Dan & Phil Part 54: Born in the fires of the internet

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
LtrllySusan
lava lamp

lemon something wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:21 am I loved most of the video. I'm always entertained by danecdotes and there was great Phil content. The "one of the most fun years that I ever had" ending spoilt it for me though. Really Dan? When you've just described how you went to one seminar the entire year and always sat in the corner at the back in lectures? And described the impact of quite severe anxiety on your first week? Of the course you left after a year?

As someone who genuinely had a difficult time at university because of anxiety, the disconnect between the statement and the rest of the video was too strong and left it feeling disingenuous. Either the end statement wasn't true and shouldn't have been in there, or I wanted an explanation of how things got better. Of course the huge thing that it's hard for Dan to talk about is the true impact of having a Phil nearby. I'm sure he provided more fun, support and stress relief than can be explained by his ownership of a washing machine.
I think sometimes it's easier to forget about struggles of the past, especially if you have a culprit to blame everything on (his degree choice). It might seem like a good time period for him now, maybe because things were easier back then, both with the fame and maybe even with his relationship with Phil (pre-leak). I think when he said he would have liked more years like that, it was more refering to the (somewhat) worry-free livestyle where there's a schedule for everyday and where you know what you are doing in 6 months, when he didn't have to worry about going outside (for whatever reason that is today) and when people didn't care that terribly much about everything.

(Can you tell I have recently graduated... I hated my last 2 years but I am already wishing I could be a student again. The lifestyle is easier, even when the degree sucks)
casualIDBstalker
drama llama

missemma wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:45 pm
casualIDBstalker wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:20 pm Maybe that's a fridge in the snug/slounge - the other side of the wall with the pixel mirror. I mentioned them potentially having 2 kitchens or a full kitchen upstairs & a wet bar in the snug room, so maybe that's the empty fridge, no point in keeping food in there if the main kitchen is upstairs & that's where they spend a majority of their time other than in the bedrooms/gaming channel room
I did think that it could be a mini fridge for a few minutes but on closer inspection that's definitely a fridge freezer from today's video as along the top you can see the words "freezer" and "fridge". Seems strange they'd have one of them in the slounge.
But if it's a kitchenette or wet bar, there usually is a fridge in those spaces, so it's not really strange. That's why I think it's empty/not used, bcuz they spend a majority of their time in the upstairs lounge. No point in stocking 2 fridges when you don't typically use the space.
blackdenim
procrastinator

bookfiend wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:42 am Not sure if anyone has suggested this previously. There's a lot of discussion going on which I'm loving. But is it possible that the 2 separate flats is true, perhaps with a connecting door.

However, instead of them living separately (which between their co-dependence and the moon room reveal I will never believe unless they directly say it) the 2nd flat is just for filming. It's why Phil's set room, D&P games and other parts of the house feel so impersonal whereas the main lounge and moon room don't. It would explain why they have the two fridges but one is clearly not used often if the second flat is technically empty unless they're filming in it.

They already stated when they moved in how they were planning to separate more where they film and where they live. They just might have gone further to separate it all then we realised :shrug:
This is now the theory I'm going with. 2 flats in the same block. Possibly connected. One for work and one for home. Explains the weird layout, different doors/windows, etc.

Zalfie have practically a whole extra house as their 'office' so it's not impossible!

Also if you rent an office space you can claim it as a tax deduction so it's not even a huge waste of money for them I guess.
smol beans
squish

i want someone to literally sketch out the possible layout of the house. i am so confused now that there could be a possible 3rd floor because i pictured in my head to be a 2 story flat. although there are common 3 story apartment/townhomes in the US but i don't know about the UK.... it's also not strange to have 2 kitchens in the US either, but it's mostly built in larger houses that have 2-3 stories, not apartments/lofts. the mini kitchen is usually located in the basement that's just a bar counter top with a mini fridge, wine rack and a microwave but won't have full appliances like an oven or stovetop.

