Dan & Phil Part 52: And They Were Roommates

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
just
smol bean
Pronouns: idc

favourite moment:

1:05-1:14
dan is just so cute sometimes it's overwhelming
christmas is upon us
minnow
not a first-time poster

Made an account because I just couldn't resist participating in this discussion, one of my favourite moments of theirs (along with all the others that were mentioned above), is that video on Phil's second channel where he makes Dan write with a marker on that wooden thing. Idk it's just so soft and adorable to me. Like even their voices seem more natural to me for some reason. Actually, most of the second channel vids with Dan, like the spicy gummy bear one, are super cute moments.
okay, going back to lurking now, thanks for always providing content for me to read when I'm super bored or procrastinating
quercussp
living flop

There were a lot of very good moments mentioned, but one that I constantly rewatch is Phil tricking Dan with the spicy gummy bears. I usually HATE practical jokes, but this one was so cute and Dan is so full of fondness at the end that I can drown in it

I also have a thing for Dan swearing at Phil and Phil smiling and laughing, and the point in the impossible quiz where Phil moved the mouse. I enjoy moments like these because Dan is mad or frustrated, but just radiating fondness and it's so domestic and sweet.
Wylis
tol bean
Pronouns: she/her

All my favorite moments/videos were already mentioned (Phil Lester, you're a genius , BONCAS awards, Phil trash #1, Japan haul, Festive DITL, MONSTER POPS…) so I’m just delurking to mention the one that I find the cringiest (it is a dan and not a phan video/moment): dan’s A Day In The Life Of A Superhero.

The secondhand embarrassment is just too strong for me to (re)watch it.
Last edited by Wylis on Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
jesp
why bother

Susannah wrote:
dailybooth wrote: [offtopic]no idea...its showing up like that for me too. Everything in my user control panel seems fine and I tried logging out and back in?[/offtopic]
i think it's because you accidentally overlapped quote and spoiler tags. report the post and a mod will fix it for you.
Yeah, that was it. It happens occasionally. Fixed now, just took a little longer for one of us to get to it.
brekkyfood
smol bean

i'm loving reading this discussion so i thought i'd chime in.
most cringey: i can't watch a lot of the videos where they're singing (especially toxic) - it's not that they're really awful or anything it just makes me want to sink into a hole in the ground and never come out again. tatinof is also a no from me.
favourite: i agree with everyone who's said the blindfold cat face game, it makes me so happy but sad at the same time. also we're moving out, festive ditl and anything cute and natural and domestic.
right, back to lurking for me it is
JustMe
living flop
Pronouns: She/her

I agree with everyone on the cringe when they're meeting fans, but what gets me the most is when they are on a panel/performing and people go 'Awww'. It's in the 'can Phil express an opinion' vid and also the one where Dan says 'Phil's just a lovely person'. When you look at their faces afterwards they look so akward and it just makes me want to throw away my laptop.

One of my favorites which I can't believe no one mentioned yet: Phil's ultrafond 'I hate you's' and Dan just laughing after because he knows he means the opposite. My favorite ones are the first two clips of this video:

~ I'll be bold as well as strong and use my head alongside my heart ~
bluntedclaws
rainbow nerd

I've been reading the last few pages and smiling at everyone's faves. So many good moments!
I get why a lot of people find TATINOF cringe but I just find it endearingly homemade like everything else Deppy make. Dan's performance comes across as very overdone on the video but it was intended for stage and, sitting far back in the theatre, I appreciated how loud and clear he was.
One really cringe moment that nobody has mentioned yet is that live show where Dan reads "I love you Phil" from the chat. Sooooo awkward. Ugh.
I really love the bonus video from the time on the radio show where they painted each other with uv paint. Their voices are so soft, especially at the beginning. Dan finishes by saying "That was erotic." and I kind of agree with him.
(I tried to embed it but it didn't work. :( )
Sorry if I say something wrong. My first language is sarcasm. I've never really learned English
bookfiend
spork
Pronouns: She/her

Cringe moments IDK I don't tend to react badly to cringe moments when done for comedic/entertainment purposes. In fact I tend to laugh through the awkward more than anything. I certainly don't think there's a video they've made I cannot watch again and enjoy.
The only thing that makes me cringe is the 2022 thing and it probably wouldn't make me cringe if it wasn't for the fans constantly bringing it up. Considering what was going on in deppy's lives at the time and how it affected Chris it just makes me uncomfortable to hear people holding the moment on a pedestal.

It's like how people constantly need to bring up 2012 as a dire warning every time Dan and Phil have a bad day or they feel the need to police shippers. On Tumblr it's constant at the moment. I'm sure spamming that across social media every time they upload a video is fun for D&P to be reminded of. *insert sarcasm here*.

Fav Moments I love the DITL vids, especially the festive one. Golf with Friends, Pokémon Go! trilogy, baking videos and any video where Phil insists on dressing Dan up in a ridiculous outfit. I salute Phil and his secretly evil genius ways
Aeryth
squish

I've been watching the discussion unfolding for almost a day now and it seems like I can't resist participating :)

cringe moments: pretty much everything that was mentioned is fine with me. I adore "can Phil express an opinion?" moment because being a shy and quiet person whose voice people often can't hear in the crowd, I would really appreciate it if someone would speak up for me

I love TATINOF because I never expected too much of it and when I watch it I feel really proud of what "two guys who met each other on the internet" managed to achieve. they may not be the best actors in the world and some parts of the show itself are... peculiar but it's like a statement that anything is possible

probably what really makes me cringe are the moments when Dan is trying to give us some exaggerated fan service like feeding Phil and looking into the camera and screaming "is that what you want??" because no, in no way that is what I want. for me it's like breaking the fourth wall or something and I immediately feel caught and uncomfortable, though "phan moments" is not even what I watch their videos for in the first place

favourite moments: if I started naming the videos that would be a very long list sometimes it's actually a tiny bit that makes a video special and I can re-watch this moment twenty times before moving on. e.g. I absolutely love the moment with "all the windows are glass" from the Sims video, I laugh with Dan every time. or the one where Phil says some other word instead of a tomahawk and Dan correct him with something like "oh god, you're wrong and yet I know what you mean" (I tried to find the Sims episode but I always forget which one it was)

I do have a short favourite video though (speaking of SAP). everything in it it's just so precious: Phil's mime, Dan's sincere confusion, their laugh at the end and the way he says "vampire", it gets me every time

oh, and I'm mesmerised by the moment at the end of one of Dan's early liveshows (that I'm now catching up with) where he plays the piano and Phil talks over it, it just feels so calm, domestic and so right

at around 1:44:45
mysterylovescompany
morning quiff

Aeryth wrote:I do have a short favourite video though (speaking of SAP). everything in it it's just so precious: Phil's mime, Dan's sincere confusion, their laugh at the end and the way he says "vampire", it gets me every time

at around 1:44:45
YES YES YES I LOVE THIS ONE SO MUCH! so so funny
phil's look of incredulity, their lovely soft casual conversational voices, dan's final realisation, phil's teasing ... truly one of the cutest videos of them
Birdie
blobfish
Pronouns: they/them

I don't have much to contribute but I've loved reading everyone's posts as well. My top two cringey things with these two are probably "The Internet is Here" and Dan whenever he thinks he sounds really clever but isn't like when he goes all pretentious in his music talks and stuff. That's hard to watch for me but I don't usually cringe easily so I'm okay with everything else.

My favourite moments are usually when they tease each other a bit because those moments really show how close they are and how well they understand each other. "All the windows are glass" is also a favourite of mine because of this and everytime the sound barrier comes up. "Phil, we've been over this!" Yes, you have indeed.
kai
smol bean

something that always makes me cringe is when people ask dan to play piano in liveshows, idk he just seems really awkward about it to me, like he knows people will either go on and on about how good he is or they'll be really critical of any slight mistake he makes on the spot. i'm definitely projecting though, i've played on and off for years now and i still get so embarrassed when people draw attention to it or ask to listen. no idea if dan feels that way but i cant watch him play, i have to look away from the screen and just listen to it (and he's not bad at it at all, i'm so jealous of his ridiculously long fingers tbh). other than that, basically everything that's been mentioned here- any time they're caught off guard in front of an audience i get lowkey anxious on their behalf and it makes it hard to enjoy stuff if they seem too uncomfortable lmao

fave moments: i LOVE any time they shamelessly wind each other up! i don't get soft about anything that often but there's something about how quickly and easily phil can make dan exasperated or flustered or amused. he just knows exactly what to say to get a good reaction out of him and he's always so pleased with himself it's such a comfortable best friends/married couple thing to be able to tease each other like that. and ofc the festive ditl, that might be the best content they've ever made (the australia ditl makes me smile a lot as well, especially the koala cuddling!! but i facepalm so much at their terrible aussie accents that i have to skip through those bits lol)
liola
rankussy

I'm so glad I asked that question, I love reading all these different opinions aw

As for TATINOF, I think I don't find it cringey because I know all of it was made on purpose and very persona-heavy because of it. As someone who was involved in musicals during her teen years, I just know that sometimes theatrical productions are cheesy and cringey because that's how to get a reaction on the audience, and I think I can surpass it.

I'm going to binge watch all the fave moments that have been mentioned, I think it's a good way to wait for Phil's video and keep procrastinating writing my thesis
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
000dia000
emo goose

I think this video is possibly the cringiest thing to ever exist. I don't think you can watch through without cringing. It is just literally embarrassing. Worse so, check out then comment section, hate comments, even one from Tonska himself. There's a reason why this has such low views and nobody ever brings it up.
Last edited by alittledizzy on Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed video tag
:cactus:
chloek88
spork

I agree with so much of what's been posted--Festive DITL, Baking vids, Pokemon Gos, the weird noise clip from making of TATINOF, and How to Make Dan Cringe are all some of me go to replays, along with some of the early gaming vids (Portal, Bishi Bashi, Minecraft, Tekken)

I've seen Dan Tries Caviar so many times--never fails to make me smile. The way Phil gently but insistently eggs Dan on in both that and the Make Dan Cringe vids and Dan's face, i just love it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUT-j9g ... mazingPhil

the blooper from 4:14 onwards in this Z-Day vid, it's just very natural, silly, and sweet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-w1y4R- ... mazingPhil

5:50 in the Dragon City vid, i love seeing Phil laughing uncontrollably at Dan's humor: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COp_1EW ... dPhilGAMES

around 3:55-4:12 in making of TABINOF, first Dan's smile after the "baby's bottom" comment and then the moment when Phil can't stop laughing because the whiskers tickle--the look in Dan's eyes when he's saying "keep it together" is the fondest look i've ever seen. like hearteyeshowell whatever, that look right there is pure love i tell you!!!!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sknu_l ... nielHowell
LtrllySusan
lava lamp

chloek88 wrote:I've seen Dan Tries Caviar so many times--never fails to make me smile. The way Phil gently but insistently eggs Dan on in both that and the Make Dan Cringe vids and Dan's face, i just love it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUT-j9g ... mazingPhil
Please tell me this was on purpose

Glad to see the response to my question about favourite moments and even happier that some people made accounts just to answer it! :welcome: There were a few videos that I had never seen, so thanks for linking those.
quercussp
living flop

On the subject of cringe moments: almost all of the interviews for TV or magazines that they did make me want to crawl under my bed and stay there forever. But I have to say that it's the same with most youtuber interviews.
kindofatrashcan
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie
Pronouns: She/Her

Maybe it's because i'm pretty new to all of this, but almost everything from 2009 to 2012/2013 i found it very cringey almost unwatchable, even PINOF, at least the first i found it very hard to watch.
And all my favourite moments are already mentioned, i really REALLY love that moment in the Louise's vlog at TATINOF afterparty, the BONCAS (oh man, the BONCAS ) and all of the DITL (festive is the best).
Artdefines06
ar·tic·u·late
Pronouns: She/They/Nothing

I woke up to drama on tumblr and quickly came here to see everyones opinion on it only to find out none of it was real lol. False alarm.
lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual

This is all lovely!

Favorite recipe: Pumpkin Spice Pumpkin Cookies. They're yummy. (Dan seems to have doubled the spice from the original recipe or something and that was a good move.)

Most cringe: Stalker Prank Call. That video should be removed from the internet. If that was the only thing I ever saw of any of them, I would think everyone in that video was awful.

Favorite moments: how has no one mentioned the bit in the TATINOF documentary where Dan sticks his finger in the nose of poor Phil trying to sleep off his cold, and Phil wakes up and curls into Dan? (And this spawned Elbowgate.)
Terrifying Baby Woman (which is outtakes from the Manchester DITL) is lovely all they way through, especially the moment just points out (which happens to be where my avatar is from ).
just wrote:favourite moment:

1:05-1:14
dan is just so cute sometimes it's overwhelming
Blindfolded Cat Face Game is adorable, but everyone should really watch the full stickAID videos for four times the 2010 sweetness:

And of course, every second of the original pinof and AmazingDan. alittledizzy has pointed out all the sexual energy in the latter video, and you get to see (if not hear) Phil say "fuck" (with its original meaning).

And who can forget Crash Bandicoot:
If you watch stickAID, pinof, AmazingDan, Crash Bandicoot (all 2009/10) all back-to-back, you can certainly get the impression that Phi can't keep his hands off Dan (or his head out of his lap).

The BONCAs moment is obivously one of everyone's favorites. I think you can draw a straight line from the Phil who smirked at the camera then turned and knocked Dan to the floor to the Phil seven years later who started an award acceptance speech and then dragged Dan up on stage with him. "Look: this is me, and this is who I've got."
"If you're left-handed, ask a friend."
"Why am I left-handed?"
"Everybody makes mistakes."
sugar
eclipse shirt

all the cringey moments i can think of have been mentioned.

this, however, is one of my very favorites. i'm just consistently shocked that they let this video be seen, when it's pretty obvious (once you've seen the bus tour video) that they're laying together in the bed at the back of the bus that supposedly only phil was going to use. and i'm so sure that phil slightly puckers his lips after he opens his eyes slightly the first time. it's so intimate and soft and i love it and i've no idea why they decided to show it to us but i am so happy they did.

edit: i see i was wrong and this was already mentioned, right above my post :facepalm:
autumnhearth
senpai

I just wanted to say (after my post got wiped, lovely) that I love seeing the balance of cringe and favorite moments shared on here. I know the original question wasn't meant to be negative, but the positive does help.

I agree that many of the "phan moments" fans use in compilations and edits are cringey if they are stuff taken out of context. I'd rather see them laughing and goofing around than "I love you Phil", "We're real friends! Yeah!" hug, "I'm special." "You are.", and "Did you ever think your dreams would come true." moments. However nothing gets me out of the mood faster than when an edit includes a photoshopped pic or fake tweet.

I can't think of any moments that haven't been mentioned. The Cat Face Drawing Game, DITLs and Baking vids all rank pretty high up there for me. I love Bubble Bobble and The Mark of Oxin for the reasons mentioned. And yes to Phil's side channel videos and all the soft, more "candid" moments.
tyhane wrote:And I really don't think I need to mention it seeing as it's my icon, but ya'll. Phil's "this week's twitter question is" bloopers video. Cured my acne, paid off my debt, brought my goldfish back to life, etc. etc.
Oh but you do need to mention it, because somehow I have no idea what you are talking about. Could you share a link please?

Re: TATINOF, I loved it the first time I watched it, was uncomfortable the second time and came to a place of acceptance and understanding the third. It's all personas and fan service but I'm still so proud of them. I do prefer the documentary though.

I'm good with the Some parts of the PINOFS can be quite cringe and make we want to do my own edit. The husband can't stand them, but the kiddo loves them. His pencil pouch for this school year feature whiskers with a heart nose, on a v. aesthetic grid background. (Why are grids aesthetic?)

I also agree that gifs can help with the cringe, like I have no desire to rewatch AmazingDan or the Truth or Dare videos, but I'll happily stare at a gif set or soundless clips because pretty boys.
twix
butt chair

it's not nearly as bad as the one 000dia000 posted, but if we're going to talk about awkward sponning this deserves an honorable mention
as far as great moments go, i love how hard dan's struggling and failing to look annoyed about the honey in bellybutton tweet (the dimples give him away) while phil sits and laughs
(@14:46)

... the conclusion i took from this interaction is that dan has definitely said that or something similar to it at one point but the backstory is way too weird/embarrassing/revealing to ever explain to the internet
autumnhearth wrote:
tyhane wrote:And I really don't think I need to mention it seeing as it's my icon, but ya'll. Phil's "this week's twitter question is" bloopers video. Cured my acne, paid off my debt, brought my goldfish back to life, etc. etc.
Oh but you do need to mention it, because somehow I have no idea what you are talking about. Could you share a link please?
it's this!

if you enjoyed that, there's one from 10 August 2011 in the DD called "speaking fail" that's in a similar vein :D
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

Cringe: Lots. The entirety of TATINOF is what I would say if I had ever watched the whole thing. Couldn't get through any tiny clip of transcript of it, I cringe at gifs and The Internet Is here makes me wanna dig a hole and bury myself in it for about a century. Dan's first few videos, especially the gimp one are pretty bad for me. So is Stalker Prank Call. And Phil's old music video for Toxic. People cream themselves over it and I'm here like nope. I don't really like interviews they've done for the BBC or The Brits either.

Favs: Even more of course But after over 5 years of active stanning naming specific moments is almost impossible for me. Especially when you're factoring in the radio show which has many great moments but it all blended together a little because of how much content there is. Same with live shows.
twix wrote: [tumblr] <div class="tumblr-post" data-href="https://embed.tumblr.com/embed/post/rOO ... 4045950968" data-did="da39a3ee5e6b4b0d3255bfef95601890afd80709">[/tumblr]
This was surprising to me. I don't know of any real person fandoms where the majority of active members read fanfic at least occasionally. Does anyone know of other fandoms that are like this?
I wanna say kpop fandoms? Specifically for the top boy groups, as the shipping there is more intense than with girl groups.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr