Dan & Phil Part 54: Born in the fires of the internet

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
AroboticPhil
sad dimple
Pronouns: she

alittledizzy wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:28 pm apparently Louise is angling for Dan and Phil to do a baby with her.
I think (hope) there's a word missing haha

This also made me think about youtube
friendships and idk do you guys think people like Louise (that they don't see that often I think) asking deppy (or others, in general) to collab can make the friendship feels less genuine or ?
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie
Pronouns: she/her

AroboticPhil wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:36 pm
alittledizzy wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:28 pm apparently Louise is angling for Dan and Phil to do a baby with her.
I think (hope) there's a word missing haha

This also made me think about youtube
friendships and idk do you guys think people like Louise (that they don't see that often I think) asking deppy (or others, in general) to collab can make the friendship feels less genuine or ?
..... lmfao yes, definitely a word missing.

I think collabs where the people literally never hang out except to collab feel less genuine if you think these people are actually friends off-camera. If you view them more like coworkers who get along, then the collabs feel quite representative of the relationships that they have. They like each other, and they recognize a mutually beneficial situation, but it's not a close bond.
susan2
rainbow nerd

alittledizzy wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:28 pm I don't have a link or timestamp since I got this in an ask on tumblr, but apparently Louise is angling for Dan and Phil to do a baby video with her. According to the informative anon, she said:
I'm in talks with probably your favourite youtubers, D & P. Yeah yeah, gonna see if they wanna make a little cheeky baby video with me if we're free
[20:36]
MaggieW
glabella

This video is great for me for this time on the year. I'm considering to go to uni again, after failing after 2 years of studying law, to start a career that I actually like (yay!). But I'm so scared because that uni is on a town I've never been before, and I probably would need to move by myself at some point. It's so scary, I totally understand how Dan was feeling, specially if you consider that it was his first year at uni. Lots of changes in a little amount of time.
However, it was really cute that he called his grandma when he needed someone to talk to. They seem to have a close relationship and that's lovely :love2:

The sketches were great too! Usually I'm not too fond of those but this time they were placed perfectly and they made me laugh several times. :2thumbsup:

My favourite bits... probably the part about the library. Oh my god that was weird. Also everytime Phil was on it were great!

And, about his mental health: I'm really happy that he is being more open about it. I used to pack all my feelings inside me and that only made my anxiety and depression worse. But when I started talking about it, even if it was just a joke about my own suffering lol, it really really helped. I hope it's the same for him. <3
missemma
#teamshavedsides
#teamshavedsides

casualIDBstalker wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:20 pm Maybe that's a fridge in the snug/slounge - the other side of the wall with the pixel mirror. I mentioned them potentially having 2 kitchens or a full kitchen upstairs & a wet bar in the snug room, so maybe that's the empty fridge, no point in keeping food in there if the main kitchen is upstairs & that's where they spend a majority of their time other than in the bedrooms/gaming channel room
I did think that it could be a mini fridge for a few minutes but on closer inspection that's definitely a fridge freezer from today's video as along the top you can see the words "freezer" and "fridge". Seems strange they'd have one of them in the slounge.
:prideheart: :gayaf: :prideheart:
pastelspectre
stress mushroom
Pronouns: he/him

i legit loved this video omg. i'm glad he talked more about his mental health (funny if you think about it cause of all the discussion we've been having about it here...hmmm), and i was glad he did this video! gives me some advice since i am in college currently. i don't live in a dorm or halls, but i do have classes two days a week and am having a difficult time being social so this video sort of..perked me up in a weird way? im glad phil was mentioned and shown in this video haha. good cameos. overall i loved this video!! i'm definitely going to rewatch it again and again.
:transheart:
annabanana
sofa crease

I really enjoyed this video! It was giving me the same vibes as his "I Nearly Blinded Myself" video with the pacing and quick cuts to sketches. I think this style of video really highlights his charismatic storytelling ability and his editing skills.

I know Dan has said that he scripts out his videos, but I do wonder how much he actually writes out beforehand. Is it a word-by-word script or just a general outline? I'm always just surprised how much information/story he can succinctly fit in a video like this when we also know how waffly he can be. :breakfast: Maybe it's just the luxury of being able to do multiple takes.

All of the new apartment angles were great. I'm looking forward to the updated layout sketches, IDB architects. :lol: I was a bit surprised by the balcony shot. Not that I know anything about London building aesthetics, but the orange-brown siding seems like it would be distinctive. :shrug:
Have a red velvet cupcake and for fucks sake, dip some toast in your soup. Bye.
autumnhearth
senpai

Oh hi IDB you're back up! Good video, yay sketches! While I had heard half of those stories before, I did enjoy the way they were presented and his self-deprecation seemed pretty honest/genuine and dare I say healthy?

I have lots of screenshots, may do a post tomorrow, but just wanted to say I definitely think they have two kitchens, but only one of them is stocked. Not only do we have the completely empty fridge, but they have a second dining table with their colorful chairs, which was not what we saw in the background of Dan's ls.

I think almost everything we saw in that video is downstairs (mostly because of the flooring) including the balcony. I have lots of thoughts, but they mostly equal to: damn that place is weird, modern and confusing. So I'm going to come back to it tomorrow.

(The washer/dryer was interesting, it had hinges attached to it and white panel door that could close on it. I suppose it could still be in one of the kitchens but I'm going to guess that it is actually a part of one of those big white closets they have.)
relatablemood
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

I can't wait for the official blue prints of Dan and Phil's house to be passed around, good work guys :lol:

No real comment on Dan's video. It was funny and genuine but I wasn't overly thrilled with it. Maybe because it felt like a low-effort video, maybe because I'm not part of the audience going to uni yet.
i want dan's hair and phil's hips
human
dan hand trash

From someone who didn't go to conventional brick uni (I do open uni whilst working), I really loved this Dan video. It was funny, witty, I loved the cut scenes and the editing was excellent. I'm really enjoying Dan's content right now, I just feel like he's putting more into their production and he has a bit more to say with them. I'm living for this era, tbh lol.

Phil's scenes did deserve an oscar, I was sure he'd punched Dan in the willy the first time I watched it haha. Alas no, just his tummy I think.
mysterylovescompany
morning quiff

his uni experience might have been totally different to mine in some respects (no halls for me!), but i really really liked this new video. also, i was scrolling through tumblr and saw so many gifsets and reblogs of the scene where phil mugs dan. omg you guys phil is totally overshadowing dan... everyone's turning into philstans, even on dan's own video!!! :cry: /s

jokes aside the whole video was great! i saw all the different angles of the flat and ofc i thought of idb. i'm not gifted in stalking but i love reading posts about it. :tinfoil:

as for bryony, i follow her on twitter because she's funny, and i reply to her sometimes, but i'd get annoyed too if people asked me about dan and phil on unrelated tweets, just because i might know them irl. i don't really blame her tbh.

@fondsmiles this is not related to anything but i get a jolt every time i see your avatar because i used to have the same one for a while. it's a good pic! :)
lemon something
smol bean

I loved most of the video. I'm always entertained by danecdotes and there was great Phil content. The "one of the most fun years that I ever had" ending spoilt it for me though. Really Dan? When you've just described how you went to one seminar the entire year and always sat in the corner at the back in lectures? And described the impact of quite severe anxiety on your first week? Of the course you left after a year?

As someone who genuinely had a difficult time at university because of anxiety, the disconnect between the statement and the rest of the video was too strong and left it feeling disingenuous. Either the end statement wasn't true and shouldn't have been in there, or I wanted an explanation of how things got better. Of course the huge thing that it's hard for Dan to talk about is the true impact of having a Phil nearby. I'm sure he provided more fun, support and stress relief than can be explained by his ownership of a washing machine.
blackdenim
procrastinator

I haven't watched the video yet, but re: fridge-gate. Is my two-flats theory actually coming true!?!? I would die if in like a year they moved to a new place and revealed that they'd been living semi-seperately hahaha.
lilabet
philussy
Pronouns: She/Her

blackdenim wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:40 am I haven't watched the video yet, but re: fridge-gate. Is my two-flats theory actually coming true!?!? I would die if in like a year they moved to a new place and revealed that they'd been living semi-seperately hahaha.
It's seems to be a yes and no. :shrug: They have an extra fridge but nothing in it. Then again it could have just been cleaned out (going on holiday, haven't been shopping, saw the analysis of the fridge in the tinder video).

I have lived in houses with extra kitchens/lounges downstairs and upstairs or one end of the house to the other. I have a large family that needs extra rooms. Once you have a certain amount of space they start adding extra shared spaces not just bathroom's. Like someone suggested it's usually done when you've added something like a granny flat in.

Didn't Dan say it had like 9 floors?
Phandom Gives
@phandomgives on social media. Check out the website for the latest information and current donation drive! <3
citizen_erased
truth bomb

Well I guess he's having a fun holiday?
blackdenim
procrastinator

lilabet wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:09 am
blackdenim wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:40 am I haven't watched the video yet, but re: fridge-gate. Is my two-flats theory actually coming true!?!? I would die if in like a year they moved to a new place and revealed that they'd been living semi-seperately hahaha.
It's seems to be a yes and no. :shrug: They have an extra fridge but nothing in it. Then again it could have just been cleaned out (going on holiday, haven't been shopping, saw the analysis of the fridge in the tinder video).

I have lived in houses with extra kitchens/lounges downstairs and upstairs or one end of the house to the other. I have a large family that needs extra rooms. Once you have a certain amount of space they start adding extra shared spaces not just bathroom's. Like someone suggested it's usually done when you've added something like a granny flat in.

Didn't Dan say it had like 9 floors?
I thought 9 floors was a bit of an exaggeration on his part! It seems to be across 3 from what I can tell (downstairs: slounge/gaming room/phils room? middle floor: moon room/main living room/kitchen? top floor: Dan's live show area/???/portal to another dimension where the second kitchen is) although I haven't done as much analysis as others... a 3/4 bed house/apartment in London (I'm assuming the slounge and/or gaming room are sold as bedrooms) doesn't seem like it should be big enough to have two kitchens but obviously, that doesn't mean there isn't an extra fridge in e.g. a storage room. I just think it would be amazing if my joke theory turned out to be true is all!
smol beans
squish

hi everyone, this is my first time posting!
i love reading here and looking forward to contribute my comments/thoughts more.

i just wanted to comment about their apartment layout.
please correct me if i am wrong but their apartment is theorized to be 2 stories or more?
because i noticed that the little snippets of the apartment in dan's video, there wasn't consistency in any of them; all rooms were different looking, whether that may be the wall color or the material of the door.

some scenes have doors that are wooden and others are just white. i think there was also a glass/matte transparent door too for a second. which is odd because usually the interior of the house is the same, like the door type and windows. so i am going to assume that the white doors are wherever the tile flooring is, which is 1st level. then the doors with the wooden material is where the wooden flooring is as well (2nd floor). did anyone else notice the windows too? where their upstairs lounge is, where dan and phil have both done their LS, they have nude colored shaded blinds that move up and down.... and in the scene where dan is rowing, we see a window but with those white plastic-y fan-out blinds which are used mostly in "office" type settings (sorry i suck at describing blinds lol).

i'm glad someone else noticed the fridge too and the kitchen; i also think they have a mini kitchen/bar area in the 1st level.
what does anyone else think? i also got vibes that they definitely could have just filmed each scene in different hotels/places to throw off what their actual apartment looks like.

also since i am new and have not read any older posts, does their apartment theory have anything to do from the scenes in dan's bahama disaster video? because that shows the kitchen and the same blinds i am talking about that are "office" type window blinds. and that kitchen counter (where dan pretends to be the TSA) doesn't match from the kitchen snips i have scene from dan's recent LS which makes me think that they do have a mini bar/counter downstairs.
eXcUsE mE?
whut is the opposite of s m o l , halppy, yellow sun?
malday
emo goose

blackdenim wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:33 am I thought 9 floors was a bit of an exaggeration on his part! It seems to be across 3 from what I can tell (downstairs: slounge/gaming room/phils room? middle floor: moon room/main living room/kitchen? top floor: Dan's live show area/???/portal to another dimension where the second kitchen is) although I haven't done as much analysis as others... a 3/4 bed house/apartment in London (I'm assuming the slounge and/or gaming room are sold as bedrooms) doesn't seem like it should be big enough to have two kitchens but obviously, that doesn't mean there isn't an extra fridge in e.g. a storage room. I just think it would be amazing if my joke theory turned out to be true is all!
Where does this idea that Dan's ls space is on a 3rd floor come from? Isn't it on the same level as the lounge:
Didn't he even say it was the upstairs lounge in his ls?

smol beans wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:34 am also since i am new and have not read any older posts, does their apartment theory have anything to do from the scenes in dan's bahama disaster video? because that shows the kitchen and the same blinds i am talking about that are "office" type window blinds. and that kitchen counter (where dan pretends to be the TSA) doesn't match from the kitchen snips i have scene from dan's recent LS which makes me think that they do have a mini bar/counter downstairs.
The Bahamas video was filmed in the vacation house they were staying in in Florida, not in London in their apartment.
smol beans
squish

blackdenim wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:33 am
smol beans wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:34 am also since i am new and have not read any older posts, does their apartment theory have anything to do from the scenes in dan's bahama disaster video? because that shows the kitchen and the same blinds i am talking about that are "office" type window blinds. and that kitchen counter (where dan pretends to be the TSA) doesn't match from the kitchen snips i have scene from dan's recent LS which makes me think that they do have a mini bar/counter downstairs.
The Bahamas video was filmed in the vacation house they were staying in in Florida, not in London in their apartment.

ah thank you! that really clears everything up for me. ok then i am now more confused
eXcUsE mE?
whut is the opposite of s m o l , halppy, yellow sun?
captainspacecoat
stress mushroom

I really liked the video, and thought it was potentially his best video this year so far! Having spent five hours today in my uni library I can confirm Dan is correct, uni libraries are strange places indeed :lol:
gohomohowell wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:37 am I can't wait for the official blue prints of Dan and Phil's house to be passed around, good work guys :lol:

No real comment on Dan's video. It was funny and genuine but I wasn't overly thrilled with it. Maybe because it felt like a low-effort video, maybe because I'm not part of the audience going to uni yet.
Totally fair enough if you didn't enjoy the video, everyone is entitled to their own opinion etc, but I'm curious as to what about the video seemed low-effort to you/what specifically would you have liked him to do that you would consider more effort? The number of sketches he included, as well as a witty script etc indicate relatively high-effort in comparison to many other youtubers, or even just in comparison to his most recent video which simply required him to sit down and react to the results of his DNA test. I just feel like it's not fair to accuse him of making a low-effort video when just objectively I think he probably did put a lot of effort into this.
blackdenim wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:33 am I thought 9 floors was a bit of an exaggeration on his part! It seems to be across 3 from what I can tell (downstairs: slounge/gaming room/phils room? middle floor: moon room/main living room/kitchen? top floor: Dan's live show area/???/portal to another dimension where the second kitchen is) although I haven't done as much analysis as others... a 3/4 bed house/apartment in London (I'm assuming the slounge and/or gaming room are sold as bedrooms) doesn't seem like it should be big enough to have two kitchens but obviously, that doesn't mean there isn't an extra fridge in e.g. a storage room. I just think it would be amazing if my joke theory turned out to be true is all!
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure the main living room/kitchen (where Dan did his most recent liveshow from) are on the same level as Dan's usual liveshow spot (beside the piano), and I'm fairly certain all those rooms are on the top floor (edit: malday got there first). Their apartment is so confusing, I honestly can not get my head around it. I definitely don't believe they're living separately just based on things they've said that would suggest they're living together (e.g. Phil's pigeon text asking Dan to come upstairs presumably because Dan was downstairs in his room at the time) as well as the co-owned possessions in the upstairs area, but smol beans you're so right when you say that their apartment doesn't appear to match at all.

Like, where is the room with the disco ball-esque mirror above the wooden ledge (where they film Phil stealing Dan's textbook)?

Also, in the scene on the balcony when Dan pulls apart the slat-like curtains we can see tiled floor, which would suggest the balcony is not off the upstairs lounge. Maybe it's off the kitchen? Does that have the same tiles as Phil's bedroom and the gaming room?

Regarding the kitchen, it seems unlikely to me that a flat would have two kitchens, but maybe that is common in England? Or maybe the kitchen just has two fridges on opposite ends? The fact that it was empty does suggest to me they don't use that particular fridge, so maybe there is a kitchenette in the slounge which is largely unused. Perplexing tbh..
whelpkeeper wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:57 pm Still a great video with lots of re-watch potential, just something I think about sometimes- is implying he has some sort of mental health struggle honestly enough anymore? I think he should set the record straight instead of hinting and alluding all the time, it'd make me fee; better at least :shrug:
Personally, I don't think Dan has any obligation whatsoever to 'set the record straight' about his potential struggle with mental health. That's his personal business, and he does not owe us an explanation. I totally understand the fear surrounding mentally healthy people taking symptoms of mental illness, removing them from context, and capitalising on them by making them a relatable part of their branding. However, I also think it's dangerous to think of mental illness in terms of identity politics. There's this idea I see a lot on tumblr (not accusing you of thinking this way, btw) where symptoms become directly linked with diagnosed mental illness, e.g. unless you have publicly stated that you have X mental illness you're not allowed to talk about Y symptom. Never mind that maybe you do have that illness just don't feel the need to share that with strangers, or perhaps you've simply never been officially diagnosed because you lack the means, or maybe you just experience that particular symptom but don't have the illness.

I said in a post a few days ago (hi Dan, btw, if you read that lmao) that Dan has talked about mental illness in a fairly upfront way this past year, stating "I have social anxiety" and mentioning "mild agoraphobia" multiple times now. It makes sense to me that his depressing, self-deprecating 'jokes' may very well stem from reality, and I think it's easy to forget that Dan is actually a real human being who experiences real human emotions, and is not immune from the same mental health struggles many of us are dealing with. This has turned into a messy rant, but I guess I'm trying to say that experience with mental illness is so incredibly varied and subjective, and I think it's time to take Dan at his word. Some of the discourse surrounding Dan's mentions of mental health remind me of the discourse surrounding his sexuality - until he explicitly comes out as not-straight, people will presume he is straight. Similarly, until he explicitly informs us that he has a mental illness, people will believe he is faking it/playing it up for views.

(Having said that though, it's another thing entirely to diagnose him with something he may not have - I don't condone that at all!)
blackdenim
procrastinator

captainspacecoat wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:03 am

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure the main living room/kitchen (where Dan did his most recent liveshow from) are on the same level as Dan's usual liveshow spot (beside the piano), and I'm fairly certain all those rooms are on the top floor (edit: malday got there first). Their apartment is so confusing, I honestly can not get my head around it. I definitely don't believe they're living separately just based on things they've said that would suggest they're living together (e.g. Phil's pigeon text asking Dan to come upstairs presumably because Dan was downstairs in his room at the time) as well as the co-owned possessions in the upstairs area, but smol beans you're so right when you say that their apartment doesn't appear to match at all.

Like, where is the room with the disco ball-esque mirror above the wooden ledge (where they film Phil stealing Dan's textbook)?

Also, in the scene on the balcony when Dan pulls apart the slat-like curtains we can see tiled floor, which would suggest the balcony is not off the upstairs lounge. Maybe it's off the kitchen? Does that have the same tiles as Phil's bedroom and the gaming room?

Regarding the kitchen, it seems unlikely to me that a flat would have two kitchens, but maybe that is common in England? Or maybe the kitchen just has two fridges on opposite ends? The fact that it was empty does suggest to me they don't use that particular fridge, so maybe there is a kitchenette in the slounge which is largely unused. Perplexing tbh..
Yes you and malday are right he did say the liveshow spot was on the top floor with the other rooms. I'm sure someone here said there was potentially a third floor the other day though! I think it's just going to remain a mystery, probably forever as I don't think they'd retroactively show us the layout after they move out!

I suppose when they do a baking vid we might find out about the fridges, it's possible there's 2 in the kitchen or there's a kitchenette in the slounge but someone above said it seems like both fridges are fridge-freezers which are usually quite big so not really kitchenette equipment! The only houses I've ever been in in the UK with two kitchens is a huge country house in Scotland (that one actually had four kitchens...) and the house of a friend of mine who was really strictly Jewish, so they specially installed a second kitchen so they could have one for preparing meat and one for preparing milk to keep everything kosher. I wouldn't say it's common to have a second kitchen 'as standard', especially not in a 3/4 bedroom house.
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

Adding to the apartment discussion, their washing machine with the hinged door on the front is what we usually have in the UK and it's common for it to be in the kitchen if there isn't a separate utility room for it (also, on fridges, we have a bigger freezer in there too cos the one in our fridge is tiny, and we also have a second small fridge cos my mum had one for work and then they didn't need it anymore). Top-loading washing machines would be in some launderettes (the U.K. word for laundromat), though some have the other type. Otherwise I've seen top-loading ones on American TV shows so assume they're the norm there.
bookfiend
spork
Pronouns: She/her

Not sure if anyone has suggested this previously. There's a lot of discussion going on which I'm loving. But is it possible that the 2 separate flats is true, perhaps with a connecting door.

However, instead of them living separately (which between their co-dependence and the moon room reveal I will never believe unless they directly say it) the 2nd flat is just for filming. It's why Phil's set room, D&P games and other parts of the house feel so impersonal whereas the main lounge and moon room don't. It would explain why they have the two fridges but one is clearly not used often if the second flat is technically empty unless they're filming in it.

They already stated when they moved in how they were planning to separate more where they film and where they live. They just might have gone further to separate it all then we realised :shrug:
alch
ar·tic·u·late

annabanana wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:10 am I know Dan has said that he scripts out his videos, but I do wonder how much he actually writes out beforehand. Is it a word-by-word script or just a general outline? I'm always just surprised how much information/story he can succinctly fit in a video like this when we also know how waffly he can be. :breakfast: Maybe it's just the luxury of being able to do multiple takes.
I think Dan and Phil have said they put down an outline for everything they want to say, but not an exact script.
Loafer
sofa crease

I enjoyed Dans video! Some parts of it made me uncomfortable (the down it part in particular - dunno if it was the erm, position he was in, or I feel uneasy with the thought of him being pressured into drinking to fit in, even though I know he does drink and seems to enjoy it, but Phil in that part made it better) but for the most part my main takeaway was that...mm it must've been easy to do laundry at Phils, since that's where most of his clothes were anyways. ;)

Is there any sort of compilation of Dans comments about uni? I'm curious about his relationships with his housemates. I want to say that he practically lived with Phil during that year, but I don't just fandom speculation/conjecture or something they actually said or implied. Has he ever said if his flat mates knew about his YouTube hobby? Or if he's still friendly with one or more of them? I can't imagine 2010 Dan coming out to a house full of boys, but surely he and Phil were spending a lot of time together, I wonder how he explained that to them, if at all.