Dan & Phil Part 52: And They Were Roommates

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie
Pronouns: she/her

alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

awsugar wrote:all i knew about dream daddy prior to the video is the basic premise of dad dating and that lots of my friends have really enjoyed it. so going to it basically blind i actually liked this! i'm shocked by so many people saying they didn't and that deppy seem off or different. i didn't get that feeling at all. and as for sitting further away from each other, that's another thing i didn't notice. when i did notice their proximity it was only to note that they were sitting pretty closely together and almost completely touching arms at a few parts.
You bring up a really good point here! I saw people commenting Dan and Phil were further apart, but I think that's just the position the ipad was in. It was in the middle for most of the time because they were both reading which negated one of them leaning into the other's space while the other was controlling it. And you're right, their arms were basically touching at a few points.

I also had people ask why I thought they didn't look at each other, but it's already been established this game is hugely dialogue heavy. They spent all their time actually looking at the screen trying to read things and keep the pace strong to keep episode time down.
sugar
eclipse shirt
Pronouns: they/them

first time i've had my thread name suggestion picked! that's one of my favorite vines and it's just too perfect for that whole roommate comment. or just dans facial expression at that point in the video.

also, i'm not sure if anyone mentioned this but i have a theory as to why people who have watched other let's plays of this might find it boring or think that they were bored. i actually don't watch any other tourubers aside from beauty channels so i can't be certain but i think a lot of the others playing this game (markiplier, jacksepticeye, etc) are straight. so i think to them the concept of themselves playing a queer dating sim is probably...a bit humorous in its very nature. not in a homophobic way, just in a way that if you're straight and you're role playing as a dad seducing other dads there is a bit of humor there.

and i think that if you're actually queer (see: dan and phil) that added layer of humor just isn't there. which i think could maybe contribute to people seeing them as bored.

this is completely just theory and i may not have worded it right and i haven't seen any other videos of people playing this but it came to mind as one possible explanation.
danphilflipmypancake
smol bean

awsugar wrote:first time i've had my thread name suggestion picked! that's one of my favorite vines and it's just too perfect for that whole roommate comment. or just dans facial expression at that point in the video.

also, i'm not sure if anyone mentioned this but i have a theory as to why people who have watched other let's plays of this might find it boring or think that they were bored. i actually don't watch any other tourubers aside from beauty channels so i can't be certain but i think a lot of the others playing this game (markiplier, jacksepticeye, etc) are straight. so i think to them the concept of themselves playing a queer dating sim is probably...a bit humorous in its very nature. not in a homophobic way, just in a way that if you're straight and you're role playing as a dad seducing other dads there is a bit of humor there.

and i think that if you're actually queer (see: dan and phil) that added layer of humor just isn't there. which i think could maybe contribute to people seeing them as bored.

this is completely just theory and i may not have worded it right and i haven't seen any other videos of people playing this but it came to mind as one possible explanation.
I've watched Mark's playthrough and a smidgen of Jack's and I definitely agree with you. Mark and Jack are pretty solidly straight (right? If I'm wrong let me know) so I think they didn't have any pressure to react a certain way. They could be cheesy and joke around about their favorite dads whereas Deppy's actions are so analyzed at every moment and I think they took that into account. Love the dads too much and everyone proclaims they're coming out. Tone down the humor/love and everyone thinks they're bored. Kind of a lose-lose situation. I personally loved their kind of rushed, commentary heavy playthrough since I've been watching Mark's and really just wanted to see their take on the game versus just watching for the story.
mermaid blood
Moderator Emeritus

awsugar wrote:also, i'm not sure if anyone mentioned this but i have a theory as to why people who have watched other let's plays of this might find it boring or think that they were bored. i actually don't watch any other tourubers aside from beauty channels so i can't be certain but i think a lot of the others playing this game (markiplier, jacksepticeye, etc) are straight. so i think to them the concept of themselves playing a queer dating sim is probably...a bit humorous in its very nature. not in a homophobic way, just in a way that if you're straight and you're role playing as a dad seducing other dads there is a bit of humor there.

this is a view i share and also why there's so much opportunity for games like this to be played in a problematic way.

it's for this reason i thought they did a fantastic job! like, kudos. this CANNOT be easy for them. despite how much they've progressed and relaxed, especially very recently it feels, this is a big deal - they simply wouldn't have played something with this premise on the gaming channel two, even one year ago. and if they did, i suspect they would've incorporated some of that 'humour' in a protective way. the fact they didn't, and pointed out no incongruence with what the game was asking of them and their natural instincts, can't be understated. that's huge for any ambiguous/glass-closeted (i want to give them credit here) couple, but especially them.

