Dan & Phil Part 53: another two months

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
malday
emo goose

Ewok wrote:Well said. I'd never really considered this angle of their origin story, but I totally see where it would inspire some younger fans to throw caution to the wind and meet up with someone they've met online because PhAn~<3 did it and they're totes in love and all, so it must be okay.
You know who has a similar story to this? Felix and Marzia.
Literally the biggest youtuber met his younger gf from another country online when she was a fan of his, and they are a romantic couple and also a popular ship that gets romanticized by young fans too. But they never had any reticence about telling that story because it might inspire young people to do the same. They are also not ashamed of their story and as far as I know there is no one criticizing them for it.
So I doubt Dan and Phil downplayed their origin story as to not encourage young fans to meet, when Phil actually pointed out that people met and made friends through their videos as a plus.
I can't see them downplaying it for any other reason than privacy.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie
Pronouns: she/her

Boosting this message in the main thread:
jesp wrote:We've managed to make a small amount of progress - over the past couple of weeks we've had some help from a couple forum members, and we really appreciate everything they've been able to do for us behind the scenes.

As of right now, we're still not able to complete the move, but we're looking to have the transfer completed over the weekend. We have been trying to minimise disruption to the forum, but often it's out of our hands. There may be short periods where the forum is unavailable over the next few days, so I do apologise for that.

We hope to be completely back to normal soon, and once again I'd like to thank everyone for sticking with us.
And to add to it slightly, the forum will likely go down in a few hours and stay down for a slightly more extended period of time as we hopefully - cross your fingers - get the transfer done completely. Once the move is completed, there shouldn't be any further interruptions.
quietcrickets
smol bean

scientia wrote:from dizzy's timestamps:

"7:34 - Dan saying they met after he'd been doing youtube a year. "

Is this true though? Forgive me for getting my dates mixed up but I thought Dan started youtube the same year he and Phil met...?
You are correct. I don't think Dan was actually talking about when they met, though! At 7:34, he's discussing when he took a leap to make YouTube a career, and it became more than a hobby.

All Dan's saying at this timestamp is that they HAD met by this point. (And they certainly had lol.) For business people who know nothing about them, it's certainly implied that this is when they met... Especially given Phil's remark about Manchester. However, it was much less of a "lie" than it was a convenient implication, so the conversation could be re-directed. (Fair enough, since the topic of the talk wasn't about them meeting, and the target audience was not fans.)
pastelspectre
stress mushroom
Pronouns: he/him

i haven't seen the panel yet (but plan to in a couple minutes lol) but it seems good and worth watching! i dont mind that they downplayed how they met, i mean. its not a huge deal.

the dan vs phil was cute tho! everytime i watch a video that they make together now i just get huge boyfriend vibes lol. they had cute bants and it was a good game. i'm glad they played it together! it looks cute.
:transheart:
confusedpanda
ar·tic·u·late
Pronouns: Her/she

I finally got to watch the interview and got so much context to what was said this morning!! And I now totally agree with the whole reasoning of why said what they did about the whole already being in Manchester stuff. It was for sure in the right context for them to say (not really lying), which was something that I didn't really understand when first waking up to that tweet this morning after only a few hours of sleep.
Now onto the actual interview, I loved it?? Dan and Phil talking about the actual ins and outs of YouTube and how tv should take note of what to do to adapt, dat's vewy nice! Phil actually talking seriously and not having his persona self on much was such a enjoyable experience that I need to have more of in my life. Honestly, this interview to me is up there with the Huffington Post one they did back in 2015 for tabinof. Something about it was just very relaxed and inviting for an interview, which isn't something you get very often.

The gaming video was ok, not the best but ok. Phil roasting dan in the beginning for having a bright shirt was funny. But the game kinda made me stressed out because of how big the painting was and having to do it in so little time. Can't wait for golf with friends though!

Bit off topic, but I've been thinking about how the last day in the life was about a year ago. I wonder if they're saving it for something later on this year or what. But then I realized, didn't dan say something about them staying up north for a few more days? What if they film a day in the life while they're up there?? Phil's been posting videos at a rate of every 14 days to 17 days. I wonder if it's possible for that to be his next video?
We're here, we're queer, we're filled with existential fear!
gif cred: pseudophan on tumblr
mermaid blood
Moderator Emeritus

human wrote:That was SO enjoyable. Afterwards, I hugged them both and Dan said to me "hi again, thanks for coming up here to see us" (lol oops) and I told them both well done for the talk and that it was really interesting and I'd really enjoyed it and they thanked me.
I really enjoyed Dan's answer about vloggers getting bad press, like Zoella. He was so articulate and well spoken, he really got into his flow at this talk and it was a joy to listen to him clearly speaking his mind, feeling relaxed with Sue and getting into his stride; he was fully on. Phil was also exceptionally relaxed I thought, sometimes I feel like he answers things "correctly" but not very personably, and he really came across well today. All In all, I so enjoyed it.

Also, afterwards I was waiting for flarequake to come out of the loo and they walked past me with Marianne, she nodded at me and I nodded back but didn't really react much since the guys recognise me I guess and I'm not interested in causing a fuss. But I texted the observation below to our WhatsApp group and thought people might be interested:

I watched them walk through the crowded convention floor and nobody else there knew who they were they were all professionals and press and everyone was turning to watch him. He had this really beautiful sort of deer like quality and he gathered attention from people wondering who he was and phil was just following him and kept changing direction as dan did but dan was attracting so much attention. It was so interesting to watch? He just looked especially stunning somehow lol. Floofy hair and skinny jeans. He looked like a poster or a model. Gorgeous.
thanks so much for posting this, it's nice to see you again too Human. i liiive for first hand observations so this was extremely satisfying. <3
alittledizzy wrote:Boosting this message in the main thread:
jesp wrote:We've managed to make a small amount of progress - over the past couple of weeks we've had some help from a couple forum members, and we really appreciate everything they've been able to do for us behind the scenes.

As of right now, we're still not able to complete the move, but we're looking to have the transfer completed over the weekend. We have been trying to minimise disruption to the forum, but often it's out of our hands. There may be short periods where the forum is unavailable over the next few days, so I do apologise for that.

We hope to be completely back to normal soon, and once again I'd like to thank everyone for sticking with us.
And to add to it slightly, the forum will likely go down in a few hours and stay down for a slightly more extended period of time as we hopefully - cross your fingers - get the transfer done completely. Once the move is completed, there shouldn't be any further interruptions.
^ i know how hard the admin team has been working on this, so thank you for the hours you've put in so we can continue to enjoy this board. really appreciated.

I haven't watched the panel yet and i'm trying to avoid spoilers, but i'll say that the 30 second clip i just saw of Phil going 'that's the Dan i know' in that fond, low voice has given me a LOT of mushy feelings.

here are my stamps for the portrait video, which i surprisingly enjoyed more the second time after initially feeling it was a bit of a throw-away one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6k-t7TQWrk&t=0s

0.03 to 0.42 - Phil feels REALLY strongly about Dan's orange top, which isn't even that bright (i'd call it more of an intense pastel?) which i find slightly odd. but i enjoy passion from Phil, lol.
1.12 - both are competitive about their visual art skills, even though highschool was approximately 400 years ago for both. (i say this fondly as someone Phil's age)
1.55 - they would know about waiting, since a fan caught them getting their couple portrait taken on a boardwalk in the U.S. last year
2.10 - Dan 'service' innuendo
2.30 - Dan gets Phil back for not knowing how to pronounce 'copacetic' the other week. Phil is indignant at 'reticule' being a word. Dan sort of agrees through his tone that it's pompous, so interesting to compare their behaviour when correcting one another.
2.45 to 12.50 - they mostly heckle each other in equal amounts, Phil is particularly funny, but Dan does his thing where he starts to give Phil tips and then says 'i don't know why i'm helping you', as if he can't stop himself. Dan has an interesting relationship with competitiveness. Phil then does it himself which is rarer, at 10.42. they were feeling smooshy today i think.
10.08 - Dan: 'get your hand out of the way of the screen!' i don't know why but this delivery cracked me up.
11.40 - Phil is pissed that the game judged him unfairly, Dan backs him up.
11.54 ...but then Dan says he did a better job on something and Phil mocks the word 'skyline' hilariously and Dan joins in.
12.30 - Phil: 'that looks like i drew you!' big laughs.
12.44 - Phil praises Dan's shading.
12.51 - Basic Maths With Dan and Phil
13.28 - Phil tries to headbutt Dan's arm, fails. cuuuute.
14.20 - Phil 'i can feel it in my bone'. was this deliberate? i honestly can't tell. but omg lol at Dan with the effortless pull-back. just go with the erection joke, guys, we know you want to.
14.36 to 14.42 - something about this editing makes me compare it to the last time Dan pushed the board down on Phil's face at the end of a gaming vid. it's not just the same playful joke, it's the...lack of jump cuts maybe? Dan is once again shown doing the action, and then the bashful smile afterwards as he moves away, and some semi-awkward silence. the first time obviously had a longer, flirtier, more unedited section, but this gives me the same vibes. and again with Dan showing he's awkward when he has to do the promo end screen outro on his own with minimal bounce-off from Phil. i like it, it's endearing. i wonder who edited this one.

for comparison:

(11.25 - 11.47)

Maybe the similarities are a result of the mood at the time? they were quite sweet with one another and relaxed (and with the viewers? i guess is the more important aspect) during Gamingmas, and again lately i feel that. hmm.
art in avatar by lily
sparkle
blobfish

Ugh revision has got me in an antisocial hole... hi! If anyone wants to know about anthropomorphism being an irresistable taboo - I got you

I loved their last gaming video, maybe because I watched it with my girlfriend and we were both a combination of 'could they be more married' and 'oh my god what the fuck is this abstract art they are doing' :lol: (we had a serious talk a few days ago and I got her to go from 'they might be together' to 'its so obvious they're together can they just admit to it already' :D)

I also loved Dans liveshow, I watched it over breakfast the other day and it just put me in a really good mood. Love how he has two Winnie the Pooh onesies - thats absolutely adorable :D (also the gaming channel camera costs £2k?! like holy fuck)

Haven't watched their interview with Sue Perkins yet, i'm a little bit hesitant and idk why, I love Sue Perkins, I might save it for next week?

also I'm a little bit tinfoil with Dans liveshow. Like I'm finding it interesting that he filmed streamed from the gaming room because it allowed him to move around and show us things but in a space where it was extremely controlled - its fucking odd that they have a wardrobe in there and that they haven't fixed the soundproofing either. But we're expecting joint possessions to be in there, so I think its the safest room to mobile stream in because its internet 'safe'. Which is making me think even more that Phil's room is a set because every tiny detail will be analysed. You wouldn't film in your actual bedroom after your third move if you knew that just one little thing out of place (which is likely to happen) would be picked up on and torn apart.
:sparkle: dan howell gives me life :sparkle:
don't waste your time
or time will waste you
:sparkle:
000dia000
emo goose

malday wrote:
Ewok wrote:Well said. I'd never really considered this angle of their origin story, but I totally see where it would inspire some younger fans to throw caution to the wind and meet up with someone they've met online because PhAn~<3 did it and they're totes in love and all, so it must be okay.
You know who has a similar story to this? Felix and Marzia.
Literally the biggest youtuber met his younger gf from another country online when she was a fan of his, and they are a romantic couple and also a popular ship that gets romanticized by young fans too. But they never had any reticence about telling that story because it might inspire young people to do the same. They are also not ashamed of their story and as far as I know there is no one criticizing them for it.
So I doubt Dan and Phil downplayed their origin story as to not encourage young fans to meet, when Phil actually pointed out that people met and made friends through their videos as a plus.
I can't see them downplaying it for any other reason than privacy.
To be fair, I believe they actually met at a party first, or through a mutual friend? Correct me if I'm wrong. It definitely didn't meet as a fan and creator, especially if you consider that Marzia isn't Pewds exact demographic (even if she likes video games) and he was still quite obscure at the time.

Anyway, yeah, I'm just going to put this out there, but it's strange seeing the group mentality here of people's very sudden change in outlook on deppy's behavior. It was initially "I can't believe they're lying to us!" (that they actually do, and a lot) or at the very least tell a white lie for convenience sake. However, I see that the general consensus is suddenly to switch to defending them whenever they choose to do something, basing it upon their relationship and how because they are a closeted couple they need defending. I'm not sure anyone will agree with me, and a lot more of you will be very much like ????????? at me. I feel that there's less a diverse response now, or if there is any, people are beaten into agreeing and following what the general masses are saying. What I think? They lie sometimes, and that's perfectly fine where appropriate. However IDB is dangerously closing in and accepting their very frequent white lies as perfectly fine.

Dan/Phil allude to sleeping in separate beds? They're a closeted couple! It's normal for couples to sleep in different beds! Rather than the obvious answer in that they maybe they like the shipbaiting without the knock on effect of people knowing their personal life? Does anybody else feel at times that they as an audience member feel deluded? That even if they're a real couple they're being toyed along in this game? Even if you feel that phan is real, 100 percent sure about it, the sort of trust and defense people place in them and their relationship, regardless of what they say and the very mixed messages they give is just tiring.

I know I'm going to get the same response of "they have no obligation to share their relationship" and "but their privacy!!!" but here me out for one second? I'm just tired of the ambiguity sometimes, and would just prefer less "two beds" situation and more "what beds? who cares" where they just don't talk about it. People place so much trust in them that they excuse whatever they do, because they think deppy are hiding some deep secret of their relationship, or are somehow struggling. Are they struggling? They could fix a lot of their issues by dropping a lot of the walls and defense mechanisms they've put up, they don't have to come out, but could be normal, act normal. They're playing this act and it's tiring, and it's tiring reading people defend it all the time. Maybe just drop the consensus that they are perfectly oblivious and are actually fully aware of what they're doing.
:cactus:
George
sad dimple

coffeepenguin wrote:
George wrote:Another thing that got my attention was Dan's "occasionally you gonna do something that's really self indulgent and horrible and people are gonna be like - there was an attempt". Do you think he was talking about TABINOF trailer?
My mind immediately went 'the first time he has acknowledged the mess that was the memeing of life'.
coffeepenguin wrote:Now, that's interesting. citizen_erased said it, too, but if you look at the numbers on his channel, it didn't do so bad? It has 1K dislikes, which is what Dan usually gets from what I see under his recent videos. His rebranding video has 3K dislikes, same for the diss track (although it has four times the views, so I shouldn't maybe compare). But I don't really know how to compare these things, was the general reaction to the memes video so bad?
I'm quite surprised how good the numbers of the memeing of the life are. Maybe everyone watched it twice trying to make sense of it? :lol: It has almost 2K dislikes tho, while some of Dan's latest "normal" content, like his bahama and piano teacher videos, still have under 1K. The tune it was discussed both Tumblr and here wasn't that complimentary, and I'd thought Dan caught it.

And I agree with anyone saying Dan calling his and Phil's first meeting dodgy was kind of hilarious and actually surprisingly honest.
You should never go to sleep on an argument.
malday
emo goose

[offtopic]
000dia000 wrote:To be fair, I believe they actually met at a party first, or through a mutual friend? Correct me if I'm wrong. It definitely didn't meet as a fan and creator, especially if you consider that Marzia isn't Pewds exact demographic (even if she likes video games) and he was still quite obscure at the time.
As far as i know they started talking online when she was 19? after she saw his videos and they had an online relationship, while living in different countries for a few months before meeting up in person the same year. That's how they told that story.
[/offtopic]
Last edited by malday on Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fancybum
senpai

000dia000 wrote: Anyway, yeah, I'm just going to put this out there, but it's strange seeing the group mentality here of people's very sudden change in outlook on deppy's behavior. It was initially "I can't believe they're lying to us!" (that they actually do, and a lot) or at the very least tell a white lie for convenience sake. However, I see that the general consensus is suddenly to switch to defending them whenever they choose to do something, basing it upon their relationship and how because they are a closeted couple they need defending. I'm not sure anyone will agree with me, and a lot more of you will be very much like ????????? at me. I feel that there's less a diverse response now, or if there is any, people are beaten into agreeing and following what the general masses are saying. What I think? They lie sometimes, and that's perfectly fine where appropriate. However IDB is dangerously closing in and accepting their very frequent white lies as perfectly fine.

Dan/Phil allude to sleeping in separate beds? They're a closeted couple! It's normal for couples to sleep in different beds! Rather than the obvious answer in that they maybe they like the shipbaiting without the knock on effect of people knowing their personal life? Does anybody else feel at times that they as an audience member feel deluded? That even if they're a real couple they're being toyed along in this game? Even if you feel that phan is real, 100 percent sure about it, the sort of trust and defense people place in them and their relationship, regardless of what they say and the very mixed messages they give is just tiring.

I know I'm going to get the same response of "they have no obligation to share their relationship" and "but their privacy!!!" but here me out for one second? I'm just tired of the ambiguity sometimes, and would just prefer less "two beds" situation and more "what beds? who cares" where they just don't talk about it. People place so much trust in them that they excuse whatever they do, because they think deppy are hiding some deep secret of their relationship, or are somehow struggling. Are they struggling? They could fix a lot of their issues by dropping a lot of the walls and defense mechanisms they've put up, they don't have to come out, but could be normal, act normal. They're playing this act and it's tiring, and it's tiring reading people defend it all the time. Maybe just drop the consensus that they are perfectly oblivious and are actually fully aware of what they're doing.
I'm going to go ahead and call bullshit, sorry. I heard you out. I disagree. "Be normal"?? They are being normal. They're not trying to be ambiguous about their bed situation, they've actually been nothing but completely clear about that. Before you posted I was just going to come in with another tiring post about what exactly people think they're saying when they say 'Phil's room is a set' because.. what does that mean? In the last place, Dan's room was apparently a fucking nightmare mess outside the scope of the camera (clothes everywhere and whatever), but the parts filmed were always immaculate. Did that make his room a set? The answer has to be at least partly yes, as with just about anywhere else they bother to put on camera. What about Phil's old room? It's the same thing, so why didn't everybody chime in at every chance about what a set it was like they feel the need to now? The gaming room is a set you guys lol where's the tinfoil. Nothing has actually changed, I guess apart from the size of his room, which he gave a valid 'reason' for (sacrificing space to the gaming room instead). We literally have no idea where they sleep, only where they say they do, or imply they do (a la Sleepless Nights). There's no ambiguity on their end about that, that is 100% on the audience wanting to feel superior for 'knowing better'. So saying D&P should clear it up when they haven't even been unclear about that can only be some kind of request to 'come out'. Like literally what aren't they being clear about here that falls on them to somehow correct?
I'm just tired of the ambiguity sometimes, and would just prefer less "two beds" situation and more "what beds? who cares" where they just don't talk about it
Like what does this mean other than they need to 1. be clearer (...'come out'?) or 2. hide more things. How does 'being normal' equal 'just pretending they don't sleep anywhere at all rather than discuss it in any way shape or form, normal people don't even have bedrooms' (again, when they're actually quite clear about that specifically..??). I don't fully understand the complaint here, like how is it on them that the audience chooses not to believe things they are clearly saying.
Thanks and have a great day! Oil me
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Truly unsure why it would be preferable to call Dan and Phil out on everything, particularly things they choose to tell or not tell us that have no consequence for us besides satisfying our own curiosity? I'll take a fandom that, upon believing Dan and Phil are a closeted couple, respond with compassion and empathy over entitlement and outrage. Being a critical and self-aware fan doesn't mean you have to stop treating Dan and Phil like human beings.

And for people who don't think they're together - well then, fuck, what do you think they're lying about that they need to be less ambiguous about? Like fancybum said, there's no ambiguity on the bedroom issue in terms of what they've told us. Friend is the label, and the only label they use for each other. Going any further and you're basically asking them to stop interacting with each other the way they do which is just a weird thing to dictate to two strangers.

Anyway, happier things!
000dia000
emo goose

fancybum wrote: I'm going to go ahead and call bullshit, sorry. I heard you out. I disagree. "Be normal"?? They are being normal. They're not trying to be ambiguous about their bed situation, they've actually been nothing but completely clear about that. Before you posted I was just going to come in with another tiring post about what exactly people think they're saying when they say 'Phil's room is a set' because.. what does that mean? In the last place, Dan's room was apparently a fucking nightmare mess outside the scope of the camera (clothes everywhere and whatever), but the parts filmed were always immaculate. Did that make his room a set? The answer has to be at least partly yes, as with just about anywhere else they bother to put on camera. What about Phil's old room? It's the same thing, so why didn't everybody chime in at every chance about what a set it was like they feel the need to now? The gaming room is a set you guys lol where's the tinfoil. Nothing has actually changed, I guess apart from the size of his room, which he gave a valid 'reason' for (sacrificing space to the gaming room instead). We literally have no idea where they sleep, only where they say they do, or imply they do (a la Sleepless Nights). There's no ambiguity on their end about that, that is 100% on the audience wanting to feel superior for 'knowing better'. So saying D&P should clear it up when they haven't even been unclear about that can only be some kind of request to 'come out'. Like literally what aren't they being clear about here that falls on them to somehow correct?
I'm just tired of the ambiguity sometimes, and would just prefer less "two beds" situation and more "what beds? who cares" where they just don't talk about it
Like what does this mean other than they need to 1. be clearer (...'come out'?) or 2. hide more things. How does 'being normal' equal 'just pretending they don't sleep anywhere at all rather than discuss it in any way shape or form, normal people don't even have bedrooms' (again, when they're actually quite clear about that specifically..??). I don't fully understand the complaint here, like how is it on them that the audience chooses not to believe things they are clearly saying.
I think we're on very different pages, sorry. I'm not sure how to respond because you were talking about bedrooms being sets when I was just talking about how sometimes I find that some arguments on here can be a bit dismissive of how their one-step-forward-two-steps-back schtick and how that can be annoying. What I find annoying sometimes is how they deliberately put forward "seeds" of them being friends on their channels, and how people have just become accepting of it. It's just annoying, aren't you annoyed sometimes?

Anyway, I noticed that in the Sue Perkins interview, both Dan and Phil claimed that they rose to popularity based on just building an audience over the years and how they've never owed their careers to any viral videos. However, I remember a few people on here who were around in the mid-years of around 2011-2013 saying that Phil had more subscribers than Dan, up until Dan released his "I Will Go Down With This Ship" video that attracted a huge audience from Tumblr. The success from this video, and those in a similar tone/style thereafter had him surpass Phil in the number of subscribers on his channel. However, I'm not entirely sure Dan might be aware of this, or that every phan from this era might agree, but might just another white lie he told. It was certainly a popular video, and even if it gave him a leg up in subscribers, it may not constitute as "viral" so idk.
Is Phil lying down on something? Why is there a ticket just floating in the background on what looks like a wooden floor? Is it tucked into something? What are with these angles? If this was taken today, does that mean they are on their way back to London?
:cactus:
dontpanic
#relatable

000dia000 wrote:
Anyway, yeah, I'm just going to put this out there, but it's strange seeing the group mentality here of people's very sudden change in outlook on deppy's behavior. It was initially "I can't believe they're lying to us!" (that they actually do, and a lot) or at the very least tell a white lie for convenience sake. However, I see that the general consensus is suddenly to switch to defending them whenever they choose to do something, basing it upon their relationship and how because they are a closeted couple they need defending. I'm not sure anyone will agree with me, and a lot more of you will be very much like ????????? at me. I feel that there's less a diverse response now, or if there is any, people are beaten into agreeing and following what the general masses are saying. What I think? They lie sometimes, and that's perfectly fine where appropriate. However IDB is dangerously closing in and accepting their very frequent white lies as perfectly fine.
I don't have time to write out a full response, but I just want to mention that people have a right to change their opinions on something when presented with an alternate point of view; that's what happens on IDB all the time. People were quick to get upset about D&P's newest take on their origin story, but a lot of minds changed or partially changed after reading some well thought out posts saying it's not a big deal. This is always happening on idb, the whole point of discourse is to be open to other perspectives. I can't speak for other social media phandoms, but at least idb there's a lot of heated (but good natured) debate, I honestly don't understand how we could say "people are beaten into agreeing," I mean, just look at the pages and pages of discussion on the japan merch.
drearyquery
drama llama

Hello I'm a lurker and decided it was time to get my act together and be involved- so here I am! (Also pls excuse any mistakes)

Just a few thoughts about the talk (that I just watched) and idb's responses.
I totally agree that it's reasonable for deppy to share edited versions of their meeting story. And in this context their explanation made tons of sense. I wonder how much of their response was planned? Like do they talk ahead of time and agree 'this version makes sense for this event' or do they improv and trust each other? I also wonder how much marieanne inputs into their images and how they present theme selves especially in situations involving traditional media. It seems dnp are pretty savvy anyways so I don't know if they'd need it but maybe she still offers?

Also I think it's totally natural to change your mind about specific things especially in the context of idb. I know personally my intital response to anything dnp do is to analyze through a shipping lense, but once I take time to think or I read someone's thoughtful opinion I change and view stuff more respectfully. Maybe that's just me though.
sparkle
blobfish

000dia000 wrote: Is Phil lying down on something? Why is there a ticket just floating in the background on what looks like a wooden floor? Is it tucked into something? What are with these angles? If this was taken today, does that mean they are on their way back to London?
Going to guess they're on a reserved Virgin train in first class - the white ticket is a reservation marker. Guessing because the seat pattern is identical to this one, and it is has a wooden panel behind it

don't waste your time
or time will waste you
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

Oh yes, we have jackpot on the type of train ;) Ticket is a giveaway, and the wooden panel and leather-look seat for first class. His eyes look amazing, so much shine and grey for some reason. It's interesting to see such a close-up of the shape of his eyes and eyebrows.

I'm a little delayed cos I was so tired all day after getting home late last night, I had to take a nap to clear the brain-mush. Add chocolate (so sensible) and I feel awake enough now (to edit and post, I wrote this earlier while the forum was down and yay, hard-working admins, it's back!)

Wow, the gaming video was obnoxious. Such a difference from the TV talk when they were the epitome of calm pros. This kind of video I wonder would I rather hug them or smack them (neither, because consent, but anyway). I'm on Phil's side about his first picture, they all looked awful so how did that get such a bad grade, unless the game learns the player's skill level after that and adjusts. That peachy orange tshirt is pretty, honestly though I was there for Phil in his slightly tight tshirt, those make them look cuddlier by not swamping them (men in tighter clothes ftw). Really, trying to put each other off, telling each other to shut up and get out of the way, such behaviour from two gentlemen. Probably more because I was so tired and mushed in the brain after getting back late last night, I had to turn off 7 minutes in and go check the internet elsewhere before coming back, it was too much for me to take it all in. I linked them Draw with Jazza's recent speed-realism video cos he did that fairly well, but still found it hard and came undone after being a little cocky.

Yesterday was amazing, so good to see human, chat and walk around the city for the day. Quite a journey with tube, coach, plane and bus (got a taxi on the way in and my driver was great, we talked about whisky, taxis and stuff). The interview was very good, they said some really interesting things so I hope the TV people came away with some fresh insight. I was surprised their response to young people watching TV more was about opening it all up, which they answered twice, rather than the type of programmes. When they asked us what we last watched on TV and no one answered, I thought of Orphan Black, but then remembered it's on Netflix (and BBC America, but that's the point, it's not on TV in the UK).

I loved Phil's cheekiness slipping through when he said he doesn't swear etc, but Dan's different. There's a cute side to Phil I like. They both spoke well and Dan particularly really got into his stride, I mean you can see in the video without me telling you, but I feel proud of them for things like this (I have become a mum).

Being there in person was wonderful really. It was a small room, four sections of seats with 8 across each and maybe 8/10 rows back too. They seated us front and centre except for the first row and we filled four rows so I think there were 24 of us. Tiny amount, hence they were able to do a quick meetup in the five minutes they had before I assumed the next talk would be on, though that was cutting it fine. Still, the conference staff were fine about it and people were still milling around anyway. Staff guy pointed out the steps down from the stage to me afterwards and when I said to Marianne that it was sweet of her to do this, she said it's them, it's what they're like. I always think Dan especially remembers being a fan of Phil and bands when they're happy to meet us, even if they're pretty quick compared to some others (some really like to talk, others do, but are just shyer).

When they arrived it was while the lights were dimmed in anticipation and they came, Sue leading, down an aisle to our right so they'd come in an ordinary door (there was a door to the left with a no entry sign on, I'd thought they'd come through there). My first thought, like when I went to a meetup a while ago, was how big they are. When I've seen them onstage I'm surprised by how tall Phil is, but not for Dan, now though I do keep being amazed how big he is. His hair fluffs up to make him taller, but it's not just that. The end of his curls were sticking up too, it was quite cute.

I loved human's description of people turning to look at him when they walked through the crowd afterwards (it was a lovely round open space with a bar, a lot of people milling around, even a huge sparkly YouTube logo, they and BT, Britain's biggest phone company, were the main sponsors). Being reminiscent of a deer is like two years ago at Tatinof, Dan seemed willowy being so tall and slim.

Phil's voice is deeper too, as it is in his liveshows or videos sometimes when he uses his natural voice. I find his singing voice sexy as hell and his speaking voice has a resonance too. I've noticed before how he raises his head sometimes while he's listening and it gives him an elegant look (and as if his mind has wandered somewhere). He did that yesterday and also just agreeing with a "hmm" or a smile. I can see his cheekbones better on the video, he has such bone structure.

Honestly, I just watched the two of them the whole time. I looked at Sue a bit too, but couldn't see her so much beyond the person in front of me anyway. I loved her relaxed outfit, Nike trainers and the jumper saying Happy. Her hairstyle and glasses reminded me of Phil a bit, though her hair goes over in a different way (and more free-flowing, take note, Phil). She took a few photos with people afterwards too, she's always seemed sweet. Watching it again, and the gaming video, I was back to Phil-trash, but at the time I was pretty taken with Dan (it yoyos). His size is just amazing, the height, his arms. I find him cuddly when he seems younger in his liveshows, but there's also just wanting to put your arms around such a big guy. I don't go for muscly or stereotypically macho guys (into football and the dominant male role etc, give me an artist), maybe that's why it keeps surprising me or cos it's more obvious to me in person and that's a rare event.

It was funny when they answered about TV still being snobby and Phil passed it to Dan, again they gave a good answer. The baking montage was so funny, I was in tears laughing by the end of it, had to keep remembering to breathe. I don't think their baking's all that bad, it's a shame sometimes that they say they're terrible, but it gave the audience a good example of their videos, plus of course that was the baking/GBBO connection with Sue (took me until today for that penny to drop). They were even in their pastel outfits in one, shows they'll do a lot of fun things for entertainment. I'm not sure which answer it was, but human whispered "Phil for president" at one point. His answer about making more for young people to watch for less complaints that young people aren't watching TV... that was some good snark, though really it was just an honest fact. And of course Dan can't leave it too wholesome, but finishes off with "AI's going to kill us all".

The meetup was sweet. I wanted to say something to Marianne partly cos she's always having to be gatekeeper and bossy to the fans, also because I feel a bit daft and am not that far in age from her so want her to see us as more than fluffy-headed (even with so few of us, it got pushy with the excitement as if they'd get halfway through us and then leave). I said quickly to the boys as I hugged Dan that it had been really good, interesting answers, and they said thanks. I don't remember hugging Phil, it's weird how this happens. As Dan took my phone I said we're all co-ordinated and Phil joked "we look like a rock band" which might be why Dan looks a bit blurry in one photo, maybe he laughed. Here's the better photo: https://ibb.co/dH8ecQ
fancybum
senpai

000dia000 wrote: I think we're on very different pages, sorry. I'm not sure how to respond because you were talking about bedrooms being sets when I was just talking about how sometimes I find that some arguments on here can be a bit dismissive of how their one-step-forward-two-steps-back schtick and how that can be annoying. What I find annoying sometimes is how they deliberately put forward "seeds" of them being friends on their channels, and how people have just become accepting of it. It's just annoying, aren't you annoyed sometimes?
Sorry I zeroed in on the bed mention because I am always was already annoyed about it, but that wasn't the point of what you were saying. Did you mean they put forward seeds of being more than friends? Because I just.. disagree with that and am not annoyed with what people like to call their "boyfriend-y" behaviour. They say they're friends, and they act like friends. If there is more beyond that that potentially turns up in actions rather than labels, I'm very much not annoyed about it.
000dia000 wrote:What I think? They lie sometimes, and that's perfectly fine where appropriate. However IDB is dangerously closing in and accepting their very frequent white lies as perfectly fine.

Okay taking the bed thing out altogether, the issue is... that they're profiting off of people being very invested in something uncomfirmed by them? Like they get to keep their privacy to some extent while still reeling people in on ~ambiguity? I mean.. shrug. In comes the old chestnut of results not being the intent. They can't stop people shipping them- like if they confirmed one way or the other, interest/intensity of said interest may change/lessen, but people are going to keep on shipping them if they feel like it (and if it was confirmed to not be true, uh tinhatters are going to keep tinhatting lololol) the fact is that if they are together and don't want to tell people that, then they can really only do what they're doing, which is act how they want to act with each other (and whoops I guess sometimes those actions can be judged as 'two steps forward two steps back' (if you think certain things already..) depending on setting and comfort levels but humans gonna human) and let us all think whatever it is we're going to think about it (which can't be stated enough: people will do either way, I guess just with more forced logic or stubbornness).

I just don't think they really are giving mixed messages, or at least they're not trying to, it's just that a big amount of people think something about them that they're not in a position to confirm or deny and those people judge everything D&P do based around their own perceptions. None of that actually has anything to do with D&P in a fault/blame kind of way and if that's giving them too much leeway then I'm perfectly okay with that. Sometimes giving people the benefit of the doubt is easier and based on all the available information, the conclusions I've come to are ones I'm comfortable with for myself and make me comfortable accepting their 'white lies' when it's to do with their privacy. So nope, no annoyance there. They give me plenty non-privacy related things to be annoyed by anyway. Like waiting so long for more Golf with Friends when they haven't even announced their convention yet.

edit: flarequake that was the best write up ever, thanks for sharing it! definitely no jealousy about everyone who got to go, nope..
Thanks and have a great day! Oil me
iwishiwasacasual
glabella

000dia000 wrote: Anyway, yeah, I'm just going to put this out there, but it's strange seeing the group mentality here of people's very sudden change in outlook on deppy's behavior. It was initially "I can't believe they're lying to us!" (that they actually do, and a lot) or at the very least tell a white lie for convenience sake. However, I see that the general consensus is suddenly to switch to defending them whenever they choose to do something, basing it upon their relationship and how because they are a closeted couple they need defending. I'm not sure anyone will agree with me, and a lot more of you will be very much like ????????? at me. I feel that there's less a diverse response now, or if there is any, people are beaten into agreeing and following what the general masses are saying. What I think? They lie sometimes, and that's perfectly fine where appropriate. However IDB is dangerously closing in and accepting their very frequent white lies as perfectly fine.

i really like what you've written here, like you said sometimes there aren't many diverse opinions here. with any kind of group discussion people tend to go along with whatever the group decides and it's nice to see someone willing to disagree even when i agreed with the majority of people here (i am in no way saying that anyone here bullies others into agreeing its just a thing people do sometimes and its no ones fault)

tbh i just didn't care that they lied, like i know how they met and whatever they say in front of a bunch of people who probably aren't big fans of theirs (except for the few idbers that were there) isn't going to change that that lie wasn't meant for me. as for the general ambiguity i just can't bring myself to care about that either, you all have such interesting opinions about everything and all i can think of is '¯\_(ツ)_/¯ if thats what they want to do, that's their business' (although im not sure im the person you wanted to respond to this because im kinda ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ about whether phan is real or not as well)
susan2
rainbow nerd

Another nice pic from an Edinburgh sighting yesterday - Probably reiterating what everyone else has already said about the Edinburgh talk, but it was so refreshing to hear them talk in a more adult/professional setting (I usually struggle to watch them on panels at conventions due to the second-hand cringe/embarrassment of people screaming or potentially shouting things at them). They both came across as relaxed and confident, and passionate about what they do.

Was particularly interesting to hear Dan mentioning their responsibility to "live the PR responsible [side?] public face of the channel" [16:44] - something we don't often get to hear them acknowledge. (I wonder if at a business meeting someone's ever been like, so um Dan about this choking kink thing lol). Great to hear (adult, businessman, marketer) Phil speak lots, Dan's reaction to Sue saying "I want your life" was intriguing...followed by his explaining the work that goes on behind the scenes that the audience doesn't see, Phil saying that he doesn't get affected by mean comments and opening up just a little about turning 30, and Dan referencing Jon Snow's lecture (https://youtu.be/bOpMI3nWsrY) was great too [15:22] - nice to show he did his homework. Hope the trip was worthwhile for them, definitely seemed like it.

...now roll on Golf With Friends :D
dans left hand
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

anyone seen that nasty girl called googlepml (previously googleniall, you know, that one from all the liveshows as a top fan :roll:) talking sht about marianne on twitter? i see some of you confronting her and her being immature and nasty to you. if any of you want to private message me i can give you tea on her lmao. googleniall is known for making up this kind of bs rumours

p.s i have met dan and phil 3 times and marianne has always been lovely and really friendly towards me, so has their security. marianne is usually lovely to you if you arent pushy and bossy towards the boys.
flarequake
not an airport stalker

I saw the Twitter stuff and responded to it generally cos I thought Marianne was fine, being bossy to tell people to move back a bit onto the steps, not shouting at us horribly, and she said "'quick photo, no videos", they didn't have long after all. I thought maybe I'd missed something that they'd been to the left actually on the stage, but I think it was just different perspectives and some girls get in a snit about Marianne being firm, then also won't hear that they're not right to call her that (feelings are valid, but she's not unreasonable or unkind). Fleur was there too, waiting on the floor. They were both with Deps and Tom (and Niki and Sammy?) at Playlist in their beach photos on Twitter, but Fleur wasn't with them at their meetup. I don't know if she would have been with Tom, but it's interesting that Marianne takes the visible role even when they're both there. Good to have two of them, they're not exactly big enough to be bodyguards, but then if they needed one they'd hire one. Heck, I saw a woman bodyguard on a chatshow once and she wasn't very big, but it's a differently-skilled job.

One thing Dan kept doing in that talk, I feel bad saying it in a way cos it's a body language thing and I don't want to (over-) analyse him, but he kept pressing his lips together after he finished talking, I've seen it here and there in videos like the Pewdiepie and Marzia gaming collab after he made an obnoxious joke about Felix losing. It's interesting that he might not be so confident in what he's said or something, even though a lot of us think he talks really well and has intelligent things to say.

That's a good fan photo, Dan looks good and Phil's got quite a sweet look on his face.

Also thanks, fancybum. I wrote that quite flowing and rambly as it came to me so I'm glad it read well (I used to write stories and theatre reports more often, too long ago).
sparkle
blobfish

(I've been lurking on GG today, specifically on the PointlessBlog page because I irrationally cannot stand Alfie or Zoella (as well as Beckie0 don't even get me started on her))

While I was googling something they'd referenced about Alfie I saw this as one of the results
http://metro.co.uk/2017/08/24/zoella-al ... s-6875402/

could maybe Phan and Dil be doing something like this but trying to work out security to do it safely? I know theres the creator store in London, but I do wonder if they'd maybe do an IRL Store pop-up too? (Maybe even in Manchester - I'd love them to do something in Manchester)
don't waste your time
or time will waste you
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Just a small mod note to say that we are, obviously, back up and running and shouldn't have any more down times - and over the course of the weekend we'll be getting the forum back to looking like normal. :) (Or who knows... maybe better?)

Big thanks to our new host Ashley S. with Envesko - he posted a greeting over the introduction forum if anyone wants to go say hi!
flarequake
not an airport stalker

I don't know that they would, they sure wouldn't want to start meeting people and then have to leave and the YouTube Creator store has their merch. If they did, I think they'd do it as a ticketed or ballot event as usual to limit numbers, or just have the shop, but not make an appearance while the public are so close. How these guys didn't realise or think of that, I don't know. It's very well to say afterwards that it's a shop, not a meetup, but really they should know how things happen and it makes them look like they turn up for the promotion of giving a photo opportunity, then are happy to leave the fans standing there. Deps visited the YT shop as a launch promotion when it opened and half the shop was their stuff with plastic plants for a Phil touch, Tatinof playing on the TV on the wall, their Tatinof shirts in glass cases and some huge blowups of tour photos, but it was a private visit. They were photographed with their signed books for Twitter. I went along cos the Tatinof display was just for a week, took some photos and bought a sticker set (real big spender). I'm amazed this pop-up shop has enough stock.