Dan & Phil Part 52: And They Were Roommates

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
Stakhanov
haru pillow
Pronouns: he / him

gnostic wrote:Is it just me that enjoys casual references to Phil driving?

I don't even know if Dan drives - does he?
It was a nice story, very much like the sort of anecdote that i would expect Phil to bring to a video - and apparently also as old as 2009 :lol:

I don't quite remember who did the driving ( Dan I think) but they drove all around the UK for the British tatinof. But i'm guessing they probably don't drive much now, as is true of a lot of people living in big cities.

Edit: Note to self: must stop rambling on public forum after I write "note to self".
Note to self: must watch the Casper and Joey vid. I like Casper especially, he gives me "an authentic vibe" (whatever that means) and it's interesting to see youtubers be straightforward about their trade. They might be a bit more "laddy" but not overly so imo and i'd hesitate to say that they have little in common with Dan and Phil. Granted, they're different people, but if you look at some really old pictures of Dan and Phil in their teens they could pass as "lads" too.
Anyway I don't think these labels really have much value in describing these people - I don't think they are walking caricatures - and after all they're all professional youtubers, and have been invited in Phil's bed and their flat to collab on a video. I don't think they collab with people they don't like, and if they like each other they probably share some similarities.
If only Dan and Phil would be willing to do an honest interview like that *throws up hands into the heavens*

Geoguessr: I really like them playing this game, it's a great setting to bring out some of my most liked Dan and Phil tropes: salty Dan, meticulous Phil (look at him noting scores) ... that raw competition and of course the good old bants and stares ;)
Finding my own inarticulate prose
Weirding out strangers and laughing at those
Jaundiced and jaded, postured and posed
Not that we’re special it’s just that we’re
Closing in on a place where we might get to be
Living real people regularly
malday
emo goose

fancybum wrote:
One half of TV’s most-loved double acts in conversation with one of gen-YouTube’s biggest pairings who will be sharing their wisdom on how to engage young audiences and what it’s like being your own writers, editors and commissioners. Join them for a free-flowing and funny chat about fame, resisting definition, comedy and cakes.
This is pretty random?
Maybe that's why Phil will pop into Dan's liveshow.
I love that someone replied about the cake scene, yes it all makes sense this all to release the cake scene.
captainspacecoat
stress mushroom
Pronouns: she/her

fancybum wrote:
One half of TV’s most-loved double acts in conversation with one of gen-YouTube’s biggest pairings who will be sharing their wisdom on how to engage young audiences and what it’s like being your own writers, editors and commissioners. Join them for a free-flowing and funny chat about fame, resisting definition, comedy and cakes.
This is pretty random?
Wow, so random!! I love Sue Perkins and Bake Off (and obvs so do dnp) so it should be good, but I have no idea what it has to do with anything. Were dnp contacted by Sue Perkins' management to interview her, or was it the other way around? Mysterious..
anime_is_not_cool
living flop

Stakhanov wrote: I don't quite remember who did the driving ( Dan I think) but they drove all around the UK for the British tatinof. But i'm guessing they probably don't drive much now, as is true of a lot of people living in big cities.
They actually had a crew member who drove in UK! I don't know/remember if it was an actual professional driver, or just someone from the crew.
I'm pretty sure I've read from here that they both haven't driven in years, the last mentions are from 2010 (as Dan still owned a car when he went to uni?). Thb I can't even imagine them driving, at least not Dan, and even less OWNING an actual vehicle :D
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

Well, this is interesting. Mentioned it to my mum and she said Sue's so zany, she's a bit scary, but with Phil being a zany dude too, could be some interesting chemistry. No idea what this might be in aid of other than cake and media.
Stakhanov
haru pillow
Pronouns: he / him

I stand corrected. I saw a picture of their Van once, now i'm wondering just how many people were in there. Cheeky. Didn't they diss out a story or two about "life on the road"?

My prayers are answered (and i didn't even pray) ! A Dongo and Pongo interview. Gotta check out the event and Sue Perkins now to determine the Shook TM-potential.
Finding my own inarticulate prose
Weirding out strangers and laughing at those
Jaundiced and jaded, postured and posed
Not that we’re special it’s just that we’re
Closing in on a place where we might get to be
Living real people regularly
fancybum
senpai

malday wrote: Maybe that's why Phil will pop into Dan's liveshow.
I love that someone replied about the cake scene, yes it all makes sense this all to release the cake scene.
Maybe they'll just recreate the scene, but have the cake judged first before Phil shoves it in Dan's face.
Thanks and have a great day! Oil me
sparkle
blobfish

Someone tell me its a really bad idea to spend £70 to get a train at 6.45 am to go to Edinburgh for literally 3 hours.
(hasn't also looked at the cost of flying - £147 - and the coach - £32 but means getting a coach at 1am.... and getting back at 3am)
:sparkle: dan howell gives me life :sparkle:
don't waste your time
or time will waste you
:sparkle:
simmehchan
butt chair

Gah, I would love to go to the thing in Edinburgh (I'm in Glasgow so 30 minutes away) but I'm going to a concert that day. Oh course that happens! How random though, D+P and Sue Perkins.