40 continuous minutes of letting their guard down as opposed to smaller moments we've experienced before is taxing, so i'll allow any feeling that they were a bit stiffer than usual. i could feel the nerves palpably at the beginning, and every time they stumbled on words. despite this there were many genuine moments of enjoyment, they started to relax. they both connected to the qualities of one of the male characters and weren't shy about it, and that reveals a lot. to have your only takeaway they were 'bored' seeming, says to me perhaps the viewer is not as self-aware of what they're actually watching or the context, even if they are a big fan.

phil being hesitant to do the dad voice, suggesting dan do it instead and that he'd be 'better' at amanda's voice, was verrrry interesting to me. in way that isn't straight forward, either. i need to read some other opinions on that part.

Another kudos to Game Grumps; i knew nothing about this game so i admit my expectations were very low. it's not presented as ironic gameplay, it's not a homophobic joke. and it isn't hypersexualised (though i don't know if it gets mature rated later on). these things must be a part of why they decided to play it - either when they researched it beforehand, or when they settled into the tone and were pleasantly surprised it was indeed supposed to be a sincere and respectful storyline. maybe this IS the reason we're seeing it - if they've moved past wanting to insinuate an ironic gap between queer culture and lives and themselves, and don't want to make a joke of anything that could potentially reflect their own dating story and relationship, this was the right choice. the timing is good for them. i say this mostly because they're obviously struggling a bit right now, going back and forth between shared bedroom insinuations and transparency in their living arrangements. there's impulsiveness from both of them, and then it's reigned back in, only to repeat itself. interesting times.
art in avatar by lily
scientia
phabergé

I just have to figure that they both knew they'd be under a lot of scrutiny while playing this game. They had to know that people would be watching for their every reaction to anything related to their player character's sexual orientation and anything about relationships/dating. Kudos to them for not devolving into overblown/overacted caricatures of their online personas...I'd rather have what we got than the alternative.
kalli
butt chair

They said earlier in the year (or late last year? whenever they asked for game suggestions) that they weren't as interested in doing longer let's plays, so it's possible they're making it intentionally fast-paced in order to be condensed into less videos. Their speediness in combination with both being quite relaxed in this video, it never crossed my mind that they weren't enjoying the game but I can see how people perceived it that way. I really liked the video and I'm happy to see them play a game like this, but I hope they slow it down just a little bit in future parts.

Also, I keep reading Dilddy as Diddly and all I can think of is Ned Flanders
twix
butt chair

mermaid blood wrote: phil being hesitant to do the dad voice, suggesting dan do it instead and that he'd be 'better' at amanda's voice, was verrrry interesting to me. in way that isn't straight forward, either. i need to read some other opinions on that part.
my take is that phil is not at all confident when it comes to flirting, especially verbally, and he just didn't want to do it/rationalized that dan would be more comfortable and convincing.

[tumblr] <div class="tumblr-post" data-href="https://embed.tumblr.com/embed/post/rOO ... 3777208151" data-did="da39a3ee5e6b4b0d3255bfef95601890afd80709">[/tumblr]
[tumblr] <div class="tumblr-post" data-href="https://embed.tumblr.com/embed/post/rOO ... 3755638409" data-did="da39a3ee5e6b4b0d3255bfef95601890afd80709">[/tumblr]
So these two are interesting taken side by side. looks like lots of viewers project onto dan & although people don't quite 'get' phil in the same way they still want to be friends with him. (i haven't crunched out the numbers so idk for sure but i'm pretty sure it's not statistically significant but) in fact, when compared to dan, more people overall indicated that they'd like to have phil as a friend. which probably is itself part of dan-projection.

[tumblr] <div class="tumblr-post" data-href="https://embed.tumblr.com/embed/post/rOO ... 3766043677" data-did="da39a3ee5e6b4b0d3255bfef95601890afd80709">[/tumblr]
i'm wondering if there's a distinct cluster of about 2000 hardcore phil trashcans who picked him for every question. placed in consideration with the info discussed last thread showing that there's ~3700 (~15% of total) survey takers who have been watching phil since 2009 or earlier (which is a long-ass time), i'm also wondering if this is a situation where the people who indicate a phil-preference aren't a huge segment of dnp fanbase but are relatively intense about their preference.

edit: embedding fail
Last edited by twix on Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
kai
smol bean

i mean idk about the 'bored' vs. 'into it but self aware' debate bc im useless at reading their moods, but the real takeaway from this video is that not owning a dog is starting to cause them actual physical pain, lmao. the highlight of the entire video for me was 'toddlers-' 'not interested' 'dogs-' 'INTERESTED'. for their sake (and for the sake of my need to live vicariously through anyone who is currently able to own a dog) i hope they get into that forever home soon !!!

(definitely agree though that them being very aware of how closely the entire video will be analysed would've affected their behaviour at least a little bit, but. you could say that about pretty much every video they've posted in the last few years, so to me it just feels like they're doing the same thing they've always done, which is sharing exactly what they're comfortable with us getting our hooks into, and nothing more. the boundaries are still there, just more relaxed on a surface level these days.)
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

I don't have too much to say about the Dream Daddy video, only that I really enjoyed it. It felt like a more rational, enjoyable Horse Prince, but maybe that's because I went in with zero knowledge of the game.

A few moments stood out to me that I wanted to touch on:

At 8:11, when they decide that Dilddy's previous SO was a father, they (namely Phil) are fairly calm about the decision and then, if you just keep an eye on Dan.... It just sort of feels like he gets nervous/defensive all of the sudden and aggressively yells, "No mums must exist in this universe!!!" IDK. I found it really strange. Appreciated Phil moving on quickly.

Phil's reaction to the corgi at 14:05 is potentially the cutest thing: "A corgi!! Of all the dogs..." (Because of course, he's spent the last 2 years talking Dan's ear off about why corgis are the best breed and why it's definitely the one they should adopt and hey, look, this game supports that decision and Dan can you please just agree to a corgi already...)

I loved it. I want more.

ETA: Also shout-out to 24:40 and Dan's cute, natural laugh when Phil says "stools" instead of "couches". It felt like a real, warm, off-camera type moment and shot me back to old-school Dan.
Last edited by rizzo on Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:48 am, edited 3 times in total.
danphilflipmypancake
smol bean

What did people make of Phil's "Look him up on facebook" comment to the "I miss him" part at the beginning? Seems like an odd progression to first think he's still around look him up, to then realizing he could be dead, or they've broken up, when they know they're playing a dad dating simulator so presumably there wouldn't be an SO around from the get go? Idk it was an odd moment and I'm not sure how to wrap my head around it.
Sinister Shipper
drama llama

So apparently Phil's name on the end card has been edited from AmazingPhil to AmazingDad - why change it now, I'm not sure when it was changed but it was AmazingPhil last I checked about 3 hours ago.
autumnhearth
senpai

Kudos to D&P for giving the fans what they wanted! I'm sorry to hear some of you didn't laugh/weren't feeling it. I was dying for the first 15 mins at least and I just had to do timestamps. I do agree that Phil seemed tired and by the end when he was asking if others were into it, he didn't seem into it himself, but I think he was just done for the day and Dan was being a bit over the top at the end. I really do hope they continue.

One thing I will keep visible is a moment I didn't see anyone else mention. During the eye selection.

4:30 "Can you just have heart eyes the entire game?"- Dan
4:31 "The whole time."- Phil
4:32 "Is that just going to ruin the game?"- Phil
4:33 "Would that be slightly distracting?"- Dan

