional backstory but - that's just Dan. It seemed like emphasizing a reaction, but not mean-spirited or mocking. In fact overall I think they treated the subject matter with way less silliness than I'd anticipated, considering they're actually talking out the pros and cons of each of the dads and trying to project who would be the best partner based on what the know so far.

I think people do have an emotional attachment to this game, and I totally get why, but I also think that trying to hold Dan and Phil to a standard for this game that they aren't held to for any other game is just asking for disappointment.
Philena
blobfish

Huh, nothing seemed off to me, and the two seemed really into it, imo. I wished they would have slowed down a bit on the reading so we didn't get the stupid mistakes from Karamazov, precocious, and copacetic (I died!!!!), but overall I really loved the video! I will say that it's probably hard to bant about a dating simulator when your own dating proclivities are not for public consumption. They handled it really well.

I am also unspoiled, so thank you for hiding the spoilers!
Last edited by Philena on Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
plath
sofa crease

I'm soooo glad they played this game (I was one of the million people requesting it in the comments of literally every video lol) but they definitely didn't seem super into it, which is a shame. I thought they'd be on board with the cool puns and cute chill vibe, but it seemed like they were trying too hard to make it SUPER FUNNY ENTERTAINING AWESOME when really it's just a cute fluffy laid back dating sim...which is fine. Not everything needs to be frenetic all the time.

I wish they'd taken it a bit slower and really gotten into it like Undertale. I wonder if it's a combination of them a) not being super jazzed to play the game and b) being worried about how to make it 'entertaining' enough for the gaming channel.

I feel like Dan's been making comments recently about making stuff entertaining - isn't that the excuse he uses for not playing longer, more involved games? Which is really bizarre to me considering I'm p sure a large portion of their audience would much rather watch them play a real game than take a flash quiz for the millionth time. It's okay to have 40 minute videos, it's perfectly fine. Don't do our attention spans wrong like that lmao. Tea and cookies and 40 mins of Dan & Phil is a great way to end a day.

Anyway, I still liked it (minus that monolid comment, what the fuck Dan) and I hope they'll be making more - I just hope they tone the stress levels down a bit next time.
nope.
pastelspectre
stress mushroom
Pronouns: he/him

i'm in love with this?? i did think their dialogue was a bit speedy at times but i don't blame them, there's a lot of dialogue they have to get through. i did like the cute side comments and the minute long pronunciation of that one word (can't remember it now ). good video though and i look forward to the next part. i'm also watching jacksepticeye's playthrough of this game as well haha

also the monolid comment was not cool what the heck
:transheart:
SquishPhan
capita£ester

Yeah I just don’t get the love for this game, Dan and Phil made it a bit more enjoyable for me and I will probably continue to watch them play it, but this is not something that I would rewatch.

I’m all here for Phil trying to grow a full beard.
phanieldann wrote:Seeing phil so casually and repeatedly correct Dan's pronounciation of the word copacetic might be my favourite bit.
That was my favorite bit.
confusedpanda
ar·tic·u·late
Pronouns: Her/she

Katka wrote:
The monolid comment, it seemed more of the fact they were talking about it in a general context of someone squinting, not about legit people with actually monolid eyes. But idk why they said monolid :wtf: Image those were the eyes they were talking about and then went on to talk about squinting. I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt here as it does look like someone squinting. But ofcourse if you have monolid eyes and feel offended by this, then please speak up!

Edit: so are we not getting a dan live show on Tuesday??
Last edited by confusedpanda on Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We're here, we're queer, we're filled with existential fear!
gif cred: pseudophan on tumblr
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

plath wrote:I feel like Dan's been making comments recently about making stuff entertaining - isn't that the excuse he uses for not playing longer, more involved games? Which is really bizarre to me considering I'm p sure a large portion of their audience would much rather watch them play a real game than take a flash quiz for the millionth time. It's okay to have 40 minute videos, it's perfectly fine. Don't do our attention spans wrong like that lmao. Tea and cookies and 40 mins of Dan & Phil is a great way to end a day.
Assuming they judge based on what gets the most views - they're not wrong to assume a long series of 40 minute videos are not going to have the retention they want. If you sort their gaming channel by most to least popular, the last few rows - videos that struggled and took ages to hit a million (or in a few cases, still haven't) - are full of the later Undertale eps, the second and third of the bomb series, the Horse Prince episodes, and some of the spon games they did. So flash quizzes for the millionth time... by the metric that's most immediate for them to go by, actual views... sadly do a lot better. And I'd guess if they're trying to hurry through this game it's to avoid the steep decline that their series have hit once they've passed three or four episodes.

(Also pour one out for poor Mark of Oxin #2, their worst performing video. Right now it's second only to the Layton mysteries for lowest view count but I'm sure Layton will surpass it soon since that one's still fairly new.)
snokoplasmic
procrastinator

alittledizzy wrote:(Also pour one out for poor Mark of Oxin #2, their worst performing video. Right now it's second only to the Layton mysteries for lowest view count but I'm sure Layton will surpass it soon since that one's still fairly new.)
:( this is the saddest sentence i've ever read. the mark of oxin deserves better!!!
malday
emo goose

?