when/how did y'all first get into the phandom??

You can make your first post here!
dancy
procrastinator

I haven't actually been a fan of Dan and Phil for very long yet! I'd say it's been about 2.5 months now, though I've known about them since 2012/2013 through tumblr and the comments sections on youtube. I never watched any of their videos aside from some collabs they had done with other youtubers I liked and I'd see them in Youtubers React every now and then.

I do remember watching a couple of their Undertale videos in early 2016 as I was really into Undertale at the time and had just finished watching Jacksepticeye's playthrough of it. I was quite impatient however and couldn't be bothered to watch their entire playthrough of the game as it took them nearly a year to finish it, so I stopped after a few and forgot about them again lol.

Then (at the beginning of August this year) I searched "Layton's Mystery Journey" on youtube because I used to be a big fan of Professor Layton and was interested in seeing the prologue before buying the game myself and that's how I stumbled across DanAndPhilGAMES again. I watched their Layton video, loved it, went to watch some more gaming videos and that's how I "fell in love" with them. After that I decided to check out their main channels as well and spent the next few days burying myself in Dan and Phil content. I haven't caught up with everything yet though since there's quite a lot I've missed over the years.
blurry-bitch
smol bean
Pronouns: she/her

I somehow stubled upon Phil on youtube in late 2008, a few days after my friend showed me what youtube actually was. This site sort of exceeded all of my expectation back in the day so I quickly became obsessed with using it (I was like, a child back then, you know). I liked Phil's weird sense of humour and creativity. We all know how his old videos used to be. But I didn't understand them 100% because English is not my mother tongue. This actually inspired me to learn English properly (guess I should thank him, I'm taking English studies on uni these days). As I learned more I kept watching and rewatching his videos for practice and fun of course. I also kept showing them to everyone, my mom must have seen like every single one. I found out that Dan has started his channel via twitter and after watching his first video I thought he was a little weird and wasn't sure if I was going to like him. But his humour quickly grew on me.

Sometimes, I can't believe I've stuck around for so long. I think it might be bc of how their content has been changing as I've been growing up. They have never failed to make me laugh whenever I was having a bad time. Mostly, watching their videos just feels like home to me, I'm so used to it, it always just makes me feel so much better.
"Fight me, you ceramic bitch"
greenergrass
stress mushroom

I finally just made an account after lurking here for about a year, so I thought I'd start with posting here.

I first starting watching youtube in general around 2012 I think? It was around the end of university and I stumbled across a couple Jenna Marbles videos and then got hooked. This is also around the time I got into one direction (mostly thanks to procrastinating studying for exams); I then discovered tumblr b/c i was trying to buy tickets for a 1d concert, found this site (tumblr) where people were selling them, and then signed up with my embarrassing tumblr username that I now regret and haven't changed, just so I could message people who were selling their tickets.

Anyways I guess I have a kind of random way of finding D&P, Around 2014 I think, I found carrie hope fletcher b/c there was a video of her singing a song with her brother from mcfly (who were touring with 1d at the time, which is why it was on my dash). This then took me to a recommended video of her video teaching Phil how to sing, then to her video with Dan (which everyone seems to hate - I get why now, but at the time when I first watched it, I found that he was just being sarcastic and actually seemed to be more mature about the topics than most guys his age. I see now why the video was problematic and stuff, but I always find it a bit ironic that that was the video that initially got me hooked).

Anyways, from there I remember watching Phil's shelter series on the gaming channel, then falling into the hole after that. I got really into the fandom side of things around this time last year, when I read a couple of dizzy's fics on ao3, which led me to her tumblr, which led me to idb.
LadyLackless
cheeky #spon
Pronouns: She/Her

I came to the phandom via a strange route... figure skating!

Uh, what?

I adore figure skating and have been a trash fujoshi since time immemorial (my degree was in Japanese, 20 years ago...), so when I belatedly discovered in May/June 2017 that they had made a sports anime about gay figure skaters I was ALL OVER IT on YouTube. Once I had finished and there was a Yuri-shaped hole in my life I started watching the crack edits, then the reactions to the crack edits (Thanks LazyJamie...) which led me on to Phan crack edit reactions... which led me to our boys.

I started with the gaming channel (I wasn’t even aware they had individual channels until later... derp) and watched the Sims 4 series, then to Bishi Bashi Special which I played TO DEATH back in the day... then I decided I had to be systematic and watched all their videos... in order... started in early Sept 2017 and have just caught up to present day. Considering I have 2 kids and a full time job I feel like that’s respectable (I have a 3hr commute every day, with Wi-fi, which helps..)
chickchick
first-time poster

I joined the phandom over the summer (last four to six months ish). A friend showed me the Sims 4 series- which I adored as an avid simmer who found it hilarious watching these newbs play so slowly and haphazardly. I moved onto that horse love rpg (Phil's american voice is such a turn on for me idek) and was just sort of gently pursuing some of their gaming videos.

Then sometime around when Dan came out with his depression video I really fell into everything they did. I can't remember if I watched his depression video first or his Awkward Fancy Meal with Louise- but those two videos basically sucked me into everything Dan and Phil. The depression video came at a time when I needed to hear something like that, and his awkward fancy meal video with Louise is basically the funniest thing I've ever seen on youtube. I don't know why it hit me so hard but I started tearing up I laughed so hard first time I saw it.

Now I'm happily working my way through all the youtube gossip and content they've produced in the last ten ish years :D
pinkat
first-time poster

I found Dan and Phil almost 5 years ago, when they interviewed Anthony Padilla for the BBC. At that point, I mostly watched American YouTubers or gamers, but I distinctly remember finding the way that they pronounced Anthony hilarious, so I looked into their videos, and have watched them and kept up with the phandom fairly consistently ever since. They've pretty much been the only YouTubers and one of very few fandoms that have kept my interest for more than a few months.

I used to lurk on GG for a long time, but stopped mostly because I found it too negative and my level of interest in Dan and Phil waxes and wanes anyway. At that point, I mostly stuck to the tumblr phandom and followed a couple of the more well known blogs. Eventually, I wanted to see more discussion again, and to my surprise, the DnP subform on GG was pretty much dead. I can't remember whether I ended up finding IDB from phantaray or just regular old Google. I've been lurking here for probably over a year, but I figured I might as well make an account and maybe post once in a while. And their 2017 content has been A+.
phillyforgot
butt chair

I think I properly found them in 2015 when I watched teens reacting to them and checked out their channel. I think I've heard of them before that and I think I specifically remember wondering where the whole 'don't cry, craft' is from. I even think I passed Dan's channel once, thinking it belonged to someone else and being disappointed.

I checked out their videos and I was pretty impressed for the most part, because they made me laugh at times. While I did watch a lot of their stuff, I mainly considered myself a casual viewer and decided to stop watching for a certain period of time.

I revisited them several times and I think I actively watched them again in 2016. I continued watching them since then and here I am.

It's not an especially interesting story, but hey, I just felt like I needed to tell it.
ramenphan
first-time poster

at first i hated them in 2015/2016 because of the obnoxious phandom. i think the first video i watched of dan was the diss track, but purely because i was watching all the youtubers roast yourself diss tracks and it came up in my search results. i actually liked it, but i didnt go further than that. in the end of 2016, i had a friend who was in the the crybaby fandom (which i used to be in so thats whyw were friends ) and the phandom. she used to always send me pics of them,make references,and other shit like that. i made fun of her and i said shit like the guy with black hair is ugly and has no eyebrows and that the guy with brown hair is hotter (smh at past self) but she told me that one day ill understand. i didnt really think much of it and continued my hate for the phandom. in like april of 2017 i rewatched the diss track and then i got into his old videos that he used to make in 2012/2013/2014 and i really liked them. i stopped watching him after like 2 days lmao but in june of 2017 i got back into him and i eventually subscribed to phil. then i fell into the big hole of the phandom that i would never think would never happen. the whole summer of 2017 was basically just me fangirling and shipping phan lmao.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

phillyforgot wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:55 am I think I properly found them in 2015 when I watched teens reacting to them and checked out their channel. I think I've heard of them before that and I think I specifically remember wondering where the whole 'don't cry, craft' is from
Oh, man. That really will be their legacy on youtube, won't it? lmao

:welcome:
ramenphan wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:14 amat first i hated them in 2015/2016 because of the obnoxious phandom.
I relate to this somewhat - I didn't hate them because of the phandom but in 2013/2014, I definitely had phan/phandom on my tumblr blacklist.
:welcome:
honeybee
squish

Hey guys, made an account rather than just lurking forever lol.

I can't specifically remember when I first found out about dnp. I sort of always seemed to know of "dan and phil", but the first video I can definitely remember watching was Dan and Tyler being offensive that my friend showed me in summer 2014 when it came out. Then the same friend later showed me their slender playthrough which made me interested enough to look into the gaming channel. I think it was the minecraft video that got me to subscribe around easter 2015. And I've been in this wonderful trashcan ever since :number1:

I can't really remember the order that I watched all their videos in, I think it was sort of just based off what popped up in recommended. I sorta still consider the gaming channel my favourite channel in terms of enjoyment watching (tho I also love liveshows and always miss them when there's a drought), but I think I'm a bit biased because the gaming channel is what lead me to love them the most, sort of thing.

Oh, and I also remember watching the interview they did with Anamanaguchi, before I started properly watching them, and then I watched it again afterwards and realised I'd already seen it ages ago :lol:

Anyway, nice to meet y'all! :ribena:
maelstrom
tol bean

been hearing about idb pretty much since i joined the phandom, finally got to exploring in here and decided to make an account

dnp were some of the first youtubers i started watching in 2012, after charlieissocoollike and al*x d*y :( . i remember my first dan video was the one about shipping and otps and shit. not sure when i found out about phil tbh but i think it was pretty soon after? and i've been subscribed to them ever since. i didn't really get into phandom until around oct/nov 2016 bc i associated it w really cringey 11/12/13 year olds but i've discovered that the phandom is a lot more complex than that and that there are actually quite a few people around my age (20+) that enjoy dnp's content, which makes me happy bc they've been a pretty big part of my life since i was 15 and their content is still some of my favorite on youtube

nice to meet everyone!
theseclouds
crusty sponge

Hi all! :wave:

I distinctively remember watching Dan's "What Not to Do on Public Transport" video sometime pre-2013, but I was cursed with really shitty internet back then (you needed to let a 5 minute video load for like half an hour before you could watch it) and I think I also didn't quite understand how YouTube worked? A few years later I moved, got better internet and got into YouTube properly, and I think casually knew of their existence (but not of the phandom's). I properly got into their solo videos in early 2015, and then a friend suggested I watch their gaming channel too. and then I stumbled into phandom properly, made a sideblog on tumblr, and here we are now. :lol:
sweetlyphan
delia smith

Hi everyone! I'd say I "officially" became part of the phandom a few months before TATINOF came out. I remember watching a few Dan videos in 2012 because some popped up on my dash but i just couldn't get into him or Phil. Then for some unknown reason in 2015 I decided to give them another chance and I found their gaming channel. Once I finished watching all those videos, I watched their solo content and tried learning everything I could. Made my sideblog and now here I am.
:prideheart2:
WrongEraDreamer
phillion/danosaur <//3

I started to watch just Dan in like late 2012 because youtubers started to become popular but since I always acted like "I'm not like the other girls" (CRINGE!!!)I was very judgmental but somehow found Dan worthy enough for me to watch. I remained a very casual viewer until mid/late 2014 when I was just casually wasting time on Tumblr and saw a post of DnP with very shippy gifs and I had heard before about people shipping them but I never paid attention to it (or Phil, I just watched the ones he had with Dan). The gifs called my attention and for a moment I was like "Wait.... are they really together??? what?" and since I was bored I decided to look up the videos where the gifs came from (from main channel videos to radio show clips and other stuff) and I started to feel "weird" because I didn't ship them at all but I started to see what people meant. Without realising it I spent a whole day digging and finding and well..... I shipped it.... and then gave Phil another chance..... and now here I am.

Hi! hahahahahaha
amberblogslife
squish

Hi everyone!

I watched the AmazingDan video back in 2010 when it first came out, and have been watching both Dan and Phil ever since. I did fall off the wagon for a bit during the 2012 period, because I felt personally offended by Dan's change in attitude. Silly me, now I've actually found a brain! I ship their internet persona's but am very aware of the fact that I don't know them as actual people, so I treat the idea of them together like I would with any other friends of mine: "I think you fit well together, but idk what's actually going on and I'm not forcing anything". Never read any phanfiction either, for the same "they are real people" reason :)
Constantly in an existential crisis.
lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual

Hello and :welcome: !

I'm impressed that you started with AmazingDan and are still not sure they are together. :ribena: I'm envious of folks who've known them since way back when and glad to have you joining in the conversation!
"If you're left-handed, ask a friend."
"Why am I left-handed?"
"Everybody makes mistakes."
lesterchuu
philussy
Pronouns: he/she/they

i wonder if this is too late for me to post this now but, shrugs

my memories were fuzzy but according to my earliest tumblr post about them, i joined around late 2012. ive seen their videos floating around before that but never really got invested until then. i dont even remember what was the very first video i saw of them, but i dont doubt for a second it was probably dan's. as any sane 16 year old, i watched all their videos and got hooked. it was around the time i started waning away from the homestuck (ohgod) fandom and i was just floating around tumblr purgatory without any purpose when i decided to join the "phandom" cz why not?

i was young back then, and i sure as HELL was very vocal about shipping them. it wasnt long until i became an active phanartist on tumblr. i drew so many shippy fanart, but i also drew other peoples headcanons and fanfic stuff for fun. i remember making highlight doodles during their liveshows and getting noticed by dnp every now and then. i particularly enjoyed making my mutuals cry with my sad au headcanons....those were fun times, but alas...i had to do adult stuff like look for a job and got busier with my life. it was also around the time that drama after drama keep on popping up everywhere so i slowly lost my interest and disappeared.

about 4~5 years later, i watched their newer videos out of nostalgia and thought how the times have changed. they felt more open and comfortable and when i looked through fandom stuff, everyone was generally happy? in my head i was thinking, "what happened when i was gone?" ive started drawing dnp again and i still do "ship" them....but ive been a bit more tight lipped because my opinions had changed. the only times i ever openly talk about liking the idea of them as a couple is when im posting here or on my phan tumblr account....never on my main accounts. ive tried looking up my old mutuals but sadly they too have lost interest in dnp and disappeared...so im back to not knowing anyone in the phandom... :napsta: (wow way to end on a sad note, but im ok with it. im just here for the cute teasing and domestic bants)
"you are next to me in my life"
Cutiejea
not a first-time poster

The year is 2014...

In a world where you're in senior year and you're now outgrowing annoying orange + personal mental health issues are arising, 2 boys with cat whiskers on their faces instead of capes will come and save you from your misery.
lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual

Hello and :welcome: to this corner of the phandom! I love your description of how Dan & Phil came into your life--very poetic. :ribena:
"Why am I left-handed?"
astudyinfondness
not a first-time poster

Hi :) I thought I could make my first post in this topic! I've been ranked a "long-time lurker" which I think is a fairly accurate reflection of my involvement in the phandom, but I'm hoping to get more involved (assuming my time management skills improve)

I first heard of Dan and Phil as they were kicking off TATINOF USA. I saw my sister cackling at her laptop, and as someone who thrives off of anything that makes you laugh, I kept pestering her about it as any respectful sibling would do haha. Eventually, she coughed up Dan and Phil's names, then I searched them up on Youtube. Their 2015 Easter baking video made a good first impression on me, so I started to play all their solo vids in chronological order

After seeing 'phan' in the comments before I'd gotten to Dan's videos, googling that term brought me to ao3. I tried the classic sorting by kudos and before I knew it I was combing through bookmark after bookmark while I made my way through every dnp video I could get my hands on. I was hooked on their chemistry, their relationship, their history, the real (not fictional for the first time omg) people behind Amazingphil and danisnotonfire, and the brilliance of people in the phandom. Eventually, I found @oqua's pasta sauce, which brought me here

Sometime after watching every dnp-related video I could get my hands on, I created a side blog and later this account to keep up (or try to keep up - I was so overwhelmed) with all the discussion and the people contributing to it

Anyway, I look forward to taking part in the idb discussion soon!
lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual

astudyinfondness wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:29 am Hi :) I thought I could make my first post in this topic! I've been ranked a "long-time lurker" which I think is a fairly accurate reflection of my involvement in the phandom, but I'm hoping to get more involved (assuming my time management skills improve)

I first heard of Dan and Phil as they were kicking off TATINOF USA. I saw my sister cackling at her laptop, and as someone who thrives off of anything that makes you laugh, I kept pestering her about it as any respectful sibling would do haha. Eventually, she coughed up Dan and Phil's names, then I searched them up on Youtube. Their 2015 Easter baking video made a good first impression on me, so I started to play all their solo vids in chronological order

After seeing 'phan' in the comments before I'd gotten to Dan's videos, googling that term brought me to ao3. I tried the classic sorting by kudos and before I knew it I was combing through bookmark after bookmark while I made my way through every dnp video I could get my hands on. I was hooked on their chemistry, their relationship, their history, the real (not fictional for the first time omg) people behind Amazingphil and danisnotonfire, and the brilliance of people in the phandom. Eventually, I found @oqua's pasta sauce, which brought me here

Sometime after watching every dnp-related video I could get my hands on, I created a side blog and later this account to keep up (or try to keep up - I was so overwhelmed) with all the discussion and the people contributing to it

Anyway, I look forward to taking part in the idb discussion soon!
Oh, yes, @oqua's fics (and videos) tend to draw one in! :tu: And she's done so much work creating this forum ofc.

:welcome: and join in the bants!
"Why am I left-handed?"
Andy
squish

Hi hello!
I believe this is the right place for my Dan And Phil Timeline Story™️ that i've been thinking about for quite some time but never actually written down.
It starts on July 31, 2013, when my classmate sends me a link to a facebook page. On the facebook page is some kind of competition. My classmate has drawn Dan and Phil and asks for likes. I don't really care about the competition and i click out of the page.
The next instance happens the same summer, as it happens to be the summer i get my very own computer and access to internet, which causes me to fall into fandoms, hard. I come across Dan's video about the topic, and while i find it informative, he doesn't fully capture my attention and i click out of the tab again.

Then, some good 2 years pass and i only become aware of deppy again when the same classmate starts talking about their book. During that 2 years i've started watching bigger youtubers and have heard about books being released, but i think anyone who does that is just desperate for money and exploiting their fans. I still flick through the pages of TABINOF when i see it in the bookstore.

3 incidents happen between October 2015 and February 2016:
1. I see somebody from the Muse fandom on my tumblr dash. They have posted a screenshot of Phil from the London ditl, asking if this guy really has a framed picture of Matt Bellamy on his bathroom window. I recognise the name and look up "a day in the life of dan and phil." That is how the manchester ditl ends up being my first Phil video.
2. I try to find fanfiction about Matt Watson. Only thing that shows up on ao3 is a phanfiction that has tagged Louise's husband(not the Matt that i was looking for) The phanfiction is called Imprint(by silverluminosity, thatsmistertoyou. I'ts a soulmate au and i still consider it a good read)
3. I randomly remember the flash game Can Your Pet. I look it up and see their video+ learn that they have a gaming channel.

From February 2016 things escalate. A lot. I start watching Dan's videos, branching out to Phil. From there, dnpgames, snippets of liveshows, radioshows, anything i can get my hands on, really. I stay up til 6 am on school nights just to binge their content.
I consider myself part of the phandom since February 29, 2016. (which makes remembering/celebrating the anniversaries pretty confusing, i know)
Also there's less time between the anniversary than when i joined, wow, i never thought i would make it this far
inspiredLester
first-time poster

i remember exactly what happened! i was at my first girlfriend's house in spring of 2015 and i had heard *nothing* about them before except the occasional tweet that got popular. she showed me the easter baking 2015 (easter nests) and i thought it was a little weird, since dan was wearing the bunny suit. about midway through the video i asked her if they lived together.
"yeah, they do! they've lived together for a long time"
me: "...are they dating?"
i feel like such a cliche tbh since i was That Person but idk here we are today, 3 years later, and i've written fanfic, made gifs, and done art since then. i ended up immediately subscribing to both of them and spending a weekend bingeing most of their videos. i always remember them being this comforting thing in my life, since 7th grade to now, 11th grade, has been kind of a rollercoaster. i'm honestly so happy to see them being more comfortable and genuine on-camera :D
holdmetightjoon
not a first-time poster

my little sister was the one who showed me dan's youtube videos back in 2012. then i started watching phil's videos when i saw videos of the two of them together. i was a casual view up until 2014 when i started becoming more involved in the phandom!!
make me the light for the rest of the world :love2:
japhan
smol bean

disclaimer- i was born in 2000, so i'm pretty much the age of whatever year it was at the time. just for context lol because i was Young, Dumb, and Innocent when i first discovered dan and phil.

Ok, so I exclusively watched Minecraft videos on YouTube starting in like 2009 or 2010 until like 2012 when my irl friend sent me a bunch of charlieissocoollike videos and told me to watch them and I soon watched Charlie religiously. So, when Dan uploaded his shipping video (I Will Go Down With This Ship), I clicked because I saw Charlie, but was a little off put when I saw Dan and clicked away pretty quickly.

Fast-forward to summer 2013 and I saw the darn shipping video again when I was on a rewatch spree of Charlie and clicked it again and tried to give it a chance. I didn't understand fandom culture/shipping/Tumblr stuff in the slightest, so I was confused by the video, but I was bored so I clicked on another one of Dan's videos (I wanna say it was Panic Alarm) and it made me laugh, so I watched more & subscribed. I was only there for his solo #relatable content in the beginning. But after a little bit (mostly spurred by reading kinda shippy "bromance" YouTube comments tbh), I began to watch their joint content (a lot of the jokes went over my head ngl) and then Phil's solo content and thought they were cute together, but my heteronormative mind easily bought the two awkward, single nerdy guys living together shtick. But Dan's #relatable content about Tumblr and the Tumblr tag videos they made together made me curious about the Dan and Phil Tumblr world, so I googled around about Dan and Phil and Tumblr a lot and I found a Phan anti-proof blog at first, which ironically introduced me to the vday video and all the classic phan proof. The blog also linked to Phantaray and ThePhanDirectory, and I spent a couple of late nights reading through everything. I also found GG from Phantaray. I fondly remember watching the radio shows live and making gifs of their videos and stuff on Tumblr... went to Vidcon too lol

I kinda took a break from deppy after the TABINOF/TATINOF was announced in 2015 because I was not super interested YouTuber books/tours/stuff (the graphic design kinda threw me off too... it felt kinda childish... but I was a Child so idk what I was thinking) and after the announcement, everything in their videos/the Phandom revolved around the book and tour (AND I was starting to get super busy with irl stuff), so I started losing interest in their videos and abandoned my Tumblr.

A couple of months ago, though, I came back because I saw the Cards Against Humanity video and I remembered a discussion on GG about them playing "grown up games" on the gaming channel eventually, but everyone was in agreement that it would not happen. I remembered wishfully thinking about them playing Cards Against Humanity on the gaming channel, so when I saw the video I was kinda happily in shock. I loved the video and I watched some more recent gems and I realized that I really liked a lot of their recent content (post-baking video universe strikes again I guess)... so I started stanning again. Catching up on 2015 to 2018 content was more work (work in the best way possible) than catching up 2009 to 2013 content when I first discovered them.

I also made the last minute decision to buy Interactive Introverts LA tickets and drag one of my irl friends to it. Overall I'm still a little shocked about how different they are and I'm super excited for what the future will bring. :D
:blackheart: