Dan & Phil Part 56: Phanthony! at the Disco

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
freesocks
spork
Pronouns: she/her

Hi! I'm a professional lurker who has decided to become a first-time poster because I think the business side of YouTube is so interesting and have some thoughts on some of the points in the last few posts (too many good ones to pull out quotes).

On the subject of ship-baiting: This is such a complicated issue when it comes to D&P and I honestly feel bad for them because they are in so deep that no matter what the truth turns out to be, they really can't win (if they are straight they will be crucified, if they are in a relationship with each other they will never be allowed privacy etc etc). My analysis would be different for some of their other interactions, but in my opinion, because of the way the nipple poke was really focused in on and emphasized, it was definitely fan service. I think the difference between J&J's interactions and some of D&P's other interactions was that they are just something that occurs naturally just in passing, not something that is purposely played up because they know it will get the audience's attention. Personally, I would rather see less frequent non-manufactured moments than a ton of fan service, but I know a lot of people feel otherwise.

On the subject of the future of YouTube: I agree that Jake Paul is just a trend, but I don't think that D&P have a better business strategy than PewDiePie. Since he is the most subscribed to YouTuber I don't think it is possible to talk about strategy without mentioning him, despite issues with him. He has said in the past that he has always treated his channel like a start-up and you can tell. He puts out content frequently and consistently, something which D&P don't do and probably why they don't have as many subscribers as they could. I personally think that if D&P don't try to age up their channel's a bit, they are going to run into a problem as they are actually both adults now and at a certain point, some of their more childish content will get really weird.

I love reading everyone's thoughts! Cheers! :ribena:
malday
emo goose

I just want to say, straight couples play it up for the camera all the time. Even J&J have their sort of on-camera personas and try to lay on more affection and appear happier and funnier, which isn't a bad thing, because you need to make the video entertaining. But no one calls it fanservice.

For D&P it doesn't help that Dan called it fanservice and "give the people what they want", and automatically categorized such interactions between the two of them as fake and acted out.
To people who follow them closely this may come across as a natural interaction(or at least something coming from a natural interaction) but i don't think it's the same for casual fans.
The Try Guys skit really illustrated how outsiders perceive them and what they do.
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

Yay, predictions of clothes video today were correct :D
Ablissa
pastel persona

So flipping hyped for this video. I hope it's good and we're not all left slightly disappointed :(

Also, I'd just like to add - fantastic post, fancybum. I agree with it wholeheartedly.
Last edited by Ablissa on Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
snokoplasmic
procrastinator

i am desperately trying to lower my expectations a little bit and tell myself that it's probably gonna be mostly cool t shirts and button ups, but god damn i am so excited
freesocks
spork

malday wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:31 pm I just want to say, straight couples play it up for the camera all the time. Even J&J have their sort of on camera personas and try to lay on more affection and appear happier and funnier, which isn't a bad thing, because you need to make the video entertaining. But no one calls it fanservice.

For D&P it doesn't help that Dan called it fanservice and "give the people what they want", and automatically categorized such interactions between the two of them as fake and acted out.
To people who follow them closely this may come across as a natural interaction(or at least something coming from a natural interaction) but i don't think it's the same for casual fans.
The Try Guys skit really illustrated how outsiders perceive them and what they do.
I am not sure if anyone is familiar with the TV series Outlander, but those actors (both straight) get accused of shipbaiting every time they give fanservice. I kid you not, William Shatner is involved in the whole shipping drama in that fandom. One of my cousins is very into it all haha and from what she has showed me, its pretty intense.

I think it would be a good idea to clarify fanservice vs shipbaiting. Fanservice doesn't necessarily have to have anything to do with shipping. Dan showing his chins every liveshow because people always ask in the chat is fanservice that has nothing to do with Phil or Phan.

I would categorize myself as a casual fan (for the time being, although it is becoming less and less true by the day), so I never really looked at anything with Phan in mind (I didn't even know it was a thing when I started watching Dan) and to me that seemed like fanservice, so I think I am definitely looking at it from a different perspective. I genuinely don't understand how something like that seems natural. To me it really seemed like they were trying to play up their interactions to draw attention to the shirts. Its definitely interesting to see how things can be interpreted so differently - I am definitely going to look up The Try Guys skit!
bjjqueen
phillion/danosaur <//3

Okay two things:

On the topic of fanservice, do I think that Dan and Phil sometimes play up moments like this? yes. Did it feel 100% natural to me? no. But, for me, it's the fact that they are comfortable doing it at all that stands out. Look back at the first couple sims games. They didn't touch at all and when they accidentally did they drew attention to it by making it seem uncomfortable for them. Now they are doing the opposite. Fanservice would have served them a lot better then when they were building their joint brand than it does now. Idk, I just feel like the moment goes to show how much more at ease they are with casual touching and putting themselves in situations that they wouldn't years ago.

And about Phils video: I don't usually sit around anticipating new Phil videos (I'll be honest, his main channel content isn't my favorite), but I am really looking forward to this video! I need to lower my expectations so I'm not crushed when it's just silly shirts and maybe weird pants.
daichii
rainbow nerd
Pronouns: she | her

the hype is real omg
alch
ar·tic·u·late

Probably too hyped about Phil's new video, I doubt he's going to choose anything too out of his comfort zone but let me dream

I wish I could articulate my thoughts well enough to say something on fanservice, but I basically agree with what fancybum said
liola
rankussy

I'm so fucking hyped for Phil's video, I know I need to keep it in but I can't
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
onetruetrash
blobfish

I haven't been hyped at all for their videos lately, but I'm actually kinda excited for this one. Dan better not disappoint us!
malday
emo goose

freesocks wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:00 pm
malday wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:31 pm I just want to say, straight couples play it up for the camera all the time. Even J&J have their sort of on camera personas and try to lay on more affection and appear happier and funnier, which isn't a bad thing, because you need to make the video entertaining. But no one calls it fanservice.

I am not sure if anyone is familiar with the TV series Outlander, but those actors (both straight) get accused of shipbaiting every time they give fanservice. I kid you not, William Shatner is involved in the whole shipping drama in that fandom. One of my cousins is very into it all haha and from what she has showed me, its pretty intense.

I think it would be a good idea to clarify fanservice vs shipbaiting. Fanservice doesn't necessarily have to have anything to do with shipping. Dan showing his chins every liveshow because people always ask in the chat is fanservice that has nothing to do with Phil or Phan.

I would categorize myself as a casual fan (for the time being, although it is becoming less and less true by the day), so I never really looked at anything with Phan in mind (I didn't even know it was a thing when I started watching Dan) and to me that seemed like fanservice, so I think I am definitely looking at it from a different perspective. I genuinely don't understand how something like that seems natural. To me it really seemed like they were trying to play up their interactions to draw attention to the shirts. Its definitely interesting to see how things can be interpreted so differently - I am definitely going to look up The Try Guys skit!
It was played up, sure, because it was a prompted moment, but if you consider Julien touching Jenna's chest on camera as something that occurs naturally just because they are a couple, why wouldn't you consider the same for Dan and Phil?

I'm not sure my sentence makes sense but i'm waiting for the new video so who cares!
Last edited by malday on Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
obscureDnPreference
procrastinator
Pronouns: she/her/hers

I'm waiting for this to be posted any minute now. I am shivering with antici.......pation.

Sorry for the Rocky Horror reference. Couldn't resist.
"This is not children's television. I'm 26, I'm depressed, and I need edgy jokes to cope with my anxiety."
Daniel Howell, 10/30/17
obscureDnPreference
procrastinator

IT'S HERE
"This is not children's television. I'm 26, I'm depressed, and I need edgy jokes to cope with my anxiety."
Daniel Howell, 10/30/17
freesocks
spork

malday wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:53 pm
freesocks wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:00 pm

Don’t worry, your sentence makes sense (I’m also pretty hyped for the video). I definitely do think whether you believe they are a couple or not makes a difference. I am pretty phan-agnostic (not sure that is the right word), but I also think personas and fanservice are still different things, so to me, whether or not J&J are that hyper in real life or not, those are their YouTube personas. D&P have them too and some things are part of their personas, but then fanservice is specific things they do just to give the fans what they want and that’s how I see the nipple thing. They knew it would get their fans attention and get them to focus on the merch. If J&J were selling shirts and he started grabbing her chest, I would say the same thing.

(Hope this makes sense - trying to write it quickly on my phone so I could respond before the new video comes out.)

It was played up, sure, because it was a prompted moment, but if you consider Julien touching Jenna's chest on camera as something that occurs naturally just because they are a couple, why wouldn't you consider the same for Dan and Phil?

I'm not sure my sentence makes sense but i'm waiting for the new video so who cares!
SquishPhan
capita£ester

That video was hilarious. Some of those outfits plus their reactions just had me :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: .
Also you could totally see Dan in the reflection at times.
LtrllySusan
lava lamp

LtrllySusan wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:19 pm T -4h till clothes video? I expect sassy catwalks and fond Dan compliments <3
This was everything I wanted and so much more. I won't be able to write in the next week because I will rewatching this video full-time. <3 <3 <3
obscureDnPreference
procrastinator

Few words. Just :garbage: :garbage: :garbage:
Daniel Howell, 10/30/17
mm_sunny1993
spork

Oh god, this video stressed me out like hell but at the same time I really loved it :ribena:
iero
phabergé

this is it. my favourite video phil has ever uploaded.
hilarious and i loved the range of outfits chosen (especially the pink suit lmao)and dan being involved throughout the video made up for the fact he didn't appear on camera. also phil needs to keep the black ripped jeans
Last edited by iero on Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sarmstr2
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

I had to pause during the pink suit as I was laughing too hard. My daughter had to come in to see what my problem was. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Nicely done, Phil.
daichii
rainbow nerd
Pronouns: she | her

I need to rewatch it 1000 times 12/10 perfect vid
DatCog
blobfish

Loved that video - great mix of outfits and so funny! Phil needs to wear more ripped skinny jeans for sure. Loved seeing the slounge in all its glory too. Definitely be re-watching very shortly :tu:
bee
phabergé

This mayhaps sounds creepy and I swear I don't mean it like that, but Phil's definitely been sticking to the gym.

This was cool. Try new things and all. I kind of want to do the same now. Only.. just by myself I guess :roll:

Oh and the tassly one (or whatever that's called, the bird outfit) had me cackling Very Loud, sorry neighbours
asnazzyphil
tol bean

This was amazing :rofl: brb while I go rewatch this 1000 times