I'm sure it has nothing to with anything but...
0:00 Phil is wearing his rainbow zebra shirt!
0:03 Wow was that second "daddies" necessary Phil?
0:42 "Cause you know Dan and Phil they like to have the raw naked-"-Dan
0:45 "Immersion"- Phil
0:46 "They just like to go in-"- Dan
0:47 "Are you saying we're going to have to be blurring some things-"- Phil
0:48 "Bare. What?"- Dan
0:58 "Give me that Daddiest graphics"- Phil
1:00 "Oh it's like Yuri on Ice"- Dan
1:10 Phil will be a long haired vampire in ten years.
1:25 "Phil don't do your chin like that, you're fine."- Dan
2:07 "Is that your best dad voice?"- Dan
2:14 "Do you wanna be Dad?"- Phil
2:15 "Phil, everyone wants you to be Dad."- Dan (the honest truth)
2:34 "Moving house? Oh my god!"- Dan
2:45 "Coordinating the headband with the nails."- Dan
2:46 "Definitely."- Phil
2:53 Phil's yawn, wtf was that?
2:55 "Are you American now?"- Dan
2:56 "I don't knoww."- Phil
3:03 "Build that Dad!"- in sync
3:30 "Dilddy! No?"- Phil (Dan's face.)
3:36 "Yeah sure. Let's not think about that anymore Phil."- Dan
4:04 "Thor. We just made Thor by accident."- Phil
4:07 "Ah the bun hair."- Dan
4:08 "Man bun."- Phil
4:09 "That's very like modern dad aesthetic."
4:12 "That's quite Dil-y"- Phil
4:13 "That's the most Dil-esque, I think."- Dan
4:19 "Heart eyes."- Phil
4:20 "SENPAI!!!"- Dan
4:30 "Can you just have heart eyes the entire game?"- Dan (mmm hmm)
4:31 "The whole time."- Phil
4:32 "Is that just going to ruin the game?"- Phil
4:33 "Would that be slightly distracting?"- Dan
4:58 "Noman Rose."- Phil
5:10 They love the lips, sassy mouths
5:39 "He banged it on some kind of exercise equipment."- Phil
5:40 "Wrestling another dad for territory."- Dan
5:45 "Yes!"- Phil is excited by facial hair options
5:50 "More people should have black hair and blonde beards."- justifying your ginger eyebrows Phil?
5:51 Dan has to think a second before agreeing
5:55 Hunger Games aesthetic, okay.
6:00 "I asked you yesterday if you'd grow a full beard. If you wanted to. Like what's your answer to that question?"- Phil, I'm going to cry.
6:04 "What in like twenty years?"- Dan
6:05 "Yeah."- Phil
6:05 "Yeah, sure. I'll give it a crack."- Dan
6:06 "Do you think you'll ever have a full beard?"- Phil
6:09 "Ever?"- D
6:10 "Ever."- P
6:10 "Yeah, maybe in like ten years when I finish going through puberty."- Dan
6:13 "I kinda wanna try."- Phil wants to try a beard people! And it might be a different color than his fringe. I see.
6:15 "This is the best part!"- Phil on clothing
6:19 "Can't you just like have nothing?"- Phil (for underroos apparently)
6:22 "Captain America! Yes!"- Phil (nice six pointed star)
6:25 "Egg nips. I mean totally I can see that."- Dan
6:31 Phil saying "Daddy Dil"
6:35 "Cats! With a suit jacket."- Phil (we have a winner)
6:43 I agree with Dan about that pattern, it reminds me of party centers and roller rinks. Phil with the Saved by the Bell reference.
7:00 "Goals. As the kids would say."- Dan
7:26 "Be that dad. The dad you always dreamed to be."- Dan
7:28 "Now do we get to date some dads?"- Phil Lester asking the important questions.
7:58 Phil's second child syndrome
8:13 "No mum's must exist in this universe!"
8:35 "I was just given a bin bag and some sticky stars to say I was a 'wizard'. Yeah."- Phil, dang cheap Lesters
8:43 "Princess Dragon!"- in sync
8:45 Dan would watch a scaley fairytale movie
9:05 "I wish I had a horse phase."- Dan (I'm glad I did)
9:09 "Or a Horse Prince phase."- Phil
9:11 "Oh we all had that."- Dan
9:20 "Why aren't we going to McFridayz?"- Phil
9:50 Adopted +1
10:00 Kangaroo existential crisis
10:19 "Hit me."- Dan
10:25 "He knows what to do."- Dan (getting really into it)
10:30 "Yeah. Then what?"- squeaky over dramatic Dan
10:35 "And then he ran away with a kangaroo."- Phil
10:44 "Just look him up on Facebook! Or did he die?"- Phil
11:02 "The old house!"- fake crying Dan
11:05 Hawaiian backstories
11:15 Hydration "I can get behind this."- Dan
11:22 Phil, waving your hands in the air where Dan sneezes is not going to keep the germs away. Maybe if you both actually covered.
11:33 Everyone does bicep curls in this Daddy themed universe
12:12 Dil Howlter house without the owl slide
12:44 "Dogs!"- Phil
12:48 "CLICK!"- Dan
12:55 Dog to person ratio should be the highest thing on the agenda for any neighborhood
13:11 "Side quest!"- Dan
13:11 "Dog quest!"- Phil
13:12 "Dog time! I'm here for some cute drawn dogs."- Dan
13:16 Woofing song to the tune of Katamari?
13:27 "What is this idyllic pastel utopia that they're living in right now, honestly."- Dan
13:30 "Where's the diseased pigeons?"- Phil
13:47 "DOGS! NOT INTERESTED! INTERESTED!"- Dan
13:52 Panting puppies D&P
14:05 "A corgi! Of all the dogs!"- Phil (this is the only reason he agreed to play this game)
14:14 "Delet this doggo."- Dan
14:20 "Bork!"
14:26 "Oh god this is the cutest dog. Can we just do dog adoption simulator instead?"- Phil
14:30 "Pet the dog!"- Phil
14:58 "Woah! Irish father of my children!"- Dan
15:13 Gruff and slightly offensive leprechaun
15:18 Puppy role play
15:25 Aubergines come out
15:35 Phil apologizes for "Dilddy"
16:05 Dan loves the freckle representation
16:22 "Oh my god it's a Dad Child Proud Of Brag Off"- Dan (very Undertale)
17:33 "Bam. Amazing."- Dan, "Slapped."- Phil
19:55 "I'm torn though cause he has a corgi."- Phil
19:57 "He has a corgi, but
19:58 "Can we not just date him to hang out with the corgi?"- Phil
20:01 "Can we date him, adopt the corgi and then break up with him?"- Dan
20:04 "Yes!"- Phil
20:33 "I mean let's just get our own corgi. Let's adopt a corgi. (With no limbs?)"- Dan (does he mean limitations, like restricted by dating?)
21:07 Dan would read horse fan-fiction.
21:36 Chocolate coffee beans btw
21:11 "Why would people sit next to you, they always do that though don't they?"- Dan
"Am I being helpful or am I cluttering up everyone's lives?"
22:44 "Oh my god,"- Dan
22:45 "Another Dad."- Phil
22:46 "With the ta- the glasses, the hair, the piercing."- Dan
22:49 "Good layering. On the outfit."- Phil
22:51 "Definitely."- Dan
23:00 Dan doesn't like the "too cool" vibe.
23:13 Husky voice
23:38 Dan would not be able to hold a conversation with this guy in real life.
23:48 Iced Tegan and Sara (yay!)
23:02 Phil got the pun!
24:49 Couches
24:50 "Okay Amanda, wow. Life isn't all about listening to cool music. It's about enjoying the music that you like."- Dan
25:00 Good lumbar support is important. It's comfier than their couch. Giggle.
25:48 "Okay I'm about this."- Dan
25:50 "He's got food!"- Phil
25:53 "Yes. Tick that box."- Phil
27:08 Phil likes his awkwardness while
27:10 Dan is on the fence: "I don't know how to feel. Runs a coffee shop, bit of a hipster, is socially awkward, gives you banana bread. I think it's looking mostly good."
27:27 "Ohhhh."- in sync
28:00 "Wow. Are we adults? Cause we just moved recently."- Yes Da, you are adults.
28:08 "Do I smell bad?"- Phil
28:09 "Noo."- Dan with a quick sniff, barely leaning in, he clearly already knew the answer.
28:16 They agree that the dark and mysterious stranger is the most intriguing part of the story.
28:30 Acknowledging that they still have boxes
28:42 Pink duck, succulents and XBox 360 "Nice"- Phil
28:56 "Get the hell out of my life!"- Dan
29:00 "He's too perfect already."- Phil
29:08 "Robot. Robot. Robot."- Phil
29:36 "Guffaw"- Dan
30:13 Yeah just move again guys
30:28 Phil feels bad for kangaroo jokes earlier.
31:11 Phil likes the do over time flipping reset thing.
31:33 Louise story mention.
32:18 "What is that wink?"- Dan
32:30 "All of these daddies are mixed bags."- Dan desk slamming returns
32:40 "He's a bloody angel. He's an angel."- Dan
32:42 "He's got a dark secret."- Phil
32:44 "But also angels are terrible. Stop feeling bad by comparing yourself to an angel."- Dan
32:48 "Dark secret."- Phil
33:07 "Plot twizzle."- Dan
33:45 "They are definitely possessed. I told you, dark secret."- Phil
34:05 "Christie, Christian and Chris. Wow."- Dan
34:08 "Evil"- Phil
34:09 "Definitely."- Dan
34:28 Exorcist
34:34 "Time for the nappy ding dong."- Dan
35:01 "Bro"- Dan "Bro"- Phil
35:20 That look
35:22 "Old college roommate"- Phil
35:23 "Just sayin"- Dan
35:35 "River. Oh my god."- Dan
35:42 Nice baby gurgling Dan
35:51 "Survived that hazing together."- Dan
36:00 Phil enjoying the matching eyebrows
36:06 Maybe they got that scar together, doing something, as roommates."- Dan
36:30 "Copacabana."- Dan
36:50 "Clearly we didn't have the American college experience. We did the Smirrinoff Slam."- Dan
37:05 Jogging with baby
37:12 "Wow. Dilddy is just every person probably on the internet and YouTube, in the community watching this."- Dan
37:25 "Wow. So relatable."- Dan
37:30 "How is he so ripped if he never jogs though?"- Phil (umm you selected that body type and said he works out.)
37:37 "Bro brunch."- Phil, "A bro brunch?!"- Dan
"Why do we never have bro brunches?"- Dan, "I don't know"-Phil
"What the hell is a bro brunch?"- Dan, "I don't know."- Phil
37:52 "Jog on Craig."- Phil, "Jog on Craig? Jesus."- Dan
38:18 "I mean, there's like, stuff in that, isn't there."- Yes Dan, tomatoes.
41:01 "The blonde guy."
41:10 Phil likes coffee shop guy. Dan is unsure, too cool.
41:30 Dan likes the blonde, confidence, wants to make you happy, "that's who Dilddy needs in his life, at this important time." Dear god Dan.
Phil still thinks he's a robot with satanic children.
41:51 Gee Phil you don't seem into it.
42:08 "Thumb it", tickle, etc.
42:45 "Get a dog."
Ohhh I would love it if they do an at least partially joint liveshow. I miss them even just dropping in on each other. (Today I watched Dan's very first YouNow and about half of his second one before I saw DD was up and I was blown away by all of his queer pop culture mentions and comfort with male attraction. Like wow. There were a couple small phan denials but, he could have easily been read as openly bisexual, which changed drastically in shows later that year which I've had to exit out of because they made me so uncomfortable. What a difference. Damn.)

I wonder if we will get any hints tomorrow/this weekend as to why they didn't attend SITC. So nice to see them playing tour guides though. And yay Wicked! (I don't think I've posted here since that Tweet.)

I think when I took the survey I might have answered that I was more attracted to Dan, but honestly in the last couple months I've been much more attracted to Phil. That man is beautiful. I still might answer both though. It depends on the video. (Had a nice discussion about this with the hubs, who thinks Phil would look good with a ponytail.)
somethingsketchy
janice from the shop

I'll be forever salty that "Drinking Kool-Aid from a vase" didn't get picked as the thread title. You people just don't appreciate Phil enough. He deserves some dragging, too, but it's always just about Dan, isn't it?
mermaid blood
Moderator Emeritus

Katka wrote: (Also monolid eyes are not sneaky, what the fuck even was that comment, can we not go there.) 
I also cringed and had to pause to make sure i heard that part right; then i realised it was an unfortunate sentence string. i genuinely don't think he was conflating the two. but identifying the toggled option by a physicality common to non-white people, and then saying immediately after what you liked about it (with an existing problematic cliche, nonetheless) has the effect of it basically sounding like that anyway.

also around this time, Phil @ 4.42 - 'it's a bit more cool and sexy'
it's subtle things like this, Phil choosing expressions on a male face he feels are conveying sexiness, that make me realise how much he's redefining his boundaries lately?
kai wrote:(definitely agree though that them being very aware of how closely the entire video will be analysed would've affected their behaviour at least a little bit, but. you could say that about pretty much every video they've posted in the last few years, so to me it just feels like they're doing the same thing they've always done, which is sharing exactly what they're comfortable with us getting our hooks into, and nothing more. the boundaries are still there, just more relaxed on a surface level these days.)
totally agree, boundaries are and will always be there, we're just witnessing them shift.
this one/this series (if they continue) isn't the same thing they've always done though; they're being analysed not on indirect behaviour but on very direct contextualised responses that they can't tip-toe around. i'm not sure how many people commenting are queer, but it's a type of anxiety that's inexplicable. even if you're secure in yourself, it pops up at the weirdest times when new situations are presented. being ambiguously closeted in plain sight only adds to the confusion. like the 'copacetic' correction, in another video Phil would've had a bigger grin on his face or a little playful teasing with Dan. if he was disinterested or disapproving of the video that would've provided comedic relief, a break in the vibe, but instead he reacted almost distractedly/impatiently which tells me he was still in that 'flight or fight' on-edge buzz, albeit a low level one.

Dan's behaviour in the same headspace is more unpredictable, bumbly and verbal, which is how i interpreted the reason for this:
rizzo wrote: At 8:11, when they decide that Dilddy's previous SO was a father, they (namely Phil) are fairly calm about the decision and then, if you just keep an eye on Dan.... It just sort of feels like he gets nervous/defensive all of the sudden and aggressively yells, "No mums must exist in this universe!!!" IDK. I found it really strange. Appreciated Phil moving on quickly.
rizzo wrote: Also shout-out to 24:40 and Dan's cute, natural laugh when Phil says "stools" instead of "couches". It felt like a real, warm, off-camera type moment and shot me back to old-school Dan.
heh, you're so right. i would describe that as old-school too, it's funny how that descriptor makes sense (especially in conjunction with 'off camera') but is hard to define.

Sinister Shipper, yeah: I agree with previous posters saying he means he forgot to put Phil's link another time and just pasted the joke name twice, but the Phil got mad thing is amusing as he can't really say that sort of thing casually without people overanalysing as a first reaction (myself included). i doubt phil got actually mad.

it's way cuter if you believe it was deliberate, that Phil is a daddy and nothing needed to be changed about his name. doesn't fully work with Phil's reluctance in the video at being assumed the dad role, though. i wonder if that does genuinely bother Phil a bit, the expectation?

his wanting to experiment with facial hair doesn't indicate concern over visual stereotypes however. i like how he brought up they'd already discussed this the day before - surely he knows Dan's hair growth slows down after the stubble stage so was he asking a faux question to introduce the idea and gauge response for himself? just do it, Phil. don't do a Julien Solomita though, please.
art in avatar by lily
interruptfireworks
delia smith

i really loved the new gaming video!! it was so funny & i was really excited for them to play dd after seeing an episode of mark's play through of it and i wasn't let down.

i honestly don't see how people thought they weren't interested in the game????? maybe i'm oblivious; although i do see how people say they must be aware of how people will react to them, sexually ambiguous guys who have a large shipping fandom, playing a game about a guy going on dates with other guys. that must've been a lil nerve wracking i guess.... i certainly would've been a lil hyper aware.

i've said this before but i just really like that they played this bc i know when i first found them in 2014 they would've never dared played this, probably ignore the suggestions for it even though they seemed to be getting more comfortable with each other & their audience (if that even makes sense).

all i've been thinking about these past few days is WHEN WILL WE FIND OUT WHAT HAPPENED IN MARCH AND WHAT IS THIS SUPPOSED PROJECT OR /THING/ THEY'RE DOING??????? i feel like maybe they'll talk about it in phil's liveshow on tuesday as dan said he may pop in so...... that'll be interesting........ i hope i haven't gotten my hopes up now. :thumb:
Sinister Shipper
drama llama

Sinister Shipper, yeah:
I saw that tweet & Dan's comment right when they were tweeted & I noticed the end tags when I watched the video when it was first posted but I guess at that point when I saw it for the second time, it was around 3am London time, so after 7 or 8 hours of the video being posted, why not just leave it? Not that it matters one way or the other, I just thought it was odd that it was changed so long after it was originally posted.
nøx
spork

Loved this vid, had a grand ol' time with it! Pretty happy with the fast pacing as I've already played the game through about 5 times, so I was worried the whole introduction part would be really boring, but their bants made it worth it Perhaps knowing the game is what really made it for me in the end, it made a lot of their comments much more fun and interesting ahah.

As for the dads, I hope they romance Damien or Hugo, none of which we have met yet. Or Brian. Minor game spoiler below.
Brian with his ferris wheel scene.
Major spoiler about a bad ending that was not included in the game (for now?)
I wish we could watch them play Joseph's evil demon ending. You don't know how right you are, Phil.
Elyanie
dank meme

(When I tried to post this the website or my browser f-ed up and I lost everything I wrote so I'm gonna have to right it all over again )

I think I enjoyed the video, everyone's responses have made rethink a bit though I should probably rewatch it. I didn't notice the part about the roommates until someone made a joke on tumblr about it and I've been dying over it since.
I actually really like their longer videos, I'm always meh when I see the time stamp of 40min+ but I find some time to watch it, and I tend to like them more than a regular video, i.e. I ended up really liking the undertale videos.

[offtopic]I watched this one with a friend when we both got the notif this morning and we were both giggly messes the whole time watching deppy videos with other fans is the best. I'm planning to ask her out next time I see her, and if I mention it here I hopefully wont chicken out, please give me your courage I'm horrid at these things .[/offtopic]
You are happy when you feel like you're being authentic
kai
smol bean

mermaid blood wrote:
kai wrote:(definitely agree though that them being very aware of how closely the entire video will be analysed would've affected their behaviour at least a little bit, but. you could say that about pretty much every video they've posted in the last few years, so to me it just feels like they're doing the same thing they've always done, which is sharing exactly what they're comfortable with us getting our hooks into, and nothing more. the boundaries are still there, just more relaxed on a surface level these days.)
totally agree, boundaries are and will always be there, we're just witnessing them shift.
this one/this series (if they continue) isn't the same thing they've always done though; they're being analysed not on indirect behaviour but on very direct contextualised responses that they can't tip-toe around. i'm not sure how many people commenting are queer, but it's a type of anxiety that's inexplicable. even if you're secure in yourself, it pops up at the weirdest times when new situations are presented. being ambiguously closeted in plain sight only adds to the confusion. like the 'copacetic' correction, in another video Phil would've had a bigger grin on his face or a little playful teasing with Dan. if he was disinterested or disapproving of the video that would've provided comedic relief, a break in the vibe, but instead he reacted almost distractedly/impatiently which tells me he was still in that 'flight or fight' on-edge buzz, albeit a low level one.
oh yeah, i mean this video/potential series is definitely different in that it's explicitly queer/centred around queer relationships and that probably 100% has an effect on how aware of audience reaction they are. i'm (mostly) comfortable with my queerness and fairly vocally out and that anxiety still happens for me often enough, so i'm sure it's infinitely more stressful on them in their much more complicated situation! i just didn't see their slightly different behaviour as anything other than their usual self awareness being a little bit more present than usual bc of that context (basically i'm pretty sure i agree with you and just didn't word it that well lmao)
missemma
#teamshavedsides
#teamshavedsides

bookfiend wrote:I feel like people aren't acknowledging this enough.

Dan:you know dan and phil, they like to have the raw, naked, experience. They just like to go in. Bare.
Phil:are you saying we're going to have to be blurring some things out?

We're not even a minute in calm the heck down boys.

Also Phil growing a beard. An interesting concept, to go with his new hair style maybe?
Same! How is this not talked about more.
Also, yes Phil, grow that full on beard.

Regarding the video, I made it to the 17 minute mark and then had fallen asleep (I only woke up as my phone whacked me full on in the face oops). I thought it was boring tbh and won't be watching it again. I didn't find them particularly funny and it felt flat to me. I hadn't watched any Daddy Dating videos before either so wasn't spoilt, just not my thing I think.

I'm more interested in this joint liveshow Thursday (not particular joint Dan said he will pop in) as shows like this always come with some kind of announcement haha!
:prideheart: :gayaf: :prideheart:
citizen_erased
truth bomb

Elyanie wrote: [offtopic]I watched this one with a friend when we both got the notif this morning and we were both giggly messes the whole time watching deppy videos with other fans is the best. I'm planning to ask her out next time I see her, and if I mention it here I hopefully wont chicken out, please give me your courage I'm horrid at these things .[/offtopic]
Omg good luck!! You can do this!
Countllamas
phillion/danosaur <//3

I just saw this:

I cracked up, this was so funny to me. I bet Dan would appreciate :D
MaggieW
glabella

hello9217 wrote:I'm sorry but can we talk about how Phil said Mat, the coffee shop guy, is his favorite. Like Mat is basically Dan- he likes music and puns and is socially awkward.
And Dan saying that the one he prefers is the nice dad, even if it's kind of robotic. Like Phil. (jk) Sorry this doesn't add very much to the conversation, I just couldn't help myself

Anyways, I enjoyed the video so much! I was looking forward to it, I like this type of games and I've been avoiding spoilers to get the full experience. Also, I didn't get the vibe that they were not enjoying it? They seemed interested in the game, to me. Maybe it's not crash bandicoot level of interest, but still it's not like with the flash games where they seem quite done with it.

Hoping for another one! :thumb:
relatablemood
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

Elyanie wrote:
[offtopic]I'm planning to ask her out next time I see her, and if I mention it here I hopefully wont chicken out, please give me your courage I'm horrid at these things .[/offtopic]
Good luck to you!! Honestly, if she's your friend, there'll be a good outcome no matter what happens. But you'll never have any chance of one of those good outcomes or BEST outcome if you don't go for it! Ah, I have too much love for friends turned lovers, in my own life and others. Thanks

On the theory of them being more anxious about the content of the game and how their reactions to it might reflect on their own sexualities, I have to say that I'd agree with it more as Phil's thing. I think Dan was actually quite interested in getting to know the daddies and making jokes (not saying Phil wasn't, he was just more vocal) which I guess is glass closet Dan vs robot Phil there.
i want dan's hair and phil's hips