"I think stalking someone to become their friend is rather weird" - Phil Lester, 2006
LtrllySusan
lava lamp

sparkle wrote:Someone tell me its a really bad idea to spend £70 to get a train at 6.45 am to go to Edinburgh for literally 3 hours.
(hasn't also looked at the cost of flying - £147 - and the coach - £32 but means getting a coach at 1am.... and getting back at 3am)
It's a fantastic idea and you should most definitely do it. We expect live reports and an update to your conspiracy encyclopedia afterwards.
No but srsly, as someone whose favourite band disbanded before I could see them live one last time - do it before it's too late. I'm already regretting not doing the silly abroad trip to see TATINOF
coffeepenguin
rainbow nerd

Re: Joe and Caspar's video and how it relates to Deppy
Thank you very much AroboticPhil for posting that video with Joe and Caspar! As people have said, it was very insightful (despite me never having watched a single Joe or Caspar video, except for with Deppy) and I would love to have Dan and Phil talk about their life like this. I'd pay for this, for sure. It also makes me think of when people say Dan and Phil are lazy and don't do enough. Of course, everyone is entitled to their opinions, but every time I see this kind of talk, I'm just, idk, sad, I guess. I get it, they're rich white guys, whatever, I don't need to defend them, but nobody gets this kind of fame and recognition by doing nothing, especially when you don't have a starting capital. We could argue that Phil had very supportive parents, but even then, if I remember correctly from his old videos and stuff, they really wanted him to find a job after uni and there was a bit of a tension there. Maybe it would be better if they did talk more about these things, like TomSka does, I don't know, I for instance would be happy if Deppy were more forthcoming about the business side of things, but I also understand why they aren't, both the professional (hard to stay #relatable) and personal (privacy) reasons.

There's a thing that I find Deppy are doing really well, though, of which I thought after this video, it's the way they present their kinda meaningless conflicts to their audience, like the Phil stealing cereal thing where he's the "bad guy", and the whole Dan's "my audience likes to bully me" shtick which allows him to show us his "bad sides" alongside with Phil's. There is this constant flow of praise from the phandom, so it allows Deppy to have some balance and at the same time, kinda manage it so it doesn't get out of hand, they show us these situations where there're arguments between them, they know it'll become a meme, they even encourage it by replying on twitter to those things. But it's like a smaller version of it, so the audience would get their drama fix and at the same time, they would be occupied and there would no parallel discourse about Deppy's relationship being bad, or "too perfect", or whatever that they can't control. I'm not saying it's staged, just that they share with us these "safe" conflicts that doesn't matter in the long term, but allow them to show that their relationship isn't picture perfect. Sometimes, quite rarely, you can have the glimpses of their real arguments, that's why the confession roulette video is hard to watch, I think, for example (in the Huffington Post interview, they said they have different opinions on a lot of things, but we don't ever really see it). I don't know btw if I'm expressing myself well, but I hope you get it :?

(Hidden because we've moved on, that's what you get for writing 600 words in two hours)
(also, another quick thing, in a couple of recent discussions I've seen some people say that some of Deppy's decisions are actually done by their management and it just seems so strange to me, sorry. Other people have talked about it and expressed it way better than me, but basically, just look at how they roll, there isn't any management involved, there's no one else involved in their "brand". They must take advice on some things, on their finances for sure, they work with people on things, but Dan and Phil are people who make their own merch calendar by taking pictures in a bedroom and badly photoshopping them themselves afterwards, for ages there's been no one even to tell them to use a different shade of concealer, what are you talking about)
Last edited by coffeepenguin on Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dan wants to be understood. Phil just wants to make the viewer smile and sell some backpacks (c) fancybum
onceinaugust
rainbow nerd

fancybum wrote:
This is pretty random?
Hmm, now I just really want to know what the "talking about TV" is mentioned in the tweet. Is it just talking about their favorite shows convo that we get in every liveshow, or are they talking about a tv project that they're working on? The timing works for this to be the secret March project, but what kind of tv show would they make? Documentary miniseries?
"You loved it, you want to do it more."
"Alright"
simmehchan
butt chair

The interview looks like it's sold out now, just as I was about to buy tickets. ¬.¬

Wonder if we'll be able to see it somehow? Streamed online maybe?

"I think stalking someone to become their friend is rather weird" - Phil Lester, 2006
kindofatrashcan
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie
Pronouns: She/Her

'Talking TV' mmmm they are going to be the new duo for GBBO *illuminatti*
LtrllySusan
lava lamp

onceinaugust wrote:Hmm, now I just really want to know what the "talking about TV" is mentioned in the tweet. Is it just talking about their favorite shows convo that we get in every liveshow, or are they talking about a tv project that they're working on? The timing works for this to be the secret March project, but what kind of tv show would they make? Documentary miniseries?
Firstly: I think this announcement was delayed which is why they delayed the joint liveshow (Dan "having a headache")

Secondly: Is it possible that they filmed a pilot in February? Didn't Dan say that (loosely paraphrased) "we did something in February that you might or might not see".

(Thirdly: #thatweekinmarch with negotiations and moving troubles, just a lot of things adding up)

▲ *Illuminati triangle* ▲
fancybum
senpai

onceinaugust wrote: Hmm, now I just really want to know what the "talking about TV" is mentioned in the tweet. Is it just talking about their favorite shows convo that we get in every liveshow, or are they talking about a tv project that they're working on? The timing works for this to be the secret March project, but what kind of tv show would they make? Documentary miniseries?
From the sound of it, it's not a one-sided thing, like this isn't just D&P being interviewed, it's a mutual chat. 'TV' being her medium and 'online' being theirs.
malday
emo goose

The event is sponsored by Youtube so it might be just a thing Youtube is sending them to for some cross-promotion.
simmehchan
butt chair

Sorry for the spam, but I got tickets! Everyone pray for me, from the replies to that tweet everyone seems to think they're gonna reenact the cake scene. I'll need to bring my ear plugs for the screaming too :lol:

iwishiwasacasual
glabella

kindofatrashcan wrote:'Talking TV' mmmm they are going to be the new duo for GBBO *illuminatti*
as much as i would love that i'm pretty sure noel fielding (and somebody else) is doing it now because i remember my mum complaining about it, but it might have just been a diversion (i miss the illuminati triangle)
Vanderlyle
spork

malday wrote:The event is sponsored by Youtube so it might be just a thing Youtube is sending them to for some cross-promotion.
yea this is an event for The Edinburgh International Festival (formerly Fringe Festival) - i went in 2012 when i was studying abroad and we spent a week there. the event is just loads of shows and plays and sponsored stuff like every hour on the hour. it looks like YT and BT are sponsoring their own "sub-event' the Edinburgh International Television Festival within the larger month-long event. the "randomness" of this collaboration fits in to the spirit of the festival in my opinion. (and i looove bake off)

dan and phil were also at the festival in 2012 on one of their first assignments for the BBC. i searched for them while i was there - but anyway, they would be familiar with the event.
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

D&P gonna talk about cakes? Uh, like.. talk about how not to make them I assume then?
alittledizzy wrote:
Loafer wrote:Just wanted to say, thanks (or no thanks, haven't quite decided) to alittledizzy on tumblr for posting about how phils little "I'm corny. Corny corny corny" jingle is actually referencing a song called "I'm horny", which my ears had not been tainted with until today. Oh Phil. It's just the right anoint of weird and sexual yet cheesy type of awful song I would expect him to be into :lol:
Well, now it would just be rude not to make sure everyone here can also enjoy the classical musical offerings of Mousse T. (Lyrics are, obviously, nsfw.)
(Phil starts singing it at 8:27 in the video.)
This is the worst song to have stuck in your head but guess what my life is today thank to Phil's corny version.
Elyanie wrote:
Catallena wrote:
gnostic wrote:Is it just me that enjoys casual references to Phil driving?

I don't even know if Dan drives - does he?
Dan had a car back before uni, he mentions it in My First Time I think. And I remember him saying he had misplaced his drivers license and had no idea where it was in a really old liveshow once. I hope he has found it since then :')

I feel like neither have driven in years though. Phil has admitted he isn't a very good driver at some point as well I think.
Yes he can, but he doesn't have a chair.
I forgot about this classic :')
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
coffeepenguin
rainbow nerd

simmehchan wrote: Sorry for the spam, but I got tickets! Everyone pray for me, from the replies to that tweet everyone seems to think they're gonna reenact the cake scene. I'll need to bring my ear plugs for the screaming too :lol:
god, I hope not. Also - controversial opinion - I'd love it if they never release the footage either or do it in, like, five years when everybody stops caring. And even then I won't be able to watch it without hitting the pause every two seconds.
Dan wants to be understood. Phil just wants to make the viewer smile and sell some backpacks (c) fancybum
nephilimcat
woodland creature

alittledizzy wrote:
Loafer wrote:Just wanted to say, thanks (or no thanks, haven't quite decided) to alittledizzy on tumblr for posting about how phils little "I'm corny. Corny corny corny" jingle is actually referencing a song called "I'm horny", which my ears had not been tainted with until today. Oh Phil. It's just the right anoint of weird and sexual yet cheesy type of awful song I would expect him to be into :lol:
Well, now it would just be rude not to make sure everyone here can also enjoy the classical musical offerings of Mousse T. (Lyrics are, obviously, nsfw.)
(Phil starts singing it at 8:27 in the video.)
[offtopic]No ... this can't be ... I am convinced I listened to this song when I was younger because it sounds very familiar and I remember liking it. But I didn't understand English back then and since my father's English is horrible and my mother probably did/does not know what horny means, they had no problem letting us listen to it. Or my mother did know and found it funny, she'd totally do something like that (I'm onto you, Mama). Oh dear, what a revelation and there I went for years not knowing what this song was about :lol: :shock:[/offtopic]
pulvis et umbra sumus
fancybum
senpai

coffeepenguin wrote:
Re: Joe and Caspar's video and how it relates to Deppy
Thank you very much AroboticPhil for posting that video with Joe and Caspar! As people have said, it was very insightful (despite me never having watched a single Joe or Caspar video, except for with Deppy) and I would love to have Dan and Phil talk about their life like this. I'd pay for this, for sure. It also makes me think of when people say Dan and Phil are lazy and don't do enough. Of course, everyone is entitled to their opinions, but every time I see this kind of talk, I'm just, idk, sad, I guess. I get it, they're rich white guys, whatever, I don't need to defend them, but nobody gets this kind of fame and recognition by doing nothing, especially when you don't have a starting capital. We could argue that Phil had very supportive parents, but even then, if I remember correctly from his old videos and stuff, they really wanted him to find a job after uni and there was a bit of a tension there. Maybe it would be better if they did talk more about these things, like TomSka does, I don't know, I for instance would be happy if Deppy were more forthcoming about the business side of things, but I also understand why they aren't, both the professional (hard to stay #relatable) and personal (privacy) reasons.

There's a thing that I find Deppy are doing really well, though, of which I thought after this video, it's the way they present their kinda meaningless conflicts to their audience, like the Phil stealing cereal thing where he's the "bad guy", and the whole Dan's "my audience likes to bully me" shtick which allows him to show us his "bad sides" alongside with Phil's. There is this constant flow of praise from the phandom, so it allows Deppy to have some balance and at the same time, kinda manage it so it doesn't get out of hand, they show us these situations where there're arguments between them, they know it'll become a meme, they even encourage it by replying on twitter to those things. But it's like a smaller version of it, so the audience would get their drama fix and at the same time, they would be occupied and there would no parallel discourse about Deppy's relationship being bad, or "too perfect", or whatever that they can't control. I'm not saying it's staged, just that they share with us these "safe" conflicts that doesn't matter in the long term, but allow them to show that their relationship isn't picture perfect. Sometimes, quite rarely, you can have the glimpses of their real arguments, that's why the confession roulette video is hard to watch, I think, for example (in the Huffington Post interview, they said they have different opinions on a lot of things, but we don't ever really see it). I don't know btw if I'm expressing myself well, but I hope you get it :?

(Hidden because we've moved on, that's what you get for writing 600 words in two hours)
(also, another quick thing, in a couple of recent discussions I've seen some people say that some of Deppy's decisions are actually done by their management and it just seems so strange to me, sorry. Other people have talked about it and expressed it way better than me, but basically, just look at how they roll, there isn't any management involved, there's no one else involved in their "brand". They must take advice on some things, on their finances for sure, they work with people on things, but Dan and Phil are people who make their own merch calendar by taking pictures in a bedroom and badly photoshopping them themselves afterwards, for ages there's been no one even to tell them to use a different shade of concealer, what are you talking about)[/outerspoiler]
Ok just :thumbsup: to this entire post (especially the management part because I've kind of squinted at some of those comments but didn't really know how to respond) but I really liked this part:
They display just enough Wholesome Drama™ and it's pretty refreshing compared to the actual drama that goes on around everyone else.
dailybooth
glabella
Pronouns: She/Her

Wow, I'm very excited for this interview! I adore Sue <3. (and how coincidental that an interview was announced just as we were all yearning for some real talk from deppy)
:lion: :prideflag: