Dan & Phil Part 53: another two months

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
malday
emo goose

dailybooth wrote: [Also, he again joked about getting evicted, complained about bad internet in the apartment, and generally didn't care about showing us more of it. I'm not saying Moving 2.0 but... *insert Illuminati symbol*]
It IS odd that those soundproofing tiles are still fallen after all this time. Why wouldn't they have bothered to put them back up? (unless Dan meant they fell a second time).

They are moving but the question is when. I think if they were moving right now, Dan would have made it even more obvious, like he did last time.
snokoplasmic
procrastinator
Pronouns: she/her

oh my god dan put a link to phil's channel at the end of the ls on an endcard thing and titled it "this dork" why is this making my heart melt (insert pink trashcan here)
captainspacecoat
stress mushroom

snokoplasmic wrote:oh my god dan put a link to phil's channel at the end of the ls on an endcard thing and titled it "this dork" why is this making my heart melt (insert pink trashcan here)
Ugh, that's adorable. That liveshow was adorable. That's all I have to say before I rush off to work, but damn it that was entertaining.

Also I'm pumped for the reemergence of the moving theories following all the mentions of bad wifi and being evicted... insert-illuminati-symbol-here
sugar
eclipse shirt
Pronouns: they/them

that was honestly so lovely to watch i worked all day so it was a nice surprise when i got home. they both looked so good and i loved how at ease they seemed about the whole thing. it definitely felt more natural than their usual younow liveshows.

as much as i enjoy dan's usual liveshows i feel like sometimes i get tired of seeing him sit in front of a computer and answer questions and go on long tangents. i love to hear him talk but i sometimes wish he wouldn't spend as long on each topic. but i do understand that it may be in part due to the fact that he wants to fill up the hour without any lulls. i feel like since he was on his phone and able to move around it kept things interesting and light and fun and i really loved it.
JustMe wrote:And he said 'I'll show you where the greenscreen is' and then never did :/
he did! it's in the closet and he pointed it out when he was going through and showing all the stuff on shelves.
Artdefines06
ar·tic·u·late
Pronouns: She/They/Nothing

Ok, I'm only 2:30 into the LS and laughing hard enough to wake the neighbors. Good stuff.

Real quick since I have read all the comments already, my answer to the soundproofing panels is obvious to me since we tried to do something similar. They cannot put holes in the wall since they are renting, and almost no sticky thing that won't leave permanent marks will work on that weird foam stuff. If you look at how other peeps like Pewdiepie or Jack did it, they used very permanent solutions like glue or thick tape or whatever, but that is because they own the houses they live in (Or at least are willing to fix the mess before they move out.) I can see DnP shying away from anything that would make a big mess/hassle.

*ps I love the bubbles fite me
kenzieisnotonfire
phillion/danosaur <//3

:lol:
karma_yeah
philussy

Add me to the list of people who enjoyed the live show! It was wonderful. He seemed happy, open and in a sharing mood. Really appreciated the tour. It's interesting to see what goes into what they do.

I have no idea why I find it endearing that they have all their onesies hanging in a closet together. I mean really, they could have just wadded them up and thrown them in a drawer or something.

And loved Phil's entrance at the end. He was in a great mood and charming as always. I'd love to see them join in the end of each other's live shows again. After all, the domestic bants really ARE the content I signed up for :D
What goes around, comes around Image
random
crusty sponge

Loved the liveshow!

Jacksfilms mentioned deppy in his latest video. It's kind of annoying to see how I bet most youtubers perceive them. The track is pretty funny tho.

It's at 1:16
scientia
phabergé

Susanisnotafish wrote:
scientia wrote:
Susanisnotafish wrote:Just a random deppy fact that maybe somebody other than me didn't know. Phil was the 3rd person dan followed on twitter and dan was the 29th person Phil followed. Dan followed Brittany Spears 2nd.

Also this is weird. One guy looks like Phil, but none of them look like dan!

http://www.wetheunicorns.com/news/badoo-dan-howell/
Add me to the list of people who didn't know Dan's follow ranking. Who was the first person he followed?
Cutewithchris was the first thing he followed. I think it was a blog. It only ever tweeted once but he still follows it.
I found a yt channel with that name, first started in 2007. some of the guy's content reminds me of early!dan :lol:
sugar
eclipse shirt
Pronouns: they/them

random wrote:Loved the liveshow!

Jacksfilms mentioned deppy in his latest video. It's kind of annoying to see how I bet most youtubers perceive them. The track is pretty funny tho.

that's...super annoying. as someone in my 20s i always get annoyed when deppy are implied to be only for tweens. clearly two cute and funny boys who are (seen as potentially) romatically involved will appeal to that demographic, and that demographic is often the loudest and most enthusiastic, does not, to me, imply that that is the demographic they're going for. i think a lot of their jokes are very adult and some of the stuff i've seen them talk about probably go right over the heads of 12 year olds. every time dan brings up goatse i wonder HOW, exactly, people can think they're cultivating their content with 12 year olds in mind.

i'm sure all of you agree, this is just me ranting to the void.
anime_is_not_cool wrote:[offtopic]about Brand New, responding to @awsugar (and Dan because you need to give it a listen!)
awsugar wrote: i remember seeing someone while backreading talking about (what i assume was)
being anxious waiting for brand new to drop the new album.....what do you think?! i've had it on repeat since it was uploaded to youtube. they've done it again.

also slightly more on topic...i wonder if dan was ever a brand new fan..or if he was introduced to them now through this album, if he'd like it. i think he would.
Hi that was me oh my god never thought someone would actually pay enough attention to recognise the band
But yeah, I'm listening to it on repeat literally right now and have been since Thursday. Loving it so much, tho still can't fully comprehend how its actually released now, ya know? :D

And I've been thinking about that too! (the lyrical themes fit Dan's rants so well sometimes that i'm actually pretty sad for him if he's never been a fan)
As he was that fetus emo in 2000s, he has probably heard something, but can't imagine him ever listening to post-Deja stuff or being a fan.. It just really doesn't match his previous or current music taste (imo, based on what he's told us) (which is sad bc damn all those lyrics; the existential metaphors, the poetic self pity. "an ongoing existential crisis for 14 years" is actually something i would say to describe Brand New.)
But I also believe that he would like Science Fiction. It's so much more chill and like Daisy, it's got those slow almost R&B-esque songs that paired with the emo lyrics, I could imagine him liking!

gotta go spam the ls chat
[/offtopic]
[offtopic]and here's me waxing poetic about how much i love brand new and need dan to listen to science ficiton.
never got a chance to respond to this cause Real Life is a thingi guess but i agree....on most points. i think dan definitely has some knowledge/awareness of brand new based on his age and former music taste and how just...iconic they are. i've always thought of brand new as that band that's not mainstream but once you're in the scene of alternative music...they're universally loved. so i'm sure dan knows of them but likely hasn't listened to the stuff after deja. i bet he'd think jesus christ is just as overrated as i do lmao.

however, i think it could match up with his current music taste. i know he listens to a lot of stuff,
and listens to a lot of rap these days, but he still loves muse and says radiohead is his favorite band so, as brand new has been described as an experimental rock band, i bet their last three albums could be of interest to him, if he listened now. maybe not the heavier songs, but i think there's stuff on each of the past three albums i could see dan being into.

if nothing else, i bet he'd appreciate the artistry. the lyrics & guitars, especially. and i think of the three, that science fiction would be dan's favorite. it's more mellow and feels a lot like they've grown up in the past 8 years so i think dan would be at least able to appreciate it.

and as you said, i think the lyrics could be relatable for him specifically, not just really impressive and beautiful.

this is all over the place as i've been drinking a bit but i really think dan would enjoy science fiction and GOD i really want him to listen to it and mention it in his next ls....i've just seen it's projected by billboard to potentially reach number one (which is WILD) so....maybe there's a chance.
[/offtopic]
Last edited by rizzo on Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed the broken coding :)
socksparadox
glabella
Pronouns: any

I love Jack, he's one of my favorite youtubers (outside of deppy), and I think he's one of the funniest on the site in terms of quality comedy, but it is highkey annoying to see him (as well as many other popular youtubers) perpetuating this obnoxious stereotype that all of deppy's fans are squirrely young fangirls. It's kind of upsetting to me to think that other top creators might not take dnp seriously because of their fanbase (or what they think dnp's fanbase is).
♡ 𝚍𝚎𝚜𝚙𝚒𝚝𝚎 𝚎𝚟𝚎𝚛𝚢𝚝𝚑𝚒𝚗𝚐, 𝚒𝚝'𝚜 𝚜𝚝𝚒𝚕𝚕 𝚢𝚘𝚞. :napsta:
vincentian
hobbit hair

The liveshow was amazing, not sure what prompted this mood they were in, but I enjoyed it. Wouldn't say Dan was chill, he was hyper but sort of patient with the chat, guess he really wanted this first attempt of yt streaming to succeed. Phil's appearance seemed spontaneous and he seemed a bit tired, still lots of cute interactions. It didn't make much sence to me why they needed to prefilm lots of gaming vids because they are leaving for a couple of days, maybe another IoM visit after Scotland? The way Dan said 'up north' is how Phil usually refers to visiting his family, could be a slip up.
snokoplasmic wrote:oh my god dan put a link to phil's channel at the end of the ls on an endcard thing and titled it "this dork" why is this making my heart melt (insert pink trashcan here)
<3 :P
Last edited by vincentian on Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
Susanisnotafish
flower crown
Pronouns: She/her

socksparadox wrote:

I love Jack, he's one of my favorite youtubers (outside of deppy), and I think he's one of the funniest on the site in terms of quality comedy, but it is highkey annoying to see him (as well as many other popular youtubers) perpetuating this obnoxious stereotype that all of deppy's fans are squirrely young fangirls. It's kind of upsetting to me to think that other top creators might not take dnp seriously because of their fanbase (or what they think dnp's fanbase is).
I am subbed to Jack and think he's pretty funny and a good musician/songwriter. He mentioned on his side channel that Caspar beat him to this idea but he was going to do it anyway. I think it's interesting how Dan scrapped his vid bc of Caspar's, yet what he replaced it with was to copy Phil. It's weird how copying Phil is ok to Dan and he calls it "being supportive". That's why Phil got Creator of the Year. Other than Phil copying Header for Dan, it's usually Phil coming up with ideas. Although Dan did come up with the book and tour and book trailer.

About Dan's ls, love love loved it! I took so many screenshots upon second watch. There was one where it looked like Dan had some stubble? Or is that wishful thinking?[tumblr] <div class="tumblr-post" data-href="https://embed.tumblr.com/embed/post/A3A ... 4511690525" data-did="7e0c29144c52dea402c580e65c4218abc89c8041">[/tumblr]

What language was on Dan's socks, and does he even know? What does it say?
[tumblr] <div class="tumblr-post" data-href="https://embed.tumblr.com/embed/post/A3A ... 4511765460" data-did="da39a3ee5e6b4b0d3255bfef95601890afd80709">[/tumblr]

The part where they were in documentary filter and Phil asked Dan about fire and then Dan repeated "Fire?" The way he said it reminded me so much of early PINOF and Amazing Dan. Sweet sweet mems.

There appeared to be an opening of some sort on the wall adjacent to the door. I'm wondering what that is.[tumblr] <div class="tumblr-post" data-href="https://embed.tumblr.com/embed/post/A3A ... 4511581030" data-did="da39a3ee5e6b4b0d3255bfef95601890afd80709">[/tumblr]

Also just a shoutout to everybody that posts. I read everything, even stuff under cuts, and your contributions are all appreciated.
Last edited by alittledizzy on Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed tumblr embed
"Rub those freckles all over me!" --Daniel Howell
confusedpanda
ar·tic·u·late
Pronouns: Her/she

vincentian wrote:The liveshow was amazing, not sure what prompted this mood they were in, but I enjoyed it. Wouldn't say Dan was chill, he was hyper but sort of patient with the chat, guess he really wanted this first attempt of yt streaming to succeed. Phil's appearance seemed spontaneous and he seemed a bit tired, still lots of cute interactions. It didn't make much sence to me why they needed to prefilm lots of gaming vids because they are leaving for a couple of days, maybe another IoM visit after Scotland?
<3 :P
Personally, I thought it was so that way they'd have something to do on the train there. Like busying yourself to pass time. Or it was because they hadn't filmed anything else for the rest of the month for the gaming channel. They do tend to record a few videos in one day to put out over the course of the next few weeks. I feel like I'm having déjà vu because this was mentioned a few days ago when talking about one of the videos being filmed in July and finishing up a video or two ago ? Am I remembering that discussion right?
Anyways!!! The live show was utterly adorable!! <3 dan was in a good mood and the filters were cute too. The live show was short, but it was the perfect amount of short and sweet! It was great to see different bits on the gaming room that we wouldn't normally see otherwise. I love how no small space goes unused in that room! And Phil popping in, god I wish I was able to watch that live, I would've so shook if I didn't know he'd be there at the end! <3 (I miss the heart and trash can emojis, just imagine a ton of them here, that's how I feel)
We're here, we're queer, we're filled with existential fear!
gif cred: pseudophan on tumblr
relatablemood
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

Whoareyoutalkingtowhoareyoutalkingtowhoareyputalkingto

Squeal for stupid feelings over how domestic and low-key O.o from Phil that was :lol:
i want dan's hair and phil's hips
relatablemood
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

[offtopic]Won't let me edit my post so I'll ask this question here: you know how we often look through videos to highlight particular moments that are cute or funny or somehow adding to a topic of speculation? With the time stamps and stuff. What happens if something happens one day, and there's something in the background or referenced or anything like that, and it's definitive proof of Phan or anything else. It's not that obvious, casual viewers wouldnt join the dots or see it all. What would you do? Would you come on here/Tumblr/Twitter or keep it to yourself, hoping no one else would find out?

It just makes me wonder because outing someone is such a cruel and selfish thing, but what if the content was there? Like it was with Zalfie? Honestly, what would you do? Might you tell "just one" friend or family member? O.o Ahh idk my mind doesn't make sense but if there was proof, would you draw attention to it or do your best to ignore/defend it?

I think a lot of people would say they wouldn't tell a soul, but I'm not sure if I believe that. I know the first thing I do when I see something Phanny (haha, oh to be British) that I go text my best friend about it. The thing with fandom is the boundaries get a little blurred when you spend your life analysing expressions :(

(But I wouldn't).[/offtopic]
i want dan's hair and phil's hips
backin09
living flop

Susanisnotafish wrote:What language was on Dan's socks, and does he even know? What does it say?Image
It's Japanese. I'm not a native speaker but 果たす (hatasu) means something like "to accomplish" or "to fulfill".
without the internet, we never would have met
captainspacecoat
stress mushroom

Susanisnotafish wrote: I think it's interesting how Dan scrapped his vid bc of Caspar's, yet what he replaced it with was to copy Phil. It's weird how copying Phil is ok to Dan and he calls it "being supportive". That's why Phil got Creator of the Year. Other than Phil copying Header for Dan, it's usually Phil coming up with ideas. Although Dan did come up with the book and tour and book trailer.
I think it's different with Phil just based on the fact that they have an actual relationship. Dan isn't really friends with Caspar, so if he were to release a similar video it would look like he'd copied Caspar or stolen his ideas without crediting him. With Phil though, a) Phil knows and respects Dan enough not to care if Dan used his ideas and b) I feel like it's sort of a 'what's yours is mine' thing.

They're a team professionally, they work together and have branded themselves together, and when you add that to the fact that they have a real, genuine relationship outside of youtube then it makes sense that Phil wouldn't be bitter about Dan seemingly 'copying' him sometimes. With Caspar, who Dan is not close to, it's just social etiquette to at least ask permission before making a similar video, but with Phil I think it just goes without saying that it's okay given the sort of relationship they have with each other as well as with each other's youtube channels.

I'd also argue that the DNA test vids weren't necessarily Phil's idea, loads of people on youtube have done them.

Also sidenote, I would have loved to see what Dan came up with for a 'wholesome roast', that could have been some great content, smh
citizen_erased
truth bomb

random thought, but considering how happy and bouncy they were in yesterday's liveshow, and they were filming gaming vids, I really hope that means we'll get really happy videos filled with tons of domestic bants <3

(also I'm really happy to see people loving this ls & dan's recent video so much. Dan's been getting so criticized lately, it's nice to see people actually really loving this content)
coffeepenguin
rainbow nerd

Obviously, the liveshow was great, I feel blessed and all that, but I'm wondering, when Dan was talking about the Edinburgh event, he said "phandom" (or "fandom", I guess, but more likely the former). Was it the first time they referred to the phandom as such without being prompted? I remember Louise calling during a liveshow where Deppy were together, their were pretty uncomfortable in the end when she was choosing how to refer to their audience:

Dan wants to be understood. Phil just wants to make the viewer smile and sell some backpacks (c) fancybum
saffarinda
truth bomb

Felt like popping in for a little thought explosion.

I liked the livestream on the mobile and on youtube. I've always watched from younow out of sheer habit that dates back to 2013 but the video seems somewhat clearer imo.

Enjoyed Dan's vid, thought the timing for it was vv good.

Agree with other peoples comments on Jack and copying content. I love Jack, he makes some funny content, but it's vv clear that the only impression he has of dnp is that their audience is composed soley of 12 year old girls (which wouldn't be a bad thing, but even so, it's incorrect), I guess that's just the stereotype that everyone has for them.

Glad the Edinburgh Fringe thing is being recorded, I really wanted to go because my family would've extended our time up there if I really wanted to (we're on our way home now aha) but I have my results day tomorrow - they seriously picked the worst day for me :cry:

(also if anyone is going up to the fringe I'd recommend seeing Not About Heroes, really great LGBT+ undertones - due to the era its set in - and amazing for anyone that enjoys poetry (or just Wilfred Owen and Siegfried Sassoon) it made my entire family cry)

Haven't been checking the forum regularly but I've been watching a lot of Superfruit, who mentioned in a liveshow that they don't want to do a housetour incase people get ahold of their blueprints and can find their house/break in - a fair few people knew where dnp's old place was so maybe they're attempting to avoid that this time.
25/04/2017 - #blessed
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

I watched the liveshow just now and I really enjoyed it. They both looked great and seemed very energetic and excited for upcoming things. I hope Dan does more of these on his phone without any proper set up. I like Golden Retriever syndrome!Dan better than normal liveshow Dan. I also really liked that is was shorter.. I know many will disagree on that considering the reaction Phil always gets to his short liveshows but I've always thought an hour was too damn much. I think I'm more inclined to actually watch these at a later time when they're about this long as well.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
twix
butt chair

first, re: teenage girl fans
whenever this topic comes up, i think it's worth pointing out that girls and young women are the most prolific youtube viewers in general. Even youtubers who you wouldn't assume to be huge draws for teenage girls (e.g. Anthony Fantano) have viewerships where teenage girls are vastly overrepresented when compared to the general population. I'm just like, Jack, who do you think is watching your videos? Additionally, it's also worth pointing out that it's not the presence of a female teenage fanbase on YouTube in and of itself that is considered degrading; Lilly Singh is very well regarded, for example. The Paul brothers on the other hand, are pretty universally not, and ([insert ban button here]) while that has a lot to do with how they are obnoxious as people/youtube colleagues, it also has a lot to do with their fans' intensity which is not unlike the phandom's. that fervor happens because teenage girls make up the majority of viewers, they know this, and therefore feel safer to express themselves.

second
gohomohowell wrote:What happens if something happens one day, and there's something in the background or referenced or anything like that, and it's definitive proof of Phan or anything else. It's not that obvious, casual viewers wouldnt join the dots or see it all. What would you do? Would you come on here/Tumblr/Twitter or keep it to yourself, hoping no one else would find out?
Well, I'm never one to notice anything. (maybe i'm in casual viewer mode.) So I have a hard time believing that if i saw something, half a million other people wouldn't immediately as well. As long as one person decides to points it out publicly-- or asks other people if their interpretation is correct-- the cat's going to be out of the bag. And we all know there's no way everyone would stay silent.

But i wouldn't choose to be the first person to break the news. definitive "proof" is just... not that interesting/important to me? (i'm also terrified of all the phandom members who would come after me). however i would immediately log on to social media to watch and see how other people choose to deal with it.

third, I recently finished reading a(n extremely mediocre; overall i don't recommend it) book about recording artists and negotiating authenticity. i thought the following passage (p. 243-245) might be interesting to look at the next time we start on the personas conversation again, or when dan gripes about integrity:
Behind questions of authenticity in music we can often discern the shadow of a different question. This is the problem of how self-consciousness affects performers.
The process of becoming a well known musician almost always involves thinking about how you project yourself to others. There is a gap between the person you think you are and the persona that others perceive. As a musician in the public view, you are forced to contemplate how big a gap this is, and think about how you want to be perceived. Donna Summer was not alone in feeling that her public wasn't really seeing 'the me nobody knows.'

There are two main responses to this gap. The first is to glorify the degree to which you are faking it-- to theatrically celebrate your ability to perform a role and to take on a persona (or a series of personas) that is clearly not meant to reflect the real you. This highly theatrical approach is, for instance, typical of camp music and of extravagant performers in the Broadway style, such as Bette Midler. [...] Going further and adopting a series of personas helped performers such as David Bowie and Madonna sidestep questions of 'real or fake' for much of their careers.

[....]

The second approach to this problem is for the performer to try to minimize the gap between person and persona. To do this you must try to project the authentic person and also live up to the persona you project. These are two slightly different tasks: the first involves simple honesty about who you are, the second can involve trying to avoid dishonesty by becoming the person that you are perceived to be. Sometimes it is extremely difficult to tell the difference, as the lives of John Lennon and Kurt Cobain show. But either way, this is the path that leads to the quest for personal authenticity, integrity, and sincerity in music.

Trying to close the gap between person and persona inevitably tends to involve you in bad faith,
for two reasons. First, no matter how hard you try, the gap remains unclosable. Any human personality is too complex to be projected in full, in a way that will survive transmission by the simplifying lens of the mass media. Second, as soon as you try to live up to your persona, you become aware of the gap between the person you used to be and the person you have become.
The perception of the self is highly complex, and a high level of self-contemplation often changes who you are.

The self is a fractured, ever-changing entity. It is ironic that trying to be authentic by closing the gap between person and persona forces the performer into contemplating the impossibility of absolute authenticity, which is one reason why personal authenticity must always remain a holy grail, just out of reach of the performer. The harder you try to 'be yourself,' the more you discover that it simply can't be done.
pastelspectre
stress mushroom
Pronouns: he/him

i'm a bit late to this and all sorry but i loved dan's youtube liveshow like yo i loved how bubbly and upbeat and all over the place he was. it was a good change from younow dan. i love younow dan don't get me wrong but it's nice to see another side of dan live. also when phil came in at the end i was so happy omg. they both look so good and happy and i got such boyfriend vibes when phil came in :oops:

also im living for the fact that dan has not one, but two winnie the pooh onesies. it's adorable
:transheart:
liola
rankussy

I SO wish he had blessed us with a selfie instead of a generic emoji-less tweet :cry: :cry:
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor