when/how did y'all first get into the phandom??

You can make your first post here!
hophigh
squish
Pronouns: she/her

share when and how you guys first got into dan and phil!!!

i'll go first:

i first started watching dan in 2012. he kept popping up in my recommendations when i watched alex day( ) and charlieissocoolike ( i'm still subscribed to him!!) i remember watching his videos and DYING laughing! i subscribed to phil a couple months later. it took a while for phil's sense of humor to grow on me, but it did! i wasn't active in the phandom until much much later, in 2014. before that i was a very casual fan. i had no idea all this drama even happened until the end of 2014!!

how about you guys?
spider
ar·tic·u·late

Casual viewer of Dan since 2012. Didn't start watching Phil until 2015. There was a comment about voldy on one of Dan's videos. Not hard to guess what happened next.
manged
lady door

(I feel like I've shared this 100 times oh well) I saw a gif of Dan back in 2011 and thought he was pretty, so I googled him and then immediately lost interest. Then in 2014, after seeing post after post about them on Tumblr, I finally watched their Mortal Kombat gaming video, thought the Animality reactions were priceless, and never turned back.

I would always see their threads listed in GG. I would hear people reference them in videos (for a while, I just thought they were radio DJs that had a lot of YT friends). I also watched the V-Day video before really knowing much about who they were. It's fun to look back on those times before knowing how they'd soon consume so much of my free time.
angrymob
hobbit hair

Started watching Phil casually in late 2008 probably. Found out about him from either the front page, AndrewBravener sidebar recommendations, or VlogCandy. Watched a few Dan videos, but not a lot, and finally actually subscribed to Dan in early 2015 when I got back into watching Youtube seriously. Which is fair warning to anyone who I haven't spoken to yet, that I'm nostalgic af about old youtube.
blueapple_x
flower crown

I think I discovered Dan around March 2013 because I think the most recent video on his channel at the time was the panic alarm. But the first video I saw of Dan's was actually psycho french teacher because of the recommended video section. I thought it was funny/interesting so I checked out more of his vids. I found Phil through Dan but I don't remember the first video I saw of Phil's but I remember it took me a while to "get" him too.

And because I'm weird and very choosy with subscriptions, it took me a while to actually subscribe to any youtubers at all. I actually subbed to Phil first and it was an accident lol! I accidentally pushed subscribe while watching one of Phil's videos, then clicked unsubscribe, then felt guilty, then clicked subscribe again. I then realized how ridiculous and anal I was so I went through and subscribed to all the channels I watched--which included Dan's.
And I never looked back lol.

Does anyone know if youtube has a function that allows you to see when you subscribed to a channel? It'd be nice to double check when I actually/finally made the leap of faith to subscribe. I'm being dramatic lol
angrymob
hobbit hair

blueapple_x wrote: Does anyone know if youtube has a function that allows you to see when you subscribed to a channel? It'd be nice to double check when I actually/finally made the leap of faith to subscribe. I'm being dramatic lol
I don't think so, no. I've been trying to wrack my brain to think of what the first Phil video I watched was to hopefully answer that same dilemma for myself. I remember my first youtube video ever, but not what order I started watching people after that.
Rusty
phillion/danosaur <//3

It was very late May of 2015, so very recent. Funnily enough, I discovered them through Tumblr because Dan's Tumblr was recommended to me under the search bar of the app. I browsed his Tumblr for a bit and didn't realize he was a YouTube until I then saw one of their Bishi Bashi videos was recommended to me while watching an entirely different YouTuber. It sounds like I'm a newbie to the world of Dan and Phil, but I fell through that rabbit hole pretty quick and caught up as much as possible thanks to most of you.
missemma
#teamshavedsides
#teamshavedsides

I was watching another youtuber in 2014 when Dan popped up in the video and he instantly interested me, so I googled to find out a bit more about him, I found information that he listened to obscure metal music which interested me the most, then spent the weekend bingewatching his videos, ultimately then finding Phil too. Ended up binge watching most of Phils videos and then SAP (what a series).
From there I googled to find a D&P forum (I've always enjoyed forums as a form of social media) and found GG. I then read back through all the threads and stalked the phan directory to find out as much information as possible. Now I can't seem to leave the phandom, totally sucked in.
:prideheart: :gayaf: :prideheart:
Zaz
dank meme

I knew that they were youtubers because i've watched the youtubers react for a while (a few years at least) and i had seen them on it a few times, but didn't think really much of them, and since i'm a heavy procrastinator, i stayed clear from youtube as i spent already a huge amount of time on binge watching and fanfiction... :)

I got really interested in youtube/youtubers dynamics around september last year and i ended up really watching Dan's video (i can't remember which one i saw first, but i found the shipping video hilarious and accurate, and i watched a few of his videos, and a few of Phil's) but I got really sucked into the phandom, and subcribed to d&p a month ago i think ? :oops: and i lurked a bit on tumblr before i found the thread on gg, which got me way too involved in their relationship...

It's just so interesting to speculate, and you can see, whatever you think they are, that they have something special. They attracted a fanbase that's kinda of mindblowing when you think about it, and they seem to be decent guys so instead of losing interest after a few weeks, i ended up signing into your little community!

I already lost any sense of objectivity towards them i think, or it's too soon to be bored (and i'm easy to please anyway), they're just so cute...
English is not my first language, sorry for any mistakes!
swofro
angel bean

I'm really not sure when exactly I first watch Dan. I think it was back at 2011 as a very casual viewer, I watch a few of his videos but I don't subscribe to him. (I only subscribe to Charlieissocoollike, littleradge, nerimon and Michael Aranda because charlie is such a sweetheart and I love their dynamics as friends)

What got me subscribe to Dan eventually is 'I will go down eith this ship' Hahaha. I was also subscribe to Jacksgap at that point, and found their collabs are hillarious.

When shitstorm happens with nerimon , I stop watching youtube for a while. I can't remember when I started watching again, honestly.

I think I check out and subscribe to Phil when they made the gaming channel announcement. But I'm not interested in the gaming channel for reason I can't remember. Finally subscribe to gaming channel during Dilmas because 'wow, they made lots of videos and I'm sitting here wondering when danisnotonfire going to upload a new video'.

Somewhere along finding Phil and gaming channel, I found voldy from a comment in a vid, telling people to google it. I google and bam, found it. I went to tumblr for more substances and find all the things in phandirectory, and become invested in their dynamic.

Found the website that should not be named by accident while I'm trying to find Tabinof spoiler because I will receive it two weeks late. :D
Love is forever
mez29
procrastinator

I had a friend who wrote phanfic and didn't tell anyone. I found her blog and was intrigued by the fact she was keeping a massive fandom completely secret and separate from her other online activities. After reading through most of it I decided I had to watch some of the videos to understand it. By that point there was no turning back …

i am creepy sorry
angrymob
hobbit hair

mez29 wrote:I had a friend who wrote phanfic and didn't tell anyone. I found her blog and was intrigued by the fact she was keeping a massive fandom completely secret and separate from her other online activities. After reading through most of it I decided I had to watch some of the videos to understand it. By that point there was no turning back …

i am creepy sorry
Did you ever tell her and bond over your new obssession? Or better yet, blame her for ruining your life in a dramatic quarrel?
DryCereal
koi pond

Sunday night radio show. Used to keep me sane when I was duty manager at an outdoor activity centre in the arse end of nowhere in S. Wales. Then they popped up on YTers React, (so yes Daniel, there ARE people who recognised you from the radio!!) so I went from there to their channels, fell down the rabbithole and here I am. Still(!)

Finding GG, and whilst lurking there the Phan timeline and about Voldy (watched about 45 secs of it, made me feel very shamefully voyeuse-ish & uncomfortable - read transcript though) made me go from "Aww they're cute together, I'm happy for them" assumption of couple-ness to.... fuck, I don't know. Whatever massive hypocritical of pheels I am atm.

Most of the time it's still a comfortable "I think they're together, and if they're happy that's enough for me, but I'm nosy AF and want to know more" type thing.
IckleMissMayhem's evil fic writing alter ego. :twisted:
kooshka
living flop

I found them a bit over a year ago. A baking video, can't remember which one though, was in my recommendations, so I watched it, liked it and proceeded to watch more vids every time one showed up in my rec feed. I think the first thought I had was, unsurprisingly, "oooh what a cute couple" :D I didn't really think too much of them and just kept casually watching, until they went to Japan and met Mimei & Duncan and I got really excited that they were friends with them (they were my fav YT couple and still are), so I tried to search to see if there maybe were any more pictures/info on what they did during the trip. And then I found out that they in fact were not together. My world was crushed but I decided to just say fuck it and went on a quest to find proof that they're at least not as platonic as they seem and that's how I found the phandom. I can't remember the last time I got so excited over a mere ship, but I read through like all the stuff I could find on GG, tumblr archives etc.
Kathrynxjane
janice from the shop
Pronouns: She/Her

It was in 2013. (Not really obsessed with Youtube back then)

I was searching for Draw my Life's and I cam across Dan's. (Oh the memories of everyone doing that). It was the first video of Dan's I watched and then decided to watch more. I than subscribed because i found his videos #relatable
Of course than a couple of videos later he did the Tumblr tag with Amazingphil. I thought it was funny so I subscribed to Phil.

Back then I just thought they were friends and flatmates and of course I thought Dan was completely straight. Oh how things have changed since then.

It wasn't until Early 2015, around when they started the gaming channel, where I became obsessed and found you lot on "The website that will not be named". I than watched each video about 50 times and wanted everything to do with Deppy.
"You can't just pull it out and put it in without a plan." Dan Howell 2015
sunday
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

angrymob wrote:
mez29 wrote:I had a friend who wrote phanfic and didn't tell anyone. I found her blog and was intrigued by the fact she was keeping a massive fandom completely secret and separate from her other online activities. After reading through most of it I decided I had to watch some of the videos to understand it. By that point there was no turning back …

i am creepy sorry
Did you ever tell her and bond over your new obssession? Or better yet, blame her for ruining your life in a dramatic quarrel?
Yes what happened? I'm jealous haha as far as I know, no one I know IRL is a fan of D&P.

Personally I came across their videos in 2011 and casually watched, but didn't start getting really interested in them until 2014. Became full blown phan-trash towards the end of 2014
yupitsme
sofa crease

I got into the fandom when Troyler kinda died :lol: I guess I was subconsciously looking for a replacement and found Dan and Phil haha. There were also a lot of Troyler tumblrs that turned into Phandom tumblrs so I guess that 'converted' quite some people as well. I'd been subscribed for a longer time, but I was just casually watched their videos until then. I think Troyler 'collapsed' early 2015?

I started reading GG in March I think (yay exam procrastination). Youtube started recommending Dan/Phil videos to me in 2013 but because I disliked their haircuts I refused to click on them :mrgreen: I shouldn't be so judgey :oops: So I guess I subscribed at the end of 2013 or early 2014.
mez29
procrastinator

sunday wrote:
angrymob wrote:Did you ever tell her and bond over your new obssession? Or better yet, blame her for ruining your life in a dramatic quarrel?
Yes what happened? I'm jealous haha as far as I know, no one I know IRL is a fan of D&P.:
She had already moved on from D & P by the time I got properly into it. A dramatic quarrel would have been much more fun :(
sweetmm
angel bean
Pronouns: She/Her

I was following a German soap opera "Verbotene Liebe" in early 2010 as I was an avid fan of Christian & Oliver; youtube kept recommending me PINOF which look like a home-made boyfriends video to me and one night I caved in and clicked

The rest is history.
syzygy
drama llama

i knew of dan and phil since about 2011 but i never watched their videos. then in 2014 I saw their gaming channel announcement video and decided to check it out and loved their chemistry. i always assumed people just shipped them as opposed to them actually being a couple, but then i stumbled across thephandirectory and after hours of reading through it i was converted.
backin09
living flop

I used to be a very active member of the instagram book/tv fandoms like harry potter, doctor who etc and sometimes i saw people metioning their favourite youtubers (including d+p most of the time) and a few months before i started watching them i went on dans instagram and i was like " 'kay cool, whatever :lol: " AND THEN, one morning, on April 11th 2015 ( :lol: ) i searched "Dan and Phil" on youtube and i was like "wtf? danisnotonfire, amazingphil? which one is the right account :facepalm:. i clicked on dan's channel first (i think) and watched "audience participation fear" and i really enjoyed it. after that i checked out phil's youtube and watched the easter baking video i subscribed to them instantly and became a "phan" :oops: i didn't really understand why people had fan accounts etc for youtubers, but something in them gave me this "phangirl feeling" :oops:
on the same day i googled "are dan and phil a couple?" (because i saw many people calling them a couple) and a yahoo page popped up and everyone was saying they are so i obviously believed it :lol: soon after i found out that it's not exactly true and i was like "ok whatever i still ship them". i found gg through phantaray on tumblr, everyone was like "gg blabla" and i didn't understand what gg meant eventually i found out and i've been gg trash until now (now i'm idb trash :wink:) even though i haven't been in the 'phandom' for a very long time, i think i pretty much know everything (thanks to all the gg threads, i read all of them and they were really entertaining, better than most tv shows tbh :lol:.i found out about the vday vid under a youtube video in may, looked it up, found it very quickly and watched it and i swore to never watch it again.. oh how times have changed :wink: ) my opinion on phan now: i don't know, and i don't care (i'd still like to know if they were/are together though.). I ship them very much and i think they'd make a great couple. If they are together - yaaaay, finally a ship that is canon, if they have other partners, that's great as well!
without the internet, we never would have met
Anonymousse
flower crown
Pronouns: Any

I had seen a few Dan and Phil videos before this and 2 of them when they came out....
(Get down and Phillipa)

But I became obsessed this January. Had a break from Uni, saw a video, was like "hmm, they act... different" Went to Hadid and BAM!
But who the fuck am I kidding? I'm mostly just the rotting banana peel at the bottom of the phan trash can who genuinely gets excited over the thought of them snuggling in bed. Idgaf let a bitch live
- Manged

yonahime
glabella

i'm a frequent tumblr user so i knew they're pretty popular on Youtube who got shipped a lot because they're friends, but i always scoffed at the idea because i thought it's pretty much like any other rpf (actually just one) i used to get into when i was a teen until i grew tired of its drama and dislike rpf shippers especially when they crossed the lines.

so i ignored them, didn't watch their videos, didn't even know they lived together. i remember thinking that they probably didn't see each other much, only sometimes for a video and people were exaggerating the looks on those gifs. i didn't even understand youtubers, how they make money and stuff, how there're like big, big fandom around it.

and then, then last year around august, i stumbled upon Dan's how not to stay cool video, thinking it was interesting, and i got hooked. It was funny and i was bored, so then i clicked another and then another. and that lead to Phil's video. and the gaming channel. what sealed the deal for me was the gaming channel, actually. i love watching people playing game and get competitive lol i live for their bants

after a whole lot of videos, i realized they're actually roommates, got curious about their relationship, found a bunch of things that made me :shock: (the fact that their past is so easy to dig is so creepy actually, i feel somehow bad about it, but not really complaining) and stalk gg dnp subforum but never register cause it's kind of scary there (not really dnp subforum, but the site itself).

their relationship is very intriguing, but even if there's no forum commenting and speculating everything about them, i think i'd still watch their videos religiously (when they actually post *sigh*).

This forum is still gold though. I love it. Thank you very much for the people who decided to create it. Also, thank god i caught the link that get post in gg before it got deleted.
iero
phabergé

i found phil's videos in 2009 from the confused.com advert. i found him cute so i went searching (creep)
i found dan's videos from phil later on i think. i was a casual viewer for a while, i only really got into them last year.
internetakeover
lady door
Pronouns: they/them

This thread is so interesting to read, such a variety of answers! I first got into them/YT in general back in early 2010, though I don't really remember how! I loved their content and was super curious about their relationship and finally found my way to the old y_slash lj community, which really cemented my interest in D&P (along with a bunch of other YTers who I now hate even thinking about *shudders*). I actually stopped watching them for a couple of years starting in 2012, after Dan read someone's fic out in I Will Go Down With This Ship and the start of in general, along with a new shiny toy coming along in the form of the 1D fandom.

I never unfollowed them on twitter though, weirdly, and was fairly aware of what was going on with them/YT in general even though I'd stopped watching. I watched the first couple gaming channel videos out of curiosity after seeing them linked on twitter and loved them, but was intimidated by the amount to catch up on so didn't really get back into them until I ended up using it as exam procrastination in January 2015, which was also when I found GG! I've drifted from GG a little since then, but not from the fandom overall, and now this new forum has come along at just the right time for procrastination on my final year exams, oops! /o\