i am just genuinely curious because i like to look at floor plans on pinterest and get ideas for building houses on the sims lol. i do agree and feel the same way that their "main" lounge area where dan has his computer and does his liveshows and from the looks of the main kitchen it feels "home-ier" with their personal possessions, versus the gaming room and phil's room that feels/looks staged.
eXcUsE mE?
whut is the opposite of s m o l , halppy, yellow sun?
captainspacecoat
stress mushroom
Pronouns: she/her

It's not impossible that they would have two separate apartments for filming vs living, but the fact that they have shown us plenty of their supposed lived-in apartment (upstairs living area, glimpses of kitchen, Dan's liveshow space, the moon room) makes me doubt that theory. If anything, I feel like they've actually shown us less of their filming spaces than they have the rest of their rooms - we see Phil's bedroom and the gaming room in videos, and we've seen the slounge a few times in live shows months ago. Whereas, photos they share with us usually seem to be taken in the upstairs lounge, which would dispute the suggestion that that room is a part of their private, non-filmed apartment. I think it's more likely their apartment really is just huge and confusing, and the bottom floor doesn't match the top floor/s.

The most compelling aspect of their layout to me is the fact that the room with the balcony off it is tiled like Phil's bedroom and the gaming room. That threw me, as I would have assumed the balcony would come off a living space. Maybe the slounge is also tiled? Either that, or there's a kitchen with those tiles and the balcony's off that, although I've never heard of a kitchen balcony. Or, there is another unseen room with tiles in it that we've never seen :illuminati:
ultraviolet
dank meme

Previously 'aonokanata'! :haru:
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

I love Phil.
fancybum
senpai

aonokanata wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:40 pm
Oh wow get a load of these mad lads living it up on vacation :lol:
Is it raining somewhere vacation-y rn... :sherlock:
Thanks and have a great day! Oil me
goldenmermaid
drama llama

captainspacecoat wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:18 pm The most compelling aspect of their layout to me is the fact that the room with the balcony off it is tiled like Phil's bedroom and the gaming room. That threw me, as I would have assumed the balcony would come off a living space. Maybe the slounge is also tiled? Either that, or there's a kitchen with those tiles and the balcony's off that, although I've never heard of a kitchen balcony. Or, there is another unseen room with tiles in it that we've never seen :illuminati:
I think we saw from Dan's last liveshow that the balcony does seem to be attached to the kitchen? I think a few pages back there are some screenshots
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

I want to know why the hell Phil is sitting around, working on a coloring book whilst on vacation. Relaxing, sure. But isn't there a boat he could be on?

In other news... I really miss handicapped gaming. :cry:
captainspacecoat
stress mushroom

goldenmermaid wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:52 pm
I think we saw from Dan's last liveshow that the balcony does seem to be attached to the kitchen? I think a few pages back there are some screenshots
Oh yeah, you're right! Whoops, I totally forgot about that. Never mind me then.

In other news, I hope they are having a lovely relaxing time on holiday. I would honestly love to spend some time just chilling out, colouring in weird eagles with spider legs, sounds genuinely very rejuvenating.
onceinaugust
rainbow nerd

rizzo wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:53 pm I want to know why the hell Phil is sitting around, working on a coloring book whilst on vacation. Relaxing, sure. But isn't there a boat he could be on?

In other news... I really miss handicapped gaming. :cry:
I was just thinking how relatable that is, since I just came back from a vacation where we sat around a bunch of nights just drinking and coloring.
"You loved it, you want to do it more."
"Alright"
liola
rankussy

I can't quote for some reason but I think I said a couple of pages back that I think their house is 3 stories because in the joint liveshow Phil said something about bringing the cleaning wipes "upstairs".

From what they said in the first liveshow in the new house, where they were in the slounge, the whole filming area so gaming channel, Dan's filming area with the glass wall and Phil's bedroom seem to be on the first floor, along a small bathroom I guess and possibly a kitchenette ( maybe an open space with the lounge? Would make sense).

Then there's the upstairs with the kitchen, the pretty modern lounge with Dan's liveshow corner and the curved wall. I'm assuming at this point that there's another floor with the master bedroom/moon room and a bathroom?

It seems like a lot of room but even their London apartment was divided in three stories basically so I wouldn't find it THAT weird. This place is obviously more modern and bigger, if it has 2 bathroom I don't find it weird if it was a small kitchen area downstairs - I know lots of people with big houses that have that too.
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
ultraviolet
dank meme

I'm really feeling down about Dan & Phil being friends with PewdiePie. I was watching a recent live show, and I picked up on (IIRC) Dan mentioning them playing some game or whatever with "Felix and Marzia." This was well after the whole thing about PewdiePie being (rightfully) blasted by the media for his trend of making anti-Semitic jokes... at least I think so anyway, if anyone knows the live show I'm talking about, feel free to correct me.

And now that PewdiePie is getting a ton of heat (again... rightfully) for using the N-word on a stream, I am officially finding it inexcusable for them to remain friends with him. I don't care if PewdiePie is the nicest guy IRL, or -insert excuse here-, why are they still associating with someone who makes such hateful "jokes" and says such vile words??
Previously 'aonokanata'! :haru:
archived
drama llama
Pronouns: dying

I'm a bit late to the party but oh well.

Overall, I enjoyed the video. It felt like one of of his old videos, with all the funny cutaways. I also appreciated the genuine advice mixed in with the jokes. Plus the thug cameo from Phil.

Not entirely so happy about the agoraphobia joke. Like some of his #relatable jokes, although I acknowledge he uses humour as a 'coping mechanism' as do I, seem forced at the best of times and kind of annoy me. Like general jokes about being awkward and not going outside are one thing but agoraphobia is quite serious from my knowledge and it seemed insulting for him to exploit it for a generic joke.

Also, for people who believe Dan and Phil share a room. What do you make of the sign on his dorr that says 'Daniel's room' then some Japanese characters.
sorry if I come off a bit wanky

... but I'm probably right you know
fancybum
senpai

archived wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:37 pm Also, for people who believe Dan and Phil share a room. What do you make of the sign on his dorr that says 'Daniel's room' then some Japanese characters.
I used to think they shared a room until I saw that. It's probably cursed with some kind of Phil-repellant that keeps Phil from entering (like garlic for a vampire). Hm. Phan cancelled I guess, but it was sure fun while it lasted. :cry:
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

archived wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:37 pmNot entirely so happy about the agoraphobia joke. Like some of his #relatable jokes, although I acknowledge he uses humour as a 'coping mechanism' as do I, seem forced at the best of times and kind of annoy me. Like general jokes about being awkward and not going outside are one thing but agoraphobia is quite serious from my knowledge and it seemed insulting for him to exploit it for a generic joke.
I've seen other people express similar sentiments but out of laziness am only quoting you, though I invite anyone to answer: How is him (twice now, since he also said it in the meme video) saying that he uses relatable humor to deal with agoraphobia, making agoraphobia into a joke? To me that sounds like he's offering a qualifier to his audience. He literally spelled it out in the meme video, the exact quote is: ""Before you start laughing, let me make you feel bad and explain myself: I am socially awkward, incredibly anxious, and have mild agoraphobia." That's just... not a joke. That's Dan making a statement firsthand about himself.
relatablemood
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

aonokanata wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:59 pm I'm really feeling down about Dan & Phil being friends with PewdiePie. I was watching a recent live show, and I picked up on (IIRC) Dan mentioning them playing some game or whatever with "Felix and Marzia." This was well after the whole thing about PewdiePie being (rightfully) blasted by the media for his trend of making anti-Semitic jokes... at least I think so anyway, if anyone knows the live show I'm talking about, feel free to correct me.

And now that PewdiePie is getting a ton of heat (again... rightfully) for using the N-word on a stream, I am officially finding it inexcusable for them to remain friends with him. I don't care if PewdiePie is the nicest guy IRL, or -insert excuse here-, why are they still associating with someone who makes such hateful "jokes" and says such vile words??
I wouldn't be too surprised. Dan loves Kanye West, remember? But I would say that while PewDiePie is saying awful things it's not something many people would give up a friendship for - rather, they'd try to re-educate them and make sure they never say it in their presence or anyone's it causes harm to, if not at all. Plus, it's not fair to expect them to cut Felix out all of a sudden when he's a colleague they'll have to interact with at parties etc. in the future. But I get your feelings and I'm sorry you're down about it :love1:
alittledizzy wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:49 pm
archived wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:37 pmNot entirely so happy about the agoraphobia joke. Like some of his #relatable jokes, although I acknowledge he uses humour as a 'coping mechanism' as do I, seem forced at the best of times and kind of annoy me. Like general jokes about being awkward and not going outside are one thing but agoraphobia is quite serious from my knowledge and it seemed insulting for him to exploit it for a generic joke.
I've seen other people express similar sentiments but out of laziness am only quoting you, though I invite anyone to answer: How is him (twice now, since he also said it in the meme video) saying that he uses relatable humor to deal with agoraphobia, making agoraphobia into a joke? To me that sounds like he's offering a qualifier to his audience. He literally spelled it out in the meme video, the exact quote is: ""Before you start laughing, let me make you feel bad and explain myself: I am socially awkward, incredibly anxious, and have mild agoraphobia." That's just... not a joke. That's Dan making a statement firsthand about himself.
I don't like it either because agoraphobia is serious and calling it mild shows that this is perhaps him self-diagnosing. It's like people saying "oh, I'm a bit bipolar". God, I get annoyed by self diagnosers :cry:
i want dan's hair and phil's hips
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

gohomohowell wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:07 pm
I don't like it either because agoraphobia is serious and calling it mild shows that this is perhaps him self-diagnosing. It's like people saying "oh, I'm a bit bipolar". God, I get annoyed by self diagnosers :cry:
Why would you assume a self-diagnosis based on the word mild? We don't know one way or the other, but mild forms of mental health conditions do exist. That's why some people are medicated and therapy works for some, why medications come in varying doses. Because not everyone experiences these issues at the same depth. But just because someone doesn't suffer the worst possible scenario of a condition doesn't mean that they don't have the condition at all?
obscureDnPreference
procrastinator
Pronouns: she/her/hers

I would definitely agree with the bolded statement. I went back and watched the meme video after this one and I think he is being completely serious. He's making a statement about himself. I don't like speculating about other's mental health but in my opinion, he's made it pretty clear that he struggles with anxiety and his coping mechanism is humor about the topic, which I totally get. I also cope with humor.

EDIT: Removed an example from my own life.

As for self-diagnosing, we don't know if he's been diagnosed with anything. And why should we? That's a very private thing. My sisters and I have all struggled with mental health problems for the last decade and we never knew about each other's problems until recently. He very well could be diagnosed and he has no obligation to tell us if he is or isn't. Joking about a thing does not mean you don't understand it.
"This is not children's television. I'm 26, I'm depressed, and I need edgy jokes to cope with my anxiety."
Daniel Howell, 10/30/17
citizen_erased
truth bomb

Agreed. Nothing about his statement in the video struck me as "exploiting mental illness". I definitely got "I have agoraphobia and it's getting worse" which I think is almost literally what he said? How do you even construct that into exploitation. Can this boy do anything right for you guys.

I've seen a lot of "but he's so rich and has a good life and definitely goes out with friends so how dare he talk about mental illness" types of posts around here lately, and it's incredibly upsetting to me, as a person with massive anxiety who still goes out with friends. Is his anxiety not valid because he still goes outside? Is his anxiety not valid because he's rich? Is all the talk about "your anxiety is valid no matter what" and "mental illness doesn't distinguish between rich and poor" just false talk to look woke and progressive? Was my own mental illness not worthy of warranting years of therapy because I never locked myself up in my room despite diagnosed social anxiety?
captainspacecoat wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:03 am I said in a post a few days ago (hi Dan, btw, if you read that lmao) that Dan has talked about mental illness in a fairly upfront way this past year, stating "I have social anxiety" and mentioning "mild agoraphobia" multiple times now. It makes sense to me that his depressing, self-deprecating 'jokes' may very well stem from reality, and I think it's easy to forget that Dan is actually a real human being who experiences real human emotions, and is not immune from the same mental health struggles many of us are dealing with. This has turned into a messy rant, but I guess I'm trying to say that experience with mental illness is so incredibly varied and subjective, and I think it's time to take Dan at his word. Some of the discourse surrounding Dan's mentions of mental health remind me of the discourse surrounding his sexuality - until he explicitly comes out as not-straight, people will presume he is straight. Similarly, until he explicitly informs us that he has a mental illness, people will believe he is faking it/playing it up for views.

(Having said that though, it's another thing entirely to diagnose him with something he may not have - I don't condone that at all!)
This is basically what I want to say but I'm not that great with words.
fancybum
senpai

gohomohowell wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:07 pm
aonokanata wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:59 pm I'm really feeling down about Dan & Phil being friends with PewdiePie. I was watching a recent live show, and I picked up on (IIRC) Dan mentioning them playing some game or whatever with "Felix and Marzia." This was well after the whole thing about PewdiePie being (rightfully) blasted by the media for his trend of making anti-Semitic jokes... at least I think so anyway, if anyone knows the live show I'm talking about, feel free to correct me.

I wouldn't be too surprised. Dan loves Kanye West, remember? But I would say that while PewDiePie is saying awful things it's not something many people would give up a friendship for - rather, they'd try to re-educate them and make sure they never say it in their presence or anyone's it causes harm to, if not at all. Plus, it's not fair to expect them to cut Felix out all of a sudden when he's a colleague they'll have to interact with at parties etc. in the future. But I get your feelings and I'm sorry you're down about it :love1:

What? That's totally fair. Everybody should cut him out and he should be shunned from parties tbh (not that I think he's that actively involved in YT get-togethers anyway, nor has he ever been), that's a complete non-issue. When even was the last time D&P hung out with Felix/Marzia? I don't think there's much close friendship there to cling onto anyway and even if there was, it's beyond time they said something about how gross he's been and continues to be.
goldenmermaid
drama llama

gohomohowell wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:07 pm I don't like it either because agoraphobia is serious and calling it mild shows that this is perhaps him self-diagnosing. It's like people saying "oh, I'm a bit bipolar". God, I get annoyed by self diagnosers :cry:
Not saying that Dan has agoraphobia or has been officially diagnosed, but "mild agoraphobia" can be a diagnosis in itself? The severity of agoraphobia varies greatly between individuals, in the same way that symptoms of depression vary from mild to severe depending on the person. I know people who have been officially diagnosed with mild depression, for example.
Last edited by goldenmermaid on Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grenadine
crusty sponge

[/quote]

there is a difference between bipolar disorder and agoraphobia and i wouldn't be so quick to compere them. you can't say that everyone with agoraphobia is experiancing it the same way it is actually 'pretty dan' to make it sound less serious so there will be less of a backlash that he does it for attention.
bookfiend
spork
Pronouns: She/her

archived wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:37 pm Also, for people who believe Dan and Phil share a room. What do you make of the sign on his dorr that says 'Daniel's room' then some Japanese characters.
Easy, it's not the door to the moon room but his office room in the slounge.

Look at the wall it's not wall but the grey curtains and you can see Dan move in the glass as he's peaking out the door