Dan & Phil Part 53: another two months

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
liola
rankussy
Pronouns: she/her

Wow, I barely have internet access for not even 3 days and I come back to so many posts! A couple of random thoughts about the main topics:

First of all the joint liveshow was so cute. I'm super glad they got the irrelevant tweet/spon/Edinburg even out of the way in the first minutes so that we could enjoy their banter. I still find it interesting they postponed so hard to do a joint liveshow when there was apparently no reason, but she's not complaining. Phil pranking Dan was the cutest thing <3 and god the ending when they're flirting over quinoa, how married are they?? *insert trashcan*

Dream Daddy was cute but I preferred the first episode over this. I am very interested in the game, I wish I could play it myself cause I wanna explore all the different paths, but there's something in their let's play that isn't working for me, and I'm not sure if it's because of the heavy text - I know Undertale had a lot of reading and voices too, but there was also lots of action with the battles and that gave the reading a break. I think that's mostlt because of the type of game though, not really Deppy. I tried watching other youtubers play and I just can't do it, so.. I'm curious to see if things run smoother in the next episodes.

I also noticed how they seem to gravitate to each other personalities and that's just too funny :lol: do they even realize? Are they unaware or just fucking with us? Whatever it is, it's really amusing.

Food talk: let me just say that as an Italian I just don't understand how anyone in their right mind can forget you need water to make pasta. It's just..I feel I was born with that knowledge in my brain. My brother, who is 14 and doesn't even know how to turn the gas on because he's a lazy shit like that, he KNOWS that you need water for pasta. I'm just..Dan. What. How tired were you when that happened.

I'm very curious to know what's going on in their lives at the moment, their recent tweets literally say nothing about what/if they're working on, which makes me go full illuminati. I also realize I've been spoiled in my other fandoms because I'm always up to date with snaps and insta stories and tweets and random stuff. Deppy, you don't make it easy.
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

fancybum wrote:
sparkle wrote: Also I'm very *imagine an illuminati triangle here please* with Dan atm, like something is up but I can't quite work out what it might be?
Just Dan? As in, unrelated to their possible secret project thing? Something good/something bad? And based on what? Could you elaborate pls.
Dan is opening his own vegan grocery store chain while Phil produces children's puppet shows and tries desperately to cling onto his family friendly attitude by not making jokes about sticking his hands up the butts of the puppets.
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

alittledizzy wrote:
fancybum wrote:
sparkle wrote: Also I'm very *imagine an illuminati triangle here please* with Dan atm, like something is up but I can't quite work out what it might be?
Just Dan? As in, unrelated to their possible secret project thing? Something good/something bad? And based on what? Could you elaborate pls.
Dan is opening his own vegan grocery store chain while Phil produces children's puppet shows and tries desperately to cling onto his family friendly attitude by not making jokes about sticking his hands up the butts of the puppets.
Oh wow, I miss the roflmao smiley now :mrgreen: Brilliant.

I've seen a few people lately saying they feel like something's up with Dan. I have no idea what, but it's been for a few weeks now.
Ticia
suspended
Pronouns: her / she

*Imagine there's the trashcan emoji here, thank you*

Liked by Dan on Twitter:
The demon in me:

fancybum
senpai

alittledizzy wrote:
fancybum wrote:
Honestly though they're going to expand IRL into everything until they merge into an emo Richard Branson. IRL Music, IRL Vegan Grocers, IRL Kidz, I'm here for it tbh.

This has nothing to do with anything but I'm fascinated by how lowkey they are about their merch ventures. Like in the videos where they've worn Dean and Sav merch, they link to their shops in the description, and I remember them promo-ing Chris when his shop launched, but have they ever straight up said how they're affiliated? Like it's common knowledge, but it's also not unless you're in a little too deep, I guess. There's nothing wrong with it, because yay mutual profit for cute and good quality stuff, but they appear so hands-off when their fingers are in all of the pies behind the scenes. WHICH IS INTERESTING because they could spon so much harder? But in the same way they don't really promote other people's videos (unless they're also front and centre in them and Jack Howard didn't direct it lol) they don't do much active promotion of other people's merch. Is that about downplaying/ignoring their business selves to stay more relatable or what. And I wonder what their peer people think about that. Because on one hand, yeah do your own work and build your own brand, bootstraps etc, but on the other hand, Dan wearing Sav's shirt in one video sold them out almost immediately. And when he gets around to wearing the Eat People sweater, the same thing will probably happen which would be a good thing for Dean. And Dean is selling his stuff just fine on his own, but I wonder if there's any impatience there, even subconsciously, about it getting a bigger boost through D&P.. Just on the off-chance they feel like wearing it one day. Like just choosing to wear something becomes an act of benevolence on somebody with less cash. Getting into business with friend-types is such a potentially uncomfortable dynamic to me, I wouldn't be able to deal with it, just thinking about this is stressful ahhh. But yeah they're actually going to take over the world one day is my main point.
Thanks and have a great day! Oil me
autumnhearth
senpai

I predict DINOF tomorrow (though it would be great if it was today, don't want to interrupt the solar eclipse) and a gaming video on Friday, but I'm going to say something we're not expecting (not Sims or Golf). No idea on the streaming, weekends make sense though mine are busy next week.

I can't see Dan going fully vegan or vegetarian because I don't see Phil ever doing it and it seems like their eating/love of food is so entwined in their relationship. But like others have said little conscious choices to lower your impact is great. I hope he follows through on his desire to make the advent calendar chocolate vegan, for the fans but also friends and family.
bookfiend
spork
Pronouns: She/her

fancybum wrote:
To be honest I think it may just be more noticeable in Dan because he's easier to read than Phil.

I still think it might be something to do with that week in March. Whether it was something to do with their "life stuff" or it was to do with a secret project it's clear it didn't quite go to plan.
Dan seems to be somewhat of a perfectionist who dwells on the negative. If something didn't happen or is still facing delays he might be dwelling on it.

Also this year is also a bit of a turning point in their content. Tabinof and Tatinof being the end of an era in D&Ps career and the beginning of a new one. Dan's shrugging off pieces of the Dinof brand he no longer relates to as much but he hasn't quite worked out where he wants to go from here. This is fine he's got time to figure stuff out, but I imagine it can be quite stressful with millions of people waiting for you to roll out new content.

Honestly though overall they've both seemed pretty happy to me. They've moved out of the old apartment, focused on spending more time with family and friends (which must have fallen to the side during all the tours). Focusing on the YouTube content after it took a hit with all the touring. Both are slowly changing the way their audience views them. And they seem to have some sort of idea about their future even if nothing is set in stone. They're allowed off days or bad moments they are just people. *insert shrug gif here*
lurker
janice from the shop
Pronouns: they/them

fancybum wrote:
alittledizzy wrote:
fancybum wrote:
Honestly though they're going to expand IRL into everything until they merge into an emo Richard Branson. IRL Music, IRL Vegan Grocers, IRL Kidz, I'm here for it tbh.

This has nothing to do with anything but I'm fascinated by how lowkey they are about their merch ventures. Like in the videos where they've worn Dean and Sav merch, they link to their shops in the description, and I remember them promo-ing Chris when his shop launched, but have they ever straight up said how they're affiliated? Like it's common knowledge, but it's also not unless you're in a little too deep, I guess. There's nothing wrong with it, because yay mutual profit for cute and good quality stuff, but they appear so hands-off when their fingers are in all of the pies behind the scenes. WHICH IS INTERESTING because they could spon so much harder? But in the same way they don't really promote other people's videos (unless they're also front and centre in them and Jack Howard didn't direct it lol) they don't do much active promotion of other people's merch. Is that about downplaying/ignoring their business selves to stay more relatable or what. And I wonder what their peer people think about that. Because on one hand, yeah do your own work and build your own brand, bootstraps etc, but on the other hand, Dan wearing Sav's shirt in one video sold them out almost immediately. And when he gets around to wearing the Eat People sweater, the same thing will probably happen which would be a good thing for Dean. And Dean is selling his stuff just fine on his own, but I wonder if there's any impatience there, even subconsciously, about it getting a bigger boost through D&P.. Just on the off-chance they feel like wearing it one day. Like just choosing to wear something becomes an act of benevolence on somebody with less cash. Getting into business with friend-types is such a potentially uncomfortable dynamic to me, I wouldn't be able to deal with it, just thinking about this is stressful ahhh. But yeah they're actually going to take over the world one day is my main point.
i was thinking about the same thing when i saw dan wearing savannah's merch -- how on earth do they navigate shit like that while still being generally liked and described as nice and decent people by their peers and staying clear of drama. maybe striking a balance between sponning irl and navigating work relationships with their peers is part of why it's just wearing a shirt and leaving a link in the description and no further #spon, though. anything less low-key might lead to an imbalance being perceived in how who gets promoted to what extent while wearing a shirt can still be written of as, well, just wearing a shirt. but still! is wearing the shirt a spontaneous decision, or is it talked about, or does a secret calendar for the next few months exist where deppy have meticulously planned out when which piece will make its appearance?
fancybum wrote: But in the same way they don't really promote other people's videos (unless they're also front and centre in them and Jack Howard didn't direct it lol)[...]
with respect to that there's also the question as to who actually wishes for which extent of promotion -- would everyone they collab with want them to spon the heck out of it, or would some youtubers actually not be keen on getting a singular peak in their viewer statistics on a single video with no long-term effect at all? is the extent of promotion something they discuss beforehand when they do a collab?

tl;dr dark dan and phil, show me your forbidden social skills

ps fancybum i miss your old avatar but the new one is great too. also i am immensely pleased that your user rank takes up exactly as much space as your user name.
thank's you were great
realeyesrealize
living flop

obscureDnPreference
procrastinator
Pronouns: she/her/hers

[offtopic]Wondering if anyone has seen this. Some really great and moving points on having an online persona and the difficulties with it. Side note: Charlie was one of the first people I watched on YT in 2011 and it breaks my heart knowing how much he's had to act like everything's okay for so long.[/offtopic]
"This is not children's television. I'm 26, I'm depressed, and I need edgy jokes to cope with my anxiety."
Daniel Howell, 10/30/17
SneakyLizard
butt chair

obscureDnPreference wrote:

[offtopic]Wondering if anyone has seen this. Some really great and moving points on having an online persona and the difficulties with it. Side note: Charlie was one of the first people I watched on YT in 2011 and it breaks my heart knowing how much he's had to act like everything's okay for so long.[/offtopic]
[offtopic]I have been watching Charlie since "Charlie Screams at 3:34" and I am very fond of him. Been following his latest enterprises with interest. It was a very interesting and heartfelt video, and Charlie has certainly been expressing similar thoughts (though not as directly) for a while. He grew up on YouTube, like D&P so it's fascinating to see his career trajectory and personal development compared to theirs.[/offtopic]
we walk among you
iwishiwasacasual
glabella

i thought charlie's video was really interesting but i don't agree with him when he says that people asking if he died when he stopped posting must mean they only value him when he's putting content online. for most people the only way they hear from him is though what he posts online so if he all of the sudden stops with no explanation you can kind of understand while people who jump to that conclusion (even if it is a bit ridiculous). its like if someone you know suddenly dropped of the face of the plant you'd probably start to worry.

i do like charlie though, i think he was the first british youtuber i ever watched and i find seeing where early youtubers are ending up in life really interesting because no one really knows how long a career on youtube can really last.
LtrllySusan
lava lamp

I feel like Phil has been tweeting unusually much these days while Dan has been fairly quiet. I'm with sparkle's gut feeling that something's up. Probably confirmation bias though, what do you guys think?
MythicalPinkTrashCan
phabergé

iwishiwasacasual wrote:i thought charlie's video was really interesting but i don't agree with him when he says that people asking if he died when he stopped posting must mean they only value him when he's putting content online. for most people the only way they hear from him is though what he posts online so if he all of the sudden stops with no explanation you can kind of understand while people who jump to that conclusion (even if it is a bit ridiculous). its like if someone you know suddenly dropped of the face of the plant you'd probably start to worry.

i do like charlie though, i think he was the first british youtuber i ever watched and i find seeing where early youtubers are ending up in life really interesting because no one really knows how long a career on youtube can really last.
I just want to second this whole thing. There are lots of creators who fell off the face of the internet, yes, but there are also some that have actually died. I don't watch Charlie anymore, but it would probably bum me out a bit if I got news he died.
somethingsketchy
janice from the shop

LtrllySusan wrote:I feel like Phil has been tweeting unusually much these days while Dan has been fairly quiet. I'm with sparkle's gut feeling that something's up. Probably confirmation bias though, what do you guys think?
Nothing is going on. Everything is just a mass hallucination. IDB is a cult lead by evil mods, who have made the rest of us believe that these two British noodles called Dan and Phil exist and that we should worship them.
Ticia
suspended
Pronouns: her / she

somethingsketchy wrote:
LtrllySusan wrote:I feel like Phil has been tweeting unusually much these days while Dan has been fairly quiet. I'm with sparkle's gut feeling that something's up. Probably confirmation bias though, what do you guys think?
Nothing is going on. Everything is just a mass hallucination. IDB is a cult lead by evil mods, who have made the rest of us believe that these two British noodles called Dan and Phil exist and that we should worship them.

Also, their tweets scream "Drafted three weeks ago".
SneakyLizard
butt chair

And Phil's tweeting has been pretty generic -- though to be fair he may not have anything specific to share at the moment but still has to maintain an online presence so *shrug*

I do think something is up, but we may never know about it. It's just as likely to be personal as professional -- could be anything from working on a new project to simply being too busy being happy to going crisis-y and not wanting to share that struggle with the internet... anything, really.

The tweet analysis done earlier does show that they're not unusually quiet, I'm just going by my gut here. And while I'm usually good at smelling a rat when something is off, I can rarely name the specific rat unless I know the person and situation fairly well :D
we walk among you
chiccola
sofa crease

I might be a bit late for the food talk, since I spent the last hour (possibly more) going through FAQ section on this forum, reading through old timelines and stuff getting attacked by the pheels

and this caught my attention :lol:
Needless to say, you need to have a special talent to burn simple dishes like pasta/pizza/toast

(but maybe I can forgive them cause it sounds like they were really busy that week in december *insert trashcan emoji*)
SneakyLizard
butt chair

Ticia wrote:
somethingsketchy wrote:

Never was a gif better used. I'm... that's entirely possible. *tightens tinfoil*
we walk among you
Rigby
lady door

New Dan video!

Just started watching but I love that he accidentally blew Phil's cover. He said Phil got him the DNA thing and Phil said in his video that a friend of his mum (or an aunt?) did the test. Hmm.
somethingsketchy
janice from the shop

SneakyLizard wrote:
Ticia wrote:
somethingsketchy wrote:

Never was a gif better used. I'm... that's entirely possible. *tightens tinfoil*
I mean, what jesp wrote on the announcement forum yesterday sounds an awful lot like something a cult leader would say...
jesp wrote:I'm happy to announce that rizzo has agreed to join our moderation team. We're not sure if she's quite sure what she's getting in to, but we're pleased to have her on board and I'm sure you'll all make her first day go smoothly - or at least that you'll try not to break too many rules.
Is rizzo okay?
liola
rankussy

Oh my god, I swear like 2 days ago someone predicted the new dinof video would be a DNA test result..well you were right!
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
onceinaugust
rainbow nerd

Rigby wrote:New Dan video!

Just started watching but I love that he accidentally blew Phil's cover. He said Phil got him the DNA thing and Phil said in his video that a friend of his mum (or an aunt?) did the test. Hmm.

And here's the origin of the blond tweet from yesterday!
"You loved it, you want to do it more."
"Alright"
quercussp
living flop

What we learned from this video:
Dan has some cool shirts (i'm from Russia and I'm digging the "equality" shirt)
Dan has a pain kink
Dan wants redheaded children
Dan doesn't like nazis (that's a shocker)
Dan cries in a corner reading the news (same, Dan)

Overall, I thought it was pretty good, it made me smile.
Last edited by quercussp on Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sentinel
lady door

Bloody hell it costs 149 pounds to do the test, what the fuck.

Anyway, I need his shirt. It means equality in most slavic languages. Is he turning into slav-a-boo? May be we are in for some cyrillic merch.