Dan & Phil Part 52: And They Were Roommates

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

That artwork is amazing, I love her style so much. The GBBO Junior idea is so cute, but yeah, persona-heavy presenting would be annoying. Roll on Thursday's liveshow, though I doubt they'll have any more to tell us. It might just be a one-off interview after all.
simmehchan
butt chair
Pronouns: she/her

I doubt it's GBBO. I mean, it's just moved to Channel 4 and Sue Perkins refused to move with it, so it would be a bit awkward if it's about GBBO to have a former presenter who's not going to be on the Channel 4 one?

"I think stalking someone to become their friend is rather weird" - Phil Lester, 2006
SquishPhan
capita£ester

alittledizzy wrote:Some really cool art Phil reblogged:
Wow that artwork really is cool and beautiful. :D

Also I don't care that we aren't getting a Dan live show today, if he we are getting a joint one on Thursday.
Last edited by mermaid blood on Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: broken code
Susanisnotafish
flower crown

I haven't been around very long, so I don't know if it is unusual for flipside to announce something deppy related instead of them doing it themselves? Feels weird to me, like deppy aren't that into it. At least with Cool for Summer we know they were in it for the Australia and Singapore vacations. I'm so irked with Dan and his last minute cancellations. I like to know in advance so I'm not looking forward and then disappointed. A joint will be good but prob only 45 minutes and a Dan show is completely different. At least maybe dream daddy tomorrow?
"Rub those freckles all over me!" --Daniel Howell
thephandommenace
procrastinator
Pronouns: they/them

[offtopic][/offtopic]
nihilist-toothpaste
drama llama

thephandommenace wrote:[offtopic][/offtopic]
this was kind of funny and interesting to watch but damn the comments are cringeeee as heck. i've never quite understood why people feel the need to defend phil in this way? isn't it more embarrassing to be patronized in this sidelong fashion than to watch ppl say they enjoy watching your partner and his content lmao (assuming phil would ever even watch this which in itself is ,, a stretch ahaha)
bookfiend
spork

Dan and Phil potentially doing something on mainstream TV is an interesting concept.

Sounds like its time for some conspiracy theories! *Putting on my deerstalker hat and channeling my inner Holmes*
Millenials on average watch 35% less live TV shows than older generations do. Mainstream TV is probably wetting itself in fear at the moment because as it's slowly failing to appeal to younger generations and they're realising their current audience won't last forever. How do you appeal to an audience that just isn't going to be enticed by your usual presenters? Why bring in talent that they do like and have conveniently have the experience already.

Dan and Phil had a meeting earlier in the year with the BBC where it clearly didn't go to plan and money was an issue on both fronts. (The BBC have been losing a lot of shows, live sporting events and stars due to this same issue). But perhaps it wasn't just about the radio show? Maybe as someone mentioned earlier Deppy have an idea, a pilot for a show that BBC weren't interested in, but that doesn't mean another channel wouldn't be. Especially as D&P come with their own pre-built millennial audience.

Alright I'm done with being weird for the moment, I'll go eat some ice cream, chill and lower my expectations by like 75% :lol:
human
dan hand trash

sparkle wrote:Someone tell me its a really bad idea to spend £70 to get a train at 6.45 am to go to Edinburgh for literally 3 hours.
(hasn't also looked at the cost of flying - £147 - and the coach - £32 but means getting a coach at 1am.... and getting back at 3am)
Lemme know if you do hahaha because same. I got a ticket thinking at least one friend was going and would be a mad person with me, but now I've realise they aren't haha.
liola
rankussy

Quick question, I remember someone talked about Phil liking random romantic fanarts on tumblr every now and then, is there a compilation of this or something? I was looking at their likes and i'm really curious about it
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
Vanderlyle
spork

bookfiend wrote: Dan and Phil had a meeting earlier in the year with the BBC where it clearly didn't go to plan and money was an issue on both fronts. (The BBC have been losing a lot of shows, live sporting events and stars due to this same issue). But perhaps it wasn't just about the radio show? Maybe as someone mentioned earlier Deppy have an idea, a pilot for a show that BBC weren't interested in, but that doesn't mean another channel wouldn't be.
i was tapped out of the active fandom for a while due to moving across country and starting grad school etc (i saw tatinof in nyc and watched videos but i wasn't active in a forum for most of 2016 like i had been in years past) - can someone point me to where i can glean more info on their parting with the bbc? i was pretty bummed about it - i was proud of them for their work there, but i know they want to grow. i would just like to know the juicy details

also, all jokes/ conspiracies aside, i don't really think the edinburgh thing is an announcement - as i mentioned earlier, these kinds of collaborations and "chat" shows are common for the Edinburgh Festival

edit - although, i have now been upgraded to "delia smith" so the baking conspiracy signs continue
nerdysporks
crusty sponge
Pronouns: she/her or they/them

The blurb on the website about the interview says "Join them for a free-flowing and funny chat about fame, resisting definition, comedy and cakes." https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/the-grea ... 6823383732

I know there's a lot of ambiguity when it comes to the terms "resisting definition" and that it's being discussed a lot in the Phandom right now but especially in light of Deppy's (specifically dan's) resistance towards defining their sexualities, and given that the individual interviewing them is somewhat of an LGBT icon in London, I think it's definitely probable that some of the discussion will center around sexuality
confusedpanda
ar·tic·u·late
Pronouns: Her/she

nerdysporks wrote:The blurb on the website about the interview says "Join them for a free-flowing and funny chat about fame, resisting definition, comedy and cakes." https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/the-grea ... 6823383732

I know there's a lot of ambiguity when it comes to the terms "resisting definition" and that it's being discussed a lot in the Phandom right now but especially in light of Deppy's (specifically dan's) resistance towards defining their sexualities, and given that the individual interviewing them is somewhat of an LGBT icon in London, I think it's definitely probable that some of the discussion will center around sexuality
"Resisting definition" in this context is not about labeling sexuality, but about them not being label as to what they do in the entertainment field. They're not just actors or producers for example, they've done a lot of different types of things in the entertainment field, thus not really needing a label as entertainers. And considering how private they are about they're personal life, I'm not sure that they would feel comfortable talking about they're own sexuality infront of the literal press that will be there, even if it's ambiguous.
We're here, we're queer, we're filled with existential fear!
gif cred: pseudophan on tumblr
felucca
truth bomb

Vanderlyle wrote:
bookfiend wrote: Dan and Phil had a meeting earlier in the year with the BBC where it clearly didn't go to plan and money was an issue on both fronts. (The BBC have been losing a lot of shows, live sporting events and stars due to this same issue). But perhaps it wasn't just about the radio show? Maybe as someone mentioned earlier Deppy have an idea, a pilot for a show that BBC weren't interested in, but that doesn't mean another channel wouldn't be.
i was tapped out of the active fandom for a while due to moving across country and starting grad school etc (i saw tatinof in nyc and watched videos but i wasn't active in a forum for most of 2016 like i had been in years past) - can someone point me to where i can glean more info on their parting with the bbc? i was pretty bummed about it - i was proud of them for their work there, but i know they want to grow. i would just like to know the juicy details
I second this! I've been pretty tapped out myself for the past year but I want to know everything. Here's what I do know:

There was an article earlier this summer about the BBC having trouble finding new DJs. They mention Dan and Phil saying:

"We've looked at YouTubers, people like Dan & Phil, but they get tempted by huge amounts of money and go off on world tours around America and Australia."

All I can remember Dan and Phil themselves saying was that they'd be "going on a hiatus" from the radio show, but I feel like they've maybe said something more concrete after that that I don't remember? Anyone? (Also how do we know they had a meeting with the BBC earlier this year that didn't go to plan?)
dat veniam corvis, vexat censura columbas

:dh:
fancybum
senpai

nerdysporks wrote:The blurb on the website about the interview says "Join them for a free-flowing and funny chat about fame, resisting definition, comedy and cakes." https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/the-grea ... 6823383732

I'll bet you a bag of Maltesers that sexuality does not come up at all. I think the 'resisting definition' is just supposed to tie into 'what it’s like being your own writers, editors and commissioners' ie. creating your own career outside of the traditional constraints of what all those things are supposed to mean and outside of the old media gatekeepers. edit: confusedpanda said it better.

Phandom needs to chill the fuck out. They don't talk about sexualities in any kind of blunt and straightforward way on any of their own channels or social media accounts, but suddenly they'll open right up about it during an hour long chat about media with a woman they've never met before just because she's a lesbian? ..lol?
Thanks and have a great day! Oil me
Vanderlyle
spork

felucca wrote:
Vanderlyle wrote:
I second this! I've been pretty tapped out myself for the past year but I want to know everything. Here's what I do know:

There was an article earlier this summer about the BBC having trouble finding new DJs. They mention Dan and Phil saying:

"We've looked at YouTubers, people like Dan & Phil, but they get tempted by huge amounts of money and go off on world tours around America and Australia."

All I can remember Dan and Phil themselves saying was that they'd be "going on a hiatus" from the radio show, but I feel like they've maybe said something more concrete after that that I don't remember? Anyone? (Also how do we know they had a meeting with the BBC earlier this year that didn't go to plan?)
yes! i second all these questions. also, was their show actually cancelled or was that part of their decision to leave? some things made it seem like their show got cut, but they also spent most of last year on tour and knew that would be the case. sorry to rehash old stuff, it's just been a cloudy area for me and this seemed like a good time to butt in
RiriPandaHeart2
phabergé

Vanderlyle wrote: yes! i second all these questions. also, was their show actually cancelled or was that part of their decision to leave? some things made it seem like their show got cut, but they also spent most of last year on tour and knew that would be the case. sorry to rehash old stuff, it's just been a cloudy area for me and this seemed like a good time to butt in
I think from this it can be surmised that it was actually cut. Because theoretically the format of Internet Takeover was that even if Dan and Phil weren't around, other Youtubers could take over for them. Especially when, at that point, they were only doing the first Mondays of every month already. Even Jack and Dean were already working with BBC Radio 1 then so they could have easily taken over the spots. I think that the BBC just realized that popularity in terms of subscribers of Youtubers is not equivalent to fan engagement enough to actually tune in to the radio. I think Dan and Phil are the exception rather than the rule because of how engaged the Phandom is. Also, Ben's tweet does imply that the show was axed. I don't know how reliable he is but I think he does know enough for that tweet to be accurate. :(

I had hope that they would return to the radio because the official announcement for the show that was going to replace Internet Takeover did say that Deppy were still part of the BBC Radio 1 family. So I'm likely to believe that they were initially slated to return (either through a revival of their old radio show or some new format) but that negotiations fell through during/after the bour. :(

Edit: because I don't know how to transform the link into words. >.<
Last edited by RiriPandaHeart2 on Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
P: What are you doing?

D: I'm feeding it to you.

P: Why is it so slow?
lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual

Vanderlyle wrote:
felucca wrote:
Vanderlyle wrote:

yes! i second all these questions. also, was their show actually cancelled or was that part of their decision to leave? some things made it seem like their show got cut, but they also spent most of last year on tour and knew that would be the case. sorry to rehash old stuff, it's just been a cloudy area for me and this seemed like a good time to butt in
I think everyone is cloudy on this. Deppy haru'd it. <<-- insert haru emoji

Yes, they said they were going on hiatus, and a year ago, speculation was rampant about when they would come back. But the weeks and months went by with no announcement from them or the BBC (and I think it became clear that the interim programming that was scheduled for their slot was simply going to run out). Then eventually there was an announcement of something new for their slot, with no acknowledgement from the BBC that this was goodbye to Deppy. Deppy never addressed it: I think the only time they acknowledged the question at all was Dan making a face in a live show--sometime last fall--in response to a question about it, while not saying anything directly. At that point everyone inferred that Deppy and the BBC had parted ways and weren't going to say why.
"If you're left-handed, ask a friend."
"Why am I left-handed?"
"Everybody makes mistakes."
Ewok
rainbow nerd

So this might be ever so slightly off topic - I was rewatching their latest sims video (Dil's Grand Design) and noticed Dan's Perfume Genius shirt, which I believe he made an offhand comment about in his LS (why I can't go outside). Can't find the timestamp now that I'm looking for it of course but I vaguely remember him making an offhanded comment about it, "wearing my new Perfume Genius shirt, yay." Or whatever.

Naturally, I fell down a rabbit hole listening to pretty much PG's entire discography and learning more about Perfume Genius and Mike Hadreas. Taken from the Perfume Genius wiki page: "Hadreas's music explores topics including sexuality, domestic abuse, and the dangers faced by gay men in contemporary society."

I went through and started looking at the lyrics to some of Perfume Genius' songs and a couple caught my eye. Tagged so as not to take up too much space.

"All Waters"
When all waters still
And flowers cover the earth
When no tree's shivering
And the dust settles in the desert

When I can take your hand
On any crowded street
And hold you close to me
With no hesitating
"Slip Away"
Don't hold back, I want to break free
Cause it's singing through your body
And I'm carried by the sound
Every drum, every single beat
They were born from your body
And I'm carried by the sound

Oh, ooh love
They'll never break the shape we take
Oh, ooh
Baby let all them voices slip away

Don't look back, I want to break free
If you'll never see 'em coming
You'll never have to hide
Take my hand, take my everything
If we only got a moment
Give it to me now

Oh, ooh love
Oh, ooh

No caressing, no caressing

No caressing, no caressing, no

Oh, ooh love
Oh, ooh, no love
Oh, ooh, love love
Oh, ooh
"Alan"
Did you notice
We sleep through the night
Did you notice babe
Everything is alright

You need me
Rest easy
I'm here
How weird

Thought I'd hide
Maybe leave something
Secret behind
Never thought
I'd sing outside

You need me
Rest easy
I'm here
How weird
"Queen"
Don't you know your queen
Whipped
Heaving
Flower bloom at my feet

Cracked
Peelin'
Riddled with disease
Don't you know me

No family is safe
When I sashay

Gleaming
Wrapped in golden leaf
Don't you know me
Rank
Ragged
Skin sewn on sheets
Casing the barracks
For an ass to break and harness
Into the fold
Marry

No family is safe
When I sashay
There are quite a fair amount of songs by Perfume Genius that seem to focus on queer struggles of not "shaping" into the mold of society, or being accepted, etc.

Now obviously not everything Dan does needs to be psychoanalyzed, especially not something as trivial as supporting a band/musician or enjoying music or whatever, but my trashcan mind couldn't help immediately drawing parallels between this artist's message about his own personal struggles, and Dan. Guess I just found it interesting seeing Dan being passionate about an artist who's music mainly seems to focus on LGBT issues, self acceptance, personal relationships/love. Especially curious given the amount of self love & acceptance we have seen from Dan in 2017. :)

Seeing Dan purchase their merch says to me that he's not just a casual fan of Mike Hadreas' work. Whether it means he relates to Perfume Genius lyrics or not, I'm not sure. I'm very happy to see Dan supporting an LGBT artist either way! <3
»»-————𝓯𝓵𝓸𝓹𝓹𝔂 𝓭𝓲𝓷𝓰 𝓭𝓸𝓷𝓰————-««
archived
drama llama
Pronouns: dying

Ewok wrote:There are quite a fair amount of songs by Perfume Genius that seem to focus on queer struggles of not "shaping" into the mold of society, or being accepted, etc.

Now obviously not everything Dan does needs to be psychoanalyzed, especially not something as trivial as supporting a band/musician or enjoying music or whatever, but my trashcan mind couldn't help immediately drawing parallels between this artist's message about his own personal struggles, and Dan. Guess I just found it interesting seeing Dan being passionate about an artist who's music mainly seems to focus on LGBT issues, self acceptance, personal relationships/love. Especially curious given the amount of self love & acceptance we have seen from Dan in 2017. :)

Seeing Dan purchase their merch says to me that he's not just a casual fan of Mike Hadreas' work. Whether it means he relates to Perfume Genius lyrics or not, I'm not sure. I'm very happy to see Dan supporting an LGBT artist either way! <3
I mean I listen to artists singing about their struggles with drug abuse and I don't take paracetamol even if I'm violently throwing up so I can in no way relate. Relating to the meaning of a son can make it more enjoyable but equally you won't find people listening to a song they can relate to but don't like the music but you will find people listening to artists they can't relate to but enjoy the sound of the music.
sorry if I come off a bit wanky

... but I'm probably right you know
archived
drama llama
Pronouns: dying

fancybum wrote:

I'll bet you a bag of Maltesers that sexuality does not come up at all. I think the 'resisting definition' is just supposed to tie into 'what it’s like being your own writers, editors and commissioners' ie. creating your own career outside of the traditional constraints of what all those things are supposed to mean and outside of the old media gatekeepers. edit: confusedpanda said it better.

Phandom needs to chill the fuck out. They don't talk about sexualities in any kind of blunt and straightforward way on any of their own channels or social media accounts, but suddenly they'll open right up about it during an hour long chat about media with a woman they've never met before just because she's a lesbian? ..lol?
Literally no one except a group of teenage girls (... and some much older women...) cares about their sexuality. I doubt the presenter or people arranging the talk will have religiously watched Dan's videos enough to even realise he is in anyway 'resisting defining his sexuality' and Phil has done nothing. (Yes Phandom I know it is crazy but a man talking vaguely fondly about another man =/= attraction for men)
sorry if I come off a bit wanky

... but I'm probably right you know
malday
emo goose

felucca wrote:
Vanderlyle wrote:

I don't remember them ever mentioning having a meeting with the BBC earlier this year.

Like LeftHandedism said, Dan responded in a liveshow late last year with "BBC NO" (it was the joint liveshow from december i think), and that was it.
fancybum
senpai

archived wrote:
fancybum wrote:

Literally no one except a group of teenage girls (... and some much older women...) cares about their sexuality. I doubt the presenter or people arranging the talk will have religiously watched Dan's videos enough to even realise he is in anyway 'resisting defining his sexuality' and Phil has done nothing. (Yes Phandom I know it is crazy but a man talking vaguely fondly about another man =/= attraction for men)
k
Thanks and have a great day! Oil me
onceinaugust
rainbow nerd

So something I saw that probably means nothing, but I thought was interesting was who the producers are for the interview next week.

From glancing at a couple of the other interview pages, BBC2 is producing one or two other talks as well, but I'm wondering if Disney producing it means we'll see a continuation of that relationship with D+P showing up in more Disney shows/movies in small roles.
"You loved it, you want to do it more."
"Alright"
LtrllySusan
lava lamp

onceinaugust wrote:From glancing at a couple of the other interview pages, BBC2 is producing one or two other talks as well, but I'm wondering if Disney producing it means we'll see a continuation of that relationship with D+P showing up in more Disney shows/movies in small roles.
Unpopular Opinion Disclaimer – I don't like Disney so as a selfish being I'd prefer if they continued with more mature content. I don't think I could ever watch that series where they voiced two monkeys.

From a quick google search it seems like the Producer was hired by Channel 4 for a while though there isn't much info. As I've said before, I have no idea about the British TV culture so idk what to make from it. Guess we'll wait and see. Curious if it'll be recorded, it seems like a lot of effort to just do for a tiny audience who paid very little money to see it.
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

archived wrote:
fancybum wrote:

Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr