Dan & Phil Part 56: Phanthony! at the Disco

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
freesocks
spork
Pronouns: she/her

eel wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:57 pm Did Phil just sing to the tune of my neck my back?
Ahaha, I knew it was funny because it was Phil singing a nsfw song rap, but couldn’t place it!
Internet Homo
smol bean

I don't know how to put this, but the video was a lot more honest than I thought it would be. Like, more genuine insight and less Dan screaming (although that's also quality content tbh)
quercussp
living flop

Internet Homo wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:17 pm I don't know how to put this, but the video was a lot more honest than I thought it would be. Like, more genuine insight and less Dan screaming (although that's also quality content tbh)
I agree. I understand why some people were disappointed, but personally I was just melting the whole 7 minutes and have rewatched it 4 times. The voices and interactions were so unusual! We get to see their off camera personas so rarely, I cherish every second. :love1:
freesocks
spork

998274 wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:27 pm
Internet Homo wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:17 pm I don't know how to put this, but the video was a lot more honest than I thought it would be. Like, more genuine insight and less Dan screaming (although that's also quality content tbh)
I agree. I understand why some people were disappointed, but personally I was just melting the whole 7 minutes and have rewatched it 4 times. The voices and interactions were so unusual! We get to see their off camera personas so rarely, I cherish every second. :love1:
Yes to all of this.
captainspacecoat
stress mushroom

Ohhhhh, that was so lovely :love1: Literally just echoing what everyone else has said at this point, but it was so nice to see their more candid, "off-screen" dynamic, and to know that while their comfort with each other after all these years allows them to tease each other etc, at the end of the day they are quite gentle and soft with each other :')

The eyelash/eye gunk (grossest word ever lmao) removal bit stood out to me as well. It seemed like a very natural and intimate interaction, and the way they leaned into each other and barely even flinched says a lot to me. Also the bit with the spilled coke, and Phil being the one to instinctively get up and find a towel even though Dan was the one to have spilled it, and also the way that they were never harsh with each other when one of them messed up (not that they'd leave that in if they were, I guess). And also Dan's soft, low voice in the Pinky and the Brain bit.... so nice. I wonder if they just genuinely forgot that they actually did leave in a few of the moments, or if they just felt they were funny enough to leave in. Oh well, they didn't detract from the majority of clips which we hadn't already seen, and all up I thought it was a really interesting insight into their natural dynamic :love2:
goldenmermaid
drama llama

Ah that was so cute :love2: dont mind me, just rewatching for the 3rd time - their natural voices were just <3 and I loved their laughs at 2.27, also dan at 2.32 :love2:
autumnhearth
senpai

I'd just like to share that my husband is still shooketh from the eyelash grooming, three hours after having seen it. He's amazed that they included it (while recognizing that it wasn't the first time) and thinks they may be "testing the waters" or at least redefining some boundaries. I mean, I'm still a pile of goo nearly five hours later, but the fact that that was the moment that stood out to him most makes me feel a bit less trashy.
Phantasy
woodland creature

My favorite head canon of how they come out as a couple is dropping a similar montage with all their revealing domestic moments.
alch
ar·tic·u·late

I couldn't watch until now, but my thoughts are basically what everyone else has said already.
Adorable, loved hearing their natural voices, eyelash bit was great, etc.
Surprised they included some things that were already in videos.

I was surprised by how short it was, I was expecting it to be a bit longer, but I guess it makes sense since they weren't really using footage from pre-2017.
Ewok
rainbow nerd

alch wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:44 am I couldn't watch until now, but my thoughts are basically what everyone else has said already.
Adorable, loved hearing their natural voices, eyelash bit was great, etc.
Surprised they included some things that were already in videos.

I was surprised by how short it was, I was expecting it to be a bit longer, but I guess it makes sense since they weren't really using footage from pre-2017.
I wonder why they only chose to use bloopers from more recent vids?
Is it because they started to anticipate the milestone this year? Or did Dan only want post-rebrand DAPG bloopers for some reason?

I'd like to imagine they keep their old videos saved on a hard drive at the very least.

Slightly unrelated, but I rewatched Phil's video about files from his old laptop and saw that "chat logs" folder and had a dreamy thought about how much I'd love for them to go over some of their old skype conversations. I would die happy.
autumnhearth wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:58 am I'd just like to share that my husband is still shooketh from the eyelash grooming, three hours after having seen it. He's amazed that they included it (while recognizing that it wasn't the first time) and thinks they may be "testing the waters" or at least redefining some boundaries. I mean, I'm still a pile of goo nearly five hours later, but the fact that that was the moment that stood out to him most makes me feel a bit less trashy.
That's such an interesting thought. I agree that they've been pushing a lot of boundaries, this past year especially. Not sure if that's just me having my demon phan goggles on too tight or what... but i feel like an outsider/casual viewers perspective helps. I feel less crazy so :tu:
»»-————𝓯𝓵𝓸𝓹𝓹𝔂 𝓭𝓲𝓷𝓰 𝓭𝓸𝓷𝓰————-««
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Ewok wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:43 amSlightly unrelated, but I rewatched Phil's video about files from his old laptop and saw that "chat logs" folder and had a dreamy thought about how much I'd love for them to go over some of their old skype conversations. I would die happy.
Holy shit, that is the stuff dreams are made of.

(Though tbh if we're never gonna get that, I'm perfectly willing to accept @ablissa's fic as canon.)
coffeepenguin
rainbow nerd

Honestly, this week was so good? We didn't really get much in terms of "serious content", but both of their livestreams were SO. GOOD. (Dan talking about his mental health had me shooketh) and now the bloopers have changed my life, seriously, I watched it four times in a row last night before going to sleep and now I'm gonna watch it at least another ten times, because after the week from hell that I just had at work, Deppy are the only thing that allows me to escape and keep my sanity.
And I probably need to apologize for my nipple-poke comments previously, because I don't know if they're buying that house now or what, but this is one seriously committed relationship and whatever you want to do boys to keep the level of privacy you're comfortable with, you do you :thumb: <3
Dan wants to be understood. Phil just wants to make the viewer smile and sell some backpacks (c) fancybum
lurker
janice from the shop
Pronouns: they/them

Ewok wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:43 am I wonder why they only chose to use bloopers from more recent vids?
Is it because they started to anticipate the milestone this year? Or did Dan only want post-rebrand DAPG bloopers for some reason?

I'd like to imagine they keep their old videos saved on a hard drive at the very least.
i've wondered about that too, but i do think it sounds reasonable that they wouldn't go through tons of unedited footage for this video if there's enough to choose from from this year alone. when they anticipated the milestone they might very well have started putting bloopers aside while editing -- at least, that'd be the efficient way to do it i suppose.
thank's you were great
lurker
janice from the shop

sorry to double post, i missed the edit window by a few seconds or so apparently. but...what is happening at 3:10? i thought dan was moving his mouth before forming the words but upon rewatching it kind of looks like he actually says something but there's no sound? or is that just me/my speaker?
thank's you were great
LtrllySusan
lava lamp

lurker wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:59 am sorry to double post, i missed the edit window by a few seconds or so apparently. but...what is happening at 3:10? i thought dan was moving his mouth before forming the words but upon rewatching it kind of looks like he actually says something but there's no sound? or is that just me/my speaker?
Phandom Lip Readers! Get on this :sherlock: :illuminati:

loonyradish wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:12 pm About the internet thing, I don't think theirs is that bad?
I think you could actually see their download speed in the last "Sleepless night with Phil", and it was about 32mb/s, which is a lot. I'd be surprised if their upload speed is bad.

(I hope this is correct, I'll go check on it now).

Actually, forget about that, I just looked it up and you couldn't even see the download speed, I guess my brain made that up :sideeye:

Second Edit: Okay, but you COULD see the remaining steam download time and file size to download, and if my math is correct, their internet speed is around 500 to 600 kb/s. So yeah, it sucks.
Source is this (can't post a picture rn): https://youtu.be/pSHJBHbvJ0I at around 3:13

(I have nothing else to do with my time right now :lol: )
Upload speed doesn't necessarily correlate with download speed. If you watch the aforementioned PDP video, you can see that his DL is ok but the UL barely moves over the 0.02 mark. Based on this info on 4G, I'd say the tether their phone to upload. And I hope that their forever home is somewhere with better internet :foreverhome:

Offtopic: Is anyone also really bad at the smiley selection? I know they are kinda sorted but it always takes me forever to find the one I am looking for...
Truth_or_cliche
delia smith

Been out of the D&P loop for quite some time now due to life thoroughly kicking my ass, but I’m finally caught up on all things Dan and Phil. I really enjoyed binging their content, reminds me of when I first discovered them. Though I’ve completely given up on catching up with this forum (its impossible, y’all can talk!), so I'mma just hop in at the bloopers video...

It wasn’t as funny as I expected, and yet I was completely intrigued by it. Just the way their voices sounded and them just being them unfiltered was so immensely entertaining to watch.

Even though nothing earth shattering happened in the vid I was still surprised at what was included. Lots of quote unquote love eyes lester moments and dan literally picks eye boogers out of Phil’s eye...like wth. I’ve definitely been gone too long lol.

Idk why but i found the unsynchronized sound to be particularly funny. I wonder if that’s why some of the footage was scraped in the first place. As someone who spends all her time on the internet, but isn’t the least bit computer savvy, it must be freaking hard to edit your own videos. I can’t even imagine. But I’m sure I’ll watch this video a ton of more times so I’ll count it as a success.

Anyways, glad to be back. It was so easy to fall back into the black hole that is the phandom. Good to know I’ll probably always be trash lol.
malday
emo goose

lurker wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:59 am sorry to double post, i missed the edit window by a few seconds or so apparently. but...what is happening at 3:10? i thought dan was moving his mouth before forming the words but upon rewatching it kind of looks like he actually says something but there's no sound? or is that just me/my speaker?
He doesn't say anything , he's just silently mouthing the "w-w-why", like doing a dramatic double take.
Grey
lady door

Am I mistaken or are they making a bigger deal out of danandphilgames hitting 3M than they made when their own channels hit 4M and 6M within the past year or so? I feel like they both just tweeted about those but I could be wrong. Is 3M a more meaningful milestone or do they care more about DAPG? (Or am I just not remembering this right?)

Anywho, I loved the video of course. Everything I thought has already been said though.
I'm having a stress.
freesocks
spork

Ewok wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:43 am That's such an interesting thought. I agree that they've been pushing a lot of boundaries, this past year especially. Not sure if that's just me having my demon phan goggles on too tight or what... but i feel like an outsider/casual viewers perspective helps. I feel less crazy so :tu:
This is how I came to be more than a casual fan. I'm putting it under a spoiler so this post isn't incredibly long. Some of my ideas/perceptions from my time as a casual fan are listed below:
I am pretty sure I have mentioned before that I was a casual DINOF fan for several years and had not interacted with the phandom or thought much about anything beyond the fact that I found the sketches very funny until a few months ago. I didn't watch Phil at all until I started watching gaming videos about a year ago and I had never gone back to find the fetus videos nor did I know anything about formspring answers or anything of the sort. I actually started looking into the fandom because I was having a discussion with a gay friend from college who was telling me that after he and his husband were featured in an article a bunch of teen girls started following him on IG and we started talking about fetishizing gay relationships online. I sent him Dan's shipping video because I thought it was funny and he told me that Dan and Phil were a classic ship, but a weird one in his opinion because he didn't think either of them were actually gay. He also told me not to look into it any further and that I would never come out the same if I did. Clearly I didn't listen.
I am going to try not to write a book here, but I was trying to remember what some of my thoughts were as a casual viewer, so I thought I would share a few. I can try to write down more if people are interested.

1.) Just watching DINOF, I didn't really pay much attention to Phil because he isn't really featured that much. I thought of them like Louise and Zoe basically. When I watched Dan's draw my life, I remember thinking that it was cool they met each other through YouTube and ended up being able to be roommates since they had the same job.

2.) I thought they were the same age. I didn't think Dan was older, but I definitely would not have guessed that Phil was older. For whatever reason, I thought they were going to different colleges in the same city when they moved in together. No idea why.

3.) Dan talked about his ex-girlfriend, so I just assumed he was straight. I never noticed anything odd about the way Dan looks at Phil. I still think he just makes eye contact when he talks to people in general and because his eyes are so dark it makes it look like he is focusing really hard on whoever is speaking.

4.) Most of my guy friends have "man crushes" so I didn't pay attention to Dan's talk of Evan Peters or anything. If there is one thing I am realizing from writing this, it is probably that as a casual viewer, I wasn't looking for anything, so I didn't see anything. I just didn't think too deeply about it all.

5. When I started seeing more of them together, I thought their relationship was pretty codependent. I still think their relationship, whatever it is, is pretty codependent.

So, that's it for now. Hopefully this was interesting to people curious about casual fans. I also didn't talk about YouTube to any of my friends really, so no one told me anything about them during the time I was watching. I don't even remember how I came across DINOF in the first place to be honest.
captainspacecoat
stress mushroom

freesocks really interesting post! I'm always intrigued to hear about how they're perceived by casual viewers in this, the post-baking universe.

Interestingly, when I first discovered dinof in December 2012 Dan immediately pinged as not-straight to me. I was 16 at the time and deeply closeted, there was a lot about Dan that I related to and I distinctly remember wondering what his sexuality was, and assuming he probably wasn't straight. I think I googled it and the GG threads came up, and from there I was swiftly swept up into the phandom, which was a very different place back then. I remember being fascinated and slightly discomfited at everything the GG threads were uncovering/compiling in early 2013, but not surprised at all.
freesocks wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:06 pm 4.) Most of my guy friends have "man crushes" so I didn't pay attention to Dan's talk of Evan Peters or anything. If there is one thing I am realizing from writing this, it is probably that as a casual viewer, I wasn't looking for anything, so I didn't see anything. I just didn't think too deeply about it all.
I think that's a really interesting point! At the time I discovered Dan (and then Phil a few weeks later), I was a teenager who was confused about my sexuality and subconsciously seeking out reassurance through non-straight people in the media. Thus, sexuality was often what drew me to "celebs" and, rightly or wrongly, I found it difficult to care about straight media because it didn't feel relevant to what I was going through. I wonder if that hadn't been the case, would I have cared enough to investigate further, and would I have remained a casual fan? It's interesting to think about, and I think context and background do explain a lot about people's differing interpretations!
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

Yesterday I was so tired from my busy day I fell asleep straight after dinner, woke up at 3 AM and watched Depz blooper video, then fell asleep again after fucking around on Twitter for a bit :') And suddenly I gotta catch up on like 5 pages.

Congrats D&P for the achievement of 3 million subs on DAPG :woohoo:
And thank you for the lovely gift that was the blooper video. So much soft and deep voice goodness with a side of snarky fondness going on. Boo at bleeping out Phil's swear tho.

Fave parts were Dan getting 'called by a friend' except it was a timer and THE EYELASH GROOMING :love2: :garbage: :love2:
And although we've seen it before I keep laughing my head off at 'copacetic' :lol:

I had hoped they'd make it 10 minutes long like the adsense and algorithm hoes they are and include stuff from older videos as well but who cares I when I can rewatch them picking things off each other's face 100+ times am I right? :D
alostan wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:56 am Okay so, I have a theory. :tinfoil: :tinfoil:
(This is probably just wishful thinking but whatever)

I was checking The Apprentice Twitter and I notice that they are following someone a little strange, Dan. Now I'm thinking, this is a little weird, since when has Dan expressed interest in the apprentice?

But, The Apprentice has had a YouTube episode the past (2?) years, where they have invited youtubers on.

Now I'm not saying that Dan is going going on The Apprentice or that it's produced by the BBC with whom he has links with. I'm also not saying that he was invited to be on Get me out of here and is it such a stretch he'd be invited on another reality show.

(I'm also not saying that they might film in March (I don't know for certain) , no of course I'm not saying that)

So now I've got my hopes to high and am prepared to get them crushed.
Was this a recent follow? Dan and Phil were involved in a promotional video for The Apprentice in 2013.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
lurker
janice from the shop

malday wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:30 pm
He doesn't say anything , he's just silently mouthing the "w-w-why", like doing a dramatic double take.
thanks for clearing that up, it looked like a weird glitch to me! dan is loading...now 78% complete...
thank's you were great
apathy
sad dimple

Catallena wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:46 pm Was this a recent follow? Dan and Phil were involved in a promotional video for The Apprentice in 2013.
Thank you! When this topic came up I was going to say they'd done a commercial for it, but I searched and couldn't find any evidence of it anywhere, so I thought maybe I had remembered incorrectly or was possibly imagining things. I feel better now. :lol: (Why did this not come up anywhere when I searched for things like "danisnotonfire apprentice commercial"? Thanks a lot, google.)

I'm glad their role in this was to look slightly horrified and like they'd rather be anywhere else, because it probably came very naturally.
That's my socializing quota for the month up.
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

Oh wow, I remember that video now. Pretty awkward, but what’s new. I stopped watching the apprentice cos the egos and blather drove me nuts last year, but if you get into it, you start rooting for a few people.

Really interesting post, freesocks. I was the same in not thinking anything, it was only seeing squeeing comments about a look and an arm touch that made me aware of the phandom at all, and I thought they were crazy (still do a bit) and deluded (not so much).
freesocks
spork

captainspacecoat wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:24 pm
freesocks wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:06 pm 4.) Most of my guy friends have "man crushes" so I didn't pay attention to Dan's talk of Evan Peters or anything. If there is one thing I am realizing from writing this, it is probably that as a casual viewer, I wasn't looking for anything, so I didn't see anything. I just didn't think too deeply about it all.
I think that's a really interesting point! At the time I discovered Dan (and then Phil a few weeks later), I was a teenager who was confused about my sexuality and subconsciously seeking out reassurance through non-straight people in the media. Thus, sexuality was often what drew me to "celebs" and, rightly or wrongly, I found it difficult to care about straight media because it didn't feel relevant to what I was going through. I wonder if that hadn't been the case, would I have cared enough to investigate further, and would I have remained a casual fan? It's interesting to think about, and I think context and background do explain a lot about people's differing interpretations!
I definitely think context and background make a big difference because everyone projects onto celebrities, characters, and public figures to some extent (some way too much, but that's a whole other conversation). If someone would have told me that they were a couple or there was speculation that they were a couple when I started watching, my perception of certain things probably would have changed. When I started watching Dan, I was still going through my unfortunate "bro" phase with regards to dating, so I wasn't watching because I was attracted to him, which is probably another reason why I didn't really care much about his sexuality, since I didn't sexualize him the way I might a celeb that I have a crush on. I didn't have the highest self-esteem (bro phase/daddy issues) and so I looked at Dan more like a safe friend (not actually like he was my friend, but that was the lens through which I was viewing his content) who made me laugh about people being ridiculous and helped me feel more comfortable with not always having to be perfect and/or beating myself up when I inevitably failed at that. I generally give other people advice that I should give myself, so seeing someone who was so hard on themselves, but talked about it in a funny way, kind of reminds me that I can be a bit ridiculous at times and I tend to dramatize my awkward/interesting experiences in the same way for the purposes of storytelling, so I liked that about the videos too. Wow, this YouTube analysis is getting deep haha.
flarequake wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:08 pm Really interesting post, freesocks. I was the same in not thinking anything, it was only seeing squeeing comments about a look and an arm touch that made me aware of the phandom at all, and I thought they were crazy (still do a bit) and deluded (not so much).
The fandom still creeps me out in many ways. I could write a whole post on that. If I'm being completely honest, the phandom is the reason why I don't talk about being a fan of Dan and Phil or their videos in my real life. I think everyone knows they don't have a good reputation because they spam the comment sections on other YouTuber's videos, even if they are not at all related. I think they are seen as a tween thing, at least among people I know (I am around the same age as Dan and Phil). Oddly, I have never had an issue saying "I have been watching danisnotonfire for years." People I know who I have shared DINOF videos with who are my age and older generally think they are pretty funny in my experience. It is funny that Dan rebranded (but did he really? he just changed his username) because I feel like "danisnotonfire" is a cooler brand than "Dan and Phil" and by extension "Daniel Howell."