when/how did y'all first get into the phandom??

You can make your first post here!
goodbants
drama llama
Pronouns: she/her/hers

I've just made an account to this site although I've known about Dan and Phil since the end of 2012/beginning of 2013. The first ever video I watched was Phil's My American Accent. It was recommended to me after I watched Charlie McDonnell's vid where he did an American accent. It's funny, I remember being really confused at first, probably cause I was a dumb 13 year old, but I couldn't tell if Dan and Phil were British and pretending to put on an American accent or if they were actually American and faking an English accent lol.

I became absolutely fascinated with them. They shaped my adolescence, in a way. They showed me the world of tumblr, which I'm slightly less addicted to than I was 5 years ago. I was kind of a copycat when I first discovered them and listened to Muse, MCR, and went through an emo phase just cause of them.

I'll go long periods of following them really closely and then following them casually. I saw TATINOF in 2016 and didn't follow them as closely after that. Recently I've been struggling with depression so I find myself gravitating to them more to help me feel better. I'm so proud of them and I'm thankful that they exist. It's just recently I got as into the Phandom as I was when I was 13/14. I'm almost 20 now. It takes me back in time. There's something so comforting about returning to a fandom, knowing that it still exists and is still thriving, and there are still people who love and adore these emo nerds as much as I do. I love them with all my heart ❤️
:sparkle: this was the most fun i've ever had :sparkle:
nurikii
not a first-time poster
Pronouns: she/her

Hello! I actually found dnp because I'm an avid fanfic reader. Sometimes when I'm bored of my current fandoms I read other AU fics of other fandoms even when I don't know who the characters are. And that's how I found dnp. I was aware of them but I didn't watch them at first, well I didn't really watch vlogers at all actually. I was searching for some new fics and searched the reality show AU tag on AO3 (i think?) n there they are. and then I googled them to get general impression and there I was, reading AU phanfics. After that I read their TV tropes and got more curious and watched their videos and got hooked! I genuinely like watching them now, and the abundance of quality phanfics here doesn't hurt too. :D I was just a lurker, but I really enjoyed reading theories and reactions of everyone here. People are just so nice and respectful.
anushwa
crusty sponge

i like other cool kids was super into parody music videos and youtubers like nicepeter? and the key of awesome and stuff. I think i just happened to stumble upon dan's videos and got sucked in. Later i even found out that he had a supernote team! meanwhile i was supporting nicepeter's team lol.

I started watching loads of their videos and superamazingproject and what not. And oh god, The radio. I used to stay up till 12:30 am when their stupid radio show would begin and stay up (on a school night smh) for it and liveblog it on tumblr. I didn't even have a laptop then so i could only listen to it on my phone! As for "phan" i think tumblr won me over? at first it started off as jokes about them being together (which i found kind of fun, the phandom is funny) and then i read a few fics and suddenly got hit with the thought that "This Could Totally Happen. In fact there's no way for me to know it's not happening Right Now!" and since then i've been fairly in love with the concept of them in love (even if it is only platonic, it's lovely) <3

@nurikii funnily enough, that's how i got into the bbc merlin fandom! the modern AU fics were like fully different from the show and SO Good oh god. I still love the fics and it's unbelievable but the fandom is still alive! Though the show isn't.
"the greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return"
dc34
glabella

Hello!

I first saw deppy on youtubers react back in 2013 but never checked in on them. A year later, I then went on a binge of youtubers reacting to reactors reacting to them, and I discovered them. So, my first video was Dan and Phil react to Teens react to Dan and Phil. I liked their personalities so i binged all of Dan's videos first since I was on his channel , and found them hilarious, then I binged Phil's. I joined the phandom when I was 14 and im now 20 so its been a long ride. Actually when I first went to college I stopped watching since I got busy, but this year youtube recommended me GTPWTW and I fell back in the hole again, thats how powerful that video was. I bought the ii tickets and caught up on what I had missed for the past 2 years and now im back and more trash than ever :garbage:
FlegmaticSimon
drama llama

Sorry for bumping an old thread, but I think it's my turn to confess now. :) I had heard of them before, but only joined…

Last November. Yes, that's quite late. :D Anyway, I started watching because I was looking for new youtubers to watch. If you read the other thread, you know that I have left a few fandoms (mostly youtubers.) I only watch two channels now, one of them being Dan and Phil Games (and their personal channels).

So, I was looking for British youtubers. Weird, I know. :D I wanted to get used to the non-regional British accents, so when someone suggested Dan and Phil, I immediately watched them. I loved their humour!

"Come for the accent, stay for the… humour." :lol:
astraltraveller
smol bean
Pronouns: she

hi! my name is [astra] ! (sorry dan i cannot help it :rofl: )
and this is my story with my best ability to write in english... :ribena:

i saw their picture on my instagram explore back in 2015 or 2016, i dont really remember when i thought they were a cute couple... sometimes later i stumbled upon dan's channel on my recommended because i saw him on my ig explore i went to check out his content, liked his personal space video and then i found phil's channel through dan (and found out that they're actually bestfriends and flatmates) i liked his older videos like philippa and geddan but not subscribed because i'm too lazy to make a yt account.
then i got busy on college activity, some drama with my friends, homework, more homework
and i forgot these nerds exist...

on december 2018, i went on youtube bingewatch to procrastinate writing my thesis, and i want to checkout all youtuber that i used to watch like filthyfrank, joey, connor, some booty guru (jeffre, manny- i dont like u now, james), pewdiepie, jenna, critikal, df and lots of gaming channel i used to watch (little sad that franku doesnt make video anymore) and then i found dapg again from their skyrim video, they are really funny i really like their interaction and... bants? especially when they play a good game. and boy looks like phil couldn't stop mentioning nipples or dick on almost every single video on dapg. suck that dinof and dapg went on hiatus when i come back.

so i went on tumblr (recently unblocked on my country), tbh that place is cringy af and it's like everyone overreact/offended on almost everything, to save my soul and some of my braincells i went on google to find a civil place for a phandom member and found gg, then i found the drug deal, while i try to find the password i stumbled upon here so here i am... thankfully found out the 1st and 2nd password aaand binge watch all of them. not sure i'll be an active poster, i'm not confident enough with my english and i don't want to offend anybody with a simple misunderstanding because of language barrier or something like that.
attack helicopter
maybe i'll be tracer, i'm already tracer, whatabout widowmaker, i'm already widowmaker, i'll be bastion, NERF BASTION~~♪♫♬
lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual

@astraltraveller Hello and :welcome: !

I always enjoy hearing stories about how people got into the phandom. This bit of your story resonated with me on two counts:
i liked his older videos like philippa and geddan but not subscribed because i'm too lazy to make a yt account.
It's great to meet a fan of youtubers who doesn't have a youtube account--I thought I was the only one. :platonic: I also agree that the best Phil videos are the really old ones (and I guess since he's not making any more of those, no need to subscribe!).

Anyway, please continue to join in the bants! (Needless to say, your English is great. :lilheart: :tu: )
"If you're left-handed, ask a friend."
"Why am I left-handed?"
"Everybody makes mistakes."
astraltraveller
smol bean
Pronouns: she

@lefthandedism Hello! thank you for your warm welcome :platonic:

Now I have a youtube account to help pewdiepie, I also subscribed to Dan and Phil's channel. I hope Phil will continue with his current upload schedule and for Dan to upload, since I feel sorry for the people who have experienced the content drought.

Again I just want to say thank you for your welcome :love1:
attack helicopter
maybe i'll be tracer, i'm already tracer, whatabout widowmaker, i'm already widowmaker, i'll be bastion, NERF BASTION~~♪♫♬
uwu
phillion/danosaur <//3

For me, it was the summer of 2016. I was really into the sims, but at that point in time, it was a fading fad. I binged so many youtubers playing the sims until I had basically run out of what to watch, and by that point, I had defined what kinds of sims videos I liked. I wanted a sims series that was 1: genuinely funny and entertaining 2: didn't have so many long videos I'd get overwhelmed, and 3: was still being updated on. I looked for the right series by searching through playlists and very quickly found dnp's.

Now, I was well aware of who they were long before this, and I admit I believed that that all the members of the phandom were cringey and/or toxic. So, for years I had stopped myself from watching dnp even when my friends started getting into them (oddly enough, I'm now the only one in the group that still watches them). I also heard that the phandom is extremely hard to leave, and that definitely scared me. I remember distinctly telling myself not to get addicted and to only casually watch their videos.

But I took the leap of faith and hit play on that playlist, and to say I had a big storm coming would be an under statement. I fell into the hole, first only watching DAPG, then only joint videos, then switching between their channels for solo content.

And I've stayed a huge lurker for years. I've never made a fan account or any account specifically for dnp until today, but I still followed along extensively. After years of watching the drama, excitement, speculation, and memes unfold, it's weird to actually type about these two guys who helped me through so much instead of watching everything go down and keeping my thoughts to myself.

I wish I had joined sooner, but I was very afraid to do so. I'll probably remain a lurker for the most part, but at least now I have somewhere to talk about dnp if I want to, and maybe I'll make some friends uwu
lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual

Hello and :welcome: ! I loved reading your phandom story and am glad you picked this forum to say your piece! :lilheart:
"Why am I left-handed?"
one(1)phillie
phillion/danosaur <//3

Having been on the internet I suppose I've always been aware of the phandom but I think the first time I actively searched them up was because of the Hillywood show's DNP parody. Having been aware of the phandom I had always been aware of its bad rep so I quickly retreated. Then fast forward to a month ago a friend sent "Basically I'm Gay" to a GC and now I'm doing 10 (11?) years worth of catch up on this fandom
Sami
squish

So, I have something terrible to admit :(
I actually only discovered Dan and Phil this year through BIG! It kept appearing on my home page but it took me a few weeks before I decided to watch it :oops:
Since then they have taken over my recommendations, I have bought a couple of Phil's t-shirts and II in DVD!
I wish I could go back in time and find them earlier but at least I haven't been used to regular content so the occasional ig story or tweet seems normal to me.
Hoot hoot, b*tch - Phil Lester 2019
kate
first-time poster

helllooooo everyone! this is a bit of a dead thread - however i'm willing to bring it back to life, guess i'm a bit like jesus in that respect.

i got into deppy (we still calling them deppy these days?) around 2012/13 as they semi formed part of the "british youtuber" gang (*utter cringe*). i quickly realised they were much more special than that and discovered the little corner of guru gossiper which was the DnP thread. it was so different from the rest of the site - there was more mystery surrounding DnP at that point than anything else, and none of the honestly putrid toxicity of the rest of the site. i guess that's always been some of dnp's appeal, they don't put everything out there for the fans, it makes them more real that they keep some of the personal personal. i digress.

i lurked on GG many a night, especially just in that thread, reading, taking it all in. i had a couple copies of the vday vid saved (don't @ me), made deppy playlists, went to see them on their first tour and it was all great. i have a lotta lotta nostalgia for these threads and all the happiness they gave me during some dark times. and why i'm back? well i'm not sure, not sure i'll ever be as avid a lurker as i once was, but there's gotta be a happy medium :ribena:

<3 <3
:aceflag: we are accidents waiting to happen
elipie
phillion/danosaur <//3

Hi! I've been semi-lurking in phandom for a while (really only because I only have two friends who are still into D&P these days) and stumbled over here via the IDB youtube channel.

I first got into D&P last year. I'd heard of them before, and I think I'd seen maybe one or two of their videos back in 2010ish, but only started watching them last year. I saw Basically I'm Gay trending on twitter, and vaguely remembered Dan's name (plus, as a bi woman, I'm always a sucker for coming out videos), so went to watch it. I thought it was so well done and I immediately just really cared for Dan and liked his prose and sense of humor. That made me interested enough to click on "Giving The People What They Want" and hooooo-boy I was done for after that! I actually still haven't seen a lot of their older stuff, but I LOVE their gaming channel and videos from 2016ish on.

Anyway, hello! Looking forward to hopefully making some new phandom friends! :)
lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual

Hello and :welcome: !
elipie wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 5:54 am I immediately just really cared for Dan and liked his prose and sense of humor.
I think this sums up discovering Dan perfectly. For me, anyway! :tu:
"Why am I left-handed?"
snoopysadie
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

awww i didn't see this when i first joined but given that i come and go, and i like talking about this, i'll share how i got here:

In 2013 I was in high school and a friend who was v emo and into self-deprecating humor and tumblr told me about danisnotonfire, who was a tumblr icon at the time ?), and she was like "you DON'T know him?".
So I went to check him out and I watched the last video he had uploaded at the time(Apartment Tour). I loved him instantly and watched all his videos. I found phil through dan but I wouldn't watch phil exclusively for another year. I also found out they had a radio show but it was always on when I was on a bus going from my dad's to my mum and the only way I could watch it was the internet so I always missed it (also I wasn't that great with English yet so it was hard to watch those).
Anyway, in 2014 when they launched their gaming channel it became a must and by 2015 I was already in the fandom.

Also in 2014, as a casual viewer, I kinda thought they looked cute together but another friend who watched them told me "they had girlfriends" (I DON'T KNOW WHERE SHE GOT THAT, LMAO, I guess it was heteronormativity making assumptions in her head). so, until 2015 I actually thought they were manly bro pals with girlfriendsTM. And then 2016 came.
Ah, 2016. The year I bought merch from the other side of the world with my dad's credit card without permission.

My deepest year in the fandom was 2017, when I found phandirectory and, well, here. :')
"I still remember... the first day I met you."
"I remember it, too"
call_me_zero
smol bean
Pronouns: he/him

I actually don't really remember when or how I got into the phandom but I think it was late 2013 or early 2014! I'm guessing a Phil video kept popping up in my recommended, because I remember Phil was the first of the two of them that I started watching. I think it took me a couple of months to find out Dan had a channel + subscribe to him. I wish I was able to get into them as early as some people did but I'm glad I've been in the phandom for so long and I've gotten to enjoy so many experiences.
-xo zerø <3