Dan & Phil Part 54: Born in the fires of the internet

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
alch
ar·tic·u·late
Pronouns: she/her

^^ Oh god sorry for posting that so many times! I must have clicked something too many times.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

alch wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:51 am ^^ Oh god sorry for posting that so many times! I must have clicked something too many times.
No worries, took care of the extra ones. :)
jaej
moon room
Pronouns: he/they/idm

definitely agree with aleanna, goldenmermaid and captainspacecoat on this tweet stuff. a lot of the time mental illness does make things seem worse than they are, that's kind of the point.
i also use a lot of not so great coping mechanisms, so a part of me likes seeing his tweets and videos because i can relate (bleugh) to it. i have insomnia and during particularly bad times with anxiety (like now) i get by on very, very little sleep and feel like a wreck most of the time on a really horrible combination of being way too alert but also way too drained. i've been making jokes about it for years, and it helps me see it as less of a life ruining thing. but i also, you know, dont have millions of people reading what i say about it
my name is jaejmine masters and i have something to say. dan and phil have fucked up japan :japhan:
phil lester threw the first brick at stonewall, we love a queer icon :biflag:
karma_yeah
philussy

Just dropping by to say :thankyou: for all the wonderful :deppy: :corn: :phangoggles: :sparkle: :festive: :babuse: :elephant: :tabinof: :dapgo: .

It was like taking a stroll down memory lane remembering when some of them were created. :-D :bigthumbsup: :respekt2: :clapping: :newyear:

What more could we ask for except maybe a wedding video :garbage: <3
What goes around, comes around Image
pastelspectre
stress mushroom
Pronouns: he/him

:undertaledog: :ravetree: hell yea man new emojis im so hype

also id like to add i honestly lowkey..love?? the "depressing" and "persona heavy" tweets dan makes because i have that same sort of coping mechanism for sure. mostly irl, not online, but i do tend to make jokes about my mental health issues because i find it comforting and it helps to make it better, even if its just only by a little bit. thats why i get sad whenever people say they hate those tweets, because i feel bad bc i have the same sort of coping mechanism as dan.

also i'd like to add i went to the mall today and along with two shirts from hot topic, i also got tabinof after a year of wanting it<3 it was on sale 20% off. now i have both dapgo and tabinof :love2:
:transheart:
fondsmiles
phabergé

In the closing credits of Anthony's new video, he's put a lot of weird credits, and two of them feature Dan. I love romance

[x]
[x]
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

The following post is rambling thoughts about the mental health video thing and why I'm nervous about it so don't take it too seriously.

Dan has been repeatedly called out over making existentialism part of his branding while seemingly only having a shallow understanding of it by people who actually suffer from it and has never acknowledged it. This was a few years ago and he has kinda burried the existential crisis stuff with the rebrand so I hope he has educated himself since then, but it's things like that that make me nervous about Dan's potential video on mental health. And I just have bad experiences with most YouTubers and mental health in general; using trauma to excuse constant shitty behavior, romanticizing it, being anti-therapy or anti-medication, calling everything that could make one feel better out for being neurotypical. Not saying Dan would do any of that because I obviously wouldn't know before he actually makes the video, but like I said it just makes me nervous.

I go back and forth on my opinion on Dan's coping mechanism jokes. I strongly relate to using humor as a coping mechanism and I don't think it's all fake (but I do think they can sometimes be his go to on brand tweets, just like Phil and his emojitastic animal and food stuff which does make me roll my eyes) but it's a little like jaej said.. when I make a joke like that I don't broadcast it to millions of followers. When he keeps making jokes like that over and over again, I'm afraid the younger impressionable part of his audience will normalize or romanticize those kind of thoughts. On top of that, it makes me wonder whether he has any healthier outlets than social media. I hope he does. What could make or break a video on mental health from him for me, is acknowledging things like that.. giving context to the self depreciating humor.

This post has no real point or conclusion like I said just thoughts.. I'm not against Dan making a mental health video if that's something he wants to tackle.

(YAY ALL THE EMOJI :hearts: )
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
SquishPhan
capita£ester

Guess they are on their vacation. :lol:
fondsmiles
phabergé

SquishPhan wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:01 pm
no, that seems to be a restaurant in central london. but maybe it means they are on their way to their vacation and are tweeting this for distraction, that would seem like them ;)

(good post, @Catallena, I would dislike if he did those things too, I guess I just feel a little bit more optimistic that he wouldn't)
[x]
[x]
snokoplasmic
procrastinator

SquishPhan wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:01 pm Guess they are on their vacation. :lol:
i think this is the first time i've ever laughed out loud at a dan tweet :lol: but jesus christ, doesn't his grandma follow him on twitter??
onceinaugust
rainbow nerd

SquishPhan wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:01 pm Guess they are on their vacation. :lol:
They might be and are just posting an old pic, but I'm pretty sure that's still in London. I went to an Italian place with the same name when I was there last year- it's right by the National Gallery.
"You loved it, you want to do it more."
"Alright"
relatablemood
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

[Offtopic]the real deal is... i have no problem laughing at myself bang in the middle of a panic attack and telling my friends no i defo can breathe, i'm just exercising very hard in my chair. that's all good. but only ever joking about the most relatable, stereotypical "symptoms" that barely even apply to you? and i know some people said you can have anxiety about not actually having friends, being financially secure and so on, so why not make it more clear? so that young people don't pity the fact that you're oh so broke and friendless, but rather sympathise about how you're actually feeling anxiety about these things which is another ballpark entirely. i mean, always talking in hyperbole about having no friends, never leaving the house etc. does not open up conversation about mental health, it just normalises isolating yourself and takes the piss out of people who literally haven't left the house in months. it's something people attribute to being on the internet 24/7 and not suffering from mental illness. laughing about them "coping mechanisms amiright" making it sound like something everyone has, even neurotypical teens looking up to you. there are people who will reblog dan's every tweet, who will see it and think nothing of it, not realise it's related to actual mental health issues but instead think it's part of the tumblr existential crisis, relatable death wishing etc. bandgwagon. gROSS.[/Offtopic]

ahhh, they're on vacation now! so nice. and loving the classy rimjob jokes dan :bigthumbsup:
i want dan's hair and phil's hips
moaninglisa
drama llama

alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Can you believe I added an appropriate emoticon for that just last night? :asskiss:

Love the pic of them, too. Phil looks so good with the messier hair and glasses. (Even if they don't look thrilled to be having their photos taken.)
alch
ar·tic·u·late

Guessing by the pictures people have gotten of them in airports, they've probably only just started off. Looks like he probably got that photo on the way to the airport or just had it saved in his drafts, since that place is in London (or at least the only place with that name on Google Maps is in London)

Also nice photos even though they look like they haven't slept in years
SquishPhan
capita£ester

snokoplasmic wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:07 pm
SquishPhan wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:01 pm
i think this is the first time i've ever laughed out loud at a dan tweet :lol: but jesus christ, doesn't his grandma follow him on twitter??
I do wonder what his grandma thinks when she sees stuff like this.
alittledizzy wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:14 pm
Can you believe I added an appropriate emoticon for that just last night? :asskiss:

Love the pic of them, too. Phil looks so good with the messier hair and glasses. (Even if they don't look thrilled to be having their photos taken.)
I can't believe I didn't see that emoticon, definitely made for this tweet. ;)

And yeah they do look good.
I don't blame them for not being super thrilled about having their pics taken. I guess the sneaking around thing is getting harder, since I feel like they get spotted quite often at airports these days.
kenzieisnotonfire
phillion/danosaur <//3

malday
emo goose

moaninglisa wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:11 pm
Phil's hair looks good and not made of plastic :thanks: i don't know why he hates fringe gaps, it make his hair look so much better!
LtrllySusan
lava lamp

malday wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:26 pm
moaninglisa wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:11 pm
Phil's hair looks good and not made of plastic :thanks: i don't know why he hates fringe gaps, it make his hair look so much better!
Looks greasy to me :lol: (Not shaming, I look the same when I travel)
alch
ar·tic·u·late

kenzieisnotonfire wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:24 pm
A role reversal from the last eye-related airport crisis.
Ablissa
pastel persona

[mod note: image removed at poster's request]

They look even less thrilled on this one, definitely at an airport. They're not even trying. Can't blame them, they can't do anything without someone stalking them running into them.
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

Simply Nailogical roasted Dan's nails at 2:49
i feel like updatedphan
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
autumnhearth
senpai

Elemancy your waffling made perfect sense to me and I appreciate all the interpretations and defense of Dan's humor and coping. I didn't actually take issue with yesterday's tweet, I just agreed that that particular humor does annoy me, but that's just the feeling *I* get from it, and I didn't expand upon it, because I know it's a lot deeper and more complicated than just a persona. I remember in and early ls Dan explained his humor is hyperbolic and that helped a bit. I definitely didnt intend to judge him. I'm going through some serious depression and anxiety and lately only leave the house about twice a week. This last week was particularly hard as I had family obligations three days in a row. So I get it.

Anywhooo, that assaggetti tweet was funny (wow an analingus emoji, never thought I'd see the day) and the boys look like handsome albeit tired rats. Eh I guess anything is preferable to Lego hair, but I just want to push it all back, especially with those glasses. I hope they have a safe flight and relaxing vacay wherever they are headed.

What do you guys think, will there be a Dan video this weekend like he said, and he was just musing about what a university video could be like to get us thinking about it, when he actually already had it finished? Or was he really only just starting to think about it and we'll see it sometime after they get back? And what would you like see from Phil's video on Thursday (with or without Dan)?

Aww :bear: is this one new?
I really like these guys, :undertaledog: very annoying, much Undertale :sleepypuppy:
thephandommenace
procrastinator
Pronouns: they/them

Yay new smilies (and the return of my favourites)!!
:2022: :biflag: :biheart: :prideflag: :prideheart: :asskiss: :undertaledog: :sleepypuppy: :alcohol: :happytears: :tumbleweed: :newyear: :sparkle: :sherlock:
I've especially missed this one:
:tinfoil:
I'm lurking every day but haven't had the time to comment on D&P's activities as of late. Phil looks super hot in that first M&G pic :fan:
susan2
rainbow nerd

alittledizzy wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:14 pm

I can't believe I didn't see that emoticon, definitely made for this tweet. ;)

And yeah they do look good.
I don't blame them for not being super thrilled about having their pics taken. I guess the sneaking around thing is getting harder, since I feel like they get spotted quite often at airports these days.
Ablissa wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:17 pm [mod note: image removed at poster's request]

They look even less thrilled on this one, definitely at an airport. They're not even trying. Can't blame them, they can't do anything without someone running into them.
Yeah, it's gotta be one of the big downsides of what they do. Here's hoping they can manage to disappear for a week (/everyone leaves them alone) and they have a great holiday with their friends. Everybody needs and deserves downtime.

Those airport pictures reminded me of something - when I first started watching them (before I knew anything about them) I assumed they had "Dan and Phil" wardrobes, and then their own mostly seperate clothing for when they weren't online. So a part of me still gets surprised when I see them wearing what I think of as "AP" and "DINOF" clothes in their normal lives. They're so iconic/instantly recognisable. I guess a part of me still wonders if they maybe have a few items of clothing that are just theirs for when they want to truly escape. (or I'm totally projecting cos I feel like I would need that if I were them!). :shrug: Though I guess that kinda leads back to Dan's chats about authenticity - if that gap between your real-life-self and online-self gets too large it must really mess with you (if you're not playing a totally distinct character other than yourself).